Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
About Paizo Messageboards News Paizo Blog Help/FAQ
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

PaizoCon 2014!

Catharsis


RPG Superstar™ 2012 General Discussion

1 to 50 of 88 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | next > last >>
Andoran

20 people marked this as a favorite.
Neil Spicer wrote:
Kevin Mickelson wrote:
Pharasmian Tomb Stone

*So, it's a ghost touch SIAC. With a crappy name. Meh.

*Should be "tombstone"...

*Vote to Reject.

*Isn't it "Pharasmin" anyway?

*Reject.

*Agreed. Reject.

*Rejected.

Oh well, you can't win 'em all...even if your contribution was entirely brilliant and "tomb stone" is two separate words for a reason and-

*ahem*

Can't win 'em all! A big congratulations to the winners out there, and thanks to Neil for taking the time to fish out the judge's feedback. I'm looking at this as an opportunity to learn how to accept defeat with dignity and poise.

Hitler, however, is going to need a minute...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Y_3NqrYrP0


tough luck man...sorry, snake-thing.
i like your sense of humour though, does that count for something?

Andoran

If a few people get a laugh out of this, I'll accept it as a worthwhile consolation prize!

RPG Superstar 2013 Top 4 , Marathon Voter 2013, Star Voter 2014

Kevin Mickelson wrote:
If a few people get a laugh out of this, I'll accept it as a worthwhile consolation prize!

I did, it's actually spirit lifting. :)

Andoran Star Voter 2013

wonderful. Haven't seen one of these in a bit, well done. can't wait to show my group at tonight's game.

Andoran

I suspect that there might be a few other misunderstood geniuses out there that expected to find that the judges had a lengthy debatersation in regards to the (obvious) merits of their submissions, only to discover that they hardly blipped on the radar.

Not that I actually feel this way!
(maybe a teensy-weensie bit...)


Hitler wrote:

LIKE STALIN!

AHAHA. Oh my god, this is the greatest thing in the world. I bow to you, sir. You have outfunnied anything that has ever been done. Ever.

RPG Superstar 2012 Top 32 , Star Voter 2013, Star Voter 2014 aka Monkster

Ok - sorry you didn't make the top 32, but this video certainly redeems you as a good writer in my eyes. I LOVED this. Just sent it to my gaming group.

Paizo Employee Developer

4 people marked this as a favorite.

Best. Godwin. Evar.

No, really. There were about eight of us watching this here in the office this morning, and I've never heard so much laughter in the development pit before. Great job.

*Also, I've edited the OP to make the link clickable.

RPG Superstar 2012 Top 32 aka Stormfriend

Kevin Mickelson wrote:


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Y_3NqrYrP0

Utterly fantastic!


1 person marked this as a favorite.

I literally laughed out loud. Especially when it got to the 'butthurt' comment. :D I'm a fan of a good dose of self-depreciating humor.

Star Voter 2013

that was an excellent video - well done!

Andoran

My girlfriend is actually laughing her heart out by my side and she does not even read English :-)

I just must send it to my fellow players and GM. Very well done.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Tales Subscriber

Oh. My. God. Not only is Kevin Michelson my new OLBFF, but I will put a Pharasmian Tomb Stone somewhere in every PF campaign I will ever run. (I can't add more Hitler to my everyday online activity, however. It's already at full capacity.)


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Tales Subscriber

Let's face it, the only thing that could have made this more perfect is if it had been in response to Sean K Reynolds instead of Neil. ;-)


1 person marked this as a favorite.

This video has now been sent to all of my game groups. I am determined to make Kevin Michelson a household name!

Founder, Legendary Games & Publisher, Necromancer Games, RPG Superstar Judge

4 people marked this as a favorite.
Kevin Mickelson wrote:

I suspect that there might be a few other misunderstood geniuses out there that expected to find that the judges had a lengthy debatersation in regards to the (obvious) merits of their submissions, only to discover that they hardly blipped on the radar.

Not that I actually feel this way!
(maybe a teensy-weensie bit...)

Kevin, big kudos to you for actually saying what many people are thinking and feeling when they learn they don't make the cut.

I appreciate how hard it is to see YOUR ITEM didn't make the cut.

Oh, hey, what was that? All caps? Oh...there is a reason for that. Because we aren't judging YOU, as a person or a designer, we are only judging the SINGLE ITEM you chose to submit. That may or may not be a good snapshot of you as a designer. Kobe Bryant is a great free throw shooter, but he still misses on occasion. If you saw him shoot only one, and he missed that one, you would no more be able to say he is a bad free throw shooter than we can say you are a bad designer or person because we didn't advance your one item we saw.

RPG Superstar 2012 Top 16 , Dedicated Voter 2013, Star Voter 2014

That's wonderful. Thank you Kevin :)

Cheliax Bella Sara Charter Superscriber

2 people marked this as a favorite.

"Don't worry, he's just butthurt."

Well played.

:golf clap:


Pathfinder Adventure Path, Tales Subscriber

Yeah, the "butthurt" and the repeated crying at "Encounters" were the two sweet spots for me. Of course, the spell in a can and setting/role-playing comments were pretty funny, too.

RPG Superstar 2009 Top 16, 2012 Top 32 , Marathon Voter 2013, Marathon Voter 2014 aka Epic Meepo

Kevin, you need to lose more contests, because that was awesome. :P

(I kid, of course. Best of luck in any future contests you enter.)

RPG Superstar 2014 Top 16, RPG Superstar 2012 Top 16 , Marathon Voter 2013, Marathon Voter 2014 aka motteditor

1 person marked this as a favorite.

That was indeed pretty brilliant, and I generally am not that impressed by/interested in YouTube videos. This one had me laughing out loud. Thanks (and if you get in next year, we need some reverse of that video).

Sczarni RPG Superstar 2012 Top 32 , Champion Voter 2013, Champion Voter 2014

Well played Sir, well played.

Qadira

spectacular, you have made my day sir!


That...was...great. I think I might just favorite that.


2 people marked this as a favorite.

Just as a note, Golariopedia is the renamed old, outdated, no-longer-updated version of PathfinderWiki, which is still quite active and up-to-date. Perhaps that was Hitler's problem?

Star Voter 2013, Dedicated Voter 2014

Nice Kevin, :)

Paizo Employee Chief Technical Officer

Well done!

Andoran

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Clark Peterson wrote:
Kevin Mickelson wrote:

I suspect that there might be a few other misunderstood geniuses out there that expected to find that the judges had a lengthy debatersation in regards to the (obvious) merits of their submissions, only to discover that they hardly blipped on the radar.

Not that I actually feel this way!
(maybe a teensy-weensie bit...)

Kevin, big kudos to you for actually saying what many people are thinking and feeling when they learn they don't make the cut.

I appreciate how hard it is to see YOUR ITEM didn't make the cut.

Oh, hey, what was that? All caps? Oh...there is a reason for that. Because we aren't judging YOU, as a person or a designer, we are only judging the SINGLE ITEM you chose to submit. That may or may not be a good snapshot of you as a designer. Kobe Bryant is a great free throw shooter, but he still misses on occasion. If you saw him shoot only one, and he missed that one, you would no more be able to say he is a bad free throw shooter than we can say you are a bad designer or person because we didn't advance your one item we saw.

Hey there Clark! Don't take this video the wrong way; I hold within me only the barest fraction of resentment displayed here. Just enough to engage in some self-deprecating humor in between bouts of sulky grumbling. ;)

The Pharasmian(sic) Tomb Stone will live forever!

Andoran

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Wiki Monster wrote:
Just as a note, Golariopedia is the renamed old, outdated, no-longer-updated version of PathfinderWiki, which is still quite active and up-to-date. Perhaps that was Hitler's problem?

Nein! Nein! Das ist nicht stimmt!

Andoran

2 people marked this as a favorite.
Alex Head wrote:
This video has now been sent to all of my game groups. I am determined to make Kevin Michelson a household name!

You and me both, brother! *finger guns*

RPG Superstar 2009, Contributor

2 people marked this as a favorite.

LOL!!!!!

I'm in tears over here. I couldn't watch this thing at work, because our security guys block YouTube videos. So, I had to wait until I got home to see what all the uproar was about...

This. Is. Hilarious!!!

This has got to become a new RPG Superstar tradition. We need a new subtitled outtake using this Hitler clip for the next competition.

Superstar work, Kevin. Even if it wasn't on your wondrous item submission. Well played. And thank you for injecting some levity into an otherwise trying day.

Now, I think I'll go back and watch that again. :-D

Paizo Employee Webstore Gninja Minion , Star Voter 2013, Star Voter 2014

1 person marked this as a favorite.

That was hilarious. Thanks for putting smiles on everybody's faces and making people laugh! :D

RPG Superstar 2009, Contributor

3 people marked this as a favorite.

My favorite part was when Hitler accused the judges of catering to mindless power-gamers...

...like Stalin!!!

:-D

Andoran

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Mairkurion {tm} wrote:
Let's face it, the only thing that could have made this more perfect is if it had been in response to Sean K Reynolds instead of Neil. ;-)

I am a shameless Sean Reynolds fan, but I also really did want to thank Neil for going to all the trouble he did. It was an extra step he didn't have to take, and I plan to buy him a beer at Paizocon.

(Then corner him and explain why he was mistaken)

Andoran

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Mark Moreland wrote:

Best. Godwin. Evar.

No, really. There were about eight of us watching this here in the office this morning, and I've never heard so much laughter in the development pit before. Great job.

*Also, I've edited the OP to make the link clickable.

Thanks so much for that!

You guys are the best in the biz, and the fact that you're laughing at something I made makes me feel really proud. Almost glad I lost now! =)


This is awesome.

RPG Superstar 2009, Contributor

2 people marked this as a favorite.
Kevin Mickelson wrote:

I am a shameless Sean Reynolds fan, but I also really did want to thank Neil for going to all the trouble he did. It was an extra step he didn't have to take, and I plan to buy him a beer at Paizocon.

(Then corner him and explain why he was mistaken)

That'll be difficult to do for a couple of reasons. First and foremost, I won't be at PaizoCon this year. Secondly, I don't drink. And thirdly, I realized my mistake as soon as I went back and reviewed the comments on your item. For some reason I got ghoul touch crossed up in my head when I was trying to describe it as the ghost touch weapon property.

::facepalm::

Of course, your item had other issues aside from that, and the ghost touch property wouldn't really be seen as Superstar innovative either.

I don't want to be the guy explaining that to Hitler, though.

Next year, you've got to do another of these. Hopefully, not for yourself. I'd like to see your wit carried through an actual competition as one of the Top 32. But even so, you could go back and do another one of these for someone else's item even if you do make the cut next year.


Haha, butthurt. This is great stuff. First time entering the contest and I'm glad I did, else I wouldn't be laughing until my sides hurt right now!

I'll be back next year, butthealed and ready.

Founder, Legendary Games & Publisher, Necromancer Games, RPG Superstar Judge

(sorry about the "shouldnt it be Pharasmin?", that was me)

Andoran

Clark Peterson wrote:
(sorry about the "shouldnt it be Pharasmin?", that was me)

lol, don't worry about it! I am so not actually upset. If you're at Paizocon you get Neil's beer if you want it. =)


1 person marked this as a favorite.

I feel like we have all witnessed the birth of a Meme. It is something beautiful, and rare - that most special of things, glimpsed but once in a generation.

I bet that children born under the sign of the hitler-superstar-reaction will have good luck and be successful in all things, so long as those things involve dice and maps and various rules minutiae.

It's like that moment when a protostar shrugs off it's gravitational shackles and blooms into a churning mass of light and energy - this video is just like that. It has brought warmth and joy to an otherwise dark and lonely place: the rejected-submission table.

And it is a large table.

All that aside: Why in the name of RPGsuperstar hasn't this video been permalinked on the front page?!

Taldor RPG Superstar 2013 Top 4, RPG Superstar 2011 Top 16 , Dedicated Voter 2013, Star Voter 2014 aka primemover003

OMG I was in tears... I had to post this in my home groups fb page just so I could let them share in the catharsis as they took the judges comments on my item harder than I did!

--Vrocktung Baby!

Sczarni RPG Superstar 2012 Top 32 , Champion Voter 2013, Champion Voter 2014

The sub-titled Hitler video is already a meme. Has been for at least a year. I first ran across it as an Eve Online spoof.

Marathon Voter 2013

Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber

I think it's at least 3 years old.

Marathon Voter 2013, Dedicated Voter 2014

1 person marked this as a favorite.

I'm tired of the Downfall meme, but I loved this one. Very well done, dialogue matches the action so well.

I'm particularly fond on "valuable role-playing opportunities" while he's doing that hand thing.

And for what it's worth, when I read the critique on the thread, I immediately thought "But he separated 'tomb' and 'stone' for a reason."

Andoran

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Alex Head wrote:

I feel like we have all witnessed the birth of a Meme. It is something beautiful, and rare - that most special of things, glimpsed but once in a generation.

I bet that children born under the sign of the hitler-superstar-reaction will have good luck and be successful in all things, so long as those things involve dice and maps and various rules minutiae.

It's like that moment when a protostar shrugs off it's gravitational shackles and blooms into a churning mass of light and energy - this video is just like that. It has brought warmth and joy to an otherwise dark and lonely place: the rejected-submission table.

And it is a large table.

All that aside: Why in the name of RPGsuperstar hasn't this video been permalinked on the front page?!

If you choose to classify this as a "Hitler-superstar-reaction" meme, then you are quite correct in saying that this is brand new!

However, in the much broader (and practical) sense, Hitler raving about any old thing has been around for quite awhile. It's a clip from the movie Downfall, and people have used it to comment on just about anything you can think of...with varying degrees of success.

If this thing gets linked on the front page, I'll squee for an hour.

Andoran

Clouds Without Water wrote:


I'm tired of the Downfall meme, but I loved this one. Very well done, dialogue matches the action so well.

I'm particularly fond on "valuable role-playing opportunities" while he's doing that hand thing.

And for what it's worth, when I read the critique on the thread, I immediately thought "But he separated 'tomb' and 'stone' for a reason."

You are obviously a very perceptive and handsome man with excellent taste. We are friends now.

Shadow Lodge

Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

This is why I love Paizo and RPG Superstar. Just wonderful, on so many levels.

Andoran

Cheapy wrote:
I think it's at least 3 years old.

Please don't say that. It suggests that I'm getting very old, and that shouldn't be a true thing.

1 to 50 of 88 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Publishing / RPG Superstar™ / Previous Contests / RPG Superstar™ 2012 / General Discussion / Catharsis All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.