Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
About Paizo Messageboards News Paizo Blog Help/FAQ
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

RPG Superstar 2015

Does UM now make Blasting with Ice viable?


Advice

Marathon Voter 2013

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Roleplaying Game Subscriber
Rime-Blooded Wildbloodline wrote:


Bloodline Arcana: Whenever you cast a spell with the
cold descriptor, you may select one target of the spell to be
slowed (as the spell) for 1 round. A Fortitude save (DC 10 +
the level of cold spell + your Charisma modifier) negates
the effect.
Cheapy's Awesome Copy and Paste Skillz wrote:

Rime Spell (Metamagic)

Creatures damaged by your spells with the cold descriptor
become entangled.
Benefit: The frost of your cold spell clings to the
target, impeding it for a short time. A rime spell causes
creatures that takes cold damage from the spell to
become entangled for a number of rounds equal to the
original level of the spell.
This feat only affects spells with the cold descriptor. A
rime spell uses up a spell slot one level higher than the
spell’s actual level.

So for the small cost of either a Rod of Rime Spell or 5 (or just swallowing that +1 slot), a sorcerer focusing on [cold] magic can potentially slow a target, and will entangle their target.

I was hoping to find some [cold] [sonic] spells to get Concussive Spell in on the action, but there appear to be none!


If you are willing to take a 1-level hit to your caster level, dipping Oracle for the Waves Mystery makes an excellent choice for cold-based casters. They can take the following revelation from the Waves mystery.

Freezing Spells (Su): Whenever a creature fails a saving throw and takes cold damage from one of your spells, it is slowed (as the slow spell) for 1 round. Spells that do not allow a save do not slow creatures. At 11th level, the duration increases to 1d4 rounds.

Now, I'm pretty sure that the Oracle revelations apply to all spells you cast, not just your Oracle spells. I recall seeing a ruling to the effect in the past, but I can't remember where I saw it. Freezing Spells is almost always better than the Rime Wildblood ability, as this applies to every creature who fails the save vs. your cold spells. That said, nothing says that they can't both be used at the same time. The small downside is that it only activates on a failed save, so no Slow from a Ray of Frost.


Another take on this would be to take the crossblooded archetype and select the Rime-Blooded and Cold Elemental Bloodline. The Cold Elemental Bloodline will allow you to change any elemental spell into a Cold spell when casting it. You won't be able to get the entangling effect, but you won't need to use metamagic, either.

Marathon Voter 2013

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Roleplaying Game Subscriber
Ellington wrote:
Another take on this would be to take the crossblooded archetype and select the Rime-Blooded and Cold Elemental Bloodline. The Cold Elemental Bloodline will allow you to change any elemental spell into a Cold spell when casting it. You won't be able to get the entangling effect, but you won't need to use metamagic, either.

The elemental bloodline changes the type of the spell to whatever your elemental nature is, so yes, that would work. I really wish Elemental Spell wasn't +1 level though, because splitting the damage type could allow for interesting combinations of rider effects.


You could just take eldritch Heratige. Requires skill focus as a pre-req, but could be worth it.


AceMcGrudy wrote:
You could just take eldritch Heratige. Requires skill focus as a pre-req, but could be worth it.

Eldritch heritage does not give you the bloodline arcana, only the bloodline power, I think.

Marathon Voter 2013

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Roleplaying Game Subscriber
FiddlersGreen wrote:
AceMcGrudy wrote:
You could just take eldritch Heratige. Requires skill focus as a pre-req, but could be worth it.
Eldritch heritage does not give you the bloodline arcana, only the bloodline power, I think.

Correct. Jason B clarified that. So many dreams of mine were shattered upon reading that.


Aww, crap. You are correct, sir. Oh well.


Have to say, the combo looks pretty slick. I might whip together a build to see how it looks on paper.

What was that one new ice spell from UM? I believe it was a cone of cold-like one that could be cast with a swift action, if I remember correctly.

Grand Lodge

Related question: Does the Ice Scorching Ray you get as an elemental bloodline sorcerer work with Rime Spell. Might be nice to entangle something 2 rounds with no save.


Arutema wrote:
Related question: Does the Ice Scorching Ray you get as an elemental bloodline sorcerer work with Rime Spell. Might be nice to entangle something 2 rounds with no save.

Seeing how they gave a guidline for creating spells, I dont' see why one couldn't research a "Frozen Ray" that is identical to scorching ray with the exception that it is cold damage.

This being the case, I would say yes.

Grand Lodge

My sorcerer being a PFS character, custom spells are right out.


Arutema wrote:
My sorcerer being a PFS character, custom spells are right out.

In that case.../fail. lol


Kalrik wrote:
Arutema wrote:
Related question: Does the Ice Scorching Ray you get as an elemental bloodline sorcerer work with Rime Spell. Might be nice to entangle something 2 rounds with no save.

Seeing how they gave a guidline for creating spells, I dont' see why one couldn't research a "Frozen Ray" that is identical to scorching ray with the exception that it is cold damage.

This being the case, I would say yes.

Actually, at level 5 water elemental sorcerers get a scorching ray that has the [cold] descriptor, as per their bloodline arcana. This should trigger the bloodline arcana of the Rime-Blooded bloodline, or as you asked, the Rime Spell metamagic.

I believe so, anyway.

For added fun - play an Undine.

Marathon Voter 2013

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Roleplaying Game Subscriber

Yes, I do believe Crossblooded Water Elemental and Rime-blooded may be the best option. Or Marid.

Either that or you can stick to just Rime-blooded and pure [cold] spells, and not take the hit of Crossblooded. Elemental Spell adds one to the level, so I'm not going to consider that.

If someone does come up with a character based on this, I'd love to see it!

The Toppling Force mage might be better at controlling though. They don't get the nice Slow effect, but can knock prone 5 guys at range pretty easily.

Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Publishing / Pathfinder® / Pathfinder RPG / Advice / Does UM now make Blasting with Ice viable? All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.