Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
About Paizo Messageboards News Paizo Blog Help/FAQ
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

PaizoCon 2014!

Heroes of the Valley


Play-by-Post

251 to 300 of 325 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | next > last >>

The first thing you notice as you near the village is the stench of blood. The village is surrounded by a sturdy palisade, looking peaceful enough, though the gate is barred.


Male Human Rogue 1/Illusionist 0 (favoured class: rogue)

Gaddi grimaces at the stench. "You don't think they're all dead, do you?"


Male Human Eagle Shaman 1

"Only one way to find out." Garlon comments quietly, scanning the walls for guards and listening for signs of life as he approaches the gate. Peregrin sits on his shoulder slightly unnerved by the amount of blood stench in the air.
Garlon Perception 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (1) + 8 = 9
Peregrin Pereception 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (17) + 10 = 27


Peregrin notices movement on the top of the wall; nonthreatening, so maybe there are some survivors.
The gate is gouged noticeably, but would still take a very long time to force open.

Is anyone else still here?


Male Human Eagle Shaman 1

Garlon will call out to any survivors, "What happened here?"

We may need to recruit more people to replace the ones we lost, and just have the dormant current party members stay here in this village, with the replacements being from this village.


Male Human Rogue 1/Illusionist 0 (favoured class: rogue)
Yucale wrote:
Is anyone else still here?

After the big messageboard downtime last weekend, all the x-new and dots disappeared, so the others might not have noticed the thread has become active again. Most dots seem to have returned, however, so hopefully the others will notice soon.

Gaddi warily follows Garlon. He keeps his hand by his crossbow, but doesn't raise or load it yet. He doesn't want to appear threatening.

Perception: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (10) + 3 = 13


We'll give them a bit more time, then recruiting is welcome.

After a long silence, one of the guards calls down in a tense voice, "From where do you hail?"


Male Human Eagle Shaman 1

"We come from the north, sent to investigate the situation here."

We'll probably be at this village for at least a little bit, so some time isn't a problem. I was just pointing out that this is a good spot to swap party members if it comes to that.


Male Human Barbarian (Invulnerable Rager)/1

Still here, though I'm gonna be fairly low-rate for a while, as the FBI tried to shut down my employer last Friday, so work load is high. I'll try to post at least a couple of times every week.

Bjarki looks around, for signs of trouble, and draws his axe. We should probably stay together...just in case...


The gate is slowly opened, though the guards level bows (a precautionary measure) at the Heroes.


Male Human Rogue 1/Illusionist 0 (favoured class: rogue)

Gaddi waves at the guards. "We're friendly! Really! Even the big, weird animal thing that looks sort of like a wolf but not quite." He grins, hoping his smile is enough to put them at ease.

Diplomacy: 1d20 ⇒ 10


Male Human Barbarian (Invulnerable Rager)/1

Stop pointing them pesky bows at me if you want to retain the ability to actually fire a bow, barks Bjarki, giving the guards a gruff look.

Intimidate: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (18) + 1 = 19


The guards lower their bows, but keep their arrows drawn, as some run off as messengers.
The town seems eerily deserted and smells of carrion, but there's not much outright damage visible.

Anyone thinking of recruiting?


Male Human Eagle Shaman 1

We have 3 confirmed players still, 1 or 2 more couldn't hurt, and now is a good time to do it, since it will take some time to get them cleared and up to speed, which can be done while we deal with the people here in town, and have the new people join us as we leave.


That seems like the best idea to me. Having any new PCs be in the town here is a convenient way to bring them aboard.


Male Human Eagle Shaman 1

I went ahead and created an actual OOC thread for the game to make non game discussion easier without breaking up the game thread.


The villagers herd the Heroes to an inn-house, clean though with claw-marks on the door, and provide them with food and drink (and rooms)- apparently to keep their attention from wandering.

Cool. :)


Male Human Eagle Shaman 1

As they are willing through the town, Garlon is looking for clues to what happened here, how recently it happened, and the extent of the damage.
Garlon Perception 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (11) + 8 = 19


Perception 10:
There's rents on some of the buildings and a smell of carrion; probably an attack by marauders or possibly some sort of dangerous wild animal?

Perception 17:
The rents on the doors look like claw-marks, but are about chest-high. While there was some sort of bloody combat, you guess there were only about a dozen men involved. The villagers are still edgy but are recovering well from the attack.

Perception 17, Knowledge 17:
The legends of wolf-men, werewolves, come to mind.


Male Human Rogue 1/Illusionist 0 (favoured class: rogue)

Perception: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (3) + 3 = 6

Gaddi stares at the clouds and is completely oblivious to anything going on.


Male Human Eagle Shaman 1

Knowledge (nature) 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (15) + 8 = 23

Garlon frowns slightly at the marks on the doors, as they remind him far too much of the conversation they had earlier with the girl at the hut, but he waits to say anything until he hears what they have to say about what happened.


I'm going to wait until the new players have joined up; because of course you're going to be meeting in an inn :)


A tall man sits at a table in the corner with a fine greataxe within reach, dark green eyes watching the room as he slowly drinks from his flagon. His notices the group as they enter and his eyes widen slightly with recognition. This group looked liked the people that had been sent on the quest to the other end of the Valley.
Whether you notice that Einar seem to know you(or at least of you), I leave up to you. I can wait until something happens before blowing stuff up! ;) Feel free to recognize him too, since I don't doubt his backstory wouldn't cause a few rumors to spread...


At the other end of the common room, Ylvan sits, apparently playing a game of hnefatafl with a large raven. The two talk almost constantly in a flurry of chirps and squawks to each other as they push the stones around the board.

When they entered, Ylvan greeted Einar briefly, but not in an unfriendly manner (for her at least). The two know each other, as they share a common interest in the herbs and other mysteries of the world around them. They also share the common bond of both being social pariahs in the town. But Ylvan is hard to make friends with and their conversations have mostly been about the properties of wolfsbane, blackcap mushrooms, or similar subjects.


Male Human Eagle Shaman 1

Garlon entered the inn quietly, and seeing two individuals who he was at least somewhat familiar with from his own wandering of the woods, nods to Ylvan and her raven as he goes to sit down by Einar. Peregrin remains firmly on his shoulder, watchful as he always is in an unfamiliar place. "So did you come by choice?"


Male Tiefling Conjurer 2 (AC/Mage Armor: 15/19 [T: 13 FF: 12/16] | HP: 17/24 | F+1, R+3, W+3 (+5 vs. Illusions) | Init: +3 |Perc: +2/+4 [Voroan: +9])

As the party enters a well-groomed, decent looking lad, with a slight frame, watches them from the corner of his eye as he continues his story for whoever is willing to listen. Especially the ladies.

"..so I said to him 'Well, my good Sir, if you care to dance with death'" the lad moves his hand in an arc as if drawing a make-believe blade "I drew my blade and said 'then it will be your last dance.' and the dance of blades began."

He takes a small sip of his drink, wetting his throat, "Needless to say, after that dance only one of us was able to take a bow... and it wasn't him." He finishes, stating that which he had just declared as needless.

Yucale:
If you are familiar with Harry Potter, Tyrus is roughly like Prof. Gilderoy Lockhart except for the erasing memories.3d6 ⇒ (6, 1, 4) = 11 X10 for gear money


Garlon Maharis wrote:
"So did you come by choice?"

"Aye. My teacher decided I should try and find the group headed for the other side of the Valley. To see if I could help. What about you?" Einar asks, eying the eagle. Did one of the group have such a bird?


Male Human Eagle Shaman 1

"Well, you have found us. I am Garlon, and this (pointing to the bird) is Peregrin; you may not remember me, but we have met briefly in the woods from time to time. Do you know anything of what happened here? I have my suspicions, but I am waiting for confirmation at the moment."


Male Tiefling Conjurer 2 (AC/Mage Armor: 15/19 [T: 13 FF: 12/16] | HP: 17/24 | F+1, R+3, W+3 (+5 vs. Illusions) | Init: +3 |Perc: +2/+4 [Voroan: +9])

"Ah,so you folks are the ones heading across the valley." Tyrus states the obvious.

"Well, then it is a good thing you guys have found me, I am well known in my village for my prowess." He flashes a quick smile, and stands with his hands on his hips, puffing out his chest.

"You folk look as if you will be helpful in whatever task it is that they want me to resolve. I would definitely appreciate your assistance." He states politely.


Since I was already here, I'm going to make a Perception check and use the appropriate spoiler above.
Perception:1d20 + 2 ⇒ (11) + 2 = 13

Einar looks Garlon over again, and makes the connection with the man he'd meet in the forest.

"Yes.. I remember you now. I always thought it was strange to see someone else in the woods and not collecting firewood or hunting all the time! Well, while I'm glad that I found you, the only assistance I can give you is that I think the people here have been attacked recently. Ylvan, the lady with the raven over there, may know more."

Einar grins slightly as Tyrus begins talking.

"I'm Einar, well-known in my village for being moonstruck crazy. I'm sure we'll all be able to help each other."


Male Human Eagle Shaman 1

Garlon sighs at Tyrus's boasting. "Can you do something other than toot your own horn? I don't think what we are going to be facing is going to be impressed just by words, and I know that I am not." Going over to check out the game between Ylvan and the raven, "So who is winning?"


Male Tiefling Conjurer 2 (AC/Mage Armor: 15/19 [T: 13 FF: 12/16] | HP: 17/24 | F+1, R+3, W+3 (+5 vs. Illusions) | Init: +3 |Perc: +2/+4 [Voroan: +9])

"Oh, good Sir, if they were nothing more than empty words, then I would understand your consternation." He chuckles, "There is, however, a reason I have the reputation I have amongst my people. You will surely get an opportunity to see my prowess first-hand when we find what we are looking for."

Don't know if it matters, but I will go ahead and roll the perc and knowledge from earlier as well. Just in case. Knowledge 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (15) + 3 = 18, Perception 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (2) + 1 = 3. So, since I didn't make the perception, my knowledge roll wouldn't come up right?


Male Human Rogue 1/Illusionist 0 (favoured class: rogue)

"I have a reputation amongst my people for being totally incompetent," Gaddi says, sitting down with the others. "That's why they sent me. I've won awards for incompetence. It's the only thing I'm actually good at. Or so they tell me." He grins. "Well, actually, my dad sent me on this because he thinks I'm a powerful wizard. Which I'm not. Well, not yet anyway. But he thinks I am. Or maybe he doesn't and he just wanted to get rid of me. Either way, I'm here."


Male Human Eagle Shaman 1

"I know my father wanted to be rid of me. That's why I volunteered to escape his house the second the opportunity came up. I respect the Northern Houses enough to carry out this task, but the chances of me returning there when it is done are scant at best. I'm betting that the other elders had to force my father to pay for my crossbow; he certainly didn't look thrilled handing it over to someone he was not likely to ever see again. I think he shed more tears on the crossbow than he did on me."


"It sounds like, for some of us, this quest will be the best thing to happen in our lives so far. I'll do my best to make sure we can get a strong drink afterward!"


Tyrus Julty wrote:

"Oh, good Sir, if they were nothing more than empty words, then I would understand your consternation." He chuckles, "There is, however, a reason I have the reputation I have amongst my people. You will surely get an opportunity to see my prowess first-hand when we find what we are looking for."

Don't know if it matters, but I will go ahead and roll the perc and knowledge from earlier as well. Just in case. Knowledge 1d20+3, Perception 1d20+1. So, since I didn't make the perception, my knowledge roll wouldn't come up right?

Correct.

those of you who are new recruits; you arrived recently, so you weren't here during the actually attack, but you know that six men were killed or lost their lives later due to injuries, while the beast was driven off.


When Garlon inquires into the game, Ylvan gives him a toothy grin and responds "The King always wins, after all, the worst he can do is be captured. Now all these men fighting over him, they're the losers. Whether they be his captors or defenders, many of them will die."

As the conversation turns to the attack on the town, she puts forward what she knows. "Well then, I helped treat some of the men that were injured in the attack. They had deep claw wounds and tales of a strong beast that came from the dark. I couldn't tell what sort of animal it was from their description, but probably a bear or wolf.... strange that one would attack a town like this though. And it sounds persistent, like it wasn't after food, after all, six men fell before it was fought off."

Perception and Knowledge rolls:

Perception: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (17) + 3 = 20
Knowledge (Arcana or Nature): 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (5) + 8 = 13


Male Human Eagle Shaman 1

"I like that answer. The kings always seem to find a way to survive, no matter how many men they have to sacrifice in order to do so. As I said before about the creature, I have my suspicions and fears, but until they are fully confirmed, I do want to say anything more."


Male Human Barbarian (Invulnerable Rager)/1

Bjarki greets each of the new people in turn, finishing with Tyrus. Bjarki is clearly amused at the smaller man's boasts, but tries to hide it nonetheless. It is good to have a skjald among us to sing of Valhalla; thus we may face death unafraid.


Male Tiefling Conjurer 2 (AC/Mage Armor: 15/19 [T: 13 FF: 12/16] | HP: 17/24 | F+1, R+3, W+3 (+5 vs. Illusions) | Init: +3 |Perc: +2/+4 [Voroan: +9])

Tyrus looks sidelong at the big man and twitches just slightly as Bjarki speaks.

He responds in kind, "Oh, tis true ye of the neck indiscernable, I am indeed a boon to have. But, I do not intend to face death until long after my enemies have faced him themselves."


"A strong beast? Sounds like we may be in for a good battle if it decides to come back! It will be a good way to test the Fair Art* in a fight!" Einar says when Ylvan tells of the men whose wounds she attended. "I look forward to meeting this creature now."

*Alchemy


Male Human Eagle Shaman 1

"I just hope you don't plan on fighting this creature with mere steel. I have seen enough indications to believe that it is not what most people would consider to be a normal enemy."


"My axe.." Einar says as he gestures to his weapon leaning against the wall next to him, "Is not the only weapon I have at my disposal. I'll not ruin the surprise, but I will say that my teacher is the reason I'm thought crazy."


Male Human Eagle Shaman 1

"Of course you're crazy, we all are. Only a crazy person would think that chasing shadows and danger is better than living out life quietly under the shadow of the hearthstone, now matter how unwelcome one is at said hearthstone." Garlon chuckles quietly as speaks. "I wonder if our hosts plan on checking in on us at some point, or if they plan on simply letting us sit here until we get bored of the place?"


Male Tiefling Conjurer 2 (AC/Mage Armor: 15/19 [T: 13 FF: 12/16] | HP: 17/24 | F+1, R+3, W+3 (+5 vs. Illusions) | Init: +3 |Perc: +2/+4 [Voroan: +9])

"Well, until they do, I say it would be most fortuitous, that means good, Shoulders" he looks to the giant of a man, "if we took this opportunity in their absentia to introduce ourselves at greater length. Really get to know what we bring to the table." he suggests.

"I shall begin, I am called Tyrus Julty, some call me Ty but I prefer Tyrus. I hail from a small town at the south end of the mountains known as Yarlhoff." he continues "It is there I am well known for my skill in combat. I am capable of providing purpose, direction, and motivation to the side of good, and the sting of my rapier to those on the side of wrong."

I just made a town name up, I don't know if that matters as I'm not sure if we are in any particular world.

Sense Motive DC 10:
Bluff 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (2) + 8 = 10 He's obviously talking up his swordsmanship, as much more than it is in reality.


Tyrus Julty wrote:

"Well, until they do, I say it would be most fortuitous, that means good, Shoulders" he looks to the giant of a man, "if we took this opportunity in their absentia to introduce ourselves at greater length. Really get to know what we bring to the table." he suggests.

"I shall begin, I am called Tyrus Julty, some call me Ty but I prefer Tyrus. I hail from a small town at the south end of the mountains known as Yarlhoff." he continues "It is there I am well known for my skill in combat. I am capable of providing purpose, direction, and motivation to the side of good, and the sting of my rapier to those on the side of wrong."

I just made a town name up, I don't know if that matters as I'm not sure if we are in any particular world.

** spoiler omitted **

We're not in any particular world; feel free to make up town names or such, just don't go overboard.


Male Human Eagle Shaman 1

"I suppose we may as well. If it isn't already quite obvious, Peregrin and I are skilled in the ways of the woods. As to where I came from, tis unimportant, as I am effectively dead and probably already in the grave there." Garlon just rolls his eyes at Tyrus' boasting, "I'll believe it when I see it. Until then, it's just words."

Sense Motive 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (3) + 8 = 11


Sense Motive:1d20 - 2 ⇒ (6) - 2 = 4

"Well I hope you can put your sword skills to good use!" Einar replies as Tyrus tells of his abilities. "Now, as for myself, you already know about my axe. What you may not know..." Einar pauses as he looks around, "Is that I can brew drinks that can seal wounds or make you into a small giant! And that's just what I can brew that other people can use without getting sick. I was taught a bit of woods skill, but I'm sure I don't have the same kind of skill as Garlon."


Male Human Rogue 1/Illusionist 0 (favoured class: rogue)

Gaddi looks up sheepishly. "I'm Gaddi," he says. "Like I said before, my father sent me because he thinks I'm a great wizard. I'm not. But I have learned a few things! I'll get the magic figured out eventually. I'm also pretty good at sneaking around. I can shoot a crossbow and I sort of know how to swing a sword. Kind of. Oh, and I know how to...um...break things. That is, make them not work properly." He blushes slightly. "I guess anyone can do that, right? But I mean break them so that I don't get hurt or noticed in return. Like when people set traps to stop you from...um...well, when people set traps, I can stop those traps without setting them off."

Sense Motive: 1d20 - 1 ⇒ (11) - 1 = 10


Male Human Barbarian (Invulnerable Rager)/1

My name is Bjarki, son of Bjorn. My name means "little bear" in the language of our forefathers, he say with a smile, the joke accentuated by his 6½ foot muscled frame. As for this beast...I've never seen a tree I couldn't fell with my axe, nor do I believe this beast will stand long against the combined might of us.

At the mention of a potion that can turn a man into a giant, Bjarki shows sign of interest.

251 to 300 of 325 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Heroes of the Valley All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.