Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
About Paizo Messageboards News Paizo Blog Help/FAQ
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

Gullinbursti's Serpent's Skull


Play-by-Post

101 to 150 of 203 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | next > last >>

Male Gnome Ranger 1

"Very well then. I am Gerrick Caramadge, explorer, hunter, scout and guide. I've made a serious study of wilderness and jungles and how to get by in unusual regions away from the comforts of civilization. Something I think may be beneficial to all of us as we get through this exciting ordeal."


Male Halfling Rogue 1

Hern looks as if he is about to speak, but stop himself, unsure of what to say. Though it no longer matters, Hern is hesitant to speak too much about his past. Then, remembering that that old life is gone, he speaks:

'I'm Hern Davisham. I'm from the same place as the wizard, Cheliax; though I am afraid we've had very different experiences. This", Hern points to the tattoo of a blue flower on his wrist, "means that I spent the last few years stealing people from Chellish slavery. That means I have a few skills that help us out here. I can live off the land for a while and I've learned to use these blades.'


"Well, for those who haven't gathered as much, I am Jask Derindi. I am a practicing cleric who can draw upon the blessings of my god though sadly I can not do much to help at this point. I will however take care of those suffering from shock until you return." Jask announces.


Male Half-Elf HP 7/7, AC-12/T-12/FF-10, F+0/R+2/W+3, Init+2, Per+2

"Thank you Jask, that would be appreciated. See if you can get them on their feet by the time we return - we've all been through a harrowing experience, but now is not the time to coddle. As for the rest of us, I think we've had sufficient time to gather our wits. Let's get ourselves to the Jenivere while there's still something to salvage." Not the strongest swimmer, Lydran steps into the surf and looks around, seeing if he can spot anything that might ease the crossing to the wreck.

Are there any pieces of driftwood or wreckage around that are large enough for a person to use as a flotation device or that might otherwise make getting to the ship easier?


At this time of day you can probably get to the Jenivere without even getting your feet wet. A series of rocks lead out to the ship as part of the cluster of rocks she ran aground on. If it was early morning or late dusk you'd probably have to swim but it looks like it'll be fine for the next few hours at least.


Male Halfling Rogue 1

Hern leaps from rock to rock, eager to explore the ship and to begin solving some of the mysteries of the last few days. Just before clambering up onto the ship, Hern stops and, waiting for the others to join him, looks around for any significant items or features and strains to hear anything distinctive over the sounds of the ocean.

Perception:1d20 + 7 ⇒ (11) + 7 = 18


As mentioned, the Jenivere is missing much of her bow, and although it's only noticeable up close and with a DC15 Perception check, she's also missing much of her lower deck. All that survives are the upper decks, a portion of the captain's cabin, and on the mid-deck, the larder, a supply
room, and the brig and galley. Although the Jenivere's only lifeboat at first seems to be missing, as you approach the ship, the fate of this smaller boat becomes clear. It was washed up between the ship and the cliff and was crushed by the action of the waves smashing the Jenivere against the cliff side. Part of the lifeboat's bow still lolls about in the surf, attached to a protruding timber by a thick rope, as if someone had moored the boat to the wreck.

Hern:
Being in the lead you notice that a large portion of the seaward side of the ship is missing and that below deck you can hear a crashing sound that seems unrelated to the movement of the sea.


Male Halfling Rogue 1

As the others approach the boat, Hern motions for them to be quiet. He then points out the smashed lifeboat and its mooring. "Do you hear that crashing noise? It appears that the Jenivere is still occupied. We should be on our guard."


Male Gnome Ranger 1

Drawing his greatsword, Gerrick keeps wary as he keeps close to the group as they approach the great ruined boat.

"Well then... I dare say we should evict this intruder before we begin our salvage operation. I would prefer we go about our business in peace without any hostile creatures seeking to interfere."


Male Half-Orc Druid 1 560 xp

Hunt this thing first then search, that's how I do
Fugg agrees with the rest. Seeing the seaweed he is reassured about his usefulness on ship.


Just a heads up, due to the unnatural swaying of the deck of the ship everyone suffers a -2 penalty to their attack rolls.


Male Half-Elf HP 7/7, AC-12/T-12/FF-10, F+0/R+2/W+3, Init+2, Per+2

Lydran simply nods in agreement and whispers some unintelligible words as he presses a fist to his chest. His voice rises as he brings the incantations to a forceful finish, and there is a dull hum for a moment as the edge of his form is traced by a line of thin yellow light.

"The cardinal rule of delving: never leave foes behind you. Let's get to it then, shall we?"

Lydran casts Mage Armor on himself, which will boost his AC by +4 for one hour.


As the group head below deck you can hear a load banging sound coming from outside one of the storerooms. The storerooms door is closed and you can see one of the lobstrosities banging against the door trying to force its way in. Under the door a small trickle of blood has escaped driving the creature into a feeding frenzy it cannot satisfy. Hearing your approach the beast spins around claws and tail shaking threateningly.

This beast is much larger then the previous ones being about the size of an adult human and its chitin is a dark blue with black banding while the previous ones were orange colored with red banding.


Didn't think that this one needed a map since its a beast in a ten foot by ten foot room :P


Male Halfling Rogue 1

Seeing the beast turn and threaten the party, Hern darts around the lobstrosity, trying to get to the other side of it. Once there, he thrusts he rapier at the thing.

ooc:

Initiative: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (13) + 4 = 17
Acrobatics (for darting around the creature):1d20 + 10 ⇒ (2) + 10 = 12
Hern will hold his attack until someone moves into flank on the creature.
Attack: 1d20 ⇒ 6
Damage: 1d4 + 1d6 ⇒ (1) + (1) = 2
Hey the board changed my rolls when I moved under the spoiler. Now I look pathetic again.


Male Gnome Ranger 1

Upon seeing the lobster creature in its frenzy, Gerrick wastes no time taking the front line approach, striking out at the menacing monstrosity.

OOC + Dice stuff:

Will attempt to move into such a position to give Hern his flanking, mostly by being in the most direct path of the creature.

Initiative: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (18) + 5 = 23
Attack: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (4) + 4 = 8


Male Half-Elf HP 7/7, AC-12/T-12/FF-10, F+0/R+2/W+3, Init+2, Per+2

With a quick flick of his wrist, Lydran sends a dart of acid towards the lobstrosity. Dropping into a defensive stance, he unsheathes the slender blade on his belt, though he hopes he won't have to get that close to the creature.

ooc:
Lydran fires an acid dart at the creature (4 left today now) and draws his dagger.

Initiative = 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (3) + 2 = 5
Attack Roll = 1d20 ⇒ 18
Damage Roll = 1d6 ⇒ 5


Sorry for the absence, Busy weekend

Back at the camp:

" I am Aldon Rook, of the Rook family, of magnimar. I am a skilled huntsman, I have survival training, tracking skills, and quite a shot with me Crossbow. What I am not too keen on is Magic, all that finger wiggling, I never understood it.... No offense, Mr. Enrelios."

Currently on the ship

Not shocked by the size of the creature at all, Aldon calmy Cocks his crossbow, Takes aim, and fires

combat round 1:

I have precise shot, no -4 for shooting into melee

atk (+7 base. +1 PBS, -2 sway)
1d20 + 6 ⇒ (7) + 6 = 13

dmg (1d10 base, +1 pbs)
1d10 + 1 ⇒ (4) + 1 = 5

If this in an animal add +2 to atk roll, and dmg


Male Half-Orc Druid 1 560 xp

Fugg sees the creature and moves into engage with his greatax.

ooc:

Fugg moves adjacent to creature, flanking with Herrn if Gerrick is not.
Initiative: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (19) + 1 = 20
Attack: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (1) + 1 = 2(+3 str, -2 Sway)(Add 2 if I can flank)
Damage: 1d12 + 4 ⇒ (11) + 4 = 15


Spotting the beast Gerrick charges and swings his greatsword at the beast missing as it rears back. Fugg follows his example and they begin crowding it into the corner. Hern quickly dodges past them and tries to attack the beast from the side but in the confusion of the melee is unable to land a telling blow the lobstorsities chitin protecting it.

Next the beast itself lashes out trying to grab onto Gerrick while stinging Fugg. Gerrick is scrapped a little by one of the monsters claws but the damage is superficial at best. Meanwhile the stinger completely misses Fugg burying itself in the wooden deck as Fugg dodges half a step back out of its reach.

Lydran meanwhile, keeping to the rear of the group begins casting another of his now signature acidic darts and launches it into combat past his allies splashing the acid onto the creatures chitin just above its "face". The area hit by the acid begins to smoke and Aldon spots this weak point and quickly takes aim before loosing a bolt from his crossbow. The bolt flies straight and true hitting the weakened chitin and lodges itself in the beasts central nervous system killing it before it even has another chance to strike.

ooc actions:

Eurypterid (AC14, HP11)
Initiative 1d20+4=13

Claw at Gerrick, Claw at Gerrick, Sting at Fugg 1d20+1=21, 1d20+1=10, 1d20+1=5

Damage to Gerrick 1d3=1

See and you guys worry about your bad rolling :P


Male Halfling Rogue 1

Does anyone know if we can eat these blasted things. We certainly are wasting a lot of energy killing them.

Hern, looks around the hold of the the ship, looking for anything of interest. He then heads for the door that the creature was trying to enter and listens for any untoward noises. Assuming he doesn't hear anything suspicious, he will try to open the door. If it is locked, Hern will begin picking the lock.

ooc:

Perception: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (7) + 7 = 14
Disable device: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (10) + 9 = 19


Searching the ship, even in its tattered state, takes about half an hour as you try and collect everything you think will be of any use on the island. In the captain's cabin you find a collection of sea charts, maps, an unbroken bottle of brandy, a model of the Jenivere in a bottle that looks like it'll fetch a pretty penny and the captain's log. In one of the captain's draws you also find a collection of three hundred and fifty gold pieces and a leather satchel that looks to have been brought by a skilled alchemist. Inside are a dozen alchemical brews but you can't tell by a quick examination in a swaying ship.

Throughout the surviving rooms of the ship you also manage to find a block and tackle, three canvas sheets, two fishing nets, a grappling hook, two bullseye lanterns, twelve vials of lantern oil, a hundred and fifty feet of hemp rope and five shovels. During this search you also find the chief dead, broken in half and hidden in his own larder.

Finally you find the body of Alton once you manage to break into the storeroom that was leaking a trickle of blood under the door that the blueish lobstrosity was attacking.

That was a hell of a list to have to type :P


Male Half-Elf HP 7/7, AC-12/T-12/FF-10, F+0/R+2/W+3, Init+2, Per+2

As soon as his eyes fall upon them, Lydran collects the nautical papers from the cabin - the sea charts, maps, and captain's log - and stows them in his pack.

"We might want these if we end up trying to find our own way off the island... Let's take another look at this log once we reach camp - maybe the captain had his own suspicions?"

Lydran also grabs the alchemist's bag, and takes a moment to inspect them for any dweomer. Lydran cast Detect Magic on the bottles, but for if he picks up anything, he will wait until we're back at camp to try and identify them.

In the other rooms, Lydran prefers to direct others, being no ox himself. "We should definitely grab the fishing nets and that lantern oil, if we find we can't carry everything. Leave the coin for last - it won't help us much here."

Upon seeing the body of the cook, a stoic grimace spreads over Lydran's face. "Well that's grim. And here I was hoping for the chance to rough him up a bit. Does anyone else find it suspect that a shipwreck would break a man in half?"

Heal check to see if I can determine how the cook ended up like this. 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (13) + 1 = 14


Male Halfling Rogue 1

Hern leaps to the body of Alton, trying to determine what killed him, what happened in the last few hours of his life. He also checks the body, seeing if there is any equipment, paper, writing that could shed light on their situation.

Afterward, Hern does his best to lift some of the material that Lydran points out. If you had a whip, Chelaxian, it would be like we were back home, Hern sneers, but he still grabs the objects that Lydran points out.

Heal:1d20 + 1 ⇒ (16) + 1 = 17


Male Half-Elf HP 7/7, AC-12/T-12/FF-10, F+0/R+2/W+3, Init+2, Per+2

Lydran frowns at Hern as he stuffs a coil of rope into his pack.

"Is now truly the time for your bitterness, slip? Need I remind you of our circumstances, or point out the ruin we will come to if we begin to turn on one another? Whatever presumptions you've made about my heritage, I'd caution you to abandon them now - such assumptions are the currency of fools. If you insist on playing to stereotypes, though, then by all means, keep it up, and I shall show you the kind of scars that hellfire can truly inflict."


Both the bodies show great abuse, the cook with is having been broken in half and Alton a multitude of injuries.

As Lydran checks the body of the cook he finds marks on the neck of the man, two great punture wounds as if the man were killed by a vampire or one of the similar bloodsuckers though the discoloration around these marks suggest envenoming as if the man were bitten by a great serpent. As Hern checks the body of Alton he finds two sets of wounds, marks caused by blade, gained in battle judging by their locations, which have already begun to scab over and a series of sting marks most likely caused by the creature that was scrabbling at the door.


Male Halfling Rogue 1

Hern points out the wounds on the body of Alton. What do you all make of these? It appears that Alton was involved in some sort of sword fight and then clashed with that thing that you all killed back there. What happened to his partner in the fight, though?

Not sure what order things are happening here. I suppose it doesn't matter all that much.

After Lydran's outburst, Hern will smile, saying Your concern for our collective welfare would be much more believable if you would pick something up, rather than just barking orders. But the dramatic poses are entertaining, I'll give you that.


I generally only worry about "turns" when it comes to combat or other situations when the timing might matter, ransacking the ship isn't really dramatic enough for me to bother enforcing the turns order.


Male Halfling Rogue 1

No, no, of course. I meant, looking at the corpses versus packing up supplies versus insulting each other. (Sorry Lydran. It's not me, it's the grumpy halfling with a chip on his shoulder)


Ignore the dumb GM misunderstanding his players, nothing to see here :P Honestly though I'd just presume the sniping is going on in between the collecting of gear and quick examinations of the corpses.


Male Half-Orc Druid 1 560 xp

fugg thinks smart people should not speak when they can't get along. Only dumb people know words useless, you have problems say with fists, if problems are big speak with blades. Fugg says to no one inpaticular as he picks up scattered equipment.Fugg worry bout gettin off ship. You continue speak and stay here, less Fugg must hunt.


Male Half-Elf HP 7/7, AC-12/T-12/FF-10, F+0/R+2/W+3, Init+2, Per+2

Lydran frowns as he examines the cook and waves the others over, completely forgetting about his pissing match with Hern. "Over here. Someone who knows poisons may want to take a look at this... The cook was bitten about the neck - two puncture wounds with some discoloration. But look at them! Maybe my eyesight is failing me early, but I don't seem to recall anything with fangs that large being on board the ship... Do you think it could have been those lobstrosoties?"

Don't worry about it, Hern. I love a good PC rivalry (provided we never resort to blows), and I understand that it's all in-character.


Aldon chuckles at the exchange between Lydran and Hern while he helps gathers gear to bring back to camp.

" Gentleman, please, the task at hand? you're both making enough noise to bring a whole herd of those beasts on us. Lets make haste and get back to dry land. Nother left we can do for these poor souls."


Male Halfling Rogue 1

As Hern finishes packing up the supplies he can carry, he grabs the bottle of brandy, "What shall we do with this? It appears at least one of our fellow castaways has a bit of dependence on the drink. Shall we bring her a present, or force her to confront her addictions?"


Male Half-Elf HP 7/7, AC-12/T-12/FF-10, F+0/R+2/W+3, Init+2, Per+2

"Ration it to her. Now is not the time to address poor habits, and if she truly needs to crawl into a bottle to function, we may well need to weaken her sobriety, but I'd prefer not to have her drain the whole thing in an evening." He approaches Hern and examines the bottle for a moment. "And I suppose a round of stiff drinks could serve to soothe everyone's nerves a bit."


Getting back to camp takes a while due to all the new kit the salvage team is carrying but eventually you make it back unmolested. Your fellow survivors seem a little more alive and aware as you make it back with Jask obviously organizing them to do a few things about the camp.

The afternoon rains begin shortly after you get back, heavy raindrops falling with heavy plops from the skies above providing relief from the humidity finally. Judging from the last few days of the trip aboard the Jenivere the rains will probably continue until a short while before dawn. With the last of dusk's sunlight fading the survivors have a look through the recovered gear.


Male Half-Orc Druid 1 560 xp

Me set traps, want meat for breakfast
Fugg heads into the edge of the forest with Bashhorn to set a few traps within the first thirty feet or so of the jungle, at least 200 yards away from camp.

Survival:1d20 + 8 ⇒ (13) + 8 = 21

Confident that his traps are set properly Fugg will return to the camp, and relax until the morning when he will check traps.

Throughout the evening Fugg will create water and make sure everyone has plenty of it to drink.

I'm trying to make him come off as single minded, one thing at a time tunnel vision. I hope it's not too annoying. ;)


Male Half-Elf HP 7/7, AC-12/T-12/FF-10, F+0/R+2/W+3, Init+2, Per+2

Do any of the NPC survivors have any gear of their own, or was it all lost during the shipwreck, and if so, how are they equipped?


Taking a look around Lydran notices that the other survivors have collected their gear from the beach while the salvage party was busy exploring the Jenivere.

Aerys is wearing her studded leather armour, her tricorn hat and has collected her composite longbow and quiver she has sat beside her. Finally she has some ink and pens and a collection of thick books she was writing in while still aboard the Jenivere open in front of her despite the fading light.

Gelik has his, now ragged looking, nobles attire, a small spell component pouch, a journal and some ink. He has also recovered a buckler, a longsword and a shortbow with its accompanying quiver.

Ishirou is already wearing a chainshirt and has a finely crafted blade worn across his back. Jask meanwhile only has his own ragged clothing and, you guess, some acid pitted manacles. Finally Sasha has a chainshirt she hasn't put on yet, a kukri and a finely wrought rapier.


Male Half-Elf HP 7/7, AC-12/T-12/FF-10, F+0/R+2/W+3, Init+2, Per+2

Lydran grins inwardly at the sight of the other survivors suiting up. Such admirable tenacity, to recover so readily and rapidly from their ordeal! He moves to the pile salvage, his eyes dancing over the debris as wheels begin to turn in his head. "I daresay we might assemble a makeshift vessel from what we've recovered, provided we can find a suitable supply of wood..." He turns his gaze to the dense thicket at his back. "Which doesn't seem like it should be a problem. I've found these, if anyone cares to have a look at them," he produces the sea charts and offers them to anyone who cares to see them. "Maybe we can locate a nearby landmass that a small raft could reach? I suppose we ought to let Fugg catch his beasts, though. Some fresh food would be pleasant, and it couldn't hurt to know more about the local fauna before we attempt to brave the jungle or set up a more fortified camp." With that, he takes a seat by the fire and begins looking over the captain's logs, seeing what he can glean from their pages.


Fairly busy today, I'll try get a largish post in later today


Male Half-Elf HP 7/7, AC-12/T-12/FF-10, F+0/R+2/W+3, Init+2, Per+2

Lies.


The next morning you awaken early the sun coming over the horizon bright and glaring after the night of rain. The bright light quickly begins turning the puddles from the night before to steam and the sun hasn't been up for more then an hour before the humidity is again at its worst. The white sands of the beach contrast sharply with the vibrant greens of the jungle at the back of the camp and you begin wondering what manner of beasts the interior of the island might hold. Last night the smoke of shelter of the camp seems to have held off the insect population but you worry that the constant exposure to the rains and insects of the island may lead to disease.

Its still early while Gelik cooks the last of the lobstrosities to serve as breakfast when you hear a thrashing from the undergrowth nearby.


Male Half-Elf HP 7/7, AC-12/T-12/FF-10, F+0/R+2/W+3, Init+2, Per+2

Lydran looks up from his spellbook with a start, peering into the underbrush as his hands begin glowing with a faint green light.


Male Halfling Rogue 1

Hern immediately grabs his weapons and heads towards the noise, taking a circular route, looking for a place where he can get a stealthy look at whatever it is making the noise.

ooc:

Stealth: 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (11) + 12 = 23
Sorry, if I've been a bit terse these last few days. My two year old has a fever


Nearby in the underbrush Lydran spots a large lizard, some breed of monitor he doesn't recognize. It is roughly the same size as a large dog but low to the ground like a crocodile. Its scaled skin mottled a mixture of dark maroon and sandy yellow. Seeing its observer it hisses loudly and and tries to move forward straining against Fugg's snare.

ooc:


Wow, map ios way to big this time :P I'll get the size down pat soon


Reaching for Volley, takes Aim, and Fires

actions:

I cannot axcess googlelabs/docs from work, so sadly i cannot see that map, would you be willing to post a SS of it on flickr?

Attack roll
1d20 + 7 ⇒ (18) + 7 = 25

dmg
1d10 ⇒ 5

Add +1/+1 if within thirdy feet, and +2/+2 if considered an Animal subtype


Male Half-Elf HP 7/7, AC-12/T-12/FF-10, F+0/R+2/W+3, Init+2, Per+2

"Such a charming little island," Lydran hisses as he forms yet another dart of acid. I believe I'll build a summer home here." He launches his vitriolic projectile at the lizard, then withdraws back to the campfire, hoping to keep it between himself and this creature.

ooc:
Lydran launches an Acid Dart and then moves behind the campfire.
Initiative: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (6) + 2 = 8
Attack Roll: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (1) + 2 = 3
Damage Roll: 1d6 ⇒ 6


No problem, the Shiv Dragon is at F7
The Snare, Flickr

101 to 150 of 203 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Gullinbursti's Serpent's Skull All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.