Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
About Paizo Messageboards News Paizo Blog Help/FAQ
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

Trapfinding should be a feat


Races & Classes

101 to 104 of 104 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | next > last >>

Trapfinding should *not* be a feat. This is D&D. Each class has a rol.

If trapfinding becomes a feat only should be available for the ranger

Cheliax

I don't think trapfinding should be a Feat, but in my opinion making traps beyond simple snares should ("Craft Mechanical Traps").

RPG Superstar 2008 Top 32

Iridal wrote:
Each class has a role.

Every class should have a role. But there shouldn't be any roles that only one class can fill.

Clerics are the best healers, but many characters can heal.
Sorcerers are the best artillery, but many characters can blow things up.
Fighters are the best at melee, but many characters can fight hand to hand.

Rogues are the best at traps, but NO ONE ELSE can do it. Ever.

What's worse about rogues is that a one level dip entitles you to the whole trapfinding thing. A Brd19/Rog1 can be every bit as good of a trapfinder as a Rog20. That's a feat, not a class.


Ross Byers wrote:
Rogues are the best at traps, but NO ONE ELSE can do it. Ever.

I don’t like break the D&D roles. For this I hate 4 ed.

Ross Byers wrote:
What's worse about rogues is that a one level dip entitles you to the whole trapfinding thing. A Brd19/Rog1 can be every bit as good of a trapfinder as a Rog20. That's a feat, not a class.

This is what we have to fix. But to break the D&D roles isn’t a solution

What is the sense that the wizard can find traps? The fighter? The cleric? This isn’t their rol. If trapfinding becomes a feat only should be available for the ranger. And the rogue should be better.

Cheliax

Pathfinder Adventure Path Charter Subscriber; Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Companion, Modules, Roleplaying Game Subscriber

It really should be a feat, but similar to Stunning Fist, the pre-reqs should be pretty harsh. Perception 6 ranks and Disable Device 6 ranks, for example.

RPG Superstar 2008 Top 32

Iridal wrote:

What is the sense that the wizard can find traps? The fighter? The cleric? This isn’t their rol. If trapfinding becomes a feat only should be available for the ranger. And the rogue should be better.

The suggestion that many of us have come up with is to make trapfinding work for rogues the way tracking works for rangers in the Alpha.

Anyone with Perception can try to find a trap (the same way anyone with survival can search for and follow tracks).

Rogues get a bonus equal to half their rogue level to perception checks to find traps, as well as Disable Device checks.

That way, rogues remain the best at traps, and no simple thing like a feat can take that away from them. If another character wants to be really good at traps, they have to take lots of levels of rogue, not just one.

Osirion

I'm not entirely sure if this has been suggested, but instead of making it a feat, why not break up the trapfinding ability into several parts and spread it over the Rogue class. if a rogue takes a level of wizard, he only gets some spells, not all of them. so maybe make it like:

level, ability
1, basic trapfinding (DC20-25)
4, Advanced Trapfinding (DC>25)
7, Magic Trapfinding (able to find magic traps)

It's only a suggestion, but the way i see it, that would stop the one level dipping of the other classes since the one level wouldn't do much, and 7 is fairly expensive if you just want trapfinding. Personally, my group doesn't have a problem since one guy always wansts to play a rogue anyway.

Just my 2cp.


Ross Byers wrote:

The suggestion that many of us have come up with is to make trapfinding work for rogues the way tracking works for rangers in the Alpha.

Anyone with Perception can try to find a trap (the same way anyone with survival can search for and follow tracks).

Rogues get a bonus equal to half their rogue level to perception checks to find traps, as well as Disable Device checks.

That way, rogues remain the best at traps, and no simple thing like a feat can take that away from them. If another character wants to be really good at traps, they have to take lots of levels of rogue, not just one.

This is not a bad idea, but would have to change the DCs.

Anyway I just prefer that only the ranger and the rogue can try to find a trap. I love classic D&D. Not all classes must be able to do the same.

Sorry for my poor English.

RPG Superstar 2008 Top 32

Iridal wrote:
Sorry for my poor English.

I didn't even notice.

101 to 104 of 104 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Publishing / Older Products / Playtests & Prerelease Discussions / Pathfinder RPG Prerelease Discussion / Alpha Playtest Feedback / Alpha Release 3 / Races & Classes / Trapfinding should be a feat All Messageboards
Recent threads in Races & Classes

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.