Deep 6 FaWtL


Off-Topic Discussions

181,951 to 182,000 of 196,820 << first < prev | 3635 | 3636 | 3637 | 3638 | 3639 | 3640 | 3641 | 3642 | 3643 | 3644 | 3645 | next > last >>

3 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting Subscriber
lisamarlene wrote:

Yes, it was the Chabot. But the "kit" was just a table with little bins of parts: 1.5v DC motors, counterweights for the motors, AA batteries, wires, and then lots of random bits of rubber band, tape, and things to build out of (margarine tubs, Solo cups, etc.). And she was in heaven.

And, by the by, Lamb Vindaloo would be a great option for the 3rd.

I'll tell Hi. Giving him an excuse to go to Al Lasher's will make him very, VERY happy. (They were last there for Halloween to get NobodysWife parts for her glasses. NobodysWife's cost: $8. Shiro and Hi's cost: $250.)

And consider the lamb vindaloo done. There was a news article about a lot of the Indian cooks around here switching over to Instant Pots for their curries, so I want to play...
...and there's now an Oak Town Spice Shop right on Solano so I can buy all the spices the day before and grind 'em myself. Makes a HUGE difference!

EDIT: Cooking lamb vindaloo in an Instant Pot while nekkid. It's how the NobodysHome do.


2 people marked this as a favorite.
NobodysHome wrote:
lisamarlene wrote:

Yes, it was the Chabot. But the "kit" was just a table with little bins of parts: 1.5v DC motors, counterweights for the motors, AA batteries, wires, and then lots of random bits of rubber band, tape, and things to build out of (margarine tubs, Solo cups, etc.). And she was in heaven.

And, by the by, Lamb Vindaloo would be a great option for the 3rd.

I'll tell Hi. Giving him an excuse to go to Al Lasher's will make him very, VERY happy. (They were last there for Halloween to get NobodysWife parts for her glasses. NobodysWife's cost: $8. Shiro and Hi's cost: $250.)

And consider the lamb vindaloo done. There was a news article about a lot of the Indian cooks around here switching over to Instant Pots for their curries, so I want to play...
...and there's now an Oak Town Spice Shop right on Solano so I can buy all the spices the day before and grind 'em myself. Makes a HUGE difference!

EDIT: Cooking lamb vindaloo in an Instant Pot while nekkid. It's how the NobodysHome do.

I love the new Oaktown Spice. They even told me that if I brought in the Penzey's blends I use the most, they can try to replicate them for me so I can switch over entirely.

Nekkid Chef sounds like a fine plan.
Just put your damned goofy pants on before I get there. I don't want to see your floppy bits next to my food.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber

Yes, we still have our pumpkins from our pumpkin patch.

Even Apollo Micheal Jackson.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
NobodysHome wrote:
lisamarlene wrote:

Thanks to the perpetual cockup that is the American rail system, my children are going to wake up in an hour and a half thinking they're going to take their father to the train station, only to find out that he already left at 3:30 this morning and they won't see him again until breakfast on Friday.

Without a hug goodbye.

Stupid Amtrak.

Oh, Gods. I'd *love* to take the train to Seattle so the kids could visit their cousins, but it's already a 24-hour ride, and it routinely runs 24 hours late.

What other public transit system can DOUBLE its travel time and not even offer you a friggin' coupon?!?!?

Don't get me started on sitting in a city bus stuck in a traffic jam for hour on a 20 minute route...

Often passengers just ask the driver to let them out somewhere in the middle of the jam (though technically it verges on being against the regulations).


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Syrus Terrigan wrote:
I've got an anomalic body temp, too -- a whopping 96.8 F. No medical personnel believe me -- till they check it.

Same as me! :)

The kidlet runs at about 97.8. But my husband tends to be a little higher than ‘average normal’ at 99.0
I’ve never had a doctor give me grief about my lower body temp except when I’m trying to prove I do indeed have a fever. When I was younger I had really low blood pressure and they were too busy giving me grief about that. “Are you sure you’re alive?” *rolls eyes* Pretty sure I would have less problems if I were undead....


1 person marked this as a favorite.
NobodysHome wrote:
gran rey de los mono wrote:

And this mention of body temperatures brings me to an anomaly of my family that I think I've mentioned before. My dad, my brother, and myself all have below normal body temperatures. My "normal" is about 98.2, my brother hovers at around 98.0, and our dad clocks in at an astonishing 97.8. This has led to some interesting conversations with medical personnel who are unaware of this. Like showing up for a school physical and being told "You should really go to the ER right now because you're body temp is too low and you could DIE!"

Spoiler alert: I didn't die.

Well, everyone is *supposed* to know that 98.6 is the mean, NOT an absolute, but as usual math illiteracy conquers all.

I'm surprised medical personnel would be that poorly-trained though. When I was younger I was a 96.8-er. Now I'm a 97.3-er. I'm convinced it, calorie intake, and cold resistance are related (if you don't need to keep your body as warm, you don't need as many calories, and it's easier to maintain the temperature when it's cold outside), but the limited evidence I have is scattered all over the map.

Don’t know what your results so far are, but the kidlet and I thrive in the cold, can stay out for hours no problems even though we both have lower body temps. But my husband we have to watch like a hawk because he can get frostbite so easily. He’s got a higher body temp and a higher metabolism but no cold tolerance to speak of at all. :)

(On the flip side, we have no heat tolerance, and basically turn into uncomfortable puddles in the summer.)


2 people marked this as a favorite.
lisamarlene wrote:

Thanks to the perpetual cockup that is the American rail system, my children are going to wake up in an hour and a half thinking they're going to take their father to the train station, only to find out that he already left at 3:30 this morning and they won't see him again until breakfast on Friday.

Without a hug goodbye.

Stupid Amtrak.

That sucks :(


2 people marked this as a favorite.

Enforced rest yesterday means I finally finished the body of the sweater I am knitting for the kidlet. Now I just have to do the sleeves. I will be so glad when this project is over. Not only is it large, but the yarn is particularly stiff and squidgy even for acrylic. But he can barely be trusted to do his laundry at all yet. There is no way the kid is ready for the responsibility of a wool sweater. So this is the best option. It’s quite soft once it’s knitted. It’s just not the best to work with.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Just a Mort wrote:

Yeah orcs with their ferocity su*k. Only way of dealing with em is a color spray to their face. Not even sure if you can run since they run as fast as you do.

Oh dear. Kitty caught naked while casting colorspray.

Cleric couldn't swim to the surface? =(

*puts on some clothes*

Since you are big into rules as written if you can deal enough nonlethal damage not to knock them into negatives ferocity never goes off.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Rosita the Riveter wrote:
Wow. Los Angeles public transportation seriously picked its game up.

Yay maybe not having my mom work there is a good thing.

Shadow Lodge

1 person marked this as a favorite.

It's in the 60s today! Praise (insert fire/sun/etc. deity of choice here)!


1 person marked this as a favorite.
lynora wrote:
Enforced rest yesterday means I finally finished the body of the sweater I am knitting for the kidlet. Now I just have to do the sleeves. I will be so glad when this project is over. Not only is it large, but the yarn is particularly stiff and squidgy even for acrylic. But he can barely be trusted to do his laundry at all yet. There is no way the kid is ready for the responsibility of a wool sweater. So this is the best option. It’s quite soft once it’s knitted. It’s just not the best to work with.

Can he handle wool clothing with his touch sensitivity? I always found wool to be annoyingly itchy as a kid and dread to think how bad it could be for him.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

I wonder if anyone's actually used a Tactical Self Defence Pen to defend themselves?

Hmm hmm hmm. What a puzzler.


5 people marked this as a favorite.

The Queen In Ruby With Emerald Eyes graces you with her Otherworldly presence.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Drejk wrote:
lynora wrote:
Enforced rest yesterday means I finally finished the body of the sweater I am knitting for the kidlet. Now I just have to do the sleeves. I will be so glad when this project is over. Not only is it large, but the yarn is particularly stiff and squidgy even for acrylic. But he can barely be trusted to do his laundry at all yet. There is no way the kid is ready for the responsibility of a wool sweater. So this is the best option. It’s quite soft once it’s knitted. It’s just not the best to work with.
Can he handle wool clothing with his touch sensitivity? I always found wool to be annoyingly itchy as a kid and dread to think how bad it could be for him.

I think it depends on the wool. I’m particular about that myself. He likes to touch the wool yarn and says that it’s so soft, but I mostly have merino which is very soft. I don’t think he could handle normal wool very well. What he really wants is a sweater out of silk bamboo yarn, but I spent a small fortune just making a shawl out of that . I shudder to think how much a sweater would cost. Next time I make a sweater for him I will most likely use cotton yarn. But even that takes more care than acrylic. (No, don’t put that in the dryer!) :P

Anyhow, very good point and another argument in favor of using acrylic yarn for children. :)


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Drejk wrote:
The Queen In Ruby With Emerald Eyes graces you with her Otherworldly presence.

Niiiiice! I like it! I can use this! :)

Shadow Lodge

1 person marked this as a favorite.

Ditto. Good work Drejk =)

The Exchange

1 person marked this as a favorite.
doctor_wu wrote:
Just a Mort wrote:

Yeah orcs with their ferocity su*k. Only way of dealing with em is a color spray to their face. Not even sure if you can run since they run as fast as you do.

Oh dear. Kitty caught naked while casting colorspray.

Cleric couldn't swim to the surface? =(

*puts on some clothes*

Since you are big into rules as written if you can deal enough nonlethal damage not to knock them into negatives ferocity never goes off.

You can, assuming you get something that does non lethal damage, which won't be some that most characters pack. If you only have simple weapon proficiency, there are no weapons on the list for that either. Using unarmed strike untrained provokes an AOO, which is a rather bad idea.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
lynora wrote:
Drejk wrote:
lynora wrote:
Enforced rest yesterday means I finally finished the body of the sweater I am knitting for the kidlet. Now I just have to do the sleeves. I will be so glad when this project is over. Not only is it large, but the yarn is particularly stiff and squidgy even for acrylic. But he can barely be trusted to do his laundry at all yet. There is no way the kid is ready for the responsibility of a wool sweater. So this is the best option. It’s quite soft once it’s knitted. It’s just not the best to work with.
Can he handle wool clothing with his touch sensitivity? I always found wool to be annoyingly itchy as a kid and dread to think how bad it could be for him.

I think it depends on the wool. I’m particular about that myself. He likes to touch the wool yarn and says that it’s so soft, but I mostly have merino which is very soft. I don’t think he could handle normal wool very well. What he really wants is a sweater out of silk bamboo yarn, but I spent a small fortune just making a shawl out of that . I shudder to think how much a sweater would cost. Next time I make a sweater for him I will most likely use cotton yarn. But even that takes more care than acrylic. (No, don’t put that in the dryer!) :P

Anyhow, very good point and another argument in favor of using acrylic yarn for children. :)

Of course when I was a kid and wore wool we had little choice in the matter of exact wool used in our clothing... Merino not only would be unavailable but most people would probably think it some exotic western drink or treat instead of wool.

Shadow Lodge

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Just a Mort wrote:
doctor_wu wrote:
Just a Mort wrote:

Yeah orcs with their ferocity su*k. Only way of dealing with em is a color spray to their face. Not even sure if you can run since they run as fast as you do.

Oh dear. Kitty caught naked while casting colorspray.

Cleric couldn't swim to the surface? =(

*puts on some clothes*

Since you are big into rules as written if you can deal enough nonlethal damage not to knock them into negatives ferocity never goes off.
You can, assuming you get something that does non lethal damage, which won't be some that most characters pack. If you only have simple weapon proficiency, there are no weapons on the list for that either. Using unarmed strike untrained provokes an AOO, which is a rather bad idea.

You can do nonlethal damage with any weapon with a -4 penalty to your attack.

The Exchange

Yeah and at level 1 when you hit only when you roll above a 10, isn't that easy either.

Anyway John, I fell to the dark side and made some cold remedy out of dom, being the only alcohol of high alcohol content in my house. Then plopped in a tablespoon of honey, warm water...and cheers. I'm not having a stuffy nose now, but I'm not sure how long this fix is gonna last.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

If your sinuses are clear for one week, you may stop. And, if your sinuses drain down your throat, don't swallow it. Go to the restroom and spit into the toilet. The sinus mucus still has viruses in it.

Shadow Lodge

1 person marked this as a favorite.

Well I just add that to the list of reasons I never run anything at level 1.

My games always start at 2. You have the equipment of a level-1 character, so I don't have to mess with the loot (too much), but level-2 characters are just so much less fragile and so much more capable that it's just easier on everyone to start there.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Orthos wrote:

Well I just add that to the list of reasons I never run anything at level 1.

My games always start at 2. You have the equipment of a level-1 character, so I don't have to mess with the loot (too much), but level-2 characters are just so much less fragile and so much more capable that it's just easier on everyone to start there.

Interesting. In your opinion, what's the survivability ratio?

Shadow Lodge

1 person marked this as a favorite.
John Napier 698 wrote:
Orthos wrote:

Well I just add that to the list of reasons I never run anything at level 1.

My games always start at 2. You have the equipment of a level-1 character, so I don't have to mess with the loot (too much), but level-2 characters are just so much less fragile and so much more capable that it's just easier on everyone to start there.

Interesting. In your opinion, what's the survivability ratio?

I obviously can't give hard numbers, but I'd say level-2s are give or take half as likely to die from an encounter at a certain level of challenge for their party as a level-1 is at the same.

A lot of this is due to the fact that a level-1 character can go deep into negatives from a single blow from many challenges the CR system deems completely appropriate for their level, and a single crit even from a below-CR challenge can kill a level-1 from full HP. This is far less likely to happen to a level-2, even assuming the challenge is increased to the equivalent for a level-2 party.

The Exchange

1 person marked this as a favorite.

My nose is blocked again...I'm off to see the doctor =(


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Just a Mort wrote:
My nose is blocked again...I'm off to see the doctor =(

If the doctor gives you medication, don't use alcohol. However, you can still have hot tea with lemon and honey.

The Exchange

1 person marked this as a favorite.

Queue no. 20...I'm at 61...

What kind of tea? Black tea?


6 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting Subscriber

Aaaand... we're done with Skull & Shackles!

Pros: Epically fun. But seriously, a pirate AP? How could it not be?

Cons: The usual, "AP writers don't understand Pathfinder" problems, from casters in small rooms to, "The action you describe them taking isn't rules-legal," to, "Did anyone, ever, during your authoring of this AP, actually playtest any of the optional rulesystems (fleet battles, ship chases) you introduced? And if so, how did you not learn how broken they are?"

So yeah, throw out all the optional rulesets, ignore the tactics-as-written, buff up a few of the bad guys, and you have an amazingly-fun AP.


4 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber

I'm going to run it with Starfinder, because space pirates are better.

Shadow Lodge

1 person marked this as a favorite.
NobodysHome wrote:

Cons: The usual, "AP writers don't understand Pathfinder" problems, from casters in small rooms to, "The action you describe them taking isn't rules-legal," to, "Did anyone, ever, during your authoring of this AP, actually playtest any of the optional rulesystems (fleet battles, ship chases) you introduced? And if so, how did you not learn how broken they are?"

So yeah, throw out all the optional rulesets, ignore the tactics-as-written, buff up a few of the bad guys, and you have an amazingly-fun AP.

Yep, pretty much. Hence why I rebuild so many encounters (that and the fact that my players tend to need enemies buffed or they just steamroll them).

Grand Lodge

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Battles Case Subscriber; Pathfinder Card Game Subscriber; Pathfinder Comics Subscriber

We rolled way OP, but by the end it's become mostly balanced. The only time we ever couldn't handle it was with freaking harpies.


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting Subscriber

In other "interesting" news, I thought the whole, "Game Conglomeration" was going to go:
- I finish running Jade Regent and Crimson Throne
- GothBard finishes running Skull & Shackles (achievement unlocked!)
- We take a 1-3 month hiatus to work on our respective houses
- We start ONE Sunday game in Fremont

So we collapse 3 games into one and get a nice break.
Except all of sudden everyone's rolling up new PCs to start the Fremont game next week.

Er, what?

The Exchange

1 person marked this as a favorite.

I haven't run anything with optional rulesystems yet and from what I'm hearing I probably won't.

I also can't be a pirate due to my lawful nature.

The Exchange

1 person marked this as a favorite.

shameless bump in case anyone wants to chime in.

The Exchange

2 people marked this as a favorite.

My Chinese zodiac sign says I'm gentle, quiet, elegant, quick, skillful, kind and patient and particularly responsible. However, I may be superficial, stubborn, melancholy and overly discreet.

The stubborn part, I get. But gentle, quiet, elegant and patient?!


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber

I'm a dragon I believe.

The Exchange

1 person marked this as a favorite.

I'm a wabbit


1 person marked this as a favorite.

My question is, why do they Purify Food and Water, but not Create Water?

The Exchange

1 person marked this as a favorite.

Because Create food and water is a level 3 spell, while purify food and water is a level 1 spell.

The Exchange

1 person marked this as a favorite.

And this ain't the first airship story I've heard. I've got a Dragon Disciple who's a pryomaniac, who sensed something with his dragon senses(Blind sense), in the ship's engine room.

His answer? I cast fireball into the room. Cue...ship crashing.

The Exchange

1 person marked this as a favorite.

oh wait - create water is a level 1 spell.

Again - if you're on wildness adventures chances are you have purify food and water prepared, but not create water.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Just a Mort wrote:
I'm a wabbit

'Eh, What's up Doc?

The Exchange

1 person marked this as a favorite.

Im sick and just went to see a doctor.


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Just a Mort wrote:

And this ain't the first airship story I've heard. I've got a Dragon Disciple who's a pryomaniac, who sensed something with his dragon senses(Blind sense), in the ship's engine room.

His answer? I cast fireball into the room. Cue...ship crashing.

Once upon a time I was running a 3.5 campaign, and the PCs tracked a bad guy to a sawmill. Their solution? Burn down the mill. I told them "You can do that, sure. Of course, it's the middle of the day and there are a couple of dozen workers there who may die if you do this." Their new solution? Yell "Fire! Fire!" to get the workers running, and then set the mill on fire. It worked. None of the workers died. The bad guy also ran away in the confusion, which my players thought was unfair. Apparently they believed that the bad guy either wouldn't hear the panicked screams, or that he would choose not to flee a burning sawmill.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Just a Mort wrote:
Im sick and just went to see a doctor.

Well ain't that a stinker?


2 people marked this as a favorite.
gran rey de los mono wrote:
Just a Mort wrote:

And this ain't the first airship story I've heard. I've got a Dragon Disciple who's a pryomaniac, who sensed something with his dragon senses(Blind sense), in the ship's engine room.

His answer? I cast fireball into the room. Cue...ship crashing.

Once upon a time I was running a 3.5 campaign, and the PCs tracked a bad guy to a sawmill. Their solution? Burn down the mill. I told them "You can do that, sure. Of course, it's the middle of the day and there are a couple of dozen workers there who may die if you do this." Their new solution? Yell "Fire! Fire!" to get the workers running, and then set the mill on fire. It worked. None of the workers died. The bad guy also ran away in the confusion, which my players thought was unfair. Apparently they believed that the bad guy either wouldn't hear the panicked screams, or that he would choose not to flee a burning sawmill.

Darn villains fleeing with the commotion from a burning building Does their deviousness know no end!?!?!?!


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Snow. Snow all around. Cold. Want back to bed.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Just a Mort wrote:

Queue no. 20...I'm at 61...

What kind of tea? Black tea?

If you prefer. Green tea is good, also.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
All_might! wrote:
gran rey de los mono wrote:
Just a Mort wrote:

And this ain't the first airship story I've heard. I've got a Dragon Disciple who's a pryomaniac, who sensed something with his dragon senses(Blind sense), in the ship's engine room.

His answer? I cast fireball into the room. Cue...ship crashing.

Once upon a time I was running a 3.5 campaign, and the PCs tracked a bad guy to a sawmill. Their solution? Burn down the mill. I told them "You can do that, sure. Of course, it's the middle of the day and there are a couple of dozen workers there who may die if you do this." Their new solution? Yell "Fire! Fire!" to get the workers running, and then set the mill on fire. It worked. None of the workers died. The bad guy also ran away in the confusion, which my players thought was unfair. Apparently they believed that the bad guy either wouldn't hear the panicked screams, or that he would choose not to flee a burning sawmill.
Darn villains fleeing with the commotion from a burning building Does their deviousness know no end!?!?!?!

Next thing you know, the villains will be setting ambushes for the PCs and then running out the back door as soon as their minions are defeated. Did that too. The players were pissed that they were dealing with a bad guy with a survival instinct. "Why doesn't she stand and fight so we can just kill her already!?!" Because she's a recurring villain, not the flavor of the week.

181,951 to 182,000 of 196,820 << first < prev | 3635 | 3636 | 3637 | 3638 | 3639 | 3640 | 3641 | 3642 | 3643 | 3644 | 3645 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Gamer Life / Off-Topic Discussions / Deep 6 FaWtL All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.