Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
About Paizo Messageboards News Paizo Blog Help/FAQ
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

PaizoCon 2014!

Suggestion: PDF Readers on iPad and Paizo


Website Feedback


So I just got an iPad this week and I invested in an app called GoodReader. It has no problems viewing our company's product literature in PDF, but there are little errors when I view the Pathfinder PDFs that I have purchased. I can direct you to the Advanced Player's Guide as a good example. The normal text will come in fine, but when you look at the title , "The Alchemist" the A is missing. It is pretty consistent across the other PDFs I have of yours as well.

So my question is, any ideas? Any of you out there in Paizo land have an iPad and are seeing this too or maybe you have a different pdf reader app to suggest that works better?

If this doesn't fall within this topic area, feel free to move it and I apologize ahead of time.

Thanks.

Christopher Brimmer

Grand Lodge

Pathfinder Adventure Path Charter Subscriber

It actually has to do with the reader as there are a number of threads about viewing problems especially on Apple things.


Andrew Betts wrote:
It actually has to do with the reader as there are a number of threads about viewing problems especially on Apple things.

Oh poop. Well here's to hoping that a better app comes out for it.

Taldor

The problem is less common than it used to be. It almost always leaves the main text unscarred.

Qadira

Pathfinder Comics Subscriber; Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Maps, Modules, Roleplaying Game, Tales Subscriber
cbrimmer wrote:
Andrew Betts wrote:
It actually has to do with the reader as there are a number of threads about viewing problems especially on Apple things.

Oh poop. Well here's to hoping that a better app comes out for it.

It's not down to the app. They all use a system library that doesn't cope well with a specific font that Paizo use. Only apps that don't use the Apple supplied library will display properly.


I stopped into the Apple Store last week to check into the problem and they confirmed that it is the iPhone OS' rendering engine that is causing the issue but they have no idea of when it would be fixed.

The test they did was to have me e-mail the pdf to myself. Then when it opened, the iPad uses its rendering engine to view the document. It did the exact same issues.

I returned the iPad. Until they get that problem resolved, I do not wish to spend my money on the product.

Andoran

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Maps Subscriber

I use the Goodreader app and it a problem but not that big of one to me.

I like the fact I have all my books in a 1.5 pound reader. Plus its only the "a" in the titles usually and I can get around that when I am reading it.

Sean

Grand Lodge

Pathfinder Adventure Path Charter Subscriber; Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Companion, Modules, Roleplaying Game Subscriber

I use GoodReader as well. Best 99 cents I've spent in a while. I can download, unzip and organize files straight from the Paizo website. After personalizing in Safari I just wait for the download prompt which asks if I want to download into GoodReader. GoodReader will also pull files from Google Docs, which I use as a cloud-based hard drive.

Perhaps Apple should have allowed this kind of flexibility from the get go but at least there are apps that can lessen the blow from the rigidly closed ecosystem that Apple likes to foment.

It is awesome to have any and all Paizo pdfs I want in a 1.2 pound little slate that is on all the time!


Pathfinder Comics Subscriber; Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Maps, Modules, Pawns, Roleplaying Game, Tales Subscriber
brock wrote:
It's not down to the app. They all use a system library that doesn't cope well with a specific font that Paizo use. Only apps that don't use the Apple supplied library will display properly.

How is it not down to the app if the app is using an improper library?

By your own statement, apps that use a different library work fine...

Osirion

It's not just the iPad. Even on an Apple desktop/laptop, their built-in PDF reader (Preview.app) has an issue with Paizo's PDFs. I had to install Adobe Reader on my Macbook to avoid the same problem.


One of my players just got an ipad but it wouldn't download any of paizo's PDFs through Safari. How did you guy get your PDFs on your ipad, or are we the only people having this problem? This would be vary helpful, thanks

Qadira

Pathfinder Comics Subscriber; Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Maps, Modules, Roleplaying Game, Tales Subscriber
Brian E. Harris wrote:
brock wrote:
It's not down to the app. They all use a system library that doesn't cope well with a specific font that Paizo use. Only apps that don't use the Apple supplied library will display properly.

How is it not down to the app if the app is using an improper library?

By your own statement, apps that use a different library work fine...

The problem is down to the app using the proper library. You shouldn't be installing your own copies of things that the system provides, even if they contain fixes. Apple should fix this.

Grand Lodge

Pathfinder Adventure Path Charter Subscriber; Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Companion, Modules, Roleplaying Game Subscriber
Cyd the Arcmagi wrote:
One of my players just got an ipad but it wouldn't download any of paizo's PDFs through Safari. How did you guy get your PDFs on your ipad, or are we the only people having this problem? This would be vary helpful, thanks

I use GoodReader. Once installed I get an option on the download prompt to download into GoodReader. It's $0.99 but I think it's a must-have app.


Just wanted to let you guys know that the IAnnotatePDF app is fantastic for managing character sheets. While it won't let you fill in specific cells on a form-fillable sheet, you can download Paizo's standard sheet and hand write all your information on the sheet within the app. I highly recommend it to anyone who hates fooling around with loose leaf paper sheets. Now all we need is a high quality dice rolling app, and we'd be all set!

Osirion

Pathfinder Battles Case Subscriber; Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Cards, Companion, Maps, Roleplaying Game Subscriber
Bryan Bloomer wrote:
Just wanted to let you guys know that the IAnnotatePDF app is fantastic for managing character sheets. ... Now all we need is a high quality dice rolling app, and we'd be all set!

I've been working on a Numbers character sheet for Pathfinder, and while I haven't used it in a game yet (too much time GMing), I do plan on using it. It does require that you purchase Numbers for the iPad ($9.99), so its not ideal for everyone. If people are interested, please reply and I'll arrange something to get it distributed.

As for die rolling apps, there are several (primarily for the iPhone, but they'll work on the iPad), but I don't care - I need those physical dice baby!

Grand Lodge

Pathfinder Adventure Path Charter Subscriber; Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Companion, Modules, Roleplaying Game Subscriber

For die-rolling the Diceonomicon just became iPad compatible and it's gorgeous. It is not free however. I think it's $5, which I paid happily.

Andoran

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Maps Subscriber
Bill Faulkner wrote:
Bryan Bloomer wrote:
Just wanted to let you guys know that the IAnnotatePDF app is fantastic for managing character sheets. ... Now all we need is a high quality dice rolling app, and we'd be all set!

I've been working on a Numbers character sheet for Pathfinder, and while I haven't used it in a game yet (too much time GMing), I do plan on using it. It does require that you purchase Numbers for the iPad ($9.99), so its not ideal for everyone. If people are interested, please reply and I'll arrange something to get it distributed.

As for die rolling apps, there are several (primarily for the iPhone, but they'll work on the iPad), but I don't care - I need those physical dice baby!

I would be HIGHLY interested in it!

thenorthman <at> mac <dot> com

Grand Lodge

Pathfinder Adventure Path Charter Subscriber; Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Companion, Modules, Roleplaying Game Subscriber

I don't have Numbers but would get it if there is a good character utility for it.

Osirion

Pathfinder Battles Case Subscriber; Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Cards, Companion, Maps, Roleplaying Game Subscriber
Avemar wrote:
I don't have Numbers but would get it if there is a good character utility for it.

If anyone is interested in my Pathfinder character sheet using Numbers for the iPad, please email me at PathfinderCSRequest (at) me (dot) com and I will email you the spreadsheet.

If I get overwhelmed, I will look into alternative distribution means.

Bill Faulkner


Pathfinder Adventure Path, Roleplaying Game Subscriber

Try FOXIT, I'm not sure if they have IPAD version yet but they were developing one. They do have a version for the Mac. I prefer it Adobe because Adobe is slow on my PC, it's such resource hog. On my older PC it's painful to use Adobe for Paizo products but my new PC it's not as bad. Foxit though works great on both.

Paizo / Messageboards / paizo.com / Website Feedback / Suggestion: PDF Readers on iPad and Paizo All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.
Recent threads in Website Feedback

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.