Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
About Paizo Messageboards News Paizo Blog Help/FAQ
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

STAP Minis again..


Savage Tide Adventure Path


I've seen the threads on minis but I still need some advice.

What is/has everyone used for Koprus? They're large, are they not? I know some folks switched them to Kou-Toa, but I'm keeping them Korpus (Though I am giving them move speed of 15 or 20).

How about for Julajimus?
Skinwalkers?
Wastriliths?
Deinosuchus?
Skulvyns?
Dinosaurs in general? Are you buying toys and trying to get them to size to what we need?

Thanks


cthulhudarren wrote:
I know some folks switched them to Kou-Toa, but I'm keeping them Korpus

WoW Slitherblades seem like your best bet (WoW minis have large bases). However, here is what someone else did.

cthulhudarren wrote:
How about for Julajimus?

I used a toy from a Megabloks set (links to this and the others below are given in the previous threads and available on request)

cthulhudarren wrote:
Skinwalkers?

I used DDM Rakshasas and Mageknight Werelions.

cthulhudarren wrote:
Wastriliths?

Toy eel with arms glued on. This might work though.

cthulhudarren wrote:
Deinosuchus?

Toy alligator

cthulhudarren wrote:
Skulvyns?

I used some Dreamblade critters, but the WoW Murlocs would probably be even better (and easier to get now). DDM Visejaw Crocs can work in a pinch though.

cthulhudarren wrote:
Dinosaurs in general? Are you buying toys and trying to get them to size to what we need?

Yup


Matthew Vincent wrote:
cthulhudarren wrote:
I know some folks switched them to Kou-Toa, but I'm keeping them Korpus

WoW Slitherblades seem like your best bet (WoW minis have large bases). However, here is what someone else did.

cthulhudarren wrote:
How about for Julajimus?

I used a toy from a Megabloks set (links to this and the others below are given in the previous threads and available on request)

cthulhudarren wrote:
Skinwalkers?

I used DDM Rakshasas and Mageknight Werelions.

cthulhudarren wrote:
Wastriliths?

Toy eel with arms glued on. This might work though.

cthulhudarren wrote:
Deinosuchus?

Toy alligator

cthulhudarren wrote:
Skulvyns?

I used some Dreamblade critters, but the WoW Murlocs would probably be even better (and easier to get now). DDM Visejaw Crocs can work in a pinch though.

cthulhudarren wrote:
Dinosaurs in general? Are you buying toys and trying to get them to size to what we need?
Yup

Matthew are you playing WoW minis? I love the game, but cannot get enough people around for organized play. :)

For dinos, I have a handful of felldrakes from chainmail and dnd minis, but the rest are toys. I also have a Star Wars toy (hmmm... ep II answer to the Rancor is called...?) that has roaring which is fun to add. I also have dragons of all sizes and use them for the bigger dinos as needed.


Curaigh wrote:
Matthew are you playing WoW minis?

Nope... I just collect the minis for use in D&D.

Curaigh wrote:
For dinos, I have a handful of felldrakes from chainmail

DDM Guard drakes (33 cents each here) work well for Deinonychus, and the Wow Sunscale Scytheclaw is perfect for Megaraptor. DDM's Macetail Behemoth and Fiendish Tyrannosaurus are of course a given.

But again, toys from the dollar store are often easiest. Also, given the native population's love of undead, a few dino skeletons (either as enemies or allies) seem warranted.

Really though, you'll probably end up with more dino mini's than you'll ever use.

My biggest challenge was finding a half-dozen zombie T-rex's with riders (for later on in STAP). I luckily had several of the T-rex-riders from the Heroscape base set, but other DM's might want to keep their eye out for suitable toys.


cthulhudarren wrote:

I've seen the threads on minis but I still need some advice.

What is/has everyone used for Koprus? They're large, are they not? I know some folks switched them to Kou-Toa, but I'm keeping them Korpus (Though I am giving them move speed of 15 or 20).

How about for Julajimus?
Skinwalkers?
Wastriliths?
Deinosuchus?
Skulvyns?
Dinosaurs in general? Are you buying toys and trying to get them to size to what we need?

Thanks

For now it looks like I'll be using a bunch of hook horrors (I have 4) for a lot of Large sized monsters, including Large sized carnivorous dinos, koprus, and probably demons too. I need to find a good toy store with lots of dinosaurs for more minis. My son has GREAT looking but probably colossal sized T-Rex and King Kong. Are there any of this size in the adventures? What size are the IoD big 8 (I see the T-Rex is only huge) or whatever these are called?

Emerald Anoconda?
Elasmosaurus?
Emraag?


cthulhudarren wrote:
My son has GREAT looking but probably colossal sized T-Rex and King Kong.

If they are the standard 6" size (most of them are), they should actually be fine.

The 6" T-rex is suitable for Temauhti-Tecuani (the advanced T-rex in ToD). TT might only be huge, but it's a darn big huge. If you can't fit the toy on a 3" base, then use a 4" base and call it good.

Meanwhile, the 6" King Kong model is perfect for a Nalfashnee demon (encountered in WoD and EoME)... that's what I've been using. The following can be obtained from a local craft store:
1) a 3" wooden circle to serve as a base... the toy will fit on it.
2) a small feathery ornamental bird... just rip the wings off for the demon (Nalfashee wings are supposed to be undersized anyway)
3) a hot glue gun to affix the wings and the base to Kong (actually, the hot glue gun will be cheaper at the local dollar store). I use my hot glue gun constantly.

Yeah... I know... you'll probably just use your son's toy as is (so as not to mess it up), but other people might find the info interesting.

Also, if obtaining/gluing huge bases isn't an option, one can instead print out a 1" scale grid on a piece of cardstock, cut it to the desired base size, then tape it to the toy.

Emerald Anoconda?: I used a (coiled) toy snake from the dollar store, mounted on a base.

Elasmosaurus?: Most of this will stay under the water, so you could probably just use the top part of a brontosaurus from the dollar store

Emraag?: I used a turtle pool toy (from Target) and mounted a McFarlane aquatic dragon head on it. A Gamera toy would work well though.


Matthew Vincent wrote:


The 6" T-rex is suitable for Temauhti-Tecuani (the advanced T-rex in ToD). TT might only be huge, but it's a darn big huge. If you can't fit the toy on a 3" base, then use a 4" base and call it good.

I checked out these toys again last night... They're bigger than the biggest size in DnD.. 6 squares on a size is still too small! They are nearly 12" tall figures. They look cool too. Too bad I can't use them.


cthulhudarren wrote:
They are nearly 12" tall figures.

Ah. Your son has the *big* ones. I hadn't seen very many of those. Oh well, you could still maybe use the 12" T-rex as Redfang (the Colossal, wingless dragon from EoME).

Here's how I normally measure toys:
1" = medium
2" = large
4" = Huge
8" = Gargantuan
16" = Colossal


Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Cards, Companion, Maps, Modules, Roleplaying Game, Tales Subscriber
Matthew Vincent wrote:

Here's how I normally measure toys:

1" = medium
2" = large
4" = Huge
8" = Gargantuan
16" = Colossal

I've found that the WotC minis generally will measure between the area occupied and the 1.5 times that much so I kind of use this rule of thumb:

1" - 1.5" = medium
2" -3" = large
3" -4.5" = Huge
4" - 6" = Gargantuan
8" -12" = Colossal

I think WotC made a big (pun intended) mistake when they made went from 4 squares for G to 8 for C. I've had to argue this point before and what always works is for me to show it visually....everyone agrees after I show it this way: Take your playing mat and trace the area of a medium then, using the same bottom left corner as you did for the medium, trace out the area of a large so that the medium tracig is contained within the large. Do the same for huge, gargantuan, and then colossal and you will see the disparity.

I think gargantuan should have been 6" and huge 4" or they should have had something between gargantuan and collosal. Well, it's a moot point now, right?

Anyway, I have been looking online for hours for dinosaur minis using a 1/60 scale. The most common is 1/40, which puts a huge triceratops at about 9" long...collosal. However, in reality the triceratops was 25' - 30' long (including tail). Five or Six squares less 5' - 10' of tail...perhaps it really should have been originally statted in the MM as gargantuan? Has anyone statted the H dinos up to G?


Pathfinder Comics Subscriber; Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

Procon has a good selection and decent price for larger dinosaurs of 1/50 to 1/60 scale.

http://thedinosaurpark.com/index.php?cPath=43_42

and the sauropods from papo and safari are of the proper scale, though their other toys are 1/40 ish.

Though the perfect scaled dinosaurs were from the Boston Museum of Science, but they are out of production and commanding a pretty penny.

Oh and the Deinosuchus from Carnegie:

http://thedinosaurpark.com/product_info.php?cPath=43_35&products_id=57

is 1/40 scale, but the Deinosuchus in the AP is actually oversized for a Deinosuchus, they may have advanced it in HD and caused it to become larger, but that makes the toy in perfect scale with the monster.

Halber


Drawdy wrote:


Anyway, I have been looking online for hours for dinosaur minis using a 1/60 scale. The most common is 1/40, which puts a huge triceratops at about 9" long...collosal. However, in reality the triceratops was 25' - 30' long (including tail). Five or Six squares less 5' - 10' of tail...perhaps it really should have been originally statted in the MM as gargantuan? Has anyone statted the H dinos up to G?

Thanks for feeling my pain. I searched for hours as well. I'm not sure about your question on proper size of the critters, though I'm sure google would help.


Robert Hradek wrote:

Procon has a good selection and decent price for larger dinosaurs of 1/50 to 1/60 scale.

http://thedinosaurpark.com/index.php?cPath=43_42

and the sauropods from papo and safari are of the proper scale, though their other toys are 1/40 ish.

Though the perfect scaled dinosaurs were from the Boston Museum of Science, but they are out of production and commanding a pretty penny.

Oh and the Deinosuchus from Carnegie:

http://thedinosaurpark.com/product_info.php?cPath=43_35&products_id=57

is 1/40 scale, but the Deinosuchus in the AP is actually oversized for a Deinosuchus, they may have advanced it in HD and caused it to become larger, but that makes the toy in perfect scale with the monster.

Halber

Those are really nice, thanks for the link! They are pricey though. I think for a Deinosuchus I'll just buy a toy alligator at the party store, that'll be a lot cheaper. I'd really love to find a proper terror bird to use!! (I don't like the reaper mini, plus I don't do the painting thing).

Qadira

Funny, I thought the Reaper bird was pretty much dead-on perfect - but yeah if you don't paint, that is a bit of a limiting factor.

The Reaper is the one I used, and it worked well for us, so I don't have much else of use to add. Sorry. =P


cthulhudarren wrote:
I'd really love to find a proper terror bird to use!!

Desert Warbird from Mage Knight (Dark Riders). Here and here.

Re-basing (is desired) is easy with a hot glue gun. Large sized plastic bases can be obtained from most game stores that sell Warhammer, but wooden disks (from the craft store) or poker chips work fine as large bases too.


Matthew Vincent wrote:
cthulhudarren wrote:
I'd really love to find a proper terror bird to use!!

Desert Warbird from Mage Knight (Dark Riders). Here and here.

Re-basing (is desired) is easy with a hot glue gun. Large sized plastic bases can be obtained from most game stores that sell Warhammer, but wooden disks (from the craft store) or poker chips work fine as large bases too.

I'll be damned. Those would work! Like you said, I just have to figure out how to get them on a proper base. Thanks!


A couple of years ago Dragon had an insert with dragons of the various sizes. I laminated all those and if I do not have the mini will use them. If I do have the mini based on looks, but it is the wrong size I can tape it to the counters. This will set the visual for my players, but let the board stay easy to understand.

Andoran

Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber

Target has great dinosaurs that are pretty close to scale. As mentioned above, just hot-glue them to bases.

I used gnoll claw fighters for Skinwalkers...not perfect, but they're cheap and plentiful and I did this on a budget.

I used blackscale lizardfolk for the large kopru. Again, not perfect, but big, reptilian, and cheap.


cthulhudarren wrote:
Personally I need to figure out what to do for Kopru's

WoW Slitherblades seem like your best bet (WoW minis have large bases). However, here is what someone else did.

Quote:
and all those demons. They're all expensive minis!

Which ones?

Demons can look like anything, so don't feel constrained. Pick up some cheap WoW, dreamblade, Mageknight or Horrorclix uglies, and maybe toys for huge figures.

The most common one you'll need is Hezrou: cheap Chraals or trolls should work fine as proxies.

Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Publishing / Older Products / Dungeon Magazine / Savage Tide Adventure Path / STAP Minis again.. All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.
Recent threads in Savage Tide Adventure Path

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.