Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
About Paizo Messageboards News Paizo Blog Help/FAQ
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

Bestiary 4 Wish List


Paizo Products

101 to 150 of 2,238 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>

How can it be possible that Rust Monster, Aboleth, Bulette and Destrachans can be used by Pathfinder (to me those are unique D&D only monsters never seen anywhere else) and less famous D&D creations such as Zorbo, Morkoth, Metalmaster and Deepspawns are under heavy copyright protection?

I really don't get that...

I really miss those 4 creatures in the pathfinder books :( Those are among my favorite creatures of D&D and I really like the descriptions of Pathfinder better so I wanna see the pathfinder-versions of those creatures :(

Shadow Lodge

Sincubus wrote:
How can it be possible that Rust Monster, Aboleth, Bulette and Destrachans can be used by Pathfinder (to me those are unique D&D only monsters never seen anywhere else) and less famous D&D creations such as Zorbo, Morkoth, Metalmaster and Deepspawns are under heavy copyright protection?

Basically, if it was included in the SRD or was opened up via the Tome of Horrors, it's fine for Paizo (or anyone else) to use it. Otherwise, created-for-D&D stuff is the property of WotC.


Kthulhu wrote:
Sincubus wrote:
How can it be possible that Rust Monster, Aboleth, Bulette and Destrachans can be used by Pathfinder (to me those are unique D&D only monsters never seen anywhere else) and less famous D&D creations such as Zorbo, Morkoth, Metalmaster and Deepspawns are under heavy copyright protection?
Basically, if it was included in the SRD or was opened up via the Tome of Horrors, it's fine for Paizo (or anyone else) to use it. Otherwise, created-for-D&D stuff is the property of WotC.

A shame... I really dislike all this Copyright-@@@@ i'm sure Paizo coul work wonders with those forgotten creatures that now suffer from D&D's copyright-rules to rot forever into nothingness and will be eventually forgotten all together because D&D never uses them again and nobody else can re-work them aswel...

Silver Crusade

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion Subscriber
Sincubus wrote:
Kthulhu wrote:
Sincubus wrote:
How can it be possible that Rust Monster, Aboleth, Bulette and Destrachans can be used by Pathfinder (to me those are unique D&D only monsters never seen anywhere else) and less famous D&D creations such as Zorbo, Morkoth, Metalmaster and Deepspawns are under heavy copyright protection?
Basically, if it was included in the SRD or was opened up via the Tome of Horrors, it's fine for Paizo (or anyone else) to use it. Otherwise, created-for-D&D stuff is the property of WotC.
A shame... I really dislike all this Copyright-@@@@ i'm sure Paizo coul work wonders with those forgotten creatures that now suffer from D&D's copyright-rules to rot forever into nothingness and will be eventually forgotten all together because D&D never uses them again and nobody else can re-work them aswel...

Actually, instead of going angry at WotC for keeping Zorbos and Metalmastes closed content we should be happy they let Rust Monsters, Aboleths, Sahuagin, Glabrezu, Demodands and hunders of others open. They could very well not do that, and it would set back any 3PP a looong way without the ability to use iconic D&D monsters in their products.

Also, copyright doesn't go on forever, at some remote point in the future all those monsters will go public domain, unless trademarked.

Shadow Lodge

What Gorbacz said. WotC was under absolutely no obligation to make ANYTHING open, monsters or rules. Pathfinder (and dozens of retro-clones and other d20/OGL games) wouldn't exist without WotC making so much content open. Instead of b!$#&ing about the relatively small and often obscure amounts of material they kept closed, we should be happy they made such an amazing wealth of material open.


Kthulhu wrote:
What Gorbacz said. WotC was under absolutely no obligation to make ANYTHING open, monsters or rules. Pathfinder (and dozens of retro-clones and other d20/OGL games) wouldn't exist without WotC making so much content open. Instead of b*&%@ing about the relatively small and often obscure amounts of material they kept closed, we should be happy they made such an amazing wealth of material open.

That "small" and "obscure" amount happen to be my favorite monsters of all time :p

Paizo Employee Editor-in-Chief

Gorbacz and Kthuhu wrote:
The Truth and other wise things

True story, guys, all good points.

The folks at WotC didn't have to put any of their intellectual property from their then brand new game into the SRD with the release of third edition, and while they didn't give away the farm, they did give away all the cows, horses, pigs, sheep, and chickens.

It also turns out that most of these rules only apply to companies publishing works for a profit, so if any eager enthusiasts out there want to update some 3E monsters for their own websites or whatever have you, they should feel free to go for it. Additionally, one of the strengths of the Pathfinder rules is also that you can probably use those statblocks and details that you've already got without much, if any, conversion at all.

(It's also funny some of the ones that are getting called out, as several were creations of folks in the Paizo offices - some of the same folks who wrote for Bestiaries 1, 2, and 3)

Overall, I know the power of nostalgia and what it's like to leave old favorites behind, but in short order here, I hope the hundreds of new beasties in Bestiary 3 helps soothe the sting of monsters past.

Shadow Lodge

Sincubus wrote:
Kthulhu wrote:
What Gorbacz said. WotC was under absolutely no obligation to make ANYTHING open, monsters or rules. Pathfinder (and dozens of retro-clones and other d20/OGL games) wouldn't exist without WotC making so much content open. Instead of b*&%@ing about the relatively small and often obscure amounts of material they kept closed, we should be happy they made such an amazing wealth of material open.
That "small" and "obscure" amount happen to be my favorite monsters of all time :p

Well, pretty cool thing about the design of Pathfinder...it's very backwards compatible with 3.X.


Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Roleplaying Game Subscriber

The su is absolutely a South American cryptid -- I remember reading about it before D&D was even a thing.


Kthulhu wrote:
What Gorbacz said. WotC was under absolutely no obligation to make ANYTHING open, monsters or rules. Pathfinder (and dozens of retro-clones and other d20/OGL games) wouldn't exist without WotC making so much content open. Instead of b****ing about the relatively small and often obscure amounts of material they kept closed, we should be happy they made such an amazing wealth of material open.

This. ^^

Also, to those who would still complain about WotC being meanies not wanting to share, why don't you just tailor your own stats for Mind Flayers and Beholders for your own Pathfinder games? If you have a 3.5e Monster Manual, you could use it, alter a few stats and get rolling on it.


Icyshadow wrote:
Kthulhu wrote:
What Gorbacz said. WotC was under absolutely no obligation to make ANYTHING open, monsters or rules. Pathfinder (and dozens of retro-clones and other d20/OGL games) wouldn't exist without WotC making so much content open. Instead of b****ing about the relatively small and often obscure amounts of material they kept closed, we should be happy they made such an amazing wealth of material open.

This. ^^

Also, to those who would still complain about WotC being meanies not wanting to share, why don't you just tailor your own stats for Mind Flayers and Beholders for your own Pathfinder games? If you have a 3.5e Monster Manual, you could use it, alter a few stats and get rolling on it.

Because not all humans care only for the game, I really enjoy the books more than I enjoy the games even.

THe art, the stories and the covers are a thing I collect, so pictures and art of my favorite monsters (some of which never even had beautiful art) are a must for me.

So using Mind Flayers and Zorbos from older books would be fine if I cared only for the game, but I care more for the books, monsters, stories, and computer games.

Silver Crusade

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion Subscriber
Sincubus wrote:
Icyshadow wrote:
Kthulhu wrote:
What Gorbacz said. WotC was under absolutely no obligation to make ANYTHING open, monsters or rules. Pathfinder (and dozens of retro-clones and other d20/OGL games) wouldn't exist without WotC making so much content open. Instead of b****ing about the relatively small and often obscure amounts of material they kept closed, we should be happy they made such an amazing wealth of material open.

This. ^^

Also, to those who would still complain about WotC being meanies not wanting to share, why don't you just tailor your own stats for Mind Flayers and Beholders for your own Pathfinder games? If you have a 3.5e Monster Manual, you could use it, alter a few stats and get rolling on it.

Because not all humans care only for the game, I really enjoy the books more than I enjoy the games even.

THe art, the stories and the covers are a thing I collect, so pictures and art of my favorite monsters (some of which never even had beautiful art) are a must for me.

So using Mind Flayers and Zorbos from older books would be fine if I cared only for the game, but I care more for the books, monsters, stories, and computer games.

In any case, your complaints lie with Wizards of the Coast. Here, let me find you their contact address...


If you want pictures, go commission someone on DeviantART or something (commissions to the artists who draw for Paizo would be a good start as well). Seriously, I don't get your logic at all, and I do not want to offend anyone just because I find people like you confusing at best...

Silver Crusade

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion Subscriber
Icyshadow wrote:
If you want pictures, go commission someone on DeviantART or something (commissions to the artists who draw for Paizo would be a good start as well). Seriously, I don't get your logic at all, and I do not want to offend anyone just because I find people like you confusing at best...

The logic is quite clear: Sincubus wishes for Pathfinder writers and designers to handle his favourite monsters, re-invent them, place them in Golarion and do all the things that the Revisited book line does.

The only slight problem is that it's the wrong place to mourn their closed content status. :)


I am fine with Golarion without the Gith, the Mind Flayers and other such things that are closed content. Hell, if the ones who originally created those races are still alive, I would understand if they wanted to keep them closed even for personal reasons. I wouldn't share my homebrew races outside the table unless I was paid for it and if I knew my works got treated with respect and not turned into satires or parodies of the original material.

With that said, I am still not happy with how the Ogres were handled in PF. Unneeded grimdark squick is still unneeded.


Icyshadow wrote:
If you want pictures, go commission someone on DeviantART or something (commissions to the artists who draw for Paizo would be a good start as well). Seriously, I don't get your logic at all, and I do not want to offend anyone just because I find people like you confusing at best...

So you find people who enjoy reading the books of Paizo/D&D more than playing the actual game confusing?

I find that a bit confusing, and I type things, nobody can tell if its really complains or just disappointment.

Is it so wrong to dream, hope or have wishes? Ok, sometimes I go over the top for my top-favorites but what if the monster manual didn't have Hobgoblins? I'm sure everybody exploded then. :p


I am a fluff geek, you know. I read up on Greyhawk, Forgotten Realms, Golarion, Eberron and the setting of Dark Sun on my free time for no other reason than to learn how the setting/story runs and if I would ever care to run games in them instead of coming up with homebrew settings. The confusion came from you talking as if you only wanted pretty pictures made by Paizo staff and nothing more.

Also, I actually HATE how the Hobgoblins look in Pathfinder, and I also dislike how little info we have gotten about them so far. With that said, maybe the two of us aren't that different now that the perspective has changed.


Icyshadow wrote:

I am a fluff geek, you know. I read up on Greyhawk, Forgotten Realms, Golarion, Eberron and the setting of Dark Sun on my free time for no other reason than to learn how the setting/story runs and if I would ever care to run games in them instead of coming up with homebrew settings. The confusion came from you talking as if you only wanted pretty pictures made by Paizo staff and nothing more.

Also, I actually HATE how the Hobgoblins look in Pathfinder, and I also dislike how little info we have gotten about them so far. With that said, maybe the two of us aren't that different now that the perspective has changed.

Lol, I like pretty pictures, but there is more to the books than pretty pictures only, sometimes tho I find it a shame that dragons and minotaurs and of course goblins of all kinds end up in every picture I see in the books, while I rather see less famous monsters being hunted, battled or whatever in the pictures in the books (like the cool picture of the t.rex vs froghemoth) but next to the pictures I also read all the texts, stories, background info and maps (is that called fluff, never knew :p )

I also create my own monster-tokens and while I have many beautiful pictures of most monsters, my old time favorites rather lacking in recent artwork, but you are all right about me having to ask people over at deviantart for those, this is the wrong place... but damn, sometimes I let my enthusiasm take over. ;)

There are actually very few monsters I dislike, the only ones come to mind are Hobgoblin, Tiefling and Half-things such as Half-elves half-orcs and such half-creatures... I'm also starting to ignore the 10.000 dragon-and-golem species we get in ANY monster-based books, other than that i'm pretty happy with everything.

The thing I find disappointing sometimes in the new Paizo bestairies is that some texts are like 100% copies of the D&D versions, but gladly they are also full of many new faces and most of them did change in behavior, abilities and background story.


I guess our tastes differ after all. I happen to like half-races and Hobgoblins. But yeah, I see what you are getting at here.


Icyshadow wrote:
I guess our tastes differ after all. I happen to like half-races and Hobgoblins. But yeah, I see what you are getting at here.

I always thought of hobgoblins as replaceable...

Orcs taking their savage and war-like spirit and Bugbears their wild-beast taming properties.


Orcs are erratic and uncontrolled berserkers, and Bugbears are basically ninja bears that walk on two feet and wield morningstars (assassin bears if we go by Golarion Bugbears). Hobgoblins are organized army types who boss Goblins around and bribe Bugbears to serve as shock troops. They're basically the most civilized of the "monstrous" humanoid races, and one of the few I could see as actually playable ones even in some of the less open-minded parties.


Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Modules, Roleplaying Game Subscriber

What 10,000 dragons and Golems are you talking about? Pathfinder doesn't even have as many golems as 3.0/3.5 did and the Dragons are just better designed then wizards. Besides I have always hated Mindflares, the Githyanki, and the Githzeri and I will not miss most of the monsters from 3.0/3.5 monter manuals that are wizards creations. I am very glad they can't copyright the ones from mythology.


Dragon78 wrote:
What 10,000 dragons and Golems are you talking about? Pathfinder doesn't even have as many golems as 3.0/3.5 did and the Dragons are just better designed then wizards. Besides I have always hated Mindflares, the Githyanki, and the Githzeri and I will not miss most of the monsters from 3.0/3.5 monter manuals that are wizards creations. I am very glad they can't copyright the ones from mythology.

I'm just talking about people that want to see all the crystal dragons and all other colored and whatever dragons there is possible. (yellow, grey, orange, even pink)

I'm fine with these dragons, no more for me personally:
Red Dragon - White Dragon - Green Dragon - Black Dragon - Blue Dragon -Brown Dragon - Purple/Deep Dragon - Crystal Dragon (which can have different gems but is still called Crystal Dragon) and Pseudo and Faerie Dragons.

Golems... well Iron Golem (with Shield Guardian and Helmed Horror as sub-species) and Stone Golem (with Eidolon and Juggernout as sub-species) and some special golems such as Bone Golem, Mud Golem (mudman) and maybe Web Golem (adherer in my own rpgs and stories) is more than enough of me, never been a fan of fang, Gloom, Carcass, Wood, Clay, Claw, Mummy, Serpent and other such golems, with that logic you can create everything into a golem...

My favorite golem is still the Flesh Golem as you can do so many things with those, I count Dragonflesh and Fiendflesh golems as a sub-group of Flesh Golems and I use Athach, Crawling Claw and Mongrelmen also as weaker/stronger versions of the flesh golem.

@Icyshadow: That is true, but I use the rare Barghests as the Goblin masterminds that subdue bugbears, orcs, goblins and even ogres into battle with their mysterious powers and cunningness, in my version Barghest resemble hobgoblins in their goblin form.

Also Hobgoblin always reminds me of my most hated villian from spiderman :p


You familiar with Worghests, Sincubus? They are Goblins with Barghest blood (basically Goblin Tieflings/Half-Fiends) and I would actually love to play one some day for the hell of it. But they would work in your campaign just as well, since they are "blessed" by the deities of Goblinkind (this fluff applies in Golarion, at the very least).


Icyshadow wrote:
You familiar with Worghests, Sincubus? They are Goblins with Barghest blood (basically Goblin Tieflings/Half-Fiends) and I would actually love to play one some day for the hell of it. But they would work in your campaign just as well, since they are "blessed" by the deities of Goblinkind (this fluff applies in Golarion, at the very least).

Nope never heard of before, but they sound interesting so i'll look them up! Thanks for the tip!

EDIT To stay ontopic I would also like the Symplegades to become Paizonized in Bestairy 4.

For most people who don't know what the Symplegades are: Two giant rocks that crush boats between them, they are from the Argonauts of greek mythology.

A more monsterized-version of the Symplegades for books and stories would be twin stone golems (legendary or just big and rare) of which one of their arms is grotesk and deformed into a shield-like crushing devise, both twin golems have this deformed giant hand on a different side so they can crush creatures and heroes between the two of them, they are of course linked-together with telepathy and when one of the two is destoyed the other will go berserk into a mindless frenzy, unlike stone golems the Symplegaden have a strange form of intelligence, much like a scarecrow.


Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Modules, Roleplaying Game Subscriber

I wouldn't mind seeing gem dragons(Diamond, Ruby, Emerald, Pearl, and Saphire) and some more Primal(postive energy plane). But I do not miss Fang, Brown, Deep, Yellow, Orange, or Grey Dragons but a Purple Dragon would be interesting even if it doesn't have age categories. I also like non-true draons species such as Linnorms, Wyverns, Drakes, Faerie Dragons, Pseudo Dragons and others. I would love to see the Gorynych, Guivre, some more small(tiny to small size) dragon types and other "lesser Dragons".

As for Golems I would like to see Mud, Doll, Bone, Gold, Coral, Shell, Brass, Copper, Silver, Gem/Crystal, Plant, Paper/Orugami, Cloth, and Mercury come to mind. A steal variant of Iron and living wood variant of the wood golem as well.


Dragon78 wrote:


As for Golems I would like to see Mud, Doll, Bone, Gold, Coral, Shell, Brass, Copper, Silver, Gem/Crystal, Plant, Paper/Orugami, Cloth, and Mercury come to mind. A steal variant of Iron and living wood variant of the wood golem as well.

Doll Golem could be interesting, but they remind me of Chucky/childs play too much, I would like a Voodoo Doll-like Golem tho. :p

Coral Golem = Cool, forgot about those, but a Shell Golem is too much, could combine them with Coral Golem to create a Reef Golem! Reef Golems could be used by Sahuagins or Tritons.

Gold Golem = No go for me, they are too much like Stone Golems anyway.

Brass Golem = The minotaur right? I have another plan for those, nothing golem.

Copper + Silver = See gold golem, however, if I had too choose one, I would pick Silver for the sake of anti-lycanthropy, I can see Lycanthrope-hunting organisations create Silver Golems.

Crystal Golem = Ok, especially the Psionic Killer/ruby golem

Plant Golem? Give me Dryad, Vegepygmy or Wood Woads, but not Plant Golems...

Paper & Cloth Golem = Are you serious? :p

Mercury Golem = Another sub-species of Iron Golem for me, and this one is the best Golem on your list, I just love Terminator 2! This would be the ultimate hunter, much like the Astral Stalker from M&M1 4th edition.


What would I like to see?

More chromatic and metallic dragons. Purple and Lead especially. I don't need platinum, mithril and mercury dragons though, having red-green weakness I already have enough trouble telling gold, copper, bronze and brass apart, so I don't need three extra dragon types i can't for the life of me tell apart from silver dragons. Iron is alright as long as it gets some distinct red to it or is considerably darker than silver (but not as dark as lead).

A category of explicitly neutral aligned true dragons, that fit in with the color coding of metallic and chromatic dragons. Like gem dragons in MM2.

Animals that do not exist in reality, but still are animal type (not magical beasts)

Playable races that are totally unlike anything we have seen in fantasy so far (not just humans with funny features, humans mixed with something else, or humanoid animals, something that is really new)

Donkeys and mules. I know Paizo says we should use ponies for donkeys and advanced ponies for mules, but the glaringly obvious exploit in that is kind of making it hard for me to take (that being both of them having the same store price, which is cheaper than a regular pony, while the mule is the vastly superior loot-carting device out of the two and can actually measure up to a war pony (which is even more expensive) in stats)

More drakes and linnorms, as always.

Oriental dragons.

Goblinoids to cover the other six alignments

More animals with companion stats that allow them to be taken as a mount for a medium sized character at level 1. (i.e. large size at level 1)

variations of lizardfolk (larger, smaller, faster, stronger, whatever)

dragontouched (like planetouched but with dragons)

dinosaur themed humanoids or monstrous humanoids

Dinosaurs: Carcharodontosaurus and Amphicoelias (fragillimus, not the other one, who is rather small), the two largest reported representatives of their respective ends of the diet spectrum.

the missing creatures from the Jabberwocky poem and Alice in Wonderland in general.

okay I'm running out of ideas now. Soory for the inconsistent use of captialization and probably punctuation. It's just what I always do, only normally it's not 4 in the morning, and I can actually be bothered to go over them and root out most of the mistakes before posting.


Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Modules, Roleplaying Game Subscriber

Were getting the Bandersnatch(and hopefully the Cheshire Cat).

Were getting 4 new Linnorms and some new Drakes in the Beastairy 3.

The Imperial Dragons are the Oriental/Asian ones.

Non-evil Gobliniod races would be interesting.

Dragontouched and Feytouched races would be cool.

Humaniod/Monstrous Humaniod Dinosaurs would also be cool.


Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Roleplaying Game Subscriber

I'd like to see daemon-themed Apocalypse Golems. The AGs trumpeted on an Age of Worms cover turned out to be ordinary stained glass golems in the image of the Four Horsemen, and I call that false advertising. :P


Dragon78 wrote:

Were getting the Bandersnatch(and hopefully the Cheshire Cat).

Were getting 4 new Linnorms and some new Drakes in the Beastairy 3.

The Imperial Dragons are the Oriental/Asian ones.

Non-evil Gobliniod races would be interesting.

Dragontouched and Feytouched races would be cool.

Humaniod/Monstrous Humaniod Dinosaurs would also be cool.

I know about the bandersnatch, linnorms and drakes in Bestiary 3, my point is, I want EVEN more.


Evil Midnight Lurker wrote:

Because it's almost certainly too late for Bestiary 3. :)

To start: Recent discussion of ghost ships indicates that there's a niche for skeletons and zombies that, while not necessarily any tougher than standard issue, retain skill ranks and can be commanded to perform profession- and maybe even craft-related tasks. Sailor dead, that sort of thing. (Could easily be a variant, just a couple of paragraphs in the back of the book.)

I'm assuming we'll see demodands sometime soon, but... there have only ever been three kinds, and the other fiends keep getting additions to their ranks, so... New demodands please!

RPG Superstar monsters. The Hunger that Moves deserves an official writeup!

I agree x1000 on the demodands, and the RPG Superstar monsters. They would be worth paying freelancer fees for, and polishing


Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Modules, Roleplaying Game Subscriber

There is no Cheshire Cat:(

There are 5 Imperial Dragons, 4 Linnorms, 3 Drakes, Faerie Dragon, one other weak dragon, and there some more Dragons then these but James Jacobs wouldn't say how many.

The Gorynych might be in there or some other product in the near future

Other Possibilities are the Tetzl Wyrm, Peluda, and maybe some of those nasty dragons in the Legacy of Fire AP.

Silver Crusade

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Modules Subscriber

Any interesting non-evil undead.

Any good-aligned creatures that represent the Dark Is Not Evil trope.


Mikaze wrote:

Any interesting non-evil undead.

Any good-aligned creatures that represent the Dark Is Not Evil trope.

Not being a huge fan of good-based creatures I admit, I would like to see all angels, unicorns, humans and other such things into an own manual far away from the cool evil stuff, but that's just me...


I'm not sure about everyone else, but I'm a huge fan of easy to apply templates, monster feats, and any tools to customize and properly adjust CR/encounters/etc.

More Animal companions, playable races (although I imagine the races book will contain most of this), Basic animals, PLANTS (Druids want more options for Plantshape), Magical beasts.

I'd also like some more Daemons because they rock and since the Cacodemon is so reminiscent of Doom II I'd like the Imp, Arch Vile and any others that come to mind hehe.

I'm sure there are a million other things I'd like to see, but honestly what I'd like to see most is a good assortment of baddies straight from the minds of the Paizo group. Something original and not just a re-make. I have full faith in you folks and can't wait to get my hands on Beastiary 3!

Shadow Lodge

Abominations
Byakhee
Demon, Golgothan Excremental
Demon, Candarian
Dhole
Flying Polyp
Hunting Horror
Lavawight
Nightgaunt
Paragon Creature (template)
Pseudonatural Creature (template)
Shadow of the Void
Shan, Insect from Shaggai
Shape of Fire
Umbral Blot

Hazard: Flux Slime


Seal + Dire seal


Pathfinder Comics Subscriber; Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Card Game, Companion, Roleplaying Game Subscriber

May have been mentioned before but here are a few I'd like..

Cait Sidhe
Malk
Grimmalkin
Wumpus Cat
Pooka/Puca
Nekomata

yeah I like cats so what?


Paizo Charter Superscriber; Pathfinder Battles Case Subscriber; Pathfinder Deluxe Comics Subscriber

Templates. I use templates more than I use anything else.

And I want monsters in the CR25-40 range, but I certainly don't expect to see much of that in Bestiary 4. :)


from the bestiary 3 wishlist leftovers:
the greater Cyclops from greek mythology (the smiths and architects).
Fomorians (with balors eye as artfact.)
More fey(never enough)
More linnrom
Giant vultures(Huge CG Mountain/desert guardian with a dry Laconic wit)
More Dinosaus
nightgaunts
Baryonyx
Carcharodontosaurus
A Paizo version of the green Knight would be cool (maybe a Template with a red and Black knight variant)
http://www.theoi.com/Gigante/GigantesAgriosOreios.html
(to explain these are Bearmen capable to change into birds)
Renards: CG shapeshifting foxfey
and The Azis from AP 24
mongoose publishing's sprit nephilim could alse get the paizo treatment
Brontotherium would be cool also


Pathfinder Battles Case Subscriber; Pathfinder Comics Subscriber; Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Modules, Roleplaying Game Subscriber

+1 on fomorians, though to get the feel of the legends, they would probably have to be treated similar to the orgekin template (i.e. roll for deformities, powers, etc.).

And there's always room for more linnorms.


More Linnorms? I rather see something non-dragon for a change, something original.

But that's me... Never liked the things other people crawl and craved for such as Dragons, Templates (never like the artless pages we get through this or never like the artwork of templates anyhow and never use them in any game/story I create) and Goblins.

Anyway i'm pretty satisfied with the number of folklore creatures in the books, almost all are in there, springheel, redcap, kelpie, wendigo and even the yukionna.

The only ones I want to see still are ones of the less-famous greek mythology monsters such as the Argus (non-giant tho) the symplegaden (golem-variant) and Antaeus.

Shadow Lodge

Dunno how probable this is, but some monsters inspired by the Metroid games. Especially the different stages of the metroid life cycle from Metroid 2 (and sadly almost completely ignored in the rest of the series).

Paizo Employee Editor-in-Chief

Kthulhu wrote:
Dunno how probable this is, but some monsters inspired by the Metroid games. Especially the different stages of the metroid life cycle from Metroid 2 (and sadly almost completely ignored in the rest of the series).

You've seen the ghorazagh, right? That central eye arrangement didn't come about at random. ;)

Though I also wanted these guys to feel like xenomorphs with the way they create semi-organic structures within tunnels. They're kind of drawing inspiration from all over.


My little list:

Cats of Ulthar
Coyote/Xolotl (may require mythic rules)
-Actually loads of Mesoamerican and Native American monsters would be awesome.-
Aos Si (untrustworthy fey elf-like beings)
Melusines (shapeshifting merfolk/dragons)
Aborigine monsters (beyond the Bunyip, anyway)
Polynesian monsters

Basically, there's some other continents. It would great to pillage their mythologies as well... :)

Silver Crusade

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Modules Subscriber

Just repeating a request from the Bestiary 3 product thread: Apsaras and other celestials pulling from India!

F. Wesley Schneider wrote:
Kthulhu wrote:
Dunno how probable this is, but some monsters inspired by the Metroid games. Especially the different stages of the metroid life cycle from Metroid 2 (and sadly almost completely ignored in the rest of the series).

You've seen the ghorazagh, right? That central eye arrangement didn't come about at random. ;)

Oh snap, I can see it now.

hellharlequin wrote:
Giant vultures(Huge CG Mountain/desert guardian with a dry Laconic wit)

Yeah, carrion birds get a raw deal. Ravens get romanticized every now and then, but the poor vulture?


Player: What do you mean he's CG? He's a vulture!

Vulture Guardian Guy: Ooooh! So now I'm the badguy! Guess you want dead bodies bloating and festering in the sun after you've looted them, spreading disease instead of letting someone get on with the circle of life in peace.

Player: ...well...no...

Vulture Guardian Guy: Okay then. ......so, you gonna eat that? points at dead party member/follower/BBEG

RPG Superstar 2008 Top 32

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Mikaze wrote:


hellharlequin wrote:
Giant vultures(Huge CG Mountain/desert guardian with a dry Laconic wit)

Yeah, carrion birds get a raw deal. Ravens get romanticized every now and then, but the poor vulture?


Player: What do you mean he's CG? He's a vulture!

Vulture Guardian Guy: Ooooh! So now I'm the badguy! Guess you want dead bodies bloating and festering in the sun after you've looted them, spreading disease instead of letting someone get on with the circle of life in peace.

Player: ...well...no...

Vulture Guardian Guy: Okay then. ......so, you gonna eat that? points at dead party member/follower/BBEG

Yes! Though in my case, I want a hyena agathion in this role, with a big grudge against Lamashtu. Scavengers are a very important part of the ecosystem, but they always get cast as villains. And hyenas are awesome.

As you've said, we need more Dark Is Not Evil trope monsters.


CNichols wrote:
Mikaze wrote:


hellharlequin wrote:
Giant vultures(Huge CG Mountain/desert guardian with a dry Laconic wit)

Yeah, carrion birds get a raw deal. Ravens get romanticized every now and then, but the poor vulture?


Player: What do you mean he's CG? He's a vulture!

Vulture Guardian Guy: Ooooh! So now I'm the badguy! Guess you want dead bodies bloating and festering in the sun after you've looted them, spreading disease instead of letting someone get on with the circle of life in peace.

Player: ...well...no...

Vulture Guardian Guy: Okay then. ......so, you gonna eat that? points at dead party member/follower/BBEG

Yes! Though in my case, I want a hyena agathion in this role, with a big grudge against Lamashtu. Scavengers are a very important part of the ecosystem, but they always get cast as villains. And hyenas are awesome.

As you've said, we need more Dark Is Not Evil trope monsters.

not ot mention that hyenas have a higher hunt/scavange ratio than lions


CNichols wrote:
As you've said, we need more Dark Is Not Evil trope monsters.

A million times this.

The person above me is correct. Lions scavenge more than hyenas.

101 to 150 of 2,238 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Publishing / Pathfinder® / Pathfinder RPG / Paizo Products / Bestiary 4 Wish List All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.