Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
About Paizo Messageboards News Paizo Blog Help/FAQ
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

RPG Superstar 2015

JSL's Runelords Campaign


Play-by-Post

1 to 50 of 2,491 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>

Intros for Varisians and Chelaxians

For Vesh only:

Spoiler:
While aboard the Song of Celios, you have learned that her destination is Sandpoint, a small town on the Lost Coast some 200 miles south of Riddleport. You note that the ship is due to arrive on Desna-tvansti, more commonly celebrated as the Swallowtail Festival. Apparently this year the festival holds even more significance in Sandpoint as it will mark the dedication of their new cathedral, the old town church having burned in a fire a few years back. Most of the Song's cargo is intended for the festival.

For all except Naelah and Vesh:

Spoiler:
As you have been about your business in Sandpoint, you can't help but be swept up in the excitement of this year's Swallowtail Festival, which will also marks the dedication of Sandpoint's new cathedral. The old town church was destroyed in a fire a few years ago during a tense and tragic time the townsfolk refer to as the Late Unpleasantness. Apparently it was about this same time that an eccentric woodcarver living to the northwest of town on a small island turned out to be the Chopper, a psychopathic mass murderer who terrorized the town for nearly a month and claimed 25 victims, most horribly mutilated.

You are familiar with the following prominent locations on the Sandpoint map in the Player's Guide:

1. The new cathedral
3. The White Deer Inn
10. Sandpoint Garrison
11. Town Hall
26. Sandpoint General Store
29. Grocer's Hall (open air market)
37. The Rusty Dragon Inn
38. Goblin Squash Stables

I'll have the individual characater intros up in a couple of minutes


Character Intros

Vesh:

Spoiler:

"Big festival later today - north end of town", one of the mates - Fenster, you think - says as you help him wrestle a wooden crate unto a handcart, "lots of cargo to unload - you won't even be noticed". Even after spending a week aboard ship on the journey from Riddleport, you still find the gentle sway of the deck beneath your feet unnerving to say the least. You wrap a length of cord around the crate and struggle to tie some semblance of a knot in it. The sailor looks over your work and chuckles, "well, at least we'll be having no trouble untying it."

As you heft the cart and slowly make your way towards the gangplank, you get your first good look at Sandpoint. It's a small town to be sure. Half a dozen wooden buildings line a narrow, crooked street facing the docks at the southern end of town. To the north, the land rises gradually and you can see a mixture of slate tile and wood shingled rooftops beyond. The sun is just now pushing above a thick wood to the east of town and you can see light glinting off a high roof well to the north.

There is a bustle of activity below you on the docks as dockhands and sailors alike unload supplies by the wagon and cart load. Canvas for tents, kegs of ale, bales of hay, crates of fine wine and colorful linen. All for today's festival. Despite the early hour, a growing crowd on the street above is turning out to watch the activity. You suddenly feel uncomfortable as you realize more than a few of them are staring at you. Have you been betrayed?

"Pay 'em no mind," says the sailor, again at your side pushing a cart of his own, "not often a Varisian arrives here by ship, I reckon. Follow me down the plank ... easy now ... easy does it ... when we're at the bottom, I'll go left and you'll follow till you're behind that pile of crates there. Leave your cart, and take your gear. Sandpoint's good people - mostly - not like Riddleport. Take Salmon Street to Market and head to the Rusty Dragon. Ameiko'll know what to do with you. Reckon she's helped more'n her share."

Ehlissa:

Spoiler:

Today's the day of the Swallowtail Festival - the excitement has been building in town for the last week and now you can practically feel it washing over you as you step into the Rusty Dragon's common room. Always a bustling place, this morning it is a madhouse of noise and chaos. Half of the town seems to be here eating breakfast and gossiping. The remaining residents are apparently clamoring at the door waiting to get in. Ameiko, the innkeeper, and Bethana, her assistant, are in fine form, deftly gliding about the crowded room wielding huge trays piled high with pastries, breads, and Ameiko's famous curried salmon omelets. Your customary seat by the window is taken, so you settle for a narrow corner of the bar sandwiched between Gaven, the brewer, and a Chelish farmer - an out of towner probably here for the festival.

You've been in town for five days now, staying at the Rusty Dragon and enjoying every minute of it. The bustle and energy of the town is amazing compared to the sedate tranquility you had grown accustomed to at the family estate. You have especially enjoyed the evenings when Ameiko and others have taken the stage at the Dragon to share tales of wild and dangerous adventures. Though Ameiko's stories have been the best, you have also enjoyed listening to a brash young sailor also recently arrived in Sandpoint.

After breakfast, you plan to go about your daily routine: retrieving your horse from the Goblin Squash Stables and riding the many trails around Sandpoint, becoming familiar with the town and surrounding lands. If you are lucky, Daviren Hosk - the stable owner - will be busy with the festival and you will be able to get on the road quickly. When you first arrived he was great, telling you all about his adventures killing goblins and other evil creatures. But yesterday when he showed you his collection of goblin ears and the dead goblin he keeps in a jar of brine as a trophy, it was a little more than you had bargained for and you found yourself regretting the second helping of cured venison you had for lunch.

Malcolm:

Spoiler:

It's been three days since you made landfall in Sandpoint and, to your dismay, you are no closer to getting back to Riddleport than you were the day you arrived. That's not to say your time here has been a complete waste. You've been staying free of charge at the Rusty Dragon Inn, where a good story buys a night's room and board. You figure you have a year's worth of stories left and things are starting to look better. Turns out there is a festival in town today for the opening of the new temple. More than a few ships have arrived in the harbor in the last few days and you hear tell that the Song of Celios out of Riddleport is expected at dawn today. If you aren't mistaken - and you rarely are - that's Fenster's boat.

You eat an early breakfast and beat the crowd down to the docks in time to see the Song tie off. Sure enough, your old mate Fenster is there. Though after that last game of single-deck Deadeye where you both turned over the deuce of Pride on the third trick, you think discretion the better part of valor and settle into the morning shadows to observe quietly.

After a few minutes, securing the rigging, the sailors and dockhands swarm over the ship's deck wheeling carts and crates about in a maddening dance. It looks like more supplies for the festival, but knowing Fenster there is likely more to this cargo than meets the eye. As you settle in to watch, your view is blocked by a tall man with long dark hair dressed in Chelish military fashion: mail armor under a blue-grey tunic. He watches the scene below for a minute, then turns toward you revealing a droopy brown mustache. Nodding slightly in your direction he ambles on to the south.

Fenster is now walking towards the gangplank with a loaded handcart. Following him closely is a young Varisian garbed in dark robes, who staggers slightly as the ship gently rolls in place. This is no sailor - of that much you are certain. The Varisian follows Fenster down the plank taking timid steps and focusing all his energy on keeping his cart upright. At the dock, he continues with Fenster for awhile. They seem to be talking. Finally, at the far end of the dock, the Varisian ducks behind a growing collection of crates and out of sight. Fenster nonchalantly dumps his cartload and returns to the ship. You think you catch a glimpse of the Varisian headed northeast on Salmon Street.

Corran:

Spoiler:

Though you have been to Sandpoint many times in the past to attend market days and festivals, this is your first time here alone. Your father is ailing and your youngest sister was finally married off over the summer, leaving you to represent your family at this year's festival. You arrived in Sandpoint late last night and took the last room at the Rusty Dragon Inn with a sigh of relief and road-weariness. It was good to have a familiar meal and see a few friendly faces after a day and a half on the road. You also suppressed a slight chuckle when Ameiko, the innkeeper and herself a famous adventurer, seemed not to recognize you when you drifted in late at night, alone and armed. Adulthood, you learned, has its privileges. No longer relegated to the room to keeping an eye on your sisters, you enjoyed a front row seat as Ameiko and others, including a somewhat bawdy young sailor not much older than yourself, entertained the crowd with stories of heroic adventure and courtly intrigue. While listening you briefly caught the eye of a pretty Chelish woman of about your age listening enraptured to every word of the fantastic tales.

Now it is early the next morning and you are seated at the bar enjoying a large breakfast of ham, eggs, and thickly sliced warm pumpernickel bread from Sandpoint Savories. It is crowded at the Rusty Dragon today. Many of the townsfolk are up and about early to get a start on the festivities. Your father would have loved to be here. He was close to Father Tobyn who - along with his daughter Nualia - perished in the chapel fire five years ago. This would have brought the old man some closure, you think staring into your warm cider, your mind wandering. Nualia was a strange girl. She was about the same age as Alise, your older sister. You met her once, in fact, when she fished your sister Brea out of the town fountain. Beautiful with white hair and wide, purple eyes; but distant. Something about her just wasn't quite right...

Your thoughts break off suddenly the chair next to you grates on the wood floor. The Chelish woman you saw last night sits next to you, smiling briefly. A pendant around her neck catches your eye - it is the coat-of-arms of the Briez family, minor nobles of Magnimar. The old man was right, you think as you suppress a wry grin: the heraldry he drilled into you from your youth has paid off.

Slidell:

Spoiler:

Thus far you have been enjoying your stay in Sandpoint tremendously - and the room and board at the White Deer are wonderful. Why didn't you think to take a sabbatical earlier? Ok, you have gotten a few strange looks - after all, it is not often a Chelaxian has a Varisian tatoo, but overall the people here are very nice and more than eager to talk about the upcoming festival. Except for Das Korvut, the smith; the children singing about "crazy man Das Korvut ... how many men has he trounced? 1, 2, 3, 4..." are spot on. It's best to just leave him alone! Besides, given a minor creation spell and a homunculus helper you could practically do his job yourself.

Oh, and you've found that no one really wants to talk about the Chopper. Strange, that: you'd think after all these years someone would have looked into the case more thoroughly. After all, there is no telling what could push an innocuous eccentric over the edge like that. And for all you know, the way in which he mutilated the bodies or his strange obsession with carving birds in the lintels and mullions of local buildings could be extremely significant.

You have found a kindred soul in Brodert Quink, the sage of Sandpoint (map location 8). Apparently most everyone in town thinks cantankerous old Brodert is off his rocker, but you know when someone has hit on something and you think Brodert has. He has asked you to stop by his home later tonight after the festival to discuss his recent work. A student of ancient architecture and Thassilonian history, he is sure he has made an important discovery concerning the ancient structure outside town known as the Old Light. The festival - that reminds you - you were planning to stop by the Curious Goblin (bookstore, location 22) and ask after a Varisian prayerbook. After all, no point in attending the Swallowtail Festival if you don't know the whole story behind it.

But first things first, you remind yourself. And breakfast in the White Deer's common room is not to be missed. You survey the crowd - a mixture of Varisians and local farmers. And there smack in the middle of the room, looking as out of place as a dove in a murder of crows, a young Shoanti woman is picking delicately at a loaf of warm bread while a wolf sits patiently at her side.

Naelah:

Spoiler:

As is the custom with your people, you have come of age and now go to make your mark in the world. Unlike the blood rites of the Skoan-Quah or the ritual potions of the Shadde-Quah, you of the Tamiir-Quah wander the land, sometimes for years, seeking that which is your true nature. You have travelled now for three bright moons and three dark moons, according to the reckoning of your people, and in this time have seen many strange and wondrous sights: stairs carved by the ancient gods, twisted nightmare forests, great rents in the earth disgorging foul acid. Yet you despair not, for it is said by the wise and aged of your clan that the wind must blow forever, and so it is with the Tamiir-Quah. The axe may break, the spire may fall, the moon waxes and wanes, but the wind blows forever.

It is the turning of the seasons and soon your tribe will abandon the summer hunting grounds, moving east to escape the ravishes of the Linnorm and in turn bring war to the hated orcs of Belkzen - driving them east to their winter retreat. At this time also, the Varisians celebrate the rebirth of their goddess, Desna with the release of hundreds of Swallowtail butterflies. Though your tribe does not share their beliefs, this has always been a time of shared festivities and rituals. Perhaps if there are Varisians and Shoanti in this wilderness, you can share again in the rites of your ancestors.

Following the sun, you came at dusk upon a Varisian tribe encamped upon the grasslands within scent of the sea. Among them, you saw a strange sight: a pale man who danced as the Varisians and clothed his skin in their mystic symbols. It is whispered among your people that the pale men entreat with the ancient demons for great glory and riches.

When the rising sun withdrew the shadow and the Varisians broke camp, you followed. For two more days you pursued the Varisians and for two nights, you watched the pale man among them. On the evening of the third day, they arrived at a stone wall where many of the pale men and Varisians and - you were shocked to see - some Shoanti make a peaceful gathering by the sea in a place they call Sandpoint. Within the encampment - if it can be called that - you soon meet a brother Shoanti, called by his people Garridan, who offers you the hospitality of his grand stone hut (actually the White Deer Inn, of which he is the owner).

After a night of deep sleep, your host invites you to break bread. You settle in at a long table. The Varisians and pale men move to make room for you and Veren. "Have they never seen a wolf before?", you wonder, noting their curious glances. Garridan, like a chief making a peace-meal in his tent, sets a loaf of sliced bread before you and bows deeply, his hands clasped at his waist. You bow in response and as you look up, to your great surprise the pale man with the Varisian tattoo is coming down the stairs and into the common room. A raven is perched on his shoulder.

It is early morning. The festival doesn't start until noon and it will run into the night. Some more Sandpoint info will be forthcoming shortly.


SANDPOINT RUMORS & INFO

Make a Knowledge (Local) or Gather Information Check. Corran has a +5 bonus for being a local. Vesh and Naelah have a -5 for being very new to town. This represents what you have overheard around town in the last few days.

DC 5

Spoiler:

Sheriff Belor Hemlock and Garridan Viskalai, the owner of the White Deer Inn are brothers. However, they are estranged because Garridan feels Belor has turned his back on his Shoanti heritage by using the Chelish translation of their blood name as a surname.

DC 10

Spoiler:

The Chopper's last victim was Casp Avertin, the former Sheriff. It is rumored that Casp Avertin and mayor Kendra Deverin were romantically involved. Among his other victims was Wade Deverin, the brother of Gaven Deverin and the other "Knight" in the "Two Knights Brewery". Gaven is the mayor's cousin.

DC 15

Spoiler:

Sandpoint was founded some 40 years ago by the Sandpoint Mercantile League - a coalition of four powerful Magnimar families: the Scarnettis (loggers), the Deverins (farmers and brewers), the Kaijitsus (glassmakers and jewelers), and the Valdemars (shipbuilders). Before Sandpoint, the area was home to a semi-permanent Varisian encampment. Some of the Scarnettis tried to drive away or kill the Varisians, but failed miserably. As a result of this fiasco, the town founders allowed the Varisians to stay, incorporated worship of Desna into the town's church and promised to pay the Varisian Council a healthy percentage of the profits of Sandpoints business ventures for 40 years. That deal has recently been renewed for an additional 20 years over the staunch objections of several local factions.

DC 20

Spoiler:

Ameiko Kaijitsu is the daughter of Lonjiku Kaijitsu, who owns the local glassworks. Their family hails from Minkai, on the other side of the world, but Lonjiku was born in Magnimar and has never visited his ancestral homeland. Their family situation is a mess. The birth of Ameiko's older brother Tsuto caused quite a stir in the town - he is a half-elf and Lonjiku has never lived down the shame of being cuckolded by an unknown elf. Ameiko was disowned years ago when she left town in the middle of the night. She returned five years later, wealthy from a successful adventuring career, and opened the Rusty Dragon. Her father has not spoken to her since. As for Tsuto, he finally had enough of the old man too, and left town several years ago. Soon after, his mother died in a fall from the cliff at the family estate.

DC 25

Spoiler:

The Sczarni, a gang of Varisian thugs and robbers, operate in Sandpoint. Though the sheriff has tried on many occasions to round them up or drive them off, they continue to slip through his fingers. Known for everything from gambling and whore-mongering to protection rackets and outright banditry, the Sczarni are not to be trifled with. Though they will never say as much directly, every Varisian knows that the Fatman's Feedbag is a Sczarni front.

DC 30

Spoiler:

Not all of Sandpoint is new. The Old Light outside of town dates to the Thassilonian empire. Also, the seven standing stones in the inner courtyard of the new cathedral were here long before the first Varisian settlers. Though no other ruins of ancient Thassilon have been found in the immediate area, they are almost certainly present. You have pieced together some rumors of strange caverns connected to an old smuggler's tunnel somewhere near the foot of Water Street.


Male Human Ranger 1

Are we packing all arms and armor around town? I don't see Corran carrying all his gear, but it wouldn't be out of character for him to be wearing his sword and chain shirt, with the shield slung across his back.

Edit: Corran got a 20 on his Gather Information check as he listened to the new rumors and gossip last night in the Rusty Dragon.


Male Human Ranger 1

Directed at the Chelaxian woman sitting beside me:

"Hello, I didn't catch your name last night at the Rusty Dragon. My name is Corran. Is that a emblem of the Briez family?"


Corran wrote:

Are we packing all arms and armor around town? I don't see Corran carrying all his gear, but it wouldn't be out of character for him to be wearing his sword and chain shirt, with the shield slung across his back.

I will go by the honor system as far as whether your gear is with you or you have left it in your room. The same goes for whether you ditch your backpack before a fight in order to not take a movement penalty, etc.


Male Human Ranger 1
JSL wrote:
Corran wrote:

Are we packing all arms and armor around town? I don't see Corran carrying all his gear, but it wouldn't be out of character for him to be wearing his sword and chain shirt, with the shield slung across his back.

I will go by the honor system as far as whether your gear is with you or you have left it in your room. The same goes for whether you ditch your backpack before a fight in order to not take a movement penalty, etc.

Ok, Corran would have left his pack (and therefore his adventuring gear) along with his bow and warhammer in his room at the Rusty Dragon. I don't need to pack all my weaponry necessary for the hinterlands around town, but likewise, I don't want to be defenceless, as even Sandpoint has problems, like the Chopper and criminals. Besides, I'm training to be a soldier, so I can't just leave the armor off because its more comfortable that way, lol


Male Human (Varisian) Spellthief 4 (XP = 6405) as of 7/28, Wrathspawn and Shrine (10,000xp = 5th level)

"Follow me down the plank ... easy now ... easy does it ... when we're at the bottom, I'll go left and you'll follow till you're behind that pile of crates there. Leave your cart, and take your gear. Sandpoint's good people - mostly - not like Riddleport. Take Salmon Street to Market and head to the Rusty Dragon. Ameiko'll know what to do..."

Vesh looks down at his own feet as he negotiates the plank and wonders at Fenster's kindness. How one such as he could survive the murk that is Riddleport is beyond Vesh, but he thanks Desna to have such help now.

Vesh abandons his cart at the pile of crates that Fenster indicated, and with a silent prayer of thanks to the man, he ducks behind the crates, grabs his bundle of gear, and makes for Salmon Street to Market, looking for the Rusty Dragon and the woman named Ameiko.

I rolled an 8 for my knowledge check. EDIT: My Gather Information roll would have gotten the same result.

At some point between the docks and the market, Vesh ducks into an abandoned alley and withdraws his cloak and short sword from the bundle of gear he is carrying. He straps the sword on his belt and dons his cloak in a effort to hide his tattoos before continuing on his way. If necessary, his hide check to escape the notice of anyone following him is 18.


Male Human Wizard 2/Sor 1

For Nealah And anyone else who wants to see how I think,...

Spoiler:

The gangly youth came to a sudden stop about halfway down the steps at the sight of the attractive Shoanti & her canine companion, almost dropping his traveling cloak and dislodging the raven on his shoulder in the process, who loudly announced his displeasure at being so rudely transported. The noise failed to move the tall, pale-skinned youth, who appeared to be either frozen or spell-struck, as if his mind had suddenly stopped. With the prompting of a second, louder caw, the boy's mind suddenly jumped back into track, and he continued down the stairs, seeming to mutter to himself as he traveled.

"Go on then, carry yourself then lazy-wings if you don't like the way I do it." he said plainly to no one in particular as he walked. His eyes never leaving the Shoanti woman sitting at the long center table.
The raven slowly turned his head to look at his would-be taxi, the disdain in his look unmistakable.
"Oh go on," the youth repeated as he reached the bottom the stairs. "You know that Garridan doesn't like you at the table anyway. Unless you WANT to risk becoming hot-wings for fido there,..."

With a final look the raven opened his mouth again, to deliver what could only be a raspberry into the ear of his master. Then, a little harder than absolutely necessary, dug his claws in and launched himself from the shoulder towards the rafters, his 2' wingspan startling the locals on the stairway also heading to breakfast.

Rubbing his shoulder, young man continued towards the table, his footsteps increasing in speed as if his body was determined to make up for the time it had lost on the stairs.

As he deftly slipped between two other clientèle into the wide open spot surrounding the Shoanti and her furry friend, he dropped his traveling cloak onto the back of the neighboring chair and turned to face the blond, leather-clad woman. Clasping his hands near his waist, he gave an over energetic, but "technically" correct bow of Shoanti peaceful greeting, and sat down. Almost tripping over his own feet as he did so, but somehow managing not to entangle the staff strapped to his back with the chair.

"Welcome, greetings, salutations and caelai." He said, almost too quickly, as he deposited his wide-brimmed hat onto the table in front of him. "Your journey was safe I trust? No unpleasantness on the road near town?" He continued happily smiling as he deftly reached out and snagged two slices of the still-warm bread from the plate in front of her. "I don't mean to pry, but I was wondering what a Wind Clan was doing so far from her ancestral grounds. Is it a rite of passage, or perhaps a spiritual journey?" He continued chattily as he reached for the small bowl of salt, kept Shoanti style on the table by the innkeeper, "I do have it right don't I? The Tribal markings? You are Wind Clan? I'm sorry I don't speak Shoanti so I don't know the proper name, though I do speak a few other languages,..." He continued to verbally transfix the young woman who sat staring, temporarily befuddled by the young pale man's rapid speech and foreign accent. He took two pinches of salt from the bowl, and spread them over the pieces of bread in front of him. He then took the piece nearest him and presented it to the young woman, who reached for it automatically from years of habit.
"So, that's all it is, not magic. Actually, I DO know magic, but I simply noticed the dust of travel on your boots had not been cleaned off, showing that you are still recently arrived from your journeys. I think I properly translated your tribal markings as Wind Clan, but I do apologize if I got that wrong, and from your gear and companion," he indicated the grey wolf at her side as he tossed a crust of his bread to him, and flipping another crust up over his head which was promptly snatched by by a fleet dark shape from the rafters. "I concluded that you are a spiritualist of nature, or Druid as some call them, and I was merely curious as to what brings you this far from your home?"

The youth paused for both a breath, and a bite of the bread, and then promptly gave another too-quick, technically correct bow. But since he was sitting, he almost brained himself on the table with an audible "THUMP".

The noise jarred Nealah out her trance, and she realized that except that it should be done in silence, she had just been served a (basically) correct, traditional traveler greeting by this strange, pale skinned man.

Sorry for the book. I promise to actually make search checks in the game for all the info I "saw", but I wanted to get this character off on the right foot! I hope this works WITH your character Nealah, not against it!

I'm taking the liberty of presuming that Slidell would have learned of the greeting from Garidan his first day there!

1 am here, going to bed, local checks tomorrow.


Female Human (Chelaxian) Knight 1/Fighter 1/Paladin 1 (2)

Ehlissa has obviously not been paying attention to local gossip Knowledge-Local roll (1d20+2=3) and has been too concerned with talk of fighting, and riding Fleetfoot every day.

She turns to regard the young man who asked about the family, "Excuse me? How did you- Oh yes! The ring!" She looks at her signet ring with a chuckle, "Gosh, how observant of you! I wish I picked up on things like that; yes I've come all the way from Magnimar. It's a lovely little town here; very quaint. Are you from Magnimar?"

The only gear Ehlissa has is her sword. Her armour and what-not is stowed in her room


Male Human Ranger 1
Ehlissa Briez wrote:

Ehlissa has obviously not been paying attention to local gossip Knowledge-Local roll (1d20+2=3) and has been too concerned with talk of fighting, and riding Fleetfoot every day.

She turns to regard the young man who asked about the family, "Excuse me? How did you- Oh yes! The ring!" She looks at her signet ring with a chuckle, "Gosh, how observant of you! I wish I picked up on things like that; yes I've come all the way from Magnimar. It's a lovely little town here; very quaint. Are you from Magnimar?"

The only gear Ehlissa has is her sword. Her armour and what-not is stowed in her room

"No, but many of my family have served in the Magnimar military, going back generations to Chelaxian rule. Its a bit of a tradition, so my grandfather drilled us on the emblems of the noble houses that might be our officers, along with swordwork.

We have a farmhold a day to the southeast of Sandpoint, and I'm here representing the family at the festival."


Female Human (Chelaxian) Knight 1/Fighter 1/Paladin 1 (2)

"Oh well, that must be exciting - you'll love Maginmar, I'm sure! There's so much to see and do, so many people..." she sighs and looks around the room, "But I like it here, it makes a nice change. Oh, I'm sorry," she says with an embarrased grin, "How rude of me! Ehlissa Briez; how d'you do?" She offers her hand to shake with a winning smile and easy confidence.

Would it be okay to add a small pendant of Iomedae's symbol to my equipment? I meant to do it before (it's a childhood keepsake of hers)


Ehlissa Briez wrote:

Would it be okay to add a small pendant of Iomedae's symbol to my equipment? I meant to do it before (it's a childhood keepsake of hers)

Fine with me.


Vesh wrote:


Vesh looks down at his own feet as he negotiates the plank and wonders at Fenster's kindness.

Kindness? Or does he just want you out of the way as quickly as possible?


Male Human Wizard 2/Sor 1

Slidell got a 16 total on his knowledge local roll HERE (13 + 3 Int = 16, untrained) So he got the first 3 on your list.

Slidell will leave his backpack & traveling/adventure gear in his room. (He trusts the propietor now.) But will carry his weapons out of habit. Daggers at waist, his crossbow rides at his right hip, (Usually hidden under his travel cloak), supported by a leather strap over his left shoulder, so that when he grabs it or drops it, it is right there. His staff also has a leather strap on it, as in town he will usually carry it on his back. (Also slung over his left shoulder, leaving the right shoulder for the familiar, and preventing the leather straps from getting tangled if he uses one without removing the other.) It is not unreasonable to say that he would probably not usually carry his crossbow in a town, but I'm going with he has carried it around for so long now, that he is more comfortable feeling it at his hip, and just losing the weight of the backpack makes him feel unfettered.)

(Yes, I have gone to medieval fairs and been in "combat" groups that gathered in costume, I HAVE thought all of this out! Lol)


Male Human (Varisian) Spellthief 4 (XP = 6405) as of 7/28, Wrathspawn and Shrine (10,000xp = 5th level)
JSL wrote:


Kindness? Or does he just want you out of the way as quickly as possible?

Ah! The benefits of a mediocre wisdom score (and the inattentive flaw)!

Can we assume that Vesh makes it to the Rusty Dragon un-accosted? If so, is there a description of the place, and what I see when I enter? I don't mean to say that you, JSL, need to generate a description of the building. I'm happy to read a description of the building from the Player's Guide or Pathfinder 1. I do need a little help with who's inside (if and) when I enter.


Vesh wrote:

]

Can we assume that Vesh makes it to the Rusty Dragon un-accosted?

Salmon Street leads straight uphill from the harbor and into the heart of Sandpoint. The street cobbles are broken and rutted by the passage of many people and loads of cargo from the docks. Leaving the docks, you immediately feel the Varisian influence of this place. Colorful linens and robes are draped everywhere from second story balconies. Though there are not many people on the street, you feel more than hear or see the energy of the place. Amid the hubbub of many conversations, you also hear what sounds like someone singing and the soft, sweet music of a flute.

Heading up the hill, you pass the Fatman’s Feedbag on your left and overhear the gossip of half a dozen people gathered on the patio as the smells of fresh brioche, grilled sausage, and pancetta mingle in the air. To your right is a once-grand two-story manor, its paint is slightly peeled and there are signs of rot in the posts and lintels. The battered sign hanging above the door depicting a scantily clad faerie stooped over to pat a fluffy grey kitten tells you all you need to know about what goes on inside. Before you in the distance, the sunlight glints off of a twisted metal shape perched atop a building directly at the top of the hill.

As you approach, you can make out the shape: a large rusted iron dragon its wings unfurled as if it is about to swoop down the street and gather you up in its gaping maw. Outside the building, a crowd is milling by the door.

Reaching the top of the hill, you look around to get your bearings. The Rusty Dragon is before you, the Goblin Squash Stables to its right. Behind you on opposite sides of Salmon Street are a shop called the Sandpoint Boutique, which features an assortment of Varisian goods, and a stout masonry building emblazoned with the town seal and block letters identifying it as home of the Sandpoint Mercantile League.

Make a DC 10 spot check

Spoiler:
At the foot of the street you see a tall Chelish man garbed in a blue-grey tunic looking up towards you. As your eyes catch he quickly turns away, ducking behind Fatman’s. He is wearing mail under his clothes and a sword is strapped across his back.

Dark Archive

JSL wrote:


Make a DC 10 spot check

Here goes nothing...Spot check with a -4 modifier... holy cr@p, I rolled a 10!


Male Human Ranger 1
Ehlissa Briez wrote:

"Oh well, that must be exciting - you'll love Maginmar, I'm sure! There's so much to see and do, so many people..." she sighs and looks around the room, "But I like it here, it makes a nice change. Oh, I'm sorry," she says with an embarrased grin, "How rude of me! Ehlissa Briez; how d'you do?" She offers her hand to shake with a winning smile and easy confidence.

Would it be okay to add a small pendant of Iomedae's symbol to my equipment? I meant to do it before (it's a childhood keepsake of hers)

"Hello Ehlissa. So what brings a scion of the Briez to Sandpoint?"


Female Human (Chelaxian) Knight 1/Fighter 1/Paladin 1 (2)

I say, what a rude fellow! I give him my name, and then proceeds to ask me my business without a by-your-leave... Ehlissa thinks to herself.

"I'm here on a private matter," Ehlissa says in a cooler manner than her earlier exuberence, trying to seem very grown-up Well, it's not really a lie she adds mentally, As if I'd tell this stranger about poor Daddy and everything...


Male Human (Varisian) Spellthief 4 (XP = 6405) as of 7/28, Wrathspawn and Shrine (10,000xp = 5th level)

For those who would like to read about Vesh's thought process, feel free to read the following spoiler. For those who wish to cut-to-the-chase, feel free to ignore the following spoiler. ~santinj@

Spoiler:

JSL wrote:
Leaving the docks, you immediately feel the Varisian influence of this place...you feel more than hear or see the energy of the place...you also hear what sounds like someone singing and the soft, sweet music of a flute.

A smile plays across Vesh's face for the first time in a long time. Perhaps this isn't the backwater I thought it would be. He makes note of the places and names that he passes on Salmon street.

JSL wrote:
...the Fatman’s Feedbag on your left...the smells of fresh brioche, grilled sausage, and pancetta mingle in the air...a once-grand two-story manor...The battered sign hanging above the door depicting a scantily clad faerie stooped over to pat a fluffy grey kitten...

The smile widens a bit, and--despite himself--Vesh feels a slight blush rising on his face.

JSL wrote:
...the sunlight glints off of a twisted metal shape perched atop a building directly at the top of the hill...a large rusted iron dragon its wings unfurled...Outside the building, a crowd is milling by the door.

Ah, thinks Vesh, this must be the place Fenster meant. As Vesh looks at his surroundings, he decides--finally--to approach the crowd at the door of the Rusty Dragon to ask about the woman, Ameiko, when...

JSL wrote:
At the foot of the street you see a tall Chelish man garbed in a blue-grey tunic looking up towards you. As your eyes catch he quickly turns away, ducking behind Fatman’s. He is wearing mail under his clothes and a sword is strapped across his back.

Vesh reflexively thumbs his short sword under his cloak, loosening it in it's scabard (but not drawing it, mind you), and spins on his heels. As he approaches the crowd at the door, he thinks twice about asking after Ameiko and, instead, makes to enter The Rusty Dragon. This is the place Fenster spoke of, Vesh thinks. No use asking a question I already know the answer to.

Vesh smiles amiably to any in the crowd who make eye contact with him, and says a brief "Good Morning" to no one in particular before entering what he assumes will be the common room of the Rusty Dragon. Pausing in the doorway to allow his eyes to adjust as necessary, he scans the room for anyone who looks like they might be a scullion, a serving wench, or the proprietor of the place. Without thinking about it, Vesh's smile turns into a stern frown as he concentrates on finding Ameiko before his Chelish pursuer finds him.


Male Human Ranger 1
Ehlissa Briez wrote:

I say, what a rude fellow! I give him my name, and then proceeds to ask me my business without giving me his in return! Ehlissa thinks to herself.

"I'm here on a private matter," Ehlissa says in a cooler manner than her earlier exuberence, trying to seem very grown-up Well, it's not really a lie she adds mentally, As if I'd tell this stranger about poor Daddy and everything...

Corran did give his name when he first spoke to her... unless you meant last name, which I still have to come-up with ;-)

"I'm sorry if my curiosity gave offense. It isn't often that we see nobles here in Sandpoint, outside the founding families of course. Even less so for those of us that live on the farms in the hinterland."


Female Human (Chelaxian) Knight 1/Fighter 1/Paladin 1 (2)

oh yes, sorry! I've edited her thought process - now she just seems hyper-sensitive! Which she kind of is..

Ehlissa seems somewhat mollified by the young man's explanation; that, and she can't help but like him, "No, I'm sorry," she replies, "I suppose it must seem a little odd for me to be here, but then we are an odd lot!" She warms to her theme, and her whole manner seems to change, becoming like an enthusiastic child, "We used to have these wonderful 'do's, everybody getting dressed up to the nines, and all that, and one time we had the most fantastic illusionist there; well, Lady Orthanis was there (she's such a cow!) and Daddy told the illusionist (lovely old chap) to make it look like old Orthanis has been turned into a squawking peacock! Of course everybody just fell about!"

She notes Corran's presumably dumb-founded look, "Gosh, that does sound rather nasty when I tell it, but she really did have it coming! Honestly! And then there was the time- Oh sorry, I'm rabbiting on... You really should stop me!" she adds with a laugh.


Gather Information 20
I follow Fenster in the shadows and wait for the land lubber youth to move on before revealing myself. "Fenster! It's me, Malcom, from the Blackfire. What're you doing here in Sandpoint?" I say in a cheerful voice, hoping that he's forgotten or at least forgiven past incidents.
I'm carrying my rapier and my shortsword, as well as my daggers although the daggers are concealed.
We're going to have some company so I don't know hom much I'll be able to post over the next 5-7 days. I should be able to post once a day though.


Female Human (Chelaxian) Knight 1/Fighter 1/Paladin 1 (2)

Gather Info (belated) (1d20+3=8)

As she ceases to waffle on to the young warrior, Ehlissa remembers overhearing some idle gossip in the tavern.


Sir Malcolm of Riddleport wrote:


I follow Fenster in the shadows and wait for the land lubber youth to move on before revealing myself. "Fenster! It's me, Malcom, from the Blackfire. What're you doing here in Sandpoint?" I say in a cheerful voice, hoping that he's forgotten or at least forgiven past incidents.

Fenster spins towards your voice, his hands grasping for his weapons. But when he comes full around to face you, recognition dawns in his eyes and he grabs you by both shoulders, "Aye, Malcolm, ha ha! What's a scurvy-ridden rat like you doing in shallow water? Say, I be a rum-skewered orc, or I ain't noticed your lucky girl down dockside! Don't tell me ye ha' given up the life of a knave when ye knows ye were born to it? Ha!"

Seeing your eyes wander up the street, Fenster takes a step back. "Oh, him. Kid needed out of Riddleport, so I took him along. Got me 20 coin for it too - an' me crew thinks he could only pay five!"

Make a spot check DC 15

Spoiler:
Out of the corner of your eye you see a fellow in blue-grey clothing loitering to the side of the street, looking up the hill towards town. Rovagug slit your gullet if it isn't the same man you saw at the docks earlier.


Vesh wrote:

Vesh reflexively thumbs his short sword under his cloak, loosening it in it's scabard (but not drawing it, mind you), and spins on his heels. As he approaches the crowd at the door, he thinks twice about asking after Ameiko and, instead, makes...

As you gently elbow through the crowd and in the door, you find yourself face-to-face with a tall middle-aged man dressed in white robes tied with a belt. He has black hair and somewhat exotic features - a foreigner, you figure. Before you can react, he pushes a sealed letter into your hand and whispers, "You know Ameiko, boy? Good! Now do a chap a favor and see that Ameiko gets this, eh?". As you stare dumbly, he presses a pair of gold coins into your other hand. "There you are, lad. Now off with ye!" and he spins nimbly to the side and glides away out the door and through the crowd.

The letter is written on heavy parchment. It is sealed with wax, but bears no symbol. "For Ameiko" is written on it in the elegant hand of an educated person.

Returning to your senses, you nudge your way into the Rusty Dragon's common room. Garish decorations and a plethora of exotic aromas assault your senses. Looking around, you see a pair of servers working the crowd. One is a grey-haired halfling who darts to and fro with impossibly large trays piled high with steaming plates and mugs. The other is a very slim woman with a tan complexion. Her black hair is tressed with a countless array of colorful beads and ribbons. She catches your eye and motions you towards the bar at the opposite side of the room. "You'll have a wait for tables today, sir, but we've room for you at the bar".

"Not a bad idea", you think, suddenly finding yourself very hungry. Perhaps the coins you are now jingling in your hand can do something about that.

As you push towards the bar, the crowd becomes thinner. You realize that most have already eaten and are just standing around and gossiping on their way out. Excited for today's festival, you suppose. There are few stools available at the bar, but the maid who hailed you is waiting for you and has saved you a seat next to a Chelish man with a large steel shield belted to his back.


For Ehlissa and Corran:
Ameiko dances over to where you are sitting, delicately balancing an impossible pile of plates and trays on her arms. She deftly slides a basket of warm bread in front of you with one hand while motioning a new arrival into the vacant chair beside Corran. The fellow is a young Varisian. He glances around nervously as he makes his way through the crowd. He is holding a folded parchment in one hand and looks out of place.


Male Human (Varisian) Spellthief 4 (XP = 6405) as of 7/28, Wrathspawn and Shrine (10,000xp = 5th level)
JSL wrote:

The other is a very slim woman with a tan complexion... "You'll have a wait for tables today, sir, but we've room for you at the bar".

"Not a bad idea", you think, suddenly finding yourself very hungry...

Pocketing the paper just handed him, Vesh approaches the seat indicated by the thin woman, "'Sir' is how I addressed my father when I got into trouble as a child," He tells her with a deadpan look. "My name is Vesh. Food would be most welcome. Spicy sausage, black bread, and ale," he says slapping one coin on the bar, "and some help finding a woman named Ameiko," he says holding up the other coin suggestively, a slight (and nervous?) smile playing across his face.

Shadow Lodge

Male Human (Sometimes) Gamer 10/ Writer 7/University Student 5.

Apologies for being so tardy, I'll be able to post in about 2 hours, when I knock off from work.

Star Voter 2013

PsionicFox wrote:
Apologies for being so tardy, I'll be able to post in about 2 hours, when I knock off from work.

"Whew"

For a minute there I thought maybe my performance was unappreciated ;P
Or worse, that Sly had managed to scare off poor Nealah! :)


Female Human (Chelaxian) Knight 1/Fighter 1/Paladin 1 (2)

"Thank you, Ameiko!" Ehlissa calls after her. She looks at the bread greedily, "Yummy!" and then looks at Corran sheepishly, "Sorry, would you like some?" she asks him.


Vesh wrote:
"and some help finding a woman named Ameiko," he says holding up the other coin suggestively, a slight (and nervous?) smile playing across his face.

"Of course,", she replies in a friendly tone as she exchanges the food-laden platters on her tray for a pile of empty dishes on the bar. Then, with a sly smile and a nod to the patrons in the nearby chairs, she continues in a faux-conspiratorial whisper, "I'm Ameiko - pleased to meet you, Vesh."


Male Human (Varisian) Spellthief 4 (XP = 6405) as of 7/28, Wrathspawn and Shrine (10,000xp = 5th level)
JSL wrote:


...with a sly smile and a nod to the patrons in the nearby chairs, she continues in a faux-conspiratorial whisper, "I'm Ameiko - pleased to meet you, Vesh."

The smile on Vesh's face falters, and for the second time today Vesh feels his face becoming flushed. Realizing how silly he must look holding the coin as he is, he pockets it as he says, "A tall foreigner in white robes handed me this letter to deliver to you as came in the door just now." Vesh produces the paper and hands it to Ameiko. "He put the paper and some coin in my hand before I thought to ask his name. He assumed that I knew who you were." By Desna, I sound like a dithering fool!

Dropping his voice and glancing at the shield-bearing fighter and his companion, "I am looking for you for other reasons. I have just arrived aboard The Song of Celios. A man I met--Fenster--said I should seek you out." Even more quietly, almost painfully, Vesh says, "He said that you would know what to do with me."


Male Human (Varisian) Spellthief 4 (XP = 6405) as of 7/28, Wrathspawn and Shrine (10,000xp = 5th level)

1gp added to inventory, BTW.


Female Human (Shoanti) Druid 3, Sorcerer 1 6,000 XP

Man! Dramatic week much? Anywho, on with the posting!

I scored a 5, so I know the first whisper around town.

For Slidell And anyone else who cares...

Spoiler:

The wind called to her.
She had no other way to explain it, and her clan understood. Unlike the other Shoanti clans, the Tamiir-Quah often traveled where the wind took them for a time, and for those who could listen to the wind, they often traveled much further, and for greater lengths of time. For once they returned, they would never leave their clan again. And thus, when Naelah, the one her tribe called 'Snow-Child' heard the winds call to her, she was given the blessings of her clan and family, both parties sure that one day, likely a few years from now, Naelah would return, sure in her talents, and ready to guide and protect her people as a spiritual leader.

Communing with her clan's totem was both her birthright, and her duty. She had this time away from her clan to deepen her ties to the wind, and she began by wandering away from her tribe, letting her instincts, and her companion guide her. She traveled, and grew as she did, relying only on her skills, that of her companion, and her link to the wind.

For some time, she wandered alone, before stumbling upon those she knew to be Varisians, as they were called in the common tongue. She did not join them, but instead watched them with fascination, especially the pale one who danced.

Before too long had passed, she found herself in the walled 'city' of Sandpoint, which, aside from clan gatherings, was the largest group of people she had ever seen in one place. To her surprise, Naelah managed to find others that she recognized who had the blood, and the clan markings of the Shoanti. He offered her the hospitality of his 'stone tent', which he called an 'Inn'. Taking up his offer, she rested well, refusing to sleep in the bed he supplied, but on the floor of her room instead, Veren curled at her feet.

As she was breaking her fast, Naelah was disturbed by a rather talkative young man, who seemed almost as flighty as his raven. She let him rambled, a little surprised at his ability to greet her like a clansmen - if more clumsy than your average man of the Shoanti.

"Caelai." She murmured when she could get a word in edgewise. I am one who is jhoraelol sai si shol, listening to the wind." She responded, bemused by his nature. "This is..Druid, to you, yes?" She asked, a little confused at the term. "I am healer. I listen, I watch, yes?"

Mini novel of my own!

Naelah will have her quaterstaff with her, along with a a pair of pouches at her belt, and of course Veren.

Should we post our prepared spells in our profiles?


Vesh wrote:


Dropping his voice and glancing at the shield-bearing fighter and his companion, "I am looking for you for other reasons. I have just arrived aboard The Song of Celios. A man I met--Fenster--said I should seek you out." Even more quietly, almost painfully, Vesh says, "He said that you would know what to do with me."

Vesh, make a DC 10 Sense Motive check. Corran and Ehlissa can make the same with a -5 penalty because they are bystanders.

Success:

Spoiler:

"A foreigner, you say, hmm...", Ameiko begins, taking the parchment from Vesh's outstretched hand. As she glances at the writing, her smile turns briefly to a thin frown and her eyes narrow in anger or annoyance. Quickly regaining her composure, she laughs nervously and slides the letter into a pocket in her tunic. "Just more rambling from that oaf Drokkus, I expect", she says quietly to no one in particular.

Failure:

Spoiler:

"A foreigner, you say, hmm...", Ameiko begins, taking the parchment from Vesh's outstretched hand. She laughs and slides the letter into a pocket in her tunic, muttering under her breath as she does so.

"Now then, Vesh", she continues, "after breakfast I do have some work that you can do for me. At least enough to earn you a night's stay. We can always use more help here at the Rusty Dragon. But first, enjoy your breakfast."

Then, to a burly bald-headed fellow a few seats away, "Say there, Ven! This here is Vesh. I'll be sending him by your store to fetch those supplies and haul them down to Church Square for me."

Ven nods gruffly in Vesh's direction, "Good! We have everything ready for you."

With that settled Ameiko makes her way through the thinning crowd towards the kitchen.


Sorry for not doing much yesterday. I think with the Skinsaw Murders out all the downloads lagged the site. @Naelah: yes, please put your prepared spells in your profile. Slidell also needs to get his spellbook spells


Female Human (Chelaxian) Knight 1/Fighter 1/Paladin 1 (2)

Sense Motive (1d20+1-5=10)

"Did you see that?" whispers Ehlissa to Corran, "Not bad news I hope..."


Male Human Ranger 1
Ehlissa Briez wrote:

Sense Motive (1d20+1-5=10)

"Did you see that?" whispers Ehlissa to Corran, "Not bad news I hope..."

"I hope not" Corran whispers back. Ameiko is a bit of a role model for Corran, in that she bucked family tradition and expectations to become a succcessful adventurer. He too is contemplating that choice rather than joining the Magnimar military as expected.


Male Human (Varisian) Spellthief 4 (XP = 6405) as of 7/28, Wrathspawn and Shrine (10,000xp = 5th level)
JSL wrote:


Vesh, make a DC 10 Sense Motive check. Corran and Ehlissa can make the same with a -5 penalty because they are bystanders.

Sense Motive at +0 = 12


Female Human (Chelaxian) Knight 1/Fighter 1/Paladin 1 (2)

"Who's this Drokkus chap? She didn't seem too happy about it..." Ehlissa asks Corran, now desperate to hear any local gossip. And trying to look out of the corner of her eye at Vesh, whilst nonchelantly chewing on bread...


Male Human (Varisian) Spellthief 4 (XP = 6405) as of 7/28, Wrathspawn and Shrine (10,000xp = 5th level)
JSL wrote:


Ven nods gruffly in Vesh's direction, "Good! We have everything ready for you."

With that settled Ameiko makes her way through the thinning crowd towards the kitchen.

Vesh, mouth agape, looks from Ven, to Ameiko walking away, and back to Ven. And I thought things happened quickly in Riddleport! With a nod to Ven, Vesh quickly scans the room...

(for JSL)

Spoiler:
...for any sign of the Chelaxian in blue/grey clothing that he saw on Salmon Street...

...and then sizes-up the other patrons in the Rusty Dragon.

When his eyes fall upon the fighting man and the young woman who are whispering to one another next to him, he opens his mouth as if to speak, catches himself, frowns, and then turns his attention to his breakfast. He eats hungrily.


Ehlissa Briez wrote:
"Who's this Drokkus chap?

For Corran:

Spoiler:
Cyrdak Drokkus is the proprieter of the Sandpoint Theatre. It is a magnificent building well suited to his larger-than-life personality. He's not a foreigner, though. Originally from Magnimar, Cyrdak uses his contacts there to lure top talent to perform in his biggest productions, though he also leans heavily on local talent for smaller productions. In your youth you saw one or two plays at the theatre with your family.

You gather Cyrdak will be one of the keynote speakers at the dedication of the new cathedral today, if only for his magnetism and stage presence. He is not the sort of person to be particularly devout. Come to think of it Ameiko and Cyrdak have always seemed to rub each other the wrong way.


Vesh wrote:


And I thought things happened quickly in Riddleport!

I'm still trying to get the hang of PbP pacing and trying to balance different folks' access limitations. It's alot more effort for me to write something than to just say it, so I have to make each post worthwhile. Still I don't want anyone to feel railroaded. And Ameiko is pretty nice. Ven, on the other hand, we'll see... :)


Male Human (Varisian) Spellthief 4 (XP = 6405) as of 7/28, Wrathspawn and Shrine (10,000xp = 5th level)
JSL wrote:
...I don't want anyone to feel railroaded...

You're doing just fine. Vesh's thought is genuine; he is coming into this town more than a little scared, possibly hunted, and with the impression that Sandpoint is a sleepy little backwater. An impression that the locals are disabusing Vesh of.

As an aside, I think (because everyone seems to be really good writers who understand their characters) this has the flavor of collaborative story-telling in a way that face-to-face roleplaying at times doesn't. Good job everyone--I'm having a ball!


Male Human Wizard 2/Sor 1

For Nealah, and all who like to watch a young man make a fool of himself,...

Spoiler:
Briskly rubbing his forehead, the young man was either stunned speechless, or shocked at the table's unprovoked attack. Either way, he finally stopped speaking long enough for the Shoanti woman to reply,...

Naelah wrote:
"Caelai." She murmured when she could get a word in edgewise. I am one who is jhoraelol sai si shol, listening to the wind." She responded, bemused by his nature. "This is..Druid, to you, yes?" She asked, a little confused at the term. "I am healer. I listen, I watch, yes?"

"Jhoraelol sai si shol, listening to the wind,...", The stranger repeated to himself, as if committing it to memory. "HA!" He barked toward the rafters, I told you you I got that part right!" He turned back toward the woman and continued in a normal voice, "Druid, Healer, Watcher, Guardian of Nature, Protector of defenseless creatures, That's right!" He beamed.

His smile stayed in place as his eyes went vacant for a moment, "Now, what was I,...? AH! Proper introductions! Of course!" He blurted as he slapped his forehead with his palm, eliciting both a wince of pain from himself, and a barely suppressed smirk from the woman as he contacted the previously injured spot.

Standing, (somewhat cautiously,) the young man bowed again, Slower and more carefully than before. While it was not deep, the contagious smile which reached his eyes made it clear that it was meant as a gesture of friendly greeting and goodwill. And was meant as sincerely as the earlier, more eventful, shoanti greeting.

"My name is Slidell, sometimes called Stormraven." He said still smiling. "And that," he continued after a rude caw from the rafters, "Is Veran, my constant friend, familiar, and usually a pain in my side." He concluded to the sound of another raspberry from the rafters.

Slidell Seated himself, ignoring, or possibly oblivious to, the few stares he recieved from the observers who whispered about the city-bred outlander who greeted a tribeswoman as if she was a fine lady at court.

Safely seated, Slidell continued, "I am a traveler, an investigator of intrigue, and a student of the mystic Arts. At least I'm supposed to be." He muttered darkly aside, "I should have mastered the Art by now,..." His smile returned, and he picked up his piece of half-finished bread and looked at the shoanti woman bright-eyed and expectantly. "And you are,...?"

THERE, now I can say my name instead of "young man" or "pale stranger"!
Nice intro Naelah, I had to read it twice, at first I thought you were saying that LISTENING to Slidell was like listening to the wind! Lol.
Hmmm, I see a eccentric, hyperactive genius, and a calm, quiet, thoughtful wise person. Coincidence? Or JSL Genius?!? Tune in next post to find out!
:)


Female Human (Chelaxian) Knight 1/Fighter 1/Paladin 1 (2)

I'm really enjoying it too, and concur about the story-telling. The writing I've seen here is the best I've ever seen in a PbP. I loved Naelah's background and her first faltering words. Ehlissa is based on a mixture of two friends of mine, so it makes me smile when I write for her.

Star Voter 2013

JSL wrote:
Sorry for not doing much yesterday. I think with the Skinsaw Murders out all the downloads lagged the site. @Naelah: yes, please put your prepared spells in your profile. Slidell also needs to get his spellbook spells

My spellbook & memorized spells on on my character profile, under Class & special abilities. If they are difficult to find, I can BOLD them or move them to their own, easier-to-find spot.

Ditto on the writing to all. I enjoy reading, well-written just makes it easier & more enjoyable! Everyone keep it up, this is great fun!


Male Human Ranger 1
Ragadolf wrote:
Everyone keep it up, this is great fun!

Yep, I agree. The writing is excellent and sets the tone very well. I can't wait to see what it would be like if/when we hit the Skinsaw Murders...

1 to 50 of 2,491 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / JSL's Runelords Campaign All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.