Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
About Paizo Messageboards News Paizo Blog Help/FAQ
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

Hexcrafter Magus and Extra Hex Feat


Rules Questions


Nice n simple

Can Hexcrafter Magus take the Extra Hex feat ? Obviously can take Extra Arcana and in the archetype says you can take a Hex in place of arcana so I'm guessing its cool ?

Cheliax

Pathfinder Comics Subscriber; Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Modules, Roleplaying Game Subscriber

For the feat it says the only Prerequisite is the hex class feature. So since they can take hex's as a class I would say yes.


Dark_Mistress wrote:
For the feat it says the only Prerequisite is the hex class feature. So since they can take hex's as a class I would say yes.

yeah the only reason I question it is in the archtype

"The hexcrafter magus picks one hex from the witch’s hex class feature"

picks one hex, not gains the class feature.

but if he can exchange taking arcana for hex during a levelup would make sense that he could then that extra arcana and choose a hex using that rule so it feels interchangeable

Cheliax

Pathfinder Comics Subscriber; Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Modules, Roleplaying Game Subscriber
Phasics wrote:
Dark_Mistress wrote:
For the feat it says the only Prerequisite is the hex class feature. So since they can take hex's as a class I would say yes.

yeah the only reason I question it is in the archtype

"The hexcrafter magus picks one hex from the witch’s hex class feature"

picks one hex, not gains the class feature.

but if he can exchange taking arcana for hex during a levelup would make sense that he could then that extra arcana and choose a hex using that rule so it feels interchangeable

Well it just says has hex as a class feature not how many. So to me the way the feat reads is if a class gets even a single hex ever they can then take the feat.


Dark_Mistress wrote:
Phasics wrote:
Dark_Mistress wrote:
For the feat it says the only Prerequisite is the hex class feature. So since they can take hex's as a class I would say yes.

yeah the only reason I question it is in the archtype

"The hexcrafter magus picks one hex from the witch’s hex class feature"

picks one hex, not gains the class feature.

but if he can exchange taking arcana for hex during a levelup would make sense that he could then that extra arcana and choose a hex using that rule so it feels interchangeable

Well it just says has hex as a class feature not how many. So to me the way the feat reads is if a class gets even a single hex ever they can then take the feat.

yep, agreed


This strikes me as kind of a rulings grey area...

RAW, the abilities of the hexcrafter to get hexes are named Hex Magus and Hex Arcana, neither of which are the "Hex" class ability. Thus, by a strict interpretation of RAW, the hexcrafter does not qualify for the Extra Hex feat.

However, the Hex Arcana ability states that you can take a witch hex in place of a magus arcana, so you could take the Extra Arcana feat and then take a witch hex through the Hex Arcana ability, thus effectively duplicating Extra Hex.

Since it can be functionally duplicated RAW, and just allowing Extra Hex is a simpler solution, I'd allow it unless a developer states that the intention is to not allow the hexcrafter to gain additional hexes through feats.


hex crafter does not have the hex class feature. what it has are magus arcana that it can swap for hexes. so just take the extra magus arcana feat. assuming I have the name right.

then swap the new arcana for a hex per the arc type.


Mojorat wrote:

hex crafter does not have the hex class feature. what it has are magus arcana that it can swap for hexes. so just take the extra magus arcana feat. assuming I have the name right.

then swap the new arcana for a hex per the arc type.

so I think we're all pretty much agreeing whenever you could take an arcana from ANY source you can instead take a Hex ,


yes it says whenever you could select an arcana you can select a hex instead. they just don't qualify fir feats requiring the hex class feature. at least how it's worded.

Andoran

Seems to me folks are trying to over think this question. The original poster had the answer right in front of him just as Mojorat has said.

"hex crafter does not have the hex class feature. what it has are magus arcana that it can swap for hexes. so just take the extra magus arcana feat. assuming I have the name right.

then swap the new arcana for a hex per the arc type."

This right here, answers the question in full, and should end any debate. :)


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Modules Subscriber

That's pretty much what everybody settled on over two years ago when this thread was active. ; )

Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Publishing / Pathfinder® / Pathfinder RPG / Rules Questions / Hexcrafter Magus and Extra Hex Feat All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.