Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
About Paizo Messageboards News Paizo Blog Help/FAQ
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

This is the discussion thread for two campaigns:

DM Heathy's Saltmarsh Discussion Thread


Play-by-Post Discussion

151 to 200 of 5,847 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>

>>>>GAME THREAD<<<<<<


I AM THE LORD OF ALL HELLFIRE!!!!!

I just wanted an adventure kickoff that didn't start in a bar. ;)

Andoran

Male Mothman Expert 5

Beldan’s a fairly likeable, easy going chap for the most part. He doesn’t mind a drink; he wouldn’t have the stamina to keep up with the dwarf, but he’s not a complete lightweight.

I don’t think he’ll have spent much, if any time in Saltmarsh – just passing through at best. Applying for a mercenary job at a military style fort isn’t his style, but at the moment he doesn’t have a real plan. If a companion, even a chance met on the road type companion, was heading there he’d probably tag along to check it out.


Mothman wrote:
So ... who feels like travelling with the rogue?

If your character drinks then we could be amigos. In the Cheers sense of the word, anyway. I'm gonna have to think pretty hard myself as to why Stig would leave the comfort of a steady but low paying job at a brewery and his favorite tavern.

Andoran

Male Mothman Expert 5
dungeonmaster heathy wrote:
I just wanted an adventure kickoff that didn't start in a bar. ;)

Yeah, it's cool - I like the setup, very evocative. And you know if you started it in a bar you probably wouldnt get half the group out of there...


Two of my posts are gone.

ED: And now magically back again.

Andoran

Male Mothman Expert 5
Kruelaid wrote:

Two of my posts are gone.

ED: And now magically back again.

I can see your game thread link one. Your first "amigos" post has been coming and going for me, I can see the one you reposted.


I deleted the first when the second took.

Paizo Employee Developer

I've been worried about having the time and don't really want to play a bard because of that. There's spells and talking the group out of situations and such that would get in my way for my first pbp experience. How does a rogue/fighter sound? It fits in my head of answering a summons for mercenaries, but I don't want to double up too much. I think it could work.


The most interesting thing about pbps is that way more talking is done between PCs and has nothing to do with social skill use. It been more fun to me to play a barbarian in a pbp than at a table, for example.

Besides we can just kill our way out of our tricky situations if we don't have a faceman.

Qadira

Male Dworc (half-dwarf/half-orc) Monk4/Barbarian2/Rogue2/Jack-of-all-Trades2/Master of None2/Quasi-diety2

Hey Vattie, want to have our PCs travel together? 'Twould be quite an intellectual walk/talk. Of course you would have to bathe in the light of an amazingly supreme human such as Riese...
On the upside I bought a donkey incase anyone wishes to transport something heavy to the fort and travel with one as great as Riese.


I AM THE LORD OF ALL HELLFIRE!!!!!
Daigle wrote:
I've been worried about having the time and don't really want to play a bard because of that. There's spells and talking the group out of situations and such that would get in my way for my first pbp experience. How does a rogue/fighter sound? It fits in my head of answering a summons for mercenaries, but I don't want to double up too much. I think it could work.

It's all good. I'll cover the cleric if nobody wants to play one.


I AM THE LORD OF ALL HELLFIRE!!!!!

(snicker)


I AM THE LORD OF ALL HELLFIRE!!!!!
Kruelaid wrote:

The most interesting thing about pbps is that way more talking is done between PCs and has nothing to do with social skill use. It been more fun to me to play a barbarian in a pbp than at a table, for example.

Besides we can just kill our way out of our tricky situations if we don't have a faceman.

I agree wholeheartedly.


male human lvl 6 +1la human; 5lvl rogue xp 15,00--21,000 next levelup

Me too.

Shadow Lodge

Male Human Expert 5
Fake Healer wrote:

Hey Vattie, want to have our PCs travel together? 'Twould be quite an intellectual walk/talk. Of course you would have to bathe in the light of an amazingly supreme human such as Riese...

On the upside I bought a donkey incase anyone wishes to transport something heavy to the fort and travel with one as great as Riese.

Sounds good (or not... Ugh.). I'll write up my background once I get to the office.


Male Human Wizard 17 (Conjuration specialist)

Just updated my background. Time to check out that in-game thread...

Oooh - "torporous batrachian idol". Me like.


I AM THE LORD OF ALL HELLFIRE!!!!!

(lol) That the "library" and/or "used book store" in Saltmarsh are really fronts for the Temple of Boccob--worst kept secret in Saltmarsh.

Qadira

Male Dworc (half-dwarf/half-orc) Monk4/Barbarian2/Rogue2/Jack-of-all-Trades2/Master of None2/Quasi-diety2
dungeonmaster heathy wrote:
(lol) That the "library" and/or "used book store" in Saltmarsh are really fronts for the Temple of Boccob--worst kept secret in Saltmarsh.

Are there any spoilers in the DMG2 version of Saltmarsh? I was thinking of reading up on it to get a better feel for the town, but I won't if it ruins too much stuff.


I AM THE LORD OF ALL HELLFIRE!!!!!

Yes and no...there are, but I'll alter them.

For instance, in the DMGII, the Temple of Boccob is this extravagant affair with giant glass orbs on top lit with eldritch lights.
In my Saltmarsh, it's a "library." I see Boccob's people as sneakier than all that, secretive cabbalists.
The Keoland background material I'm using imagines Keoland as leaning toward being a more areligious entity, so churches aren't necessarily these grand Notre Dame-type affairs.

The Dancing Dryad is there, but whether or not it is the front for the Thieve's Guild is up in the air.

There's no "Lizard Man Embassy."

The orphanage is a front for Grazz't worship; I say "meh" to that.

I decided that if I was going to use the DMG II's Saltmarsh, I'd have to do without some of the spoilers, so it could be used by the players as background material.

I'm thinking I need to go over it thoroughly and announce material changes, but I could just let them out as we go. I'd rather the material was available to you guys to run with. I see that Kruelaid went with the Lizard bar in his character background, for instance. That tells me he likes that; I can incorporate it into story lines.

The way I run things is somewhat like what Theacemu used to talk about, I just think that from what I understood from his opining, there has to be more give-and-take. The players have to riff off of the dungeonmaster as much as he riffs off of them.

Qadira

Male Dworc (half-dwarf/half-orc) Monk4/Barbarian2/Rogue2/Jack-of-all-Trades2/Master of None2/Quasi-diety2

Cool, I will read it for flavor, not substance.

FIRST POST OF THE GAME THREAD IS POSTED......and arrogant....


I AM THE LORD OF ALL HELLFIRE!!!!!

Here's a thought--post your favorite npc from there and why, once you read it over.

Andoran

Male Mothman Expert 5

Oh, I like Riese, paragon of human virtues that he is!

Daigle, if you’re going fighter/thief, want to be partners in crime?

Andoran

Male Mothman Expert 5

Heath, this looks fun by the way. Just need a bit more time to put the finishing touches to my guy, and score a wingman.


Ok Heathy I thought of a way to get my drunken character to the fort, BUT as a test of your DMing skills you've got to find a way to keep him there. My first post is forthcoming. By the way, what is more common in these parts, goblins or kobolds?


I AM THE LORD OF ALL HELLFIRE!!!!!

Goblins, probably.


Male Human 17thFighter

With the Hool Marshes and The Forest of Dread I bet there be alot of local legend myths ala Swampthing/Bigfoot...BATBOY!


I'm ready. When I do this it should just be Stig and the guards at the gate until the matter is resolved.


I AM THE LORD OF ALL HELLFIRE!!!!!

Batboy!!! I feel like I watched him grow up. (lol)


I AM THE LORD OF ALL HELLFIRE!!!!!
Mothman wrote:
Heath, this looks fun by the way. Just need a bit more time to put the finishing touches to my guy, and score a wingman.

Right on. Just any time you guys feel like having your character walk up to the action, feel free. It's kinda freeform for a while until everybody's on board.


I'm just gonna wait a but and make sure FH is all done, because my storyline for coming to the fort requires Stig taking the road alone. When the coast is clear I'll just chime in with "the next day" and get it rolling, does that meet with your approval?


I AM THE LORD OF ALL HELLFIRE!!!!!

I.....honestly don't know.


I AM THE LORD OF ALL HELLFIRE!!!!!

Better just do it while everyone's there I guess...


So Stig was delivering a shipment of Blue Frog Ale to the fort when he got ambushed by goblins.


I AM THE LORD OF ALL HELLFIRE!!!!!

(LOL)!!!


I AM THE LORD OF ALL HELLFIRE!!!!!
Kruelaid wrote:
Ok Heathy I thought of a way to get my drunken character to the fort, BUT as a test of your DMing skills you've got to find a way to keep him there. My first post is forthcoming. By the way, what is more common in these parts, goblins or kobolds?

OMFG--I haven't had a player make me sweat like that in a long time.

I'm not being sarcastic, either!!!


Drunken dwarves with Scottish accents are kind of a cliche, and he's not much on a character sheet so I had to work extra hard to flesh him out.

Andoran

Male Mothman Expert 5

Ah guys, that was awesome.

So is the patrol riding out?


I AM THE LORD OF ALL HELLFIRE!!!!!

I'm waitin' on Kruely; see what he does next. ;)


I'm thinking the patrol should just ride out and Stig should lay there until the next guy comes along. He's kind of messed up drunk and killing the goblin and blustering at the rest til they ran away really took it out of him.


I AM THE LORD OF ALL HELLFIRE!!!!!

Wastri damn it!!!
Your last post disappeared for an hour!!!
Woe betide me, we was rollin!


I've gotta step out so leave the dwarf in the muck (seems like the dice want it that way). You can go do Beldan's intro. It seems he's come across a wagonload of ale in a trashed wagon.

BTW, I hope you can see the post with my ride roll.


I AM THE LORD OF ALL HELLFIRE!!!!!

Got it, dude.


I AM THE LORD OF ALL HELLFIRE!!!!!

Again, anybody wanna throw their character into the mix, read the game thread a little and come walking up to the cart and just start blabbin' away.
I'll be around a little tomorrow, maybe answer a question or two, but it's me birthday, so I'll be busy much of the time.

HUZZAH!!!


Right on, happy birthday!

Andoran

Male Mothman Expert 5

Wow. Fastest pbp combat ever. Cool!

Qadira

dungeonmaster heathy wrote:
Daigle wrote:
I've been worried about having the time and don't really want to play a bard because of that. There's spells and talking the group out of situations and such that would get in my way for my first pbp experience. How does a rogue/fighter sound? It fits in my head of answering a summons for mercenaries, but I don't want to double up too much. I think it could work.
It's all good. I'll cover the cleric if nobody wants to play one.

From one of the lurkers overhead.

Consider me able and willing to be a cleric (I have two in other games and love em).

However I know that you have a big crew and alternates lined up the wazoo so perhaps I should say, can I add my name to the alternates.

Cheers


I AM THE LORD OF ALL HELLFIRE!!!!!

gotcha down as an alt, French Wolf!

Qadira

Ta


Male Workaholic, level 10

Just wanted to throw in that I apologize for the delay, but I'm getting the character together.

Will definetly be going cleric at this point - leaning towards Pelor or St. Cuthbert. Probably Pelor - I'm thinking a Cuthbertine may be too uptight for our merry band of misfits - unless Heathy's pretty flexible. Also, I think there's Pelorian church in Saltmarsh (don't recall now if it was specific or generic) - so maybe a bonus.

Working on specs and background. May have a few questions for Heathy on specs that I'd like to consider, but he'll probably be straight line to the d20SRD for the most part.

More to come. Happy Birthday, Heathy.

151 to 200 of 5,847 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post Discussion / DM Heathy's Saltmarsh Discussion Thread All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.