Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
About Paizo Messageboards News Paizo Blog Help/FAQ
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

Dro vs. Drou


D&D 3.5/d20/OGL

101 to 133 of 133 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | next > last >>
Cheliax

Pathfinder Adventure Path Charter Subscriber; Pathfinder Comics Subscriber; Pathfinder Tales Subscriber
Azzy wrote:
Larry Lichman wrote:
The Eldritch Mr. Shiny wrote:


Lich - LITCH

Speaking as a Lich, I prefer the above pronunciation to the overdone "lik" I have heard by a few others in the past.

I am glad to see that Lich is being pronounced properly more often these days, as those that mispronounced "Lich" in the past have slowly disappeared...

Considering the etymology of the word, isn't "lik" closer to the proper pronunciation?

Etymology be d*mned! We Liches are tired of being lumped in with puppy dog tongues and salt blocks for wildlife!

Pronounce it correctly, or face the consequences!

*prepares Finger of Death*

Andoran

Callous Jack wrote:
The Eldritch Mr. Shiny wrote:
Paizo - PAY-zo (the original Greek pronunciation)
I thought it was pie-zoe.

That's certainly how our friends at Paizo say it ...

Sczarni

Forget drou vs. dro. I want to know how to pronounce "Asmodeus." Every dictionary I can find it in has it pronounced "az-muh-DEE-uhs" or "az-muh-DAY-uhs" with the em-FAS-sis on the third si-LAB-buhl. Is that the way the PIE-zoh folks pronounce it?


I don't know about Paizo, but in my group, we've always always pronounced it "az-MOH-dee-us".

Cheliax

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Tales Subscriber
James Jacobs wrote:
Yup; drow rhymes with cow or brow or now.

Thats funny because the Forward to "Shadow in the Sky" by a certain James Jacobs has a heading in large font called "RHYMES WITH BOW".

Has there been an errata with the changeover from 3.5 to Pathfinder?

In my mind bows are dangerous and often used by elves while cows are generally neither.


Just found this in the Official Pronunciation Guide from the Jan. '85 issue of Dragon:

Drow: drow, or dro

There! that settles it officially....

Wait, wasn't that the original question?

And as for cows.... I've encountered some as agressive as bulls. Suckers'll chase you down! :)


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Dro elves? Makes them sound like gangster rappers or something.

Andoran

Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber
Pyrrhic Victory wrote:
James Jacobs wrote:
Yup; drow rhymes with cow or brow or now.

Thats funny because the Forward to "Shadow in the Sky" by a certain James Jacobs has a heading in large font called "RHYMES WITH BOW".

Has there been an errata with the changeover from 3.5 to Pathfinder?

In my mind bows are dangerous and often used by elves while cows are generally neither.

Apparently satire is not your strong point. He is not making an official pronounciation, he is making a play on the "drow vs dro" pronounciation argument.

RPG Superstar 2012 Top 32

Is killing dark elves considered "dropping drow?"


SmiloDan, you must be a Scotsman. :D

Shadow Lodge

Pyrrhic Victory wrote:
James Jacobs wrote:
Yup; drow rhymes with cow or brow or now.

Thats funny because the Forward to "Shadow in the Sky" by a certain James Jacobs has a heading in large font called "RHYMES WITH BOW".

Has there been an errata with the changeover from 3.5 to Pathfinder?

In my mind bows are dangerous and often used by elves while cows are generally neither.

I think you missed the joke. Bow (the weapon) and Bow (a dipping of the head or torso in respect) are spelled the same but pronounced differently depending on which meaning you intend. And since those two pronunciations happen to rhyme with the two possible pronunciations of Drow....

Also Holy Necromancy Batman.

Cheliax

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Tales Subscriber
HangarFlying wrote:


Apparently satire is not your strong point. He is not making an official pronounciation, he is making a play on the "drow vs dro" pronounciation argument.

Actually my grasp of satire is pretty good. The purpose of satire is to criticize stupidity or vice via exageration, irony or humor. If this is truely "satire" then James is either calling half the gaming world stupid or immoral and I don't think that is his style. So perhaps satire is not exactly your strong point.

Needless to say I think the association of "bowing" aka kowtowing with dark elves is pretty weak. Bows (things that shoot) are pretty heavily associated with elves and kowtowing is not and...

even if I am totally wrong about all of the above, this does nothing to refute my further cow(bovine) based argument.:)


I have to admit, this thread has changed my mind. When I started reading it, I didn't really care. But the many snotty assertions that "It rhymes with cow, Duh! It's been made official!" have led me to believe that the cool, laid-back people must therefore be the outcasts who rhyme it with low. So I'll be joining them henceforth.

Andoran

Kirth Gersen wrote:
I have to admit, this thread has changed my mind. When I started reading it, I didn't really care. But the many snotty assertions that "It rhymes with cow, Duh! It's been made official!" have led me to believe that the cool, laid-back people must therefore be the outcasts who rhyme it with low. So I'll be joining them henceforth.

I've said this in various threads when it has come up, but my friends and I, going all the way back to First Edition AD&D in the late '70's and early '80's ALWAYS said Drow (rhymes with 'Go').

Funny side story ... the DM of my current group says Drow (rhymes with 'Now') and we sometimes have good-natured little snark battles about it. The other day, during our weekly game, he mentioned Drow in passing and pronounced it like 'Go'. I'm pretty sure he didn't even notice he did it, bit it made me chuckle ... I think I may have converted another one to the Light Side (or Dark Side, depending on your view :)

So, I guess I too am a proud member of the cool, laid-back people :)

RPG Superstar 2012 Top 32

Jerry Wright 307 wrote:
SmiloDan, you must be a Scotsman. :D

Nope! 1/2 Welsh, 1/4 Irish, and 1/4 Italian.


What a combination! No woman (or man) is safe around you. :)

Andoran

Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber
Pyrrhic Victory wrote:
HangarFlying wrote:


Apparently satire is not your strong point. He is not making an official pronounciation, he is making a play on the "drow vs dro" pronounciation argument.
Actually my grasp of satire is pretty good. The purpose of satire is to criticize stupidity or vice via exageration, irony or humor. If this is truely "satire" then James is either calling half the gaming world stupid or immoral and I don't think that is his style. So perhaps satire is not exactly your strong point.

Yes, very true. My bad.

Shadow Lodge

Pyrrhic Victory wrote:
HangarFlying wrote:


Apparently satire is not your strong point. He is not making an official pronounciation, he is making a play on the "drow vs dro" pronounciation argument.
Actually my grasp of satire is pretty good. The purpose of satire is to criticize stupidity or vice via exageration, irony or humor. If this is truely "satire" then James is either calling half the gaming world stupid or immoral and I don't think that is his style. So perhaps satire is not exactly your strong point.

He's not calling anyone stupid. He's deliberately picking a word with two pronunciations for the same spelling so that he can respond but intentionally leave the true answer vague as a reference to this very argument.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Is there any shibboleth that's greater than this reoccurring debate within D&D?


Rollplay vs Roleplay, I reckon.

Shadow Lodge

That one doesn't have anything to do with pronunciation thankfully, it has enough problems without ;)

Grand Lodge

Andrew Turner wrote:
kessukoofah wrote:
...well, I could just as easily flip that and ask why the words cow, how, now, etc are the way they are. or even better, why are there words like sow, row and bow that change meanings if they're pronounced differantly? it's just the way the languages evolved is all. and way back when, someone decided that drow rhymies with cow. that's all. it could ahve easily gone the other way. in fact it had a 50% chance of going the other way. but the world works in mysterious ways..

The big difference is the construction of those words.

cow
how
now
are missing a key infrastructure--the preceding 'r'--that should, if present, naturally result in a linguistic syllogism.

Throw and grow, for example, have a preceding letter or letter set followed by letter 'r' and concluded with letters 'ow.' They are always pronounced with an /O/ sound. Therefore, 'drow' must be pronounced /drO/...

Brow??


Our group have always pronounced it to rhyme with "crow".

It just sounds more sinister to our ears than it rhyming with "ow".


It's obviously some elf-only diphthong that round eared humans can't distinguish.

Andoran RPG Superstar 2013 Top 16

Daemon. DO you say DAY-mon, DIE-mon, DEE-mon?


Charlie Bell wrote:
Daemon. DO you say DAY-mon, DIE-mon, DEE-mon?

Coincidentally, also the CEO of JP Morgan Chase...

[/threadjack]

Shadow Lodge

Charlie Bell wrote:
Daemon. DO you say DAY-mon, DIE-mon, DEE-mon?

Day-mon. Dee-mon is Demon, and the two are confusingly close already as is.

Qadira

Lordzum wrote:
Andrew Turner wrote:
kessukoofah wrote:
...well, I could just as easily flip that and ask why the words cow, how, now, etc are the way they are. or even better, why are there words like sow, row and bow that change meanings if they're pronounced differantly? it's just the way the languages evolved is all. and way back when, someone decided that drow rhymies with cow. that's all. it could ahve easily gone the other way. in fact it had a 50% chance of going the other way. but the world works in mysterious ways..

The big difference is the construction of those words.

cow
how
now
are missing a key infrastructure--the preceding 'r'--that should, if present, naturally result in a linguistic syllogism.

Throw and grow, for example, have a preceding letter or letter set followed by letter 'r' and concluded with letters 'ow.' They are always pronounced with an /O/ sound. Therefore, 'drow' must be pronounced /drO/...

Brow??

Already done earlier with Growl in with it. Even though Growl doesn't work since it introduces a new letter, l, which messes up the pronounciation.

Shadow Lodge

"The problem with defending the purity of the English language is that the English language is as pure as a crib-house whore. It not only borrows words from other languages; it has on occasion chased other languages down dark alley-ways, clubbed them unconscious and rifled their pockets for new vocabulary." ~ James Nicoll


Orthos wrote:
"The problem with defending the purity of the English language is that the English language is as pure as a crib-house whore. It not only borrows words from other languages; it has on occasion chased other languages down dark alley-ways, clubbed them unconscious and rifled their pockets for new vocabulary." ~ James Nicoll

That just became my facebook post.

Silver Crusade

Okay then while we are on pronunciation...which holy crap did that go long...can someone pronounce Sahuagin.

Btw Ass Brains...too funny

Shadow Lodge

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Zealot wrote:
can someone pronounce Sahuagin.

Sah-HWAH-gin or Sah-HWAH-jin, depending on who you ask.

Though I have heard Sa-HOO-ah-gin/jin before, once or twice.

Andoran RPG Superstar 2013 Top 16

SAH-hwah-GEEN.

101 to 133 of 133 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Gaming / D&D 3.5/d20/OGL / Dro vs. Drou All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.
Recent threads in D&D 3.5/d20/OGL

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.