Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
About Paizo Messageboards News Paizo Blog Help/FAQ
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

RPG Superstar 2015

How to Solve All Your Problems with One Easy Step


Gamer Talk

51 to 76 of 76 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | next > last >>

Lucy Fury wrote:

Aaargh!

;)

Liberty's Edge

Not really DM situations:
Q: Make my character the best he can be plox! Also, I'd like it if you'd change some rules.

A: It's called a role-playing game. Stop asking for people to help optimise your character in random threads. I know you're a bit new here and don't know the rules, (and there is topic creep,) but THIS IS NOT THE PLACE. Your rule-change suggestions give your first-level character an ability only high-levelled characters get.

Q: The forums are way too long. You should make them shorter and eeasier [harder] to navigate. Split up topics more. Also, I think you should change xyz in PF.

A: FaWTL!!!


Hama wrote:
Oh and put a gun to your head...just in case you continue whining about this not seeing the advice we all are giving you.

Can we tone it down with the "kill yourself" stuff? It was only sort of funny the first three times.

Sovereign Court

I was cranky. I am sorry...I will refrain from suggestions of murder in the future...


1 person marked this as a favorite.

This might seem aimed at a recent post, but it isn't. This comes up all the time...

Q: The bestiary monsters with "... Characters" blocks aren't balanced with the PC races! How are we expected to make PCs with these rules if they aren't balanced with the PC races?

A: Those rules are for non-player characters. If you're making a Player character, put the bestiary down and walk away. You shouldn't be looking in that book unless you're a GM.

Grand Lodge

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Battles Case Subscriber

But EL, how will they know they want to play a non-Core race if they don't read up on them? :)

Shadow Lodge

Hama wrote:

Q: Why can't Paizo bring back this stupid inbalanced thing that i used to win the game with back in the days of 3e? It is awesome and players should make GMs suffer.

A: Shoot them with a gun.

I love how if anyone talks about retro D&D, some people rage about how unbalanced it all was and how it absolutely sucked compared to 3.X/PFRPG. And then some of these very same people rage about how there's a massive imbalance in 3.x/PFRPG between spellcaster and martial characters.


TriOmegaZero wrote:
But EL, how will they know they want to play a non-Core race if they don't read up on them? :)

I admit it I busted out laughing at that.

thanks TOZ & EL!


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Q: How do I remove all magic items from my game without spending any time rebalancing encounters, without any changes into how my world works, while still letting NPCs have all their magic items?

A: I don't think that is possible.


dunelord3001 wrote:

Q: How do I remove all magic items from my game without spending any time rebalancing encounters, without any changes into how my world works, while still letting NPCs have all their magic items?

A: I don't think that is possible.

On a related note...

Q: I want to run a low magic campaign. And by "low magic", I mean that +1 swords are extremely rare, but there are still plenty of wizards, clerics, demons, dragons, vampires, etc. in my campaign world. Any tips?

A: What's that you say? You hovercraft is full of eels? I think you need to invest in a better dictionary.

Sovereign Court

Kthulhu wrote:
Hama wrote:

Q: Why can't Paizo bring back this stupid inbalanced thing that i used to win the game with back in the days of 3e? It is awesome and players should make GMs suffer.

A: Shoot them with a gun.

I love how if anyone talks about retro D&D, some people rage about how unbalanced it all was and how it absolutely sucked compared to 3.X/PFRPG. And then some of these very same people rage about how there's a massive imbalance in 3.x/PFRPG between spellcaster and martial characters.

There were some pretty imbalanced stuff made for later splatbooks for 3.5...especially if one factored in 3pp products...


Hama wrote:
Kthulhu wrote:
Hama wrote:

Q: Why can't Paizo bring back this stupid inbalanced thing that i used to win the game with back in the days of 3e? It is awesome and players should make GMs suffer.

A: Shoot them with a gun.

I love how if anyone talks about retro D&D, some people rage about how unbalanced it all was and how it absolutely sucked compared to 3.X/PFRPG. And then some of these very same people rage about how there's a massive imbalance in 3.x/PFRPG between spellcaster and martial characters.
There were some pretty imbalanced stuff made for later splatbooks for 3.5...especially if one factored in 3pp products...

Ugh, tell me about it. I had a player who treated any 3pp as if it were Core, and never asked first. I was running a game, and he was telling me all about this great half-vampire template he found in a 3pp that had all the strengths of a 3.5e MM vampire lord, could exist comfortably in sunlight, for a +2 level adjustment. He and I had a nice long chat afterward.

Grand Lodge RPG Superstar 2012 Top 32 , Marathon Voter 2013, Dedicated Voter 2014

2 people marked this as a favorite.

Q: I recently started playing in Pathfinder Society. I don't want to be one of those worthless min-maxers, so I made a "Chaotic Neutral" (*wink wink*) character who does his best to get his companions into harm's way, doesn't try to complete his objectives, and generally makes everything difficult for the other players. How can I convince the other players that they're only upset because they don't know how to play interesting characters like I do?

A: You've confused "interesting" with "troublesome", failed to recognize the cooperative nature of organized play (I wonder why you couldn't get into a home game somewhere?), and have chosen to look down on any character that is different from your own. You are the source of your own problems.

Q: But they're all dirty munchkins! Their characters are all the same! One of them even has a 16 in a stat! Doesn't that make me better than them?

A: No.


Q: I'd like to do x, without any consequences how do I do it?/I don't understand why my runner/players expect there to be consequences for my actions?

A: Every action has a equal and opposite reaction.

Q: I'd like to ignore the math behind the game and have it work another way, how do I talk the people I play with into agreeing to change the math?

A: You don't.

Star Voter 2013

Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber

Q. In a game with magic why can't I do <insert stupid idea here>

A. Magic is magical. <Stupid Idea> is not. The game allows for better than humans can do in the real world, but that does not give you liscense to throw everything out and assume everyone else will agree with you. Ask your GM.

Grand Lodge RPG Superstar 2012 Top 32 , Marathon Voter 2013, Dedicated Voter 2014

Q: I notice this [spell/class/piece of equipment] lets me do X at the cost of not being to do Y, this other one lets me do Y at the cost of not being able to do X, and this third one lets me do both X and Y at the cost of not doing either of them quite as well. So what book do I need to buy to get the version that lets me do both X and Y at full power with no drawback? Oh, and I prefer if it will also let me do Z, as that would fit my concept better.

A: Perhaps instead you should tweak your character concept to be something other than "better than everyone else in every way possible".

Shadow Lodge

Jiggy wrote:

Q: I notice this [spell/class/piece of equipment] lets me do X at the cost of not being to do Y, this other one lets me do Y at the cost of not being able to do X, and this third one lets me do both X and Y at the cost of not doing either of them quite as well. So what book do I need to buy to get the version that lets me do both X and Y at full power with no drawback? Oh, and I prefer if it will also let me do Z, as that would fit my concept better.

A: Perhaps instead you should tweak your character concept to be something other than "better than everyone else in every way possible".

Ah, yes, the Holy Gish Grail. If only I could do everything, I wouldn't need to adventure with everyone else... This whole small-group social negotiation is so hard.

Grand Lodge RPG Superstar 2012 Top 32 , Marathon Voter 2013, Dedicated Voter 2014

InVinoVeritas wrote:
Jiggy wrote:

Q: I notice this [spell/class/piece of equipment] lets me do X at the cost of not being to do Y, this other one lets me do Y at the cost of not being able to do X, and this third one lets me do both X and Y at the cost of not doing either of them quite as well. So what book do I need to buy to get the version that lets me do both X and Y at full power with no drawback? Oh, and I prefer if it will also let me do Z, as that would fit my concept better.

A: Perhaps instead you should tweak your character concept to be something other than "better than everyone else in every way possible".

Ah, yes, the Holy Gish Grail. If only I could do everything, I wouldn't need to adventure with everyone else... This whole small-group social negotiation is so hard.

So far I've seen people asking for a class that worked like Eldritch Knight (but non-prestige and with no gaps in spell progression), a shield that leaves your hand open like a buckler but can shield bash like a light/heavy shield, a martial weapon that can deal more damage than any of the martial weapons at no extra cost/drawback, and plenty others that I can't think of at the moment.


Hama wrote:
There were some pretty imbalanced stuff made for later splatbooks for 3.5...especially if one factored in 3pp products...

Even core 3.5 (or PF) are already very imbalanced.

Not that it matters, though, as it's all about fun.


Q: I like to play in a specific way, and it really makes me angry/sad/disappointed in mankind that people talk about other ways they enjoy role playing games on this very forum! How can I force them to stop posting their preferences in my "regular" threads?

A: You can't. Grow up.

Grand Lodge RPG Superstar 2012 Top 32 , Marathon Voter 2013, Dedicated Voter 2014

Q: This ability/feat/whatever says it interacts a certain way with [thing]. Does [other completely unrelated thing] count as [thing]?

A: Why would you even ask that?

Q: This thing over here works with a "regular" something or under "normal" circumstances. Does that mean I can use it with/during this other thing that has its own name and its own section in the rules and works differently than everything else? I mean, that's "normal", right?

A: It is not "normal", and neither are you.

Liberty's Edge

Comment: Iave been playing for 20+ years, and...blah blah blah.

Response: Congratualtions. 3.x/PFRPG hasnt been out for 20+ years, so anything past the release of 3.x/PFRPG doesnt matter for ^%*#.

Q: I like to arbitrarily set DCs based on whether I want my players to make it or not. It doesnt matter who well or how poor they roll, they make it if I want them to, or dont if I dont want them to. My players dont like it, how do I convince them that my way is better?

A: Stop playing this game and go play make-believe outside.

Grand Lodge

Pathfinder Battles Case Subscriber
Jiggy wrote:


So far I've seen people asking for a class that worked like Eldritch Knight (but non-prestige and with no gaps in spell progression), a shield that leaves your hand open like a buckler but can shield bash like a light/heavy shield, a martial weapon that can deal more damage than any of the martial weapons at no extra cost/drawback, and plenty others that I can't think of at the moment.

*eyetwitch*


TriOmegaZero wrote:
Jiggy wrote:


So far I've seen people asking for a class that worked like Eldritch Knight (but non-prestige and with no gaps in spell progression), a shield that leaves your hand open like a buckler but can shield bash like a light/heavy shield, a martial weapon that can deal more damage than any of the martial weapons at no extra cost/drawback, and plenty others that I can't think of at the moment.
*eyetwitch*

Easy ToZ, easy.

*passes ToZ a good stiff drink*


Jiggy wrote:
So far I've seen people asking for a class that worked like Eldritch Knight (but non-prestige and with no gaps in spell progression)

This actually is possible in theory at least, even if execution is so tricky that the chances of one being developed that people can universally agree on is effectively nil. This is more than the other examples have going for them.


2 people marked this as a favorite.

Question:
Is blah blah blah evil?

Answer:
Ask your GM. That's the only opinion which counts in the end here, and anything else is going to get you a firestorm of opinions from other posters who will argue with and contradict one another on the basis of the way that the games they play in run.

Question:
But I am the GM.

Answer:
Make your own mind up then, instead of juggling flamethrowers in an oil refinery. Please.

51 to 76 of 76 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Gamer Life / Gamer Talk / How to Solve All Your Problems with One Easy Step All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.