Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
About Paizo Messageboards News Paizo Blog Help/FAQ
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

GM Snorter's Rise of the Runelords Campaign


Play-by-Post

51 to 100 of 1,931 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>

Male Human (Chelaxian) Fighter Lvl 2

Gallus nods as Mattie speaks the half smile still creases his lips. " Well met Mistress Mattie. You do speak the truth of things as lies can often tell you more then truths. I doubt you are the simple gal you claim to be as you are far from home and traveling in most unusual company."
Standing he nods towards the barbarian his eyes tightening ever so slightly. "Greetings Shoanti. It would appear we have arrived to late for a meal? I guess we should be off to the cathedral I for one am looking forward to see a ceremony that does not end with some sort of human sacrifice." With that Gallus takes up his glaive and follows the others heading to the square.


M Dwarf Ranger 1
Gallus Domitus wrote:
"I guess we should be off to the cathedral I for one am looking forward to see a ceremony that does not end with some sort of human sacrifice."

"And that," harumphs Harsk, "is why I make it a point never to set foot in Cheliax."


male gnome cloistered cleric 3 [ HP: 19/23 | AC: 14 T: 11 FF: 14 | F: +5 R: +1 W: +6 | Init: +1 Perc: +2 | Effects: ]

"Not all Cheliaxian religious ceremonies end in human sacrafice. Some are content with the enslavement of the souls of the participants." Ensu corrects his Cheliaxian friend. "Mere human sacrifice is the nicest thing that is done at those ceremonies. There are far worse deeds done at them."


Prodigal Harsk wrote:
What can you tell us of the Festival? Anything you'd recommend?"

The half orc grins as he speaks, "Finding a comfortable tree to lean against while she sherif speaks. Good man but not much of a crowd pleaser."

He turns to the wizard, offering a thickly calloused hand, "You can call me Grog. Good to meet you Ezren. I'm a bit of a people watcher myself, so I can point out some of the more interesting folk our little town has to offer. First of all, there's one more half orc in town, though he's a bit of a surly pri..." Grog continues talking as he joins the group, slowly making their way to the festival propper. Before leaving he snatches up his pack and tosses a few coins onto the bar.


Ezren

Spoiler:
From talking to local passers by on the way to the church, apart from what you already know, you learn simply that the locals are looking on todays events as a new beginning after the 'Late Unpleasentness' of recent times.


Male Human (Taldan) Wizard 1

Spoiler:
So, to clarify, I can speak pretty freely regarding local rumors, customs, etc with my knowledge’s based on what is listed in the players guide? I just do not want to overstep my bounds knowledge wise in character while utilizing Ezren's academic training.


As you all make your way through Sandpoint toward the churh, you pass several notable establishments that catch your eye. Amongst these are the Sandpoint Theatre, the Carpenters Guild and the Grocers Hall. Two large red furred mastiff dogs lounge in front of a smithy, called strangely enough The Red Dog Smithy. As you near the church, the crowds grow larger until at last you find yourselves in a large open square in front of what must be the largest building in Sandpoint.Obviously of new construction, the cathedral would be impressive in its own right, even without the buntings and banners that adorn it. The structure is constructed from both stone and glass.

The square before the cathedral quickly seems to be filling as locals and travelers arrive, and several merchant tents featuring food, clothes, local crafts, and souvenirs are there to meet them. Vendors carts are dotted around and you also notice a large wooden stage in front of the cathedral, with several seats and a podium for speakers to address the crowd from.


Ezren Tempest wrote:
** spoiler omitted **

Ezren

Spoiler:
Yes thats fine and to be honest will help to add flavour. Go ahead

Male Human (Taldan) Wizard 1

Ezren wanders down the street allowing the others to guide their path so he can simply watch... and listen. He casualy intercedes himself in minor conversation here and there with local passersby, his language shifting from Taldan to Varrisian as needed, always leaving them with a small bow as he goes. Snippets of conversation regarding ghosts, monsters and goblins can be heard along with the trifelilng snippets of day to day gossip...

He turns after chatting with one fellow, "Did you know that rumor tells that there is a fish, a giant Red Snapper called Murdermaw to be exact, large enough to bite a boat in half swimming in the bay." He glances down toward Ensu and Mattie, "I hazard to say it could swallow you two up whole, that is granting that the story is true. Though I would like to investigate given the time. The species of Red Snapper in these parts should simply not grow to anywhere near such proportions. Though I do say that myth and legend typicaly has some basis in fact." With that he drifts back into his casual and fleeting conversations with the locals.

Eventualy he walks back up beside Grog, "There is one story in particular that interests me. The Chelaxian's comment about his homelands... practices made me think of it actualy." He pauses a moment before continuing, lowering his voice a bit, "What can you tell us of Chopper?" He points out to the west and north, toward the location known as Chopper's Isle. "It was shortly after his... demise, that the old church burned, yes? I have heard more than one claim that his ghosts resides there still."


Grog makes a strang grunting noise which you figure might be a chuckle. "New folk always ask about Chopper, always in whisper too. Haven't been to his island yet, but I'd be happy to go up that way with a group who knows how to handle themselves." He looks around the assortment of warriors and adventurers. "You just might due come to think of it. As for what I can tell you about him...it's not much. Rumor sais the good dour sherif was there when he went down. If we go off playing around on the isle we should probably get with helmlock and pick his brain a little."


male gnome cloistered cleric 3 [ HP: 19/23 | AC: 14 T: 11 FF: 14 | F: +5 R: +1 W: +6 | Init: +1 Perc: +2 | Effects: ]

"You can investigate Murdermaw. My interest is the old light." Ensu comments as they arrive at the cathedral square, at which point he immediately starts inquiring about where to find the local clergy, resisting the temptation to explore or examine anything else until he had properly introduced himself to his professional brethren.


Miss Mattie continues to make small talk with the poeple in the room for a while. As people start getting up to join festivities she says.

"Well that booze went straight to my head. I really need some grub and fresh air. I'll see y'all outside."

What Mattie wishes to do:
Mattie stealthily slips out the door and makes for the stable. She checks on the pony. "Well, my friend...I still gotta find a name fer ye. You wanna come to the celebration with me?. Maybe on your back I wont be stuck tryin' to look over all the big folks, eh?"

Mattie grabs a hunk of her rations to chew on and takes a swig of water, then she saddles up the little horse, leaving the saddlebags behind. Then they trot out into the sunshine to explore the town and see where the others are heading.
Mattie keeps an eye out for any kind of thievery, swindling or other pickpocketing rackets that might be happening at the time in this time.


Male Human (Chelaxian) Fighter Lvl 2

Gallus follows the group down the street with the ease of someone practiced at moving through a crowd. He makes idle conversation with anyone who is nearby but his eyes are constantly searching the area on the lookout for anything unusual.

Perception 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (3) + 2 = 5


Glancing over at the birds Galstok mutters under his breadth with a slight grimace,

In Shoanti:
"Birds are meant to fly free not locked up in a cage."

Gallus Domitus wrote:
Standing he nods towards the barbarian his eyes tightening ever so slightly. "Greetings Shoanti. It would appear we have arrived to late for a meal? I guess we should be off to the cathedral I for one am looking forward to see a ceremony that does not end with some sort of human sacrifice."

Galstok bristles at this putting one hand at the talon like blade at his waist looking like ready to do violence until Ensu gives his explaination.

Then he looks a tad sheepish as he realizes his misunderstanding, still he watches Gallus out of the corner of his eye.

On the way to the cathedral Galstok is more then happy to regale Ezren with tales of Shriikirri-Quah prowess.

At the mention of Chopper, he stops and ask; "Who is the Chopper fellow? This is not the first mention I have heard since getting here."


Gallus Domitus wrote:

Gallus follows the group down the street with the ease of someone practiced at moving through a crowd. He makes idle conversation with anyone who is nearby but his eyes are constantly searching the area on the lookout for anything unusual.

Perception 1d20+2

Gallus

Spoiler:
Nothing out of the ordinary

Male Human Bard 1

Up by the stage you notice a crowd has begun to gather. You see a human male in his early 20's, with reddish brown hair pulled back into a ponytail. A well dressed man, with the looks, build, and confident, easy going demanor that makes women swoon and tells you that this isn't his first time in front of a crowd.
As you get closer you can hear his voice, it does have quite a drawl to it, "so which hand is it in son?"
A young boy points to his closed right hand.
"Are you sure? Tell you what, if you're right I'll make the coin silver. If you're wrong you have to do what your mom says for the rest of the festival as soon as she says so and without any back talk. Deal?"
"Deal", says the boy.
The man opens his hand to reveal..nothing. "I guess it's your mothers lucky day", he says with a wink at the woman standing behind the boy.
The man then turns to the boy standing next to the first boy. "Your turn young man if you'd care to make the same wager."
You noticed that the two boys are both rather dirty and scuffed up. Perhaps they were fighting over the sweetbread that lies in the dirt.
"Okay", says the second boy as he points to the mans closed left hand.
Once again the man opens his hand to reveal nothing. "I guess you are also in the same boat as your friend here" he says with a wink to the lady behind the second boy. "No silver or copper for you boys today."
The boys sigh and look down, while several people in the crowd chuckle. "Of course, since you both already have a copper piece you don't need any more."
"But sir", says one of the boys "we don't have any coin."
"Sure you do" says the man. He reaches behind the two boys heads into their collars. And brings back his hands to show a copper piece in each one. Both boys eyes go wide. "And I must say" continues the man, with a big smile "you hide them well." At this several people applaud, laugh or both.
The man cups his hands together and peers into them. "But wait, these aren't copper" he opens his hands to reveal a silver piece in each one "they're silver".
At this, applause erupts from the crowd.
The man then says, "best to let you mothers hang onto these, so you don't forget you have them" and with a wink, he hands a silver coin to each of the women. "No more fighting now lads, and if you do as your mother's bid, you might each get a sweet treat".
With that, the man steps back, bows to his audience, which has gotten rather large, and says "my name is Kendrick Loreseeker. Everyone enjoy the swallowtail festival".


Several important looking individuals start to make their way onto the platform, to cheers from the gathered crowd.


Male Human (Taldan) Wizard 1

The perception check of a true warrior! Of course where would we be if fighters and warriors had decent percpetion checks? We'd never be able to sneak past guard! lol

"The Old Light does an interesting destination for exploration make Ensu, of that I do not disagree. I would be remiss if I did not take a look around the ruin before I leave Sandpoint." He gazes out to the west to the remains of what must have been a grand structure in ages past. "For now though, let us turn out attention to more immidiate sights. I doubt the ruin is going anywhere."

He then responds to Galstok's question regarding Chopper, "Well, if my recolection is correct it was some five years ago. Sandpoint was subjected to a month long string of murders. Eventualy it was discovered to be a local artisan." He pauses a moment as if in thought before proceeding, "His name, however, eludes me... perhaps Grog knows. At any rate, he was captured by the local sheriff and then killed while attempting to escape. A rather grissly smear on what has been, to my knowlege, a rather peaceful existance for Sandpoint."

As he finishes his summation of the vilanous Chopper Ezren takes note of a true stree magician. He pauses to obverve the lad... to ascertain if it is merely slight of hand or true magic employed in his prestidigitation.

Perception, 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (18) + 2 = 20, to notice any hand tricks

I do not wish to actualy cast a spell, but would instead attempt to utilize my Knowlege Arcana to Identify a spell effect that is in place (DC is 20 + spell level, I am assuming 0)
Knowledge Arcana, 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (20) + 8 = 28

Edit: I have simply been using the spoiler tag to keep from cluttering the posts with numbers and such, but in this case it seems more prudent to allow it to clutter as the DM does not know if the Bard is using sleight of hand or prestidigitation. ;)


Ezren

Spoiler:
Ezren presumes that by the looks of the simple nature of the trick, it was probably a very skilled trick of the hand. (Since Kendrick hasnt said either way i'm assuming that it was sleight of hand as his skill is quite high in this).


male gnome cloistered cleric 3 [ HP: 19/23 | AC: 14 T: 11 FF: 14 | F: +5 R: +1 W: +6 | Init: +1 Perc: +2 | Effects: ]

"I believe the name of the artisan was Chopper, hence the name 'Chopper's Island.' But then the name could have been Edward and they just thought Chopper sounded more romantic. Might be interesting to visit if I have the time, but not really a priority for me." Ensu doesn't seem at all worried about discussing the ghost in a normal tone, but than he does have the advantage of being able to deal with them on fairly equal terms. He also doesn't seem the least bit afraid of employing sarcasm. "I see the entertainment has started up." Ensu comments quietly, seeing Kendrik's performance on the stage. "I do hope he realizes he needs to get off the stage once the ceremony starts. I've seen some performers think they were the whole purpose for the ceremony."


Male Human (Taldan) Wizard 1
Ensu wrote:
"I believe the name of the artisan was Chopper, hence the name 'Chopper's Island.' But then the name could have been Edward and they just thought Chopper sounded more romantic. Might be interesting to visit if I have the time, but not really a priority for me." Ensu doesn't seem at all worried about discussing the ghost in a normal tone, but than he does have the advantage of being able to deal with them on fairly equal terms. He also doesn't seem the least bit afraid of employing sarcasm. "I see the entertainment has started up." Ensu comments quietly, seeing Kendrik's performance on the stage. "I do hope they told him he needs to get off the stage once the ceremony starts."

"I believe Chopper was, most likely, a moniker given to the killer before they even knew his identity. Probably in relation to his method of killing his victims... at any rate, we should probably take note as it seems some of the town’s local leadership are making ready to speak."


M Dwarf Ranger 1
Fraust wrote:
The half orc grins as he speaks, "Finding a comfortable tree to lean against while she sherif speaks. Good man but not much of a crowd pleaser."

"Wonderful," growls Harsk with a roll of the eyes. "I'm not much for speeches, even from those who are good at making 'em. Hopefully, he'll keep it short at least."

Along the streets of Sandpoint, Harsk keeps a sharp eye out, especially making note of the location of the Red Dog Smithy. Always a good place to mark, never know when I may need a new axeblade.

Ezren Tempest wrote:
He then responds to Galstok's question regarding Chopper, "Well, if my recolection is correct it was some five years ago. Sandpoint was subjected to a month long string of murders. Eventualy it was discovered to be a local artisan." He pauses a moment as if in thought before proceeding, "His name, however, eludes me... perhaps Grog knows. At any rate, he was captured by the local sheriff and then killed while attempting to escape. A rather grissly smear on what has been, to my knowlege, a rather peaceful existance for Sandpoint."

In a low voice, Harsk eyes the crowd and mutters, "Ezren, it may be best to keep your voice down. The locals may not want all their dirty laundry aired out so publically on a festival day such as this. It best seems a time for new beginnings, eh?"


male gnome cloistered cleric 3 [ HP: 19/23 | AC: 14 T: 11 FF: 14 | F: +5 R: +1 W: +6 | Init: +1 Perc: +2 | Effects: ]

"New beginnings indeed. I understand they made sure to incorporate fire protection into their new cathedral, so they seem to have already made a good start." Ensu looks for a shady place on higher ground so that he can actually see the stage once the crowd fills in.


Male Human (Taldan) Wizard 1

Taking Harsk's words for what they are Ezren sighs, "I do tend to speak sometimes without thinking of such things. I deal in knowledge and state it plainly without the diplomats gift for subtlety I am afraid." He glances around at the crowd and at the new cathedral. Even though he holds little value for the gods it is dedicated to he cannot help but marvel at the human ingenuity to build such a structure in a place as remote as this. "You are correct Harsk, it is a time of new beginings for these people." With that he settles in to listen to the coming speaches.


Male Human Bard 1

I simply would have taken 10, so it would have given Kendrick a 17 on Slight of Hand

Kendrick scans the gathered crowd looking for anyone that he thinks might be a lead to some of the ruins he heard of around here; perception 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (17) + 5 = 22,while appearing to focus on the stage; bluff 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (13) + 8 = 21


There is the loud knocking of a wooden hammer on the podium to get the crowds attention, and then a woman with a relatively young face but already greying hair walks to the front of the stage, She smiles at the crowd, holding her hands up for quiet. Judging by her robe of office and golden chain, you take this to be Mayoress Kendra Deverin.

"Good morning Sandpoint, and what a fine first day od Autumn morn it is too. I recognise many of you standing here, and I hope to know those that I don't a lot better after todays proceedings. Our little town has always been welcoming to visitors and as such I extend the hand of friendship to each and every one of you here today.

Why, even our one and only tanner, Mr Larz Rovanky, has managed to tear himself away from his work to be here and greet our new friends, so that must be a good sign!"

At this, the crowd laugh and cheer, many of them good naturedly slapping a glowering, wild haired, middle aged man on the back.

"Now, without further ado, I will pass you on to our good keeper of the peace, Sheriff Belor Hemlock."

At this Mayor Devrin returns to her seat, shaking the hand of the Sheriff as he stand to speak.

Sheriff Hemlock is a sturdy and dour looking man, obviously of nomadic
Shoanti origin, judging by the tatoo of a stylised eye on his left cheek. He coughs loudly before speaking.

"I don't need to remind any of you that I expect everyone to behave today. No stupid stunts or the like. Remember, we have a lot of children around today. Also, be careful around the bonfire tonight. I shouldn't need to remind any of you of how dangerous fire can be. And on that note I'd like to request a minutes silence in memory of those that lost their lives in that terrible fire of five years ago. So please turn your thoughts to the memory of Father Tobyn and his daughter Nualia, who both tragically lost their lives in the terrible accident during the Late Unpleasentness."

With that he quietly bows his head. The crowd follow his lead and a hush gathers over the square, marred only by the occasional giggle of a child or bark of a dog.

"Thankyou. I will now hand you over to Mr Cyrdak Drokkus. My appologies..."

A large waisted and well dressed man steps up to the podium. He waves his many ringed hand at the Sheriff, letting out a high pitched laugh.

"Oh Belor, you are such a cheeky young man. You know you love me!"

(Sheriff Hemlock shakes his head and retakes his seat)

Cyrdak turns to the crowd. "Hello everyone. Are you all having a good time? For those of you who dont know me, I'm Cyrdak Drokkus, master showman and owner of our beautiful new theatre. As you all know, we wouldnt have a new church if it wasnt for all the wonderful donations that we have received from the local businesses as well as the many charity performances that I have managed to arrange at the theatre. So I think you should all give youselves a hearty slap on the back and a big cheer. well done everyone."

(Cyrdak then goes into a ten minute long thankyou speech paying homage to everyone that has helped, to which in the end most of the crowd start jeering him and shouting 'get on with it'.)

"Oh well, enoughs enough, Must go, but before I do I'd like to invite everyone to stop by the Sandpoint Theater tomorrow evening to check out my new production of “The Harpy’s Curse,” starring in the lead role of Avisera the harpy queen, none other than the famous Magnimarian diva Allishanda!"

Cyrdak steps down and retakes his seat as the figure of Father Abstalar Zantus steps forward. The priest of Desna bows before the crowd.

"Thankyou every one of you for making the effort to attend today. I'm not one for making speeches, especially when so many wonderful words have already been said. We will have the swallow ceremony in an hour, just before lunch and the the consecration will be held at dusk. Please enjoy yourselves and take care. Now without further ado, I declare this Swallowtail festival open!"

A cheer goes up from the crowd and everyone starts to move off to their chosen vendors, stalls or entertainments.


Kendrick Loreseeker wrote:

I simply would have taken 10, so it would have given Kendrick a 17 on Slight of Hand

Kendrick scans the gathered crowd looking for anyone that he thinks might be a lead to some of the ruins he heard of around here; perception 1d20+5,while appearing to focus on the stage; bluff 1d20+8

Kendrick

Spoiler:
Kendrick does see an old balding man sat away from the crowd, who seems to be paying no attention to the gathering and has his head in a book and a quill pen in his hand.

Male Human Bard 1

"Diva huh?", thinks Kendrick as he non-chelauntly walks towards the man he noticed earlier, "might have to give that a look-see".
As he gets next to the old man Kendrick says, "Well met good sir. My name is Kendrick, and you are?"


Kendrick Loreseeker wrote:

"Diva huh?", thinks Kendrick as he non-chelauntly walks towards the man he noticed earlier, "might have to give that a look-see".

As he gets next to the old man Kendrick says, "Well met good sir. My name is Kendrick, and you are?"

"...being bothered by someone who should mind their own business when they can see that this good sir is busy. What do you want? "


Male Human (Taldan) Wizard 1

Hmmm... Glad I saw your post AJ, I was just about to respond to Kendrick. I suppose he was talking to the "other" old man in the crowd. lol


Male Human (Chelaxian) Fighter Lvl 2

Gallus stands near to Ezren using his glaive to lean against. As he watches the performance he listens intently to the discussion between Ezren and Ensu. Leaning towards Ezren "When did all this trouble including the fire occur?"

After the speeches Gallus turns his attention towards checking the booths for something tasty to eat. His instinctively continues to scan the crowd looking for anyone causing trouble.

Perception: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (15) + 2 = 17

Ezren wrote:
The perception check of a true warrior! Of course where would we be if fighters and warriors had decent percpetion checks? We'd never be able to sneak past guard! lol

Hurts but it is so true and my background is that of a guard how sad is that


Male Human (Taldan) Wizard 1

Ezren stands in the crowd leaning on his cane as Gallus adresses him. He leans in close, keeping his voice down so as not to disturb the proceedings, "Well, it was shortly after the... incident with the artisan, so just under five years I would say." He gazes up at the building again, shielding his eyes from the sun. "An impressive structure wouldn't you say? Though I care little for it's purpose I cannot help but appreciate it for what it is."

I have always thought Fighters should have perception as a class skill, but I digress... it is simply not meant to be. I play a Cavalier in society play who is of the Order of the Dragon and has it as a class skill. It comes in handy. ;)


male gnome cloistered cleric 3 [ HP: 19/23 | AC: 14 T: 11 FF: 14 | F: +5 R: +1 W: +6 | Init: +1 Perc: +2 | Effects: ]

Ensu will watch the speeches quietly, and as soon as he sees the padre, will take note of where he goes after the ceremony. At the first chance he gets, he will claw his way through the crowd to the padre and introduce himself. "Good day good sir, I take it you are the local clergyman here. Allow me to introduce myself. I am Ensu, traveling cleric of Nethys. I don't know if you were forewarned of my arrival or not; it is so hard to predict what the official hierarchy will or won't do when it comes to those that wander the roads looking for new discoveries."


M Dwarf Ranger 1

Harsk endures the various speeches with a modicum of good grace, but his patience is worn thin by the long-winded theater master, Cyrdak. The dwarf mutters, none too quietly "Oh, for the love of the gods, let's get this wrapped up, you great ponce of a windbag." Apparently, Harsk is not terribly interested in the finer arts.

At last, when the opening remarks have wrapped up, Harsk announces to all those nearby, "Right then, I'm off to find something to eat. Who's along with me?" Without really waiting for an answer, the dwarf moves off among the vendors' stalls to assess the available vittles.


Male Human Bard 1
A J s Dad wrote:


"...being bothered by someone who should mind their own business when they can see that this good sir is busy. What do you want? "

At that response Kendrick laughs, "Ha! Well played sir, well played indeed. I'm am looking for an person who has knowledge of Sandpoint and her history and legends. You look like an educated man so I thought that I would see if you'd be willing to share any of your knowledge of the area. Perhaps over a pint of ale?"

Diplomacy; 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (7) + 4 = 11


Male Human (Taldan) Wizard 1

Ezren watches as Ensu heads off toward the town priest. I believe I will be staying out of that particular conversation, he muses to himself as Harsk chimes in about food. "Ah, yes! Something to eat! Lead the way Harsk." With that the aged wizard snatches his cane up from the ground, not really needing it and finding it easier to navigate the crowd without deploying said cane to the ground, and follows the dwarf.


Male Human (Chelaxian) Fighter Lvl 2
Ezren wrote:

Ezren stands in the crowd leaning on his cane as Gallus adresses him. He leans in close, keeping his voice down so as not to disturb the proceedings, "Well, it was shortly after the... incident with the artisan, so just under five years I would say." He gazes up at the building again, shielding his eyes from the sun. "An impressive structure wouldn't you say? Though I care little for it's purpose I cannot help but appreciate it for what it is."

Gallus keeps his voice down as he speaks to Ezren." I myself am not for religion that could be due to the fanatical church of Asmodeus that I grew up under. When the central tenant of your church is to control and dominate others does not build up alot faith. It is a beautiful building though and it certainly seems to be making the people happy." The speeches over Gallus watches Harsk march off. "If you will e vise me my tummy is rumbling and I think I will follow Harsk as I have never known a dwarf who could not find the best food and drink" Gallus quickly trails after Harsk on the hunt for a meal his eyes scanning the various booths for food and drink.


Male Shoanti Human Barbarian 2

I just now realized I posted under wrong avatar earlier. Sorry about that.

At Ezren's answer Galstok looks a little puzzled and asks, "If the one doing the killing was captured why wasn't he put down. Even a much loved beast must be put down if it goes rapid. That's the same for man or beast. Or were they just not sure he was the right one?"

Through the speeches, Galstok starts rocking side to side eager to be moving. Towards the end he looks around hoping to see something of a little more interest then listening to someone who can't seem to say what he is trying to say.

Perception: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (12) + 5 = 17

Hearing the dwarf mention food makes stomach growl audibly and follows afterwards eager to be moving finally.

"So are there games or such at this festival as well, or is it all watching that man do some kind of performance? I can't imagine he would be able to much of a dance with all that extra fat. I doubt he could get much get his feet off the ground." With that he jumps up into the air spinning and kicking out before landing back on the ground.

Acrobatics: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (9) + 8 = 17


Mattie and her mount scoot around the perimeter of the town square taking in the scene. Everyone is out here, so she lowers her sombrero to cover her eyes a little. Its not likely that Vankaskerkin would recognise her....there were so many little brats in the Magnimar stockyards in those days. But best not take a chance. She could drift among the crowd more stealthily without the pony she realizes....but she also has a higher vantage point from the saddle.

She stops to get some food and some fruit to share with the pony. Are there any town rascals messin' about?

Perception and Knowledge checks: Does she see anything interesting?
Perception 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (17) + 7 = 24
Knowledge Local 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (13) + 4 = 17


Male Human (Taldan) Wizard 1
Galstok wrote:


At Ezren's answer Galstok looks a little puzzled and asks, "If the one doing the killing was captured why wasn't he put down. Even a much loved beast must be put down if it goes rapid. That's the same for man or beast. Or were they just not sure he was the right one?"

Ezren nods his head as Galstok mentions the putting down of rabid beasts, "Well friend in many societies it is customary to have a trial by ones peers before sentance is carried out in such matters. It is simply a way to attempt to ensure that the correct person is indeed paying for the crimes committed. It is not an infalable system by any means, but one I am quite familar with. I studied Law in my youth..." With that his voice trials off...


M Dwarf Ranger 1

"Aye, and that were a long, long time ago!" Harsk chides Ezren, trying to keep the mood light. There are some old wounds there, to be sure, if I don't mistake the old wizard's tone.


Male Human (Taldan) Wizard 1
Prodigal Harsk wrote:
"Aye, and that were a long, long time ago!" Harsk chides Ezren, trying to keep the mood light. There are some old wounds there, to be sure, if I don't mistake the old wizard's tone.

"Yes, a long, long time ago... and we do not all have the luxurary of two-hundred plus years of life expectancy." He lifts his cane and prods Harsk on. "So, get a move on... lest I die from my affliction of old age before we get a decent bite to eat!"


All those scanning the area for trouble see nothing out of the ordinary. Just the usual children playing, dogs barking at everything and nothing, young lovers hand in hand and young would-be lovers looking for private and secret corners.

You are all successful in finding food and suprisingly you soon find that all the delicasies on offer are provided free, at the expense it seems, of Sandpoint’s taverns. Each has brought its own best dishes to the festival, seeing it as a not to be missed marketing push by the taverns as much to win new customers as it is to feed a hungry crowd. It soon becomes apparent that the darling of the lunch is, once again, Ameiko Kaijitsu from the Rusty Dragon, whose remarkable curry-spiced salmon and early winterdrop mead easily overshadow the other offerings, such as the Hagfish’s lobster chowder or the White Deer’s peppercorn venison.


Kendrick Loreseeker wrote:
A J s Dad wrote:


"...being bothered by someone who should mind their own business when they can see that this good sir is busy. What do you want? "

At that response Kendrick laughs, "Ha! Well played sir, well played indeed. I'm am looking for an person who has knowledge of Sandpoint and her history and legends. You look like an educated man so I thought that I would see if you'd be willing to share any of your knowledge of the area. Perhaps over a pint of ale?"

Diplomacy; 1d20+4

"Hmmm. Well seing as the food and drink are free I dont see what I gain, but if your willing to bring it to yon table over there I'd be willing to pass the time of day with you. The names Brodert Quink and you've come to the right place for history and legends son. Now get the drinks and a selection of nibbles and I'll regail you with tales of the past of this land."


Miss Mattie wrote:

Mattie and her mount scoot around the perimeter of the town square taking in the scene. Everyone is out here, so she lowers her sombrero to cover her eyes a little. Its not likely that Vankaskerkin would recognise her....there were so many little brats in the Magnimar stockyards in those days. But best not take a chance. She could drift among the crowd more stealthily without the pony she realizes....but she also has a higher vantage point from the saddle.

She stops to get some food and some fruit to share with the pony. Are there any town rascals messin' about?

Perception and Knowledge checks: Does she see anything interesting?
Perception 1d20+7
Knowledge Local 1d20+4

Mattie

Spoiler:
Mattie sees no sign of Vanaskerkin in the crowd.

M Dwarf Ranger 1

Harsk stands under the shade of a tree, munching contentedly on yet another helping of Ameiko's curry-spiced salmon.

Catching site of Miss Mattie cantering by on her pony, the ranger calls out absently, "What is it you're prowling about for, little one? Why not come and share a spot in the shade?" Pointing to Gallus and Galstok he continues, "These big brutes won't bite...I think. Leastaways, not with stomachs full of food like this."


Male Human Bard 1
A J s Dad wrote:
"Hmmm. Well seing as the food and drink are free I dont see what I gain, but if your willing to bring it to yon table over there I'd be willing to pass the time of day with you. The names Brodert Quink and you've come to the right place for history and legends son. Now get the drinks and a selection of nibbles and I'll regail you with tales of the past of this land."

"Excellent! My name is Kendrick Loreseeker. I'll meet you at the table", says Kendrick as he hurries off to procure said items. After a couple of minutes Kendrick returns to the table, with a couple of pints of ale, some shepards pie and a loaf of bread. He quickly sets everything on the table and then pulls a journal, pen and some ink out of the pouch on his adventurers sash. "If you don't mind Brodert, I'd like to record your words. For posterities sake, of course" he says with a smile.


As the noon bell in the cathedral chimes twelve, Father Zantus and three of his acolytes wheel a large covered wagon into the square. A space is cleared before it and the good Father raises his arms to the sky.
"Legends tell of one of Desna’s avatars plummeting from the Heavens after a great battle with Lamashtu. A blind orphan nursed her avatar back to health, and to thank the child, the goddess transformed her into an immortal butterfly. In this form, the child could forever fly in the day and night, seeing all the wonders of the world. In honor of this event, our church raises swallowtail butterflies, releasing them from a netted wagon on this, the first day of Autumn in front of you, the faithful. These “children of Desna” will fill the air for the rest of the day’s singing, feasting, and storytelling."

Father Zantus lowers his arms.

"Now, let us pray. Blessed is the long road, the destination, the homeward path, and all who make
the journey. Let each dream be a bright star in the night sky of your mind, and let it light your path in the day. Do not be troubled if your dream falters, for there are countless stars in the sky and countless dreams to experience—pick a new one and change your course. Blessed be to Desna"

With that the acolytes pull back the covers from the wagon releasing the thousand children of Desna—a furious storm of a thousand swallowtail butterflies that swarm into the air in a spiraling riot of color to a great cheer from the crowd. Children rush around , madly trying to catch one of the beautiful creatures.

"I will see you all back here at sunset for the consecration of our new Cathedral. Until then - enjoy the festival."


Kendrick Loreseeker wrote:
A J s Dad wrote:
"Hmmm. Well seing as the food and drink are free I dont see what I gain, but if your willing to bring it to yon table over there I'd be willing to pass the time of day with you. The names Brodert Quink and you've come to the right place for history and legends son. Now get the drinks and a selection of nibbles and I'll regail you with tales of the past of this land."

"Excellent! My name is Kendrick Loreseeker. I'll meet you at the table", says Kendrick as he hurries off to procure said items. After a couple of minutes Kendrick returns to the table, with a couple of pints of ale, some shepards pie and a loaf of bread. He quickly sets everything on the table and then pulls a journal, pen and some ink out of the pouch on his adventurers sash. "If you don't mind Brodert, I'd like to record your words. For posterities sake, of course" he says with a smile.

Brodert smiles thinly. "Write what you will Master Loreseeker, for few will believe what I have come to theorize...I have spent over two decades of my life studying with dwarven engineers at Janderhoff and three decades as a cataloger at the Great Library of Magnimar, and I am continually baffled and enraged that my learning and obvious intelligence haven’t afforded me more notice amongst my peers. Fools they are, to a man. They do not see that which stares them in the face."

He leans back in his chair, getting comfotable.

"As you know, nearly 300 years ago, Cheliax founded the colony of Korvosa in the supposedly cursed wilderness between its northern provinces and the Lands of the Linnorm Kings. A century of bloody war with the native barbarians, the Shoanti, followed, culminating in southeastern Varisia falling to Chelish rule. Soon after, colonists and
adventure seekers of all persuasions came to populate the newly tamed land. Yet, the deeper foreigners trod inland, the greater the mysteries they discovered: endless walls of carved earth, titanic
monoliths, and writings no sage recognized. While many viewed these idols and obelisks as evidence of the land’s cursed reputation these oddities did little to halt Cheliax’s imperialistic march."

"And then the Cheliax rule ended with the death of their God."

He leans forward, staring at you intently.

"But I have found those who built these vast ruins. Few know what mysterious people once ruled these lands, their towering monuments and incredible architectural feats the sole records of an age of power and wonder. Yet, ask the native Varisians of the past and the monoliths that litter their land and only the cold dread in their eyes will answer."

"Well my friend, I for one can shed some light on this dark and ancient time. More than 11,000 years ago, a King called Xin established a mighty empire. At its height, the Empire of Thassilon covered an area more than a thousand miles wide, from the oceans to soaring mountains,
over deserts and along rivers—a region vast in scope and natural riches."

"I have been studying ancient Thassilonian ruins for the past several years and has recently become interested with the Old Light here in Sandpoint. No one believes my theories but I believe that the tower
was not as many believe it to be, a simple lighthouse. No, I believe that it was once a war machine capable of spewing fire to a range of more than a mile. And one day I will have my proof."

He shifts uneasily in his chair, as if wary of who may overhear him.

"It is my belief that the Shoanti barbarian tribes of the Storval Plateau as well as the native Varisian people are descendents of this once great empire. Barbarian tales, passed on by storytellers for thousands of years, remember these lost people as the Azghat, a larger-than-life pantheon of war-bringers and punishers of the dishonorable. The Varisians remember the rulers of Thassilon as demons and speak
of them only in hushed tones."

"I believe that the wizards of this lost Thassilon empire built massive tombs, enormous magical constructs, and staggering monuments that survive today, mute testimonies of a mysterious age long past. Many of these monuments still exist, built to an inhuman scale, as befits the works of giants . For all of them, their meaning and true purpose is lost to me, but I believe that the Irespan in Magnimar is the remains of one of these constructs."

"Why Thassilon fell remains a mystery, but I have my theories, but for now I choose to keep these to myself."

"Now, has that perked your interest?"


male gnome cloistered cleric 3 [ HP: 19/23 | AC: 14 T: 11 FF: 14 | F: +5 R: +1 W: +6 | Init: +1 Perc: +2 | Effects: ]

Ensu will try to push his way close to the wagon, and as soon as the ceremony is over, attempt once more to introduce himself to the local clergy so that he can get the official business out of the way, and get onto the interesting stuff the festival had to offer. Drat and bother them stuffy bureaucrats. They told me I would be expected, and apparently someone dropped the ball in sending the message ahead yet again. How am I supposed to get anything done when I am stuck doing their job half the time?

51 to 100 of 1,931 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / GM Snorter's Rise of the Runelords Campaign All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.