Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
About Paizo Messageboards News Paizo Blog Help/FAQ
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

Top Arcane Spell Combinations


Pathfinder RPG General Discussion

1 to 50 of 226 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | next > last >>

20 people marked this as a favorite.

I wanted to make a list of spell combinations. I thought maybe we could do a poll. (I know) So the rules are:

1. Only 2 spell combos are allowed

2. Please copy and past the former list and edit/add our own vote.
If you have a new option as being the best most useful spell combo,
add it, if you agree with one of the other combo's already listed,
then add an X to the right of it.

3. For This Tread only arcane spells

Pretty easy. Keep the list clean, add your reasoning for your addition under the list and we will be set. If it gets to be a popular thread and we get to 100 posts, then we will perhaps close it and determine a top 10 cool/useful combos list. Which brings us to the fourth and final rule

Please do not post/vote more than 3 times.

I will begin with one just for show, I'll count it as a vote.

Web/Cloudkill


Myself I prefer Black Tentacles/Stinking Cloud.


For the high levels, prismatic sphere/reverse gravity.

Cheliax

protection from arrows/ levitate (my favorite)


Haste + Rage

Higher level: Maze + anything else really

Edit: After reading the rules: First combo is nice because it keeps you out of the fray while signifigantly upping your party's damage output. Cast Haste first then spend the rest of the fight concentrating on rage while using your move action to tactically stay out of range of the bad guys.

Second combo is just fun to screw up the bad guys. Send the biggest baddest one away then get to work cleaning up any mooks before they get back.


Cloudkill/Forcecage


9 people marked this as a favorite.

Aqueas Orb + Hideous Laughter


Dirty Rat wrote:
Aqueas Orb + Hideous Laughter

Ouch. That's delightfully dirty.


What's the orb thingie? Couldn't find it :-/


APG.


Aren't the APG spells included in the PRD?
Coz that's where I looked, and found ziltsh :(

Andoran

Flaming Sphere + Pyrotechnics. Very nasty and reliable low-level trick - the sphere does not go out, so you can keep on rolling.

Just warn your party first.


Enemy Hammer + any Create Pit spell.

They can save to keep their actions, but you still get to fling them thirty feet. Oh look a handy extra-dimensional pit with acid at the bottom. Good luck climbing back out.


Swivl wrote:
For the high levels, prismatic sphere/reverse gravity.

I am not sure I understand this. Would you fly above the target and then cast this? Or would it assume you are next to the target when you cast the orb?


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Lots of shrunken items. The fly spell. Place the shrunken items in a box. Fly up high over the person/building you wish to destroy. Shake the box hard. If you DM has you get hit by the now not shrunken objects you can always use telekinesis to shake the box for you. For extra fun cover the shrunken items in explosive runes.


Rickmeister wrote:

Aren't the APG spells included in the PRD?

Coz that's where I looked, and found ziltsh :(

Aqueos Orb


Dirty Rat wrote:
Aqueas Orb + Hideous Laughter

+1. Very clever.


Pathfinder Tales Subscriber
qlawdat wrote:
Dirty Rat wrote:
Aqueas Orb + Hideous Laughter
+1. Very clever.

Agreed.. This could get interesting!


I'm a big fan of

Quickened Ill Omen / Hold Monster

Taking the lower of two saves each round is particularly devastating since they can never take the move action to get rid of the ill omen (which itself doesn't allow a save).

Of course, you can do this with any other highly "save-dependent" spells like Phantasmal Killer or Suffocation.

At low levels (before you can quicken it), you may have to team up with other spellcasters in your party and delay until just before your ally to cast Ill Omen and they can follow it up with something like Grease or Colour Spray.


Glitterdust + Fog Cloud.

The will save for glitterdust is for blindness, not the sticky glitter.
AoE "I can see you but you can't see me!"

Dirty Rat wrote:
Aqueas Orb + Hideous Laughter

Could someone be so kind to explain how this combo is particularly devastating?


Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Maps, Roleplaying Game Subscriber
Eric Levanduski wrote:

Glitterdust + Fog Cloud.

The will save for glitterdust is for blindness, not the sticky glitter.
AoE "I can see you but you can't see me!"

Dirty Rat wrote:
Aqueas Orb + Hideous Laughter

Could someone be so kind to explain how this combo is particularly devastating?

If you are in a pool of water and sucking in water to your lungs cause you care compelled to laugh, than you are going to start drowning immediately.


Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Maps, Roleplaying Game Subscriber

Set your enemy on fire with any spell of your choice, than a they begin to roll about to put themselves out, cast spike stones or spike growth. They won't just shred their feet, but their entire body.

Pit spell + illusory wall = Nobody saw it coming

Blindness/Deafness (blind) + Blindness/Deafness (deafen) + bestow curse (make mute) = Poor sap


Ravingdork wrote:

Set your enemy on fire with any spell of your choice, than a they begin to roll about to put themselves out, cast spike stones or spike growth. They won't just shred their feet, but their entire body.

Pit spell + illusory wall = Nobody saw it coming

Illusory wall can be done with Silent Image too. 1st level spell.


qlawdat wrote:
Swivl wrote:
For the high levels, prismatic sphere/reverse gravity.
I am not sure I understand this. Would you fly above the target and then cast this? Or would it assume you are next to the target when you cast the orb?

The idea is to conjure the sphere above them so the whole sphere is there. Then, reverse gravity is there to make sure they pass through the top and bottom twice each, for four prismatic wall effects in quick succession since reverse gravity is dismissible and doesn't allow a save for itself most of the time. Of course this doesn't work on flying creatures so the target is fairly specific at those levels, but I thought it was fun nonetheless.

Oh, and the Aqueous Orb + Hideous Laughter combo is awesome. +1


Came in here to post Silent Image/Create Pit, came out with Hideous Laughter and Aqueous Orb. Awesome.

This one is obvious, but very useful:

Spark + Pyrotechnics

Andoran

Doran Blackdawn wrote:

This one is obvious, but very useful:

Spark + Pyrotechnics

Doesn't work, at least not directly. You need a flammable, unattended item that's more or less where you want Pyrotechnics to go off.

Flaming Sphere, on the other hand, synergizes perfectly. Cast sphere, direct it as move, party members know what's coming; next round Pyrotechnics. The sphere doesn't even go out, so you can run over the poor blind victims.


Wall of Stone + Meld into Stone.

2 spell invincibility.

Edit: Just realized this is a divine caster only combo. My bad.

Andoran

Mr.Alarm wrote:

Wall of Stone + Meld into Stone.

2 spell invincibility.

Edit: Just realized this is a divine caster only combo. My bad.

meh. Still nice.

Cheliax

Dirty Rat wrote:
Aqueas Orb + Hideous Laughter

Interesting... but requires a lot of failed saves to be lethal, yes? Four failed saves required as far as I can tell... 3 if one of the spells is quickened.


What about flesh to stone followed up by a transmute rock to mud? T'would depend on whether the statue created by the former would be considered "magical stone" or not. If not - it could make for one gooey badguy.


Invisibility + Summon Monster may not be as clever as some of the ones here, but it's still a classic.


A low-level classic is web + burning hands. The web holds them in place, caster moves into position, then adds 2d4 fire damage on top of the base burning hands damage.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Mirror Image + displacement. Each image gains a 50% miss chance.


It's not much of a combo, but rainbow pattern + acid pit. You can potentially lead many bad guys into a pit all at once. . .


5 people marked this as a favorite.
meabolex wrote:
It's not much of a combo, but rainbow pattern + acid pit. You can potentially lead many bad guys into a pit all at once. . .

Only if they have long hair and tie-dyed clothes...


Thanatos95 wrote:
meabolex wrote:
It's not much of a combo, but rainbow pattern + acid pit. You can potentially lead many bad guys into a pit all at once. . .
Only if they have long hair and tie-dyed clothes...

+1


4 people marked this as a favorite.

Create Pit + Hydraulic Push

A level 1 spell (hydraulic push) plus a level 2 spell (create pit), that can be upgraded to spiked pit, acid pit, or hungry pit at higher levels. They key phrase that makes it a good combo is, "Creatures subjected to an effect intended to push them into the pit (such as bull rush) do not get a saving throw to avoid falling in if they are affected by the pushing effect."

  • Cast a pit spell, possibly dumping enemies in a hole.
  • Follow that up with hydraulic push, which shoves them into the hole with no save.
  • Profit.


13 people marked this as a favorite.

Beast Shape I and Geas/Quest.

"A talking bird just told me that I'm the chosen one!"


Fear + Crushing Despair. Fear makes everything shaken, even if they make the save. That is -2 to the save against crushing despair, which will leave everyone with -4 to successive spells. A killer combo.


Swivl wrote:
qlawdat wrote:
Swivl wrote:
For the high levels, prismatic sphere/reverse gravity.
I am not sure I understand this. Would you fly above the target and then cast this? Or would it assume you are next to the target when you cast the orb?

The idea is to conjure the sphere above them so the whole sphere is there. Then, reverse gravity is there to make sure they pass through the top and bottom twice each, for four prismatic wall effects in quick succession since reverse gravity is dismissible and doesn't allow a save for itself most of the time. Of course this doesn't work on flying creatures so the target is fairly specific at those levels, but I thought it was fun nonetheless.

Oh, and the Aqueous Orb + Hideous Laughter combo is awesome. +1

Doesn't work. Prismatic Sphere is always centered on the caster. At best, it's a 3 round set-up.

Round 1: Cast Reverse Gravity. Non-flying creature falls up and is suspended at the edge of the spell
Round 2: Move under creature, cast Prismatic Sphere
Round 3: Dismiss Reverse Gravity.

Cheliax

The Prismatic Sphere does not move with the caster...

So the setup could be:

You are flying and directly above your target. You cast prismatic sphere.

The next round, if the target is still below you, you move out of the sphere and cast reverse gravity.

The real question is if the Prismatic Sphere allows the Reverse Gravity to function through it.

PRD wrote:
...the sphere blocks any attempt to project something through the sphere (including spells).

If you allow it, that is two trips through the sphere on the way up... and two more on the next round when you dismiss it.

Even if you don't, you could rule that you slam the target against the sphere repeatedly as the Reverse Gravity continues to "fall" the target against the underside of the sphere.

Admittedly this is a tough one to adjudicate. YMMV

Of course as a level 9 and level 7 spell combo...

Cheers


12 people marked this as a favorite.

Create pit + Summon swarm.

Look at me. I'm a wizard.
Look at you. You are in a pit.
Now look at me. Now back to you,
the pit is full of spiders.


Thanatos95 wrote:
meabolex wrote:
It's not much of a combo, but rainbow pattern + acid pit. You can potentially lead many bad guys into a pit all at once. . .
Only if they have long hair and tie-dyed clothes...

Sounds like a hippie *erm* I mean druid killer. . .

But in that case wouldn't the acid pit lead the druid to a rainbow pattern?

RPG Superstar 2012 Top 16

meabolex wrote:
Mirror Image + displacement. Each image gains a 50% miss chance.

Each of the images is not enchanted with displacement, so this won't work. It's an offshoot of the invisible/caster is blind effect. The spell basically ignores concealment.

Also, the prismatic sphere/reverse Gravity trick doesn't work. The sphere stops all magic and all living matter. The Reverse Gravity will end where it hits the sphere, and unless the person is trying to pass through, he'll just hit the outside of the sphere and stay there, taking no damage. You can't FORCE him to pass through it...he can let himself be kept out.

==Aelryinth


Breath Mince: Use Gust of Wind to blow tiny critters into Blade Barrier.

Playing Catch: Use Telekinesis to toss enemies into Black Tentacles' area.

Break Dance: Irresistible Dance on a target within a greased area.

Amazing Flight: Use Telekinesis to toss enemies into Prismatic Wall.

Cheliax

Aelryinth wrote:


Also, the prismatic sphere/reverse Gravity trick doesn't work. The sphere stops all magic and all living matter. The Reverse Gravity will end where it hits the sphere, and unless the person is trying to pass through, he'll just hit the outside of the sphere and stay there, taking no damage. You can't FORCE him to pass through it...he can let himself be kept out.

Bolding is mine. I don't follow you. Where are you getting this from? Spell description for Prismatic Sphere and Prismatic Wall say nothing about this. The violet color effect makes the sphere pretty deadly, but it is conceivable that someone could make the will save. They could make all their saves in fact, not to mention SR applies.

It also states nothing about the those passing through the sphere need to be "willing". If that was the case, then someone could leap down from above onto the top of a Prismatic Sphere and use it as a stepping stone, as long as they weren't "willing" to pass through.

Again, a tough spell to adjudicate. No doubt.

Cheers

PS This sounds familiar... ;)

KaeYoss wrote:
Amazing Flight: Use Telekinesis to toss enemies into Prismatic Wall.


Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Maps, Roleplaying Game Subscriber

Mage's Magnificent Mansion + Fabricate = Infinitely shapeable dungeon of doom in which to lure your enemies.

What would you fill your dungeon with?


3 people marked this as a favorite.
Blueluck wrote:

Create Pit + Hydraulic Push

A level 1 spell (hydraulic push) plus a level 2 spell (create pit), that can be upgraded to spiked pit, acid pit, or hungry pit at higher levels. They key phrase that makes it a good combo is, "Creatures subjected to an effect intended to push them into the pit (such as bull rush) do not get a saving throw to avoid falling in if they are affected by the pushing effect."

  • Cast a pit spell, possibly dumping enemies in a hole.
  • Follow that up with hydraulic push, which shoves them into the hole with no save.
  • Profit.

+1 dude, nice


Shrink Item + Mage Hand. Use Shrink Item to shrink a massive object, like an anvil, bouler, treasure chest, or other very heavy object, turning it into a nearly weightless cloth. Then, use Mage hand to lift the cloth above an enemy, and utter the command word to turn the object back to normal. Splat.


On a similar note: Shrink Item + Telekinesis. Find or purchase a boulder or ball or iron that is the maximum weight you can hurl with telekinesis. Permanency shrink item on it. You then have a very high damage weapon that you can use over and over again, and can easily carry around and hide on your person, even as a puny wizard. This is particularly fun with a ring of telekinesis. You can have a 9d6 damage attack effectively at-will.

1 to 50 of 226 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Publishing / Pathfinder® / Pathfinder RPG / General Discussion / Top Arcane Spell Combinations All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.