Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
About Paizo Messageboards News Paizo Blog Help/FAQ
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

RPG Superstar 2015

French Wolf's Howl of the Carrion King


Play-by-Post

2,751 to 2,789 of 2,789 << first < prev | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | next > last >>

male Human (Garamundi) Fighter 3 (Two-Handed Fighter), Barbarian 1

Erizi is superstitious by nature, and Shimei's words, are the straw that breaks the camel's back. He still does not trust the cowardly Gnoll, but the fear of having the gods turn against him, as well as his companions leaving him alone once again are more than he can bare. He will stay close to the gnoll (he won't give him a name) at all times so he can be ready when the beast shows it's true colors. He still feels that the party chose the gnoll over him, and will mope about all day, but will fight when needed. He doesn't really want to be in charge of anything.


Male Human Cleric 2

"That sounds like a sensible plan my friend. That's why your are the brains around" says Nombir nodding approvingly with a chuckle at Zaid. He then addresses the entire party "We need to get away from this place before the Gnolls come back in force, then make our plan in detail, then we go and find the Gnoll chief in Kelmarane. Rova, you will tell us where the chief is likely to be and no funny business or I'll leave you to him" says Nombir sternly and pointing at Erizi. "Shimei, please lead us to a place near a suitable entry point into the village where we can make our final preparations and we'll go from there. Now everybody grab your gear please and get into our usual party order for the move. Shimei, please lead on when you are ready"

I believe we have a map of Kelmarane somewhere?


Shimei grunts in agreement with Nombir. He has his gear assembled and is ready to go in a few moments. He leads the party in a wide day-spanning arc to the far end of the village.

FW:

Spoiler:
I want to end up near the big boar house. I also want to look for boar food on the way. (animal carcasses , roots, mushrooms, anything the boar might like)


Livvy packs quickly, still more than a little concerned about Rova's wounds, but she does her best to keep up with the others and keep her eyes open for threats as the party follows Shimei.

Perception Rolls, if needed:

1d20 + 8 ⇒ (2) + 8 = 10
1d20 + 8 ⇒ (17) + 8 = 25
1d20 + 8 ⇒ (5) + 8 = 13
1d20 + 8 ⇒ (7) + 8 = 15

The Exchange

Make a survival roll, Shimei.


Survival -- 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (17) + 8 = 25

The Exchange

As Shimei leads the group, including the staggering Rova and slightly tired Felliped back towards the village, he digs up a few roots and tubers along the way. Eventually the party is looking across at the village from the direction of the slave market. It is just as sleepy as before.

Shimei

Spoiler:
With that roll, Shimei smiles as he finds exactly what he is looking for, the black horny truffle, which gives off a sweet sickly stink when rubbed, just the thing a fat boar loves.


Standing up Shimei smiles as he stashes his prizes in his bag. Perfect.

Reaching Kelmarane, Shimei says, "What is the plan now?"

The Exchange

It is about ten in the morning after the lie in and march back from the camp and the more observant can see that there are now two guards on the watchtower, guards that do not seem to be so leaving their posts so often.


Male Human Cleric 2

"Thank you Shimei, this good. Please keep watch on the surrounding area with Erizi and Norn. See if you can spot all of their look outs ". Nombir then looks at Rova and Livvy. "Rova, you need to tell me where the Chief is likely to be and don't lie or you die with us if things go wrong!"

The Exchange

Rova points up towards the battle market, and up towards the higher floors. It may be two or three storeys high, "that where chief Kardswann lives."

Nombir can see the blood dripping out his wounds, the gnoll is shaking slightly as he speaks, the last walk and approach following Shimei had used up some of his reserves.


French Wolf wrote:
Nombir can see the blood dripping out his wounds, the gnoll is shaking slightly as he speaks, the last walk and approach following Shimei had used up some of his reserves.

Heal 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (6) + 1 = 7 Oblivious, that's me.

"I think we will need a distraction. We've alerted them to our presence, they are expecting us to return."


"The guards in the tower will be a problem until nightfall. I would counsel that we wait a hand of days before striking but the haste of some eclipses the wisdom of others."

He grins. "Bow-father willing, I have a distraction at hand if that great boar still breathes."


Male Human (Keleshite) Wizard (conjurer) 2

"I can also provide distractions if need be, both real and not."


"A wait is good. We can heal up," xhe gives Rova a significant look, "and we can watch them to see their patterns better. They might get bored and fall back to normal routine if they think we gave up and moved on."

Looking around, she adds, "But we will need a more defensible camp than the cave. With time today, we should be able to prepare one, right, Shimei?"


male Human (Garamundi) Fighter 3 (Two-Handed Fighter), Barbarian 1

Erizi sits on a boulder a few yards away from the party, idly tossing pebbles at a pile of something smelly and disgusting a few feet away. He pretends not to care what the party is talking about, and every now and then shoots a dirty look at Rova lying panting in a bit of shade. He looks every bit what he is...a petulant child who is not getting his way.


Male Human Cleric 2

Nombir listens to everybody, ponders and then makes a decision. " The longer we wait the more chance that a Gnoll patrol will discover us, but Shimei is correct about the guards and Livvy is correct about the healing. On that basis, we attack tomorrow morning at first light while the village is still sleeping. That will give us time to heal and prepare. Zaid and Shimei can create distractions once the rest of us start to infiltrate the village. Then they can also used their ranged weapons and spells to support the attack initially and then join us in the village once things kick off. I will lead the attack with Erizi and the rest of you follow us. We head straight for the building that Rova has indicated. If it all goes wrong we all run and meet back here. All we all agreed?"

The Exchange

Felliped pipes up, "the battle market is a market too. Mercenaries come and go there every so often. Anyone who has a silver tongue could go inside during the day so long as they can back it up in the pit if things turn nasty. These gnolls would respect strength. But not me, my face they know."


Erizi the Landless wrote:
Erizi sits on a boulder a few yards away from the party, idly tossing pebbles at a pile of something smelly and disgusting a few feet away. He pretends not to care what the party is talking about, and every now and then shoots a dirty look at Rova lying panting in a bit of shade. He looks every bit what he is...a petulant child who is not getting his way.

Dog trots over to sniff Erizi's target. He apparently likes what he smells because he drops on his back and begins wriggling through it.

Livvy wrote:

Looking around, she adds, "But we will need a more defensible camp than the cave. With time today, we should be able to prepare one, right, Shimei?"

"Good eyes to see the foe and an easy retreat are the best defense if we are outnumbered. The trouble with the cave was its single exit. Here we can retreat on the trail we came in on, or cut to that ridge and follow it below the rim."

Nombir wrote:
" The longer we wait the more chance that a Gnoll patrol will discover us, but Shimei is correct about the guards and Livvy is correct about the healing. On that basis, we attack tomorrow morning at first light while the village is still sleeping. That will give us time to heal and prepare. Zaid and Shimei can create distractions once the rest of us start to infiltrate the village. Then they can also used their ranged weapons and spells to support the attack initially and then join us in the village once things kick off. I will lead the attack with Erizi and the rest of you follow us. We head straight for the building that Rova has indicated. If it all goes wrong we all run and meet back here. All we all agreed?"

"You speak with the sphinx' wisdom. We will be well-rested and Zaid can rally his winged ally. I agree."

***

Shimei listens to Felliped's suggestion, but knows it is not the task for him.

If anyone wants to try scouting that way, feel free. It's actually a pretty good idea. FW, if we attack at first light will we be able to fully recharge on spells etc beforehand?

The Exchange

Sure, I mean what are the chances of me rolling 02% and 04% again in the night?


"What do you mean, 'back it up in the pit' - that doesn't sound like something I can do. Not if you have to enter the pit alone."

The Exchange

Apologies, I thought I had answered that question.

Felliped shakes his head, "you wouldn't last long in their pit. Its a test of arms and combat. Much like the arenas of old only much more blood and guts in your face and most people get hurt. I'm not going because they know my face, but not so with some of you."

The Exchange

So shall I take it that the party is resting up until tomorrow morning at first light. Zaid needs to speak with Undrella and Shimei can you spoiler what you intend to do with your "distraction".


FW:

Spoiler:
I plan to calm animal the boar, waltz it down the street by leading it with truffles (handle animal) , and turn it loose in the market. It would work better if I could speak with animals, but I kept dog instead.

Shimei settles in a shaded spot. He suggests watch be kept on Kelmarane and the surrounding area and stands his turn. Dog lies down or wanders the camp begging food, water, or attention.

Map links:
Area Map

Town Map


Male Human (Keleshite) Wizard (conjurer) 2

In the late afternoon Zaid makes his way to the tannery where Undrella lives (with whoever wishes to accompany him).

"Undrella my dear," he tells her, bowing and smiling sweetly "tomorrow morning at first light we go to the battle market to kill Kardswann. You promised you would do something to disable the gnolls there."


Livvy is torn between accompanying the wizard and staying to keep an eye on Rova. She decides to stay behind, "Someone should go with Zaid. Maybe Nombir or Norn?"

The Exchange

Zaid

Spoiler:
Undrella is boiling a pot of bubbling snake, licking her lips and drooling spittle onto the metal rim where it hisses loudly. The smell is fat and oily and clings to his nose.
"What did you say? Tomorrow, right. But the patrols are all out now. They look for Three Jaws or another tribe of gnolls that killed a pack. One of the leaders was killed in an ambush yesterday."
"They are hunting wild and searching the valley high and low for revenge. Kardswann is hopping mad."
The harpy grins at Zaid and scratches one of her blackened teeth, "I can do it, but its hard. Show me why I should help you again." She licks her lips and purses them.


Male Human (Keleshite) Wizard (conjurer) 2

FW:

Spoiler:
"The patrols are all out now? Does this mean there are no gnolls in the battle marked besides Kardswann and his guard?" Zaid pretends he didn't hear Undrella's last question.


Male Human Cleric 2

Nombir will accompany Zaid, as he's his best friend in the world after all. Well actually, he's is only friend!!

The Exchange

Nombir should read the two spoilers above marked for Zaid they occur at Undrella's.

Zaid

Spoiler:
"Mostly, they will return with news over the next day or so. Some quicker than others. Kardswann expects results."
Then she starts to bat those long black thick eyelashes at Zaid and Nombir seductively. "Well, does Zaidy want his friend Undie to help some more?"
bat bat, bat bat.


Male Human (Keleshite) Wizard (conjurer) 2

FW, Nombir:

Spoiler:
Zaid bows even more deeply "Yes Undie my dearest, I do indeed want you to help us more.", even though he is horrified at what she will expect in return.


While Nombir and Zaid visit Undrella, Shimei watches and naps. In the afternoon, prompted by a sudden fervor for community building, he draws together the remaining party members. "We have many unfilled hours before us which will seem unending. Stories would shorten the time. Who will speak of themselves first?"


male Human (Garamundi) Fighter 3 (Two-Handed Fighter), Barbarian 1

After a moment of silence Erizi surprisingly speaks up.

"I have a story".

"It was a few years back". "The place and the time are unimportant". "I belonged to a man named Sythys". He owned many slaves, but was most proud of his stock of gladiators". "It was a brutal life, but if you performed well and helped him win his wagers the rewards were plentiful". "After several successful performances I was finally matched with a Gnoll warrior as a partner match". "We were billed as A barbarian and his pet". "We did well and slept in nicer surroundings with food, wine, and women at our call". "We also were provided with the best of equipment and medical care".

"This wasn't enough for the pet". "He was rough with the slave girls provided to him, and never thought he was given girls worthy of his great prowess". "He was convinced that he was the stronger of us, and we would lose but for his great strength". "For the last time I came to the point where I trusted him, and almost called him friend".

"Then his jealously grew". "He began to resent me, though I wasn't aware at the time". "To shorten the story, he betrayed me during a match, and almost cost me my life". "I learned a good lesson from this". "It is not what you might think...It is not never trust a gnoll". "It is a person is who and what they are, and no amount of honeyed words, or pretended 'good'deeds changes that".

"Three weeks later when I recovered from this wound", Erizi stops and shows a deep and massive scar across his lower back, and side, I went to him in his sleep, and broke his neck with my own hands".

"Thus I ended up working the salt mines with a pick instead of an Sword".

Erizi then silently begins to whittle at a small block of wood, and whistle a wordless tune.

1d20 - 1 ⇒ (9) - 1 = 8 perform Whistling


Male Human Cleric 2

Zaid/FW

Spoiler:
Nombir is keeping watch while Zaid talks with Undrella, but is listening intently. "We can help make your life easier here if you help us. What do you say?" says Nombir winking at Undrella whilst holding his weapon! That will be his morning star by the way!

The Exchange

RL has slammed me this week, I'll try to pick it up this weekend. Sorry for any hold up.

The Exchange

Sorry but I feel I should give you guys a bit more than just leave you in the lurch. My family are all sick, especially my wife so I am busy picking up the slack and prepping for next weekend. Should be back in action by Tuesday of next week.

The Exchange

Of all the games I have run, this has had the best roleplay and interaction. Thank you for that but see the discussion thread.


male Human (Garamundi) Fighter 3 (Two-Handed Fighter), Barbarian 1

Erizi rises in the early morning light, fog and mist swirling about the ground, and gazes at the rising sun. I wonder what this day holds in store he thinks to himself quietly. Then as he watches the beauty of the sun rise and one by one reveal the slumbering forms of his friends, he smiles as a giant crocodile tear slowly makes it's convoluted way down his scarred face.

Seriously, thanks for the game FW. As others have said we'll be here waiting should you choose to return in the future. Also, try to find time to stop in and at least let us know what's going on in your life. We all become friends here on these boards, and our lives would be less full without knowing how you're doing.

2,751 to 2,789 of 2,789 << first < prev | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / French Wolf's Howl of the Carrion King All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.