Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
About Paizo Messageboards News Paizo Blog Help/FAQ
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

Let's Dish Gish


Pathfinder RPG General Discussion

651 to 700 of 846 << first < prev | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | next > last >>

Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

Dude

Bro

Brah

Gnarly

Sweet

Bipolar

Terminator

Ginshmoo

Shmoo

Wicked


I am going to have to put my initial vote on Warlock. Departing from 3.5 here as the name sounds appropriate, having war and lock in it. War meaning war, and lock sounding reminiscent of some sort of spell casting.


I always liked warrior arcanist, but that's two words.

Warcanist is out, too, I guess.

I'd go with warmage or battlemage, but they're word combos, too.

Those three restrictions really take out most decent things that come to mind.

Wor?

Warlock maybe?

Witcher?

I've read Sentinel, which would kinda fit: Sentinels are border guards, and we talk about someone who's right in the middle of things.

Martialist?


Magus. Sure, it's not supposed to be different from a wizard, but neither are enchanter and conjurer, at least not in vernacular. Roleplayers have learned to assigned specific meanings to synonyms.


KaeYoss wrote:
Magus. Sure, it's not supposed to be different from a wizard, but neither are enchanter and conjurer, at least not in vernacular. Roleplayers have learned to assigned specific meanings to synonyms.

I saw on another thread that Magus was the purported official Gish replacement. So if that is the case, congratulations to Xum for suggesting it :) Second post even.


I like Magus though I still like Mystic better


Pathfinder Tales Subscriber

Well, at risk of sour grapes, I hope not.


Mairkurion {tm} wrote:
Well, at risk of sour grapes, I hope not.

Lol. I guess we will have to wait and see. I am not sure and I am sorry for 'stirring the pot' as-it-were. I figure that Erik or someone from Paizo will verify it on this thread soon enough.

Don't forget though that we have to take what was said in the original post at face value. Despite the investment that has been injected into the request, the further speculation and the subsequent 650+ posts, if they are just looking for a term like stabrashamalamadingdong or whatever to throw around their office, that's their call.

Shadow Lodge

Pathfinder Comics Subscriber; Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Companion, Maps, Tales Subscriber

I like Seeker. From Terry Goodkind's Sword of Truth series, Richard Rahl is a war wizard and a competant swordsman (though this is somewhat from the sword). A Seeker in Pathfinder terms (to be different from Goodkind) would be someone who seeks to find a balance between the martial and the arcane. Seeking knowledge both physical and mental.

Cheliax

Witcher is great idea, although there may be copyright issues, but I suppose that same goes for Warden and Warder, which I also like.


Sagawork Studios wrote:
I saw on another thread that Magus was the purported official Gish replacement.

No offense to the supporters, but I was hoping this wouldn't be it, since the meaning is far too close to "wizard" rather than "fighter/wizard." Then again, clarity in rules language and naming conventions has never been the selling point for Paizo.


I hope its not Magus... I was really hoping for Warlock.


I agree. I preferred Mystic followed by Warlock. Magus is fine though

I just hope the class rocks. I am glad we get to playtest it

Qadira

Here is what I would like to see an updated list with all the ones breaking the basic request at the OP. That way it is easier to pick through the junk to get to the gems.


Whatever it will be in the end, let's hope that the class will be better than just a cool name ;)


nightflier wrote:
Witcher is great idea, although there may be copyright issues

I don't think Bobby would mind.

MerrikCale wrote:
I like Magus though I still like Mystic better

Mystic sounds too religious for an arcanist.


Where do they plant to have the New and Improved Gish in, anyway?

Zmar wrote:
Whatever it will be in the end, let's hope that the class will be better than just a cool name ;)

(Nothing to say to that, other than "+1" and "Did you realise that this post has the post number of the beast?


Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber
RunebladeX wrote:
Dragonborn3 wrote:
Dawnwalker(the one who walks the morning of true blade-magic!)

i was robed i had a runblade class since 2nd edition which was a gish i also had a runeknight that was a fighter/cleric class they belonged to the same order :(

i'm throughing in-

Magi
Magus
Vanguard
Eldric-one who uses eldrich powers

i'm glad magus was chosen lol yeah!

i know some are disappointed but a think magus is a good fit and new players will have an idea of what to expect. There was a lot favoring warlock but i feel that that class already had it's shot in history. while some of the suggestions were good ones, some illegal,some were titles that needed a pronunciation key with it,some were titles that had nothing to do with magic what so ever. Though magus is a synonym for a wizard it's still a good choice. Anyone to commoners who casts arcane spells is a wizard anyway,whether they use arms and armor or not!

Taldor

Probably too late to add my two coppers but, in order:
Warder - as in defensive spells
Warlock - I would call Elric a warlock, sounds ominous and cool
Magus - sounds different, maybe that's why it was chosen
Auror - I'm a fan of Harry Potter

PS: Stabra-cadabra and Backstabra-cadabra = Awesome

Shadow Lodge

KaeYoss wrote:

Where do they plant to have the New and Improved Gish in, anyway?

Zmar wrote:
Whatever it will be in the end, let's hope that the class will be better than just a cool name ;)
(Nothing to say to that, other than "+1" and "Did you realise that this post has the post number of the beast?

The book is to be called Ultimate Magic, I believe. Magus will be the sole base-class presented in the book, along with a ton of options for all kinds of spellcasting characters.


I think Magus fits rather neatly in with Sorcerer and Wizard, without replacing the general term "Mage". It wasn't my first choice, but I think it is the most popular second to Warlock that obeys all the OP rules.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Magus is indeed the name of the class we'll be presenting in Ultimate Magic (and playtesting publicly well before then!). Warlock was a CLOSE second, but we ended up not going with warlock mostly because that class is so closely identified already with the existing (and not open content) warlock class from 3.5/4th edition D&D. To say nothing of the warlock class from World of Warcraft.

So, magus it is!

Andoran

Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber
Xum wrote:

Magus

Spellar

Auror

Exciter.. hehe, I'm listening to Judas, what can I do?

Wow, well done Xum, first suggestion on the thread! Turns out finding a name wasn't that hard after all ...


James Jacobs wrote:
Magus is indeed the name of the class we'll be presenting in Ultimate Magic (and playtesting publicly well before then!).

can you ballpark when that will be? I love the playtest stuff


James Jacobs wrote:

Magus is indeed the name of the class we'll be presenting in Ultimate Magic (and playtesting publicly well before then!). Warlock was a CLOSE second, but we ended up not going with warlock mostly because that class is so closely identified already with the existing (and not open content) warlock class from 3.5/4th edition D&D. To say nothing of the warlock class from World of Warcraft.

So, magus it is!

WOOOTT!!!! THANK YOU!!!! THANK YOU!!!! THANK YOU!!!!


MerrikCale wrote:
James Jacobs wrote:
Magus is indeed the name of the class we'll be presenting in Ultimate Magic (and playtesting publicly well before then!).
can you ballpark when that will be? I love the playtest stuff

My wife and myself second and third this request if it is possible.


Evil Lincoln wrote:


Magus was already mentioned, but I thought I'd give it a bump. My positive association for this one is the tarot card, (the magician) which is (almost) always pictured with a sword. *shrug*

Hmm.

Evil Lincoln wrote:

Another unconventional technique:

Google these terms and check the image search, then compare which terms have images that look like people you would NOT want to be in melee with (but still look like casters).

Also, if you google your term and get no images of a caster OR melee weapon: you lose this thread.

Hmmm again.

James Jacobs wrote:

Magus is indeed the name of the class we'll be presenting in Ultimate Magic (snip)

So, magus it is!

Indeed! Evil Lincoln, it seems that your G.I.S.H. has some credibility!

Good show for sticking to your guns. I would not have picked it :)

PS:(You win the thread!...or have to at least share it with Xum)

Qadira

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Roleplaying Game Subscriber
James Jacobs wrote:

Magus is indeed the name of the class we'll be presenting in Ultimate Magic (and playtesting publicly well before then!). Warlock was a CLOSE second, but we ended up not going with warlock mostly because that class is so closely identified already with the existing (and not open content) warlock class from 3.5/4th edition D&D. To say nothing of the warlock class from World of Warcraft.

So, magus it is!

Hmm. Magus just means "mage". Doesn't really imply stab-ya-cadabra.

Plus now everyone will have to squabble over pronunciation. Hard G or soft? MAH-goose (the Latinate form) or MAY-jus (the Anglican).

Also? This Ultimate Magic of which you write? Was this something announced this weekend?


KaeYoss wrote:

Where do they plant to have the New and Improved Gish in, anyway?

Zmar wrote:
Whatever it will be in the end, let's hope that the class will be better than just a cool name ;)
(Nothing to say to that, other than "+1" and "Did you realise that this post has the post number of the beast?

Nope, but the class now seriously asks for a test in the Council of Thieves, where I can play a chel without catching too much attention :D

Osirion

While it was not even in my top 10 Magus works ok to me. Most folks off hand will get it's a caster.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

delabarre wrote:
Hmm. Magus just means "mage". Doesn't really imply stab-ya-cadabra.

Since we wanted a real-world word, so that the class would not break that rule (one we've used and upheld for every core and base class), and since a "figher/magic user" doesn't really exist in the real world or myth, really, this isn't something that was likely to ever work. But in 3 years, hopefully magus will indeed be a word thought of in that light!

delabarre wrote:
Plus now everyone will have to squabble over pronunciation. Hard G or soft? MAH-goose (the Latinate form) or MAY-jus (the Anglican).

Hard G. And "magi" is the plural.

delabarre wrote:
Also? This Ultimate Magic of which you write? Was this something announced this weekend?

Ultimate Magic just got announced this weekend at Paizocon. It's the Spring 2011 hardcover. 256 pages filled with magic stuffs.


James Jacobs wrote:
Ultimate Magic just got announced this weekend at Paizocon. It's the Spring 2011 hardcover. 256 pages filled with magic stuffs.

While I am excited, it should be called the Grimoire to match the Bestiary. Ultimate Magic sounds rather like a Marvel comics IP infringement. Ah well, there's been enough squabbling over terminology in this thread!


After digesting it, I can now see the term Magus as a fighting arcanist class in my mind. Its plural Magi has that shortness about the name, which appears to carry a lot of weight as the concept of fighting arcanists. Magus; yes okay then. Magi; I especially like.

Silver Crusade

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion Subscriber

Is it very bad and wrong that the first thing that was on my mind after reading "Magi" was the supercomputer from Neon Genesis Evangelion ? :)


Gorbacz wrote:
Is it very bad and wrong that the first thing that was on my mind after reading "Magi" was the supercomputer from Neon Genesis Evangelion ? :)

Hmmm lol? I am sure you know that the Magi supercomputer brains in NGE were named Balthazar, Melchior and Caspar, which were pulled from the three original Magi.

Silver Crusade

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion Subscriber
Sagawork Studios wrote:
Gorbacz wrote:
Is it very bad and wrong that the first thing that was on my mind after reading "Magi" was the supercomputer from Neon Genesis Evangelion ? :)
Hmmm lol? I am sure you know that the Magi supercomputer brains in NGE were named Balthazar, Melchior and Caspar, which were pulled from the three original Magi.

Of course I do, except that my twisted mind links first to the anime and later to the original source. :-)


Gorbacz wrote:
Sagawork Studios wrote:
Gorbacz wrote:
Is it very bad and wrong that the first thing that was on my mind after reading "Magi" was the supercomputer from Neon Genesis Evangelion ? :)
Hmmm lol? I am sure you know that the Magi supercomputer brains in NGE were named Balthazar, Melchior and Caspar, which were pulled from the three original Magi.
Of course I do, except that my twisted mind links first to the anime and later to the original source. :-)

Woot! I wish I could do that. I spend most of my time yelling at my television because I cannot (Hey! They totally used XXXX from YYYY!)


Evil Lincoln wrote:
Ah well, there's been enough squabbling over terminology in this thread!

No there's not! Grimoire is the perfect name for such a book, and if there is an english word for a textbook of magic it should be used!

Anyways, I'm totally down with the name Magus for the class. It's vague enough to fit the bill, and sounds totally magical.

Andoran

I like the name. It fits well with the other class names and roles off the tounge nicely. Plus it has the right amount of real world "weight" and is far from being a made up name. Well done!

Of course, I was very partial to a different name but for a pretty specific reason ... which might have gotten more complicated now ... :( Time will tell ...


James Jacobs wrote:

Magus is indeed the name of the class we'll be presenting in Ultimate Magic (and playtesting publicly well before then!). Warlock was a CLOSE second, but we ended up not going with warlock mostly because that class is so closely identified already with the existing (and not open content) warlock class from 3.5/4th edition D&D. To say nothing of the warlock class from World of Warcraft.

So, magus it is!

Neato. Proof once again that Paizo is one of the most customer-friendly organizations in the business.

Qadira

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Roleplaying Game Subscriber
James Jacobs wrote:
delabarre wrote:
Also? This Ultimate Magic of which you write? Was this something announced this weekend?
Ultimate Magic just got announced this weekend at Paizocon. It's the Spring 2011 hardcover. 256 pages filled with magic stuffs.

Well played, sir. While I know others are anxious for psionics and post-level-20 epic rules, a fat hardcover stuffed with new spells and magic items would be my first choice as well.


Marc Radle wrote:
Of course, I was very partial to a different name but for a pretty specific reason ... which might have gotten more complicated now ... :( Time will tell ...

huh?

Qadira

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Roleplaying Game Subscriber
James Jacobs wrote:
Hard G. And "magi" is the plural.

Edit: So "MAY-guss", which is a compromise between the Latinate and the Anglican.


Ellington wrote:
Evil Lincoln wrote:
Ah well, there's been enough squabbling over terminology in this thread!

No there's not! Grimoire is the perfect name for such a book, and if there is an english word for a textbook of magic it should be used!

Anyways, I'm totally down with the name Magus for the class. It's vague enough to fit the bill, and sounds totally magical.

Oh, I definitely think it should be Grimoire. That battle is for another thread, where we can appeal at length to the linguaphilia of the editorial staff. They used "Bestiary" and it was great. Grimoire should be next.

Andoran

Pathfinder Battles Case Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber
Gorbacz wrote:
Is it very bad and wrong that the first thing that was on my mind after reading "Magi" was the supercomputer from Neon Genesis Evangelion ? :)

Can I get rules for my fighter having an AT field? :)

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Evil Lincoln wrote:
Ellington wrote:
Evil Lincoln wrote:
Ah well, there's been enough squabbling over terminology in this thread!

No there's not! Grimoire is the perfect name for such a book, and if there is an english word for a textbook of magic it should be used!

Anyways, I'm totally down with the name Magus for the class. It's vague enough to fit the bill, and sounds totally magical.

Oh, I definitely think it should be Grimoire. That battle is for another thread, where we can appeal at length to the linguaphilia of the editorial staff. They used "Bestiary" and it was great. Grimoire should be next.

I'm not sure such a battle is necessary, as in the book's title is something that we need to build in-house for a number of reasons. Not the least of which is that the title should be something that the buyers and distributors can identify and get behind. "Bestiary" is pretty well known and established in the industry as meaning a "monster book," but "grimoire" is not. And "Ultimate Magic" is much more than just new spells for black magic, so it's not really an accurate name.

Cheliax

TriOmegaZero wrote:
Gorbacz wrote:
Is it very bad and wrong that the first thing that was on my mind after reading "Magi" was the supercomputer from Neon Genesis Evangelion ? :)
Can I get rules for my fighter having an AT field? :)

Maybe, but it comes with the "Insane" and "Anxsty" disadvantages...

Andoran

Pathfinder Battles Case Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber
Draeke Raefel wrote:
TriOmegaZero wrote:
Gorbacz wrote:
Is it very bad and wrong that the first thing that was on my mind after reading "Magi" was the supercomputer from Neon Genesis Evangelion ? :)
Can I get rules for my fighter having an AT field? :)
Maybe, but it comes with the "Insane" and "Anxsty" disadvantages...

I prefer to use the Rebuild errata.


Just want to say that magus is a decent choice IMO.

RPG Superstar 2009 Top 16, 2012 Top 32

delabarre wrote:
James Jacobs wrote:
Hard G. And "magi" is the plural.
Edit: So "MAY-guss", which is a compromise between the Latinate and the Anglican.

In his announcement at the banquet, Jason Bulmahn pronounced it something like MADG-us (rhyming with 'badge us').

651 to 700 of 846 << first < prev | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Publishing / Pathfinder® / Pathfinder RPG / General Discussion / Let's Dish Gish All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.