Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
About Paizo Messageboards News Paizo Blog Help/FAQ
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

PaizoCon 2014!

>>Ask *James Jacobs* ALL your Questions Here!<<


Off-Topic Discussions

24,501 to 24,550 of 44,628 << first < prev | 486 | 487 | 488 | 489 | 490 | 491 | 492 | 493 | 494 | 495 | 496 | next > last >>

Game-related, so I'm going to spoiler it, because I'm not sure this is the right place to ask it.

Ninja:
Does the ninja shadow clone trick produce additional clones based on your level? For example:does my level 11 ninja create 1d4+3 clones, or just 1d4?


James, please forgive me asking such pointless questions but here goes anyhow:

APG p213 Create Pit wrote:
You create a 10-foot-by-10-foot extradimensional hole with a depth of 10 feet per two caster levels (maximum 30 feet).
APG p214 Create Pit wrote:
The pit’s coarse stone walls have a Climb DC of 25.

1) Is this a square (with corners and opposing walls) or radius (circle) spell?

CRB p91 Climb skill wrote:

Climb DC

Modifier* Example Surface or Activity
–10 Climbing a chimney (artificial or natural) or other location where you can brace against two opposite walls.
–5 Climbing a corner where you can brace against perpendicular walls.
+5 Surface is slippery.
* These modifiers are cumulative; use all that apply.

2) Can a creature brace against the corners of a pit created via Create Pit?

3) Can a creature brace against the opposing walls of a pit created via Create Pit if he is large size?

4) Can a creature brace against the opposing walls of a pit created via Create Pit if he is medium size with a 10' reach?

5) Based on the statement: '* These modifiers are cumulative; use all that apply.' can you brace against both corners and opposing walls thus gaining a DC reduction of -15?

Thanks for your time.

- Gauss


James Jacobs wrote:
AlgaeNymph wrote:
Casting mage's disjunction doesn't just short out buffs and potentially magic items, it leaves a lingering field I can't cast into, correct?
Nope. I'm not seeing anything in the spell's description about "lingering fields." It's basically just a supercharged dispel magic.

1. Lemme guess, I saw "1 minute/level" and "40-ft radius burst" and mistakenly put the two together.

2. Do the bonuses from arcane strike stack with those already on a magic weapon?

3. Would a corpse under the effect of gentle repose stay fresh forever when animated as a zombie or only while the spell lasts?

4. How does always-on spell turning, like with thanatotic titans, work? Doesn't spell turning only affect a certain number of levels?

5. Does Sorshen's (or any other runelord's) immortality grant immunity to madness like it does for Karzoug's?


Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Modules, Roleplaying Game Subscriber

1)The racial mods to the Azlanti are +2 to all stats, correct?

2)Will the People of the North or the Irrisen campaign setting book have racial stats for the daughters of Baba Yaga?

3)Will the Mystery monsters revisited book have actual variants not just monsters with class levels? Since I can only see Yeti, Mothmen, and Sasquach having class levels, I did love the many different variant templates that gargoyles, skeletens, Zombies, etc. got.

4)Since Phantasmal Killer is a phantasm/mind-effecting spell, True Seeing will not offer any defense against it, correct?

5)Is there any reason why the red skinned people of Akiton were never given a name in Distant Worlds?

6)While you mention that Shelyn, Desna, and Serenrae have had "relations" with each other, what other gods/goddesses have they each had been with?

7)Has Pharasma had any "relations" with any of the gods or goddesses? Are there any virgin gods/goddesses?

8)Do Dwarfs/Gnomes still get there AC bonus against Oni with the Giant subtype as they do with humaniods(giant)?

9)Will we see any monsters in the near future that is based on any of these animals: dolphins, weasels/mongooses, starfish, snails, platypus, bats, rats, squirels, butterflies/moths, termites, earwigs, salamanders, kaolas, anteaters, nautilus/cuttlefish, sea cucumbers, pill bugs, sea slugs, or stink bugs?


I would crib a note from Ravenloft for a male changeling. Something along the lines of a male Vistani with "the sight." They're killed at birth and it is generally believed among their people that they will lead to wanton destruction and the end of their society if allowed to mature and use their powers.

So let the changeling become male -- a unique creature -- and every hag oracle starts getting nightmarish visions of this 'impossibility' and the damage it could cause.

:D


Re: Changelings - 1) Male changlings exist. They just have a life expectancy measured in minutes, because mommy normally eats them. 2) I assume they're useless as hag material, which is part of why mommy normally eats them.

For James:

1) When'd/how'd Paizo first come across Carolina Eade's artwork and decide to start using her services? If you know.

2) Am I correct in understanding that a typical art order to Wayne Reynolds can be summed as "send him a bare-bones description, and let him [gleefully] fill in the details?"

3) Would "native outsider" be an appropriate subject for a bane weapon? I've debated having my fighter in Jade Regent get evil outsider bane + native outsider bane enchanted on his weapon (for serious oni-bashing goodness), but not sure if native outsider is actually legal.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Dragon78 wrote:

1)I was reading AP#63(page 42) and found that there is a settlement of creatures called Khaei(from Innersea Bestiary), what are they?

2)Since the Innersea Bestiary isn't out yet what could I use as a replacement for these Khaei?

3)Will we get a preview for the Innersea Bestiary before subscribers(like myself) get there pdfs?

4)Will we ever see options for classes that allows us to pic and choose abilities we can replace for new abilities of about equal value? I mean any one or more, not like archtypes were several things are changed.

5)Will the animal archive book have any rules for any/many/most classes getting familiars and/or animal companions?

6)Why does the blood of the night have rules to play as true vampires?

7)Will the fey revisited book have any new info about the first world?

8)Will the races book for kobolds reveal there origin?

9)Will we ever see what Gnomes were like in the First World? or why they left?

1) They're first mentioned in "City of Strangers." They're statted up in Inner Sea Bestiary.

2) If you want to expand "The Asylum Stone" to include Khaei in the adventure, morlocks are probably the best replacement monster.

3) Probably not. We don't normally preview the 64 page books.

4) Nope. Archetypes are pretty much our answer for that. What you're asking for is more of an entirely point-based character creation system, like GURPS or Champions. That's not the game we're publishing.

5) No... gaining familiars and animal companions are things for those classes, and farming out those class abilities to other classes is kinda not our philosophy. Animal Archive WILL support all sorts of animal options, though, including simply buying or catching an animal and training it as a pet or guardian or accomplice.

6) Because that's an option that some folks want.

7) Probably some here and there, but its focus is on the fey, not where they're from.

8) It's not been written yet. Not even sure it's been outlined yet. What it'll probably do is reveal the kobold creation myth—whether that's accurate or not depends on the GM, but it would be regarded as accurate by the kobolds!

9) Maybe.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Garm Sumner wrote:

Just wanted to say that I'm halfway through GMing your adventure "Souls for Smuggler's Shiv" and my three younger cousins (their first tabletop RPG game) and myself are really enjoying it!

** spoiler omitted **

Cool; glad you're enjoying the adventure!

There'll be some elements of this type of adventure in the upcoming Wrath of the Righteous Adventure Path. Kingmaker has some similar elements here and there as well.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Stratagemini wrote:
So, question. Why Alien Deinonychus Skeletons? Was it just because you wanted the Art of Merisiel fighting them? Why not regular Dinosaurs? Or Non-skeletal alien dinosaurs?

Because the whole point of the Enigma Vault is that it's a sort of museum of alien stuff from other worlds. Not other times, or other continents, or other nations. Golarion has deinonychuses on it, so a simple deinonychus skeleton wouldn't have been appropriate for an encounter in a place supposedly decorated and inhabited by weird stuff from other planets.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

deuxhero wrote:

The spell "Suffocation" (APG) has a material component of "a vial containing a bit of the caster's breath", but doesn't list a cost with it.

Are these vials the 1 SP (low enough to eschew materials, high enough to need to keep track of) "vial" in the core rule book, or special fun sized vials that have negligible costs and are found in unlimited supply in any material component pouch?

The vial is assumed to be one of the many things that you can snatch out of your spell component pouch. You can certainly use a "vial" as listed in the core rulebook, but you don't have to if you have a material component pouch, Eschew Materials, or a GM that doesn't want to bother tracking that level of detail.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Lord Fyre wrote:
James Jacobs wrote:
xevious573 wrote:

** spoiler omitted **

What happens when a changeling puts that on?

It switches gender.
Okay. But, given that Changelings are "female only" what race does it become?

It stays a changeling. It's a male changeling now, though. Which is weird and strange, but that's what magic can do to a person. It's stats don't change at all, in any event.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Lord Fyre wrote:
Gauss wrote:

You become the mythical male changeling, just like mythical male harpies. Changeling females will chase you for the rest of your days trying to breed with you.

- Gauss

Which leads to ...

"What is the male equivalent of a "Hag"?

A Hag coven can perform a ritual that transforms the Changeling into a Hag. Would that ritual still work on a "male" changeling?

There is no male equivalent of a hag. If a hag is hit with magical gender change she becomes a he, but his stats don't change.

The ritual that transforms a changeling into a hag would absolutely still work on a male changeling. Whether the result if a female hag (that's how I would rule it in my games or in a print product) or a male hag is up to the GM.


If one of your players was trapped in a pit created by a create pit spell, and said player claimed that he could climb out easily by bracing against the walls (as per the climb skill), thereby reducing the spell's listed DC, would you allow that? Or would you assume that the DC listed in the spell already took things like that into account? How would you rule it in your games? What do you think the intent behind the spell is?

Taldor

James Jacobs wrote:

The customer response to Achievement Feats is the reason we never did anything with them again. People were NOT, overall, fans of these feats. Some folks thought they were way too "video gamey" and thus had no real purpose in a pen-and-paper game, or even that they cheapened the pen-and-paper game. Others didn't like how much paperwork that they made the players track. Still others thought that they were too easy to abuse by spiteful GMs. There was a fair amount of this commentary, and not a lot of "woah, that's cool!" like we got for traits or haunts or several other things we tried out in the Adventure Path.

SINCE then, I've heard from some folks out there who did like them... but at the time, none of those folks really spoke up.

As a result, there's no plans to have Achievement Feats show up in Pathifnder.

We ARE going to be presenting a new history/story-based feat in Ultimate Campaign though.

Thanks for the detailed answer! It's too bad that they weren't very popular, but I suppose I'll always be able to make my own Achievement feats if I ever want to throw them back into my campaigns.

Those history/story-based feats sound like exactly the sort of thing my group would love. My anticipation for Ultimate Campaign: +1.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Blue Star wrote:

Game-related, so I'm going to spoiler it, because I'm not sure this is the right place to ask it.

** spoiler omitted **

No need to spoiler things like that, and I'm happy to answer game-related questions. ESPECIALLY when they're worded in such a straightforward manner! :-)

In any event, that ninja trick only creates 1d4 images. The duration is what's determined by the ninja's "caster level."

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Gauss wrote:

James, please forgive me asking such pointless questions but here goes anyhow:

APG p213 Create Pit wrote:
You create a 10-foot-by-10-foot extradimensional hole with a depth of 10 feet per two caster levels (maximum 30 feet).
APG p214 Create Pit wrote:
The pit’s coarse stone walls have a Climb DC of 25.

1) Is this a square (with corners and opposing walls) or radius (circle) spell?

CRB p91 Climb skill wrote:

Climb DC

Modifier* Example Surface or Activity
–10 Climbing a chimney (artificial or natural) or other location where you can brace against two opposite walls.
–5 Climbing a corner where you can brace against perpendicular walls.
+5 Surface is slippery.
* These modifiers are cumulative; use all that apply.

2) Can a creature brace against the corners of a pit created via Create Pit?

3) Can a creature brace against the opposing walls of a pit created via Create Pit if he is large size?

4) Can a creature brace against the opposing walls of a pit created via Create Pit if he is medium size with a 10' reach?

5) Based on the statement: '* These modifiers are cumulative; use all that apply.' can you brace against both corners and opposing walls thus gaining a DC reduction of -15?

Thanks for your time.

- Gauss

1) Square. That's a LOT easier to handle in a grid-based combat system.

2) Nope; bracing requires two very close opposite walls, not two adjacent walls at a corner. You COULD do the climbing against a corner though.

3) Yes.

4) Maybe; depends on the GM. I would say no. Bracing should be, in my opinion, something that works off your space, not your reach.

5) Yes. To do this you more or less need a square pit that's the same size as your Space.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

AlgaeNymph wrote:
James Jacobs wrote:
AlgaeNymph wrote:
Casting mage's disjunction doesn't just short out buffs and potentially magic items, it leaves a lingering field I can't cast into, correct?
Nope. I'm not seeing anything in the spell's description about "lingering fields." It's basically just a supercharged dispel magic.

1. Lemme guess, I saw "1 minute/level" and "40-ft radius burst" and mistakenly put the two together.

2. Do the bonuses from arcane strike stack with those already on a magic weapon?

3. Would a corpse under the effect of gentle repose stay fresh forever when animated as a zombie or only while the spell lasts?

4. How does always-on spell turning, like with thanatotic titans, work? Doesn't spell turning only affect a certain number of levels?

5. Does Sorshen's (or any other runelord's) immortality grant immunity to madness like it does for Karzoug's?

1) As explained by that other helpful post... the 1 minute/level bit is talking about how long it renders items in that area nonmagical.

2) Yes. Arcane Strike grants an untyped bonus that stacks with everything.

3) Nope; only as long as the spell lasts. Then you'd need to cast it again. I know it says "one corpse touched" and a zombie or undead isn't technically a corpse... but that's still kind of a cool use of the spell.

4) Always-on spell turning doesn't affect a certain number of levels. It always works. It never runs out.

5) Until I stat her up, we'll see. Probably so, but her route to immortality was different than Karzoug's so it may well have different side-benefits.


James Jacobs wrote:
Lord Fyre wrote:
James Jacobs wrote:
xevious573 wrote:

** spoiler omitted **

What happens when a changeling puts that on?

It switches gender.
Okay. But, given that Changelings are "female only" what race does it become?

It stays a changeling. It's a male changeling now, though. Which is weird and strange, but that's what magic can do to a person. It's stats don't change at all, in any event.

1) Male Harpy, male Medusa, male... you know, quite a few monsters/races are Female Only.

2) weird question, if someone who was turned genderless by a gender-bending item, would using another one make them hermaphrodite?

Osirion

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Roleplaying Game Subscriber
James Jacobs wrote:
AlgaeNymph wrote:


5. Does Sorshen's (or any other runelord's) immortality grant immunity to madness like it does for Karzoug's?
5) Until I stat her up, we'll see. Probably so, but her route to immortality was different than Karzoug's so it may well have different side-benefits.

How did Sorshen gain immortality? Was it bathing in the blood of a thousand Virgins?


Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Pawns, Roleplaying Game Subscriber
James Jacobs wrote:
kagenotora wrote:
James Jacobs wrote:
kagenotora wrote:
omitted.
..
...
Try using bad guys with calm emotions to turn off his rage? Or perhaps mind control effects to turn his luck on the party?

tried both already ^^ but since he call roll a saving throw it didn't produce the desired result :/ i'll just resign to my fate and let him have is fun by altering the encounters a bit to keep him busy while the others have fun ^^

ah there's one creature that give him a hard time ^^ the giant spider :D viva the web attack ^^

on an other subject here's 2 question on magical items with an command-word activation method:

1- can someone other than the wearer activate them if the command-word is known by the said person?

2- if multiples items or proprieties on the same item are linked to the same command-word will all of them activate at the same time if the said word is used ?

Lantern Lodge

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Roleplaying Game Subscriber
James Jacobs wrote:
AlgaeNymph wrote:

1. Is there a way to create non-rotting or -withered zombies?

2. You forgot this question last time. Given that doppelgangers can become whatever you want, and they are mind-readers, why wouldn't someone with the means have a harem made up of them? Why would the rich and lecherous bother with anything else (for reasons besides expendability)?

2) A doppelganger harem would certainly have advantages other harems don't... but not everyone would be comfortable with that idea, nor would everyone value the ability to swap out their men and women when they're happy with the ones they have, and some might regard it as cheating. As with pretty much everything else, there's no one right answer to how to staff a harem.

Also case in point, if you have secrets to keep, would you really want to stuff your harem with mind-readers? Especially those as duplicitous as doppelgangers?


James Jacobs wrote:
Gauss wrote:
2) Can a creature brace against the corners of a pit created via Create Pit?

- Gauss

2) Nope; bracing requires two very close opposite walls, not two adjacent walls at a corner. You COULD do the climbing against a corner though.

What does this line mean if not a corner?

CRB p91 wrote:
–5 Climbing a corner where you can brace against perpendicular walls.

Perpendicular walls are not 'adjacent' walls, they are walls at right angles to each other. Thus, a corner.

- Gauss


Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber

Whose idea was it to have the gnomes be from the First World? I know that bit about the gnomes convinced a friend of mine to delve deep into Pathfinder.


Because I want to see what the boss-man says, or popular opinions:

Dear Mr James Jacobs,

Firstly, I am becoming a fan of both Pathfinder and it's community as they welcome me to table-top role playing in general. It's been a blast, and it doesn't even actually involve playing but talking about playing.

I'm having fun with whips, and I just asked the question but am curious.

Whips are stated to do no damage to creatures with +1 armor bonus or +3 natural armor. Is this damage treated as 0 damage or literally doing nothing

Or

Can you use a whip to perform a coup-de-grace against those creatures, and how would you as a most wonderful man describe the grueling effect.

Sincerely,

That new guy.

EDIT: Two more! because the Rules section is fantastic, but really make me wonder.

Does Coup-De-Grace damage have to be lethal damage? It only mentions damage.

Can you provoke an attack of opportunity off of an attack of opportunity. And, if so, if Combat Reflexes are involved, how detailed can this get. :)

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Zhangar wrote:

1) When'd/how'd Paizo first come across Carolina Eade's artwork and decide to start using her services? If you know.

2) Am I correct in understanding that a typical art order to Wayne Reynolds can be summed as "send him a bare-bones description, and let him [gleefully] fill in the details?"

3) Would "native outsider" be an appropriate subject for a bane weapon? I've debated having my fighter in Jade Regent get evil outsider bane + native outsider bane enchanted on his weapon (for serious oni-bashing goodness), but not sure if native outsider is actually legal.

1) That would be a question for Sarah. I think it was about the time we were doing the Inner Sea World Guide though...

2) Sometimes. Depends on the thing we're ordering. In some cases, the art order can be summarized as "Iconic Sorcerer fights a dragon in a dungeon." But in others we need something really specific, and the art order can carry on for an entire paragraph in length.

3) Yes. Native outsider is a legal bane choice.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Dragon78 wrote:

1)The racial mods to the Azlanti are +2 to all stats, correct?

2)Will the People of the North or the Irrisen campaign setting book have racial stats for the daughters of Baba Yaga?

3)Will the Mystery monsters revisited book have actual variants not just monsters with class levels? Since I can only see Yeti, Mothmen, and Sasquach having class levels, I did love the many different variant templates that gargoyles, skeletens, Zombies, etc. got.

4)Since Phantasmal Killer is a phantasm/mind-effecting spell, True Seeing will not offer any defense against it, correct?

5)Is there any reason why the red skinned people of Akiton were never given a name in Distant Worlds?

6)While you mention that Shelyn, Desna, and Serenrae have had "relations" with each other, what other gods/goddesses have they each had been with?

7)Has Pharasma had any "relations" with any of the gods or goddesses? Are there any virgin gods/goddesses?

8)Do Dwarfs/Gnomes still get there AC bonus against Oni with the Giant subtype as they do with humaniods(giant)?

9)Will we see any monsters in the near future that is based on any of these animals: dolphins, weasels/mongooses, starfish, snails, platypus, bats, rats, squirels, butterflies/moths, termites, earwigs, salamanders, kaolas, anteaters, nautilus/cuttlefish, sea cucumbers, pill bugs, sea slugs, or stink bugs?

1) Yes.

2) No; they have normal human racial modifiers, I believe.

3) Some will have class levels, some will be advanced specimens, and at least one (the Sandpoint Devil) is unchanged.

4) True seeing lets you see through illusions. As a result, since phantasmal killer is an illusion, true seeing protects you from it—it never gets to the point where you're actually frightened by the phantasm since you know from the start it's not real.

5) No. Unless James Sutter just forgot.

6) They won't let me say.

7) Pharasma has probably been with other deities. There are certainly at least a few virgin deities too, although none that we've revealed yet.

8) Yes. Because the rules say they get this bonus against "monsters with the giant subtype," Not "humanoids with the giant subtype."

9) In some cases yes. In some cases, like dolphins and bats and rats, they're already in a Bestiary.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Ravingdork wrote:
If one of your players was trapped in a pit created by a create pit spell, and said player claimed that he could climb out easily by bracing against the walls (as per the climb skill), thereby reducing the spell's listed DC, would you allow that? Or would you assume that the DC listed in the spell already took things like that into account? How would you rule it in your games? What do you think the intent behind the spell is?

I would ABSOLUTELY allow it. The DC listed in the spell is the base DC, and as such is completely open to various modifications like bracing and the like. That is the intent of the spell.

Of course... the player would have to SAY they're "bracing" or whatever.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

C. Nutcase wrote:
James Jacobs wrote:
Lord Fyre wrote:
James Jacobs wrote:
xevious573 wrote:

** spoiler omitted **

What happens when a changeling puts that on?

It switches gender.
Okay. But, given that Changelings are "female only" what race does it become?

It stays a changeling. It's a male changeling now, though. Which is weird and strange, but that's what magic can do to a person. It's stats don't change at all, in any event.

1) Male Harpy, male Medusa, male... you know, quite a few monsters/races are Female Only.

2) weird question, if someone who was turned genderless by a gender-bending item, would using another one make them hermaphrodite?

Succubus and nymph are other female-only monsters.

Goes the other direction too. There are no female satyrs or incubi, for example.

2) Up to the GM.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Stratagemini wrote:
James Jacobs wrote:
AlgaeNymph wrote:


5. Does Sorshen's (or any other runelord's) immortality grant immunity to madness like it does for Karzoug's?
5) Until I stat her up, we'll see. Probably so, but her route to immortality was different than Karzoug's so it may well have different side-benefits.
How did Sorshen gain immortality? Was it bathing in the blood of a thousand Virgins?

That's a secret for a later day and a later product.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Gauss wrote:
James Jacobs wrote:
Gauss wrote:
2) Can a creature brace against the corners of a pit created via Create Pit?

- Gauss

2) Nope; bracing requires two very close opposite walls, not two adjacent walls at a corner. You COULD do the climbing against a corner though.

What does this line mean if not a corner?

CRB p91 wrote:
–5 Climbing a corner where you can brace against perpendicular walls.

Perpendicular walls are not 'adjacent' walls, they are walls at right angles to each other. Thus, a corner.

- Gauss

That means that someone confused me.

You can't "brace" against a corner if that's all you have.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

kagenotora wrote:

1- can someone other than the wearer activate them if the command-word is known by the said person?

2- if multiples items or proprieties on the same item are linked to the same command-word will all of them activate at the same time if the said word is used ?

1) No. You have to have possession/physical control of an item in order to activate it with a command word.

2) Nope; you can only activate one item at a time.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Cheapy wrote:
Whose idea was it to have the gnomes be from the First World? I know that bit about the gnomes convinced a friend of mine to delve deep into Pathfinder.

Dunno. Me or Erik or Wes or someone else.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

KHShadowrunner wrote:

Firstly, I am becoming a fan of both Pathfinder and it's community as they welcome me to table-top role playing in general. It's been a blast, and it doesn't even actually involve playing but talking about playing.

I'm having fun with whips, and I just asked the question but am curious.

Whips are stated to do no damage to creatures with +1 armor bonus or +3 natural armor. Is this damage treated as 0 damage or literally doing nothing

Or

Can you use a whip to perform a coup-de-grace against those creatures, and how would you as a most wonderful man describe the grueling effect.

Sincerely,

That new guy.

First off... welcome to he boards!

For whips, no damage to those armored creatures = literaly doing nothing when you try to damage them. You can still use a whip to trip or disarm a foe, though.

A coup de grace delivered with a weapon that inflicts non-lethal damage wouldn't kill someone, but would just knock them out. I would describe such an attack against a foe as whipping them in the neck and choking them out until they faint, or perhaps yanking them off balance so they hit their head and black out. You can't do this against a foe you can't damage, though, and so you wouldn't be able to do this against a properly-armored foe.


Can Brew Potion be used to make oils for offensive purposes? Would it work exactly like using the spell on which the oil is based, including holding the charge, or would the fact it's a substance change things, such as needing the opponent to sit still as you apply the oil, or the character applying the oil being affected by it, being the first creature touched?


James,

Is there a current favorite monster or story hook that is not published that you are working on?

Is there a monster or story hook that you want to work on but can't at this time?

Thanks,

Pendin Fust

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Stazamos wrote:
Can Brew Potion be used to make oils for offensive purposes? Would it work exactly like using the spell on which the oil is based, including holding the charge, or would the fact it's a substance change things, such as needing the opponent to sit still as you apply the oil, or the character applying the oil being affected by it, being the first creature touched?

As in, an "oil of fireball" that you throw and it blows up when it hits the target and the flask it's in breaks?

Nope; that's a Wondrous Item.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Pendin Fust wrote:

James,

1) Is there a current favorite monster or story hook that is not published that you are working on?

2) Is there a monster or story hook that you want to work on but can't at this time?

Thanks,

Pendin Fust

1) There is, but it's not yet announced.

2) Yes; Unspeakable Futures.


Thanks for the answers!

Unspeakable Futures - Is this because of time or legal type obligations?

Also...what is Unspeakable Futures?! Best I could find in a quick search was from a PaizoCon 2009 event referring to a group of 6 people in an apocalyptic Earth after the Great Old ones are now a fact.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pendin Fust wrote:

Thanks for the answers!

Unspeakable Futures - Is this because of time or legal type obligations?

Also...what is Unspeakable Futures?! Best I could find in a quick search was from a PaizoCon 2009 event referring to a group of 6 people in an apocalyptic Earth after the Great Old ones are now a fact.

Unspeakable Futures is a postapocalyptic d20 game I've been building and designing and periodically running adventures and campaigns in for over ten years. I first started building the game in the early days of 3.0, and it's been through a LOT of changes along the way. It's currently running on the Pathfinder rules.

Some day I'd love to work it up to a for-real book and get it published. But I don't want to do that until I have the time and resources to devote to it. Currently, those resources and that time is devoted to Paizo products.


Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Pawns, Roleplaying Game Subscriber

hi again!
here's a few questions that just surfaced in my head(mostly while reading ultimate equipment), items' and Special Abilities' text are within the spoliers at the end.

1- does a melee weapon with a range increment can be enchanted with Special Abilities that "can only be placed on a ranged weapon"?(some questions assume the answer is yes, mainly because of the Ricochet Hammer)

2- what's the range increment of for example a dagger when enchanted with Distance and thrown by a character with a belt of mighty hurling? 30 feet or 40 feet? (since i thought about it i keep imagining a warrior throwing a pilum/spear/light hammer at some on the first floor of the Eiffel Tower from the ground floor :p)

2- about Designating:
a) does it work for the one owning the weapon?
b) for a character that use a Designating dagger(or an other throwing weapon) i'm assuming the Designating Special Ability only work when it's thrown, am i correct?

3- now that i think about it, what about other Special Abilities like seeking?

4- would a rogue with a seeking dagger be able to sneak attack someone with concealment (like from dim light)?

5- about the ricochet hammer, what happen in the case of a, for example, level 11 fighter wielding 2 or 3 of them with those feats: rapid fire, two weapon fighting, improved two weapon fighting, greater two weapon fighting, quick draw? does he throw 3 hammers one coming back immediately and the other two will bounce up to 3 times each? or does he throw 2 hammers one bouncing 4 times the other 3 times? also can a ricochet hammer bounce back and forth between 2 targets?

6- about the Ring of Sustenance, doesn't the 2 hours thingy make a group of characters all wearing this ring (and their mounts too if they have any) effectively double their travel speed ? as they can make cycles of 8 hours walking 2x2 hours sleeping? or enabling them to craft as if not traveling each day while traveling if they have the right traveler's crafting kit?

DISTANCE:

This special ability can only be placed on a ranged weapon.
A distance weapon has double the range increment of other
weapons of its kind.

BELT OF MIGHTY HURLING, LESSER:

This thick leather belt is buckled with a bright bronze clasp
in the shape of a fist. When worn, it grants its wearer a +2
enhancement bonus to Strength and allows him to apply
his Strength modifier as a bonus on attack rolls instead
of his Dexterity modifier when making ranged attacks
with thrown weapons. Also, the range increment of any
weapon thrown by the wearer gains a +10-foot bonus.
Treat this Strength bonus as a temporary ability bonus for
the first 24 hours the belt is worn.

DESIGNATING, GREATER:

This special ability can only be placed on ranged weapons
or ammunition. Each time a ranged weapon or ammunition
with this ability hits a creature, its magic designates the
target. Allies gain a +4 morale bonus on melee attack rolls
and a +6 morale bonus on melee damage rolls against the
designated target for 1 round. Multiple successful shots
fired at the same target do not increase the bonuses or
their duration.

RING OF SUSTENANCE:

This ring continually provides its wearer with life-sustaining
nourishment. The ring also refreshes the body and mind; its
wearer only needs to sleep 2 hours per day to gain the benefit
of 8 hours of sleep. This allows a spellcaster that requires rest
to prepare spells to do so after only 2 hours, but does not
allow a spellcaster to prepare spells more than once per day.
The ring must be worn for a full week before it begins to
work. If it is removed, the owner must wear it for another
week to reattune it to himself.

RICOCHET HAMMER:

This +1 returning light hammer can strike multiple foes with a single throw. If the wielder has multiple attacks from a high base attack
bonus, he may throw the hammer so it rebounds off the first target to strike at a second target, and so on for each of the wielder’s additional attacks. The distance to each target adds to the total range of the weapon, and range penalties apply.
For example, a 6th-level dwarf fighter can throw the hammer using his +6 BAB at a target 20 feet away (within one range increment, no range penalty); if it hits, he ricochets it to attack using his +1 BAB at a second target 40 feet away from the first target (within three range increments for a –4 range penalty).
The hammer can only ricochet if it successfully hits a target; if it misses, it stops ricocheting, has no further attacks that round, and returns as normal for a weapon with the returning property. Because ricocheting attacks are treated as separate attacks, modifiers that only apply to one attack roll (such as true strike) only apply to the first attack and not the others. The ricochet attacks count as the wielder’s additional attacks for that round

Rapid Shot (Combat):

You can make an additional ranged attack.
Prerequisites: Dex 13, Point-Blank Shot.
Benefit: When making a full-attack action with a ranged
weapon, you can fire one additional time this round. All of
your attack rolls take a –2 penalty when using
Rapid Shot.


Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Pawns, Roleplaying Game Subscriber
James Jacobs wrote:
Pendin Fust wrote:

Thanks for the answers!

Unspeakable Futures - Is this because of time or legal type obligations?

Also...what is Unspeakable Futures?! Best I could find in a quick search was from a PaizoCon 2009 event referring to a group of 6 people in an apocalyptic Earth after the Great Old ones are now a fact.

Unspeakable Futures is a postapocalyptic d20 game I've been building and designing and periodically running adventures and campaigns in for over ten years. I first started building the game in the early days of 3.0, and it's been through a LOT of changes along the way. It's currently running on the Pathfinder rules.

Some day I'd love to work it up to a for-real book and get it published. But I don't want to do that until I have the time and resources to devote to it. Currently, those resources and that time is devoted to Paizo products.

if you do publish it i'd immediately buy it, been craving for a post-apo game other than vermin and Z-corps for quite some time!


James Jacobs wrote:
Gauss wrote:
James Jacobs wrote:
Gauss wrote:
2) Can a creature brace against the corners of a pit created via Create Pit?

- Gauss

2) Nope; bracing requires two very close opposite walls, not two adjacent walls at a corner. You COULD do the climbing against a corner though.

What does this line mean if not a corner?

CRB p91 wrote:
–5 Climbing a corner where you can brace against perpendicular walls.

Perpendicular walls are not 'adjacent' walls, they are walls at right angles to each other. Thus, a corner.

- Gauss

That means that someone confused me.

You can't "brace" against a corner if that's all you have.

Ahhh I think I understand the confusion. There are two types of corners and I was not specifying the type of corner. (I thought it was self-explanatory in the question, my bad.)

Example: The letter "L" has an inside corner with perpendicular walls. The outside corner has no perpendicular walls. Thus you can brace on the inside and not the outside. Hence the wording on page 91 where you can brace in a corner that has perpendicular walls.

So to restate the question: Can you brace in a corner that has two perpendicular walls (the inside corner of the "L") as per the climb rule quoted on page 91?

If not, what exactly does that rule mean? How do I use it?

- Gauss


Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber

I just read your Xoan from Sean's Hungry Little Monsters. Are there any creatures like that in Pathfinder? I found the idea of quickly switching between emotions and going mad due to it to be really cool.

A somewhat popular trope is that of the mysterious "caretaker race". Beings who for many years have been following some ancient order to ensure the upkeep of something. Kind of like those beings on The Citadel in Mass Effect. I recall that this occurs in the Darklands somewhere, but does it occur elsewhere in Golarion? If so, are there any products to read about that?

RPG Superstar 2009 Top 32

Lucent wrote:

I would crib a note from Ravenloft for a male changeling. Something along the lines of a male Vistani with "the sight." They're killed at birth and it is generally believed among their people that they will lead to wanton destruction and the end of their society if allowed to mature and use their powers.

So let the changeling become male -- a unique creature -- and every hag oracle starts getting nightmarish visions of this 'impossibility' and the damage it could cause.

I know Mr. Jacobs said otherwise in his response, but I like this answer. (Of course, with Ravenloft being copyrighted TSR/WoTC property ... :( )


Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Modules, Roleplaying Game Subscriber

1)What I mean by monsters based on those animals I mean like giant versions, prehistoric , swarms, mythical versions, undead, etc. examples would be like giant starfish, termite swarm, Encantado(shapeshifting dolphin from portuguese myth) so anything like these?

2)Yeah they did put out that feat that gave sorcerer bloodline powers to any one that has a good cha score so I don't see how a familiar could be game breaking? I could think of some interesting archtypes for classes to get an animal companion. I could see how tomany animal companions could be gamebreaking but I would still like those kind of options.

3)Seen any movies lately and if so what did you think of them?

Shadow Lodge

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Companion, Roleplaying Game Subscriber

what devils would ratfolk or wererats worship?

Osirion

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Roleplaying Game Subscriber

Now that you've finished it and it's out for review by Kickstarters, what's you're favorite part of the Enigma Vaults?


James Jacobs wrote:
Stratagemini wrote:
How did Sorshen gain immortality? Was it bathing in the blood of a thousand Virgins?
That's a secret for a later day and a later product.

What secret?:
Pathfinder #12 explicitly says (p.60) "[Ileosa's] methods [for immortality] follow almost exactly the routes laid out 10,000 years before by Runelord Sorshen." Said methods involve a massive blood sacrifice (p.46).

Mr. James Jacobs,

If a character gains a channel energy ability but at their character level -6 but also gain an ability that allows half of their class level to count to their level of channeling energy would these two abilities stack and would it equal out to the character's level or exceed their character level if it was over?


Hi James,
I am DM'ing Skull and Shackels and one the PC's is a female sorcerer who got pregnant after being raped. The sorcerer is looking for a way to have an abortion. Regardless of how the sorcerer does it, the PC is LE and follower of Gozreh.
In the party there is a Cleric of Gozreh (a devout worshiper).
1) If the PC gets an abortion what would Gozreh do? Will not allow the cleric to cast heal spells on the sorcerer?
2) In general, how Gods behave/act when the murder of innocent life takes place (this is how I intepret the situation) this not being a sacrifice to a diety.
3)Would there be an allignment shift once the PC gets an abortion?

The PC wanted someone to cast cure disease but I said being pregant is not a disease.

THX

24,501 to 24,550 of 44,628 << first < prev | 486 | 487 | 488 | 489 | 490 | 491 | 492 | 493 | 494 | 495 | 496 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Off-Topic Discussions / >>Ask *James Jacobs* ALL your Questions Here!<< All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.