Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
About Paizo Messageboards News Paizo Blog Help/FAQ
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game

Starfinder


Pathfinder Society


Pathfinder Adventure Card Game


Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Piercing Spell (Ultimate Magic Feat)


Paizo Products

Grand Lodge

So, a caster with Piercing Spell can apply it to a spell and get a +5 to overcome SR, making the spell one level higher.

Or, .... a caster can get Spell Penetration and get a +2 on all spells to overcome SR.

Is that right?

It seems to me that Spell Penetration is better (especially with another Feat, Gr Spell Penetration). But for those of you who playtested the UM and this Feat, how did it work out?

Also, I assume Spell Penetration has to stack with Piercing Spell because the language of the description says the former gives a +2 while the latter treats SR as 5 lower.


When I saw that feat, I thought that a metamagic rod of Piercing Spell is now a "must have".

Heck, for a sorcerer, I might even spring for the feat. A +1 level adjustment is pretty puny.


I don't think that this feat was given for playtesting.
I see no reason for this metamagic feat not to stack with spell penetration.


Well. +4 or +9 with metamagic?

I know I'm still traumatized by the way MR worked in the 2nd edition... Anything that lets me overcome SR is a good thing.

Shadow Lodge

Estrosiath wrote:

Well. +4 or +9 with metamagic?

I know I'm still traumatized by the way MR worked in the 2nd edition... Anything that lets me overcome SR is a good thing.

Spell/Greater Spell Penetration: +4

Piercing Spell: +5(for ease, it's +)
Elf: +2

That's a +11 to get through SR.


You don't get a bonus, your opponents' SR is treated as lower than it actually is:

Quote:

Piercing Spell (Metamagic)

Your studies have helped you develop methods to overcome spell resistance.
Benefit: When you cast a piercing spell against a target with spell resistance, it treats the spell resistance of the target as 5 lower than its actual SR. A piercing spell uses up a spell slot one level higher than the spell's actual level.

...so it should stack with anything. Like others have said, a must-have rod, and even not too bad of a feat.

Grand Lodge

Dragonborn3 wrote:
That's a +11 to get through SR.

Well, +11 after using 2 Feats and either a third or a Rod of PS.

Whether or not using those two (or 3) Feats on something else for optimum maximization is a different topic.


There's obviously no accounting for priorities.
But since SR means that your spells simply does not affect its target, it is pretty high on my priority list. SR is like Arcane Spell Failure while wearing armor: a complete waste of resources.

Now, of course, the mileage you will get out of such a package will vary wildly depending on the sort of campaign you are playing. It will be absolutely awesomesauce if most of your foes have SR, and completely and utterly useless if you are fighting beings without it. Also, if the DM is a fan of "lots of small creatures" instead of one big one, one feat (or only the rod) should be sufficient.

The moment the spellcaster with both feats (and the rod) start taking on mid- to high- level foes, he will probably be glad he took them.


Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Maps, Pawns, Roleplaying Game Subscriber
Dragonborn3 wrote:
Estrosiath wrote:

Well. +4 or +9 with metamagic?

I know I'm still traumatized by the way MR worked in the 2nd edition... Anything that lets me overcome SR is a good thing.

Spell/Greater Spell Penetration: +4

Piercing Spell: +5(for ease, it's +)
Elf: +2

That's a +11 to get through SR.

Add Spell Perfection and it become +15 to bypass SR with your perfected spell.

With this feat my 15th-level halfling sorcerer can now force her enemies to make a Fortitude save vs DC 35 (roll twice take lowest) and always get at least a 30 to beat spell resistance (by rolling a natural 1) with her flesh to stone spell. Balors? Pit Fiends? Ancient Gold Dragons? They all end up in my garden.

EDIT: Technically, she gets a 25, but with SR being lowered by 5, it has the same end result).


Pathfinder Battles Case Subscriber; Pathfinder Legends Subscriber; Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Roleplaying Game Subscriber
Ravingdork wrote:
Dragonborn3 wrote:
Estrosiath wrote:

Well. +4 or +9 with metamagic?

I know I'm still traumatized by the way MR worked in the 2nd edition... Anything that lets me overcome SR is a good thing.

Spell/Greater Spell Penetration: +4

Piercing Spell: +5(for ease, it's +)
Elf: +2

That's a +11 to get through SR.

Add Spell Perfection and it become +15 to bypass SR with your perfected spell.

With this feat my 15th-level halfling sorcerer can now force her enemies to make a Fortitude save vs DC 35 (roll twice take lowest) and always get at least a 30 to beat spell resistance (by rolling a natural 1) with her flesh to stone spell. Balors? Pit Fiends? Ancient Gold Dragons? They all end up in my garden.

EDIT: Technically, she gets a 25, but with SR being lowered by 5, it has the same end result).

Ahh my friends, but you forget the Fort Save needed to ensure a garden dragon. :-)

Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo / Pathfinder® / Pathfinder RPG / Paizo Products / Piercing Spell (Ultimate Magic Feat) All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.
Recent threads in Paizo Products

©2002-2017 Paizo Inc.® | Privacy Policy | Contact Us
Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours, Monday through Friday, 10:00 AM to 5:00 PM Pacific time.

Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, Starfinder, the Starfinder logo, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc. The Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Legends, Pathfinder Online, Starfinder Adventure Path, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.