Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
About Paizo Messageboards News Paizo Blog Help/FAQ
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

RPG Superstar 2015

Best Roleplaying Sorcerer Bloodline?


Advice


The setting for the campaign is the Underdark. All the other characters are Drow while the DM has allowed me to play a Dhampir (for roleplaying reasons).

Stats thus far:
Level 4 Fey Sorcerer // 20 point buy (+1 point from level 4)
STR: 8
DEX: 12
CON: 12
INT: 12
WIS: 8
CHA: 21

I have a few problems: Would the Fey Bloodline be the best in this situation? Should I put more stats into INT for more skill points that would help me along in the story, or should I keep a high CHA so I can have high DCs for my spells? I would think compulsion spells would be more beneficial for a more role playing oriented game.

Thoughts?


enzymezero wrote:
Thoughts?

I would think the infernal bloodline is the best for roleplaying. The charm-type spells are more interesting than compulsions (which are actually more combat-crunchy than roleplaying-oriented). Critically, you get diplomacy as a class skill. That seems like the biggest draw. . .

The serpentine bloodline also has diplomacy. . . I like the flavor for it, too!


When it comes to roleplaying, it always boils down to what character concept you would like to embody. So the setting may be the Underdark, everyone is a drow, but you're really loving the feel of the Fey bloodline. Stick with it and make your character work it :)

I personally agree with Meabolex. Infernal is a great bloodline to choose. You're part devil by blood, not by choice. That sort of lineage is something you could choose to have your character struggling with, or perhaps he/she embraces the infernal blood in their veins. Though, mechanically speaking, the diplomacy feature and charms (from Infernal) are much more useful in a "roleplay" situation than compulsion effects. With diplomacy and charm you can do some serious manipulation, mmmmm.

Also, since you'll be in the Underdark, their is a bloodline in the APG entitled "Deep Earth" which is completely outfitted for subterranean adventuring :) that is something you may want to look into. The best thing to do is to follow your imagination's cravings and play want you want in the end.


Roleplaying is 100% about how to play your character, and 0% about what "stuff" or abilities your character has. As a roleplayer, you could say..... see your reflection in a spoon, and then decide to use "Spoon" as your battlecry.

That is the fun of roleplaying, it doesn't matter what your character sheet says, you can play your character, however you want to play your character.

And for those of you who know the reference...here is a trip down memory lane


The Undead bloodline would be more appropriate with your race. The Shadow bloodline or Abyssal bloodline would be more appropriate for the setting.

EDIT: FOR PONIES!


Infernal simply has a great feel to it that doesn't require much effort to make it flavorful (you even got a picture to work with!). The others are workable but require more effort. If you don't mind being at odds with everyone else, then going verdant means you role-play out a druidy feel.


How can you start out a post with `I`m playing a Dhampir character for RP reasons in an otherwise all-Drow Underdark campaign` and not explain exactly what those RP reasons are? You then ask a bunch of crunch questions, but without knowledge of your RP intent here, how can people give meaningful advice pertinent to your RP goal?


Quandary wrote:
How can you start out a post with `I`m playing a Dhampir character for RP reasons in an otherwise all-Drow Underdark campaign` and not explain exactly what those RP reasons are? You then ask a bunch of crunch questions, but without knowledge of your RP intent here, how can people give meaningful advice pertinent to your RP goal?

I thought the intent was pretty clear, if you knew anything about the Underdark/Drow society. It's a highly manipulative society. Nevertheless, your post is irrelevant, given that the previous posters gave me exactly what I needed. I appreciate the feedback. :)

I will go the infernal route - given that charms would be more beneficial than compulsions for the social and role playing aspects of the game.

Grand Lodge

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Roleplaying Game, Tales Subscriber
enzymezero wrote:

The setting for the campaign is the Underdark. All the other characters are Drow while the DM has allowed me to play a Dhampir (for roleplaying reasons).

Stats thus far:
Level 4 Fey Sorcerer // 20 point buy (+1 point from level 4)
STR: 8
DEX: 12
CON: 12
INT: 12
WIS: 8
CHA: 21

I have a few problems: Would the Fey Bloodline be the best in this situation? Should I put more stats into INT for more skill points that would help me along in the story, or should I keep a high CHA so I can have high DCs for my spells? I would think compulsion spells would be more beneficial for a more role playing oriented game.

Thoughts?

When you say best "roleplaying" are you talking about character development? Or are you talking about max crunch effectiveness? As any bloodline can be roleplayed well, even... especially the ones that would be "out of place". The stats I see here are typical min-max stats, if you're looking for more roundedness you might want to consider as heretical as it might sound lopping a couple of points of of charisma and easing a bit on your "dump" stats. especially wisdom.


I suggest you make that Sorc's powers come from the Celestial bloodline. Sure it feels way off, but now you have a REALLY dark secret to hide from those who would manipulate you for it. The role-playing chances now jump through the roof!

I grandpa Celestial-dude trying to whisper sweet heavenly somethings in your ear while the demon lovers are sniffing you up and down to see what that light in your closet is?

Do you bend to the will of your lineage or take solace in the manipulations of your environment?

Do you throw the secret away, just to blind someone long enough to run away? Do you begin using daylight spells on your clothes to make your presence screw with people's vision, allowing you a sort of anonymity while being blatantly obvious about your presence?

Yup, a drop of heaven in a sea of hell is way more challenging to ROLE-play than the one that fits in the most.


Doc Cosmic wrote:

Roleplaying is 100% about how to play your character, and 0% about what "stuff" or abilities your character has. As a roleplayer, you could say..... see your reflection in a spoon, and then decide to use "Spoon" as your battlecry.

That is the fun of roleplaying, it doesn't matter what your character sheet says, you can play your character, however you want to play your character.

And for those of you who know the reference...here is a trip down memory lane

I don't disagree that a person has a right to play his character however he sees fit, so long as it is fun (and by that I mean fun for everyone at the table).

But I do disagree with the notion that it is a rule that roleplaying is 100% not the stuff or abilities your character has.

For the vast majority of us playing over the past four decades, all kinds of stuff on our sheets has been the very basis for how we play our characters. From a low Intelligence or a high Wisdom, to the sword inherited from our grandfather, to a sorcerer fighting the stigma attached to his bloodline, to the biggest no-brainer in this topic - alignment, most of us have chosen the things we have on our sheets because they fit the character concept, thus, they were there for playing the role of the character.

I understand that the argument between roleplaying and "roll" playing has grown over the years, to cause rifts between people and dichotomies of philosophy that can now be difficult to overcome. But the number of times I have seen a call on these boards in the last two days, to totally disregard everything written down about your character, to totally divide and separate his nature and personality from what is written on the sheet, is really kind of scary.

The choices you make for your character, including his bloodline if he is a sorcerer, are all opportunities for better roleplaying. That includes his Intelligence, Wisdom and Charisma scores, and his alignment. And that could include his freakin' moth-eaten cloak or 50-foot length of hemp rope, if you wanted it to.

I think we would all benefit if we finally took a stand against this mechanic vs roleplaying argument, and tried to find ways to integrate the two, instead.


Yeah, there should be some kind of link between your character's demeanor, their bloodline, and their spell list if you want to emphasize role-playing. A verdant sorceror probably wouldn't pick up things like fireball or horrid wilting and probably behave akin to a druid. However, an infernal sorceror would focus on enchantment but probably not on domination (I view them to look more for willing followers than direct subjugation) while always trying to cut sneaky deals with fine loopholes.


Bruunwald wrote:
Doc Cosmic wrote:

Roleplaying is 100% about how to play your character, and 0% about what "stuff" or abilities your character has. As a roleplayer, you could say..... see your reflection in a spoon, and then decide to use "Spoon" as your battlecry.

That is the fun of roleplaying, it doesn't matter what your character sheet says, you can play your character, however you want to play your character.

And for those of you who know the reference...here is a trip down memory lane

I don't disagree that a person has a right to play his character however he sees fit, so long as it is fun (and by that I mean fun for everyone at the table).

But I do disagree with the notion that it is a rule that roleplaying is 100% not the stuff or abilities your character has.

For the vast majority of us playing over the past four decades, all kinds of stuff on our sheets has been the very basis for how we play our characters. From a low Intelligence or a high Wisdom, to the sword inherited from our grandfather, to a sorcerer fighting the stigma attached to his bloodline, to the biggest no-brainer in this topic - alignment, most of us have chosen the things we have on our sheets because they fit the character concept, thus, they were there for playing the role of the character.

I understand that the argument between roleplaying and "roll" playing has grown over the years, to cause rifts between people and dichotomies of philosophy that can now be difficult to overcome. But the number of times I have seen a call on these boards in the last two days, to totally disregard everything written down about your character, to totally divide and separate his nature and personality from what is written on the sheet, is really kind of scary.

The choices you make for your character, including his bloodline if he is a sorcerer, are all opportunities for better roleplaying. That includes his Intelligence, Wisdom and Charisma scores, and his alignment. And that...

Yes, for a couple decades I thought in the very same manner. Only for the past decade(+) have I come out of my "shell"

A family heirloom sword.... what is more poetic, the son who uses the sword or the son who shunnes it and although it is on the sheet he never uses it? If you are playing your character based on a sheet, then what happens when your mind is mentally switched with a dire rat? Well, your sheet really doesn't matter at that point.

Alignment is one of the worst excuses for roleplaying I have experienced, and I greatly appreciate it when game systems throw that junk out. Is Superman LG? how about Batman? What would Conan be? If we really tried to use alignment in the real world it would utterly fail, since people's actions cannot be summarized by such a myopic view of the human psyche. Think of alignment like trying to find an electron, you know it is somewhere in this cloud around the nucleus, but depending on the moment, it could be anywhere.
The sheet is there to summarize and give material form to your imagination. Playing things in reverse, is not really roleplaying but a form of metagaming.

This is really a superfluous argument anyway since none of us can be right, and the OP wasn't really asking about roleplaying but about optimzation (he just worded the question poorly). Everything about roleplaying is subjective. If you need a sheet in order to tell you how to play your character, and that works for you, and you enjoy it....then you are doing it right :)

Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Publishing / Pathfinder® / Pathfinder RPG / Advice / Best Roleplaying Sorcerer Bloodline? All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.