Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
About Paizo Messageboards News Paizo Blog Help/FAQ
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

RPG Superstar 2015

My personal Warlock conversion


Conversions


Level Base Attack Bonus Fort Save Reflex Save Will Save Special Invocations Known
1 +0 +0 +0 +2 Eldritch Blast 1d6, Least Invocation 1
2 +1 +0 +0 +3 Detect Magic, DR/1 Cold Iron 2
3 +1 +1 +1 +3 Eldritch Blast 2d6, Bonus Feat 3
4 +3 +1 +1 +4 Deceive Item, DR/ 2 Cold Iron 4
5 +3 +1 +1 +4 Eldritch Blast 3d6, Bonus Feat 5
6 +4 +2 +2 +5 Lesser Invocation, DR/3 Cold Iron 6
7 +5 +2 +2 +5 Eldritch Blast 4d6, Medium Armor* 7
8 +6/+1 +2 +2 +6 Supernatural Resilience 2**, DR/4 Cold Iron 8
9 +6/+1 +3 +3 +6 Eldritch Blast 5d6, Bonus Feat 9
10 +7/+2 +3 +3 +7 Energy Resistance 10, DR/5 Cold Iron 10
11 +8/+3 +3 +3 +7 Eldritch Blast 6d6, Greater Invocation 11
12 +9/+4 +4 +4 +8 Imbue Item, DR/6 Cold Iron 12
13 +9/+4 +4 +4 +8 Eldritch Blast 7d6, Supernatural Resilience 5 13
14 +10/+5 +4 +4 +9 Heavy Armor*, DR/7 Cold Iron 14
15 +11/+6/+1 +5 +5 +9 Eldritch Blast 8d6, Bonus Feat 15
16 +12/+7/+2 +5 +5 +10 Dark Invocation, DR/8 Cold Iron 16
17 +12/+7/+2 +5 +5 +10 Eldritch Blast 9d6, Bonus Feat 17
18 +13/+8/+3 +6 +6 +11 Supernatural Resilience 10, DR/9 Cold Iron 18
19 +14/+9/+4 +6 +6 +11 Eldritch Blast 10d6, Bonus Feat 19
20 +15/+10/+5 +6 +6 +12 Changed Form***, Energy Resistance 20, DR/10 Cold Iron 20
D8 Hit Die
*As the Magus Ability
Skills: 4+ Int
Acrobatics, Bluff, Craft, Diplomacy, Disable Device, Fly, Intimidate, Knowledge (Arcana, Religion, Planes), Perception, Spellcraft, Stealth, Use Magic Device

*As the Magus

** As Fiendish Resilience, except where stated

***At 20th level the warlock becomes an outsider. S/he is treated as an outsider for the purpose of spells and magical effects. The warlock gains darkvision 60ft, and does not suffer ill effects from old age nor can die from old age. The warlock gains traits similar to the outside that his/her power is drawn from, such as feathered (vestigial) wings, horns, or various cosmetic changes. The warlock can be brought back from the dead as normal.

Anyone got an opinion? I know all those invocations seems like alot, but all the invocations are pretty weak, and it just gives some much needed versatility. What I'm worried about is the bonus feats might be much, but I'm trying to make it as useable as a magus, sorcerer, barbarian etc.... Its the same as the 3.5 warlock otherwise, and alignment restrictions are up to the DM. Feedback please!

Edit: I can't get the chart to work, hope you can understand it.

Also, I gave it the armor abilities because I intend to make it a glaivelock.


Why does everyone always want to give the warlock medium and heavy armor proficiency?


Ah, everyone? warlock I think not. But I do understand your point; The NPC. I think it has to do with the Magus and the fact that Paizo gave them medium and heavy armor proficiency, something I do not like. They should have stayed at light armor, like the bard.

Master Arminas


Instead using the old 3.5 invocations, you could use some of the words of power from Ultimate magic. I don't know, perhaps when they get another invocation, they can choose from a list of words, or try to make another word combining the ones already in existance ( as per usual rules, in a very personal combination that they could name after themselves, like Marmoretto's Grave Breath instead the plain Selected Ice Blast Life Leech ). Be picky with the effect word types you allow them to choose, 'cause they could cast'em at will, and don't allow them to spontaneously mix effect words ( the only combos of effect words, again, would be when they get a new invocation). Lose the arcane blast, and give them progresively more powerful attack words instead ( elemental words are a perfect solution).
You can rule that not every effect world family could be pursued up to 9th level ( I recommend only one or two, plus one elemental as I said, and 5 or six up to 6th) for every kind of warlock, and rule out some groups or specific effect power words. ( healing words, foremost)
There'd be too many bonus feats, then, if you mix this and your template: 1/5 would be more than enough to cope with the rest of the mixed spellcasting types, and it would be preferable a short list to choose from to a free selection.
Last, giving them DR and heavy armor would be, in any case, too much


leandro redondo wrote:

Instead using the old 3.5 invocations, you could use some of the words of power from Ultimate magic. I don't know, perhaps when they get another invocation, they can choose from a list of words, or try to make another word combining the ones already in existance ( as per usual rules, in a very personal combination that they could name after themselves, like Marmoretto's Grave Breath instead the plain Selected Ice Blast Life Leech ). Be picky with the effect word types you allow them to choose, 'cause they could cast'em at will, and don't allow them to spontaneously mix effect words ( the only combos of effect words, again, would be when they get a new invocation). Lose the arcane blast, and give them progresively more powerful attack words instead ( elemental words are a perfect solution).

You can rule that not every effect world family could be pursued up to 9th level ( I recommend only one or two, plus one elemental as I said, and 5 or six up to 6th) for every kind of warlock, and rule out some groups or specific effect power words. ( healing words, foremost)
There'd be too many bonus feats, then, if you mix this and your template: 1/5 would be more than enough to cope with the rest of the mixed spellcasting types, and it would be preferable a short list to choose from to a free selection.
Last, giving them DR and heavy armor would be, in any case, too much

But then I'd be just making them a slightly weak full caster... Warlock is more like a blaster with a bunch of utility


jpomzz wrote:
But then I'd be just making them a slightly weak full caster... Warlock is more like a blaster with a bunch of utility

I suggested using words of power because you can alter them in many ways on the fly, transforming their blast in the old ways of the blast shape and eldritch essence invocations without using any kind of feat.

Besides, the elemental effect word are quite blastersome. Take as an example electricity words: you will shoot rays causing 1d4/level up to 5th, then you'll change next word and start to inflict 1d6/level up to 10th, then you'll change to next word and inflict 1d8/level (maximum 15d8 to one target + 1/2 that damage to any other targets included in the effect)... on a burst-, line-, cone-, even barrierlike-, shape, whatever suits you at the moment, again and again and again...
If you are looking for something more physical, try this: substitute DR for a slightly modified Arcane strike (allowing them to use powerword caster level as caster level equivalent) as a class feature, and do the same with heavy armor and arcane shield


leandro redondo wrote:
jpomzz wrote:
But then I'd be just making them a slightly weak full caster... Warlock is more like a blaster with a bunch of utility

I suggested using words of power because you can alter them in many ways on the fly, transforming their blast in the old ways of the blast shape and eldritch essence invocations without using any kind of feat.

Besides, the elemental effect word are quite blastersome. Take as an example electricity words: you will shoot rays causing 1d4/level up to 5th, then you'll change next word and start to inflict 1d6/level up to 10th, then you'll change to next word and inflict 1d8/level (maximum 15d8 to one target + 1/2 that damage to any other targets included in the effect)... on a burst-, line-, cone-, even barrierlike-, shape, whatever suits you at the moment, again and again and again...
If you are looking for something more physical, try this: substitute DR for a slightly modified Arcane strike (allowing them to use powerword caster level as caster level equivalent) as a class feature, and do the same with heavy armor and arcane shield

Just kinda seems to go against the idea of the class, to me it just seemed like a warlock is an arcane version of a rogue, instead of rogue tricks, invocations. Instead of sneak attack, eldritch blast, ya know? Maybe just a little more oomph since the class has no support from splatbooks.

On another note, play tested it, and it's actually pretty balanced, if anything it under performs compared to a magus or witch. Only problem I've had is the DR/cold iron gets a bit excessive with combined with armor as DR variant rule, but that's solvable but just cutting the number in half if you're using that variant. Anyone got any ideas for any new invocations or archetypes i could give it?

I was thinking giving it some more "buff" invocations, like the +2 str and whatnot spells as invocations. Anyone know of balanced homebrew invocations?

Edit: I was also thinking, in regards to the armor abilities, give the option for iterative eldritch blasts according to BAB as a class "option" for it in case one doesn't want those abilities.

Also, I was thinking of drawing up some weak class features to give it those ranks where Mr warlock has bonus feats, because the amount of feats on there is a bit much.

Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Publishing / Pathfinder® / Pathfinder RPG / Conversions / My personal Warlock conversion All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.