Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
About Paizo Messageboards News Paizo Blog Help/FAQ
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

Are magic fragile weapons still fragile?


Rules Questions

Cheliax

By that, I mean do they still have the fragile property, even if they don't break on a 1?

The Breaker Barbarian archetype gets increased damage when using a weapon that's broken, and takes none of the usual penalties. There's also multiple feats in UC that let you break a weapon on your enemy to confirm a critical, get them to start bleeding, etc.

Does this all synergize once a Barbarian Breaker has a +1 Half-broken Glued-together Shards of Glass Sword?


Depends on the weapon.

If the weapon specifically calls out that it's fragile after being masterwork on magical, then it's still fragile.

If it's made of a special material that grants the fragile quality, it retains that quality even if masterwork or magical.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Maps, Roleplaying Game Subscriber

It was my understanding that, if made masterwork, fragile weapons were no longer fragile.

Cheliax

Ravingdork wrote:
It was my understanding that, if made masterwork, fragile weapons were no longer fragile.

It just seems like a waste to have two feats that only work on completely non-remarkable weapons. These feats and one of those bone/bronze weapons seems like what the Breaker was MADE for.


Weapons can break without being fragile. Even magic ones. They automatically gain the broken condition when they take damage equal to half their hit points, or when subject to a special effect that breaks them (like a rust monster or warp wood... or the new feats). Fragile weapons and firearms just have special rules which make them gain the broken condition easier than normal weapons.

Cheliax

Bobson wrote:
Weapons can break without being fragile. Even magic ones. They automatically gain the broken condition when they take damage equal to half their hit points, or when subject to a special effect that breaks them (like a rust monster or warp wood... or the new feats). Fragile weapons and firearms just have special rules which make them gain the broken condition easier than normal weapons.

Unfortunately, both of these feats (Splintering Weapon, Disposable Weapon) require that the weapon have the fragile property. I would hope, personally, that even though a magic bone axe, or magic obsidian sword does not break as easily, that it still has that initial fragile property that would then make these feats usable.

Shadow Lodge

1 person marked this as a favorite.

Of course the weapons are still Italian.

Shadow Lodge

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Roleplaying Game Subscriber
BigNorseWolf wrote:
Of course the weapons are still Italian.

Must be


I thought I recall hearing about normally fragile magic items being somehow able to lose their fragile trait due to some sort of magic addition?

oh right, it must have been from reading the description of Viridium:\

Quote:
Viridium weapons have half the hardness of their base weapon and have the fragile quality. Viridium can be magically strengthened at an additional cost of +1,000 gp for a weapon or +20 gp for ammunition. This removes the fragile quality from the item but does not otherwise affect its abilities.

It only applies to Viridium RAW, but you could probably house-rule it for any fragile item (I don't really see many circumstances where someone would want to un-fragile a fragile weapon*; weight is an issue, but it's a minor one.

Aparently also:

Quote:
Masterwork bone weapons[/armor] also have the fragile quality, but magic bone weapons[/armor] do not

*I guess crystalline (and viridium) are the two cases it might be desired. Adding only 1000g to make [true] crystalline non-fragile might be too cheap. (true crystalline weapons cost ~1000-3000+ gold)

Lantern Lodge

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Joesi wrote:

I thought I recall hearing about normally fragile magic items being somehow able to lose their fragile trait due to some sort of magic addition?

oh right, it must have been from reading the description of Viridium:\

Quote:
Viridium weapons have half the hardness of their base weapon and have the fragile quality. Viridium can be magically strengthened at an additional cost of +1,000 gp for a weapon or +20 gp for ammunition. This removes the fragile quality from the item but does not otherwise affect its abilities.

It only applies to Viridium RAW, but you could probably house-rule it for any fragile item (I don't really see many circumstances where someone would want to un-fragile a fragile weapon*; weight is an issue, but it's a minor one.

Aparently also:

Quote:
Masterwork bone weapons[/armor] also have the fragile quality, but magic bone weapons[/armor] do not
*I guess crystalline (and viridium) are the two cases it might be desired. Adding only 1000g to make [true] crystalline non-fragile might be too cheap. (true crystalline weapons cost ~1000-3000+ gold)

Fragile: Fragile weapons and armor cannot take the beating that sturdier weapons can. A fragile weapon gains the broken condition if the wielder rolls a natural 1 on an attack roll with the weapon. If a fragile weapon is already broken, the roll of a natural 1 destroys it instead.

Armor with the fragile quality falls apart when hit with heavy blows. If an attacker hits a creature wearing fragile armor with an attack roll of a natural 20 and confirms the critical hit (even if the creature is immune to critical hits), the armor gains the broken condition. If already broken, the armor is destroyed instead. Fragile armor is not broken or destroyed by critical threats that are not generated by natural 20s, so if a creature wielding a weapon with a 19–20 or 18–20 critical range scores a critical hit on the wearer of this armor with a roll of less than a natural 20, that critical hit has no chance to break or destroy the armor.

Masterwork and magical fragile weapons and armor lack these flaws unless otherwise noted in the item description or the special material description.

that is the the description of the fragile weapon quality as per UC.

What you read about the viridium is an exception to the rule, it says that masterwork is not enough to remove it's fragility, though the 1000 is not enough to make it a magical item. I'd just suggest you wait and spend the 2k to make it a +1

Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Publishing / Pathfinder® / Pathfinder RPG / Rules Questions / Are magic fragile weapons still fragile? All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.