Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
About Paizo Messageboards News Paizo Blog Help/FAQ
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

PaizoCon 2014!

State of the line?


Planet Stories®

Osirion

Pathfinder Adventure Path Charter Subscriber; Planet Stories Subscriber

Can we get some info on Planet Stories at this time? I see we have the two additional Silverberg releases on the schedule, but nothing else. The message board has been pretty dead when it comes to new info, and as I am an east coast fan, Gen Con and Paizo Con (no seminars or opportunity to ask about the books for me!)have not happened for me.

In particular, how is the line doing? How do its continuing prospects appear? What books are on the radar as probbable, possible, or even wishful thinking?

I've bought almost every release the line has had, but after the spate of rapid releases last year that made me fall behind, I am approaching my last volume this week.

Thanks.

The 'Ling

Paizo Employee Chief Technical Officer

For the company as a whole, we've only announced releases through November, with two exceptions: the Pathfinder RPG Advanced Race Guide (which we needed to announce early due to playtesting), and the RPG Superstar-winning Pathfinder Module (which is always announced as soon as a winner is chosen).

Osirion

Pathfinder Adventure Path Charter Subscriber; Planet Stories Subscriber
Vic Wertz wrote:
For the company as a whole, we've only announced releases through November, with two exceptions: the Pathfinder RPG Advanced Race Guide (which we needed to announce early due to playtesting), and the RPG Superstar-winning Pathfinder Module (which is always announced as soon as a winner is chosen).

Thanks for the info! If there is any additional info you or Mr. Mona are willing to share, I would of course be an appreciative audience. Planet Stories has introduced me to quite a few great authors I might otherwise have missed. I hope the line continues for a long time to come.


I think the state of the line is looking awesome. Over the last year or so we got the larger book format, and a strong percentage of awesome stories.

Looking forward to the rest of the Silverberg coming up.

Qadira

Pathfinder Adventure Path Charter Subscriber; Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Card Game, Companion, Roleplaying Game Subscriber

Is there any chance that future Planet Stories would also be available in ePub? It would be nice to be able to read them on ereaders as well as in print as subscribers.

Paizo Employee Chief Technical Officer

Mark Gedak 27 wrote:
Is there any chance that future Planet Stories would also be available in ePub? It would be nice to be able to read them on ereaders as well as in print as subscribers.

We only have print rights for most of the books, but creating ePubs and PDFs of the others is on our to-do list.

Osirion

Pathfinder Adventure Path Charter Subscriber; Planet Stories Subscriber
Vic Wertz wrote:
Mark Gedak 27 wrote:
Is there any chance that future Planet Stories would also be available in ePub? It would be nice to be able to read them on ereaders as well as in print as subscribers.
We only have print rights for most of the books, but creating ePubs and PDFs of the others is on our to-do list.

That's good to hear. I'd love to read these on my kindle. Were there any Planet Stories announcements at Gencon? I'm not keen on listening to the podcasts, so I'm looking for some news in print.

Paizo Employee Managing Editor

underling wrote:
Vic Wertz wrote:
Mark Gedak 27 wrote:
Is there any chance that future Planet Stories would also be available in ePub? It would be nice to be able to read them on ereaders as well as in print as subscribers.
We only have print rights for most of the books, but creating ePubs and PDFs of the others is on our to-do list.
That's good to hear. I'd love to read these on my kindle. Were there any Planet Stories announcements at Gencon? I'm not keen on listening to the podcasts, so I'm looking for some news in print.

No Planet Stories announcements quite yet...

Cheliax

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Modules Subscriber; Planet Stories Subscriber
James Sutter wrote:
No Planet Stories announcements quite yet...

Hopefully we'll hear something soon!

It's interesting that Gollancz has recently announced a venture similar to Planet Stories with their SF Gateway initiative, which aims to make out-of-print titles by classic genre authors available as eBooks. Doing a bit of a search on Amazon, it looks like they've managed to secure the ebook rights to about half of Appendix N.

As an aside, has Paizo considered commissioning new sword & sorcery novels in the vein of the classics to build the line? I'm not talking about Pathfinder-specific fiction here - I'm talking about entirely new works.

Paizo Employee Managing Editor

Prime Evil wrote:


As an aside, has Paizo considered commissioning new sword & sorcery novels in the vein of the classics to build the line? I'm not talking about Pathfinder-specific fiction here - I'm talking about entirely new works.

We have indeed! Sojan the Swordsman/Under the Warrior Star was our attempt to do some new material. Whether we do so again really hinges on how well things sell. New fiction is a LOT more expensive than reprints...

Cheliax

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Modules Subscriber; Planet Stories Subscriber
James Sutter wrote:
We have indeed! Sojan the Swordsman/Under the Warrior Star was our attempt to do some new material. Whether we do so again really hinges on how well things sell. New fiction is a LOT more expensive than reprints...

I quite liked Under the Warrior Star. It's not the best work that Joe Lansdale has ever produced - I still think that The Bottoms is his best work - but it was still an enjoyable riff on traditional Sword & Planet themes.

Unfortunately there aren't many outlets for original fiction in that style any more - with the obvious exception of Black Gate magazine. Perhaps Paizo could do some web fiction under the Planet Stories imprint someday (although I don't know whether that would be financially viable).

Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Publishing / Planet Stories® / State of the line? All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.
Recent threads in Planet Stories®

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.