Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
About Paizo Messageboards News Paizo Blog Help/FAQ
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

DM Darkhoof's Second Darkness IC Thread: Group 2


Play-by-Post

1 to 50 of 58 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | next > last >>

Group 2: FIGHT

Every story has a beginning, and ours is no different. The day was like any other Riddleport day as of late. The sun was just sitting, the Blot hanging over the area like a dark omen from the depths, and the streets were just as rough as always. The city was in a bit of a hubbub due to the reopening of one of its gambling establishments, the Golden Goblin. While that in and of itself was not worth much of note, the fact that Saul Vancaskerkin, a man who for the last few years has been persona non grata in Riddleport for the last few years, is the one who bought the place and is reopening it.

Each of you start your journey here, in the seedy underbelly of the city, on your way to the Goblin. You are going there for a variety of reasons, and each of you has your own goals.

Alexander:

You arrived in Riddleport only a few days ago, and upon arrival saw a flier for the grand opening of the Gold Goblin, and their "Cheat the Devil and Take his Gold" event. You were not sure about going, but then you met a girl named Nichelle, who you became fast friends with. Apparently she was here to investigate this event, and asked that you accompany her to the event. On the way there, Nichelle ran into another friend of hers, a Tengu named Edgar, and the three of you made your way to the gambling hall, where you now wait in line to get registered.

Edgar:

Arriving in Riddleport nearly a week ago, you have spent your time and money on booze, whores, and whatever else has caught your fancy. However, two days ago you caught wind of the gala reopening of a gambling hall called The Golden Goblin. Never one to miss a chance to gamble, you decide to attend the "Cheat the Devil and Take his Gold" event. On your way to the hall you run into your old friend Nichelle, and a new friend of hers who she introduces as Alexander. She tells you that she is investigating the Goblin, and the three of you head to the event as a group. You are currently waiting in the registration line with Alex and Nichelle, and the line is moving very slowly.

Nichelle:

Your employers have given you very direct orders. "Watch the Goblin, and find out what is going on there." You have no idea why they want you to watch the Goblin, but orders are orders and you will do them as asked, for now. While in town, you made friends with a person named Alexander, who apparently is a fighter from out of town. Knowing that having a bit of backup for a mission is a good thing, you asked him to come along. However, on your way to the "Cheat the Devil and Take his Gold" event at the Goblin, you also ran into your old friend Edgar Price. Knowing his love of gambling has gotten him into trouble in the past, you suggest that he joins your little band, and the three of you go off to the event. You find yourself standing in line with your two friends, waiting for registration.

Tragershen:

Upon arrival in Riddelport, you quickly hear about the Blot and the strange events happening in the city. While trying to decide where to begin your investigation you hear about the grand reopening of the Gold Goblin Gambling Hall, and its "Cheat the Devil and Take his Gold" event. You quickly determine that your best bet as to finding out who the major players are in the Riddleport Underworld would be that event, as anyone who is anyone would be there. You quickly head there the night of the event, and find yourself in line waiting for registration.

Iluna:

Arriving in Riddleport, you quickly dive headfirst into the seedy underworld of the city, experiencing life to the fullest as it were. You find beauty in the chaos and danger of the underworld, and while in a seedy tavern one night you hear about the gala reopening of the Golden Goblin, and decide that you might as well try your hand at gambling to make a quick buck and see what all the fuss is about. You find yourself now standing in line, waiting for the registration to move so you can get in and win some cold hard gold!

You guys have a bit to converse wtih each other from now, and when I feel some time has passed we will get you into the tournament! The line is moving a bit slowly, you see, because everyone is gawking at the casino! And before you ask, yes I copied this intro from the other group :P But your spoilered stuff is unique. BE HAPPY


Male Tengu Bard - Dirge Singer

Edgar is dressed very dapper like with a cane in one hand, fairly impatiently waiting in line.

"If my family was to run this, we'd already be through."


Current character act: House? I'll post a character Edgar is portraying here. 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (13) + 8 = 21

Dapper


Alexander, though not really wanting to be here, decides to join the competition with Nichelle and Edgar.

"Anyone knows the rules of this tournement?" Alexander asks the two as he is uncertain and looks around the area. His own weapons are donned, but he feels no need to draw any of his weapons as there is no imminant danger. Bastardsword on the back, handxe on the back too with two maces, heavy and small on his hips as well as wearing a masterworked backpack. His armour however is hide.


F Human(Varisian) Rogue(Poisoner) | F+1, R+5, W+0 | Init +3 | Perc +5

Nichelle smiled at Edgar's comment, looking behind them and in front of them at the line. "Then we would miss out on the lively banter", she teased.

It took a bit of looking once she got here, but she managed to find attire appropriate for the evening, A couple of gold let her find a pair of decently made boots that laced up to her knee, not that the skirt that came to mid-calf would show that. The fabric was decent enough, though the color did not quite match the boots, or the bodice that went over the shirt that laced up the front, but it was an acceptable enough showing, given the locale. Just enough to fit in, not enough to stand out. Her almost knee-length hair was braided, and then coiled and pinned with a pair of metal rods, enough to keep it out of the way.

Alexander's question made her frown for a second, her face scrunching up as she tried to remember what she had heard.

"Ummmmm... I think the entry fee gets us chips, which we have to keep winning with. Eventually, as people lose, they'll be out, and the final few will get to face 'The Devil' and beat him in a game if they can?" Shrugging slightly, Nichelle spread her hands slightly. "That's mostly a guess, though."


Male Tengu Bard - Dirge Singer

Heh, the Devil. Sounds like one of my cousins 'adventures'. Simple scheme really, He gathers a bunch of nobles who want to have a bit of an adventure, sets up all the monsters and encounters the nobles would face. Unlike real adventures, most of what the nobles get in the end is just to taste a bit of a thrill of adventure and losing a considerable amount of weight in their purses.


A tall elf is nearby in line, a look of distaste on his face, scanning around as he placidly waits.

He looks like he's spent a lot of time in the sun; his hair has lightened to nearly blond and his skin is heavily tanned. He smells vaguely of exotic spices from faraway lands. His garb and equipment are in the style of the Quadira region. His possessions are meager and unpretentious. The only weapon he carries is a stout walking stick of acacia wood. He wears practical travelling clothes with light boots and gloves, and a shroud protecting his head. His wide belt is heavy with small pockets and pouches. On a strap across his chest he carries a sack that resembles a waterskin. Even though he looks like he just got off a boat, he is clean and neatly kept.

I hope they get us in soon.


Edgar V. Price wrote:
Heh, the Devil. Sounds like one of my cousins 'adventures'. Simple scheme really, He gathers a bunch of nobles who want to have a bit of an adventure, sets up all the monsters and encounters the nobles would face. Unlike real adventures, most of what the nobles get in the end is just to taste a bit of a thrill of adventure and losing a considerable amount of weight in their purses.

"I hope I don't go face-to-face with this so called devil." he sighs and looks over at the two. "Good luck to you two, I've never been good at gambling."


Female Human Mighty Godling 1

A massive woman, dark hair and eyes, laughs heartily at your conversation. "I, for one, am eager to meet this devil. He ought to have some fine stories. And, if he doesn't, the event itself should have the makings of a tale all on it's own. The woman towers over most of the other people in the line, a great sword strapped to her back and a symbol of Shelyn around her neck.


Male Tengu Bard - Dirge Singer

Glancing around to make sure there isn't any halflings in ear shot..
Edgar whispers to Nichelle in halfling

Halfling:

Well for one thing, this event is sure attracting a number of wierdos.


F Human(Varisian) Rogue(Poisoner) | F+1, R+5, W+0 | Init +3 | Perc +5

Turning, Nichelle looked up to the woman that had spoken, and her eyes went a little wide at the sight of her. Her mouth dropped open a little and she blinked a couple of times before she spoke. "Um, wow. Hello!" Finally, she managed a bright grin after a second. "I'm Nichelle", she said, pronouncing the 'ch' as a 'k'. 'She's got to be part Ulfen', she thought to herself, still in awe of her size.

For comparison, she looked to Alexander and back, wondering what he made of this large woman. For that matter, she looked up and down the line, noticing that many of the people in line, having nothing better to do, were gawking at the woman-- as long as she could not see them. 'She has a sword, but no armor...' Sighing in impatience, she looked up at the sky, wondering about "The Blot" as people had taken to calling it.. Maybe it was visible from here?

Remembering what Edgar had said made the grin stick around longer, and she swatted at his shoulder lightly, in chastisement. "Birds of a feather", came the snarky response, sticking her tongue out at the bird.


Alexander is about 5' 9" with random hight rolled via Herolab. How much taller is Iluna?

Alexander looks up at this giant of a woman also having difficulty grasping this. "I've heard of growth spurts, but this is ridiculous." he then puts out a hand bravely.
"Err...my name's Alexander." he tentively looks at his own hand, afraid that she might crush it with a handshake.


Female Human Mighty Godling 1

She's 6'7". Determined by looking up She-Hulk's height.

"Illuna Tywell. It is fine to meet you and these others." Illuna gesures to the other folks in line. "However, I was looking for some excitement, and standing in line was not it." She glances around again. "I appear to be causing a bit of a ruckus. I guess I have that effect on people. I don't see why, though. I'm tall. He's a bird." She points at Edgar, a large smile and laughing eyes attempting to mitigate the rudeness.


Male Tengu Bard - Dirge Singer

Fuh! I'm not just any "biiirrrd"! I am Edgar V. Price of the noble house of Price! I'm the right Price when it comes to things such as social events and gambling. If anything, there would be a ruckus going on in my absence. If he didn't have a beak, one might be able to see a very obvious change in his facial expression at this point.. Getting closer to Iluna Hooowever, I do have an important question for you... he says, eying up and down Iluna.

Character change: Brook. 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (4) + 8 = 12


Iluna Tywyll wrote:

She's 6'7". Determined by looking up She-Hulk's height.

"Illuna Tywell. It is fine to meet you and these others." Illuna gesures to the other folks in line. "However, I was looking for some excitement, and standing in line was not it." She glances around again. "I appear to be causing a bit of a ruckus. I guess I have that effect on people. I don't see why, though. I'm tall. He's a bird." She points at Edgar, a large smile and laughing eyes attempting to mitigate the rudeness.

Damn that's tall! Must make all men feel...inadequet. Besides, a lot of men like tall women anyway :p

Alexander finds it difficult to hide laughter as she calls Edgar a bird, though smiles lightly as he clears his throat, trying to pass it off as a cough.
"Well...I guess you are quite unique, I mean you have a special look about you." he seems a bit flushed after sticking his fooot in his mouth, but he seems to try and stick it in further with eath new word. "I mean large women must be rare...err...well I'm sure you know that I mean..." he trails off deciding to give up in the end.


Tragershen looks on placidly at the exchange. She towers over even him.

To Iluna, he'll casually mention You must enjoy the benefit of seeing over the crowds in environments like this. See anything interesting from your vantage?


Female Human Mighty Godling 1

Laughing kindly at Alexander's embarrassment, Iluna says "You should've seen my mother's face when she figured out that I wasn't going to stop growing. I towered over her by the time I was thirteen. Probably about that time she figured out I wasn't going to follow in her footsteps. As for what I can see–" Illuna turns to Tragershen, " To be frank, this is not the prettiest collection of humanity, or near humanity that I've ever had to the pleasure to be around." Iluna seems to be getting a bit antsy, waiting for the line to move.


The line moves forward a bit, and you can guess that you are almost within viewing distance of the entryway. The press of people is massive, this is obviously a crazy popular event.


Tragershen nods in agreement with Illuna. I am glad that I'm not the only one that noticed. The odor out here is... prominent. I'm hoping inside will be more pleasant. Tragershen raises the cloth meant to block desert sands to guard his nose and mouth from the surroundings.

Somewhere in this wretched sea of humanity was the answers he sought. It was just a matter of patience to tease them out...


Male Tengu Bard - Dirge Singer

I'll have you know, that I tend to be more human than a human. Just look at them! That one looks like a weasel... No wait.. I think that is a weasel.... playing cards... with an octopus? Bloody Wizards. Anycase, back to my very important question for you wonderful ladies...


Iluna Tywyll wrote:
Laughing kindly at Alexander's embarrassment, Iluna says "You should've seen my mother's face when she figured out that I wasn't going to stop growing. I towered over her by the time I was thirteen. Probably about that time she figured out I wasn't going to follow in her footsteps. As for what I can see–" Illuna turns to Tragershen, " To be frank, this is not the prettiest collection of humanity, or near humanity that I've ever had to the pleasure to be around." Iluna seems to be getting a bit antsy, waiting for the line to move.

Alexander just shrugs at the comment of riddleport.

"Better than anywhere in Molthune or Geb" he doesn't quite know details of these places, but from what he's heard it's better here than those places. "Imagine the stench in Geb with all the undead walking around."


F Human(Varisian) Rogue(Poisoner) | F+1, R+5, W+0 | Init +3 | Perc +5

Nichelle had looked to Edgar, wondering what his question was going to be, because the trailing off was leaving her waiting for the rest of it-- Until Alexander made his observations on the two countries, that she had not really heard of much. A look of surprise was on her face, turning her attention fully to Alexander "There's undead in Geb?", she seemed slightly confused. "What happened to the people? Were the cities overrun?"

Nichelle had heard of the Worldwound, where the demons were trying to hold back the tide of demons that were spilling from their hells, and valiant people were fighting to keep them contained, but there was a country that had an Undead problem?

Reflexively, she shuddered at the thought. Surviving there must be a nightmare.


Nichelle Crassior wrote:

Nichelle had looked to Edgar, wondering what his question was going to be, because the trailing off was leaving her waiting for the rest of it-- Until Alexander made his observations on the two countries, that she had not really heard of much. A look of surprise was on her face, turning her attention fully to Alexander "There's undead in Geb?", she seemed slightly confused. "What happened to the people? Were the cities overrun?"

Nichelle had heard of the Worldwound, where the demons were trying to hold back the tide of demons that were spilling from their hells, and valiant people were fighting to keep them contained, but there was a country that had an Undead problem?

Reflexively, she shuddered at the thought. Surviving there must be a nightmare.

Knowledge History: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (1) + 1 = 2

Alexander scratches his head in a sudden confusion.
"No, no it wasn't that..." he trails off being distracted by the somewhat attractive women around him. "I know it's ruled by undead, smart undead but I can't quite recall anything else at the moment." his cheeks appear to had turned red from embaressment as well as his wondering eyes.

Lol, well that's how I'm translating a 1. It's common knowledge it's ruled by intelligent undead, but of course with that roll he doesn't know the ghost named Geb or any of the infamous history between Geb and Nex, both the men and the regions after their namesake, decided to say he was too distracted by the women.


Female Human Mighty Godling 1

"Sounds like a dark place. . ." Iluna trails off, reflecting for a moment. "You are right Alexander, this place is far better than many in Avistan. Though, I could go for a nice chair right now. Standing here is getting a bit tiresome."


Err....DM?

"Not to mention there are no offensive laws to stop people having a good time." he shrugs as he really finds laws in some cases as a means to a end but lawful cities being really offensive with the laws.


Will post when I get home tonight.


The line finally moves forward enough that you all are able to finally see into the Golden Goblin, and are at the registration desk.

Just inside the main doors, two sultry beauties scantily clad and wearing faux bat wings, devil horns, and tails play the part of
alluring succubi. Both are employees of the Gold Goblin, and they cheerfully register contestants for the tournament and process entry fees. Armed guards stand nearby to either side of an immense treasure chest into which each patron’s entry fee is added. The guards are on hand to not only protect the money, but to prevent any overzealous admirers from trying to dare the infamous touch of a succubus.

Beyond the registration table is the hall’s game floor. Dozens of gamblers, waitresses dressed as succubi, and bouncers mill about the room, wandering amid tables offering various games while dealers shuffle cards, roll dice, and spin wheels. Moving through this throng are a dozen more of the barely clad, batwinged vixens serving drinks and batting coal-black eyelashes flirtatiously for tips. In the center of the chamber is a short podium atop which sits a massive gold chest affixed to the floor by similarly gaudy chains. On either side of it stands a barechested bouncer in the exotic garb of some foreign sultan’s court. Each stands with muscled arms crossed over his chest and with a naked scimitar of prodigious size tucked through his waistband. High above them, from the hall’s cloth-draped ceiling, hangs a brass birdcage within which crouches a small, bat-winged, pointy-tailed devilish creature that sulks as it gazes over the room and occasionally rattles the bars threateningly.

As each of you come up to the registration desk, you are offered a piece of parchment, which reads as follows:

I, _________________ , do hereby sacrifice my immortal soul and the worldly sum of 10 pieces of silver to the Devil to hold in escrow against his own stake of 10,000 silver coins in the gambling tournament being held at the Gold Goblin Gambling Hall of Riddleport on this Oathday, 14th day of Arodus, 4708 ar. I understand that my soul will be placed on deposit in the Hells’ deepest pit of Nessus. Furthermore, I understand that all winnings shall be catalogued in concordance of souls, to be represented by teeth, eyes, and hearts of the damned. By participating in the gambling tournament and beginning in the first pit of Avernus, my winnings shall earn my way deeper through the Hells on the following schedule:

Dis -- 1 gold eye
Erebus -- 3 gold eyes and a Badge of Dis
Phlegethon -- 5 gold eyes and a Badge of Erebus
Stygia -- 10 gold eyes and a Badge of Phlegethon
Malebolge -- 25 gold eyes and a Badge of Stygia
Cocytus -- 50 gold eyes and a Badge of Malbolge
Caina -- 75 gold eyes and a Badge of Cocytus
Nessus -- 100 gold eyes and a Badge of Caina

I understand that if I should lose my stake in the tournament I shall receive the Devil’s Mark and my soul shall be cast upon the rocks on the shore of the River Styx. I understand that if I elect to cash in my winnings before reaching the pit of Nessus I shall forfeit my soul and 50% of the cash value of my winnings for said early departure. If I am the first player to reach Nessus, then I am granted the redemption of my soul and the right to Cheat the Devil and Take his Gold in addition to collecting my winnings. In such a circumstance, all other players shall receive the Devil’s Mark and forfeit their souls.

This is I do swear.
Witnessed by: Old Scratch ____

Couple of checks you all can make if you choose. Also, it costs 1 Gold in total coin to enter the tournament.

Knowledge (Planes) DC 10:

The creature in the cage is a real live Imp!

Knowledge Arcana or Local (DC 15) in regards to the contract:

You realize that this is most assuredly a fake contract

Once each of you has paid your dues, and signed your contract, you enter the Goblin proper. The main hall is a massive room, with more then a dozen gaming tables spread out along the floor available for people to win, wager, and of course lose thier hard earned coin. Right now the tournament has not begun, and much of people already inside are playing cards and other games with no wagering. There are guards who patrol the floor, and several succi walking carrying trays for drinks. There are also roughly 17 dealers, one at each table.

As you all enter it seems that only a few more people are allowed entrance, and then the doors close as night settles, the darkness visable through the windows around the hall.

Once the darkness has fully settled outside, several employees enter the hall, carrying torches shaped like pitchforks carrying burning heads, and they light several large braziers, causing the room to take on a more inferal hue. A hush falls over the crowd as a short man climbs up to the central podium accompained by two of the "succubi". He stands before the large gold chained chest, with a demoness on each side.

The man himself is wearing what appears to be a formal suit, and his black hair is slicked back in an attempt to hide the fact that its thinning. His left arm however is the most unique feature, as it ends in a stump just above the wrist, and is affixed with a broze cap that has a large and odd shaped key on it.

Knowledge Local DC 10:

You recognize the man as Saul Vancaskerkin, the owner of the Goblin and host of this very tournament!

The man bows, clears his throat, and begins speaking.

“Welcome, one and all, to the Gold Goblin Gambling Hall and your chance to cheat the Devil and win back not only your soul but all of his gold as well. I am Saul Vancaskerin!” He says this last as he pats the large chest before which he stands. “I hope you found your reception by the Devil’s lovely temptresses suitably entertaining.” This is met by a general murmur of laughter and a few catcalls. “Let’s take this moment to thank Old Scratch himself for attending this event. Not only did he loan us these lovely, dark angels, but he also emptied the deepest vaults of Hell itself to provide the gold for this tournament.”

With this statement the man directs the crowd's attention to the creature in the birdcage. At the sudden attention, Old Scratch flies into a furious rage, banging on the bars and spiiting howling and screaming vile epithats in what has to be Infernal at everyone assembled. His theatrics are received by the crowd with guffaws and even a bit of applause. As the noise dies down, and Scratch calms down, Saul continues.

“Of course, he plans on replacing what he loses in gold with the souls of those of you who don’t win. The tournament rules are quite simple—as you play, you’ll earn more chips. And with those chips, you’ll be able to bribe your way out of the current Hell you’re trapped in, working your way down deeper until you get to Old Scratch’s treasury. Currently, all of you are Old Scratch’s prisoners in the first of the Hells, Avernus. If you want to work your way down to the ninth circle, you need to win games. Each time you win, you’ll be awarded a golden eye. If you come in second, you’ll get a silver tooth. And third place wins a copper heart. These bits of flesh and bone are what the devils use in Hell for currency, and they’re what you’ll need to pay in order to bribe your way into the next layer of hell. The first player to win a game after reaching Nessus not only keeps his winnings for that game, but also earns back his soul and the ten thousand silver coins that the Devil put up for this tournament. You can, of course, decide to cash out your winnings at any time you want, but if you do, or if you run out of money entirely... well, that means Old Scratch gets you.” Vancaskerkin grins evilly and the caged imp cuts loose with another profane tirade. “And that earns you the Devil’s Mark and an escort out of the game hall until the tournament is over. What, you ask, exactly is this Devil’s Mark? Well, it’s something too utterly horrible to even contemplate. The forfeiture of your very soul, it is. But I suppose I can show you what it is— gods know I more than deserve the Devil’s Mark. In fact, better make it two, girls!” With that, the two succubi accompanying him lean over and each firmly plants a kiss on Saul’s cheek with her ruby-red lips. When they pull away, their lip rouge has left clearly visible prints in the same shocking red on his cheeks. Saul beams as he cries out, “The Devil’s Mark, everyone!” which is greeted by a flurry of shouts, catcalls, and hoots. “Now, let’s cheat the Devil and take his gold!” which prompts one more rabid flurry from the imprisoned fiend above, and with that, the tournament begins.

Alright, so you all have time now to Roleplay AND Gamble! We are going to do this the easy way as there is no way to simulate poker and whatnot on the boards. However the Dice Games CAN be simulated IF You prefer (the ones marked DICE), so just announce if you want to try playing the actual game or just do the quick check. I would PREFER the Quick Play system (CHA or Prof Check) but its up to you guys. So, here are the games available:

Poker
Bounder (Dice)
Ghoulette (Dice)
Golem
Skiffs

Poker is Texas Holdem Style. The other games will be detailed in the spoilers below (The dealers will explain this if asked)

Bounder:

Bounder is unique among gambling games in that both the players and dealer use dice. The dealer gets three 6-sided dice, and each player gets two 20-siders.
To start, each player bets a stake (minimum 1 sp). Each player rolls his first d20, making his “point.” After all players have rolled their points, each player may double his stake if desired. Then the dealer rolls 3d6. Anyone whose point the dealer matches loses his stake. Then each player rolls his second d20. If the player’s two dice results are on either side of the dealer’s result—one greater than and one less than the dealer’s number—he “bounds” the dealer and wins an amount equal to the amount he bet. Otherwise, he loses his stake. If a player rolls a 1 and a 20 (or a 20 and a 1), he wins double his bet.

Ghoulette:

Basically Rhoulette. Can use a 12 Sided Die to Simulate. 12 Spaces.
To play, each player puts a marker and any number of coins on one or more of the spaces on the ghoulette wheel (minimum 10 cp per space). The croupier then spins Dungo until he comes to a stop. Dungo then issues an enraged insult at someone based on the particular topic he is looking at on the wheel. Any player who has coins on the subject matter of this insult is paid the amount of coins he bet in the next highest denomination—copper gets paid in silver (e.g., a 15 cp bet gets 15 sp), silver in gold, gold in platinum, and platinum in ten times the amount. If Dungo says “something nice,” each player gets a consolation
prize of the amount of coins he bet in the next lowest denomination, rounded down (e.g., a 15 cp bet gets back 1 cp). Then the croupier presses a button that tilts the edges of the wheel slightly inward, and all original bets (regardless of win or loss) slide into slots under Dungo’s head and into the coffer under the table.

A 12 is Something Nice, and cannot be bet on.

Golem:

Golem is a player-vs.-player card game similar to five-card draw poker, but with a “golem hand.” Golem is played in a series of games; one game must be completely resolved before the next begins. The player to the right of the dealer gets the amulet to start the night. The dealer deals five cards to each player. Starting at the amulet, each player can bet, raise one coin, or fold. Anyone who folds is out of the game, and can’t come back in until a new game begins. Next, each player may discard up to two cards and receive that many back from the dealer. These discarded cardsgo facedown on the center of the table. Another round of betting occurs, starting at the amulet. If, at any point, only one player hasn’t folded, he wins the pot—the house taking 5 percent—and the game is over. If at least two players are still in after all bets are called, those players reveal their hands. Then the dealer “ups the golem.” The golem hand—those cards discarded when players had the chance to draw new cards—is revealed, and if the player with the best hand beats the golem, he wins the pot, and the game is over. But if the player with the best hand does not beat the golem, that player must put into the pot an amount of coins equal to what’s already in the pot, and all cards are collected so that a new hand can be dealt for the players who were still in at the end. This continues
until someone wins the pot. The house takes 5 percent of the final pot, and then the amulet moves one positionto the right and a new game is dealt.

Skiffs:

Skiffs is a halfling gambling game played on a three-by-three board or set of boxes (the “lake”). Each player puts up in 25 tokens (“skiffs”). The dealer takes one skiff (the “racer”) from each player and then places the rest in a bowl called the “storm.” The storm is flipped over the lake in one smooth motion, so each of the skiffs falls into one of the 9 boxes. (If a skiff falls between parts of the lake, the dealer places it where more than half of it lies, choosing randomly between the two boxes if it isn’t clear.)

Since this cannot be simulated I am not going to put the rest of the rules up

To Gamble you have 2 options. Roll a standard CHA Check which I will compare to a table I have and dictate win, loss, and how big of a win it is! Or, if you have it, Profession Gambler is also an acceptable check. A single game of any of the above will take you about 5 minutes of time, and you must bet AT LEAST 1 Silver Piece.

Copper Hearts, Silver Tooths, and Gold Eyes are the chips you use to gamble with. Each one is worth 1 of the coin in its name (IE A Gold Eye is worth 1 GP), and to buy a badge costs the number of chips listed. IE Badge of Dis is 1 Gold Eye. You can exchange them at the counter.

So its all you guys now! Let me know what you wanna do, what you are planning, ect ect


K: Planes 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (7) + 10 = 17
K: Arcana 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (16) + 10 = 26
K: Local 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (13) + 6 = 19

Leaning in a bit to Nichelle and saying to her, though loud enough to be overheard by the others. As you might expect, the contract is fake. However, that imp in the cage is most assuredly real. Interesting touch. He points out the gentleman in the suit with the amputated arm. That's Saul Vankasterkin, I'm pretty sure. It's been a decade or two since I've been through Riddleport, so I suppose it could be a son or grandson... No, that's Saul alright.

Tragershen pays the 1 gold to enter, and changes 2 gold for silver. He's going to play Ghoulette, betting 1 silver on "9" for each spin. He'll go through all 20 silver before losing interest and moving on.
Rolls

Spoiler:

1d12 ⇒ 6 Lose 1 sp.
1d12 ⇒ 4 Lose 1 sp.
1d12 ⇒ 12 Get 1 cp back.
1d12 ⇒ 9 Get 1 gp.
1d12 ⇒ 7 Lose 1 sp.
1d12 ⇒ 7 Lose 1 sp.
1d12 ⇒ 3 Lose 1 sp.
1d12 ⇒ 1 Lose 1 sp.
1d12 ⇒ 6 Lose 1 sp.
1d12 ⇒ 6 Lose 1 sp.
1d12 ⇒ 3 Lose 1 sp.
1d12 ⇒ 8 Lose 1 sp.
1d12 ⇒ 10 Get 1 cp.
1d12 ⇒ 12 Lose 1 sp.
1d12 ⇒ 9 Get 1 gp.
1d12 ⇒ 7 Lose 1 sp.
1d12 ⇒ 5 Lose 1 sp.
1d12 ⇒ 6 Lose 1 sp.
1d12 ⇒ 4 Lose 1 sp.
1d12 ⇒ 10 Lose 1 sp.

So by my count, I come out 2 cp ahead. Does that sound right? :)


F Human(Varisian) Rogue(Poisoner) | F+1, R+5, W+0 | Init +3 | Perc +5

Nichelle looks rather awed by the grand display, though anyone perceptive enough can see her reddening after every tirade of the imp. Much like a small-town local, she's looking around-- occasionally fending off hands-- and grinning at the spectacle of it all. She drifts between Edgar and the three others that she has met this evening, and spends most of her time looking at things. Several of the games have her attention for a bit, though she does not play yet. She did pick up a small glass of wine from somewhere though.

Eventually, she settled on Skiffs, since it looked like fun. Especially if the dealer in charge was a Halfling. She only played twice, though.. Going home anytime soon was not something that she wanted to do.

Nichelle's Rolls:
Perception1d20 + 7 ⇒ (16) + 7 = 23, Charisma1d20 + 2 ⇒ (15) + 2 = 17, 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (2) + 2 = 4. And finally, Sleight of Hand1d20 + 8 ⇒ (20) + 8 = 28, 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (12) + 8 = 20 to snag cp here and there.


Male Tengu Bard - Dirge Singer

K. Planes 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (9) + 3 = 12
K. Local1d20 + 3 ⇒ (20) + 3 = 23
K. Local1d20 + 3 ⇒ (13) + 3 = 16

Bwhahaha! They call this a contract? Pfft. Stealing souls and all that. Now if one of my family actually wrote it, then we'd have something to worry about. One of my sisters created a potion that is suppose to give your youth back. Sound nice and all, cept she uses it on slaves. Young slaves work harder than older slaves. Old Karl, one of her human slaves, has made a contract with her to work for over four hundred years, and with her alchemy, he'd have to do it too!

He writes his name in a combination of Tengu and Draconic, pays the 1 gp fee and rubs his claws together.

Sensing weakness Edgar mosies on into the crowd of people looking for the poker table. He sits down and puts on his "Poker face". As he has the face of a bird.. nothing really changed.

Vodka Martini, shaken not stirred. he says to one of the passing waiters. Gentlemen. he turns to the game.


Acting (James Bond)1d20 + 8 ⇒ (5) + 8 = 13
P Gambling1d20 + 5 ⇒ (8) + 5 = 13


Knowledge Planar, unchecked so can only meet DC 10 1d20 ⇒ 16

Knowledge Local DC 10 1d20 ⇒ 16

DM:

Verik Vancaskerkin, one of Saul's kids appears in my CotCT part 1. Apparently his other brother was in the AP before that, Rise of the Runelords part 1.

Alexander appears to worry for a moment, but he just shrugs as what Edgar says appears to make him confident and the attractive women also tempting any man to write the contract just for a chance to be close to these women and so he signs his soul away, quite literilly according to the contract, doing so in Chelaxian so that it appeared more infernal funnily enough he thought due to how Chelax is these days.

I assume that the women aren't real succubi. Real in the sense of that they are wearing costumes and it's obvious like the horns are attached to a headband, the wings bend in the wind or doing move properly, same with the tail. If perception is needed I'll give a check

Perception if applicable 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (15) + 1 = 16

Alexander pays 1 gold for entry fee and seeing the Tengu so confident he feels that he should show him up by attempting to out-play him by heading to Ghoulette in an attempt to try and raise more money than him.

Alexander places a gold coin on 9.


Female Human Mighty Godling 1

Iluna laughs at the contract, especially after both Edgar and Tragershen dismiss it as obviously fake. "I suppose the devil will have to wait in line. I fear others have an earlier claim on my soul."

Iluna pays her gold to enter the tournament and then changes 5 gold into silver.

It is evident that Iluna enjoys all the pageantry of Vancaskerian's introduction and she then spends much of her time wandering around the room, admiring the various games, the costumes, and the colorful collection of gamblers.

She decides to try her hand at Skiffs. "These little boats look my speed. It will be like playing with little toys."

Skiffs:

1d20 ⇒ 11, 1d20 ⇒ 5, 1d20 ⇒ 2

Having little luck, she heads over to Ghoulette, to listen to the insults.

Ghoulette:

Bet 10 silver on 4
1d12 ⇒ 12
That's 10 cp!


Remember folks you are converting you money to chips, so keep tabs on how much you converted and how much you have lost / won.

Tragershen:

Yup you got 2cp more then your starting bet, which means you got 2 of the Copper Hearts more

Nichelle:

On your first attempt at theft, you manage to snag 2 CP. However on your second you stop cold as you realize that one of the bouncers was watching and almost saw you.

How much did you bet on each round of Skiffs? I cannot tell ya how much you won or lost without knowning how much you bet!

Edgar:

Upon asking for a vodka martini, the waitress looks at you blankly. "So do you want a glass of elven red? Or a glass of white? Or an Ale?"

I need to know an amount you actually bet before I can tell you the results

Alexander:

Remember its chips, so I will assume you got a single Gold Eye

You place your chip on 9, and the croupier spins the wheel!

1d12 ⇒ 4

Sadly your number does not come up, and you lose your money. Unless you go and get some more chips you will face "The Devil's Mark"!

Illuna:

On Skiffs, you lose every bet you made fully.

On Ghoulette you are exactly right.

The games all around continue, a few people winning and alot more losing. Several are given the Devil's Mark and are escorted out, however they are quickly let back in by repaying the entry fee.

Feel free to continue, mingle, chat with folks, ect. Saul is seen wandering the hall flanked by 2 bodyguards.


Male Tengu Bard - Dirge Singer

I would bet minimum unless I specify

Mix all three of them together.


F Human(Varisian) Rogue(Poisoner) | F+1, R+5, W+0 | Init +3 | Perc +5

1sp each game played
Nichelle was surprised and impressed that the bouncers almost caught her. It spoke well of the eye of the person that was hiring, and even better of the bouncers themselves. Smiling at the dealer, she played once more 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (13) + 2 = 15, and then left the table to find Alexander and see how well he was doing. Illuna was hard to miss, even in the lighting of this place, and Edgar... She really had no clue where he may have gone.


Alexander is a bit down at his first loss, but he starts shelling out more chips in hopes to win, not caring if he leaves with nothing, he atleast gets a kiss from a beautiful woman.
Now if this was my Gnome in my RL game he would've already walked over to either Nichelle or Iluna and said "I have a 10-foot pole" with a wink. ofcourse I stole that off the internet, but he's more crude than Alexander is, especially with a much higher Charisma.

DM:

Oh don't worry, counting the coins in herolab, will let you know when out of gold. Can I use silver as I believe as it say minimum was 10 copper. Alex would've converted all his funds as he wants to try and shwo up Edgar and impress the women.

Will put another on the following numbers.

3

7

5

4

Same bet at before on each one.

Didn't roll because I was afraid that if I rolled it that I could be accused of cheating if I won :p


Female Human Mighty Godling 1

So we get to choose how much we wager? I guess I'll say Iluna wagered a silver piece on each skiff, so she is down 12 sp and, um, 90 cp? That means she has around 37 silver pieces left . . .

Iluna places the 90 cp on 11 in ghoulette.

Ghoulette:

1d12 ⇒ 6

Losing her money, she laughs heartily at the insult. She then tries to interest the other patrons in a rousing gambling song. "Here is a song . . . my mother says she learned it from some gentlemen from down in the shackles. I suppose it's more of a pirate song than a gambling song, but tonight it feels just right." She bursts into a bawdy tune having to do with winning a mermaid's kiss, trying to get others to join in.

Perform (singing)1d20 + 1 ⇒ (10) + 1 = 11

"Oh, and all that she left were some scales in me mouth and some slime down south!"


Male Tengu Bard - Dirge Singer

well there is something you don't see every day.. a singing giant woman.


Nichelle:

On your first game of Skiffs you come away with your original bet of 1 silver plus an additional 2 copper! However on your second game you lose your silver fully.

Edgar:

Minimum it is
At the request of mixing all three drinks, the waitress looks at you strangely, and comes back a moment later with a foul looking concoction.

On your round of Poker, you manage to not lose terribly. Out of your 1 silver bet, you come away with 8 copper (losing 2 copper).

If you drink it make a FORT save please

Alexander:

Spins coming! I assume 1 silver for each bet since you were asking about using silver (the minimum bet is 1 silver)

1st Bet (#3) - 1d12 ⇒ 12: You get 1 Copper Piece as a Consolation Prize
2nd Bet (#7) - 1d12 ⇒ 3: Lose all
3rd Bet (#5) - 1d12 ⇒ 2: Lose all
4th Bet (#4) - 1d12 ⇒ 11: Lose all

You spend 4 silver, and manage to only come away with a single copper consolation prize. The head screams insults and its rather annoying!

Iluna:

Make a CHA Check! :D


Male Tengu Bard - Dirge Singer

Well, Time for round two then, I'd say.

Edgar leaves the strange concoction alone for now.


1d20 + 5 ⇒ (7) + 5 = 12 Profession Gambling
1d20 + 7 ⇒ (11) + 7 = 18 Bluff


Female Human Mighty Godling 1

DM:

Charisma: 1d20 ⇒ 4
No +1 for perform?

Iluna continues to carouse, looking for another game that interests her.


After being entralled with numerous rounds of Ghoulette, Tragershen becomes suddenly sober. He'll collect his meager winnings and step away. He'll squeeze through the crowd to find a decent vantage point where he can see much of the crowd and scan it for anyone of particular interest. Once he has a good bead on who made it in before the cut off, he'll go back to the game tables, watching a few rounds of each, deciding where to put down money next.


F Human(Varisian) Rogue(Poisoner) | F+1, R+5, W+0 | Init +3 | Perc +5

That makes Nichelle's total 1g1s2c so far.

Content to amiably walk around the expanse of the casino, Nichelle's attention was inevitably drawn to Illuna's singing, and she came closer to where the large woman was singing to get a better view. Her small glass of wine still had some remaining in it, and she was likely using it as a deterrent against more drinks, rather than nursing it like it seemed.

She had drifted past several of the tables, keeping more of an eye on the layouts, the dealers, and the other business goings-on while many of the people there came closer and closer to receiving the "Devil's Mark".


DM:

Actually I bet Gold so lost most of my gold it seems lol. I still have quite a few still on me and more silver.

Alexander gets frustraited however he decides to spin the ghoulette again, this time using his remaining gold.

Ghoulette:

Bet #1: 5

Bet #2: 7

Bet #3: 3

Bet #4: 11


Alexander:

Spin 1 - 1d12 ⇒ 7 against 5 - LOSE
Spin 2 - 1d12 ⇒ 4 against 7 - LOSE
Spin 3 - 1d12 ⇒ 11 against 3 - LOSE
Spin 4 - 1d12 ⇒ 9 against 11 - LOSE


Tragershen picks up his two copper winnings and steps away from the table. Realizing that at the rate he's going he's never going to win the evening, he takes a drink from a server and starts making his way through the crowd. He's checking around to see who's winning, and he's also trying to make out if there are any dignitaries in the crowd. He's been away from Riddleport for some time now, and he's working to get himself reacquainted with who is who.


Alexander sighs and shakes his head.
"Stupid game anyway." he mutters, making sure to welcome the kill from the beautiful young women. Maybe even ask one what time she gets off work when looking at a red-haired beauty.


F Human(Varisian) Rogue(Poisoner) | F+1, R+5, W+0 | Init +3 | Perc +5

Nichelle was not really playing, not in this house. The money she had, she kept as a marker, but was not especially inclined to lose it. She was more concerned with the establishment, and figuring a way to get employment here. Those that were guarding were pretty able, and the dealers seemed competent. It was what a Grand Opening should have been, and she was realizing that if she was going to manage to secure a position here, it was not very likely that it would be done today.. It looked like she was going to have to come back and see how things went in the weeks following.

Drifting through the crowd, she started to look for Alexander and Edgar. Iluna was pretty easy to spot, so she used her as a marker in the crowd, and headed for the last table she saw Edgar at.


Female Human Mighty Godling 1

Iluna places one final 10 sp bet on the ghoulette, mostly hoping to hear some fine insults. "Number eight!" she calls out.

ghoulette:

1d12 ⇒ 1

"By my father's shriveled heart!" she swears when, once again, she loses. "Anyone care for another song?" she offers.

Iluna is happy to move on.


Perception Checks PLease


Perception: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (7) + 1 = 8

I just realized I was in the casino with a large sized woman that sings.

1 to 50 of 58 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / DM Darkhoof's Second Darkness IC Thread: Group 2 All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.