Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
About Paizo Messageboards News Paizo Blog Help/FAQ
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

Favorite Beer?


Off-Topic Discussions

101 to 150 of 1,199 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>

Pathfinder Tales Subscriber
Aberzombie wrote:

Sweet! My beer thread lives.

snip

Good beers never die...their yeasts just go into hibernation.

Good luck with your brewing. What will be your first batch? Aberzombie Ale? Grave Stout? Vargouillish Lambic?


Guinness, before and above any other.

Then :
Imperial Stout (dark)
Adelscott (amber)
Chimay (amber)
Hoegaarden (white, with a slice of lemon)
Becase Kriek (belgium ale with cherries)
Samuel Adams Boston Lager (the only american beer i support)

Qadira

Schlitz Red Bull and Heineken are the only two I even get a buzz from, so I would have to say those are my favorites.

Osirion

Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber
Mairkurion {tm} wrote:
What will be your first batch? Aberzombie Ale? Grave Stout? Vargouillish Lambic?

My first batch will be something simple right out of an ingredients kit (I don't remember what it is at the moment). Once I become more proficient, I'll start to experiment, but I like your name suggestions.


More homebrewers are never a bad thing. My list from earlier in the thread still stands, but BBC (aka Bend Brewing Company) has a Tattered Tartan Scotch Ale that was pretty damn tasty with my dinner the other night.

Osirion

GUINNESS!!!

mostly since that and Rickard's Red are the only two I can stomach. not much of a beer drinker. i'm not sure what it is, but the bitterness is just too much for pretty much everything else, and even for these two i basically need to drink fast so i don't taste it.

Gimme Bailey's on Ice or Tequila shots before beer anytime.

Andoran

Paizo Charter Superscriber; Pathfinder Battles Case Subscriber; Pathfinder Deluxe Comics Subscriber

Kilkenny
Bitburger

though right now I am drinking Spaten Oktoberfest


Pathfinder Tales Subscriber
Dragnmoon wrote:

Kilkenny

Bitburger

though right now I am drinking Spaten Oktoberfest

What time zone are you in?

; )

Andoran

Paizo Charter Superscriber; Pathfinder Battles Case Subscriber; Pathfinder Deluxe Comics Subscriber
Mairkurion {tm} wrote:
Dragnmoon wrote:

Kilkenny

Bitburger

though right now I am drinking Spaten Oktoberfest

What time zone are you in?

; )

GMT +1


Pathfinder Tales Subscriber
Dragnmoon wrote:
Mairkurion {tm} wrote:
Dragnmoon wrote:

Kilkenny

Bitburger

though right now I am drinking Spaten Oktoberfest

What time zone are you in?

; )
GMT +1

Oh well, that's less exciting...

Andoran

Dragnmoon wrote:

Kilkenny

Bitburger

though right now I am drinking Spaten Oktoberfest

Waht? Why don't you drink wine if you're going to buy all that fern bar crap?

PABST BLUE RIBBON!!!

Andoran

Paizo Charter Superscriber; Pathfinder Battles Case Subscriber; Pathfinder Deluxe Comics Subscriber
Mairkurion {tm} wrote:
Dragnmoon wrote:
Mairkurion {tm} wrote:
Dragnmoon wrote:

Kilkenny

Bitburger

though right now I am drinking Spaten Oktoberfest

What time zone are you in?

; )
GMT +1
Oh well, that's less exciting...

I don't know..I find Germany Exciting


Pathfinder Tales Subscriber
Heathansson wrote:
Dragnmoon wrote:

Kilkenny

Bitburger

though right now I am drinking Spaten Oktoberfest

Waht? Why don't you drink wine if you're going to buy all that fern bar crap?

PABST BLUE RIBBON!!!

Enough to make me involuntarily stand-in for Vomit Guy


Pathfinder Tales Subscriber
Dragnmoon wrote:
Mairkurion {tm} wrote:
Dragnmoon wrote:
Mairkurion {tm} wrote:
Dragnmoon wrote:

Kilkenny

Bitburger

though right now I am drinking Spaten Oktoberfest

What time zone are you in?

; )
GMT +1
Oh well, that's less exciting...
I don't know..I find Germany Exciting

Sure, but it would be more exciting if you were drinking it for breakfast in Germany...


Mairkurion {tm} wrote:
Dragnmoon wrote:
Bitburger though right now I am drinking Spaten Oktoberfest
Sure, but it would be more exciting if you were drinking it for breakfast in Germany...

It's been a while but... I seem to recall Weissbier was for breakfast. Along with head cheese and blood sausage. Start the day off right. Muessli is for sissies!


Pathfinder Tales Subscriber
Kirth Gersen wrote:
Mairkurion {tm} wrote:
Dragnmoon wrote:
Bitburger though right now I am drinking Spaten Oktoberfest
Sure, but it would be more exciting if you were drinking it for breakfast in Germany...
It's been a while but... I seem to recall Weissbier was for breakfast. Along with head cheese and blood sausage. Start the day off right. Muessli is for sissies!

Protein washed down by liquid fiber...and I'm guessing the weissbier is to wash the taste out of your mouth? Still, I can't complain about lack of excitment!

Osirion

Pathfinder Adventure Path Charter Subscriber

paulanner oktoberfest is my current favorite.

good stuff.


Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

My all time favorite is Sam Adam's White Ale, though it's only available seasonally.

Otherwise I'm drinking Smithwicks. Or, if I'm living the short dollar I go Pabst Blue Ribbon... It won first place!!

Andoran

Aberzombie wrote:

Sweet! My beer thread lives.

Since I started this, I've come to expand my list of favorites:

Young's Double Chocolate Stout, Hobgoblin and Scarecrow from Wychwood, Sam Smith's IPA, and Stoudt's Fat Dog.

I've also started drinking more of the Abita beers. The store I go to sells a "Party Pack" that has 6 different beers (2 each): Amber, Turbo Dog, Purple Haze, and an IPA are the standards. The vary the remainders, among Abita Golden, Abita Light, and their seasonal beers. My favorite's of their seasonal's have been a Red Ale, A Wheat Beer, and Abita's Restoration Pale Ale.

I finally purchased by brew kit recently, and I'm looking forward to brewing my first batch.

Man! I can't believe I forgot to add Young's Double Chocolate Stout! Probably my favorite of all time.

Hmmm.... Abita beer? You from around New Orleans? (Saints fan here.)

Good luck with your brewing.


kessukoofah wrote:

GUINNESS!!!

mostly since that and Rickard's Red are the only two I can stomach. not much of a beer drinker. i'm not sure what it is, but the bitterness is just too much for pretty much everything else, and even for these two i basically need to drink fast so i don't taste it.

Gimme Bailey's on Ice or Tequila shots before beer anytime.

Would you explore a bit, I am sure you would find some beers which appeal to you. I prefer softer Kilkenny over Guinness, and also several Weissbiers appeal to people who don't drink much beer (not to mention offbeat Belgians like Hoegaarden or various krieks (cherry beer).

Osirion

Pretty much any white beer from the Netherlands or Belgium. :)
(Lucky the pub where my boardgames club is stock Hoegaarden!)

Cheers! :D

Andoran

Pathfinder Adventure Path Charter Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Tales Subscriber

1-Magic Hat #9
2-Stella Artois
3-Bitberger

Nuff Said...


Mairkurion {tm} wrote:
Enough to make me involuntarily stand-in for Vomit Guy

You called? Blaaaaaarrrrph!

Osirion

magdalena thiriet wrote:
kessukoofah wrote:

GUINNESS!!!

mostly since that and Rickard's Red are the only two I can stomach. not much of a beer drinker. i'm not sure what it is, but the bitterness is just too much for pretty much everything else, and even for these two i basically need to drink fast so i don't taste it.

Gimme Bailey's on Ice or Tequila shots before beer anytime.

Would you explore a bit, I am sure you would find some beers which appeal to you. I prefer softer Kilkenny over Guinness, and also several Weissbiers appeal to people who don't drink much beer (not to mention offbeat Belgians like Hoegaarden or various krieks (cherry beer).

Trust me when I say I've explored. I've tried beer in every hue, flavour and variety. There's a fruity (literally made with fruits) beer brewed in Calgary that supposedly doesn't even taste like beer and I couldn't take more then a sip. light, dark, ale, lager, whatever. I've tried most varieties coming out of Molson and Labatte, imports, exports, appetizer beers, dessert beers, chocolate beers (ya, that one was wierd). in fact, the only reason I tried so hard is because it's hard being the only college kid i know who doesn't drink beer. upsetting. And I get left out of the parties. these guys have it down to a science how many cases to get and of what, but noone can remember a damn 2 liter of coke. I eventually found out I can tolerate Guinness and Rickard's Red so long as I drink them fast. I can't even do that with any of the others.

Cheliax

Pathfinder Adventure Path Charter Subscriber; Pathfinder Comics Subscriber; Pathfinder Tales Subscriber

My favorite beers are:

Rolling Rock

Pabst Blue Ribboon (which shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone reading the Untitled thread).

I've tried the more expensive imports, but keep coming back to these beers.


Larry Lichman wrote:
Rolling Rock

Ah, Latrobe brewing. I have to admit that I have a soft spot for that one -- especially if I'm in PA and Yeungling Porter isn't available.

Taldor

Ah, I miss Yeungling, they don't sell it around here.

Cheliax Contributor

Either Shiner Bach (sp?), Asahi Select (cause I'm fancy... and select), or Spaten Optimator cause it's purple... and deadly.

Now, if you are ever in Praug, and want some frikkin' transcendence bubbling in your mouth and flowing down your gullet in a veritable stream of joy and rapture the likes of which are not seen outside the gate of paradise itself to rest in your belly like a tiny tatsy Budda, I would try Krusovice (pronounced Crue - sha - vix). It's good.

Taldor

Moosehead, baby! (Both the beer and the hockey team)

Qadira

I've never had a taste for any beer that I have ever had. Is it just that I have not had enough of the right stuff?


Crimson Jester wrote:
I've never had a taste for any beer that I have ever had. Is it just that I have not had enough of the right stuff?

Probably. Either that or a flaw in your upbringing! :)

Try anything that's not yellow -- and remember that you're trying to appreciate the bitterness, not think of it like Coke or ice cream. Different tastes all have their place: salty is for appetizers, spicy is for meals, sweet is for dessert. Bitter is for beer.


Pathfinder Tales Subscriber

There are, of course, people who have no taste for beer, its just hard for us beer lovers (and snobs) to understand and accept. I had a friend trying to convince me (not real hard, but he tried a little) that the right single malt would open my taste buds to the world of whisky, and so far, no epiphany. But I have also seen people whose dislike of beer was actually a dislike of American-style pilsners (which in my case, amounts to utter disdain.) I guess I would suggest trying white Belgian ales or nut brown British ales (and maybe pale ales, but not everybody is big on hops) from above, before diving into the deep end of Belgian ales...that liquid paradise...and even before working up to schwartz biers, stouts, or porters. But an individual's tastes are mysterious--and they can also be developed. My two coppers.

Well, maybe one more thought: Sam Adams offers samplers (Sams, Costco) at different times of the year that will contain several different kinds of beers at once, if you want a variety to sample.

Osirion

Root

I saw both my dad and my step-dad as beer-holics and never allowed myself to "acquire the taste"...as alcoholism runs in the family...


Some people I've found are also "hop sensitive" - the bitterness coming from the hops so overwhelms their tastebuds, even from lightly hopped beer, that they can't stand the taste.

I recommend mead as a replacement. :P


Pathfinder Tales Subscriber

What about different hops? Different roasts?

Edit: @ Xaaon - certainly understandable.

Osirion

Lilith wrote:

Some people I've found are also "hop sensitive" - the bitterness coming from the hops so overwhelms their tastebuds, even from lightly hopped beer, that they can't stand the taste.

I recommend mead as a replacement. :P

hmm...havn't tried that yet...i mayhaps will have to find some.


Mairkurion {tm} wrote:
What about different hops? Different roasts?

Roasts have little to do with the bitterness of the beer itself, that's pretty much all the hop's fault. :P Now, you CAN use different hops with different BUs (bitterness units) and go for a lower BU hop and that is quite nice indeed, but that does go into the realm of homebrewing rather than commercially available beers. Changing which hops you use does lend a different flavor to the beer you're making, but if you want to make a less bitter beer, then that's the trade off.

The style of beer is also important - if you don't like bitter beer, stay the hell away from IPAs. :)


Mairkurion {tm} wrote:
There are, of course, people who have no taste for beer, its just hard for us beer lovers (and snobs) to understand and accept. I had a friend trying to convince me (not real hard, but he tried a little) that the right single malt would open my taste buds to the world of whisky, and so far, no epiphany. But I have also seen people whose dislike of beer was actually a dislike of American-style pilsners (which in my case, amounts to utter disdain.)

For a longest time I also didn't like beers, but that was mostly because I had tasted only pilsners, and I still don't particularly care for those, preferring other types. And most people I have met who also say they don't like beer are the same, they have just tasted one type of beer, often pilsners...which was why I doubted Kessu, since having taste for only Guinness is a bit peculiar and usually suggests one hasn't yet tried Kilkenny or Krusovice or other dark goodness...

Though I must say I haven't got into whiskeys, I can have one avec coffee, and if I have more than one shot I get nauseous (which is not connected to alcohol, same amount of, say, vodka is not a problem).

And there are some bitters which are far too bitter for my taste. And serving temperature affects things too (one beer I tried, recommended by a beer enthusiast friend, was far too bitter when cold but once it had warmed up a bit it was very pleasant...)

Osirion

Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber
Mairkurion {tm} wrote:
There are, of course, people who have no taste for beer...

Yes there are, and I thank them every day because they are leaving more for me.


Frankenweisen, Drake's brewery. Was a limited release, they have a similar one now, the Chocolate Milk Stout
Black and Tan, preferably mix of Guinness and Bass
Red Tail Ale, Mendocino brewing company
the peach ales my mother used to brew

Been trying my hand at meads lately. The equipment is less expensive. Sadly my brewing partner didn't filter before bottling (more like 'sticking in jars') and this batch was kinda yeasty. Like a sweet bread but not quite what one expects when drinking.

Andoran

1. Guinness
2. Yuengling
3. Harp
4. Newcastle
5. Hobgoblin


Pathfinder Adventure Path Charter Subscriber; Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Companion, Modules Subscriber

From the cold depths of the archive, once more Aberzombie's beer thread claws its way free, like the proverbial ah... well, Zombie I guess. A beer discussion prompted by Jason's celebratory beer in the blog today got me thinking about how my "favorites list" back on page one from (gak!) 2 years ago has changed.

#1 is now Stone Hammer, a pilsner from a microbrewery F&M Brewery located in Guelph, Ontario. They also make a dark that I want to try but haven't had the chance yet.
#2 remains Guinness
#3 is now Moosehead, having been displaced from its former #1 position. Various comments for and against this beer notwithstanding, I think I'm just getting a bit bored with it. I have heard some interesting things about their pale ale so that will be another to try in the future

Osirion

Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

Beer kicks ass! Something I just picked up on was Felinfoel Brewery's Double Dragon Ale. Very nice.

I've also been drinking Dogfish Head Brewery's Aprihop beer. Another tasy one.

And just recently, I opened up a bottle of homebrewed Imperial Stout. Everyone I've given a taste has enjoyed it so far.

Not sure what I'll brew next - a mead is on the horizon, as soon as I find some decent honey.


Pathfinder Adventure Path Charter Subscriber

After reading this thread, I, as a Bud man, am not feeling the love. Be there not any lovers of my great products? any one? Any where?


Pathfinder Tales Subscriber

Koningshoeven Triple Abbey Ale...have I recommended this here before?

RPG Superstar 2009 Top 16

GUINESS the legedary meal in a glass.


Pathfinder Adventure Path Charter Subscriber; Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Companion, Modules Subscriber
Scott Williams 16 wrote:
After reading this thread, I, as a Bud man, am not feeling the love. Be there not any lovers of my great products? any one? Any where?

I wonder if for a lot of people, it falls in the "sandwich bread" category. You know, not really exciting by itself but with the right extras, it can make a really good sandwich. Others might consider it a comfort food, familiar, always there, always reliable. My version would be Labatts Blue. First beer I ever had, a staple through my era of being a bar regular, and therefor is my baseline for what "standard beer" tastes like.


Pathfinder Tales Subscriber

Are you asking for a poll? Be sure you want to know:

Spoiler:
Because I hate American mass-produced pilsners, and find them nothing but foul. It's not like white bread to me that I don't mind going back to, it's like some sort of bread substitute. As long as I thought that was "beer," I didn't like beer.


Pathfinder Adventure Path Charter Subscriber; Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Companion, Modules Subscriber

A poll on favorite macro-brewery? No. Nothing against them, though; I can understand why some would still list one as favorite. When I think of what "water" tastes like, I think of what comes out of my tap at home. When I travel, the water always tastes different and therefor doesn't taste like "water" should. Know what I mean?

I do find the reports on micro-brews more interesting - though also somewhat frustrating since I know I'll never find a lot of them.

Spoiler:
Bread substitute? I can't seem to wrap my mind around that. I just keep picturing ham and cheese wrapped up in a leaf...

To be honest, last few years I've been much more of a scotch man than into beer when drinking at home. When I do have a beer, its now usually at dinner meetings, and I'll try something from a local brewery, hopefully something I haven't tried before. Otherwise, fall back on Guiness. :)


Pathfinder Tales Subscriber

Daeglin, I couldn't think of another way to get at it. Maybe its like creamer instead of cream or krab instead of crab? I don't want to diminish anyone's enjoyment of what they like, but that is honestly how I felt before I discovered that there was a whole other tradition of brewing. Then I went from hating beer to loving it.

101 to 150 of 1,199 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Off-Topic Discussions / Favorite Beer? All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.