Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
About Paizo Messageboards News Paizo Blog Help/FAQ
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

Grim Howler


Round 1 - Open Call: Create a Wondrous Item

RPG Superstar 2011 Top 16 , Star Voter 2013 aka Anry

Grim Howler
Aura moderate conjuration, enchantment, and necromancy; CL 8th
Slot none; Price 57,000 gp; Weight 5 lbs.
Description
This crude horn is often made from bones or horns of horrific beasts, though some have been made with great conical shells. When blown it unleashes a hellish howl that rattles a listener’s very soul, and because of this they are coveted treasures of orc tribes. The horns are also said to be able to call monstrous armies to the blower’s command.

As a part of an Intimidate check, a wielder creature can use the horn to demoralize all opponents within 60 ft. with its rattling howl. If a bard uses the horn as the audible component for his dirge of doom performance, the range of the dirge increases to 60 feet and the bard does not have to be seen for the performance to take effect. Creatures that are already shaken can become frightened or panicked from these effects.

Three times per day, the horn can be used as the verbal component for a summon monster spell. When used in this way, the spell is considered evil and will summon an additional creature from a lower list than chosen during casting. This ability cannot be used to modify a summon monster I spell.
Construction
Requirements Craft Wonderous Item, fear, summon monster II; Cost 28,500 gp

RPG Superstar 2009, Contributor

Interesting. Useful. Tacks on an extra lower-level monster to a summoning spell to give them a little added boost. So, it's not just a SIAC. The dirge of doom magnification is thematically appropriate. Good execution of the template, but I'm disappointed they didn't run a spellcheck (i.e., Craft Wonderous Item is grating on me). Even so, let's keep this one around for further discussion.

Vote to Keep.

CEO, Goblinworks

Concur with Neil.

RyanD

Contributor

I'd like some clarification on the summon monster bit (does this mean "if you're using the summon spell to summon multiple creatures from a lower level spell, you get one additional monster of that type," or is it "if summoning a monster from the level 3 list, will it randomly also give you a monster from the level 2 list?"), but it's a cool item.

Keep!

Paizo Employee Developer

I think this item could have benefited from another edit pass to pick out some awkward language. "A wielder creature" and the plurality shift from "horn" to "horns" and "it" to "they" and back again in the first paragraph is also a jarring.

But it's an interesting item that plays off a bard's class abilities well, and I like that the designer's trying to do something innovative with summon monster, even if it could be better explained.

I'm a weak keep on this one.

RPG Superstar 2008 Top 16, 2010 Top 4

Nice thematics, and cool use of the Intimidate skill with the horn. One thing I note, if the horn is made from baddie parts, favored by cruel orcs, and can make summon monster spells evil, why does it not have an evil aura itself, like, say, a darkskull?

Contributor, RPG Superstar 2010 , Dedicated Voter 2013, Dedicated Voter 2014

I like the name, howlers (the monster) aren’t in Pathfinder IIRC, but even if they were, I would still like the name. It’s a fear horn and your fluff is nice, but I would personally prefer that it wasn’t an evil only horn. The good guys can intimidate people too. :-) The orc tribes bit is slightly out of place. What typical orc tribe can afford a 57,000 gp horn?

The Intimidate ability is fine. This thing has unlimited uses and is cumulative on the levels of fear, which I’m glad you spelled out, making the high cost a necessity.

The summoning ability is wonky, if I use a summon monster spell to summon an angel, that’s considered evil? It would have been better to restrict it to be only able to be used for summoning evil monsters. As others have pointed out the second last sentence is unclear, you also have the word ‘will’ in it which is a no-no. Lastly, does the blower get to choose the lower level monster or is it random?

Welcome to the ranks of RPG Superstar! Use the judges’ feedback to work on the little things that they have spotted, especially the grammar stuff, and show everyone the superstar potential that you certainly have. Best of luck!

Contributor, RPG Superstar 2010 Top 4

I like it, but it definitely needed some more editing.

That being said, I’m not going to pound on it any longer. My fellow judges have covered all the issues that I can see.

You avoided the SAIC trap nicely, and even though it is not technically evil, it is definitely evil themed. Evil bard items are rare, so that is a nod to you. As Clark Peterson once pointed out, it is perfectly legitimate to make an item that might be used by NPCs and evil characters.

Good job! Recruit some buddies you can trust to help you edit your next entries. You have an original idea here and some fresh thoughts in regards to the potential benefits that an item can grant. Keep it up and perhaps we’ll be blowing your horn in future rounds!

RPG Superstar 2011 Top 16 , Star Voter 2013 aka Anry

Well damn, I was honestly surprised, and at first I didn't see my name in the listing. Well this has to be the best ending to a work day EVER.

Contributor, RPG Superstar 2010 Top 4

Ryan Marsh wrote:
Well damn, I was honestly surprised, and at first I didn't see my name in the listing. Well this has to be the best ending to a work day EVER.

Enjoy it Ryan, you earned it!

RPG Superstar 2011 Top 16 , Star Voter 2013 aka Anry

I read the critiques and all I want to do is fix it now. Need to finish next entry first though.

Contributor, RPG Superstar 2010 Top 4

Ryan Marsh wrote:
I read the critiques and all I want to do is fix it now. Need to finish next entry first though.

Resist it if you can Ryan. I know Neil has done this, and so have I and many others.. But let me share my greatest regret of 2010.

The last Round comes quicker and harder than you think. You should always be focused on the next round, and if you truly have time on your hands, think about the last round. An adventure proposal is hard. So once your archetype is done, that is where your energy belongs until you know your next assignment (and then that becomes your highest priority).

That is the best advice I have, period. In all of RPG Superstar.

Ever see that Disney Pixar movie, "Meet the Robinsons"? The message you want to take from that is, "Keep moving forward."

Don't look back.

RPG Superstar 2011 Top 16 , Star Voter 2013 aka Anry

Y'know I don't remember that movie all that well. Except this part.

RPG Superstar 2011 Top 16 , Star Voter 2013 aka Anry

Sean K Reynolds wrote:

I'd like some clarification on the summon monster bit (does this mean "if you're using the summon spell to summon multiple creatures from a lower level spell, you get one additional monster of that type," or is it "if summoning a monster from the level 3 list, will it randomly also give you a monster from the level 2 list?"), but it's a cool item.

Keep!

If it was to be generated randomly I would have stated so in the description. I found I was over explaining that part too much and it was eating up my word count.

Summon monster IX, you summon 1d4+1 Fiendish T-Rex's using the 7th level list. You then can summon one additional creature from a lower list than that (6th and below). I hope that clarifies it.

As for making the spell evil, I was using a mechanic to maintain the theme of the item. The final paragraph of summon monster I it states that if you summon a creature with an alignment subtype the spell becomes that type. Forcing users to choose fiendish creatures, demons, and devils for summons. This also only limits clerical use of the item and not all casters.

Jim Groves wrote:

I like it, but it definitely needed some more editing.

That being said, I’m not going to pound on it any longer. My fellow judges have covered all the issues that I can see.

You avoided the SAIC trap nicely, and even though it is not technically evil, it is definitely evil themed. Evil bard items are rare, so that is a nod to you. As Clark Peterson once pointed out, it is perfectly legitimate to make an item that might be used by NPCs and evil characters.

Good job! Recruit some buddies you can trust to help you edit your next entries. You have an original idea here and some fresh thoughts in regards to the potential benefits that an item can grant. Keep it up and perhaps we’ll be blowing your horn in future rounds!

*looks at his English Major buddies whom he got to go over the item before submitting it with a “What happened?” look.*

Thanks for the criticism. It will be made better when I get a chance.

Qadira RPG Superstar 2011 Top 32 aka Sect

Ryan Marsh wrote:
Y'know I don't remember that movie all that well. Except this part.

Ah, now I see a design flaw in the horn: no way he can use it with his tiny arms. :D

Cool, fun item, though a bit expensive for my tastes. Should probably have an evil aura.

RPG Superstar 2011 Top 16 , Star Voter 2013 aka Anry

Sean Huguenard wrote:
Ryan Marsh wrote:
Y'know I don't remember that movie all that well. Except this part.

Ah, now I see a design flaw in the horn: no way he can use it with his tiny arms. :D

Cool, fun item, though a bit expensive for my tastes. Should probably have an evil aura.

Yep despite his massive head he would be unable to take advantage of the howler. But who needs a horn when its built in.


I like this item. It's neat.

It seems odd to say "a wielder creature", instead just say "the wielder".

I think that if it's going to modify summon monster spells of higher level, then I should get an extra monster from the summon monster I list when I cast summon monster I.

RPG Superstar 2011 Top 16 , Star Voter 2013 aka Anry

Swamp Druid wrote:

I like this item. It's neat.

It seems odd to say "a wielder creature", instead just say "the wielder".

I think that if it's going to modify summon monster spells of higher level, then I should get an extra monster from the summon monster I list when I cast summon monster I.

That awkward sentence was thanks to a midsentence change decision and failed Perception checks by myself and my friendly neighbourhood editors.


If this was to show up in a loot pile I would be happy to find it -- especially since I'm playing a diabloist arcane bloodline sorcerer right now -- I have the ranks and bonuses for intimidate, and I summon devils anyways so it's good on all angles -- without being a bard.

To me that's a great sign of a good item -- when you want it and it isn't even technically for your class.

Shadow Lodge

Ryan Marsh wrote:
As for making the spell evil, I was using a mechanic to maintain the theme of the item. The final paragraph of summon monster I it states that if you summon a creature with an alignment subtype the spell becomes that type. Forcing users to choose fiendish creatures, demons, and devils for summons. This also only limits clerical use of the item and not all casters.

The whole turning-spells-evil was my only complaint, and I think the best choice would be to revise the description of the item. Instead of being made from an evil beastie, it should be made from something good and pure, like a unicorn or something.

RPG Superstar 2011 Top 16 , Star Voter 2013 aka Anry

Varthanna wrote:
Ryan Marsh wrote:
As for making the spell evil, I was using a mechanic to maintain the theme of the item. The final paragraph of summon monster I it states that if you summon a creature with an alignment subtype the spell becomes that type. Forcing users to choose fiendish creatures, demons, and devils for summons. This also only limits clerical use of the item and not all casters.
The whole turning-spells-evil was my only complaint, and I think the best choice would be to revise the description of the item. Instead of being made from an evil beastie, it should be made from something good and pure, like a unicorn or something.

I'm not sure if this is two seperate thoughts or one thought with subthought attached.

Is it:

A) You beleive the howler shouldn't turn spells evil. And that it would be more grim to use the part of pure creature.

Response:
Removing the evil type from the summoning spells is not an essential mechanic and could easily be removed, though I beleive that would remove some of the thematics I was going for. Though I do beleive that perhaps making the Grim Howler out of the vocal cords of a couatl would make it a much darker item.

OR

B) That it shouldn't turn spells evil, so change the description to something different as well.

Response:
This would be an entire change of the theme of the item. Though mechanically this would be small, the description, the fluff text, and name would have to change. This would be an entirely different item. I beleive it would be easy to create a good aligned version, and a more nature-based version as well. Thinking about it I may well just do that.


Personally I think this item is amazing. 10/10.

My only complaint is the item price, but hey... I'm just never a fan of items I can't get at lvl 6 or earlier lol.

Osirion RPG Superstar 2009 Top 4 , Star Voter 2013 aka raidou

Ryan, welcome to the competition! For reasons I can't quite pin down, I always tend to look fondly on tribal or totem items. Your item here is no exception. At its core this is a horn with a demoralizing effect that you can execute a couple ways... Intimidate and Bard Performance. I like that the horn can escalate fear, since Intimidate and Dirge of Doom normally max out at Shaken. I'm not 100% sold on being able to just use the horn to intimidate without some kind of perform check. I also think it's overpriced for what you actually get from it. Others have already commented on the clarity issues regarding your Summon effect. Good job and good luck in future rounds!


This is a nicely done item in my book. Not a wow item, but definately still in the upper half of items here. I particularly like how you tied the use of the horn as part of an Intimidate skill check. Personally, I'd would've given it a range of 120 feet, sort of a low powered Lion's Roar. I particularly love the dirge of doom tie-in.

Star Voter 2013

Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber

Personally, I have a couple problems with this item, mostly related to the intimidate ability.
1. Can you use it only when demoralizing, or on any intimidate check? The way it is worded it is unclear. I can see players pulling out the horn in the middle of a minute long conversation to add the shaken effect too. It should specify if it is only usable when demoralizing, which I think is its point.
2. It is better than a feat. Way better. It blows the simmilar feat away. Dazzling display is a full round action that affects 30 ft. This is a standard action that affects 60 ft.
3. It is unclear if the item is compatible with various non-standard action ways to demoralize. How would this combine with the Enforcer feat? Would everyone have the extended duration?
4. No limit on uses means this would be going off every round. Enemies would be promoted to fear by round 2 every combat. Any intimidation-based character can trivially hit the DCs for enemies by the time you can afford this item.

Overall, I think you need to specify "when using a standard action to demoralize" instead of "as part of an intimidation check," or perhaps make it a full round action.

I want to like this item. I love the way multiple classes can bennefit from it, even though it has class specific abilities. I don't like the way it obsoletes a feat though, and think a few other things need to be clarified.

Qadira RPG Superstar 2008 Top 6, Contributor , Dedicated Voter 2013

I like the summoning enhancement a fair bit, and especially the increased radius for dirge of doom. I don't like the area-of-effect intimidate. Part of this is due to issues already in the game with stacking the shaken condition and getting cheap fear effects, the item's cost mitigates this, but I still think it's "too good" compared to similar mass intimidate abilities already in the game. And it really needs to specify that it can't stack with itself, due to allowing it to stack on top of shaken in the first place. I'd probably drop that whole ability or put a HD limit on it - I don't really see high HD creatures being disturbed by the horn anyway. In any case, compare to the 30,000 gp drums of panic, which affect a smaller radius and allow a save, but do take a creature straight to panicked. I'd rate these a lot more powerful than the drums of panic to a character built to use them (particularly since they can be used every round), and they have other uses besides.

The only other nitpick is the name. It's rattling to see a Harry Potter monster and a Pathfinder monster stitched together into an item's name.

RPG Superstar 2011 Top 16 , Star Voter 2013 aka Anry

Russ Taylor wrote:


The only other nitpick is the name. It's rattling to see a Harry Potter monster and a Pathfinder monster stitched together into an item's name.

Quoi? More to the Harry Potter reference.

RPG Superstar 2011 Top 8 aka The Leaping Gnome

This is pretty cool. I don't care about the summoning stuff, but that's just because I don't like summoning in general. I think there need to be a few more class specific items in general

Caineach makes some good points but I don't know about the feat thing, since I just see Dazzling Display as a way to get to Shatter Defenses and Deadly Strike (there are way better things to do with a full round action). It could use some kind of a cap though (like the fear doesn't stack with itself or something) but other than that, really cool item.

Also,

Ryan Marsh wrote:
Well damn, I was honestly surprised, and at first I didn't see my name in the listing. Well this has to be the best ending to a work day EVER.

I know exactly how you feel! Congratulations! See you round two.

RPG Superstar 2011 Top 16 , Star Voter 2013 aka Anry

Trevor Merback wrote:

This is pretty cool. I don't care about the summoning stuff, but that's just because I don't like summoning in general. I think there need to be a few more class specific items in general

Caineach makes some good points but I don't know about the feat thing, since I just see Dazzling Display as a way to get to Shatter Defenses and Deadly Strike (there are way better things to do with a full round action). It could use some kind of a cap though (like the fear doesn't stack with itself or something) but other than that, really cool item.

Also,

Ryan Marsh wrote:
Well damn, I was honestly surprised, and at first I didn't see my name in the listing. Well this has to be the best ending to a work day EVER.
I know exactly how you feel! Congratulations! See you round two.

Which is comign up very quickly. O.o


Ryan Marsh wrote:
Grim Howler

I can dig this. The summoning enhancement seems a little off-theme to me - I'd rather see an item that grants the summoned monster a simple template or a special ability rather than just giving you one more pet from a lower list. Still, not bad. Congrats!

RPG Superstar 2009 Top 32, 2010 Top 8 , Star Voter 2013

I like this. Fluff is appropriate, if the mechanic is a little unclear. I can picture an Orc Bard with this. The cost is high but it fits. Another item that might show up in 'my' orc held lands.


Hm. this is a bit much of SAK ( 3 different effects: boosting intimidate, bardic music, and summoning) for my tastes and with that the theme seems to be weaker than it could be. The individual abilities don't really wow me and aren't too innovative ( aside from the summoning one at that is kind of vague), but I can see that the item is well written ( aside from some minor slip-ups "wielder creature", "wonderous item",...) and it actually was fun to read it.
For me it would be somewhere in the middle field.
I look forward to see your round 2 entry, maybe try to be a bit more daring in your design if you wish to finally win me over though ;)

Andoran

I like this, but can anyone offer any insight on why it is so damn expensive?

I want one, but I don't want to give up a Robe of Stars for one. Or a Cube of Force, or any other similarly priced items. As someone who hopes to get to this stage next year, I'd like to hear how you got to 57,000GP, if you have time and if it's not too much trouble.

Star Voter 2013, Dedicated Voter 2014

Congratulations Ryan!
Strength (Overall): 14
Dexterity (see time in my campaign): 12
Constitution (long-time keeper): 12
Intelligence (mechanics): 14
Wisdom (writing craft): 14
Charisma (flavor/visuals): 16
Though the horn/horn in the first sentence threw me off, I think the conchy shell brought it right back. Nice. I agree it is too SAK for my tastes, but that is easily fixed. mechanics were wonky on one bit but worked well for the others. This is just to say a reread or outside eyes will help you get through future rounds because you know what you are doing. :)
Again, congratulations! :)

EDIT: Grimm were big black dogs of doom in HP; Prisoner of Azkaban. Harry saw one in his tea leaves (and thought he saw them everywhere else too :)

RPG Superstar 2011 Top 16 , Star Voter 2013 aka Anry

Curaigh wrote:

Congratulations Ryan!

Strength (Overall): 14
Dexterity (see time in my campaign): 12
Constitution (long-time keeper): 12
Intelligence (mechanics): 14
Wisdom (writing craft): 14
Charisma (flavor/visuals): 16
Though the horn/horn in the first sentence threw me off, I think the conchy shell brought it right back. Nice. I agree it is too SAK for my tastes, but that is easily fixed. mechanics were wonky on one bit but worked well for the others. This is just to say a reread or outside eyes will help you get through future rounds because you know what you are doing. :)
Again, congratulations! :)

EDIT: Grimm were big black dogs of doom in HP; Prisoner of Azkaban. Harry saw one in his tea leaves (and thought he saw them everywhere else too :)

Ah thanks. Never have read the series.

RPG Superstar 2011 Top 16 , Star Voter 2013 aka Anry

Hmmm...so there will likely be a twist on Round 3, so besides thinking up a few possible ideas, can't do much there.

I suppose while I've got some time I'll give a whirl of fixing up the Grim Howler.

Andoran RPG Superstar 2011 Top 32 , Star Voter 2013

I like magic horns and summon monster so this item works for me. I think the item should specify that it summons one extra monster from a Summon Monster Spell one level lower than the one just cast. Just to make it clear.


Ryan Marsh wrote:

Grim Howler

Aura moderate conjuration, enchantment, and necromancy; CL 8th
Slot none; Price 57,000 gp; Weight 5 lbs.
Description
This crude horn is often made from bones or horns of horrific beasts, though some have been made with great conical shells. When blown it unleashes a hellish howl that rattles a listener’s very soul, and because of this they are coveted treasures of orc tribes. The horns are also said to be able to call monstrous armies to the blower’s command.

As a part of an Intimidate check, a wielder creature can use the horn to demoralize all opponents within 60 ft. with its rattling howl. If a bard uses the horn as the audible component for his dirge of doom performance, the range of the dirge increases to 60 feet and the bard does not have to be seen for the performance to take effect. Creatures that are already shaken can become frightened or panicked from these effects.

Three times per day, the horn can be used as the verbal component for a summon monster spell. When used in this way, the spell is considered evil and will summon an additional creature from a lower list than chosen during casting. This ability cannot be used to modify a summon monster I spell.
Construction
Requirements Craft Wonderous Item, fear, summon monster II; Cost 28,500 gp

Disclaimer:

Ask A RPGSuperstar Succubus is posting from the point of view of a CE aligned succubus – fairness is an adjective applicable to hair coloration, balance is what a couple of mortals on opposite ends of a plank pivoted on a rocky spire above a drop of several hundred feet into a pool of molten basalt frantically try to do, and logic is something which proves anything a demon of adequate status and charm requires it to demonstrate.

Is the item Pretty?
No.

Does the item help a demonic seductress to keep a paladin house pet?
No.

Is the item otherwise useful?
Probably not.

Other Comments? (including World Domination potential on the evil laughter scale, where appropriate)
This is one of those items which you stick on a table or hang up on a wall as an objet d'art for people making social calls to talk with you about. It's large, it's crudely noise, and has a lot in common with a certain oaf I could name (but won't) including in terms of practical uselessness to a discerning succubus except as a conversation piece.
As far as powers go, it either scares people within a very limited range (implying that you're likely in harm's way in the first place to be using it), or assists practitioners of the arts of Conjuration magic, of whom there are far too many, who get far too much help, and who should be sent to the coldest, darkest, region of the Abyss, flayed of their skin, and then returned to the prime material and buried up to their arm-pits in quicksand in front of an advancing lava flow. (And that's just for a start.)
WHAT IS THE POINT OF AN ITEM WHICH MAKES THE LIFE OF A SUMMONER EVEN EASIER? They are almost entirely (with the exception of the occasional paladin who dabbles in the arts), smug, overly-arrogant imbeciles who are only bearable because you know that somewhere down the line there is a special place in the Hells, Abaddon, or the Abyss being prepared for them - which will be full of suffering.
<goes away>
<returns after a while>
Apologies. I just needed to get that off my chest. I have had a succession of recent unpleasant experiences with a number of Andoren oiks. I have now located the source of the problem and razed it, with extreme prejudice. A large quantity of salt has been scattered, at least three of the Andoren sorcerers and wizards in question are now dead, and the rest are Very Sorry.
Still, I would have to question the sanity of putting additional power into the hands of folk who think it humorous to make outer planar beings their lackeys, even at a price-tag of 57,000 gold. The inconvenience that those people cause should be worth at least doubling that price.
World Domination Potential:
Hahaha

Gollum Rating:
Hissssss!

Edit:
Okay, on a more serious note, there are occasional succubus bards around who would, I have little doubt, make very good use of the item's ability to put the fear of Orcus into creatures whilst the blower is strategically positioned behind some very solid cover.

RPG Superstar 2011 Top 16 , Star Voter 2013 aka Anry

Ask A RPGSupersuccubus wrote:


Disclaimer:
Ask A RPGSuperstar Succubus is posting from the point of view of a CE aligned succubus – fairness is an adjective applicable to hair coloration, balance is what a couple of mortals on opposite ends of a plank pivoted on a rocky spire above a drop of several hundred feet into a pool of molten basalt frantically try to do, and logic is something which proves anything a demon of adequate status and charm requires it to demonstrate.

Is the item Pretty?
No.

Does the item help a demonic seductress to keep a paladin...

That had to be the most enjoyable thing I've read today.

RPG Superstar 2011 Top 16 , Star Voter 2013 aka Shadow-Mask

Flavor-wise, I enjoy it. Scaring the whatchamacallit out of enemies is always a good time. :)

Congratulations.

RPG Superstar 2011 Top 16 , Star Voter 2013 aka Anry

Thank you :)

RPG Superstar 2011 Top 16 , Star Voter 2013

Very neat! It's often hard to find an item that does many divergent things, but manages to keep a solid direction and flavour. Well done. I'm not sure why summon II was used rather than a more powerful version, and I think others are right in that there may need to be a cap for how powerful of a summon spell you can affect. A free summon VIII three time a day it a terribly powerful thing. Also, for shaken creatures to become frightened or panicked seems a little ambiguous, and should probably read more along the lines of shaken becomes frightened, frightened becomes panicked, though this may have been a word count issue, and most DMs will understand.

In all, very cool.

I don't normally buy non-weapon/armour items this expensive, but for this I would make an exception.

Contributor, RPG Superstar 2010 Top 16, 2011 Top 32, 2012 Top 4

Ryan Marsh wrote:
Summon monster IX, you summon 1d4+1 Fiendish T-Rex's using the 7th level list. You then can summon one additional creature from a lower list than that (6th and below).

This is a very cool (and very clever!) twist on the summon monster spell. This makes me like this item a lot. I also like that you made it an orcish item. I can see an orc warlord blowing one of these to bolster his horde right before launching an attack. Nice imagery there.

Kudos on an excellent item!

RPG Superstar 2011 Top 16 , Star Voter 2013 aka Anry

As promised, I updated it using the criticism I received.

Grim Howler(revised):
Grim Howler
Aura moderate conjuration, enchantment, and necromancy; CL 8th
Slot none; Price 57,000 gp; Weight 5 lbs.
Description
This crude horn is often made from the remnants of horrific beasts, though some have been made with great conical shells. When blown it unleashes a hellish howl that rattles a listener’s very soul because of this it is a coveted treasure of orc tribes. The horn is also said to call monstrous armies to the blower’s command.

As a full-round action, a creature can use the horn to demoralize all opponents within 60 ft. with its rattling howl with an Intimidate check. If a bard uses the horn as the audible component for his dirge of doom performance, the range of the dirge increases to 60 feet and the bard does not have to be seen for the performance to take effect. Creatures that are already shaken can become frightened or panicked from these effects.

Three times per day, the horn can be used as the verbal component for a summon monster spell. When used in this way, the spell is considered evil and allows the summoner to choose one additional creature from a lower list than the one chosen during casting. This ability cannot be used to modify a summon monster I spell or a summon monster spell that selects creatures from the level 1 list.
Construction
Requirements Craft Wondrous Item, fear, summon monster II; Cost 28,500 gp

RPG Superstar 2014 Top 16, RPG Superstar 2012 Top 16 , Marathon Voter 2013, Marathon Voter 2014 aka motteditor

"When blown it unleashes a hellish howl that rattles a listener’s very soul because of this it is a coveted treasure of orc tribes."

You probably want a semi-colon after soul, otherwise it reads like the "because" is going to explain why it rattles a listener's soul.

RPG Superstar 2011 Top 16 , Star Voter 2013 aka Anry

motteditor wrote:

"When blown it unleashes a hellish howl that rattles a listener’s very soul because of this it is a coveted treasure of orc tribes."

You probably want a semi-colon after soul, otherwise it reads like the "because" is going to explain why it rattles a listener's soul.

Yeah, I should have just made two sentences there. I'll update that likely when I get home.

RPG Superstar 2011 Top 16 , Star Voter 2013 aka Anry

Alright re-editted to fix that awkward sentence.

Grim Howler (revised):
Grim Howler
Aura moderate conjuration, enchantment, and necromancy; CL 8th
Slot none; Price 57,000 gp; Weight 5 lbs.
Description
This crude horn is often made from the remnants of horrific beasts, though some have been made with great conical shells. When blown it unleashes a hellish howl that rattles a listener’s very soul. The horn is also said to call monstrous armies to the blower’s command. It is for these qualities that they are coveted treasures of orc tribes.

As a full-round action, a creature can use the horn to demoralize all opponents within 60 ft. with its rattling howl with an Intimidate check. If a bard uses the horn as the audible component for his dirge of doom performance, the range of the dirge increases to 60 feet and the bard does not have to be seen for the performance to take effect. Creatures that are already shaken can become frightened or panicked from these effects.

Three times per day, the horn can be used as the verbal component for a summon monster spell. When used in this way, the spell is considered evil and allows the summoner to choose one additional creature from a lower list than the one chosen during casting. This ability cannot be used to modify a summon monster I spell or a summon monster spell that selects creatures from the level 1 list.
Construction
Requirements Craft Wondrous Item, fear, summon monster II; Cost 28,500 gp

Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Publishing / RPG Superstar™ / Previous Contests / RPG Superstar™ 2011 / Round 1 - Open Call: Create a Wondrous Item / Grim Howler All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.
Recent threads in Round 1 - Open Call: Create a Wondrous Item
Shadow Falconer's Glove

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.