Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
About Paizo Messageboards News Paizo Blog Help/FAQ
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

PaizoCon 2014!

Adobe Reader 9... grrr


Pathfinder Campaign Setting General Discussion

Osirion RPG Superstar 2009 Top 32

Anyone else have trouble grabbing images from the .pdfs after updating to Adobe Reader 9? I tried it on my workstation and it wouldn't even let me select them. Luckily I hadven't updated my Laptop yet and so just grabbed them from there.
I'm sure there's a way around this, anyone know what it is?


flash_cxxi wrote:

Anyone else have trouble grabbing images from the .pdfs after updating to Adobe Reader 9? I tried it on my workstation and it wouldn't even let me select them. Luckily I hadven't updated my Laptop yet and so just grabbed them from there.

I'm sure there's a way around this, anyone know what it is?

You could try Foxit Reader, maybe? I use it...much better than Adobe's reader, though there's a bug where it will occasionally crash if you scroll too fast with the mousewheel on image-heavy pages (I hope they fix that with the next update...).


Adobe Reader 9 is the spawn of satan.

I am having exactly the same problem, if I manage to get an image now, I get it as a cut out with a mass of black surrounding it.

When I find the credits of who ever altered this, I am going to hunt him down and rip him a new one (disclaimer, not really, I am not a violent type and am far too lazy to go hunting).

Anyone worked out a work around for this, I was using the pictures as handouts, but now I can't.


Pathfinder Adventure Path Charter Subscriber; Pathfinder Pawns Subscriber
All DMs are evil wrote:
I am having exactly the same problem, if I manage to get an image now, I get it as a cut out with a mass of black surrounding it.

I actually get this in Acrobat Reader 8 when copying images from Pathfinder products, but not from Dungeon web supplements for example. Because of this I think that Paizo is responsible for that particular issue. I think that they somewhere along the way with Pathfinder decided to use black as the transparent color. This is however a big hassle when you copy the artwork, since the background don't stay transparent, and you get this black background. You can fix it by using the fill function in for example GIMP, and playing around with the color threshold, but it still requires a bit extra work. If there's another way of fixing it I don't know about it.

Osirion RPG Superstar 2009 Top 32

evilash wrote:
All DMs are evil wrote:
I am having exactly the same problem, if I manage to get an image now, I get it as a cut out with a mass of black surrounding it.
I actually get this in Acrobat Reader 8 when copying images from Pathfinder products, but not from Dungeon web supplements for example. Because of this I think that Paizo is responsible for that particular issue. I think that they somewhere along the way with Pathfinder decided to use black as the transparent color. This is however a big hassle when you copy the artwork, since the background don't stay transparent, and you get this black background. You can get around it by using the fill function in for example Gimp, and fiddling with the color threshold, but it still requires a bit extra work.

Yeah I've always had this problem as well. Most of the time I just "fill with colour" the black with white, but alot of the time I get little patches of black around the edges I don't have the time to magnify and erase.


Pathfinder Adventure Path Charter Subscriber; Pathfinder Pawns Subscriber
flash_cxxi wrote:
Yeah I've always had this problem as well. Most of the time I just "fill with colour" the black with white, but alot of the time I get little patches of black around the edges I don't have the time to magnify and erase.

If you are using the Bucket Fill tool in GIMP you have the option to set a Threshold. By increasing or decreasing the threshold number you can control how many similar colors GIMP are replacing as well, thereby potentially reducing the number and size of the black patches. This works best with pictures with a small amount of black in the actual picture.


Yes, with Adobe Acrobat 8 I got the black background, although I am lucky to own Photoshop where I could use the magic wand to select all black and fill it with white. But funnily lately I have a different problem: I could only select pieces of the picture, so that I would have to select them seperately and put them together like a puzzle, I even have this with pictures I already selected and copied as a complete picture before.


Pathfinder Adventure Path, Roleplaying Game Subscriber

Why not just crop the image once you've grabbed it? Both Photoshop and the GIMP make this trivially easy.


I'm using Acrobat 8, so I don't know if this continues to apply to Acrobat 9. Note that all of this requires Adobe Acrobat, I'm not sure if this can be done with the free Adobe Reader.

To extract images from Pathfinder .pdfs (or any PDF where the images are set atop a background or amidst text that you don't want copied):

1. Select Tools -> Advanced Editing -> TouchUp Object Tool
2. Go to the page of the .pdf that the image you want is located on.
3. Click on the background of the page.
4. Press the 'Delete' key. The background should be gone.
4a. If the background isn't gone, keep selecting and deleting objects on the page until all you have left is your image on a blank white page.
5. Make sure the whole image you want is on your screen, and make sure that your zoom level is 100%.
6. Press the 'Print Screen' key.
7. Open Paint (or any other image editing software).
8. Press 'CTRL+V' on your keyboard. You should now see a picture of the .pdf page you were looking at pasted into your image editing program.
9. Click on the Select tool on the left toolbar.
10. Click and drag your cursor across the whole image so that the entirety of it lies within the selected area.
11. Press 'CTRL+C' on your keyboard.
12. Select File -> New
13. Press 'CTRL+V' on your keyboard. You should now have just your image, and nothing else.
14. Save your image as whatever you want. Ta-da!

I know it seems like a lot of steps, but it goes pretty quickly once you've done it a couple times.

Osirion RPG Superstar 2009 Top 32

Belfur wrote:
Yes, with Adobe Acrobat 8 I got the black background, although I am lucky to own Photoshop where I could use the magic wand to select all black and fill it with white. But funnily lately I have a different problem: I could only select pieces of the picture, so that I would have to select them seperately and put them together like a puzzle, I even have this with pictures I already selected and copied as a complete picture before.

If you try to grab the pictures from the Single .pdf then they come out as a jigsaw puzzle.

If you grab them from the individual .pdfs the you get the full image.
At least that has been my experience.

Paizo Employee Chief Technical Officer

evilash wrote:
All DMs are evil wrote:
I am having exactly the same problem, if I manage to get an image now, I get it as a cut out with a mass of black surrounding it.
I actually get this in Acrobat Reader 8 when copying images from Pathfinder products, but not from Dungeon web supplements for example. Because of this I think that Paizo is responsible for that particular issue. I think that they somewhere along the way with Pathfinder decided to use black as the transparent color.

That wasn't us. I did look into this several months ago, and I learned that when you hit "copy" in most PDF readers, the image is converted from a complex object with transparency to a rectangular image (that has no alpha channel). Some apps and OSs fill the transparent areas with black and others fill it with white. I remember finding some combination of application and OS that allowed me to drag the selected object to the desktop, and only then did I have an image with an alpha channel. (It may have been using Preview on OS X?)

I couldn't tell you why it would be different with Dungeon web supplements (perhaps those images were preflattened, already lacking transparency)?

Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Publishing / Pathfinder® / Pathfinder Campaign Setting / General Discussion / Adobe Reader 9... grrr All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.