Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
About Paizo Messageboards News Paizo Blog Help/FAQ
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

PaizoCon 2014!

Favorite Beer?


Off-Topic Discussions

151 to 200 of 1,062 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>

Pathfinder Adventure Path Charter Subscriber; Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Companion, Modules Subscriber

I think there's a moment when your taste buds wake up to the potential in any drink, whether its beer, scotch, or even (sigh) wine. Regardless, the appreciation for subtleties in your drink of choice is incomplete until you've gotten to that point. At one time, the only way I could distinguish between scotches was by how much reflux they caused me. Recently, I proudly showed my wife a scotch I was trying, telling her how I could distinguish seaweed among the flavors. My wife looked at it and said, "You told me last week you didn't like that one, that it was horrible". And I excitedly replied "Yes, but now I can taste seaweed in it!!"

Osirion

Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

I don't mind some of the American standards like MGD, maybe a bud, but only on occasion.

The only one I won't touch at all is Coors - I'd say pour it down the drain, but then you'd be insulting the drain. Any product that has to resort to "oooh look, the mountains turn blue" to sell itself is definite crap!


Of the American majors, I have tasted Corona and Budweiser (maybe others, I might have forgotten).
They are a bit "what's the point?" beers, I can drink them and they might go well together with food but if I feel like drinking a beer I would appreciate it to have bit more taste and kick (I am not a big fan of pilsner beers anyway).


Let me see...there are just so many. Typical Canadian beers that I like are:
Keiths
Alpine
Moosehead
In that order by the way.
Favoutie foreign beers would have to be ...
Guiness (Which is defninetly better from the factory in Dublin than from anywhere else.)
Tsing Tao (sp? pronounced Ching Dao) This is a nice little CHinese beer with a light flavour, it was started by the Germans when they occupied a city with the similar name in the early 1900s, then it was kept up by the Japanese during the world wars and now the CHinese still make it today. Such a nice beer :) to bad I can't get it anywhere in the Maritimes. :(

Qadira

Pathfinder Comics Subscriber; Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Maps, Modules, Roleplaying Game, Tales Subscriber
Lilith wrote:
Mairkurion {tm} wrote:
What about different hops? Different roasts?

Roasts have little to do with the bitterness of the beer itself, that's pretty much all the hop's fault. :P Now, you CAN use different hops with different BUs (bitterness units) and go for a lower BU hop and that is quite nice indeed, but that does go into the realm of homebrewing rather than commercially available beers. Changing which hops you use does lend a different flavor to the beer you're making, but if you want to make a less bitter beer, then that's the trade off.

The style of beer is also important - if you don't like bitter beer, stay the hell away from IPAs. :)

Now, if we are talking hops then my current favourite is Summer Lightning.

[Edit:] Just read the comments on the linked page and have to agree that this is either smashing or dire on draught, never in-between.


Guinness
Imperial Stout
Smithwick
Bellevue Kriek
Chimay
Samuel Adams Boston Lager

Osirion

I can't believe my favourite beer was not mentioned-even if others from the same brewery were: Maudite from Unibroue. That's some damn fine beer. I also like Bass, Keiths, Sam Adams Lager and even a Molson Canadian once in a while too.

I've created sort of a following in my area of Massachusetts for Maudite; I introduced it to my step-son and he introduced it to a bunch of college age kids. The result is that it's a whole lot easier to find this beer north of Boston.

*sigh* can't wait to get home and have a brew now.


Speech wrote:
I can't believe my favourite beer was not mentioned-even if others from the same brewery were: Maudite from Unibroue. That's some damn fine beer.

Maudite is phenomenal beer, as is Fin du Monde... and my personal favorite of the group, Trois Pistoles.

Silver Crusade

Cascade Vintage
Coopers Green
Green Star Killagh
Guinness
Kilkenny
Little Creatures Pale Ale
Stella Artois


Scott Williams 16 wrote:
After reading this thread, I, as a Bud man, am not feeling the love. Be there not any lovers of my great products? any one? Any where?

/casting thread resurrection...

I am the only person with the Dundee Brewing Company flag? I mean, I'm a mid westerner holding a standard for Yankee types!

Honey Brown isn't a staple of the American diet, but its a staple of my refrigerator! Other than HB, almost any porter will do.


My favorite beer a free one.
I'll drink just about anything except red wolf. That stuffs just vile.

Qadira

Blech...beer is just wrong.


Great Lakes Christmas Ale

Rogue Dead Guy Ale

Guinness


Here in PA, we drink Yuengling. Alot.

Osirion

My favorite these days is a Flemish ale called "Duchesse de Bourgogne" (http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/641/1745). It's unlike anything else I've had before, complex, slightly fruity/floral (but it's not a lambic), with a touch of the sourness often found in beers from that region but all the flavors are so well balanced that the end result is something truly remarkable. It's a bit strange at first but it grows on you very quickly, so don't judge it by the first sip--finish the bottle before making up your mind.

Unfortunately, the Duchesse costs about $11 for a 750 ml bottle, so I don't indulge in it very often. For everyday consumption I've been favoring IPAs lately. Goose Island IPA is my current default selection, but there are a lot of good ones around these days. Bell's Hopslam is really amazing, but it's only available for a few weeks each winter and it's pretty pricey at around $18 a six-pack.


Chubbs McGee wrote:

Cascade Vintage

Coopers Green
Green Star Killagh
Guinness
Kilkenny
Little Creatures Pale Ale
Stella Artois

This plus any of the James Squires beers.


My personal favorite is Spaten Optimator. It is amazing.

There is also one a friend of mine fed me (intentional verb use) called Skullsplitter. It was...pretty good. But dense. Consume only in small doses. Or many for extra fun.

For my day-to-day, though, I like Guinness.

Grand Lodge

Aberzombie wrote:

A subject near and dear to my heart.

Mine is Abita Amber, a Louisiana brewed beer. Happily, I found a place about 2 mintues from my home here in Philly that sells it.

My personal favorite is Kilt Tilter, followed closely by Wailing Wench, Dragonslayer and the 10th Anniversary Ale. All from the Middle Ages Brewery right here in Syracuse New York. Of course, the fact that the Blue Tusk normally has a fresh cask or two straight from the brewery probably helps my addiction ... er ... enjoyment.

http://www.middleagesbrewing.com/

I've been trying to get my hands on anything from the Deschutes Brewery, especially the Black Butte Porter, but they don't distribute in New York.

Qadira

Pathfinder Adventure Path Charter Subscriber; Pathfinder Comics Subscriber; Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Cards, Companion, Maps, Modules, Roleplaying Game, Tales Subscriber

I'm not much of a beer drinker, I prefer stronger drink. But I have recently had more than a few Shiner brews.


Crimson Jester wrote:
Blech...beer is just wrong.

puts CJ on THE LIST

Andoran

Fatespinner wrote:
Aaron Whitley wrote:
That's o.k., everyone is allowed at least one cheap beer. Mine is the Champagne of Beers, Miller High Life, and Pabst Blue Ribbon.
We're allowed one cheap beer, but what if we choose not to take one? Honestly, I really can't stand any beer I can see through.

This. Quoted for truth my friend. My friend's father-in-law holds to this strictly. If he can count the number of fingers he's holding up on the other side of the glass, it's a no go.

I'm quite fond of:
Rogue Dead Guy
Woodchuck Cider (made in Vermont, gotta love it :D )
Unibroue Trois Pistoles


I love almost any dark beer, I've only ever had one that I didn't and i still finished the bottle.
I also love Belgium beers.
A good mead, I currently drink mostly redstone meads.

Note: I list only types, I almost never by a specific named beer more than twice.


Daeglin wrote:
I think there's a moment when your taste buds wake up to the potential in any drink, whether its beer, scotch, or even (sigh) wine. Regardless, the appreciation for subtleties in your drink of choice is incomplete until you've gotten to that point. At one time, the only way I could distinguish between scotches was by how much reflux they caused me. Recently, I proudly showed my wife a scotch I was trying, telling her how I could distinguish seaweed among the flavors. My wife looked at it and said, "You told me last week you didn't like that one, that it was horrible". And I excitedly replied "Yes, but now I can taste seaweed in it!!"

I understand this concept very well, that's how beer and pipe tobacco work for me. +1


Aberrant Templar wrote:
Aberzombie wrote:

A subject near and dear to my heart.

Mine is Abita Amber, a Louisiana brewed beer. Happily, I found a place about 2 mintues from my home here in Philly that sells it.

My personal favorite is Kilt Tilter, followed closely by Wailing Wench, Dragonslayer and the 10th Anniversary Ale. All from the Middle Ages Brewery right here in Syracuse New York. Of course, the fact that the Blue Tusk normally has a fresh cask or two straight from the brewery probably helps my addiction ... er ... enjoyment.

http://www.middleagesbrewing.com/

I've been trying to get my hands on anything from the Deschutes Brewery, especially the Black Butte Porter, but they don't distribute in New York.

The Black Butte Porter is one of my favorites, especially from the tap. Sorry, here in Colorado we have lots of places to serve us this.


Seldriss wrote:
Samuel Adams Boston Lager (the only american beer i support)

That's too bad, America has a wonderful history of making great beers, before prohibition we rivaled Germany. Even today we are working back towards it, you should come to the Great American Beer festival in Colorado, it's beautiful.


Aberzombie wrote:
Not sure what I'll brew next - a mead is on the horizon, as soon as I find some decent honey.

there are a lot of online options for buying honey, i'll see if i can get you a good link.


Eric The Pipe wrote:
Seldriss wrote:
Samuel Adams Boston Lager (the only american beer i support)
That's too bad, America has a wonderful history of making great beers, before prohibition we rivaled Germany. Even today we are working back towards it, you should come to the Great American Beer festival in Colorado, it's beautiful.

Eric, do you have a Old Chicago Pasta and Pizza joint in your neighborhood? This set of restaurants has over 110 bottle beer varieties, over twenty on tap, and offers plaques for those that sample all the way through the menu! Keep in mind that if you do the 110 x 7 you get a beer mug that is always full during happy hour and no additional cost!


Karlsberg Ur-Pils, of course. Patriotism wouldn't allow anything else ;-)

Though I'm also partial to a decent wheat, or sometimes black beer mixed with mead (though you have to be cautious with that mix, for it kicks like a mule)

JPSTOD wrote:


Pilsner Urquel

I never drank it, but I do have a Pilsner poster.

"No lemon
No cranberry
No b+*&%$+#!"


La Fin Du Monde, for what you can find in bottles that the QFC.

I am a huge fan of bourbon-casked porters, wherever they might be found (since such places are usually purveyors of great beer). I acquired this taste at the Cambridge Brewing Co in Cambridge, MA. There they made it in Blanton's barrels and it was called "The Colonel's Porter". Alas, I presume there is none of this batch left in existence. *single tear*

Andoran

Evil Lincoln wrote:
I am a huge fan of bourbon-casked porters, wherever they might be found (since such places are usually purveyors of great beer). I acquired this taste at the Cambridge Brewing Co in Cambridge, MA. There they made it in Blanton's barrels and it was called "The Colonel's Porter". Alas, I presume there is none of this batch left in existence. *single tear*

Sounds awesome.

Qadira

BrewMaster Aberzombie wrote:
Crimson Jester wrote:
Blech...beer is just wrong.
puts CJ on THE LIST

there is a list??


Crimson Jester wrote:
BrewMaster Aberzombie wrote:
Crimson Jester wrote:
Blech...beer is just wrong.
puts CJ on THE LIST
there is a list??

Oh yes.....

Qadira

BrewMaster Aberzombie wrote:
Crimson Jester wrote:
BrewMaster Aberzombie wrote:
Crimson Jester wrote:
Blech...beer is just wrong.
puts CJ on THE LIST
there is a list??
Oh yes.....

O boy, is it the good list like Santa has?

Andoran

Crimson Jester wrote:
O boy, is it the good list like Santa has?

Well, kind of. There's the distinct possibility of someone coming into your house while you're sleeping, but I can't promise that he'll be fat and jolly.

Andoran

Anything that I make is my favorite beer.

If I'm drinking non-homebrew stuff, I like most of Sierra Nevada's line.

As for favorite type of beer, I prefer hoppy styles (IPA) or stouts. I used to be a huge Guinness drinker, but the other night I had one and was very disappointed. I've been putting off my chocolate stout I brewed for awhile now, but I'm very anxious to taste it so I might have to do that this weekend.


Xpltvdeleted wrote:

Anything that I make is my favorite beer.

If I'm drinking non-homebrew stuff, I like most of Sierra Nevada's line.

As for favorite type of beer, I prefer hoppy styles (IPA) or stouts. I used to be a huge Guinness drinker, but the other night I had one and was very disappointed. I've been putting off my chocolate stout I brewed for awhile now, but I'm very anxious to taste it so I might have to do that this weekend.

Guinness is a highly variable experience in draught (and less tasty canned or bottled). You should really only bother in places where you are reasonably assurred that they switch out the kegs with some frequency. This is why it is so damn good in irish pubs, they go through them FAST. In some american bars where they might only have guiness as a token non-yellow beer, the kegs can sit around for much too long and are less rich and creamy.

So... don't give up entirely, but surely, it sounds like you're a man with other beers on his agenda.

Andoran

Evil Lincoln wrote:
Xpltvdeleted wrote:

Anything that I make is my favorite beer.

If I'm drinking non-homebrew stuff, I like most of Sierra Nevada's line.

As for favorite type of beer, I prefer hoppy styles (IPA) or stouts. I used to be a huge Guinness drinker, but the other night I had one and was very disappointed. I've been putting off my chocolate stout I brewed for awhile now, but I'm very anxious to taste it so I might have to do that this weekend.

Guinness is a highly variable experience in draught (and less tasty canned or bottled). You should really only bother in places where you are reasonably assurred that they switch out the kegs with some frequency. This is why it is so damn good in irish pubs, they go through them FAST. In some american bars where they might only have guiness as a token non-yellow beer, the kegs can sit around for much too long and are less rich and creamy.

So... don't give up entirely, but surely, it sounds like you're a man with other beers on his agenda.

That was probably the problem, but I'm also leaning toward the fact that my pallet has refined somewhat since I started homebrewing (especially since I started all-grain). Maybe I'll give it a shot the next time I'm at a pub.

Qadira

Jagyr Ebonwood wrote:
Crimson Jester wrote:
O boy, is it the good list like Santa has?
Well, kind of. There's the distinct possibility of someone coming into your house while you're sleeping, but I can't promise that he'll be fat and jolly.

Damn.

Osirion

Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber
Crimson Jester wrote:
Jagyr Ebonwood wrote:
Crimson Jester wrote:
O boy, is it the good list like Santa has?
Well, kind of. There's the distinct possibility of someone coming into your house while you're sleeping, but I can't promise that he'll be fat and jolly.
Damn.

He'll probably have a funnel and a variety six-pack.

Qadira

Aberzombie wrote:
Crimson Jester wrote:
Jagyr Ebonwood wrote:
Crimson Jester wrote:
O boy, is it the good list like Santa has?
Well, kind of. There's the distinct possibility of someone coming into your house while you're sleeping, but I can't promise that he'll be fat and jolly.
Damn.
He'll probably have a funnel and a variety six-pack.

That and a Cajun 7 course meal.

Osirion

Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

Another beer I've grown fond of: Dogfish Head Theobroma.

Grand Lodge

Pathfinder Adventure Path Charter Subscriber; Pathfinder Cards, Maps, Pawns Subscriber

Fursty Ferret!

Cheliax

I still cannot find a beer I like. I just hate the taste. However as of late I have been enamored with Dalwhinnie scotch, I have a 15 year old vintage next too my 18 year old Glenlivet. Sure I'll drink beer but I love my scotch.

Osirion

Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber
Jeremy Mcgillan wrote:
I still cannot find a beer I like. I just hate the taste. However as of late I have been enamored with Dalwhinnie scotch, I have a 15 year old vintage next too my 18 year old Glenlivet. Sure I'll drink beer but I love my scotch.

Don't worry Jeremy. We forgive you for not liking beer, and are determined to help you overcome this crippling problem.

As for scotch - good stuff. Just this weekend, at my friend's 40th birthday party, we gave him a bottle of 21 year old single malt. Sadly, I cannot remember the name, but he did crack it open and give us a taste. Very nice!

Andoran

I like the types of brews that make beer smobs turn their noses up, such as Corona and Yeungling.

I like light, non-bitter beers.

If it absorbs more light than a black hole, or requires a fork, I'm not gonna drink it.


Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber

My favorite beer is New Glarus Apple Ale. My favorite scotch is 18 year old MacCallan Sherry Oak.

Osirion

Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber
Cuchulainn wrote:

I like the types of brews that make beer smobs turn their noses up, such as Corona and Yeungling.

I like light, non-bitter beers.

If it absorbs more light than a black hole, or requires a fork, I'm not gonna drink it.

I don't mind Corona or Yuengling, but they aren't my beers of choice. But I do like dark beers. Stouts are some of my favorites.


Steven Tindall wrote:

My favorite beer a free one.

I'll drink just about anything except red wolf. That stuffs just vile.

Red Wolf has been off the market for many years up here, but it was one of the only beers everyone could agree on in our gaming group at the time.

Do they still sell it in your area?

Cheliax

Aberzombie wrote:
Jeremy Mcgillan wrote:
I still cannot find a beer I like. I just hate the taste. However as of late I have been enamored with Dalwhinnie scotch, I have a 15 year old vintage next too my 18 year old Glenlivet. Sure I'll drink beer but I love my scotch.

Don't worry Jeremy. We forgive you for not liking beer, and are determined to help you overcome this crippling problem.

As for scotch - good stuff. Just this weekend, at my friend's 40th birthday party, we gave him a bottle of 21 year old single malt. Sadly, I cannot remember the name, but he did crack it open and give us a taste. Very nice!

At least I try every new beer offered my way. But I still haven't found one I like.


There was this AMAZING BEER that I had at my friend's house just before a game of Pathfinder one day that was absolutely delicious. He wasn't sure of the name of it and I can't remember either. I have to go to the Whole Foods he got it at and start looking around.

151 to 200 of 1,062 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Off-Topic Discussions / Favorite Beer? All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.