Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
About Paizo Messageboards News Paizo Blog Help/FAQ
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

POLL: Your Favorite Joss Whedon TV Series?


Television

1 to 50 of 195 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | next > last >>

To Vote, simply *favorite* one post below:

( select only One )

.

POLL: Which is Your Favorite Joss Whedon TV Series?

.


18 people marked this as a favorite.

Buffy the Vampire Slayer (1997–2003)


13 people marked this as a favorite.

Angel (1999–2004)


89 people marked this as a favorite.

Firefly (2002)


3 people marked this as a favorite.

Dollhouse (2009–2010)


8 people marked this as a favorite.

I Hate Joss Whedon (forever...)


2 people marked this as a favorite.

========== END OF CHOICES ==========


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Roleplaying Game Subscriber

I voted for Firefly, though Buffy is a very VERY close second.


4 people marked this as a favorite.

Buffy would be number one if she was allowed to meet Edward Cullen and then kill him.


Pathfinder Comics Subscriber; Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Modules, Roleplaying Game, Tales Subscriber

I liked them all....but Dollhouse and Firefly had too short of a lifespan and was ended early.

Buffy the Vampire towards the end had a few really bad epsisodes...

Angel though was just about right.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

My hatred of whedon is well known and well documented.


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Freehold DM wrote:
My hatred of whedon is well known and well documented.

Not to mention, enjoyed by the rest of us.


Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Modules, Roleplaying Game Subscriber

Buffy is my favorite.


cool shindig.


I voted Angel. Oddly, largely because I loved the supporting cast. I never actually liked the main character very much. But I hang on Winifred Burkle's every word. And even the lousy plots had moments I still enjoyed. Plus it ended with quite a bang.

Buffy is fun, despite its ups and downs. But not stand out "best" in my mind--in part for all the moments that I really found to be phenomenal, there's JUST a few more where I just start screaming at the screen, "F%#& you, Joss Whedon!" I enjoyed Firefly mostly, but I didn't think much of about half the crew, and I felt episode quality varied widely. I don't see it as the Ultimate and Only Television Show Ever and Everything Else Is Crap phenomenon that a number of my friends see it as---and I think the rabid fandom also knocks it down a sight in my eyes. Dollhouse had tremendous potential and I really liked the first season, but the second season went rapidly downhill and it really and truly did deserve to be cancelled by the end. It focused on all the wrong characters and then the characters it did focus on it turned into caricatures (and Tahmoh Penikett's character should have been killed off halfway through the first season... by November... and the show would have been SOOOOO much better for it).


DeathQuaker wrote:


Buffy is fun, despite its ups and downs. But not stand out "best" in my mind--in part for all the moments that I really found to be phenomenal, there's JUST a few more where I just start screaming at the screen, "F%#& you, Joss Whedon!" I enjoyed Firefly mostly, but I didn't think much of about half the crew, and I felt episode quality varied widely. I don't see it as the Ultimate and Only Television Show Ever and Everything Else Is Crap phenomenon that a number of my friends see it as---and I think the rabid fandom also knocks it down a sight in my eyes. Dollhouse had tremendous potential and I really liked the first season, but the second season went rapidly downhill and it really and truly did deserve to be cancelled by the end. It focused on all the wrong characters and then the characters it did focus on it turned into caricatures (and Tahmoh Penikett's character should have been killed off halfway through the first season... by November... and the show would have been SOOOOO much better for it).

eyes well up with tears

It's so good to know I'm not alone. Except I did that with every episode.


Pathfinder Adventure Path Charter Subscriber; Pathfinder Companion Subscriber

Buffy.


Pathfinder Adventure Path Charter Subscriber; Pathfinder Modules Subscriber

Buffy
Firefly second


Firefly. By huge leaps and bounds.


Hitdice wrote:
Freehold DM wrote:
My hatred of whedon is well known and well documented.
Not to mention, enjoyed by the rest of us.

+1 to that. By the way, your Facebook page says that you LOVE Joss. Why do you lie about your man crush on Joss over here. We understand your lust of everything Joss. Just admit it.


The Avengers!!!

Oh. a TV series. Buffy, then Firefly and Angel. I have yet to watch Dollhouse.


Arnwyn wrote:
Firefly. By huge leaps and bounds.

+1

another +1 from my other half.


3 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber

Dr. Horrible's Sing Along Blog


What about Roseanne?


Dollhouse for me. You have to get past the first 7 episodes though. I think it would have benefited from a 3 season run a lot, but it works really well as a shorter series. There are so many post-apocalyptic stories out there, I enjoy seeing one that focuses on the run up to the cause of the apocalypse.

Silver Crusade

Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber

Buffy was good, but in all honesty when Joss left it should have been cancelled. Angel had its moments but it didn't do it for me. Didn't get to watch Dollhouse so that leaves only Firefly. Fox screwed the pooch on that one, then turned around and did the same to us. At least we got Serenity out of the deal.

If Doctor Horrible had been listed then I would have gone with that.

Shadow Lodge

Er, I'm pretty sure that Whedon worked on Buffy until the end.


I love them all, but have to put Firefly at the top.


Kthulhu wrote:
Er, I'm pretty sure that Whedon worked on Buffy until the end.

Yes, but his involvement was less later on. Between season 1 and 2, he wrote/co-wrote 13 episodes. In seasons 5, 6 and 7 he wrote a total of 6.


ANGEL.

BUFFY was great when it was on-form ('The Body' and 'Hush' are two of the best episodes of SFTV ever), but could be awful when it wasn't, and there's a lot of points in Seasons 4-7 when it's off-form (including most of the dull Season 5 and the brave but ultimately depressing Season 6).

FIREFLY was excellent, no doubt about it, but it's also only 14 episodes long, which isn't enough to compare with the two older and much longer series. FIREFLY could have gone on for many seasons of brilliance or it might have fallen off the cliff with the next episode, we don't and can't know. Both of the other series have many more than 14 great episodes to them, so for all its brilliance I can't have FIREFLY as my choice.

I haven't seen DOLLHOUSE.

So it really has to be ANGEL. Much more consistent in quality than BUFFY, with a harder and more ruthless edge to it that made for some really dramatic scenes and stories. The mid-Season 2 arc where Drusilla returns is brilliant for totally undercutting the viewer's expectations. The 'Beast' arc in Season 4 where the producers and writers go stark raving mad and start trying to outdo each other with increasingly mental and more apocalyptic cliffhangers is impressive. The intelligent and restrained use of Spike in Season 5 (as compared to his chronic overuse in later BUFFY seasons) was also admirable. Finally, the ending and the final episode were badass. "Let's go to work."


My favorite characters from the various shows:

Buffy: Xander. Didn't go to college and ended up the most successful of all the Scoobies. Which just goes to show that School Sucks! Also, Anya.

Angel: Wesley, but only in his early geek phase. As he starts wearing leather and gets darker and darker, my affections turn to Gunn.

Firefly: Jayne Cobb, along with Belkar from Order of the Stick and Jack Vance's Cugel, is a poster-boy for delightful Chaotic Evil behavior.

I, too, have never seen Dollhouse.

And, I always liked Darlene on Roseanne.


Meh.
Firefly did more in 14 episodes than Buffy or Angel ever did and I was a Buffy fan too. Firefly had so much potential IMHO.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Sharoth wrote:
Hitdice wrote:
Freehold DM wrote:
My hatred of whedon is well known and well documented.
Not to mention, enjoyed by the rest of us.
+1 to that. By the way, your Facebook page says that you LOVE Joss. Why do you lie about your man crush on Joss over here. We understand your lust of everything Joss. Just admit it.

I thought man crush meant that I wanted to crush him with my bare hands. Talk about a misunderstanding!

Waitaminute- I hate Facebook!


Kthulhu wrote:
Er, I'm pretty sure that Whedon worked on Buffy until the end.

More's the pity.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Modules, Roleplaying Game, Tales Subscriber
Freehold DM wrote:
My love of whedon is well known and well documented.

FIFY!


Doodlebug Anklebiter wrote:

My favorite characters from the various shows:

Buffy: Xander. Didn't go to college and ended up the most successful of all the Scoobies. Which just goes to show that School Sucks! Also, Anya.

Angel: Wesley, but only in his early geek phase. As he starts wearing leather and gets darker and darker, my affections turn to Gunn.

Firefly: Jayne Cobb, along with Belkar from Order of the Stick and Jack Vance's Cugel, is a poster-boy for delightful Chaotic Evil behavior.

I, too, have never seen Dollhouse.

And, I always liked Darlene on Roseanne.

My favorites:

Buffy: Anya and Tara. Hmm, I think I know why this show's not on the top of my favorites list.

Angel: Fred. And actually, I loved Illyria too, despite everything. Go figure.

Firefly: Kaylee (I think she and Zoe are the only characters I enjoyed consistently.)

Dollhouse: Adelle. But I liked nearly everyone except FBI!Helo (I've blocked my memory of his name. Please don't remind me, as the thought of even his fictional existence sends me into spasms of rage).


DeathQuaker wrote:
Doodlebug Anklebiter wrote:

My favorite characters from the various shows:

Buffy: Xander. Didn't go to college and ended up the most successful of all the Scoobies. Which just goes to show that School Sucks! Also, Anya.

Angel: Wesley, but only in his early geek phase. As he starts wearing leather and gets darker and darker, my affections turn to Gunn.

Firefly: Jayne Cobb, along with Belkar from Order of the Stick and Jack Vance's Cugel, is a poster-boy for delightful Chaotic Evil behavior.

I, too, have never seen Dollhouse.

And, I always liked Darlene on Roseanne.

My favorites:

Buffy: Anya and Tara. Hmm, I think I know why this show's not on the top of my favorites list.

Angel: Fred. And actually, I loved Illyria too, despite everything. Go figure.

Firefly: Kaylee (I think she and Zoe are the only characters I enjoyed consistently.)

Dollhouse: Adelle. But I liked nearly everyone except FBI!Helo (I've blocked my memory of his name. Please don't remind me, as the thought of even his fictional existence sends me into spasms of rage).

Okay. Even I didn't know I hated Whedonness THIS much- Upon reading that the Cobb fellow was considered some paragon of functional Chaotic Evilness, I decided to check up on the character. It turns out the actor and his fellow Firefly alum, Nathan Fillon, are voice actors in the ONE Halo game I just can't seem to get into- ODST.


Freehold DM wrote:
It turns out the actor and his fellow Firefly alum, Nathan Fillon, are voice actors in the ONE Halo game I just can't seem to get into- ODST.

Why am I not surprised? Did your Whedondar go off while watching Full Metal Jacket?


Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Modules, Roleplaying Game, Tales Subscriber
Doodlebug Anklebiter wrote:
Freehold DM wrote:
It turns out the actor and his fellow Firefly alum, Nathan Fillon, are voice actors in the ONE Halo game I just can't seem to get into- ODST.
Why am I not surprised? Did your Whedondar go off while watching Full Metal Jacket?

He probably can't watch Barney Miller anymore either..

Andoran

Pathfinder Deluxe Comics Subscriber; Pathfinder Adventure Path, Modules Subscriber

Firefly! Browncoats forever!

Shadow Lodge

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Doodlebug Anklebiter wrote:

My favorite characters from the various shows:

Buffy: Xander. Didn't go to college and ended up the most successful of all the Scoobies. Which just goes to show that School Sucks! Also, Anya.

Angel: Wesley, but only in his early geek phase. As he starts wearing leather and gets darker and darker, my affections turn to Gunn.

Firefly: Jayne Cobb, along with Belkar from Order of the Stick and Jack Vance's Cugel, is a poster-boy for delightful Chaotic Evil behavior.

I, too, have never seen Dollhouse.

And, I always liked Darlene on Roseanne.

Buffy: Anya. In the final couple of years, she was one of the few characters that weren't drowning in teen angst BS. Honorable mention goes to Dawn...for much the same reason.

Angel: Fred, because she's ridiculously adorable.

Firefly: Kaylee. See the reasoning for Fred.

Dollhouse: Hmmm...a tough one. Either Adele or Topher.

Doctor Horrible: Penny. OK, sue me, I like adorable cute women.

Astonishing X-Men: Kitty. But she went in with the advantage of being my favorite member of the X-Men for a couple of decades. She's a ninja assassin, she can walk through walls, and she has her own pet dragon. And yet she still manages to be the most down-to-Earth and relatable comic book character since early Peter Parker.


Kthulhu, I see we have a similar taste in Whedonverse character types.

And you make an interesting point about Dawn... she had her moments of teen angst, but at times she was less angsty than the characters who were supposed to be 5 years older than she was.

Shadow Lodge

DeathQuaker wrote:

Kthulhu, I see we have a similar taste in Whedonverse character types.

And you make an interesting point about Dawn... she had her moments of teen angst, but at times she was less angsty than the characters who were supposed to be 5 years older than she was.

Mostly she was just a bit klutzy. And what angst she did show was pretty minimal considering the revelation that she was a cosmic concept made flesh, her entire life was a falsehood, and she only existed in order to be the genesis of an multiversal apocalypse.

Honorable mention goes to Felicia Day in whatever role she happens to be playing, because she's equal parts adorable and yummy.


Felicia Day is awesome. I loved her as Vi the Slayer in Buffy--a small role but she was one of my favorite Potentials.

(But my favorite role of hers might be Veronica Santangelo in Fallout New Vegas, even if that's largely random RPG voiceover dialogue. Also it has nothing to do with Joss Whedon. Although I'd be intrigued to see his take on the Fallout universe... at least in Fallout you can already expect everybody to die... Oh, but wait. Veronica's a geeky, spunky lesbian, she'd be the first to be killed. Never mind.)


I picked Firefly, if only because I was so involved with the fandom and the efforts to keep the show on the air (and to get Serenity made) back in the day. It's sort of a sanity check. Why would I have done all that if it wasn't my favorite show, right? Right? :)

Honestly, Jayne pings me more as Neutral Evil, than Chaotic. He wants money and comfort above all else, and has no qualms about killing people, but he still has something resembling standards.


It's weird how everybody loves firefly but they still won't bring the series back.


darth_borehd wrote:
It's weird how everybody loves firefly but they still won't bring the series back.

They never will because for one season's investment they have gained

10 years of pay off. There is no reason to make more episodes.

.

The new business model is make one season of an awesome show, and then
milk profits from it's cult following for decades.


Grand Magus wrote:
darth_borehd wrote:
It's weird how everybody loves firefly but they still won't bring the series back.

They never will because for one season's investment they have gained

10 years of pay off. There is no reason to make more episodes.

.

The new business model is make one season of an awesome show, and then
milk profits from it's cult following for decades.

as much as I hate whedon, I am no fan of this business model.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Doodlebug Anklebiter wrote:

Firefly: Jayne Cobb, along with Belkar from Order of the Stick and Jack Vance's Cugel, is a poster-boy for delightful Chaotic Evil behavior.

"Remember Jayne, the point is to scare him, not hurt him."

"Pain is scary."

Andoran

Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Charter Superscriber

Buffy, then Angel, then Firefly, then Dollhouse.

Xander was always my favorite character because he was me in High School, followed by Willow cause Allyson Hannigan is so freaking hot.

I agree that Paul was the most annoying character on Dollhouse and Topher was my favorite. Also, I love the way that show ended.

1 to 50 of 195 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Gamer Life / Television / POLL: Your Favorite Joss Whedon TV Series? All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.