Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
About Paizo Messageboards News Paizo Blog Help/FAQ
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

The Varnhold Vanishing (GM Reference)


Kingmaker

301 to 350 of 467 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>
Cheliax

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Roleplaying Game Subscriber

I know that this question may have been covered already but I feel that the answer is scattered enough within the module that it's unclear (at least to me).

Why was NOMEN carved within the doorway of the inn as a warning? What was Maester Pendrod trying to communicate to the rest of the world by carving that? I guess I don't get it. Can someone explain it to me?

I feel that the answer is obvious but I just can't see it.


William Bryan wrote:

I know that this question may have been covered already but I feel that the answer is scattered enough within the module that it's unclear (at least to me).

Why was NOMEN carved within the doorway of the inn as a warning? What was Maester Pendrod trying to communicate to the rest of the world by carving that? I guess I don't get it. Can someone explain it to me?

I feel that the answer is obvious but I just can't see it.

I believe that the zombified mayor did that before his fate came calling, mistakenly believing that the Nomen centaurs are to blame...

Cheliax

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Roleplaying Game Subscriber
Turin the Mad wrote:
William Bryan wrote:

I know that this question may have been covered already but I feel that the answer is scattered enough within the module that it's unclear (at least to me).

Why was NOMEN carved within the doorway of the inn as a warning? What was Maester Pendrod trying to communicate to the rest of the world by carving that? I guess I don't get it. Can someone explain it to me?

I feel that the answer is obvious but I just can't see it.

I believe that the zombified mayor did that before his fate came calling, mistakenly believing that the Nomen centaurs are to blame...

No. It wasn't the mayor. It was "the renowned scholar and composer Maestro Ervil Pendrod".

I'm getting the gist of it, that Pendrod's research on the "bracelet" was linked to the Nomen tribe via all of the ancient Nomen markings on the "bracelet". What I don't get is how Pendrod, using "his last once of willpower" tied the Nomen people to the phenomena of all of Varnhold's citizens being beaconed by the Occulus of Abbadon. I just don't see how even a renowned scholar could put that together, and even how that makes any sense.


William Bryan wrote:


No. It wasn't the mayor. It was "the renowned scholar and composer Maestro Ervil Pendrod".

I believe Pendrod, having made the assumption that the bracelet was of Nomen origin, wrote that on the door thinking they were to blame.

Consider it a four-hoof herring.;)

Cheliax

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Roleplaying Game Subscriber
ChrisO wrote:
I believe Pendrod, having made the assumption that the bracelet was of Nomen origin, wrote that on the door thinking they were to blame.

Either that or their history had something to do with Vordakai's' reign 10,000 years ago. A little later in the description, there was a book that Pendrod has that has Vordakai's name written in the margin. Something like, "Vordakai...perhaps an ancient Nomen deity?".

Ok, I think I'm relatively clear on this portion of the module now. I definitely needed to clarify due to this part being so important in the Varnhold investigation. Thanks for those who chimed in! :)

Pathfinder Creative Director, Frog God Games

In the original manuscript Vordekai's tomb was located on Nomen Island from which the guardian centaur tribe later took its name. When the island's name got changed to Vordekai's Island, it makes that clue a lot less helpful or even sensical. Pendrod had figured out where the bracelet came from and what it probably represented and was unable to complete his inscription.

These things happen sometimes in translation from author to editor unfortunately. For instance that cyclops lich was originally named Croatan in the manuscript which tied nicely back to the thematic inscription as well but was changed to Vordekai to prevent a loss of verisimilitude. c'e la vie (or however you spell that)

Then again, who ever really know what "Croatan" was meant to refer to for sure either, so maybe it fits the feel okay after all. :-)


Greg A. Vaughan wrote:

In the original manuscript Vordekai's tomb was located on Nomen Island from which the guardian centaur tribe later took its name. When the island's name got changed to Vordekai's Island, it makes that clue a lot less helpful or even sensical. Pendrod had figured out where the bracelet came from and what it probably represented and was unable to complete his inscription.

These things happen sometimes in translation from author to editor unfortunately. For instance that cyclops lich was originally named Croatan in the manuscript which tied nicely back to the thematic inscription as well but was changed to Vordekai to prevent a loss of verisimilitude. c'e la vie (or however you spell that)

Then again, who ever really know what "Croatan" was meant to refer to for sure either, so maybe it fits the feel okay after all. :-)

"Croatan" would have fit the feel better than "Nomen" did, at least for my group. Most of the players would have caught the reference and gone bug-eyed. I had to explain that "Nomen" = "Croatan" ... *sighs*


Thanks for making this issue a lot clearer, Greg! My group has still to reach Varnhold, but I was really worried about that piece of writing, having two really xenophic deity-ridden characters in my group - so I was prepared to actually leave it out completely. Now it makes sense, at least.

But hey, c'est la vie.

Ruyan.


Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pawns, Roleplaying Game Subscriber
Joules wrote:

Would a Sending Spell

** spoiler omitted **

Sending requires that you be familiar with the person you're sending messages to. So unless your PCs have been spending an inordinately long amount of time in Varnhold, it's incredibly unlikely that they'll be able to use sending to communicate with any of them, regardless of whether or not the spell would actually work.

That being said...

Spoiler:
...once your party makes contact with the people in the soul jars, you might be able to; really, I'd say that's up to you as a GM. I can see arguments for both, but the question at that point becomes: Why would you need/want to?


Archmage_Atrus wrote:


Sending requires that you be familiar with the person you're sending messages to. So unless your PCs have been spending an inordinately long amount of time in Varnhold, it's incredibly unlikely that they'll be able to use sending to communicate with any of them, regardless of whether or not the spell would actually work.

Thanks, I was thinking it was possible in theory. The argument has been made that spending time going through possessions should make the caster familiar with them. Specifically reading through Pendrod's manuscript and notes and studying his possessions. It's creative...I'm mulling it over. Any thoughts?


I'm retooling vordakai and I've got a few questions about his stat block. How is his paralysis DC 25? The formula is 10+1/2 HD+Cha right? That gives 21 total DC instead of 25. I think he also has some extra feats, as I count 14, but with 19 HD and two bonus feats from wizard (scribe scroll and one metamagic or creation feat) he should have 12. Pretty much what I'm wondering is if it's just a mistake or if there's something I'm missing that I'll need to apply to the new version.


Momar wrote:
I'm retooling vordakai and I've got a few questions about his stat block. How is his paralysis DC 25? The formula is 10+1/2 HD+Cha right? That gives 21 total DC instead of 25. I think he also has some extra feats, as I count 14, but with 19 HD and two bonus feats from wizard (scribe scroll and one metamagic or creation feat) he should have 12. Pretty much what I'm wondering is if it's just a mistake or if there's something I'm missing that I'll need to apply to the new version.

Momar,

One of the missing feats can be accounted for by virtue of his being a Necromancer. They get Command Undead or Turn Undead as a bonus feat.
However, that still leaves him with one more than he ought to, by my reckoning.


Drakir2010 wrote:
Momar wrote:
I'm retooling vordakai and I've got a few questions about his stat block. How is his paralysis DC 25? The formula is 10+1/2 HD+Cha right? That gives 21 total DC instead of 25. I think he also has some extra feats, as I count 14, but with 19 HD and two bonus feats from wizard (scribe scroll and one metamagic or creation feat) he should have 12. Pretty much what I'm wondering is if it's just a mistake or if there's something I'm missing that I'll need to apply to the new version.

Momar,

One of the missing feats can be accounted for by virtue of his being a Necromancer. They get Command Undead or Turn Undead as a bonus feat.
However, that still leaves him with one more than he ought to, by my reckoning.

He has 10 racial hit dice that most of the feats were re-assigned for. 10 +9 (half of 19 total hit dice) +3 Charisma bonus = final DC of 22, instead of 25. Just factor the other +3 in as a "ancient lich racial bonus" and call it a wash.

He does have more feats than he technically should have by 1. However, having "atrophied", one could argue that he should have quite a few more feats. 1 more feat - given that 3 of his feats are utterly worthless during a fight - is not going to break the bank.


Joules wrote:
Archmage_Atrus wrote:


Sending requires that you be familiar with the person you're sending messages to. So unless your PCs have been spending an inordinately long amount of time in Varnhold, it's incredibly unlikely that they'll be able to use sending to communicate with any of them, regardless of whether or not the spell would actually work.
Thanks, I was thinking it was possible in theory. The argument has been made that spending time going through possessions should make the caster familiar with them. Specifically reading through Pendrod's manuscript and notes and studying his possessions. It's creative...I'm mulling it over. Any thoughts?

The RAW doesn't seem to allow it, but I agree with you that it is kind of cool and creative, so I think it might be good to give it a chance to work. I'd probably house rule and give it a Spellcraft DC of 25 or so. Difficult but certainly very possible for an 8th or 9th level caster. If you want to make it really difficult to prevent players from abusing this in the future, you can give it a DC of 30 (or even 35 if you have a super-optimized wizard in your group).


Joules wrote:


Thanks, I was thinking it was possible in theory. The argument has been made that spending time going through possessions should make the caster familiar with them. Specifically reading through Pendrod's manuscript and notes and studying his possessions. It's creative...I'm mulling it over. Any thoughts?

It is a cool idea, and I'd give it to them for the thought. But I'd suggest not giving them too much info. Pendrod, as an example, would be a good choice. He'd remember "The Call", and fighting back an intrusion into his mind enough to write "Nomen". If asked where he was, vagueness would be good. "I see naught but mist on an endless plain." He wouldn't remember being led away from Varnhold, or being put in a jar, etc.

Be vague, be cryptic, be eerie. It should make the final reveal all that more telling. :)


Turin the Mad wrote:

He has 10 racial hit dice that most of the feats were re-assigned for. 10 +9 (half of 19 total hit dice) +3 Charisma bonus = final DC of 22, instead of 25. Just factor the other +3 in as a "ancient lich racial bonus" and call it a wash.

He does have more feats than he technically should have by 1. However, having "atrophied", one could argue that he should have quite a few more feats. 1 more feat - given that 3 of his feats are utterly worthless during a fight - is not going to break the bank.

He actually ended up with DC 26 after the reworking, no magic bonus needed, thanks to a eagle's splendor as part of the pre-battle routine and clearing out the non combat useful feats, which made room for ability focus among other things. Plus he's an enchanter now, so he has 9 rounds of aura of despair.


Momar wrote:
Turin the Mad wrote:

He has 10 racial hit dice that most of the feats were re-assigned for. 10 +9 (half of 19 total hit dice) +3 Charisma bonus = final DC of 22, instead of 25. Just factor the other +3 in as a "ancient lich racial bonus" and call it a wash.

He does have more feats than he technically should have by 1. However, having "atrophied", one could argue that he should have quite a few more feats. 1 more feat - given that 3 of his feats are utterly worthless during a fight - is not going to break the bank.

He actually ended up with DC 26 after the reworking, no magic bonus needed, thanks to a eagle's splendor as part of the pre-battle routine and clearing out the non combat useful feats, which made room for ability focus among other things. Plus he's an enchanter now, so he has 9 rounds of aura of despair.

Interesting change up for him. I upgunned mine, so I didn't pay too close attention to the original stat block once I cribbed the necessary bits.


I'm getting to the game a little late, but here are some little things that made me scratch my head ...

Spoiler:

H. Ettercap Lair:
Text says six Ettercaps. Combat paragraph says Ettercaps (4).

T. Ghost Stone:
Text says four Xills. Combat paragraph says Drunken Xills (5).

This item isn't incorrect, only misleading -- In Varnhold, there is a well that connects to L27; there is no L27 on the map, but there is a location L7, which has a well ("It must have meant that it connects to L7"). In reality, L27 is inside the stockade.

I also noticed the "each of these locations is a pit trap" when there's only one location marked.

I assume that the combat paragraphs are the correct ones ... ?

What can one use 'mineral-rich mud' for?

Probably more coming as I go along. Currently planning a year~ of kingdom building.


Troubleshooter wrote:

I'm getting to the game a little late, but here are some little things that made me scratch my head ...

** spoiler omitted **

I assume that the combat paragraphs are the correct ones ... ?

What can one use 'mineral-rich mud' for?

Probably more coming as I go along. Currently planning a year~ of kingdom building.

Resource hex - hot spring baths, fancier ceramics and assorted medicinal uses.


Couple more notes ...

Spoiler:

The Raven swarm in Varnhold seems to break from normal encounter structure; it appears that the PCs are attacked by one CR 3 swarm, until one reads 'four swarms' squirreled away in the text.

I'm actually quite surprised to find that Varnhold mentions 'awarding them the normal 100 xp reward for each new hex added to their map.' I assumed that was for the first chapter only, both because that's all they were originally contracted to do (micro-quest), and because 100 xp is a paltry sum in late stages of the game.


Troubleshooter wrote:

Couple more notes ...

** spoiler omitted **

I'm actually quite surprised to find that Varnhold mentions 'awarding them the normal 100 xp reward for each new hex added to their map.' I assumed that was for the first chapter only, both because that's all they were originally contracted to do (micro-quest), and because 100 xp is a paltry sum in late stages of the game.

That's a consistent number throughout all of the five first chapters of Kingmaker. Early on it's invaluable XP - later, it's hardly worth mentioning as you correctly point out.

Awarding it does serve as a reminder to the players, even when they're 15th level, that they still need to explore those hexes before they send in their hordes o' commoners.


I find myself a little irked at some of the names.

Spoiler:

Tyg is a faerie dragon; Tig is a child who got kidnapped.

Beven is a shepherd who was killed with a girl who worked at an inn; Beven Armaki is an innkeeper with a quest.

Jamandi is an Aldori; Jemanda is from the Academy.

I get the impression that some of them were supposed to be removed in editing. I do understand that some names are just similar, or that some people even share names -- but I think that's a real-world convention that has to be ignored for the purposes of gaming, given players' difficulty in remembering even unique NPC names.

Edit: Armaki and Hanvaki? lol.


Troubleshooter wrote:

I find myself a little irked at some of the names.

I get the impression that some of them were supposed to be removed in editing. I do understand that some names are just similar, or that some people even share names -- but I think that's a real-world convention that has to be ignored for the purposes of gaming, given players' difficulty in remembering even unique NPC names.

Edit: Armaki and Hanvaki? lol.

I am perfectly satisfied by the way Kingmaker skirts around the edges of the One Steve Limit trope. Similar names, but no duplications. If it bugs you, either change the names or keep a dramatis personae with your players.


No duplications besides the two Bevens, anyhow.


Hmmm. Text of "Mmmmm ... Eels!" says he asks for two dozen, and Completion requires twelve.

Cheliax

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Roleplaying Game Subscriber

Is it correct that the Cyclops retains their "Flash if Insight" ability even into undeath (i.e. Dread Zombie)?

If so, I haven't been using this. DAMNIT!! :D


William Bryan wrote:

Is it correct that the Cyclops retains their "Flash if Insight" ability even into undeath (i.e. Dread Zombie)?

If so, I haven't been using this. DAMNIT!! :D

If a cyclops becomes an intelligent undead, yes. And yes, you SHOULD have been using it.


Flash of insight is such an awesome ability! Too bad you missed it to give the zombies a little more oomph!

@Troubleshooter: L27 is inside the stockade.

The ettercap ambush is a joke, it doesn't matter how many ettercaps you send im.
Concerning the other numbers: just see how your group is faring against the smaller number of opponents and add further monster accordingly.

Ruyan.


Yes, I included that in my paragraph (look above -- no edits). It's a deceptive little detail that could possibly be cleared up in future printings, if they do them.


I've a question about Vordakai's familiar. In his paragraph it says "Horagnamon may take a specific act against the PC, as indicated by the text".

Except I haven't found any of these supposed "specific acts" the raven familiar will do, aside from follow them around and give them the feeling they are being watched.

Eitherway, I'm thinking of having Vordakai appear a little before-hand, either to test their mettle in combat or to disguise himself as the professor Ervil Pendrod, and infiltrate their little group, trying to steer them down bad paths(misleading them and possibly trying to make them attack the Nomen). What other ways have you people managed to use him as?


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Gentleman wrote:

I've a question about Vordakai's familiar. In his paragraph it says "Horagnamon may take a specific act against the PC, as indicated by the text".

What other ways have you people managed to use him as?

He followed my players around for days. They spotted him, but he kept flying away. Finally they caught up to him (dimension door), but I had V blow him up. I gave the surrounding PCs a Reflex save for half X damage (can't recall what damage I used). It mentions something similar in the text, but not how or what, so I made it up. I can do that; I'm the GM. :)

Oh, and my players were *shocked* that a believed wizard would do such a thing to his familiar. They just couldn't understand it. But hey, it was that or have the familiar give away spoilers!

Before he was caught, he was the main reason why Soul Eaters kept harassing the party. Each week they spent before H was blown up, they'd be attacked in the night. Annoyed the heck out of 'em (though they learned how to deal with the annoyances rather quickly).


Pathfinder Adventure Path, Maps Subscriber
Zen79 wrote:

In area Z is written:

Quote:
The dragon’s remains are not completely intact—the bones along the right arm and wing are strangely incomplete, as if they had been melted away by a powerful acid.

...but Silver Dragons are immune to acid?

Wait a minute... aren't Silver Dragons immune to cold? (Not acid). Unless something has changed, silvers have always had a cold breath weapon (and thus immune to cold). Copper Dragons have an acid breath weapon (IIRC), and should be the ones immune to acid.

EDIT: OMG! I just double-checked my PFRPG Bestiary and I see that in addition to being immune to cold, Silver Dragons ARE immune to acid! Wow!

Okay... so just disregard my entire post. :P

Dean


The_Minstrel_Wyrm wrote:
Zen79 wrote:

In area Z is written:

Quote:
The dragon’s remains are not completely intact—the bones along the right arm and wing are strangely incomplete, as if they had been melted away by a powerful acid.

...but Silver Dragons are immune to acid?

Wait a minute... aren't Silver Dragons immune to cold? (Not acid). Unless something has changed, silvers have always had a cold breath weapon (and thus immune to cold). Copper Dragons have an acid breath weapon (IIRC), and should be the ones immune to acid.

EDIT: OMG! I just double-checked my PFRPG Bestiary and I see that in addition to being immune to cold, Silver Dragons ARE immune to acid! Wow!

Okay... so just disregard my entire post. :P

Dean

It could also be that the dragon that slew the silver dragon had a ... different ... breath weapon.


ChrisO wrote:
Wanted to stop by and give a hearty thanks to Greg, or whomever it was who came up with the Soul Eater.

Actually, the Soul Eater is from an old X-series module back in the 80s (X4: Master of the Desert Nomads by Dave Cook) and was, as implied in the stat block, resurrected in Necromancer Games' Tome of Horrors.

Does remembering the origin of the Soul Eater (and being able to pull the module off my shelf) make me a grognard? Or just old?


maybe an old grognard...

Grand Lodge

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Modules, Roleplaying Game, Tales Subscriber
RuyanVe wrote:
maybe an old grognard...

Who says it was killed by acid? Why not killed before then acid breath weapon? His immunities only work when he was alive.


Pathfinder Adventure Path, Roleplaying Game Subscriber

Ran into a issue with the Dread Cyclops. It say use the Cyclops and Dread Zombie from the Advanced Bestiary page 105. What is the Advanced Bestiary? I could seem to find what this.


voska66 wrote:
Ran into a issue with the Dread Cyclops. It say use the Cyclops and Dread Zombie from the Advanced Bestiary page 105. What is the Advanced Bestiary? I could seem to find what this.

The Advanced Bestiary is a book of 3.5 monster templates from Green Ronin. Along with the Necromancer/Frog God Tome of Horrors, it's one of the most common non-Paizo/non-SRD sources that Paizo uses to make their encounters more interesting.

As for the Dread Zombie template, it essentially makes a creature into an intelligent zombie with the ability to eat brains (and command nearby mindless zombies). The actual relevant material has been copied over into Paizo's statblocks for the adventure.


Pathfinder Adventure Path, Roleplaying Game Subscriber
Daviot wrote:
voska66 wrote:
Ran into a issue with the Dread Cyclops. It say use the Cyclops and Dread Zombie from the Advanced Bestiary page 105. What is the Advanced Bestiary? I could seem to find what this.

The Advanced Bestiary is a book of 3.5 monster templates from Green Ronin. Along with the Necromancer/Frog God Tome of Horrors, it's one of the most common non-Paizo/non-SRD sources that Paizo uses to make their encounters more interesting.

As for the Dread Zombie template, it essentially makes a creature into an intelligent zombie with the ability to eat brains (and command nearby mindless zombies). The actual relevant material has been copied over into Paizo's statblocks for the adventure.

I couldn't find the stat block for the Dread Zombie Cyclopes. There was one for the Dread Zombie Wizard though. But what does the template apply to a Cyclops?

From what I could tell it appears to add +2 channel resistance, undead traits, brain consumption and command zombies. So that's what I applied to the Cyclops from the Bestiary. I was just wondering if I missed anything.


Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Modules, Roleplaying Game Subscriber
voska66 wrote:
I couldn't find the stat block for the Dread Zombie Cyclopes. There was one for the Dread Zombie Wizard though. But what does the template apply to a Cyclops?

You can find the stat block for the dread zombie cyclops in the description of hex X, pages 18-19.


Pathfinder Adventure Path, Roleplaying Game Subscriber
Olwen wrote:
voska66 wrote:
I couldn't find the stat block for the Dread Zombie Cyclopes. There was one for the Dread Zombie Wizard though. But what does the template apply to a Cyclops?
You can find the stat block for the dread zombie cyclops in the description of hex X, pages 18-19.

That's why, my players went around area X so I didn't do that encounter. I was sure I had read the Dread Zombie Cyclops somewhere in the book. I find normally in the APs they reference the page of stat block if appears in previous encounters though so it left me kind of lost.

Pathfinder Creative Director, Frog God Games

MrTim wrote:
ChrisO wrote:
Wanted to stop by and give a hearty thanks to Greg, or whomever it was who came up with the Soul Eater.

Actually, the Soul Eater is from an old X-series module back in the 80s (X4: Master of the Desert Nomads by Dave Cook) and was, as implied in the stat block, resurrected in Necromancer Games' Tome of Horrors.

Does remembering the origin of the Soul Eater (and being able to pull the module off my shelf) make me a grognard? Or just old?

X4 is just one of the greatest adventures ever is all.

X5 is pretty good, but X4 is one of my faves. Didn't really care for the sequel in X10, though. I know it was intended as a whole different type of thing, but after the first too Master adventures, I was hoping for so much more.


Pathfinder Adventure Path, Maps Subscriber
MrTim wrote:
ChrisO wrote:
Wanted to stop by and give a hearty thanks to Greg, or whomever it was who came up with the Soul Eater.

Actually, the Soul Eater is from an old X-series module back in the 80s (X4: Master of the Desert Nomads by Dave Cook) and was, as implied in the stat block, resurrected in Necromancer Games' Tome of Horrors.

Does remembering the origin of the Soul Eater (and being able to pull the module off my shelf) make me a grognard? Or just old?

Greetings,

Regarding the Soul Eater ... I have a question about his Wisdom Drain ability. I know it's from being hit by a claw attack, but a soul eater has 2 claw attacks... does each (successful) attack have the potential to cause 1d6 Wisdom Drain (damage)? Or is it the "less deadly" 1d6 Wisdom Drain no matter if one or both claw attacks hit?

I'll very likely be GM-ing this encounter tomorrow evening (PCs are in Varnhold now, just fought the Chuul (nearly drowned the PC Magus heh-heh). They haven't yet "stumbled" across the

Spoiler:
pit trap
which I am thinking of increasing). I have 6 PCs and allowed for a 25 point buy... but I am buffing/increasing the encounters to keep pace with 'em. So... in that regard, if the Wis Dmg would be from both claw attacks (provided both attacks hit) I'd be okay with that.

Thanks in advance for any help on this.

~Dean


The_Minstrel_Wyrm wrote:
MrTim wrote:
ChrisO wrote:
Wanted to stop by and give a hearty thanks to Greg, or whomever it was who came up with the Soul Eater.

Actually, the Soul Eater is from an old X-series module back in the 80s (X4: Master of the Desert Nomads by Dave Cook) and was, as implied in the stat block, resurrected in Necromancer Games' Tome of Horrors.

Does remembering the origin of the Soul Eater (and being able to pull the module off my shelf) make me a grognard? Or just old?

Greetings,

Regarding the Soul Eater ... I have a question about his Wisdom Drain ability. I know it's from being hit by a claw attack, but a soul eater has 2 claw attacks... does each (successful) attack have the potential to cause 1d6 Wisdom Drain (damage)? Or is it the "less deadly" 1d6 Wisdom Drain no matter if one or both claw attacks hit?

I'll very likely be GM-ing this encounter tomorrow evening (PCs are in Varnhold now, just fought the Chuul (nearly drowned the PC Magus heh-heh). They haven't yet "stumbled" across the ** spoiler omitted ** which I am thinking of increasing). I have 6 PCs and allowed for a 25 point buy... but I am buffing/increasing the encounters to keep pace with 'em. So... in that regard, if the Wis Dmg would be from both claw attacks (provided both attacks hit) I'd be okay with that.

Thanks in advance for any help on this.

~Dean

Yep - drain their brains ASAFP with those nasty nasty claws. The Big V would approve wholeheartedly.

Pathfinder Creative Director, Frog God Games

The_Minstrel_Wyrm wrote:
MrTim wrote:
ChrisO wrote:
Wanted to stop by and give a hearty thanks to Greg, or whomever it was who came up with the Soul Eater.

Actually, the Soul Eater is from an old X-series module back in the 80s (X4: Master of the Desert Nomads by Dave Cook) and was, as implied in the stat block, resurrected in Necromancer Games' Tome of Horrors.

Does remembering the origin of the Soul Eater (and being able to pull the module off my shelf) make me a grognard? Or just old?

Greetings,

Regarding the Soul Eater ... I have a question about his Wisdom Drain ability. I know it's from being hit by a claw attack, but a soul eater has 2 claw attacks... does each (successful) attack have the potential to cause 1d6 Wisdom Drain (damage)? Or is it the "less deadly" 1d6 Wisdom Drain no matter if one or both claw attacks hit?

I'll very likely be GM-ing this encounter tomorrow evening (PCs are in Varnhold now, just fought the Chuul (nearly drowned the PC Magus heh-heh). They haven't yet "stumbled" across the ** spoiler omitted ** which I am thinking of increasing). I have 6 PCs and allowed for a 25 point buy... but I am buffing/increasing the encounters to keep pace with 'em. So... in that regard, if the Wis Dmg would be from both claw attacks (provided both attacks hit) I'd be okay with that.

Thanks in advance for any help on this.

~Dean

Each claw should cause Wisdom drain.


Pathfinder Adventure Path, Maps Subscriber

@ Turin the Mad & Greg V. ... thank you folks! It's what I would have thought... but glad to have it confirmed. :)

Now I just need to optimize its tactics. (Hmmm flyby attack and fly 100'). I think we have a winner.

BTW... I absolutely loved the (4) murders of crows! I have successfully blinded 4 out of 6 PCs. :)

Dean


I'm in a bit of a bind in my adventure.

My players are raiding Vordakai's tomb right now, and they managed to find the hidden entrance, and managed to break through it's magical lock. They've just gotten part of the Hell Pit, and are now heading in the direction of Vordakai...

The problem is, they're missing out a lot of the dungeon, as well as a LOT of treasures. It's all well that they avoided the evil deathtraps on the first level though, but the entire shrine as well as the prison is a big deal. One of their NPC friends are there(aside from the Centaur), that got kidnapped by Vordakai.

The Hell Pit is not easy to get across, so they might not even try to head that way before jumping on Vordakai. With the updated encounter for 6 players(the one that adds an anti-paladin into the fight), I think it'll be hard without their NPC cohort support. As well as the additional XP/potential level before they tangle with Vordakai itself.


Gentleman wrote:

I'm in a bit of a bind in my adventure.

My players are raiding Vordakai's tomb right now, and they managed to find the hidden entrance, and managed to break through it's magical lock. They've just gotten part of the Hell Pit, and are now heading in the direction of Vordakai...

The problem is, they're missing out a lot of the dungeon, as well as a LOT of treasures. It's all well that they avoided the evil deathtraps on the first level though, but the entire shrine as well as the prison is a big deal. One of their NPC friends are there(aside from the Centaur), that got kidnapped by Vordakai.

The Hell Pit is not easy to get across, so they might not even try to head that way before jumping on Vordakai. With the updated encounter for 6 players(the one that adds an anti-paladin into the fight), I think it'll be hard without their NPC cohort support. As well as the additional XP/potential level before they tangle with Vordakai itself.

Kill zem all ... if they are so foolish as do not "perform a tactical advance to the rear". The survivors can regroup and do a sweep n clear.

Grand Lodge

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Modules, Roleplaying Game, Tales Subscriber
Turin the Mad wrote:
Gentleman wrote:

I'm in a bit of a bind in my adventure.

My players are raiding Vordakai's tomb right now, and they managed to find the hidden entrance, and managed to break through it's magical lock. They've just gotten part of the Hell Pit, and are now heading in the direction of Vordakai...

The problem is, they're missing out a lot of the dungeon, as well as a LOT of treasures. It's all well that they avoided the evil deathtraps on the first level though, but the entire shrine as well as the prison is a big deal. One of their NPC friends are there(aside from the Centaur), that got kidnapped by Vordakai.

The Hell Pit is not easy to get across, so they might not even try to head that way before jumping on Vordakai. With the updated encounter for 6 players(the one that adds an anti-paladin into the fight), I think it'll be hard without their NPC cohort support. As well as the additional XP/potential level before they tangle with Vordakai itself.

Kill zem all ... if they are so foolish as do not "perform a tactical advance to the rear". The survivors can regroup and do a sweep n clear.

Turin your something else man. :-)! We just don't what yet. lol


PJ wrote:
Turin the Mad wrote:
Gentleman wrote:

I'm in a bit of a bind in my adventure.

My players are raiding Vordakai's tomb right now, and they managed to find the hidden entrance, and managed to break through it's magical lock. They've just gotten part of the Hell Pit, and are now heading in the direction of Vordakai...

The problem is, they're missing out a lot of the dungeon, as well as a LOT of treasures. It's all well that they avoided the evil deathtraps on the first level though, but the entire shrine as well as the prison is a big deal. One of their NPC friends are there(aside from the Centaur), that got kidnapped by Vordakai.

The Hell Pit is not easy to get across, so they might not even try to head that way before jumping on Vordakai. With the updated encounter for 6 players(the one that adds an anti-paladin into the fight), I think it'll be hard without their NPC cohort support. As well as the additional XP/potential level before they tangle with Vordakai itself.

Kill zem all ... if they are so foolish as do not "perform a tactical advance to the rear". The survivors can regroup and do a sweep n clear.
Turin your something else man. :-)! We just don't what yet. lol

I endeavor to entertain. :P

301 to 350 of 467 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Publishing / Pathfinder® / Pathfinder Adventure Path / Kingmaker / The Varnhold Vanishing (GM Reference) All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.