Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
About Paizo Messageboards News Paizo Blog Help/FAQ
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

An Open Letter to Paizo: Thank You


Compatible Products from Other Publishers

1 to 50 of 125 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | next > last >>

An Open Letter to Paizo: Thank You

Over at the Rite Designs blog.

President, Jon Brazer Enterprises

Jon Brazer Enterprises would like to sign this statement and give a whole hearted "Thank You!" to Paizo as well.


Paizo just proves once again when you do good work and treat your customers fairly, people will take care of you. To tell you the truth, LPJ Design working relationship with Paizo has been better then some of my previous personal dating relationships. Thank you for treating me more like friend then "another body" in the masses.


4 Winds Fantasy Gaming wholeheartedly agrees with this Open Letter.


Pathfinder Modules Subscriber

*applause*

-TG


Bravo!

This reminds me of THIS SCENE

(Yes, I know how ironic it is to post it with this avatar picture ;-))

Publisher, Dreamscarred Press

I absolutely agree with this.

Dreamscarred Press's total revenues so far in 2011 (including checks received in January for December sales, since fiscally, they count as 2011 revenue) have already surpassed my goals for the year.

Let me restate that:

Our total revenues so far in 2011 (as of the first week of March) have already surpassed the sales goals I had for the entire year of 2011.

Paizo spotlighting third party products on their blog, supporting physical products within consignment, and having an atmosphere of respect and of fostering creativity has revitalized my passion for publishing.

Qadira Contributor; Publisher, Kobold Press; RPG Superstar Judge

I'll happily join the chorus: Paizo's support for third-party publishers is excellent, and much appreciated.

Kobold Quarterly and Open Design will continue to support Pathfinder with adventures, sourcebooks, and magazines.

Paizo Employee Modules Overlord

I already wieghed in elsewhere, but yes. Paizo is great with its 3pp support, and Rite has done a wonderful job of explaining why.

Andoran

I'll certainly jump happily on the bandwagon!

Paizo deserves all the thanks and praise in the world for the wonderful way they embrace third party publishers!


Marc Radle wrote:
Paizo deserves all the thanks and praise in the world for the wonderful way they embrace third party publishers!

+1


I hate to put sour grapes into the bowl... but not everything is peachy with Paizo. For one, I dislike how they play favourites on the store blog. Headless Hydra Games have not had an endorsement in over a year, and we've created lots of great PFRPG products. Certain companies can piss in a bowl and get it on the store blog.

- Axel

Cheliax

Pathfinder Comics Subscriber; Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Modules, Roleplaying Game Subscriber

Brek I would say it is more Paizo adds people in the store blog as they get attention. That seems to be the trend. Seems the more active the 3pp is on the forums the more often they get added to the blog. By active I mean posting about their products, posting about uncoming stuff etc.


I would say that I am fairly active on the forums, and I've been here since the beginning.


Lisa explains it pretty well in THIS POST about what does and doesn't make the store blog. Our stuff has not been on the store blog more than it has been on it. I'm not complaining about it though, as the primary job of Paizo is to sell Paizo products. The fact they include some of us in the store blog from time to time is an honor and a privilege.

Andoran

Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber
Brekkil wrote:

I hate to put sour grapes into the bowl... but not everything is peachy with Paizo. For one, I dislike how they play favourites on the store blog. Headless Hydra Games have not had an endorsement in over a year, and we've created lots of great PFRPG products. Certain companies can piss in a bowl and get it on the store blog.

- Axel

I remember some-time within the last year or so one of the third party publishers (can’t remember which one) posting a similar concern. Lisa posted to give a personal apology and within a week or so that publisher had their products previewed on the store blog.

I’d humbly suggest that if someone feels they’ve been forgotten or neglected they might want to give Paizo a nudge and a reminder, rather than to ‘put sour grapes in the bowl’ (long time posters will recall how much we like round objects being put into or taken out of a bowl) or take digs at other publishers products. Just a thought, feel free to take it or leave it.

RPG Superstar 2012 Top 32

Brekkil wrote:
I would say that I am fairly active on the forums, and I've been here since the beginning.

I wouldn't say I'm an incredibly active poster, but I'm an active lurker, and I've got to say...while I've seen the other 3p people post, I don't remember ever seeing you post anything. At all.

I might suggest simply stepping up your posting and promotion, myself.


Brekkil wrote:
Certain companies can piss in a bowl and get it on the store blog.

Not exactly endearing. That might have cost you more customers here than a simple request of "Could you put us on the blog? We think our stuff is great!"

I'm not saying that you have to beg or anything.

But to end this on a lighter note:

jeremy.smith wrote:

I absolutely agree with this.

Dreamscarred Press's total revenues so far in 2011 (including checks received in January for December sales, since fiscally, they count as 2011 revenue) have already surpassed my goals for the year.

Let me restate that:

Our total revenues so far in 2011 (as of the first week of March) have already surpassed the sales goals I had for the entire year of 2011.

Paizo spotlighting third party products on their blog, supporting physical products within consignment, and having an atmosphere of respect and of fostering creativity has revitalized my passion for publishing.

Loved Psionics Unleashed. I'd personally have gone with mindblades as a feat chain, but your version is good, too, as it adds more to the class so it feels more worthwhile to have the class.

Other stuff looked good, too.

I bought it over the Paizo store as PDF (printed it out myself and used the thermo-bound it).

I prefer getting stuff over the Paizo site instead of RPG now. All the eggs in one basket and all that.


I wasn't going for endearing, I was simply voicing a concern of mine. If that gives me one less customer... well, so be it.

- Axel


Brekkil wrote:

I hate to put sour grapes into the bowl... but not everything is peachy with Paizo. For one, I dislike how they play favourites on the store blog. Headless Hydra Games have not had an endorsement in over a year, and we've created lots of great PFRPG products. Certain companies can piss in a bowl and get it on the store blog.

- Axel

Axel,

I can only relate my experience with the blog and compare it to what I know about Headless Hydra.

I did not start getting Store Blog time until I had a consistent schedule of releases that Paizo could set their watch by (every tuesday, the 1st of the month plus the 15th).

Comparably the last time Headless Hydra put out a for profit PFRPG product that I remember (and its very cool product) is Eldritch Secrets back in October, prior to that it was Trail of Poison (which uses my favorite cartographer) and I think that was over a year ago.

So, In the last year you have put out one for profit product that is specific to PFRPG? There are over 750 3rd party products PFRPG products and more companies joining all the time With a absolute minimum of 3 a week (SGG, LPjr, and RIP). And when the store blog posts 75% of the time it is covering 4 (or 8 if its a round up) products at a time. *Shrug*

Just try to remember that the store blog is scheduled and that paizo needs a schedule to follow in order to blog about your product.


Well, I have published other products than Eldritch Secrets (and had a big sale), but perhaps this is simply about knowing the Paizo schedule and not the Paizo people... if so, I stand corrected.

- Axel


I'm definitely on board with giving Paizo a big "thank you" and a hug; well said, Steve! The openness and support from Paizo's staff concerning any questions/issues I've had in the past has been outstanding.

As far as Axel's concerns go, Tricky Owlbear rarely makes the store blog in a significant way either BUT we don't release product at the same pace as other 3PPs either. The fact that Paizo highlights any publisher though is good for all of us in the long run, methinks. It not only validates our presence here but also drives traffic to us. If a Paizo-only customer reads about a cool product from Rite Publishing (for example) and then buys/enjoys it, he or she will be much more willing to check out the catalogs of other 3PPs for stuff.

If you want a product to make the store blog, I really don't know if there's a magic formula to do so. But at the end of the day, it's not Paizo's job to track every third party release and crow about it. You just have to, if you'll pardon the analogy, roll the dice and hope you score a critical hit. :)

[NOTE: The tone of this post is not in any way hostile. I adore Axel and think all PF consumers should seriously consider checking out what Headless Hydra (and every 3PP) has to offer!]

Paizo Employee CEO

We know that it can be frustrating to not get notice in the store blog. There are only so many slots and we have to balance various types of products so there are things for folks who don't buy PDFs or for that matter, don't play Pathfinder.

That said, this thread has got me to thinking, and I am working with Jeff and Vic on some ideas that if they come to fruition would give more visibility to all third party Pathfinder compatible publishers. So stay tuned!

-Lisa


Lisa Stevens wrote:

...That said, this thread has got me to thinking, and I am working with Jeff and Vic on some ideas that if they come to fruition would give more visibility to all third party Pathfinder compatible publishers. So stay tuned!

-Lisa

And this is why we love you. Thanks, Lisa!


I have to admit Pathfinder has been doing very well, however me and my friend have been losing faith in Pathfinder, first with the gunslinger and it's ability to hit touch AC and now they've made things from bad to worse with the new playtest they released and what's also given him a blow to his faith is the changling stats.

I'm worried that it seems like paizo are running out of steam.

Osirion

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Card Game, Roleplaying Game Subscriber
DM Aron Marczylo wrote:
I have to admit Pathfinder has been doing very well, however me and my friend have been losing faith in Pathfinder, first with the gunslinger and it's ability to hit touch AC and now they've made things from bad to worse with the new playtest they released and what's also given him a blow to his faith is the changling stats.

That's why its a playtest. You throw out ideas and see what works and what doesn't.

When their APs start getting boring is when I'll start to worry. But they seem on track with those yet. :)

Osirion

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Card Game, Roleplaying Game Subscriber

Steering the thread back to a thank you to Paizo...

I want to agree with Steve's sentiments and also say thank you especially for keeping the OGL going and for creating an environment of fun creativity in which others can thrive. Thank you very much Paizo.


I agree with those here posting thanks to paizo. I have to say the quite a bit of the 3rd party material I have been using in my games has really enhanced the experience I have had with my pathfinder game. I dont remember a time in my gaming career when I felt there was this many new ideas and options floating around. And I dont just mean mechanics, 3rd party material has redirected stories in my games too. Whether its the effect dreamscarred press' psionics will have on Victorian Europe, or the implications of Super Genius' dragon riders on a typical fantasy world.

I dont think I ever would have incorportated as much of it as I have if it wasnt for paizo's support of 3PP. Some of it I might not have known about, and others might not have even existed without paizo's support. True to their name, Paizo is all about playing and enjoying the game, and this is a big example of how they prove it. So thanks to Paizo and thanks to the great Publishers that have risen from their support to produce stuff that has just been plain fun to explore and use.


Brekkil wrote:

I wasn't going for endearing, I was simply voicing a concern of mine. If that gives me one less customer... well, so be it.

- Axel

Here is the best piece of advice I can give you, one 3PP to another: If you want Paizo (or anyone) to talk about your products, you have to make something they will talk about. Osidian Twilight gave me the best press from Paizo and the fanbase and I directly relate to stating that Obsidian Twilight was a Ravenloft & Dark Sun inspired mash-up. That got people talking. If you focus on work on products that get people talking, you will not have to work about getting press, people will do that work for you.

Andoran

DM Aron Marczylo wrote:

I have to admit Pathfinder has been doing very well, however me and my friend have been losing faith in Pathfinder, first with the gunslinger and it's ability to hit touch AC and now they've made things from bad to worse with the new playtest they released and what's also given him a blow to his faith is the changling stats.

I'm worried that it seems like paizo are running out of steam.

Kind of the wrong place for this kind of comment, perhaps?

However, I'm pretty confident Paizo has PLENTY more steam! The gunslinger 'class' is an extremely polarizing issue - some people love it, some hate it. But, keep in mind it's just one thing. Paizo continues to put out LOTS and LOTS of great stuff, day in and day out. If the gunslinger is not for you - don't use it. Instead, use the other 99% of awesomeness Paizo gives us!

(oh, and for the record, in case this just seems like a big pro-Paizo rant, I too kind of hate the gunslinger and will more than likely never use it or fire arms in my games)

Back to the topic of the thread ...

[QUOTE="
Lisa Stevens (CEO)"]
We know that it can be frustrating to not get notice in the store blog. There are only so many slots and we have to balance various types of products so there are things for folks who don't buy PDFs or for that matter, don't play Pathfinder.

That said, this thread has got me to thinking, and I am working with Jeff and Vic on some ideas that if they come to fruition would give more visibility to all third party Pathfinder compatible publishers. So stay tuned!

The very fact that the CEO of the company is taking the time to listen AND is looking at ways to give even MORE visibility to all third party Pathfinder compatible publishers is pretty much the very reason we are all saying thanks!

So ... thanks again Paizo :)


Brekkil wrote:

Well, I have published other products than Eldritch Secrets (and had a big sale), but perhaps this is simply about knowing the Paizo schedule and not the Paizo people... if so, I stand corrected.

- Axel

For what it's worth, I knows that ya did offers a free PF compatible adventure not too long ago. ;P


From a consumer's perspective, I am very grateful to Paizo for recharging my gaming battery! Not only via their products, but through the constant "barrage" (and it's a good thing!) of advertisement of 3PP products! As an old timer, I am excited about gaming and the future of gaming and that goes directly to Paizo and the rest of you gaming publishers working hard to keep us gamers excited and coming back for more - THANKS SO MUCH!!!

Andoran

Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber
Brekkil wrote:

I wasn't going for endearing, I was simply voicing a concern of mine. If that gives me one less customer... well, so be it.

- Axel

Two


Metal & Myth wishes to thank Paizo Publishing for the spot on their website. Whether or not we make a blog or are highlighted does not concern us. We are a two man crew that does this for fun. For a full time publishing company to allow the little guys to even be on their website, and also allow them to use the website to sell their material is huge. My heartfelt thanks to Paizo for keeping the system alive and adding a renewed spark in what used to be a dying game. We thank you, and to Rite publishing, very commendable for being the first to speak up in thanks of what should be voiced everytime you sell a PDF from Paizo.

Selling PDF's isn't a revenue stream, just a way to get the ideas of how we see the game in print and perhaps help someone else enjoy their game a little more.

For this is what we aim to do.

Have fun, after all it is a game.

Metal & Myth LLC.


Adamant Entertainment was the very first third-party publisher with support of PATHFINDER, and since our first release, Paizo has been great to deal with.

We can often be high-maintenance (constant demands for implementing self-cash-out of earnings, and more control over alteration and activation of product, for example -- these are my personal bugbears, and I bring them up incessantly), but Paizo handles everything as best as they can, even when they can't make us happy all the time.

We got away from doing regular support there for a bit, as our attention was drawn elsewhere, but we're happy to be coming back to the fold, and have a bunch of great releases coming soon!


BANZAI!


I too would like say THANK YOU to Paizo for this support of 3pps. I have bought from several of them, including Super Genius Games, Necromancers of the Northwest, and got the Pathways #1 from Rite Publishing(plan to buy from you guys soon!) and I've helped with the creation of Psionics Unleashed and their expanded products.

So THANK YOU once more, to not only Paizo for the support you show all of the 3rd party publishers, but also to those companies themselves, for making my game cooler, better and all around more fun!! :)


Gareth-Michael Skarka wrote:
Adamant Entertainment was the very first third-party publisher with support of PATHFINDER, and since our first release, Paizo has been great to deal with.

As a matter of curiosity, what exactly qualifies that particular claim? 4 Winds Fantasy Gaming released the print and PDF edition of The Book of Arcane Magic on the exact same day the PFRPG Core Rulebook was released, August 12, 2009. Again, just curious. :)

Cheliax

Pathfinder Comics Subscriber; Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Modules, Roleplaying Game Subscriber
hunter1828 wrote:
Gareth-Michael Skarka wrote:
Adamant Entertainment was the very first third-party publisher with support of PATHFINDER, and since our first release, Paizo has been great to deal with.
As a matter of curiosity, what exactly qualifies that particular claim? 4 Winds Fantasy Gaming released the print and PDF edition of The Book of Arcane Magic on the exact same day the PFRPG Core Rulebook was released, August 12, 2009. Again, just curious. :)

I don't remember the day it went up. I do remember I think it was Lisa saying it was the first Pathfinder 3pp book. If I recall it came out before gencon but I am not 100% positive.

Paizo Employee CEO

Dark_Mistress wrote:
hunter1828 wrote:
Gareth-Michael Skarka wrote:
Adamant Entertainment was the very first third-party publisher with support of PATHFINDER, and since our first release, Paizo has been great to deal with.
As a matter of curiosity, what exactly qualifies that particular claim? 4 Winds Fantasy Gaming released the print and PDF edition of The Book of Arcane Magic on the exact same day the PFRPG Core Rulebook was released, August 12, 2009. Again, just curious. :)
I don't remember the day it went up. I do remember I think it was Lisa saying it was the first Pathfinder 3pp book. If I recall it came out before gencon but I am not 100% positive.

Gareth's book came out AT GenCon when we released the Core Rulebook. We had it for sale in our booth even. So that is where I think he makes that claim. :)

-Lisa


Lisa Stevens wrote:
Gareth's book came out AT GenCon when we released the Core Rulebook. We had it for sale in our booth even. So that is where I think he makes that claim. :)

Yup, what she said.

RPG Superstar 2011 Top 8

Is there a list somewhere of all the Pathfinder 3pp publishers? To be honest as a customer, the one way I find out by a company is either the Paizo store blog or when someone (usually Dark Mistress) reviews a product in it shows up in the "recent reviews" board. For example, the David Graffam models Paizo recently spotted. I never would have thought to look for them until I saw the blog about them and I've already bought six of them in the past week.

Cheliax

Pathfinder Comics Subscriber; Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Modules, Roleplaying Game Subscriber
John Benbo wrote:
Is there a list somewhere of all the Pathfinder 3pp publishers? To be honest as a customer, the one way I find out by a company is either the Paizo store blog or when someone (usually Dark Mistress) reviews a product in it shows up in the "recent reviews" board. For example, the David Graffam models Paizo recently spotted. I never would have thought to look for them until I saw the blog about them and I've already bought six of them in the past week.

here is a page with all the companies that do 3pp for Pathfinder and their products.

Link

Lisa - Ah ok, I couldn't remember. i just recalled someone mentioning it came out right away and I thought it was you. But wasn't sure. Since you tend to try and promote 3pp a lot, likely why I thought it was you. :)

RPG Superstar 2011 Top 8

Dark_Mistress wrote:
John Benbo wrote:
Is there a list somewhere of all the Pathfinder 3pp publishers? To be honest as a customer, the one way I find out by a company is either the Paizo store blog or when someone (usually Dark Mistress) reviews a product in it shows up in the "recent reviews" board. For example, the David Graffam models Paizo recently spotted. I never would have thought to look for them until I saw the blog about them and I've already bought six of them in the past week.

here is a page with all the companies that do 3pp for Pathfinder and their products.

Link

Lisa - Ah ok, I couldn't remember. i just recalled someone mentioning it came out right away and I thought it was you. But wasn't sure. Since you tend to try and promote 3pp a lot, likely why I thought it was you. :)

Awesome, thanks! I've literally been doing the search by company and picking companies at random.

Cheliax

Pathfinder Comics Subscriber; Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Modules, Roleplaying Game Subscriber

Your welcome.

Andoran

John Benbo wrote:
Is there a list somewhere of all the Pathfinder 3pp publishers? To be honest as a customer, the one way I find out by a company is either the Paizo store blog or when someone (usually Dark Mistress) reviews a product in it shows up in the "recent reviews" board. For example, the David Graffam models Paizo recently spotted. I never would have thought to look for them until I saw the blog about them and I've already bought six of them in the past week.

In addition to the excellent link DM provided, you can download the free Pathways magazine. It has an interview with the top Pathfinder third party publishers

Silver Crusade

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion Subscriber

On a related tangent: EnWorld will publish their next AP, Zeitgeist, both for 4ed and PF.

Enworld publishing Pathfinder stuff, who would have guessed. Last time their staff was in "4ed 3PP business is so great that we don't ever have to do anything with PF, honest" mode.

Andoran

Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Charter Superscriber
JollyRoger wrote:
Brekkil wrote:

I wasn't going for endearing, I was simply voicing a concern of mine. If that gives me one less customer... well, so be it.

- Axel

Two

Make that Three. This was a great feel-good thread until your post. Nothing wrong with not feeling the buzz that the other 3rd party companies are feeling; but you are totally missing the point. Paizo doesn't carry itself like a typical corporation PRECISELY because they treat their customers (and 3rd party companies) with respect.

Your post came across as angry, and extremely unprofessional. Why would I want to purchase a product from such a company? Attitude is everything in this day and age where folks have become much more careful about where they spend their hard-earned money. You should think about apologizing rather than defending an unprofessional remark. It might save any more hemorrhaging of potential customers.

Osirion

Pathfinder Deluxe Comics Subscriber; Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Cards, Companion, Maps, Modules, Roleplaying Game, Tales Subscriber
Brekkil wrote:

I wasn't going for endearing, I was simply voicing a concern of mine. If that gives me one less customer... well, so be it.

- Axel

Sorry for another threadjack, but wow...

In your previous post you did not only say that paizo was acting unprofessional and endorsed in favoritism by promoting products of companies other than yours, you were also, even if no specific company was mentioned, attack those companies by basically saying some of those mentioned in the store blog were producing crap compared to your grear products.

That is not "simply voicing a concern", that is much more unprofessional, even childish, then anything you could ascribe to paizo.

This isn't about going for endearing or not, this is about behaving distasteful at least. You may not care about that, but in me you certainly lost another customer - I don't care how great your products might be anymore.

Paizo obviously is much more forgiving then I would have been, for I would have ceased any professional relationship.
Regards
Georg.


Lisa Stevens wrote:


Gareth's book came out AT GenCon when we released the Core Rulebook. We had it for sale in our booth even. So that is where I think he makes that claim. :)

-Lisa

Thanks for that, Lisa. While our book did release that day, we were, unfortunately, not at GenCon. One of these days we'll get there...

1 to 50 of 125 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Publishing / Pathfinder® / Pathfinder RPG / Compatible Products from Other Publishers / An Open Letter to Paizo: Thank You All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.