Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
About Paizo Messageboards News Paizo Blog Help/FAQ
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

PaizoCon 2014!

Polymoph Any Object happy fun time!


Pathfinder RPG General Discussion


1 person marked this as a favorite.

What are the best uses for polymorph any object?

The categories are "fun" and "profit."

Fun is self explanatory

Profit has to be permanent duration and the item it's changed into has to have a significantly greater value.

Ex:
lizard skin --> colossal dragon hide
Rowboat -> war galley


Tiny Coffee Golem wrote:

What are the best uses for polymorph any object?

The categories are "fun" and "profit."

Fun is self explanatory

Profit has to be permanent duration and the item it's changed into has to have a significantly greater value.

Ex:
lizard skin --> colossal dragon hide
Rowboat -> war galley

Rowboat -> war galley = 29,950 gp profit. Half that if you sell as a pc

Crossbow bolt to heavy repeating crossbow
Daggger to falschion
Squirrel to warhorse

RPG Superstar 2008 Top 32

Tiny Coffee Golem wrote:
Rowboat -> war galley = 29,950 gp profit. Half that if you sell as a pc

And goes back into the 'Fun' category if you hit it with a Dispel Magic once the buyer has loaded it up.


Ross Byers wrote:
Tiny Coffee Golem wrote:
Rowboat -> war galley = 29,950 gp profit. Half that if you sell as a pc
And goes back into the 'Fun' category if you hit it with a Dispel Magic once the buyer has loaded it up.

Ohh, good point. Buyer beware.

Although it would be at a high caster level so it wouldn't be easy to dispel, but certainly possible.

So the item would radiate magic...interesting.


Ross Byers wrote:
Tiny Coffee Golem wrote:
Rowboat -> war galley = 29,950 gp profit. Half that if you sell as a pc
And goes back into the 'Fun' category if you hit it with a Dispel Magic once the buyer has loaded it up.

I love it! This is the epitome of How to do War Profiteering (on both sides). ... or the best trick since the Trojan Horse if you're about to be invaded by sea. :)

Andoran

Pathfinder Comics Subscriber; Pathfinder Adventure Path, Roleplaying Game Subscriber

Not using the actual 'Polymorph any object' spell(though you could), but my favorite has always been:

Wall of Stone > Stone to Flesh > Pure profit restaurant.


Pathfinder Maps, Roleplaying Game Subscriber

I posted this in another thread.

Polymorph Any Object -> Pseudodragon Familiar -> Large Pseudodragon Familiar = Large Flying Dragon Mount Familiar.

:)


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Maps, Roleplaying Game Subscriber
Tarlane wrote:

Not using the actual 'Polymorph any object' spell(though you could), but my favorite has always been:

Wall of Stone > Stone to Flesh > Pure profit restaurant.

Cheaper way to do this :

1) Buy Bull.
2) Kill Bull.
3) Cut all the meat off it you can.
4) Cast Restore Corpse (1st level Spell) to get rotting flesh on it.
5) Cut all the rotting meat off it you can.
6) Cast Purify Food and Water on Rotting flesh.
7) Repeat steps 4 through 6
8) PROFIT!

One first level spell and one cantrip. :) Much cheaper than Wall of Stone -> Stone to Flesh. Buy one Bull, one Chicken, one Sheep, and one Pig. You got all the meat of each type you could ever want.

Andoran

Pathfinder Comics Subscriber; Pathfinder Adventure Path, Roleplaying Game Subscriber
mdt wrote:
Tarlane wrote:

Not using the actual 'Polymorph any object' spell(though you could), but my favorite has always been:

Wall of Stone > Stone to Flesh > Pure profit restaurant.

Cheaper way to do this :

1) Buy Bull.
2) Kill Bull.
3) Cut all the meat off it you can.
4) Cast Restore Corpse (1st level Spell) to get rotting flesh on it.
5) Cut all the rotting meat off it you can.
6) Cast Purify Food and Water on Rotting flesh.
7) Repeat steps 4 through 6
8) PROFIT!

One first level spell and one cantrip. :) Much cheaper than Wall of Stone -> Stone to Flesh. Buy one Bull, one Chicken, one Sheep, and one Pig. You got all the meat of each type you could ever want.

I haven't got all the way through Ultimate Magic yet so I hadn't seen restore corpse, that is a brilliant idea mdt!


Pathfinder Maps, Roleplaying Game Subscriber
Tarlane wrote:


I haven't got all the way through Ultimate Magic yet so I hadn't seen restore corpse, that is a brilliant idea mdt!

LOL

Thanks, and the scary thing is a Cleric/Oracle/Witch could do it all by herself. :) Even a first level witch could keep her village fed every day this way. :)


I am playing a size obsessed Goblin Alchemist that got polymorphed into Fine Size. He runs around practically invisible, drinks potions of alter self when he needs to be seen.

Oh, going to rewrite him as a vivisectionist now. I sneak attack from inside your ear!


I had a Sorcerer back in 3.0 that had an accident with a Rod of Wonder, he ended up fine sized (and also blue!) and rode around on his familiar, great on ranged touch attacks.

But back to the polymorph question. Polymorph the corpse of just about anything into the corpse of a Tarrasque (or some powerfull thing that your GM may actually let you get away with, a hydra maybe) and animate the corpse, a corpse of all creatures have the same intelligence score, that is to say: None!


Plastic Surgery, without the plastic.

Polymorph a person in the same person, but with whatever changes they want.

Undue the negative effects of aging. Polymorph someone in a younger version of them-self.

Make a fortune touching up the upper classes.

Qadira

Strange.. the room is black obsidian - scored. Alchemy reveals strange salts on the walls - and the doors have all been lead lined. Hermetic.
You've fought dragons - black all day..

And so your party faces the final encounter....

In the middle of the room... the BEBG buffing.... the air is full of the radiance of magic..

Was it the Clone that cast dispel magic - or the party...

Does it really matter?

All that air - or should I say.. all that acid, polymorphed into air - and then reverted with a simple dispel.

Breathing acid... swimming in acid.

I'm sure some of the magic items will survive...

Fun.. & Profit!


The line:

Wall of Stone -> Stone to Flesh -> Profit

reminds me of my earliest D&D 3.0 (Grayhawk). Frontier, harsh winter, etc. I had to *waste* one of my two fifth level spell picks on Flesh to Stone. Stupid party member. Medusa archers neat, but rogue fort save bad. Ugh.

Then the winter famine inspired my dwarf wizard (yay 3rd ed. D&D! Dwarf Wizard!). Turn 3 foot diameter, 10 foot tall chunk of local stone into flesh. Fabricate it into sausauge (my other 5th level pick.)

Thus was born the recurring joke of my gaming groups: Rock Sausage.

Queue "Rock Lobster" by the B-52s.

GM ruled that no matter what we did the rock sausage was always bland and tasteless. Flavor cantrips just... gave up. Adding spices just made it bland and gritty. Even salt barely changed the taste.

But it was cheap, filling, cheap, nutricious, and cheap. The other-other gray meat (the 1st being pork, the 2nd being brains).

--ZilWerks


Combat applications:

Turn the air around your enemies into poisonous gas.
Turn the floor they are standing on into a pool of acid.
Turn the stone ceiling above them into lava that collapses upon them.


mdt wrote:
Tarlane wrote:

Not using the actual 'Polymorph any object' spell(though you could), but my favorite has always been:

Wall of Stone > Stone to Flesh > Pure profit restaurant.

Cheaper way to do this :

1) Buy Bull.
2) Kill Bull.
3) Cut all the meat off it you can.
4) Cast Restore Corpse (1st level Spell) to get rotting flesh on it.
5) Cut all the rotting meat off it you can.
6) Cast Purify Food and Water on Rotting flesh.
7) Repeat steps 4 through 6
8) PROFIT!

One first level spell and one cantrip. :) Much cheaper than Wall of Stone -> Stone to Flesh. Buy one Bull, one Chicken, one Sheep, and one Pig. You got all the meat of each type you could ever want.

And thus McDonalds was started.

Taldor

A friend once turned our enemy into a privy, and then...well, you can assume the rest...

Edit: Oooh i almost forgot. It was 3.5 days. We were playing an epic campaign, going onto hell to do some stuff (take the mcguffin and bring it to mcguffinland), Anyway, we were "captured", and taken to the archdevil who ruled that layer of hell. It was intentional, as he was in posession of that item in the first place. So they take us there and a fight ensues. We kill almost all his minions in a few rounds, but whatever we do to this guy, he just shrugs it off. So, in a moment of frustration, our wizard casts polymorph any object on him. He rolls a 20 and breaks through his spell resistance, and the archdevil rolls a 1. Poof. He is a bed chamber all of a sudden. And we carried it with us everywhere.


water to beer + dispell magic = no hangover


Hama wrote:

A friend once turned our enemy into a privy, and then...well, you can assume the rest...

Edit: Oooh i almost forgot. It was 3.5 days. We were playing an epic campaign, going onto hell to do some stuff (take the mcguffin and bring it to mcguffinland), Anyway, we were "captured", and taken to the archdevil who ruled that layer of hell. It was intentional, as he was in posession of that item in the first place. So they take us there and a fight ensues. We kill almost all his minions in a few rounds, but whatever we do to this guy, he just shrugs it off. So, in a moment of frustration, our wizard casts polymorph any object on him. He rolls a 20 and breaks through his spell resistance, and the archdevil rolls a 1. Poof. He is a bed chamber all of a sudden. And we carried it with us everywhere.

Did you mean a chamber pot?

Taldor

Yes...thank you for correcting me...


Darigaaz the Igniter wrote:
mdt wrote:
Tarlane wrote:

Not using the actual 'Polymorph any object' spell(though you could), but my favorite has always been:

Wall of Stone > Stone to Flesh > Pure profit restaurant.

Cheaper way to do this :

1) Buy Bull.
2) Kill Bull.
3) Cut all the meat off it you can.
4) Cast Restore Corpse (1st level Spell) to get rotting flesh on it.
5) Cut all the rotting meat off it you can.
6) Cast Purify Food and Water on Rotting flesh.
7) Repeat steps 4 through 6
8) PROFIT!

One first level spell and one cantrip. :) Much cheaper than Wall of Stone -> Stone to Flesh. Buy one Bull, one Chicken, one Sheep, and one Pig. You got all the meat of each type you could ever want.

And thus McDonalds was started.

No, not McDonalds. Jack in the Box on the other hand...


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Eric Hinkle wrote:
Darigaaz the Igniter wrote:
mdt wrote:
Tarlane wrote:

Not using the actual 'Polymorph any object' spell(though you could), but my favorite has always been:

Wall of Stone > Stone to Flesh > Pure profit restaurant.

Cheaper way to do this :

1) Buy Bull.
2) Kill Bull.
3) Cut all the meat off it you can.
4) Cast Restore Corpse (1st level Spell) to get rotting flesh on it.
5) Cut all the rotting meat off it you can.
6) Cast Purify Food and Water on Rotting flesh.
7) Repeat steps 4 through 6
8) PROFIT!

One first level spell and one cantrip. :) Much cheaper than Wall of Stone -> Stone to Flesh. Buy one Bull, one Chicken, one Sheep, and one Pig. You got all the meat of each type you could ever want.

And thus McDonalds was started.
No, not McDonalds. Jack in the Box on the other hand...

McDonalds wouldn't have bothered with step #6.

Contributor

For both "fun" and "profit", operate a skin-trade slave ring and brothel. Work with your talent pool until you can get a legendary courtesan and then inflate her worth via careful advertising. Having a war fought over her isn't a bad idea either. Or research history to find yourself a Helen of Troy type. Cut her hair, either off her living body or off her old corpse. Keep these locks of hair on file until you get some romantic noble or similar well-heeled type who would be willing to pay big bucks for the chance to go to bed with the legendary courtesan.

Pull out your lock of hair and use Polymorph Any Object to turn it into the real woman, permanently. Sell her for profit or just prostitute her.

If the pesky Andoran types try to liberate the slave, let them know that they're fighting for an enchanted lock of hair.

Heck, rob the right cemeteries and you can start a chain of brothels starring all the great beauties of history without ever bothering with necromancy.


@Kevin:

Couldn't you just do that with Simulracrum and not need the hairs?


mdt wrote:

I posted this in another thread.

Polymorph Any Object -> Pseudodragon Familiar -> Large Pseudodragon Familiar = Large Flying Dragon Mount Familiar.

:)

How does this work?


Rogar Stonebow wrote:
mdt wrote:

I posted this in another thread.

Polymorph Any Object -> Pseudodragon Familiar -> Large Pseudodragon Familiar = Large Flying Dragon Mount Familiar.

:)

How does this work?

Pseudo dragon is close enough to a dragon that the effect is permanent. I would act as a constant dragon form 1. Read the spell polymorph any object.


Can polymorph work in stages?

Cheliax

No as you can only have 1 polymorph effect active and all future ones are automatically blocked by the original one unless you choose to cancel the original to take advantage of the newer one (note the choice is given to the target not the caster).

Which leads to amusing things when you have alter self active and someone tries to baleful polymorph you as nothing happens.


I once had a lich who's phylactery was a life-sized wooden carving of a human infant, then he hit it with polymorph any object to make it a real infant, along with permanency. He swapped it with a different human baby (he didn't really think through the fact that the child would age and die, just thinking he was being clever). In any case, what I thought would be an awesome moral conundrum for the party just turned into a dead baby...


Rogar Stonebow wrote:
Can polymorph work in stages?

What Cadery said. Basically it's a permanent effect, not instant.

WHen you turn a rock into a rabbit it's still a rock, not a rabbit. Even though the rabbit is hopping around it's still a rock.

*shrug*

it's magic. just roll with it.

Contributor

Tiny Coffee Golem wrote:

@Kevin:

Couldn't you just do that with Simulracrum and not need the hairs?

Simulacrums aren't as good as the original, still require flesh from the original, and require a pile of expensive ruby dust too. Yes, you get that "perfect loyalty" thing, but it's not worth the drawbacks, the biggest one being someone using magic to see through the illusion.


Kevin Andrew Murphy wrote:
Tiny Coffee Golem wrote:

@Kevin:

Couldn't you just do that with Simulracrum and not need the hairs?

Simulacrums aren't as good as the original, still require flesh from the original, and require a pile of expensive ruby dust too. Yes, you get that "perfect loyalty" thing, but it's not worth the drawbacks, the biggest one being someone using magic to see through the illusion.

You don't need the flesh, not anymore anyway.

Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Publishing / Pathfinder® / Pathfinder RPG / General Discussion / Polymoph Any Object happy fun time! All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.