Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
About Paizo Messageboards News Paizo Blog Help/FAQ
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

PaizoCon 2014!

Release of a Large size player race?


Pathfinder RPG General Discussion


Dear Paizo,

I've been wondering lately with the release of the advanced race guide approaching as to whether there will be a large sized player race (ex. Half giant). I think it would add an interesting aspect to game play, especially if you are a pariah in the group. Who's going to want to fight a half-giant right? And on a personal level I would love to play as a race such as that without having to delve into the monsters as PCs rules.

Cheliax

You will probably get a Medium race with a ability that makes you count as large for certain situations, since a Large creature (IMHO) will be a bit to OP compared to the standard races.


Good point. I just figured with the horrendous negatives to most non-strength, non-con abilities and the need to squeeze through almost all medium sized areas and the elimination of all small sized areas that it would even out. Really interested in seeing if anything comes of it.

Silver Crusade

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Card Game, Companion Subscriber

The need to squeeze thru 80% of printed material would be a killer.

Silver Crusade RPG Superstar 2014 Top 16

Ham of Hammers wrote:

Dear Paizo,

I've been wondering lately with the release of the advanced race guide approaching as to whether there will be a large sized player race (ex. Half giant). I think it would add an interesting aspect to game play, especially if you are a pariah in the group. Who's going to want to fight a half-giant right? And on a personal level I would love to play as a race such as that without having to delve into the monsters as PCs rules.

Since the Advanced Race Guide playtest has rules for making a Large-size player character, I'd say it's definitely going to happen. For example, I could make a half-giant for you right now using those rules:

Half-giant
Large humanoid (giant) (7 RP)
Normal speed (0 RP)
Greater Paragon modifiers, +4 Str, -2 Dex, -2 Cha (-1 RP) <-- (This gives a total of +6 Str, -4 Dex and -2 Cha when you include size modifiers)
Linguist language array, Common and giant, can take any language as bonus (2 RP)
Low-light vision (1 RP)
Natural Attack (slam) (1 RP)
Reach (1 RP)
Total: 11 RP

Racial options available: Rock throwing, rock catching, elemental affinity

Cheliax

You must cut down 1 ability and keep it at 10 also which is "standard".

I'm now saying you can't do it, hell I can do a "lesser" aasimar also with that guide, but let's face it a Half-Giant fighter level 1 is not CR 1/2 for an NPC.

There is a template that makes you Large and the known benefits of being large, I can already see all player stating as large creatures ^^ abusing this.

Silver Crusade RPG Superstar 2014 Top 16

Deiros wrote:

You must cut down 1 ability and keep it at 10 also which is "standard".

I'm now saying you can't do it, hell I can do a "lesser" aasimar also with that guide, but let's face it a Half-Giant fighter level 1 is not CR 1/2 for an NPC.

There is a template that makes you Large and the known benefits of being large, I can already see all player stating as large creatures ^^ abusing this.

I don't see why it would HAVE to be 10 points, the Aasimar is 13 points and it's perfectly legal to play in MOST games. However, if you insist I would probably drop the slam natural attack and make that a racial trait.

Cheliax

I'm saying it because at the end you can see the break down of the standard races and they all add up to 10. I think aasimar was like 15 but that might just be me ^^.


Both the Aasimar and Suli-jann in the books they appear in are imbalances ability modifier wise. Facing no negatives with two positive boosts, plus spell-like and racial abilities. And on a whole when you offer a party of adventurers all player races as available options they tend to stick to what is familiar or easiest to manage. I made a campaign recently using Kingmaker and 4 of 5 picked humans and the other picked an elf even with all options available. This leads me to believe that unless someone has very creative roots and advanced player knowledge will they pursue something of this level, otherwise it would be dismissed as a waste of time (excluding min/max players)

Silver Crusade RPG Superstar 2014 Top 16

Ham of Hammers wrote:
Both the Aasimar and Suli-jann in the books they appear in are imbalances ability modifier wise. Facing no negatives with two positive boosts, plus spell-like and racial abilities. And on a whole when you offer a party of adventurers all player races as available options they tend to stick to what is familiar or easiest to manage. I made a campaign recently using Kingmaker and 4 of 5 picked humans and the other picked an elf even with all options available. This leads me to believe that unless someone has very creative roots and advanced player knowledge will they pursue something of this level, otherwise it would be dismissed as a waste of time (excluding min/max players)

I agree with Ham, I happen to play with Min/Maxers but in general, most new players stick with core stuff because it's relatively simple, or they go crazy and try to come up with something that has to be house-ruled in cuz it sounds fun. :-P


Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber
Gorbacz wrote:
The need to squeeze thru 80% of printed material would be a killer.

I had a player play a Large Ironborn (from Rite's Ironborn) in the Haunting of Harrowstone. After his first session, he realized he would never fit in any structure made for man.

He downsized next session.

Silver Crusade RPG Superstar 2014 Top 16

Deiros wrote:
I'm saying it because at the end you can see the break down of the standard races and they all add up to 10. I think aasimar was like 15 but that might just be me ^^.

Aasimar is a total of 13, drow is 14, and drow noble is a whopping 22! They're all playable races, though of course the DM has to realize that they have some more power than base races. The way I play races with higher abilities is to give any characters that start with a base race a bonus feat (or even two, depending) to level them out. Since a bonus feat is worth 4 RP, giving a human in a party of Aasimars an extra bonus feat matches them up perfectly.

Taldor

Pathfinder Adventure Path Charter Subscriber; Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Companion, Modules, Roleplaying Game, Tales Subscriber

Why call it a half-giant? Why can't a large size humanoid just be a giant?


Large size category starts at 9 feet correct? If this is the case I could see it being entirely possible for a character not exceeding this minimum height requirement to fit in "most places" as I assume buildings built then are built as they are now (roughly) with a little extra head room to place large furniture. Combat situations may vary, from a GM's point of view.


Full giants are usually of unwieldy size and frowned upon and feared by society. Half-giants have traits more resembling their human (or other humanoid) halves and could just be considered a wondersome freak or an extreme case of warrior society breeding (jungle cultures mostly).

Silver Crusade RPG Superstar 2014 Top 16

Zootcat wrote:
Why call it a half-giant? Why can't a large size humanoid just be a giant?

The only reason is that calling it a giant makes it seem like it should have all the abilities that giants normally have, including rock catching and throwing, from the beginning. Half-giant at least suggests that the giant abilities have been diluted by a smaller race.


Well, thank you everyone for the input. It seems my question has been answered and then some. I am looking forward to the ARG very much and now even more so. Have a good one

Qadira

couldn't you just run a Permanincy Enlarged PC?

Lantern Lodge

the Aasimaar and Suli though they have no negative stats in thier original sources. are overcharged for some rather worthless abilities.

the aasimaar is charged 3 points for daylight. if you dropped this, it would be fine.

the suli is being charged for four times what they are getting from thier elemental assault. they only get it once a day. they should make the Suli version the standard 1RP version of the ability. and they pay for darkvision, despite not getting it. unlike most native outsiders. this would balance out the cost to an even 10.

i will work on balancing out the nekogami again.

the tiefling would balance out if you dropped either the darkness spell or fiendish sorcery.


4 people marked this as a favorite.
Zootcat wrote:
Why call it a half-giant?

Because Oneandahalfling just doesn't roll of the tongue


bah, permanent polymorph. Enjoy your new life as a stonegiant thats large, strong and has pretty good natural armour.

Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Publishing / Pathfinder® / Pathfinder RPG / General Discussion / Release of a Large size player race? All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.