Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
About Paizo Messageboards News Paizo Blog Help/FAQ
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

[Fantastic Gallery] Sisters of Rapture (PFRPG Edition)


D&D 3.5/d20/OGL


3 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path Charter Subscriber

Fantastic Gallery presents Sisters of Rapture!

Aphrodite. Isis. Freya. Since the dawn of civilization, these names have been synonymous with passion, beauty and pleasure. But even the goddesses of love have their enemies! Join this sexy sisterhood of magic and steel in their struggle to protect the innocent from sexual oppression and the mad desires of the cruel, the wasteful and the ugly. Born from the imagination of popular erotic artist, T.Catt, the Sisters of Rapture is a PFRPG-compatible sourcebook detailing the exploits and organization of a sect of all-female warrior priestesses who fight against the forces of darkness with magic, blade and raw sexual power, all in the name of divine love!

Inside you’ll find all you need to integrate this class into your campaign, including:

• The Sister of Rapture base class, retooled for the PFRPG!

• FIVE sexy prestige classes!

• New Traits, Class Archetypes and other information specific to the PFRPG!

• Erotic feats, spells and magic items!

• Erotic monsters and enemies!

• Details on the various goddesses of love and the Sisters of Rapture sect!

Also included: a "stripped" edition, free of art or graphics for easy printing and a 13-page full color character sheet designed specifically for Sisters of Rapture characters!

Also included is a host of all-new original erotic illustrations by internet favorites, T.Catt, Miravi, Anthony Carpenter, Thom Chiaramonte, Jaxtraw and more!

WARNING! CONTAINS ARTISTIC NUDITY AND ADULT MATERIAL!

Also, be sure to check out the Rapturous Factions Guide, a free web enhancement (also not safe for work).


Cool.

Andoran

Interesting. Sounds a bit like that infamous book WOTC released (and, I suspect, later wished they hadn't)

Just curious ... is this not available here on Paizo.com?

Andoran

Should be easy enough to adapt to Golarion, by having Calistria, Shelyn, and Desna or Sarenrae replace Aphrodite, Freya and Isis as the Three Faces of Love.


lonewolf23k wrote:
Should be easy enough to adapt to Golarion, by having Calistria, Shelyn, and Desna or Sarenrae replace Aphrodite, Freya and Isis as the Three Faces of Love.

Hmm... the only issue I can see with that is Calistria. She's not exactly a goddess of "love" per say. Definitely not in the way that Aphrodite, Freya and Isis are portrayed anyway.

Doesn't keep it from working of course. It just takes a bit of effort to adjust the flavour for a chaotic neutral goddess of lust, passion and revenge while keeping in with the sisterhood.

Qadira

Pathfinder Adventure Path Charter Subscriber; Pathfinder Comics Subscriber; Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Cards, Companion, Maps, Modules, Roleplaying Game, Tales Subscriber
Marc Radle wrote:

Interesting. Sounds a bit like that infamous book WOTC released (and, I suspect, later wished they hadn't)

Just curious ... is this not available here on Paizo.com?

WotC did not release that book, and as I recall, they changed the OGL to prevent that kind of book from happening again.

Paizo is great for having 'mature content', but I think this is probably a bit much even for them. I'd be surprised if it becomes available here.

Qadira

Yes the famous, or is that infamous, book was made by a developer for WotC but was not in fact released by them. WotC was flabbergasted to say the least. Or so I had heard.

Cheliax

Pathfinder Adventure Path Charter Subscriber; Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Companion, Modules, Roleplaying Game Subscriber
Tobias wrote:
lonewolf23k wrote:
Should be easy enough to adapt to Golarion, by having Calistria, Shelyn, and Desna or Sarenrae replace Aphrodite, Freya and Isis as the Three Faces of Love.

Hmm... the only issue I can see with that is Calistria. She's not exactly a goddess of "love" per say. Definitely not in the way that Aphrodite, Freya and Isis are portrayed anyway.

Doesn't keep it from working of course. It just takes a bit of effort to adjust the flavour for a chaotic neutral goddess of lust, passion and revenge while keeping in with the sisterhood.

Aphrodite wasn't much of a "Love" goddess either.

Now I actually own the OGL version of this title, and I do have to ask something about this version, in terms of the mechanics: why not just convert them as a new Mystery for Oracles? The Sister of Rapture class is a spontaneous divine caster, Cha-based, with some powers that they choose at every few levels... Sounds basically like an Oracle to me. There could even be an Oracle's Curse for them something along the lines of the following:

Unhindered: You cannot wear armor at any time, and you lose all Armor Proficiency feats. In return you can add up to one point of your Cha modifier per class level to your AC as a sacred bonus.

Anyway, just a rough idea that I had reading over the preview and trying to decide if I want to pick up the PFRPG version or not.


Kvantum wrote:
Aphrodite wasn't much of a "Love" goddess either.

I'm referring more to the way she is described in this book, as opposed to the mythological one. The goddesses in SoR are much closer to Shelyn in their outlook than they are to Calistra. All of them are Good as well and look at the overall picture of Love, rather than focusing on it's physical aspect the way Calistra does.

It's a minor thing. SoRs are allowed to be Neutral, though all of the sampled goddesses are Good. It just means that it takes a little work to mesh Calistra's focus with a group that is much more rounded in its outlook.


Pathfinder Adventure Path, Maps, Modules, Roleplaying Game Subscriber

Just bought a copy.

I've been working on a Charisma-based, divine-casting class, called the Sacred Consort, for my HB's goddess of passion/inspiration. It's not as overtly sexual as this class, but it might help to save me some time or at least give me something to balance against. (The SC is more like a bard-casting monk specialized in evasiveness and drawing attacks away from others.)

I do think it's interesting that the class in this book gains a Sacred bonus to AC. I had tried that at first also, but later changed it to deflection because I was worried it would be too over-powered since it could still stack with rings of protection otherwise. Maybe I should reconsider though...

Thanks for the linkage! :)


Pathfinder Adventure Path Charter Subscriber
Marc Radle wrote:
Just curious ... is this not available here on Paizo.com?
Wolfthulhu wrote:
Paizo is great for having 'mature content', but I think this is probably a bit much even for them. I'd be surprised if it becomes available here.

Hey guys, I'm not involved on the publishing side of things, but my understanding is that the publishers simply didn't consider selling through Paizo for whatever reason. Also, I can't speak for Paizo, but I'd be surprised if they were to decide that they didn't want this sold in their store - they sell 4E here, after all.

Kvantum wrote:
Now I actually own the OGL version of this title, and I do have to ask something about this version, in terms of the mechanics: why not just convert them as a new Mystery for Oracles?

Simply put, the author wasn't at all interested in having the Sister of Rapture class not be its own class. And, to a degree, I can agree with that; this might have been convertible into an oracle mystery, but it'd be quite a squeeze for all of the class options and abilities that are there.

Laithoron wrote:
I do think it's interesting that the class in this book gains a Sacred bonus to AC. I had tried that at first also, but later changed it to deflection because I was worried it would be too over-powered since it could still stack with rings of protection otherwise. Maybe I should reconsider though...

That was a bit of a back-and-forth. The eventual reasoning was that since their AC bonus is static (save for taking a feat for a small boost, or raising their Charisma), it'd be better for it not to be a deflection bonus, since they can't wear armor and would need to have other ways to pump up their AC.


Pathfinder Adventure Path, Maps, Modules, Roleplaying Game Subscriber
Laithoron wrote:
I do think it's interesting that the class in this book gains a Sacred bonus to AC. I had tried that at first also, but later changed it to deflection because I was worried it would be too over-powered since it could still stack with rings of protection otherwise. Maybe I should reconsider though...
Alzrius wrote:
That was a bit of a back-and-forth. The eventual reasoning was that since their AC bonus is static (save for taking a feat for a small boost, or raising their Charisma), it'd be better for it not to be a deflection bonus, since they can't wear armor and would need to have other ways to pump up their AC.

That makes sense. In my case I had the AC bonus increase at about the same rate as a monk's for much the same reason — Sacred Consorts are not only non-proficient with armor they are prohibited from wearing it. I've been thinking about converting the Sacred Consort into a prestige class lately, so this definitely gives me a few things to consider...


Pathfinder Adventure Path Charter Subscriber

This just in from Fantastic Gallery:

Quote:
We are pleased to announce that both the OGL and PFRPG editions of Sisters of Rapture are now available in print through DriveThruRPG's Print-On-Demand service! Both editions contain the same full-color interiors that you've come to enjoy in our digital editions, as well as a few extra bonuses, including d20 Modern Sisters of Rapture and Epic Characters (OGL edition only), the Rapturous Factions Guide (PFRPG edition only) and the Nefer-Sefet prestige class (both editions). Also included in both editions is an exclusive sketchbook featuring never-before-seen artwork by T.Catt and other contributing artists!


Alzrius wrote:

This just in from Fantastic Gallery:

Quote:
We are pleased to announce that both the OGL and PFRPG editions of Sisters of Rapture are now available in print through DriveThruRPG's Print-On-Demand service! Both editions contain the same full-color interiors that you've come to enjoy in our digital editions, as well as a few extra bonuses, including d20 Modern Sisters of Rapture and Epic Characters (OGL edition only), the Rapturous Factions Guide (PFRPG edition only) and the Nefer-Sefet prestige class (both editions). Also included in both editions is an exclusive sketchbook featuring never-before-seen artwork by T.Catt and other contributing artists!

Ordered my PoD copy yesterday!


Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber
Alzrius wrote:

This just in from Fantastic Gallery:

Quote:
We are pleased to announce that both the OGL and PFRPG editions of Sisters of Rapture are now available in print through DriveThruRPG's Print-On-Demand service! Both editions contain the same full-color interiors that you've come to enjoy in our digital editions, as well as a few extra bonuses, including d20 Modern Sisters of Rapture and Epic Characters (OGL edition only), the Rapturous Factions Guide (PFRPG edition only) and the Nefer-Sefet prestige class (both editions). Also included in both editions is an exclusive sketchbook featuring never-before-seen artwork by T.Catt and other contributing artists!

Print edition?? Great news, just bought mine!


Holy crap I haven't seen the gang in ages.

(CSB) Used to be in a forum/mailing list type thing for when this was being hashed out. Glad to see it made it fully to fruition.
(/CSB)


I am ALLLLLLLLLLLLLLL over this.


Pathfinder Adventure Path Charter Subscriber
TheAntiElite wrote:

Holy crap I haven't seen the gang in ages.

(CSB) Used to be in a forum/mailing list type thing for when this was being hashed out. Glad to see it made it fully to fruition.
(/CSB)

Wow, so you've been waiting quite a bit longer than most! I wasn't part of that old group; I first heard about this book when the OGL version came out a few years ago - if it took this long to get the PF version out, I can only imagine what it felt like waiting for the OGL release!


Pathfinder Companion, Roleplaying Game Subscriber

Hey there folks! Talon Dunning, artist and publisher for Fantastic Gallery here. I thought I'd address some of your questions here directly.

-Publishing via Paizo: I would love to distribute our digital products via Paizo's store, however, we are under an exclusive contract with OneBookShelf (they run DriveThruRPG and RPGNow). When we signed up for DriveThru's service, I had to decide whether to be exclusive and get a higher percentage of the sales or settle for less and try to make up the difference here. I figured that it would probably work out to about the same and went with that was, essentially, the simpler choice. It has nothing to do with Paizo not allowing adult content in their store. As far as I know, there is no such ban on adult material here. The only thing that the book's adult content prevented us from doing was including the Pathfinder Compatibility logo or otherwise claiming PF Compatibility on the cover (hence the use of the term "PFRPG" instead of "Pathfinder Roleplaying Game"). Otherwise, it's just another OGL product.

-Pathfinder goddesses for SoR: I ran this one by T.Catt. Here's his response:
"This has been brought up before. Obviously, I can't include the Golarion goddesses, specifically, due to copyright, but, that doesn't mean I'm not planning on addressing them. I'm currently in the planning stages of an SoR supplement called 'The Book of Divine Love' that will detail just about every mythological love-goddess I can find as well as a handful of original 'fantasy' goddesses. The fantasy goddesses will contain obvious allegories to proprietary characters such as Sune from Forgotten Realms and Shelyn and Callistria from Golarion. They will sport different names to avoid infringement, but will be close enough to the originals that they can easily be used as substitutions for SoR characters playing in those settings. I'm aware of the challenge that Callistria poses to the established mantra of the SoR and that will be addressed in her doppleganger's entry. Callistria is one of my favorite deities from the Pathfinder setting, so I'm looking forward to finding a place for her in the Sisters of Rapture."

In the meantime, we suggest that if you want to play a Sister of Rapture in a Golarion game, stick to Shelyn and either assign her Aphrodite's Love's Blessings or make up some of your own.

-SoR as Oracle mystery; Frankly, that never occurred to me. The Oracle (or Pathfinder in general for that matter) didn't exist when T.Catt was writing the original OGL book and the Oracle class came out while Shane and I were in the process of doing the PF conversion. To rework the class as an Oracle mystery would have, essentially, completely undermined the Sisters of Rapture as a stand-alone product. The book exists as a base class and crunch support for that base class. Without the base class, the book becomes a much weaker product, more along the lines of a $4 supplement rather than a stand-alone book. So even if we were designing this thing from scratch today, it would probably still be its own thing. It makes more sense from a business standpoint. Now, that being said, making an SoR Oracle mystery isn't a terrible idea. Shane's creation of the SoR as a stand-alone faction actually opens them up to other classes, and Oracles would fit in nicely, as would clerics or even paladins. I would imagine that the vast majority of the Rapturous would still have levels of SoR, though.

-Sacred AC bonus: From T.Catt: "I did consider, very carefully, if I wanted the Distracting Beauty ability to stack with other bonuses and I eventually settled on 'yes.' The reason for this is, essentially, conceptual. The entire inspiration for the SoR in the first place was the classic fantasy art depictions of naked or semi-naked women who are obviously efficient warriors despite their total lack of physical protection. I figured in order to achieve this, I needed to make it so that the SoR characters could still maintain a decent AC even without armor. If the Distracting Beauty bonus didn't stack with other non-armor-provided bonuses, it would be difficult to make a naked character with a decent AC. The SoR may be spellcasters, but they're also supposed to be able to handle themselves in melee combat as well, so its essential that their AC be as high as one can get it without wearing any armor."

-The BoEF: Valar's Book of Erotic Fantasy was, indeed, the book that caused WOtC to alter the old d20 System License to prevent the inclusion of adult material, which forced Valar to publish under the OGL instead. By the time we were ready to publish the original SoR book in 2008, the d20 GSL had been pulled by WOtC in general in favor of the new 4th edition GSL (which also includes a community standards clause preventing us from ever creating a 4e version of the class), so the OGL was literally our only choice. Honestly this didn't bother us too much since "OGL" has become synonymous with "d20 System" anyway.

Thanks for your interest in the Sisters of Rapture. If you have any more questions, feel free to ask them and either myself, Shane or T.Catt will be glad to get you answers.

-Talon

Cheliax

Pathfinder Comics Subscriber; Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Modules, Roleplaying Game Subscriber

Just curious but after a year of exclusive deal can't you then sell on other places as well? I only ask cause I know Purple Duck Publishing did that and after a year added their products on Paizo as well.


Thanks for the comments, Talon!

Looking forward to the further books. Is there any chance that Beauties & Beasts or The Book of Divine Love will include an alternate class like the Anti-paladin (Sisters of Lust?), such as for sisters who fall away from the core tenants of their faiths and embrace views more appropriate for followers of the likes of Lamashtu (Goddess of Madness, Monsters and Nightmares), Nocticula (Demon Lord of Assassins, Darkness and Lust), Socothbenoth (Demon Lord of Perversions, Pride and Taboo), Zaebos (Infernal Duke of Arrogance, Nobility and Sexual Perversion) or Zepar (Infernal Duke of Abduction, Rape and Transformation)*.

I don't know if it would really require a full alternate class, as it might work with an Archetype that allows for Evil Sisters, change out one or two of their Kiss of Power options and their Sisterhood/Motherhood features, along with a different Love's Blessing to choose from for the evil god/goddesses.

It might be something that could be introduced in Beauties & Beasts and expanded in The Book of Divine Love, perhaps even as a faction.

Just a suggestion.

*Most of which would obviously need some form of analog for copyright purposes.

Edit: On a completely different not, absolutely love your work. It was one of my favourite things about the 3e Ravenloft line. You really captured the feeling of the setting and the different character portraits.


Pathfinder Adventure Path Charter Subscriber
Tobias wrote:
Is there any chance that Beauties & Beasts or The Book of Divine Love will include an alternate class like the Anti-paladin (Sisters of Lust?)

Fun fact, the Autarch Sorority in the Factions Guide started out as an attempt to create an evil analogue of the Sisters of Rapture. Though of course, the end result was something quite different.


Alzrius wrote:
Tobias wrote:
Is there any chance that Beauties & Beasts or The Book of Divine Love will include an alternate class like the Anti-paladin (Sisters of Lust?)
Fun fact, the Autarch Sorority in the Factions Guide started out as an attempt to create an evil analogue of the Sisters of Rapture. Though of course, the end result was something quite different.

I kind of figured as much. I could also see a number of corrupted Sisters being members of the more militant wing of that order.


On a conceptual level I am o.k. with this but was the inclusion of graphic art necessary? Please tell me you don't have any mechanics for the deed like that infamous book did.

Also, wouldn't Hathor have been a better choice than Isis?


The NPC wrote:

On a conceptual level I am o.k. with this but was the inclusion of graphic art necessary? Please tell me you don't have any mechanics for the deed like that infamous book did.

Also, wouldn't Hathor have been a better choice than Isis?

The PDF download comes with two editions. The normal one and then the "Stripped" version which has no art.

As for mechanics, there's a Perform skill that gives bonuses or penalties to social checks with the partner. It is literally "You rolled high? You both had a good time." Nothing more complex than that.


Pathfinder Adventure Path Charter Subscriber
The NPC wrote:
On a conceptual level I am o.k. with this but was the inclusion of graphic art necessary?

Simply put, yes. Yes it was.

Given that this book is about a mystery cult that focuses on love, with a heavy emphasis on physical love, and draws a good bit of their power from being scantily clad, having artwork with them covered up wouldn't have made a lot of sense.

As Tobias noted, however, there's a graphics-free "stripped" version.

Quote:
Please tell me you don't have any mechanics for the deed like that infamous book did.

There is a Perform (sexual techniques) skill, if that's what you mean.

The nature of that skill is one of the things that changed between the OGL version and this version. The previous version didn't really have a mechanical impact; I lobbied for a change this time around - now the skill grants a bonus on social checks, and the DC of mind-affecting effects.

The rationale for the change was that a skill with no mechanical bonus - barring the wide applicability of the Knowledge skills - was a waste of skill points. Why take ranks in a skill that granted you nothing when there were skills like Perception, Stealth, Sense Motive, and others out there? So this time around, we had it grant a bonus to certain other things.

But as Tobias stated, there's no reason why you can't have it be less than that, however, or even ignore the skill entirely if you like (though that'll impact one or two other parts of the book, e.g. a trait and a domain power).

Quote:
Also, wouldn't Hathor have been a better choice than Isis?

That one wasn't up to me. I'd imagine it was because Isis was more popularly-known, and had a wider in-game applicability since she's also a goddess of arcane magic.


Alzrius wrote:
The NPC wrote:
On a conceptual level I am o.k. with this but was the inclusion of graphic art necessary?

Simply put, yes. Yes it was.

Given that this book is about a mystery cult that focuses on love, with a heavy emphasis on physical love, and draws a good bit of their power from being scantily clad, having artwork with them covered up wouldn't have made a lot of sense.

As Tobias noted, however, there's a graphics-free "stripped" version.

Quote:
Please tell me you don't have any mechanics for the deed like that infamous book did.

There is a Perform (sexual techniques) skill, if that's what you mean.

The nature of that skill is one of the things that changed between the OGL version and this version. The previous version didn't really have a mechanical impact; I lobbied for a change this time around - now the skill grants a bonus on social checks, and the DC of mind-affecting effects.

The rationale for the change was that a skill with no mechanical bonus - barring the wide applicability of the Knowledge skills - was a waste of skill points. Why take ranks in a skill that granted you nothing when there were skills like Perception, Stealth, Sense Motive, and others out there? So this time around, we had it grant a bonus to certain other things.

But as Tobias stated, there's no reason why you can't have it be less than that, however, or even ignore the skill entirely if you like (though that'll impact one or two other parts of the book, e.g. a trait and a domain power).

Quote:
Also, wouldn't Hathor have been a better choice than Isis?
That one wasn't up to me. I'd imagine it was because Isis was more popularly-known, and had a wider in-game applicability since she's also a goddess of arcane magic.

And it had nothing to do with her having a cow head? ;o)


The NPC wrote:
And it had nothing to do with her having a cow head? ;o)

Actually, Hathor is mentioned very briefly and Sisters who dedicate themselves to the Pharaonic pantheon can choose between Hathor and Isis. Mechanically, they use the same list of Love's Blessings abilities to choose from, except those dedicated to Isis can choose an ability called Mother's Magic and can grant a bonus to Knowledge (arcana) checks with the Patron's Blessing ability, while those who follow Hathor can instead choose the Mother's Luck ability instead of Mother's Magic and grant a bonus to Perform checks with Patron's Blessing.

The text explains why Isis gets more face time though. Not a detailed explanation, but enough of one to answer the question.


Pathfinder Companion, Roleplaying Game Subscriber
Dark_Mistress wrote:
Just curious but after a year of exclusive deal can't you then sell on other places as well? I only ask cause I know Purple Duck Publishing did that and after a year added their products on Paizo as well.

I need to check back here for replies more often... As I recall, the length of exclusivity (and how long you're with DriveThru in general) is determined by the contract one signs when they sign up for the service. I signed a three-year contract, covering 2008-2011. However, the contract automatically renews for another specified period unless one takes steps to cancel it at the end of its run. Honestly, had I thought about it before it renewed, I would have considered changing it to a non-exclusive contract and selling through Paizo as well, but I literally forgot about it until it had already rolled over into a new contract period. I'm not terribly broken up about it, though. DriveThru gives a decent percentage for exclusive members and it does make the bookkeeping easier.

Tobias wrote:
Looking forward to the further books. Is there any chance that Beauties & Beasts or The Book of Divine Love will include an alternate class like the Anti-paladin (Sisters of Lust?)

That's a cool idea, actually, and one I'd not considered until now (outside of Shane's female supremacy faction that eventually became the Autarch Sorority). I'm not sure what book it would be the most appropriate for, but I bet we could find a home for it somewhere. I ran it by T.Catt (SoR's creator and author) and he liked it as well. If we use it, I'll make sure you get a "Special Thanks" credit! Thanks for the idea!

Tobias wrote:
Edit: On a completely different not, absolutely love your work. It was one of my favourite things about the 3e Ravenloft line. You really captured the feeling of the setting and the different character portraits.

Thanks! The work I did for White Wolf's Ravenloft setting still remains a highlight of my career and the work for which I am most regularly recognized. I was disappointed to learn that WOtC dropped their plans for a 4e Ravenloft boxed set. While I didn't anticipate getting any work for it, it would have been nice to see se setting in print again. First and foremost, I'm a fan!

The NPC wrote:
On a conceptual level I am o.k. with this but was the inclusion of graphic art necessary? Please tell me you don't have any mechanics for the deed like that infamous book did.

Alzirus fielded this one pretty well. I'll add that the Sisters of Rapture were, from their very beginnings, an homage to "erotic" fantasy art, or, at the very least, the common inclusion of the mostly-naked heroines in the genre. T.Catt himself has said that he was originally inspired to create the SoR (originally called the "Warriors of Rapture") after viewing the work of Luis Royo (These two pics, specifically: "Immaculate" and "The Seeds of Nothing") and discussing with friends why a woman would chose to fight demons in the buff. The Sisters of Rapture are the answer to that question. So, not including nudity in the book would have been something of an injustice to the original inspiration. Also, there's the fact that T.Catt is a near-legendary "Rule 34" artist who's been around for, like, EVER. One of the things that made me want to take up this project was the art. We were both very disappointed in the photographic illustrations in the BoEF (although they DO get points for thinking outside the box) and wanted to make sure that our book looked really spectacular. NOT putting erotic art in the book was never even a question.

As for "rules for sex," we wanted to specifically avoid that. That was something I was very adamant about during the book's development. I thought that was a bad idea to begin with, for one thing, and, frankly, the BoEF had that covered. I saw no reason to repeat what they'd done, aside from the inclusion of the Perform (sexual techniques) skill, which was simply necessary to cover some mechanical details of the classes and such. I was hesitant to allow Alzirus to alter the skill's mechanics for the PFRPG translation, but I saw his point rather quickly and relented to allowing it to actually DO something in-game.

The NPC wrote:
Also, wouldn't Hathor have been a better choice than Isis?

I ran this question by T.Catt. Here's his response: "I considered that, actually, and with Hathor being the Egyptian goddess of love and mirth, it seems like a great idea, but the fact of the matter is that Hathor just doesn't have the prestige and instant recognizability that Isis does. Also, I wanted the Trinity of Love to represent three basic approaches to SoR characters: romance, passion and feminine power. Aphrodite is romance, Freya is passion and Isis is feminine power. While each certainly has aspects of all three traits, I thought that these three goddesses each represented those particular concepts pretty strongly. That said, I did give Hathor her due as the more dedicated Egyptian love-goddess by including her in the Love's Blessings of the base SoR class. Her Rapturous don't carry the political power within the faction that the Isisians do, of course, but they are represented. Hathor may get a more detailed entry in The Book of Divine Love, though, as will the lusty cat-goddess, Bast (who will also have some interesting representation in Beauties & Beasts -assuming I can make that one work out). We'll see how that goes. And yes, I'll admit that her having a cow's head DID play a factor in picking Isis over Hathor, but not as much as you might think."

Thanks for your comments and questions!

-Talon


Pathfinder Adventure Path, Maps Subscriber

First off, I LOVE the SoR books. Much better than the BoEF.
As for the future Book of Divine Love, I have a deity in my custom campaign world who is the goddess of passion, both love and battle. If you need an extra deity, let me know and I can send the info your way, as well as a paladin of passion who is her descendant/champion.
Looking forward to more great work from you guys.


Pathfinder Companion, Roleplaying Game Subscriber
Warhawk7 wrote:

First off, I LOVE the SoR books. Much better than the BoEF.

As for the future Book of Divine Love, I have a deity in my custom campaign world who is the goddess of passion, both love and battle. If you need an extra deity, let me know and I can send the info your way, as well as a paladin of passion who is her descendant/champion.
Looking forward to more great work from you guys.

Again, sorry for the late reply. T.Catt is, indeed, looking for new ideas for original goddesses for The Book of Divine Love, so when the time comes, we may just contact you regarding your idea. Catt is currently working on the SoR Modern Path edition and Beauties & Beasts, so BoDL isn't really gotten underway yet, but it IS on the docket for future development and we're hoping we can get to it sooner rather than later. None of us does this primarily, so work is a bit slow-going... The down-side of small-press publishing, I suppose.

I'm very pleased that you like our book and I hope the upcoming supplements will live up to your expectations! ;-)

-Talon


I bought the PFRPG version of Sisters of Rapture earlier this year, then a Print-on-Demand copy a couple of months later. It's clearly not for every gaming group, but this supplement is a goldmine of RP potential, starting with the SoR class itself but mostly found in the section on the Sisters of Rapture, and their rivals and enemies, as political-spiritual movements. A group of people whose primary goal is to spread joy and happiness throughout the world? Makes a nice change from all those grim, staid paladins and the distinctly funless Hellknights, much less the endless parade of grasping, self-important Big Bads. :D
Yes, most of the artwork shows rather more naughty bits than is usually found in gaming products, but to my eye, every single piece is entirely purposeful and relevant to/illustrative of the text.

Unfortunately, I have the sort of eye and mind which automatically pick out, then get unreasonably hung-up-on, otherwise-minor typos and other writing issues. :S Alzrius, Talon Dunning: where would be the best place to submit a list of errata and corrections?

And while we're waiting for The Book of Divine Love: what is the team's position regarding fan-created original goddesses (or fan-conversions of goddesses from other published worlds) for use as sponsoring deities for Sister of Rapture? Say someone's working up, say, one or more of the Forgotten Realms' goddesses as members of the SoR movement, including unique Love's Blessings. Would T.Catt and the team be okay with a fan-work like that being posted into a thread like this, or would you prefer that fans not do things like that within your sight for legal reasons?
(I ask this because one of the other boards I frequent has a strict policy of 'no fan material where the dev-team can see it'. They can't accept the risk of accidentally using someone else's material and opening themselves to law-suits.... :( )


Pathfinder Adventure Path Charter Subscriber

Trace, first, thanks for all the kind words! I also think that the book has a lot of great flavor material that really helps to make the material in the book not only easy to use in most campaigns, but brings great new role-playing opportunities also.

I was the editor for the book, so any errors that slipped into the final copy are best hung around my neck (though I'd want to double-check that you got the errata file that was issued several months ago?). PM me for where to send a list of errata.

I can't speak for Talon in regards to publishing fan-based material for SoR here, but my personal opinion is that it's alright, presuming that it complies with the Paizo's policies for posting fan-based works on their message boards.

Andoran

Is this book and the classes/prestige classes/feats inside strictly for women characters?


Pathfinder Adventure Path Charter Subscriber; Pathfinder Companion Subscriber

The classes and prestige classes can only be taken by female characters but there is material that can be used by male characters as well.

Andoran

Debihuman wrote:
The classes and prestige classes can only be taken by female characters but there is material that can be used by male characters as well.

A disappointment but thank you for answering.


Are there any neutral evil erotic monsters? My Sorcerer of Lust will eventually take the leadership feat and he's looking for an interesting cohort. :P


Pathfinder Adventure Path Charter Subscriber
Shalastar Lerin wrote:
Are there any neutral evil erotic monsters? My Sorcerer of Lust will eventually take the leadership feat and he's looking for an interesting cohort. :P

There aren't any Neutral Evil monsters in the book, per se. There is, however, a half-nymph template that might be fun on an evil cohort.

Far more fun, I think, would be to have a NE huldra (a CN monster from the book) that your character is married to. Since they have class levels (no natural Hit Dice), and need to get married young (otherwise they take massive Charisma penalties as they age) your character could have a pretty young wife that needs to be faithful to him, lest he divorce her.


Pathfinder Companion, Roleplaying Game Subscriber

Addressing some of the recent posts...

Trace Coburn wrote:
Yes, most of the artwork shows rather more naughty bits than is usually found in gaming products, but to my eye, every single piece is entirely purposeful and relevant to/illustrative of the text.

Indeed it is, especially since, according to T.Catt, the entire point of the book is to explain the presence of the traditional semi-nude and "chain-mail bikini babes" in fantasy illustration. While many people simply complain about how unrealistic such characters are, T.Catt wrote this book as a way of explaining why and how they might exist in the first place. As such, NOT having such illustrations in the book would have undermined the very point.

Trace Coburn wrote:
Unfortunately, I have the sort of eye and mind which automatically pick out, then get unreasonably hung-up-on, otherwise-minor typos and other writing issues. :S Alzrius, Talon Dunning: where would be the best place to submit a list of errata and corrections?

At this point, we've edited and re-edited both versions of the book several times, correcting not only minor grammatical errors, but problems with the system as well. To be honest, while we certainly appreciate your vigilance in this regard, chances are that, unless there's a further problem with the game rules themselves, it's doubtful that we'll be putting out yet another errata edition just to dot a few I's and cross a few T's. The work that goes into that is considerable and, frankly, at this point, we need to be looking forward to new projects, not constantly perfecting past ones. Alzirus has sent me your errata list, though, and I'll be looking it over soon. I do appreciate your efforts in this matter.

Trace Coburn wrote:
And while we're waiting for The Book of Divine Love: what is the team's position regarding fan-created original goddesses (or fan-conversions of goddesses from other published worlds) for use as sponsoring deities for Sister of Rapture? Say someone's working up, say, one or more of the Forgotten Realms' goddesses as members of the SoR movement, including unique Love's Blessings. Would T.Catt and the team be okay with a fan-work like that being posted into a thread like this, or would you prefer that fans not do things like that within your sight for legal reasons?

I'm fine with it in principal, however, you might be interested to know that we have plans to include such as you're describing in the Book of Divine Love. While we can't, of course, use copyrighted names, our plan is to include "original" fantasy goddesses that will be similar enough to goddesses like Sune and Shelyn so that they may easily stand in for those characters. We'll also be including a few wholly original characters. We don't like creating in a vacuum and, as such, we've always invited fans to help us with our development process. Several of the feats, spells and magic items in the initial OGL version of Sisters of Rapture were created by, or at least suggested by, fans. So while you may post original SoR stuff here, even fan-made stuff for existing settings, please be aware that it's likely that our official material will eventually override it and you'll lose the chance to have it appear in the actual book, as we won't consider anything that's already been released to the public. If you send it to us privately (or, more specifically, to T.Catt at tcatt@comcast.net), we'll look it over and see if it's something we might want to eventually use. If we do, you get a free PDF copy of the book and a special thanks credit.

Misery wrote:
Is this book and the classes/prestige classes/feats inside strictly for women characters?

The base class and prestige classes are as that was, as explained, the point. Most of the feats supplement the class, so they'd be limited as well. Other aspects aren't so restricted. For instance, the Carnal domain is available to the Rapturous, but also to clerics of love, lust, feminine power or other conceptually related deities (as you GM allows). The spells are appropriate for clerics of both Sheylyn and Calistria (even though Calistrian philosophy is incompatible with that 0f the Sisters of Rapture). 'm currently playing a Calistrian cleric in a Pathfinder campaign and was able to take a feat from Sisters of Rapture, so there is material there that's useful to non-Rapturous... Just not a lot.

That said, we have looked into the concept of how the Rapturous deal with their menfolk and how to include them in the fun as well. We've had some idea submissions from a fan on the subject matter and will likely be addressing that issue in a future supplement... Although it's not appropriate for any of our current projects, so we're not sure where it will go at this point. But, even when that does happen, the Sisters of Rapture will remain an all-female organization and the SoR class will remain limited to female PCs.

Shalastar Lerin wrote:
Are there any neutral evil erotic monsters? My Sorcerer of Lust will eventually take the leadership feat and he's looking for an interesting cohort. :P

Alzirus did a good job answering this one, but I'll go ahead and add that T.Catt and Co. are currently working on a book called Sisters of Rapture: Beauties & Beasts which will essentially be an erotic monster manual. While I'm not 100% certain of the alignment of every monster currently in development, it's possible that something more suited might eventually be found there. We're hoping to have that book ready later this year (2013).


Talon Dunning wrote:
Trace Coburn wrote:
Yes, most of the artwork shows rather more naughty bits than is usually found in gaming products, but to my eye, every single piece is entirely purposeful and relevant to/illustrative of the text.
Indeed it is, especially since, according to T.Catt, the entire point of the book is to explain the presence of the traditional semi-nude and "chain-mail bikini babes" in fantasy illustration. While many people simply complain about how unrealistic such characters are, T.Catt wrote this book as a way of explaining why and how they might exist in the first place. As such, NOT having such illustrations in the book would have undermined the very point.

[wince] I knew that from the outset (indeed, I checked out the samples a couple of years ago), and it’s a good part of why I finally bought the whole thing. ;) That remark was meant as a compliment for the artwork’s being well-handled, tasteful, and very pleasant to the eye, and since it clearly wound up more backhanded than I intended, I apologise unreservedly.

(That said, it was also meant as something of an eye-roll at the ‘moral guardians’ who would hear the term ‘gaming supplement’ and assume it’s aimed at kids, regardless of the clear content warning on the cover, then look at the picture of an attractive blonde woman on p.9 and kick up more of a stink about her being topless than about her dismembering someone with an axe.)

Talon Dunning wrote:
At this point, we've edited and re-edited both versions of the book several times, correcting not only minor grammatical errors, but problems with the system as well. To be honest, while we certainly appreciate your vigilance in this regard, chances are that, unless there's a further problem with the game rules themselves, it's doubtful that we'll be putting out yet another errata edition just to dot a few I's and cross a few T's. The work that goes into that is considerable and, frankly, at this point, we need to be looking forward to new projects, not constantly perfecting past ones. Alzirus has sent me your errata list, though, and I'll be looking it over soon. I do appreciate your efforts in this matter.

Fair enough. I’ve had enough of a ‘peek behind the curtain’ at another gaming company that I understand that releasing new content has to take top priority, so I always figured that minor bug-fixes would be a matter of ‘when/if we get the chance’, but even so I had to do something to shut up that nagging voice in the back of my head. Now that I’ve made my gesture towards quality-assurance, I can go back to enjoying the product in its own right. :)

Talon Dunning wrote:
Trace Coburn wrote:
And while we're waiting for The Book of Divine Love: what is the team's position regarding fan-created original goddesses (or fan-conversions of goddesses from other published worlds) for use as sponsoring deities for Sister of Rapture?
I'm fine with it in principle, however, you might be interested to know that we have plans to include such as you're describing in the Book of Divine Love. While we can't, of course, use copyrighted names, our plan is to include "original" fantasy goddesses that will be similar enough to goddesses like Sune and Shelyn so that they may easily stand in for those characters. We'll also be including a few wholly original characters. We don't like creating in a vacuum and, as such, we've always invited fans to help us with our development process. Several of the feats, spells and magic items in the initial OGL version of Sisters of Rapture were created by, or at least suggested by, fans. So while you may post original SoR stuff here, even fan-made stuff for existing settings, please be aware that it's likely that our official material will eventually override it and you'll lose the chance to have it appear in the actual book, as we won't consider anything that's already been released to the public. If you send it to us privately (or, more specifically, to T.Catt at tcatt@comcast.net), we'll look it over and see if it's something we might want to eventually use. If we do, you get a free PDF copy of the book and a special thanks credit.

... I may well take you up on that offer.


Pathfinder Companion, Roleplaying Game Subscriber
Trace Coburn wrote:
[wince]...and since it clearly wound up more backhanded than I intended, I apologise unreservedly.

No worries. The book's intent is simply something that we all want to make sure people are aware of. While there's certainly a certain level of prurience to the material, its existence as an homage to a specific fantasy illustration troupe should be first and foremost in people's minds when they read it.

Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Gaming / D&D 3.5/d20/OGL / [Fantastic Gallery] Sisters of Rapture (PFRPG Edition) All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.
Recent threads in D&D 3.5/d20/OGL

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.