Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
About Paizo Messageboards News Paizo Blog Help/FAQ
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

PaizoCon 2014!

Halfling (Yes Halfling) Barbarian Help


Advice


Pathfinder Card Game Subscriber

Working on a back up character for my current campaign and I have decided on a Barbarian. Everyone in the group (7-9 people depending on how many show up) are Human or Half-Elf and I want to play something different. Thus the Halfling. (plus I really just like the thought of a little kid hulking out and throwing everything around)

So Halfling is pretty much non-negotiable though I may be convinced of Gnome. I can see the campaign going well in to the teens or even beyond (we tend to play long ones)

Stats were rolled: 18, 15, 14, 12, 10, 9

Mongo Halfling Invulnerable Rager Barbarian 5

Str 16 (-2 racial)
Dex 16 (+2 Racial)
Con 16 (+1 level)
Int 10
Wis 12
Cha 11 (+2 racial)

Feats/ *Rage Powers
1) Raging Vitality
2) *Superstious
3) Power Attack
4) *Witchhunter
5) ????

I plan on taking the beast totem line as I progress and Spell Sunder as my level 6 rage power. Do I need to take Improved Sunder and Greater Sunder to go with?

What about Trait Sugestions? Highlander I think for Stealth, but else.

I am leaning towards Great Axe or Great Sword as weapons.

My DM is also currently contemplating allowing Big Game Hunter to work on anything at least one size catagory larger than you. So for the halfling pretty much everything. (Big Game Hunter gives +1 to hit and +2 to damage to creatures who are large or larger) Would you take this at 5th or at all?

Yes I know Small races are not optimal for barbarians but it won't make that big a difference in this game since none of the others are really optimized.

So what do you think paizo community? Any suggestions?


I do recommend improved sunder, to avoid provoking when you try to sunder summons or buffs. Greater sunder is worthless, you'd only need it for the +2, and strength surge can do a lot more than +2.

Cheliax

I would go gnome over halfling only because of the constitution instead of dexterity. If you're going to lose one primary stat, you may as well gain another. Also, if you're willing to let your charisma sit right at 11, you get access to a few semi-useful spell-like abilities.


I've been considering a Halfling Titan Mauler. Especially considering the prevalence of medium sized enemies in most games I've played, it's good to be able to pick up weapons that you normally couldn't use.


Mergy wrote:
I would go gnome over halfling only because of the constitution instead of dexterity. If you're going to lose one primary stat, you may as well gain another. Also, if you're willing to let your charisma sit right at 11, you get access to a few semi-useful spell-like abilities.

on top of that, eldritch heritage at later levels. Check out the orc bloodline, you can quicken spell like ability touch of rage on yourself for a crazy boost.


Not useful but...

I approve of this concept.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

I suggest going the mounted barbarian route. As a little guy, you can be riding a medium sized mount through all the same dungeons as your medium sized buddies. This also lets you perform the Rage+Lance+SpiritedCharge+Pounce trick which is sure to make your DM vomit on his DM screen.

Shadow Lodge

You might check out Gnomes of Golarion... There's an interesting feat in it Tantrum...

Osirion

I'm trying to think of ways to help you out, but I'm coming up short.

Grand Lodge

Hahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah hahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahhahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahah ahahahahahah

Hardee Har Har

Aha.

Hee hee hee, ho hum

Aw man, I can't stop laughing.

hahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahhahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahah ahahahahahah

Spoiler:
(Actually, I did this once but don't tell anyone. But they (more than one Halfling Bbn) were NPCs. Actually, it worked quite well. I was inspired by the Highland Stalker PrC in the Complete Adventurer. You may want to check it out.0


If you really want to get silly... Consider adding Animal Fury for usage with the greater beast totem pounce... 2 claws at full BAB and a bite at full BAB-5, ontop of all your other attacks...

Plus, the idea of a halfling gnawing on a dragon leg just amuses me...

Grand Lodge

Could be worse,
The OP could've asked about an Elf Barbarian!

(A wise man once said elf Bbns don't Rage; they throw hissy fits.)


W E Ray wrote:

Could be worse,

The OP could've asked about an Elf Barbarian!

(A wise man once said elf Bbns don't Rage; they throw hissy fits.)

Yoggargh Treefury would like a word with you.... :)


Pathfinder Card Game Subscriber
W E Ray wrote:

Hahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah hahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahhahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahah ahahahahahah

Hardee Har Har

Aha.

Hee hee hee, ho hum

Aw man, I can't stop laughing.

hahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahhahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahah ahahahahahah

** spoiler omitted **

Yep that is exactly the reaction that I am looking for right before I rage and rip off thier face!

Do y'all think the Titan Mauler is worth it over Invulnerable Rager? I really hate to give up that DR.

I now the LANCERAGEPOUNCE is awesome, but I really don't want to give my DM a heartattack. The last time I drove him to tears he wouldn't run a game for two years.

Andoran

If you really want to have fun with pint-sized screw-off, try a Braggart Knight.


Gnomes with gnome hooked hammers are pretty fun

although you damage dice suffer your strength to damage bonus does not. meaning 1d4+20 vs 1d8+20 is pretty much the same so for you its all about bumping up your strength.

There's a multiclass I've been working on called Venomous Raging Wildshaper

Looks something like Barb/druid/druid/druid/druid/barb/barb/oracle/druid+

grabs lesser fiend totem and eldrich herritage serpentine for growing a poison bite attack and a gore attack as free actions, then combining that with wildshapes natural attacks for a lot of fun primary natural attack fun

If you wanted to stick to being small

a dip into alchemist can net you 3 natural 1xSTR full BAB attacks and another +4STR to add to the kitty, picture small gnome gone ferral tearing peoples heads off mwhahaha.

The only downside is several combat manuvers are size dependant i.e. only works vs your size or smaller , which kinda sucks but perhaps somthing your GM can houserule

I mean common a gnome hooked hammer was designed to trip those big stupid medium and large sized critters and then smash them in the head once they're prone. (my GM houserule this when I was playing a Gnome Fighter with hooked hammer, was awesome fun, rule of cool wins)


I mad ea raised by wolves halfling once as an NPC, think I still have him here

here he is:
Male Halfling Barbarian (Mounted Fury, Savage Barbarian)

Flaw: Exhausting Rage, dragon 325

Alternate Racial: +Outrider -Sure-footed

Trait: Fast Talker +1 bluff, bluff is class skill

15 point buy

16 (-2) 14
10 (+2) 12
14 14
8 8
10 10
12 (+2) 14

Barbarian

1 Feat Power Attack, Feat Reckless Rage, Fast Mount < <
2 Rage power Intimidating Glare
3 Feat Taunt, Naked Courage 1
4 Rage power Ferocious Mount
5 Feat Natural Bond (Complete Adventurer), Bestial Mount: Wolf
6 Rage power Spirit Steed
7 Feat Mounted Combat, Naked Toughness 1
8 Rage power Ferocious Mount, Greater
9 Feat Trick Riding, Naked Courage 2
10 Naked Toughness 2, Rage power Furious Howl
11 Feat Ride By Attack, Greater Rage <
12 Rage power Fearless Rage
13 Feat Well Prepared, Naked Toughness 3 <
14 Indomitable Will, Rage power Clear Mind
15 Feat Mounted Skirmisher, Naked Courage 3

Has some 3.5 things in there but not much, if you want to remove it drop the flaw, reckless rage, and natural bond becomes boon companion. Was mostly a mounted fighter but really enjoyed the usage of furious howl and using bluff as intimidate parts.


I always liked reach weapons with the wee folk. and hand axes were better when they had a +1 to thrown objects. But sunder and disarming halfling? I say go for it. :)

Grand Lodge

I've got a halfling barbarian that I'm running through the Kingmaker AP over on Mythweavers: Skapti Kneereaver

I was considering the Invulnerable Rager, but eventually went with the Mounted Barbarian archetype for improved mobility and RP possibilities. (Dog the dog is a character in his own right.)

I have to say, he has been a ton of fun to play.


THIS is pretty much required as a visual aid.

Andoran

I had a Halfling Berserker back in my AD&D 2nd Ed. days. Great fun to play for that ten minutes. I wonder if the Frost Giant ever scraped him off of his boot?

Craig


Azten wrote:
THIS is pretty much required as a visual aid.

Nice!


Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber
Azten wrote:
THIS is pretty much required as a visual aid.

OMIGOD, BWAH-HAHA-HA-HAHAHAHAHA-HA-HAHA!! This picture made me laugh till I cried... SOOOO funny!!

For the OP, I applaud your decision to play something different than the rest of your clan-mates (i.e. fellow PCs) and as a DM I especially give you props for not min-maxing or optimizing your character!! I think the character is perfectly viable as is, and can just picture the fun you'll have as your halfling growls at all the Big Folk up there laughing at him dressed in his badger-fur-skin cap right before he unlimbers a Small-sized great axe and starts kneecapping them! A 16 Str is more than ample for a warrior type, especially a halfling, and with Rage going on you will truly have a grand ol' time!! (What is that, +6 to hit and +7 damage in melee, regardless of level or feat selection? Pretty damn awesome!!) And since you're asking our opinions, I say go for the Indestructible Rager archetype... shrugging off stuff that the bigger folks get owies from is part of the fun. ...Said to your elven companion: "Meh, it's just a scratch, ya oversized pansy-picker! Suck it up!"

Good luck in your campaign! I wish I had 4 more players just like you!

Andoran

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Roleplaying Game Subscriber

I say Gnome just so you can be like this guy.

Qadira

With rolled stats like that go for it! I've played a pecwae barbarian from 3.0 sovereign stone, he was raised by Orcs, it was awesome.

This is a reason to roll stats and not do point buy.


Glutton wrote:

I mad ea raised by wolves halfling once as an NPC, think I still have him here

** spoiler omitted **

Has some 3.5 things in there but not much, if you want to remove it drop the flaw, reckless rage, and natural bond becomes boon companion. Was mostly a mounted fighter but really enjoyed the usage of furious howl and using bluff as intimidate parts.

I love this. OP...take notes. A wolf rider barbarian? Hell yes.


That is a good, solid halfling barbarian. Halflings are just as good as gnomes with your stats, perhaps better when skills are considered.

My favorite trait is Reactionary (+2 on Initiative checks). You roll intiaitive about 4x/game, and the trait has a 1/10 chance of making a difference per opponent you roll against. If there are 2 opponents per fight (on average) that means the expected number of times that the trait will help you per gaming session is greater than 1.

Berserker of the Society (Pathfinder Chronicles: Faction Guide) gives you 3 additional rage rounds/day. That will also probably help you every game or so.

For skills I would take Perception, Acrobatics, Climb, and Stealth (given your other trait).


Pathfinder Card Game Subscriber
moon glum wrote:

That is a good, solid halfling barbarian. Halflings are just as good as gnomes with your stats, perhaps better when skills are considered.

My favorite trait is Reactionary (+2 on Initiative checks). You roll intiaitive about 4x/game, and the trait has a 1/10 chance of making a difference per opponent you roll against. If there are 2 opponents per fight (on average) that means the expected number of times that the trait will help you per gaming session is greater than 1.

Berserker of the Society (Pathfinder Chronicles: Faction Guide) gives you 3 additional rage rounds/day. That will also probably help you every game or so.

For skills I would take Perception, Acrobatics, Climb, and Stealth (given your other trait).

Ya was trying to choose between Reactionary or Indomitable Faith (+1 will save. Though that may be overkill.)

Skillwise I was think Preception, Acrobatics, Survival, Stealth. I just wouldn't feel right being a Barbarian without Survival. Will probably split Survival with Climb and Swim.

Andoran

GeneticDrift wrote:

With rolled stats like that go for it! I've played a pecwae barbarian from 3.0 sovereign stone, he was raised by Orcs, it was awesome.

This is a reason to roll stats and not do point buy.

Fine. Next game YOU get four 11s, a 9 and a 12, while everything else gets 16s and up.

Rolled stats suck because someone at the table is going to be stuck with stats that are worse after leveling up to 20th and dropping a fortune on Tomes as some other player will have 1st. If the DM says reroll sucky stacks -- then you might as just do point-buy anyway.

Andoran

Halfling Fighter, swap Str and Dex, and go for Dervish Dancer.

"It's just a kid with a small scimitargh."

Andoran

20pt-buy "Mucha-Lucha" halfling

Racial: [warslinger]

STR: 10
DEX: 19
CON: 14
INT: 12
WIS: 12
CHA: 09

01 barb1 [brutal pugilist], Move+10, Extra Rage
02 figh1 [weapon master], EWP:Elven Curve Blade
03 figh2 Raging Vitality, Weapon Finesse
04 barb2 DEX>20, [Reckless Abandon+1]
05 barb3 Power Attack (only works while raging)
06 barb4 [Reckless Abandon+2], [RAGE POWER]
07 figh3 [weapon training +1], Agile Maneuvers
08 figh4 DEX>21, FEAT
09 barb5 FEAT
10 ...etc.

Equipment: +1/Agile/Furious Elven Curve Blade, +1/Furious Sling, Gloves of Dueling, Grappler's Mask

Exploits: an elven curve blade is the only two-handed finesse weapon in which both the Agile property and Power Attack may be used in conjunction. Damage slightly lower than a human (Power Attack 3x bonus is identical, but d8+[DEX] vs d10+[1.5(STR)], but compensation is +1 att (small), far higher AC (small + DEX being advanced), +1 saves overall (halfling), trades human's usually-higher-than-needed fort-save for much better reflex save. Agile Maneuvers means CMD and CMB are both very high, and Grappler's Mask grants worry-free Bull Rush and Grapple.

Cheliax

I love the Halfling Barbarian idea. I played one a long time ago in an Eberron campaign, where Halfling Barbarians aren't completely unheard of.

IMO you should go for the STR build, not twist a barbarian build into a DEX build. Sure, you COULD build a DEX-based Halfling Barbarian, but it takes away a lot of the cool factor, I think. More power to the Halfling that walks around with a 22 STR at level 12 (15 + 3 (levels) +4 (Belt)= 22).

I think the coolest thing is that you CAN play a STR-based Halfling barbarian and still be effective. Not optimized, but very effective.


I have to admit, a character I have been aching to play is a halfling barbarian x/cavalier[beast rider] 4 w/ a triceratops mount.

I'd stick with Beast Totem rage powers and the mount-focused ones, so that at some point, my halfling w/ his heavy pick and his triceratops could both pounce the same poor fool.

And for what it's worth, I think a halfling is the only type of barbarian I'd ever play. I just think the idea is more fun than any of the other races for some reason.

Let us know how your tiny terror turns out!

Qadira

Not to get side tracked with Mike, but just because you rolled poorly doesn't mean the GM won't take any action to help and it doesn't mean you won't have fun. It's based on the game style of the group. Besides I said it was a reason to roll, not that people should roll. Point buy and rolling both have pros/cons. This shows a pro of rolling, in letting you play against your weaknesses better (not spending 17points on it).

Shadow Lodge

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Mike Schneider wrote:


Rolled stats suck because someone at the table is going to be stuck with stats that are worse after leveling up to 20th and dropping a fortune on Tomes as some other player will have 1st.

Or you just have everyone use the best set rolled between them.


Pathfinder Card Game Subscriber
Mike Schneider wrote:

Fine. Next game YOU get four 11s, a 9 and a 12, while everything else gets 16s and up.

Rolled stats suck because someone at the table is going to be stuck with stats that are worse after leveling up to 20th and dropping a fortune on Tomes as some other player will have 1st. If the DM says reroll sucky stacks -- then you might as just do point-buy anyway.

I like to roll, but the dice are usually good to me. That said we have one guy (the DM now) that the dice tend to hate. And he does usually end up moping around till he dies and tries again.

I don't really care for point buys, though I don't hate them. I have begun to lean more towards a standard stat block, and let the players arrange them as they wish. Maybe with a bit of tweaking here and there (dropping a couple points out of one stat to add to another type thing).

But anytime I mention anything besides rolling to the group (most of the time after they complain about my openly rolled stats) they all protest and start telling how rolling is a tradition and nessacary to give character.

We are an older group that started gaming together pretty much weekly since '96. All of us have been gaming since the early 90's and a few of us even longer.

We have recently turned to Pathfinder while we have set aside our 16+ year campaign for a time.

Qadira

Look up "Ghonad, Halfling Barbarian" by Heresy Miniatures if you want an awesome mini for this character.

Andoran

Ironbar wrote:
I don't really care for point buys, though I don't hate them. I have begun to lean more towards a standard stat block, and let the players arrange them as they wish.
So everybody gets the same array -- them nobody's screwed on starting stats. It could be six 18s or six 8s or anything else inbetween, but everyone is even.
Quote:
But anytime I mention anything besides rolling to the group (most of the time after they complain about my openly rolled stats) they all protest and start telling how rolling is a tradition and nessacary to give character.

Well, I guess if moping and whining until you die and have to make a new PC is "character".

If your players are used to high-powered, min/max characters, in your new campaign try 30pt "uber-fantasy" with everyone starting with the same 18/15/14/14/10/07 stat-array (pre-racial).


Pathfinder Card Game Subscriber
Mike Schneider wrote:
Ironbar wrote:
I don't really care for point buys, though I don't hate them. I have begun to lean more towards a standard stat block, and let the players arrange them as they wish.
So everybody gets the same array -- them nobody's screwed on starting stats. It could be six 18s or six 8s or anything else inbetween, but everyone is even.
Quote:
But anytime I mention anything besides rolling to the group (most of the time after they complain about my openly rolled stats) they all protest and start telling how rolling is a tradition and nessacary to give character.

Well, I guess if moping and whining until you die and have to make a new PC is "character".

If your players are used to high-powered, min/max characters, in your new campaign try 30pt "uber-fantasy" with everyone starting with the same 18/15/14/14/10/07 stat-array (pre-racial).

Exactly, but just can't get them past rolling.

I did say we were an older group, not that we had the most mature people.

*grandpa voice* "Bah back in my day we didn't have any of this point stuff. We rolled 3d6 in order and liked it mister!" *end grandpa voice*

Ya every so often someone in the group will still sugest we do that.

Shadow Lodge

Ironbar, next time have each player roll 4d6 drop lowest once, and use each players roll to create the stat array. (Drop lowest if you have 7+ players, roll more yourself if you have less than 6.) Then you have one stat array generated by the players, keeping them all relatively equal.


Samgar Skullcrusher!

STR: 15 (13 points), DEX 16 (5 points), CON 14 (5 points), INT 10 (0 points), WIS 11 (1 point), CHA 9 (-4 points).

Traits:
Highlander (Stealth is class skill, +1 Stealth)
Berserker of the Pathfinders (+3 Rage rounds)

Feats:
Power Attack (1st)
Toughness (3rd)

4th level, boost STR
8th level, boost WIS

Archetypes: Riding, Invulnerable Rager, Beast Totem and standard ordinary barbarian all work for this. I rather like Invulnerable Rager.

Favored Class: +1 HP (he needs it)

Skills: Stealth, Acrobatics, Perception, Survival. Splashing a couple ranks into Intimidate can be fun, even with the net -2 due to CHA and size.

+1 BAB, +2 STR, +1 (Size) -1 PA = +3 to hit with two handed sword for 1d10+6 base.
+1 BAB, +2 STR, +1 (Size) -1 PA = +5 to hit with two handed sword for 1d10+9 base.

Base AC is 10+3+1+~4=18 at 1st level with chain shirt.

Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Publishing / Pathfinder® / Pathfinder RPG / Advice / Halfling (Yes Halfling) Barbarian Help All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.