Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
About Paizo Messageboards News Paizo Blog Help/FAQ
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

Are YOU ready for some FOOTBALL!


Off-Topic Discussions

201 to 250 of 1,022 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>

houstonderek wrote:
Garydee wrote:
$#@%&*%&# Longhorns!
No kidding. I'm still p!$$3*...

All isn't lost though. With a little help we could still get in the national championship game. We've got to root for Oklahoma State, LSU, and Iowa this week. Even though we're ahead of Florida, it wouldn't hurt if they get upset(sorry Heathy) within the next few weeks.

Andoran

Just thank your Texan gods you don't have to play the mighty Florida Gators.

Andoran

Luke wrote:
Heathansson wrote:

I think it'll be Texas and Penn State this year in the Rose Bowl.

I could be wrong, but I don't think that can happen by the BCS rules. I think the only way the Rose Bowl steals the big game is if the Pac-10 and Big 10 champs are Nos. 1 & 2. If Texas made the game, I think it would be in Miami.

So you're thinking that Florida wins out, but Bama has already lost so that beating them doesn't help us vault over Texas? Either that, or Bama loses before the SEC champ game but then beats us in Atlanta. TT loses and drops out. Those scenarios sound pretty plausible to me.

I'm predicting Penn St. vs UF.

As an aside, I've heard from folks I know who are 'close to the program' that Tebow has already decided to leave next year. I think he graduates before the start of next season, and he and his family have decided to grab the NFL paycheck while he's able. They like the thought of what they could do in their missionary work with that kind of jack.

I think, in a backhanded way, he's saying USC will slip in somehow, and that penn state won't (unless he's completely unaware that the Orange Bowl is the Championship site this year, and the Rose Bowl is just one of the "consolation" BCS bowls (i think it's the Rose Bowl again next year, however...).


Heathansson wrote:
Just thank your Texan gods you don't have to play the mighty Florida Gators.

Tebow would do some real crying if he faced the 'Horns.

Andoran

Garydee wrote:
Heathansson wrote:
Just thank your Texan gods you don't have to play the mighty Florida Gators.
Tebow would do some real crying if he faced the 'Horns.

...two dropped interceptions, four or five dropped first down passes on third downs, egads, Texas beat themselves...

Texas/Florida would be, hands down, the best case scenario for Miami. The two teams are quite similar, very explosive, solid on defense, and, most importantly, fun to watch. Also, both have rabid fan bases.

Oh, well, we'll probably wind up with some crappy Big 10/Pac 10 suckfest...


houstonderek wrote:
Garydee wrote:
Heathansson wrote:
Just thank your Texan gods you don't have to play the mighty Florida Gators.
Tebow would do some real crying if he faced the 'Horns.

...two dropped interceptions, four or five dropped first down passes on third downs, egads, Texas beat themselves...

Texas/Florida would be, hands down, the best case scenario for Miami. The two teams are quite similar, very explosive, solid on defense, and, most importantly, fun to watch. Also, both have rabid fan bases.

Oh, well, we'll probably wind up with some crappy Big 10/Pac 10 suckfest...

How many more years are we going to have to put up with the Big 10 ruining the national championship until something changes? One thing I can agree with Obama is that he wants an 8 team playoff system. The sport needs it. Seriously, how can you let polls and a few computers decide who plays in the championship game instead of letting it be decided on the field?

Andoran

Garydee wrote:
houstonderek wrote:
Garydee wrote:
Heathansson wrote:
Just thank your Texan gods you don't have to play the mighty Florida Gators.
Tebow would do some real crying if he faced the 'Horns.

...two dropped interceptions, four or five dropped first down passes on third downs, egads, Texas beat themselves...

Texas/Florida would be, hands down, the best case scenario for Miami. The two teams are quite similar, very explosive, solid on defense, and, most importantly, fun to watch. Also, both have rabid fan bases.

Oh, well, we'll probably wind up with some crappy Big 10/Pac 10 suckfest...

How many more years are we going to have to put up with the Big 10 ruining the national championship until something changes? One thing I can agree with Obama is that he wants an 8 team playoff system. The sport needs it. Seriously, how can you let polls and a few computers decide who plays in the championship game instead of letting it be decided on the field?

We'll have to put up with it until the NCAA demotes the Big 10 to "second tier" status. They cannot hang with the SEC or Big 12 year in/year out and embarrass themselves every year in the bowl games...

Osirion RPG Superstar 2013

Texas did not beat themselves. Harrel is clutch, Crabtree played awesome, and most importantly, the Raiders played the best defense of their lives.

I'm all about the big 12, but don't be mad at me for hoping Baylor or Kansas can step up. With Texas Tech and OSU as the Sooners' last two games, assuming two great games and 2 Big Red wins, the computers will be really good to us as long as the humans are, too.

But the voters won't put us in without being Big 12 champs, so I'm a Bears fan this week, too. If OU can't go, I'll be hoping for the Horns pass ruch to brutalize the SEC champions.

Hey,and how about some props for my Steelers! 6-2 with these injuries? With that record? Hold on, guys!


GIANTS!GIANTS!GIANTS! The 8 - 1 Super Bowl champs.

SAMMICH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Taldor

Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber
secretturchinman wrote:

GIANTS!GIANTS!GIANTS! The 8 - 1 Super Bowl champs.

SAMMICH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

BooOOOoooooo!


secretturchinman wrote:

GIANTS!GIANTS!GIANTS! The 8 - 1 Super Bowl champs.

SAMMICH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Correction: the 9 - 1 SUPERBOWL CHAMPS!!!!

Fire. Except no substitute.


Callous Jack wrote:

Woo! Eagles!

LOL, you think they play football.


Grey Cup tomorrow night in Montreal! The Alouettes are going to do something unspeakable to the Calgary Stampeders!


secretturchinman wrote:
secretturchinman wrote:

GIANTS!GIANTS!GIANTS! The 8 - 1 Super Bowl champs.

SAMMICH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Correction: the 9 - 1 SUPERBOWL CHAMPS!!!!

Fire. Except no substitute.

10 -1.

Fire. Except no substitute.


12 - 3. Homefield locked up!! GIANTS!GIANTS!GIANTS!


secretturchinman wrote:
12 - 3. Homefield locked up!! GIANTS!GIANTS!GIANTS!

That was one heck of a game!

Andoran

It amazes me that more field goal kickers don't sport black eyes...

*cough*chokeonachipshot*cough*

Andoran

So close...GRRRRR. And that was only the second field goal John Kasay has missed all season.

Congrats to the Giants. With any luck, we'll be back in a few weeks to try again.

Go Panthers!


houstonderek wrote:

It amazes me that more field goal kickers don't sport black eyes...

*cough*chokeonachipshot*cough*

Derek, that was a 50 yard field goal with a stiff wind. Not exactly an easy kick.

Andoran

Garydee wrote:
houstonderek wrote:

It amazes me that more field goal kickers don't sport black eyes...

*cough*chokeonachipshot*cough*

Derek, that was a 50 yard field goal with a stiff wind. Not exactly an easy kick.

Dude makes $2 million a year. Homefield advantage was on the line. He's on my fantasy team and we get negative points for misses (and I'm in the championship game).

Bah. Make the damned thing...

Andoran

Kasay kicked the game winner yesterday against New Orleans, locking up the NFC South title and the second seed in the NFC.

Not total redemption, but I'll take it.


Valegrim wrote:

Ok; once again full of hope; GO LIONS!!!

yeah, I know...pipe dream.

They did it! Perfect Season!

Sorry man...

Andoran

tdewitt274 wrote:
Valegrim wrote:

Ok; once again full of hope; GO LIONS!!!

yeah, I know...pipe dream.

They did it! Perfect Season!

Sorry man...

With apologies to the Lions fans, I was glad of this. The Panthers had the old record of 15 straight losses.

Cheliax

It was announced this morning that the Lions have fired their entire coaching staff. I guess it's cheaper then firing the whole team.

Qadira

David Fryer wrote:
It was announced this morning that the Lions have fired their entire coaching staff. I guess it's cheaper then firing the whole team.

And then they go ahead and promote Martin Mayhew to GM and Tom Lewand to team president. Two guys that have been here throughout most of the Millen era. Goes to show the true root cause of the problem - Bill Ford, Sr. Until he's gone, the Lions will suck and us Lions fans will keep getting disappointed. Makes me disgusted.

Cheliax

And now the Jets are firing their coach, even though it was their new fair haired boy Brett Farve that got them into trouble. When you through almost as many interceptions in a season as you do touchdowns, there isn't much the coach can do.

Andoran

I thought it was so deliciously appropriate that the Jets fell to the QB they released to pick up Favre. You could tell Pennington was enjoying that win and playoff berth WAY more than he would have if he had clinched against, say, the Lions...


Kansas Jayhawks in back-to-back bowl games for the first time EVAH. Rock Chalk Jayhawk!

Garydee wrote:
If soccer is going to make it in America, the offsides rule is going to have to be modified in order for scoring to increase.

Taking soccer outside of the context the rest of the world plays with would be a massive mistake and ghettoize the sport further in the long run. Nobody cares about all the goals in indoor soccer. ;)

Besides, if you're really into the sport, you know that while the goals can be the huge emotional moments that make or break the drama, the play's the thing. Americans think nothing is going on because they don't understand the sport -- in fact, the opposite is true. There's something going on for the full 90 minutes (unless you are watching Newcastle United). And no commercials during play. :)

Andoran

Chris Kennedy wrote:
Americans think nothing is going on because they don't understand the sport -- in fact, the opposite is true.

I REALLY hate this common, very condescending, typical euro comment. Um, a lot of American kids grow up playing soccer, and understand the game quite well, thank you. This may be why we don't WATCH much of it. We have 24 hours in a day, and spending 90+ minutes of it watching the sporting equivalent of paint drying isn't something we like to do.

And another thing, would SOMEONE tell euro basketball players to stop being flopping fake wussies like their soccer counterparts?

Seriously, they're screwing up the NBA...

Cheliax

houstonderek wrote:

And another thing, would SOMEONE tell euro basketball players to stop being flopping fake wussies like their soccer counterparts?

Seriously, they're screwing up the NBA...

It's not just Euro players that do it. I was watching the Jazz-Rockets game on Saturday and Ron Artest was flopping so much that I thought someone had put a trout in his uniform and thrown it out on the floor. In fact they are teaching the fine art of flopping in my son's basketball clinics.

If anything is screwing up the NBA, it's bad oficiating. Seriously, when Ron Artest elbows Kyle Korver in the face during a layup, how is it that Korver commited the foul? I get that Artest is a "superstar" and Korver isn't, but should that really matter to the refs?


Chris Kennedy wrote:

Kansas Jayhawks in back-to-back bowl games for the first time EVAH. Rock Chalk Jayhawk!

Garydee wrote:
If soccer is going to make it in America, the offsides rule is going to have to be modified in order for scoring to increase.

Taking soccer outside of the context the rest of the world plays with would be a massive mistake and ghettoize the sport further in the long run. Nobody cares about all the goals in indoor soccer. ;)

Besides, if you're really into the sport, you know that while the goals can be the huge emotional moments that make or break the drama, the play's the thing. Americans think nothing is going on because they don't understand the sport -- in fact, the opposite is true. There's something going on for the full 90 minutes (unless you are watching Newcastle United). And no commercials during play. :)

Actually I played soccer in my younger days and I was fairly good at it. It's a fun sport to play, just not fun to watch.

Paizo Employee Publisher, Chief Creative Officer

Chris Kennedy wrote:

Kansas Jayhawks in back-to-back bowl games for the first time EVAH. Rock Chalk Jayhawk!

Bah. GO GOPHERS! SKY-U-MAH!

:PpPpPpPpPp

Chris Kennedy wrote:


Taking soccer outside of the context the rest of the world plays with would be a massive mistake and ghettoize the sport further in the long run. Nobody cares about all the goals in indoor soccer. ;)

Besides, if you're really into the sport, you know that while the goals can be the huge emotional moments that make or break the drama, the play's the thing. Americans think nothing is going on because they don't understand the sport -- in fact, the opposite is true. There's something going on for the full 90 minutes (unless you are watching Newcastle United). And no commercials during play. :)

I 100% agree with this. I never played soccer as a kid, and it was only after about three years of continuous play of Electronic Arts FIFA console games that I finally understood soccer as a sport. It is _not_ about scoring, but rather opening potential opportunities for scoring.

Soccer really is a great game. It's sort of pathetic that we're one of the few countries on earth that has never really embraced it.

Paizo Employee Publisher, Chief Creative Officer

Oh, and btw....

SKOAL VIKINGS!

Cheliax

Erik Mona wrote:


Soccer really is a great game. It's sort of pathetic that we're one of the few countries on earth that has never really embraced it.

Soccer is really all about finess and strategy. That has never been the American way. We've always been more about crushing an opponent with overwhelming force, hence the popularity of American Rules Football.

Paizo Employee Publisher, Chief Creative Officer

Which, before anyone stomps on me for liking soccer or calls me European, is the GREATEST SPORT IN THE WORLD.


David Fryer wrote:
Erik Mona wrote:


Soccer really is a great game. It's sort of pathetic that we're one of the few countries on earth that has never really embraced it.

Soccer is really all about finess and strategy. That has never been the American way. We've always been more about crushing an opponent with overwhelming force, hence the popularity of American Rules Football.

Soccer does have a certain strategy to it but it is nowhere as sophisticated or as complex as American football. That's why I love football. It's chess with a brutal side to it. :)

Andoran

David Fryer wrote:
houstonderek wrote:

And another thing, would SOMEONE tell euro basketball players to stop being flopping fake wussies like their soccer counterparts?

Seriously, they're screwing up the NBA...

It's not just Euro players that do it. I was watching the Jazz-Rockets game on Saturday and Ron Artest was flopping so much that I thought someone had put a trout in his uniform and thrown it out on the floor. In fact they are teaching the fine art of flopping in my son's basketball clinics.

If anything is screwing up the NBA, it's bad oficiating. Seriously, when Ron Artest elbows Kyle Korver in the face during a layup, how is it that Korver commited the foul? I get that Artest is a "superstar" and Korver isn't, but should that really matter to the refs?

No, acually I think that was a bit of revenge for John Stockton, Consensus DIRTIEST PLAYER EVER (Honorable Mention: Bill Laimbeer...)

Osirion

Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

Congratulations to the Miami Dolphins for winning their division and knocking the Patriots out of the playoffs completely. Christmas really is a time of miracles.

Cheliax

houstonderek wrote:

No, acually I think that was a bit of revenge for John Stockton, Consensus DIRTIEST PLAYER EVER (Honorable Mention: Bill Laimbeer...)

Actually Bill Laimbeer was named by Sports Illustrated as the dirtiest player ever, and Stockton wasn't even on the list. In fact Laimbeer was named dirtiest player in ANY pro sport, ever, so that should say something The problem is that Stockton was like Byrd, Magic, and Chamberlin, he came from the no blood no foul era, he just stuck around after that era ended. Almost any player from that era would be labeled dirty now.

Artest on the other hand is just a thug, and I think the officials are afraid of him. I can't imagine that any team would sign him after his antics up in Detroit. I think it's time the NBA went and sent all the thugs packing and brought in some real ballers who aren't afraid to play physical, but at the same time leave their beefs on the court.


Erik Mona wrote:

Which, before anyone stomps on me for liking soccer or calls me European, is the GREATEST SPORT IN THE WORLD.

No Rugby Union, followed by Australian Rules Football, then Hurley and Gaelic football are the greatest sports in the world.

Go the Tahs!!!!

Qadira RPG Superstar 2008 Top 6, Contributor

I admit I don't watch much soccer, but I like it when I do. Played it for years as a kid. There's definitely a lot going on in a soccer game.

I tend to need at least a slight stake in a sport to watch it. So I watch the Ducks (I went to Oregon), but that's about it. If the Blazers ever get interesting again, I might watch them.

Qadira

Chris Kennedy wrote:


Taking soccer outside of the context the rest of the world plays with would be a massive mistake and ghettoize the sport further in the long run. Nobody cares about all the goals in indoor soccer. ;)

Offsides needs to be eliminated period, as in everywhere, not just the US. It's pretty retarded when a player shoots, the ball hits the post, and his teammate who slots in the rebound gets called for being offsides.


Go Lions!

Andoran

David Fryer wrote:
Artest on the other hand is just a thug, and I think the officials are afraid of him. I can't imagine that any team would sign him after his antics up in Detroit. I think it's time the NBA went and sent all the thugs packing and brought in some real ballers who aren't afraid to play physical, but at the same time leave their beefs on the court.

"His antics up in Detroit"?

Seriously, I think the Pacers should have been allowed to take the punk who threw the beer out behind the Palace and beat him to a pulp. Blame that one on the Detroit "fans" (second only to Philly in rudeness and championship riots...).

Qadira RPG Superstar 2008 Top 6, Contributor

houstonderek wrote:
Seriously, I think the Pacers should have been allowed to take the punk who threw the beer out behind the Palace and beat him to a pulp. Blame that one on the Detroit "fans" (second only to Philly in rudeness and championship riots...).

You don't go up in the stands after a fan, pretty much period. Certainly not over a plastic cup. One of the dumbest things I've ever seen an athlete do, although I think Onterrio Smith wins with the Whizzinator.

Osirion

Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber
GAAAHHHH wrote:
Go Lions!

It really sucks that the Lions went 0-16. I thought for sure that the Saints would be the first to do that.

Cheliax

houstonderek wrote:
David Fryer wrote:
Artest on the other hand is just a thug, and I think the officials are afraid of him. I can't imagine that any team would sign him after his antics up in Detroit. I think it's time the NBA went and sent all the thugs packing and brought in some real ballers who aren't afraid to play physical, but at the same time leave their beefs on the court.

"His antics up in Detroit"?

Seriously, I think the Pacers should have been allowed to take the punk who threw the beer out behind the Palace and beat him to a pulp. Blame that one on the Detroit "fans" (second only to Philly in rudeness and championship riots...).

If you went after a customer at the place you worked, regardless of the provocation, you would be out of a job, right? Why should it be any different for an NBA player. The fans in the stands are their customers.

Andoran

David Fryer wrote:
If you went after a customer at the place you worked, regardless of the provocation, you would be out of a job, right? Why should it be any different for an NBA player. The fans in the stands are their customers.

If I just "went after a customer", sure.

If the customer committed misdemeanor assault (i.e. threw something at me), and I reacted in an aggressive manner, not so much.

I don't care how much NBA (or NFL, MLB, NHL...) tickets cost, the purchase price does NOT give you the right to assault the players. Reminds me of when the Eagles fans were chucking snowballs with batteries packed in them.

Cheliax

houstonderek wrote:
David Fryer wrote:
If you went after a customer at the place you worked, regardless of the provocation, you would be out of a job, right? Why should it be any different for an NBA player. The fans in the stands are their customers.

If I just "went after a customer", sure.

If the customer committed misdemeanor assault (i.e. threw something at me), and I reacted in an aggressive manner, not so much.

But what if the customer who threw the item was not the person you hit? That was the case with Artest. There was a cup thrown at him, but it was by a different fan then the one that he went after in the stands, and that makes all the difference in the world.

Edit: Not to mention that Artest has a habit of throwing elbows to the head. When you consider all the trouble he was in before the incident and all the issues he has had since, I still wonder why any team would want all that baggage.

Cheliax

Thomas Jones says that Brett Farve should have been benched at some point in thie season. I can't say that I disagree. Farve threw 22 touchdown passes and 22 interceptions this season. In their last five games he threw 9 interceptions and only 2 touchdown passes. He was the worst in the league for interceptions, an yet he's still going to the Pro Bowl? It should be Farve looking for work today, rather than the poor Jets coach who had to try and work with that.

201 to 250 of 1,022 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Off-Topic Discussions / Are YOU ready for some FOOTBALL! All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.