Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
About Paizo Messageboards News Paizo Blog Help/FAQ
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

RPG Superstar 2015

PaizoCon 2015

Creating the TARDIS


Conversions


I was just thinking wouldn't it be really cool to have the tradis. Could it be made with the magic item creation rules?

Some things the tradis can do

1. It is bigger on the inside (maybe create demiplane)
2. It can travel between two points in space (teleport or greater teleport and plane shift)
3. It is impregnable "The Assembled Hordes of Genghis Khan Couldn't Get Through Those Doors, and Believe Me, They've Tried" (don't know but there are some defense spells)

4. travels in time (I don't really need this and don't think it can be done with the rules lets ignore it would make the GM likely to allow it anyway)

Well any idea. I know It could just make it a plot device, but I want to actually make it and figure out how much it would cost.


Try this as a starting point.

RPG Superstar 2008 Top 32

The TARDIS is a minor artifact: No one today can make a new one, but there's more than one in existence.


That is a good place to start MMM for-fills 1 and 3

so

Mage's magnificent mansion constant effect
caster lv 13 spell level 7

so 13*7*2000=182,000 gp is a good starting point


Ross Byers wrote:
The TARDIS is a minor artifact: No one today can make a new one, but there's more than one in existence.

Does that mean it's stated somewhere?


Rope Trick. It's bigger on the inside.
Silent Image. To disguise your rope trick and to create remarkable alien vistas.
Ghost Sound. For the "parking brake" sound.
Bluff and Bardic Knowledge. Presentation is key.

All available at low levels!


Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber
Marius Castille wrote:

Rope Trick. It's bigger on the inside.

Silent Image. To disguise your rope trick and to create remarkable alien vistas.
Ghost Sound. For the "parking brake" sound.
Bluff and Bardic Knowledge. Presentation is key.

All available at low levels!

You forget the random travelling through time and space. Greater Teleport and Time Stop, maybe Wish.


Dabbler wrote:
Marius Castille wrote:

Rope Trick. It's bigger on the inside.

Silent Image. To disguise your rope trick and to create remarkable alien vistas.
Ghost Sound. For the "parking brake" sound.
Bluff and Bardic Knowledge. Presentation is key.

All available at low levels!

You forget the random travelling through time and space. Greater Teleport and Time Stop, maybe Wish.

That's what Bluff is for. . .


Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber
Marius Castille wrote:
Dabbler wrote:
Marius Castille wrote:

Rope Trick. It's bigger on the inside.

Silent Image. To disguise your rope trick and to create remarkable alien vistas.
Ghost Sound. For the "parking brake" sound.
Bluff and Bardic Knowledge. Presentation is key.

All available at low levels!

You forget the random travelling through time and space. Greater Teleport and Time Stop, maybe Wish.
That's what Bluff is for. . .

Here's a challenge: if you can jump off a cliff and just use your Bluff skill to defeat the Law of Gravity, I'll let you have that one ...


The Tardis a MINOR artifact?


By another reasoning, it should be in a bestiary, not in loot tables- they are grown, not made.

A TARDIS might be a minor artifact, depending on the status of the time-war and Gallifrey; there were a lot of them, and they all varied a bit.

"The TARDIS", aka "The Doctor's Magic Box", is probably a major artifact, there is only really one TARDIS flying around after the time-war became time-locked. It contains the soul of time to make people a god essentially (the others did too, but we're looking at the things this TARDIS did), it is alive and thinking and may be reasoned to as an intelligent item (Doctor's Wife, one of my favorite episodes). In this case something like Jack's/River's Vortex Manipulator things would be minor artifacts I imagine... And Jack has a McGuffin to be, supposedly the rock on his desk is a piece or TARDIS coral that will grow over time.

The "tardis" used by the other Doctor (Tenth Special) is just an air balloon and bluff checks against your own will :P

Interesting to think about, but I don't know that there is a simple way to just "have a TARDIS" in Pathfinder besides as some level of an artifact. Something a wise, crazy mage researched and made in ages long past.


It also grants Tongues (ability to speak foreign languages) within a certain radius.


SPOILER ALERT
(this whole thread should be tagged as such but fans probably know all this already)

It would also be an intelligent artifact that communicates through empathy (remember the "Doctor's Wife"?)

Being able to change the past is something way beyond the scope of the rules--however I can count very few times when the Doctor has actually done that. In the Whoniverse, changing the past is close to impossible and dangerous to even try.

Usually, they visit a time period and find some kind of trouble there.

In game terms, the TARDIS should be able to teleport AND Plane Shift.

(Would a Pathfinder Doctor Who RPG be possible?)


The TARDIS is plot device, so it can do whatever you want it to do.

And in the series, that is exactly what it does.


darth_borehd wrote:

SPOILER ALERT

(this whole thread should be tagged as such but fans probably know all this already)

It would also be an intelligent artifact that communicates through empathy (remember the "Doctor's Wife"?)

Being able to change the past is something way beyond the scope of the rules--however I can count very few times when the Doctor has actually done that. In the Whoniverse, changing the past is close to impossible and dangerous to even try.

Usually, they visit a time period and find some kind of trouble there.

In game terms, the TARDIS should be able to teleport AND Plane Shift.

(Would a Pathfinder Doctor Who RPG be possible?)

There is a Doctor Who RPG as it is. Look it up, it's not half bad.

RPG Superstar 2015 Top 32

IMO:

The TARDIS is a plot device. It gains abilities as needed, many of which are contradictory and/or go away later when they are no longer convenient (the TARDIS is infinite in size in the interior but you can jettison a quarter of it, the TARDIS has a state of temporal grace which disallows weapon fire until it doesn't) (and yes, I know the latter was later lampshaded as a bluff). It is an item that exists to get the heroes where they need to be for the story to happen, and does whatever it needs to for that to occur. Sometimes it is the setting/the villain/the hero/all of the above for the story itself.

But you precisely don't want to stat it out, because no matter what abilities you give it, you will end up only limiting its potential.

I realize it's still fun trying, but that's just my opinion. :)

Grand Lodge

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Roleplaying Game, Tales Subscriber
Ross Byers wrote:
The TARDIS is a minor artifact: No one today can make a new one, but there's more than one in existence.

I thought the Doctor's was the last one left, all the others either being destroyed in the Time War or having been eaten by House.


Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber
KylenPhylar wrote:
There is a Doctor Who RPG as it is. Look it up, it's not half bad.

The one by FASA? I have it here. It was OK, but the mechanics were clunky, for a skills-based system.

Contributor

It's no TARDIS, but I did randomly make this a few days ago:

donato wrote:

MINOR ARTIFACT

Screwdriver, Sonic
Aura strong transmutation; CL 20th
Slot none; Weight 1 lb.

DESCRIPTION

This small, metallic rod is covered in buttons and strange symbols, with a rounded blue gem at one end. Activation of the screwdriver emits a faint blue light. When active and pointed at an object, the screwdriver allows for the use of any sort of mechanical or electronic device and can reproduce the effects of Disable Device or Use Magic Device.

The scredriver can activate, disable, reset, or generally manipulate any object capable of being used via Disable Device or Use Magic Device. As a standard action, it can automatically suceed on any attempt to use these skills that is of DC 20 or lower. For every 10 above the DC, the use requires another standard action with the screwdriver pointed at the object.

With the screwdriver it is also possible to reorder the functions of any mechanical, non-organic creatures, such as constructs and robots. Doing so requires one standard action per hit die of the creature.

DESTRUCTION

The sonic screwdriver can be destroyed if thrown into the core of a collapsing star.

Grand Lodge

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Roleplaying Game, Tales Subscriber
DeathQuaker wrote:

IMO:

The TARDIS is a plot device. It gains abilities as needed, many of which are contradictory and/or go away later when they are no longer convenient (the TARDIS is infinite in size in the interior but you can jettison a quarter of it,

And then regrow the jettisoned rooms or make new ones when you have surplus energy as the Doctor made new bedrooms for Rory and Amy after they got rid of House. Although apparently it took some convincing not to stock it with a bunk bed. And the TARDIS apparantly keeps archives of rooms that haven't been made yet.

Some rooms do seem irreplaceable, such as the Zero Room which was jettisoned during the Fifth Doctor's regeneration crisis.

There actually have been TARDIS-like objects in D20 lore. One of the old Dragon magazines had a layout for Babba Yaga's Hut which is pretty much TARDIS like in it's interior spacing.

RPG Superstar 2015 Top 32

Dabbler wrote:
KylenPhylar wrote:
There is a Doctor Who RPG as it is. Look it up, it's not half bad.
The one by FASA? I have it here. It was OK, but the mechanics were clunky, for a skills-based system.

I believe he's referring to the more recent one by Cubicle 7.

The system itself, which is relatively rules-light, is pretty good (and I think indeed less clunky than FASA). Personally I found the organization of the box lacking and sections of the books poorly written (the pre-made adventures are AWFUL) but the presentation's nice, production quality is good, and the mechanics are easy to learn and fun to play.


Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber

Cool. I'll have to take a gander at it some time.

Dark Archive

Interplanetary Teleport
School conjuration (teleportation); Level cleric 9, sorcerer/wizard 9
Casting Time 1 standard action
Components V
Range personal and touch
Target you and touched objects or other touched willing creatures
Duration instantaneous
Saving Throw none and Will negates (object); Spell Resistance no and yes (object)
This spell functions as teleport, except there is truly no range limit and you do not need to have seen your destination, though you must have a solid grasp of which world you wish to travel to (“the third planet from the sun” is an acceptable destination, but “a habitable world near that bright star” is not). If you have a specific location on a planet in mind, you arrive there without a chance of failure; otherwise you arrive at a location that would not immediately be life-threatening. If no such safe landing zone exists on the world, such as someone attempting to travel into the sun without the proper precautions in place, the spell simply fails.

Teleport Through Time
Transmutation [Teleportation]
Level: Sor/Wiz 9
Components: V, S, M, XP
Casting Time: 1 round
Range: Personal and touch
Target: The character and touched objects or other touched willing creatures weighing up to 50 lb./level
Duration: Instantaneous
Saving Throw: None and Will negates (object)
Spell Resistance: No and Yes (object)
A far more powerful version of the teleport spell, this spell instantly transports the character to the same location, but to a different time. Interplanar travel is not possible, and the spell fails on any plane where time is meaningless. The character can bring along objects and willing creatures totaling up to 50 pounds per caster level. Unwilling creatures cannot be affected by this spell. Only objects held or in use (attended) by another person receive saving throws and spell resistance.
To cast this spell, the character must be able to state the arrival time accurately, down to the minute. The spell never transports the caster and companions to the precise minute desired, but it cannot function at all without a specific minute in time to target. This "drift" effect of not arriving at the precise time desired grows with the "distance" through time (measured in years, months, and weeks) traveled. Thus, a caster teleporting to last month arrives closer to her goal than one traveling 250 years. The minimum temporal distance traveled is 1 day, so this spell is not useful for going back to the beginning of a melee that is still progressing.
This spell requires some knowledge of the destination time, so it cannot transport anyone into the future since the future is entirely unknown to the caster. Even spells that give knowledge of the future cannot give definite enough knowledge to allow this spell to work. It is possible to use this spell to travel forward in time, but only to the point in the caster's life when the caster first went back in time.
Since the caster may not know exactly what is transpiring at the destination time, prudent time-travelers prepare for the worst.
The errors in arrival for this spell occur in time rather than in location, since the character does not change locations at all.

To see how closely the character arrives to the planned arrival time, consult this table... more on the spell here: http://www.realmshelps.net/faerun/portals/time/spells.shtml

Grand Lodge

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Roleplaying Game, Tales Subscriber
Ross Byers wrote:
The TARDIS is a minor artifact: No one today can make a new one, but there's more than one in existence.

I think that anything that can destroy the entire universe if it explodes, deserves a couple of steps up from "minor".

Dark Archive

LazarX wrote:
I think that anything that can destroy the entire universe if it explodes, deserves a couple of steps up from "minor".

Agreed, at least a Major Artifact if not a Unique Artifact given the fact since the Time War there is only one that can be found... at least only one functional. Especially if it makes an appearance in a Pathfinder/D&D campaign.


Each of the Tardis are Minor Artifacts + Major Artifacts + Alien God Thingies.

The Doctor's TARDIS work more on willpower than anything else since most of the technology in it is damaged/broken.


Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber
LazarX wrote:

There actually have been TARDIS-like objects in D20 lore. One of the old Dragon magazines had a layout for Babba Yaga's Hut which is pretty much TARDIS like in it's interior spacing.

When the Reign of Winter AP and the artefact sourcebook (Artefacts and Legends) came out, there were some joking references in the forums to Baba Yaga's TARDICH (Time And Relative Dimension In Chicken Hut). :)

(Technically, BY's Hut does not travel in time. It's just that year 4713 AR on Golarion corresponds to year 1918 CE/AD on "Pulp" Earth.)

If trying to replicate the Hut, some permanent form of the the Hidden Home grand hex (UM) and the Witch's Hut grand hex (UM) should be used. Add the Interplanetary Teleport spell and some other outer space-related spells (for those moments when one opens the front door in vacuum so as to admire a nebula or a planet's ice rings). And Magnificent Mansion for the "larger on the inside" effect.

Dark Archive

So lets recap the spells involved:
Interplanetary Teleport: to allow movement anywhere within the same plane and through space.

Teleport Through Time: to allow movement anywhere through time past or future on the same plane.

Planeshift (or even Greater Planeshift): to allow movement to any plane and any place on such.

Tongues: to allow communication in any language to be understood when within a certain radius of the Tardis.

Ghost Sound: to allow for the 'EERrwWwoooooSHHHhEERrwWwoooooSHHHhEERrwWwoooooSHHHh' sound of the Tardis materializing or dematerializing after travel.

Mage's Magnificent Mansion: possibly, to allow for 'bigger on the inside' effect. Yet perhaps with the spell Demiplane in effect since the inside is always expanding and is considered so large one could grow old and die before exploring the whole thing.

Wish: to tie it all together and have the other spells permanently in effect... though only during the creation process.
--------------------------------

Also, given all the spells involved, there is no way a Tardis would be able to count as a Minor Artifact even if the Time Lords make multiples of such a device.The Two 9th Level spells Interplanetary Teleport and Teleport Through Time alone I feel would boost it to that level, more so with the other spells.

Grand Lodge

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Roleplaying Game, Tales Subscriber
KylenPhylar wrote:
darth_borehd wrote:

SPOILER ALERT

(this whole thread should be tagged as such but fans probably know all this already)

It would also be an intelligent artifact that communicates through empathy (remember the "Doctor's Wife"?)

Being able to change the past is something way beyond the scope of the rules--however I can count very few times when the Doctor has actually done that. In the Whoniverse, changing the past is close to impossible and dangerous to even try.

Usually, they visit a time period and find some kind of trouble there.

In game terms, the TARDIS should be able to teleport AND Plane Shift.

(Would a Pathfinder Doctor Who RPG be possible?)

There is a Doctor Who RPG as it is. Look it up, it's not half bad.

It's not only not half bad, it's a game that does a better job on it's worst day of replicating the Dr. Who experience, than Pathfinder can on it's best. To clarify, I'm speaking of the Cubicle 7 game, not the FASA one.

Dark Archive

LazarX wrote:
It's not only not half bad, it's a game that does a better job on it's worst day of replicating the Dr. Who experience, than Pathfinder can on it's best. To clarify, I'm speaking of the Cubicle 7 game, not the FASA one.

Only for those roleplayers who believe that Pathfinder/D&D works only as a combat heavy, tabletop system.


This might be something to look into for some of its effects, though obviously it has some differences.

Dark Archive

Also, conserning the Cubicle 7 sourcebooks... they only go to the 8th Doctor. If I were to bring in 'The Doctor' as a DM, I would want it to be the 10th Doctor so those sourcebooks aren't as helpful in my eyes.

My thoughts would be for it to be a mysterious figure in a 'strange blue box', a Reincarnated Oracle of Time... or a Time Warden using the class offered in the The Genius Guide to the Time Warden.

Yet this is about making the Tardis not the Doctor.


Bellona wrote:
LazarX wrote:

There actually have been TARDIS-like objects in D20 lore. One of the old Dragon magazines had a layout for Babba Yaga's Hut which is pretty much TARDIS like in it's interior spacing.

When the Reign of Winter AP and the artefact sourcebook (Artefacts and Legends) came out, there were some joking references in the forums to Baba Yaga's TARDICH (Time And Relative Dimension In Chicken Hut). :)

(Technically, BY's Hut does not travel in time. It's just that year 4713 AR on Golarion corresponds to year 1918 CE/AD on "Pulp" Earth.)

If trying to replicate the Hut, some permanent form of the the Hidden Home grand hex (UM) and the Witch's Hut grand hex (UM) should be used. Add the Interplanetary Teleport spell and some other outer space-related spells (for those moments when one opens the front door in vacuum so as to admire a nebula or a planet's ice rings). And Magnificent Mansion for the "larger on the inside" effect.

Dancing Hut of Baba Yaga

Bigger on the inside.
Layout changes.
Transports to different locations and worlds.
Actually a living Creature.
Plot Device.
Owner is a wise ancient enigmatic mythic meddler.

CL 30 major artifact.

The only thing it is missing is explicit time travel in the pathfinder version.


JonathonWilder wrote:
Also, conserning the Cubicle 7 sourcebooks... they only go to the 8th Doctor.
so far, the others are on the schedule.
Quote:

If I were to bring in 'The Doctor' as a DM, I would want it to be the 10th Doctor so those sourcebooks aren't as helpful in my eyes.

I believe that is the default assumption for C7's original game with 11 for the revised edition.

Dark Archive

Voadam wrote:
The only thing it is missing is explicit time travel in the pathfinder version.

Well as I mentioned one of their books, The Genius Guide groups seems to have created a number of sourcebooks for adding Time Travel to the game.

Another item of note which can be considered is the Scepter of Ages: http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic-items/artifacts/major-artifacts/scepter-of-ag es

Voadam wrote:

So far, the others are on the schedule.

I believe that is the default assumption for C7's original game with 11 for the revised edition.

Well I admit to be curious, having seem all of the episodes from Christopher Eccleston's Doctor to Matt Smith's Doctor, as well as recently seeing the movie An Adventure In Space And Time.

If I can get the money I plan on possibly buying the complete Doctor Who set for C7... at least as PDFs.

Dark Archive

Any other input on creating the Tardis for Pathfinder?

Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Publishing / Pathfinder® / Pathfinder RPG / Conversions / Creating the TARDIS All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2015 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.