Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
About Paizo Messageboards News Paizo Blog Help/FAQ
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

This is the discussion thread for two campaigns:

Navior's We Be Goblins / Jade Regent OOC


Play-by-Post Discussion

301 to 350 of 1,573 << first < prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | next > last >>

AC 11/11/11; Max HP 20; Current HP 12 Effects:

Sorry, I missed that Diplomacy is a class skill for oracles. I'll fix that.

I already put the stuff that's on his pony in italics. All that he carries is his clothes, weapons, and his mirror. He also carries one of the paint brushes from his artist's kit as an unnecessary focus for his spell casting, but I figure that weight is negligible, even for him.

And I won't mention the comment underneath his inventory that states that the italicized items are stored on his pony... :)


Male Humanly Awesome 'n Totally Rockin' Paladin of Greatness

Cool. That's even better.


Gilfroy Fezziwig wrote:
And I won't mention the comment underneath his inventory that states that the italicized items are stored on his pony... :)

Heh...um...

Sneakily highlights and deletes that text from the document file I have pasted all the characters into.

Clearly you just added that because I copied all the characters into a single document file for easy reference, and it's not there. Nice try.

;)


Sorry everyone's waiting on me. I've just been procrastinating because I hate making characters. (Enjoy playing them, just hate making all the little decisions.) I'll try to get her done today but will be ready by Monday for sure!


Male Human Traveler / 8

Well those are easy little mistakes to correct. I think I subconsciously left Master of Many Styles in there with the passive-aggressive hope that you'd say, "Don't worry about it! You'll never get to 20th level anyway!" ;)

The con error happened because I prefer my own format to the one HeroLab makes (even though the HeroLab one is SO much less work) and I tend to copy the stats from one pbp character to another and update all the changes. Sometimes I miss one. Oops.

Anyway, corrections made.


Male Human Traveler / 8
Joana wrote:
I've just been procrastinating because I hate making characters. (Enjoy playing them, just hate making all the little decisions.)

The thing I really hate is choosing equipment. Choosing feats and things like that is fun but the equipment choice always bores me to tears, particularly when I'm watching how much weight my character is carrying. Having no money made the monk a lot more fun to put together.


Wander Weir wrote:
Joana wrote:
I've just been procrastinating because I hate making characters. (Enjoy playing them, just hate making all the little decisions.)
The thing I really hate is choosing equipment. Choosing feats and things like that is fun but the equipment choice always bores me to tears, particularly when I'm watching how much weight my character is carrying. Having no money made the monk a lot more fun to put together.

Yeah, equipping is the worst. Especially in HeroLab, where they put every little fiddly bit of equipment in every book ever and you have to scroll through that whole darn list. I wish they'd have a toggle where you could make it turn off everything that you can't afford; that would make first-level characters easy, at least.

Plus, I'm always afraid I'm going to forget to buy something I'll really wish I had later. Like rope. ;) I like adventures that stay in a city or town because then at least I'll have a chance to run back to the store if I need to.


Joana wrote:
Plus, I'm always afraid I'm going to forget to buy something I'll really wish I had later. Like rope. ;) I like adventures that stay in a city or town because then at least I'll have a chance to run back to the store if I need to.

Poor Douena, stranded on an island far from civilization. :)


Male Human Traveler / 8
Navior wrote:


They see Chiggo and look surprised. The chief whispers something to Slorb, who then says, "We thought you dead. Chief very impressed that you come back to life. Clearly Reta tell true story and Pussl was liar."

Damn it! Once again I should have bloody killed him.

On the other hand, now he gets to marry the chief's daughter (unless they kill him) which is an appropriate fate for Chiggo.


Quote:

Melon Sash

Masters of may styles still get Stunning Fist, as that’s a separate ability from the bonus feats that the archetypes bonus feats replace.
A minor point about the background: Ameiko has lived in Sandpoint her entire life (well, except when she was off adventuring and a brief period when she ran away to Magnimar at age 13). Her father was one of the founders of the town before she was born. However, your background is easily changed to reflect this. Melon can still be one of the few people to befriend Ameiko since Ameiko’s father heavily limited the number of friends she was allowed to have.
The rest is good!

Ah, I tend to ignore writing out "obvious" abilities for my monks (I just play them that often). The forum version has been updated, I'll create all her details on the google site next.


Updated on the google site. Including Relationships (you may want to double-check that).


Darn it! I just missed being able to post Chiggo retorting to Fat Slorb that Reta would definitely not be marrying the chief's daughter because the chief's daughter had no squishy bits! Reta beat me to it, though. Oh well.

Edit: Ooh wait, thought of something funnier...


Male Human Traveler / 8

I love Chiggo's response, Nazard. Cracked me up.


I should mention that I started GMing Jade Regent for a live playgroup today.

Navior:

I assume there is no trouble with that, I tend to keep player/character knowledge well compartmentalized.

A nice experiment that I did today turned out really well. I liked the "performance combat" section in Ultimate Combat a lot, and adopted it today:

Sandru Vhiski had a vocal run-in with his brother and several other Sczarni, the PCs and several townsfolk all gathered in the course of the heated debate. Ultimately things became quite inflamed and a type of performance combat broke out where the 4 PCs and 4 Sczarni could have a go at each other to win over the overall crowd. Neither side could risk actually injuring anybody in town without severe repercussions, so both sides got to try feints, heating-up-the-audience, maneuvers and-so-forth to try and trigger performance checks and then try to succeed at those to sway the onlookers (the remaining townsfolk and Sczarni).


Male Human Traveler / 8

Hurrah! I actually finished an adventure in pbp! That's a first for me. Of course, it was awfully short and sweet.

And we all lived! That's the more incredible thing given the way things were going. Nice little prelude to Jade Regent. Now I'm really curious to see how some of those mysteries might be solved.


Male Humanly Awesome 'n Totally Rockin' Paladin of Greatness

It's actually my second. The other one was also a one shot. Master of The Fallen Fortress.

Had a blast! Was a little worried there we all might kill each other, but hey, we made it through.

All I've got now is these psychiatric bills I need to pay and find a way to poke out my mind's eye and I'll be good!

Good times.


Female Human (Chelaxian) Wizard (conjuration) 2

Stats done; backstory tomorrow.


LoreKeeper wrote:

I should mention that I started GMing Jade Regent for a live playgroup today.

** spoiler omitted **

It's not a problem, but I thank you for informing me!


Javell DeLeon wrote:

It's actually my second. The other one was also a one shot. Master of The Fallen Fortress.

Had a blast! Was a little worried there we all might kill each other, but hey, we made it through.

All I've got now is these psychiatric bills I need to pay and find a way to poke out my mind's eye and I'll be good!

Good times.

As a player, I have yet to finish an adventure in pbp. I hope one day, that will eventually change. As a pbp DM, my Age of Worms group finished the first adventure, but fell apart early in the second. It's nice to see this adventure finish. And then there's my Serpent's Skull game, almost one year going and still not through the first adventure! It's a very long adventure though and we're getting very close to completing it. :)


Corinna Valdemar wrote:
Stats done; backstory tomorrow.

Looks great so far, although you call her Coriander at one spot. :)


I vote to keep the name "Coriander". Goes will with Melon. Though not as good as Parma. How do you feel about "Parma" Joana? :D


Navior wrote:
Corinna Valdemar wrote:
Stats done; backstory tomorrow.
Looks great so far, although you call her Coriander at one spot. :)

Changed her name after exporting from Hero Lab. I like Coriander (and yes, I noted the edible tie-in with Melon) but it sounded more like a halfling name to me. I was trying to differentiate a bit more from my other character Corinne, but Corinna will do. :)


Female Human (Chelaxian) Wizard (conjuration) 2

All right, she's done and ready for review.


Corinna Valdemar wrote:
All right, she's done and ready for review.

Looks great!

We're all ready to go. First post will be up sometime tomorrow!


I've updated everyone's relationships on the website with the initial four main NPCs. I've assumed for now that everyone will be pursuing friendly relationships with all four. However, if anyone wants a competitive relationship with any of them, just update the site appropriately and let me know. :)

Two of you start with a high enough relationship score to have achieved friendship with your associated NPC: Blue Rajah and Gilfroy, both with Koya Mvashti. Intriguingly, the one PC who took the Best Friends trait (Melon) does not get to start out at the friendship level with the associated NPC. I suppose Melon and Ameiko have grown apart a little in recent years since Melon has been away.

At any rate, the Blue Rajah and Gilfroy each start with a bonus 400 xp. It's been a while since I've run a game where all the characters track individual xp. These days, I generally give everyone one lump value. However, years ago, I used to do the individual awards thing. It could be interesting to try that again now.


Male Human Traveler / 8

Looking forward to it! I haven't played a Monk since 3.0 so it'll be interesting to see how long Aago survives.


Wander Weir wrote:
Looking forward to it! I haven't played a Monk since 3.0 so it'll be interesting to see how long Aago survives.

Not long. I'm planning a TPK for the first encounter. ;)


Navior wrote:
Wander Weir wrote:
Looking forward to it! I haven't played a Monk since 3.0 so it'll be interesting to see how long Aago survives.
Not long. I'm planning a TPK for the first encounter. ;)

Then he can say he's finished TWO adventures he's run by PbP. ;)


Joana wrote:
Navior wrote:
Wander Weir wrote:
Looking forward to it! I haven't played a Monk since 3.0 so it'll be interesting to see how long Aago survives.
Not long. I'm planning a TPK for the first encounter. ;)
Then he can say he's finished TWO adventures he's run by PbP. ;)

You read my mind! :)

Grand Lodge

Navior wrote:
Wander Weir wrote:
Looking forward to it! I haven't played a Monk since 3.0 so it'll be interesting to see how long Aago survives.
Not long. I'm planning a TPK for the first encounter. ;)

Why did Chuffy just get a cold chill down his spine?


You each to get to start with knowledge of one type of gift that can be used to influence the NPC associated with your campaign trait (or one kind of insult if you're pursuing a competitive relationship with that NPC, but I'm assuming friendly relationships for the moment).

Aago:
You know that Shalelu is an accomplished archer and thus it makes sense that archery related gifts would go over well with her.

Blue Rajah:
You know that Koya is enamoured of bright coloured cloths and silks.

Corinna:
It's said that Sandru is very fond of fine art and jewellery, particularly those in Varisian traditions.

Gilfroy:
Koya loves detailed maps, particularly old ones. The older, the better.

Malan:
As someone used to living off the wild, Shalelu particularly appreciates good survival gear.

Melon:
Exotic and beautiful works of art are amongst Ameiko's most treasured things.


Male Human Traveler / 8

Very handy!


And so it begins...


Now that the in-game thread is up, I am belatedly reminded of something I totally forgot to ask about at a time that would have been considerably more appropriate: since some of us are natives of Sandpoint, shouldn't we know of each other?

Aago's about 25 and has probably been away from town for the last six or seven years. There's no reason he wouldn't know Corinna or Melon already, is there?

Edit: By the way, I ended up having to change Aago's last name a little. I dropped a g and added a w so that it's Belwas instead of Belgas. Mainly because I kept having to correct myself.


Aago Belwas wrote:

Now that the in-game thread is up, I am belatedly reminded of something I totally forgot to ask about at a time that would have been considerably more appropriate: since some of us are natives of Sandpoint, shouldn't we know of each other?

Aago's about 25 and has probably been away from town for the last six or seven years. There's no reason he wouldn't know Corinna or Melon already, is there?

Absolutely. It's highly likely many of you know each other already, even if only in passing. I encourage you to go with it!


Corinne is 27 and has been out of town for the most part for 11 years. Even before then, she wouldn't have been in school with the others, as she was educated by a family governess. She'd probably know about the family of Shoanti giants by sight and reputation, however.

As for Melon, I'm not sure of her age. Ameiko (and therefore, I presume Melon) has to be somewhat older than Corinne, if she was already retiring from adventuring and opening the Rusty Dragon when Corinne was eleven years ago. I'm thinking Melon wasn't the type of girl her family would have approved of Corinne knowing anyway, though.


Melon and Ameiko are both 25. Busy life :)

Grand Lodge

Malan is not from Sandpoint. He may have been to Sandpoint a time or two, but most probably isn't very familiar with anyone.


LoreKeeper wrote:
Melon and Ameiko are both 25. Busy life :)

Ameiko went adventuring at 13 and came back and bought the Rusty Dragon at 14??? That is precocious. You can't even start adventuring by random roll before 16 years old. :P


Hmmm... I didn't think to cross-check everyone's ages.

The Rusty Dragon existed before Ameiko bought it, so Corinna could have spent time there without Ameiko running it yet. According to the module, Ameiko was born in 4689, so that makes her either 21 or 22 (depending how late in the year she was born). She was already running the Rusty Dragon four years ago, which means at age 17 or 18 she was already retired from adventuring. That doesn't quite work, even assuming a very young start to adventuring. I'm inclined to bump her age up a bit. I'm not sure where Lorekeeper got 25 from, but it would work better. Her adventuring career was short, so if she started adventuring around 17 or 18, made a small fortune, and returned to Sandpoint around age 20, that would work.

Sandru is somewhat older than Ameiko. The book doesn't give an exact age or birthdate, but it does say he's approaching middle age, so early 30's makes sense. He spent much of his youth in Sandpoint (he was raised from the age of 7 by Koya) so Corinne could have still first seen him eleven years ago. He worked as a caravan guard in those days and could have been back in town at that time. The only thing that would change in Corinne's history would be the mention of him visiting Ameiko, whom he hadn't teamed up with yet at that time.


Navior wrote:


The Rusty Dragon existed before Ameiko bought it, so Corinna could have spent time there without Ameiko running it yet. According to the module, Ameiko was born in 4689, so that makes her either 21 or 22 (depending how late in the year she was born). She was already running the Rusty Dragon four years ago, which means at age 17 or 18 she was already retired from adventuring. That doesn't quite work, even assuming a very young start to adventuring. I'm inclined to bump her age up a bit. I'm not sure where Lorekeeper got 25 from, but it would work better. Her adventuring career was short, so if she started adventuring around 17 or 18, made a small fortune, and returned to Sandpoint around age 20, that would work.

RotRL says Ameiko has already owned the Rusty Dragon for 6 years when that AP starts, which means she bought it a year before the Late Unpleasantness; another 4 years since those events means she's owned it 10 years, and she returned from a mysterious but successful adventuring career before that, which is what provided the money for her to buy the inn in the first place.

I think someone's lying about her age. :P


Joana wrote:

RotRL says Ameiko has already owned the Rusty Dragon for 6 years when that AP starts, which means she bought it a year before the Late Unpleasantness; another 4 years since those events means she's owned it 10 years, and she returned from a mysterious but successful adventuring career before that, which is what provided the money for her to buy the inn in the first place.

I think someone's lying about her age. :P

Hah! It certainly looks that way.

I didn't bother looking back to Rise of the Runelords for what it had to say on her. So let's see...

If she's owned the Rusty Dragon for 10 years, then she must be getting close to 30 years of age. Sandru's supposed to be somewhat older than she is, enough so that he never pursued a romantic relationship with her. If I bump his age up to 34 (as high as I can without bumping him to middle age) and say Ameiko is about 7 years younger than he is, that would make her 27. Buying the Rusty Dragon at 17 still seems unlikely, so let's say RUnelords was wrong about her owning the inn for 6 years already and drop it down to just 3 or 4 years at the time. That way starts to work out better. :)


Brinewall Legacy does state that Ameiko began her adventuring career at 16. It seems to suggest that she took over the Rusty Dragon just before the start of Rise of the Runelords, which I think is pretty silly. I'm just going to subtract 6 from all the dates given in her history. That would mean she was born in 4683 and is currently 28.


James Jacobs has verified that they have retconned Ameiko's history to make her 22 and have just bought the Rusty Dragon the same year as the beginning of Rise of the Runelords.

For canon for this game, will you be sticking with your "subtract 6" decision or going with his new timeline? I just want to know which background we're going with for the purpose of my own PC's backstory.


Yeah, I saw that post, and I've been mulling it over. She doesn't play a particularly large role in Rise of the Runelords, so altering her age there doesn't affect things. In my own Rise of the Runelords game (which I've made canon for this game), I don't think her age has ever been mentioned, so short of turning her into an old woman, I won't be contradicting anything there. Still, I never envisioned her as under 20 during Runelords.

James says in that thread that events in her family history need to be relatively recent in order for Jade Regent's events to play out. However, based on the information available in Brinewall Legacy, I can't see how 6 years in either direction would really make much of a difference. Admittedly, there are five more volumes to come which might make a difference.

I still feel that 22 is too young (or more precisely that 18 in Runelords is too young), but that's mainly because I've formed a mental image of her as slightly older. Perhaps I should cut the difference and go with age 25 (subtracting 3 years from the dates in her history). That would make Lorekeeper happy. :)

I'm going to think on it a little bit more, so if anyone else has an opinion, feel free to voice it. I'll make a final decision soon. Is there an age you would prefer, Joana?


Male Human Traveler / 8

Well I don't know about anyone else's rpg experience but in virtually every campaign I played in prior to Pathfinder, characters went from level 1 to level 20 in about a year of game time, sometimes two. Starting in the mid teens to early 20's isn't unusual either (probably because that's when so many people start to really get into gaming).

So I wouldn't be at all surprised if Ameiko started adventuring at 16 and came back quite wealthy after a couple of years. Hell, in most medieval settings, 15 and 16 are ages of majority and people tend to be old by their 30's anyway. Given that one magic weapon can bring in 2,000 gp alone in sales and a place like Sandpoint has a GP limit (as of RotR) of 800 gp, it doesn't seem like it'd take much adventuring to become really wealthy in the eyes of the common folk.

Despite all that, I'm cool with whatever Navior decides, but it would be handy to get a timeline worked out.


Meh, I'm mostly offended on principle, as a woman who has passed what Pathfinder/D&D considers "middle age." :P Honestly, it works out better if Corinna is one of the oldest members of the party (excluding Sandru and Koya and the non-humans, of course); she's set up to be a late bloomer. And it would remove any reason for her to have hard feelings toward Ameiko if she suspected any former romantic entanglement with Sandru. So, if you want to go with young Elvis ... er, Ameiko, that would be fine; I'll just adjust her backstory to fit.


Male Human Traveler / 8
Joana wrote:
Meh, I'm mostly offended on principle, as a woman who has passed what Pathfinder/D&D considers "middle age." :P

You're not alone there! Of course, when I turned 35 my mom commented on how I was at that point "Over the Hill."

So it's been 4 years since the events of RotR and 9 years since the Chopper and the fire? Is that right? I purposely made Aago younger than Corinna because I knew about her desire to be a late bloomer, though these days I can hardly remember what it's like to be in one's 20s.


Wander Weir wrote:
Joana wrote:
Meh, I'm mostly offended on principle, as a woman who has passed what Pathfinder/D&D considers "middle age." :P
You're not alone there! Of course, when I turned 35 my mom commented on how I was at that point "Over the Hill."

Did you point out that if you're the kettle, she's the pot? If you're "over the hill," she must have one foot in the grave! ;)

Wander Weir wrote:
So it's been 4 years since the events of RotR and 9 years since the Chopper and the fire? Is that right?

Correct. The retconned changes James Jacobs proposes only compress the pre-RotRL timeline, so either way it's 9 years since the Late Unpleasantness.


Wander Weir wrote:

Well I don't know about anyone else's rpg experience but in virtually every campaign I played in prior to Pathfinder, characters went from level 1 to level 20 in about a year of game time, sometimes two. Starting in the mid teens to early 20's isn't unusual either (probably because that's when so many people start to really get into gaming).

So I wouldn't be at all surprised if Ameiko started adventuring at 16 and came back quite wealthy after a couple of years. Hell, in most medieval settings, 15 and 16 are ages of majority and people tend to be old by their 30's anyway. Given that one magic weapon can bring in 2,000 gp alone in sales and a place like Sandpoint has a GP limit (as of RotR) of 800 gp, it doesn't seem like it'd take much adventuring to become really wealthy in the eyes of the common folk.

Despite all that, I'm cool with whatever Navior decides, but it would be handy to get a timeline worked out.

It's true that people can rise in levels very fast. Thus, someone who starts adventuring at 16 and survives could easily make enough of a fortune to retire by age 20 or earlier. I don't intend to change that part of Ameiko's history. She did go adventuring at 16. The only thing I'm changing is what year that all occurred in by making her born 6 years earlier and moving all events that took place before Rise of the Runelords six years earlier as well. Basically, I'm making the amount of time she's been retired a little longer.

I am going to go with my earlier decision to make her 28. Making her only 22 means she took over the Rusty Dragon after the Late Unpleasantness. Making her 25 means she was off adventuring during the Late Unpleasantness. If she's 28 now, then she was back from adventuring and retired by the time of the Late Unpleasantness, and for various reasons, I feel it's important the she was around for the Late Unpleasantness.

So, 28 it is. :)

301 to 350 of 1,573 << first < prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post Discussion / Navior's We Be Goblins / Jade Regent OOC All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.