Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
About Paizo Messageboards News Paizo Blog Help/FAQ
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

PaizoCon 2014!

JSL's Runelords Campaign


Play-by-Post

351 to 400 of 2,491 << first < prev | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | next > last >>

Slidell: Smite Evil is +1 damage, not +1d6. Naelah: Veren can get to the goblin and make an attack this round (w/ flank bonus from the summoned creature).

The goblin shrieks in horror as Slidell's celestial dog appears in front of it and bites its leg. Turning it breaks free from the dog and makes to run back towards the party, prompting the noble to snidely remark, "Are you insane? It was running away and now you've chased it back towards us!"

Cheliax

Disregard my posts about going out of town this weekend. Vesh isn't and neither am I :(
-------------------------------
Vesh, seeing Ehlissa dart off to the East, turns and sees the last pathetic goblin turning to run from Slidell's newly conjured dog. Leaving his short sword embedded in the champion's neck, Vesh breaks into a run and--while reaching over his shoulder to get to his bow--he leaps atop the cart to get a clear shot at the goblin.

This is two move actions (pulling the bow and running/jumping onto the cart). I assume that I'll need to make some sort of Jump check to get onto the cart, so here goes: Vesh's jump check (1d20+1=16).


Male Human Wizard 2/Sor 1
JSL wrote:
Slidell: Smite Evil is +1 damage, not +1d6. Naelah: Veren can get to the goblin and make an attack this round (w/ flank bonus from the summoned creature).

My bad, I thought it was +1d6, like sneak attack damage. Sorry.

JSL wrote:
The goblin shrieks in horror as Slidell's celestial dog appears in front of it and bites its leg. Turning it breaks free from the dog and makes to run back towards the party, prompting the noble to snidely remark, "Are you insane? It was running away and now you've chased it back towards us!"

Slidell's smile actually falters for a moment, and he uncrosses his arms. 'Um,..yes, Right! Don't worry! ALL part of the plan!"

He quickly grabs his crossbow from his hip, pulls the lever and fumbles a bolt into place. He hastily takes aim at the re-approaching goblin as Veran caws from the rooftop,

"Fish in a barrel! This is better than the arcade gallery! Don't let him get away this time! Awk!"

I might be confused, (comes with playing this character!) But the creature summoned appears and acts on my turn the next round (this one), does that mean I get an action this round too? Or only a partial because I was actually finishing the spell? Either way, as soon as he can, Sli takes a shot at the goblin with his crossbow if the shot is clear. He isn't real excited about firing into melee. He knows he's not THAT good! But my pooch will be around for another round as well! :)

And the rolls are,... Hit AC 13 for 3 dmg, (IF it hit)


Slidell: You do get to act in the round the creature appears. Unfortunately, you missed... Since it seems PsiFox is usually unavailable over the weekend, I'll go ahead and roll for Veren

Veren darts around the corner chasing the runaway goblin. They meet head-on in the center of the street ...

Veren vs. Goblin (1d20+5=22, 1d6+1=3)

... and the wolf comes out on top, shaking the limp goblin by its scrawny neck.

Meanwhile the nobleman staggers back in shock as Vesh lands beside him in the cart.

"Aaaugh! You people are everywhere!" Then as Ehlissa sails by, "But that I wouldn't mind."

Slicking back his hair with his palm, he pushes past Slidell, "Stay here and prattle to yourself, boy, see how a man handles himself."

Slidell:

Spoiler:
You notice him slip his ring off and pocket it in a single deft motion.

The noble approaches Ehlissa, bows deeply, and kisses her hand.
"My Lady, what an exquisite display of swordsmanship. What grace, what elegance... Alas, I forget myself in your radiant presence. Aldern Foxglove at your service - of the Magnimar Foxgloves."

He goes on a bit, praising Ehlissa's combat prowess. Then, looking around and seeing Corran's bloodied and haggard form stumbling over, reaches into the folds of his tunic and produces a vial of crimson liquid.

"Lady, your footman is sorely wounded. This curative will help him recover," addressing Corran, "...though were he better prepared, he would carry a shield to protect himself...". Turning back to Ehlissa, he whips out a silver flask and takes a deep swig. "Aaah! And that will help me recover."

The vial of crimson liquid is a potion of cure lt. wounds

He tosses the flask to Vesh, who catches it, but drops his bow in the process. "Try some, boy, it'll put hair on your chest!"

"My Lady," he kisses Ehlissa's hand again - and that clearly wasn't the first drink he'd had today, "you have saved my life and now I am eternally in your debt. Please consider me your humble servant and allow me the pleasure of your company for supper tomorrow. I have a large suite at the Rusty Dragon, we will have the best food in town! You can bring your companions, too, if you must."


Female Human (Chelaxian) Knight 1/Fighter 1/Paladin 1 (2)

Can I take 10 or take 20 on a knowledge (nobility) check to know something about this oaf or his family?

Ehlissa looks in well-concealed bafflement as the man kisses her hand. It seems every gad-about in this town is mad-keen on kissing my hand today! she thinks with astonishment.

I have more I'd like to say, but of course it depends on how much she knows about his family etc.


Male Human Wizard 2/Sor 1

Slidell fires at the screeching goblin. But the shot was aimed JUST a little to quickly, and high. It removes the screaming goblins hat as he charges back towards the group.

JSL wrote:


Veren darts around the corner chasing the runaway goblin. They meet head-on in the center of the street ...
... and the wolf comes out on top, shaking the limp goblin by its scrawny neck.

Meanwhile the nobleman staggers back in shock as Vesh lands beside him in the cart.

"Aaaugh! You people are everywhere!" Then as Ehlissa sails by, "But that I wouldn't mind."

Slicking back his hair with his palm, he pushes past Slidell, "Stay here and prattle to yourself, boy, see how a man handles himself."

All wide-eyed innocence, Slidell looks around as the man preens himself and takes after Ehlissa like a shot from his crossbow.

"Man? Sure. Have you seen one?" Having turned to look around, he gives a broad wink to Vesh, then murmurs softly. "All I saw was a chicken dressed like a peacock, but maybe I missed him?,..."
He then picks up his hat, dusts it off, and places it back on his head at a jaunty angle. Apparently missing the entire conversation between the 'nobleman' and Ehlissa, He walks over to meet the summoned dog and gives it a good ear scratching just in time for it to fade away in a pulse of light.
He then turns to give the same attention to Veren.
Slidell stops suddenly, "Veren, Where is Naelah?" he asks firmly.

A caw from Veran brings Slidell's attention up in time to see Naelah slowly exiting the alley, leaning on her staff. Obvious relief shows on his face as he heads towards her. While he appears casual, his long legs eat up the ground as he quickly reaches her side and, unusually polite (and silent) for Slidell, with an almost shy grin offers her his arm to lean on, then leads her to the nearest semi-comfortable place to sit.


Ehlissa Briez wrote:

Can I take 10 or take 20 on a knowledge (nobility) check to know something about this oaf or his family?

Ehlissa looks in well-concealed bafflement as the man kisses her hand. It seems every gad-about in this town is mad-keen on kissing my hand today! she thinks with astonishment.

I have more I'd like to say, but of course it depends on how much she knows about his family etc.

Ehlissa:

Spoiler:
The Foxglove name is one you have heard before, but never in reference to a specific individual. It seems that perhaps in your grandfather's time the Foxgloves were better known (and more reputable). Apparently some tragedy struck the family - well before your birth - and the remnants removed to Korvosa. Needless to say, it's a bit of a shock to encounter one now.


Female Human (Chelaxian) Knight 1/Fighter 1/Paladin 1 (2)

Ehlissa regards the man with all the poise and decorum she can muster after narrowly avoiding death and slaying several goblins, and replies "Ehlissa Briez of the Magnimar Briezes, sir. It is fortunate that we arrived as when we did, you were sorely pressed. I must correct you however, this brave man is not my footman, although I would deem it an honour if he were." She smiles at Corran warmly.

She continues, "I am aware of the Foxglove family, sir, and it heartens me to see that their line continues, and produces stock worthy to bear the family name." (the latter delivered with a deadpan expression). With an icy regality that her friends have heretofore not seen displayed, she appears to consider the man's offer and says, "Very well, I shall accept your gracious offer; we shall all be seated as one party however. I will not tolerate any division of this band; if you have something to say to me concerning our actions today, then it is also for the ears of my comrades-in-arms. I hope we are agreed on this... So we shall look for you tonight at The Rusty Dragon, sir."


Male Human (Varisian) Spellthief 4 (XP = 6405) as of 7/28, Wrathspawn and Shrine (10,000xp = 5th level)
JSL wrote:
He tosses the flask to Vesh, who catches it, but drops his bow in the process. "Try some, boy, it'll put hair on your chest!"

Vesh stands there, stunned at the arrogance of the man. He stoops to retrieve his bow and stows it on his back. Vesh looks as Slidell strides over to ... Naelah! Naelah is here!

Slidell wrote:
While he appears casual, his long legs eat up the ground as he quickly reaches her side and, unusually polite (and silent) for Slidell, with an almost shy grin offers her his arm to lean on, then leads her to the nearest semi-comfortable place to sit.

He sees Slidell, uncharacteristically gentle with the Shoanti girl, and his heart sinks a bit as he slowly realizes what he is seeing--the battle of the past few minutes somehow receding from his attention.

Vesh sits with his legs hanging over the side of the cart. He takes a long drag from the silver flask, and scratches Veren behind the ears as the huge wolf lopes up to him.

"Nice job on that last one," Vesh says to Veren, whose fur is stained red from goblin blood and offal. He takes another drink in silence until he remembers what has just happened, and with a jolt, looks around for wounded Corran.


Male Human Wizard 2/Sor 1

After his initial attack of chivalry, Slidell appears to be lost. He looks around the intersection as if in a daze until, guided by nudging from Naelah, he follows Veren over to the wagon. They arrive and Slidell helps Naelah to sit as Veren is receiving some well-earned praise from Vesh.
As he guides Naelah to a seat on the tail of the wagon, Slidell's eyes are caught by Vesh's. What he sees there causes him to fidgit, clearly more uncomfortable than he was a moment ago.

"Good job Vesh. Did you kill that one?" Slidell blurts, his arm waving in the general direction of the dead goblin champion. When Vesh instinctively turns to look in the direction of the wave, Slidell whispers, sotto voice, into his ear.
"Sharp eyes should keep a close watch on our rescued peacock. I do not entirely trust him."

When Vesh turns back with a quizzical look, Slidell merely gives him his usual toothy grin, and claps him gently on the shoulder. "Good job. Thanks for the dagger throwing tip!" He then starts to reach for Naelah's shoulder, but a quick glance to Vesh turns it into an awkward stretch. "Keep an eye on her?" He asks Vesh. "I'll go see if Father has any more healing he can spare,..." And resettling his hat on his head, he turns toward the nearby group of warriors and peacock, er nobleman.

Ehlissa wrote:
She continues, "I am aware of the Foxglove family, sir, and it heartens me to see that their line continues, and produces stock worthy to bear the family name." (the latter delivered with a deadpan expression). With an icy regality that her friends have heretofore not seen displayed, she appears to consider the man's offer and says, "Very well, I shall accept your gracious offer; we shall all be seated as one party however. I will not tolerate any division of this band; if you have something to say to me concerning our actions today, then it is also for the ears of my comrades-in-arms. I hope we are agreed on this... So we shall look for you tonight at The Rusty Dragon, sir."

"The Rusty Dragon?" Slidell blurts out, apparently once more his usual self. "Splendid! I've been looking forward to trying Amieko's Famous fish!" He turns to address the nobleman directly. "I hear it's so tender, you don't even need a knife! Knife. Dagger. My Dagger!" He exclaims, patting his waistband frantically. "Where did I put that?!"

"VERAN!" He shouts to the nearby rooftop, where a dark shape can be seen preening itself. "Don't just sit there, make yourself useful. Find my dagger you flying, feathered rodent!" He exclaims with just a BIT more vehemence than Vesh or Naelah have seen him use before.

He hurries off, his long legs carrying him swiftly down the alley, chewing out his familiar all the way. From the sound of the screeching as the dark shape detached itself from the roof and swiftly joined him, he was getting at least as good as he gave.

Yes, due to the battle, Slidell has forgotten that he tried some of Ameiko's fish before all the 'excitement' started!
Unless there is suddenly the sound of more battle, Slidell will; 1)retrieve his dagger from the goblin corpse in the alley.
2) Get sidetracked for bit while he once more examines the goblin corpses he finds near his path for tell-tale signs or interesting bits of flotsam. (Specifically, are these last batch of goblins the same or different than the first 2 groups? Which were different if I recall.)
3)Find the Father, see if he can get or send help (including healing) up the street to where Naelah and Corran are at. And see if the Priest knows of anywhere/one else that needs immediate assistance.


Male Human (Varisian) Spellthief 4 (XP = 6405) as of 7/28, Wrathspawn and Shrine (10,000xp = 5th level)
Slidell wrote:
"Good job. Thanks for the dagger throwing tip!" He then starts to reach for Naelah's shoulder, but a quick glance to Vesh turns it into an awkward stretch. "Keep an eye on her?" He asks Vesh. "I'll go see if Father has any more healing he can spare,..."

Vesh stares at Slidell as he stops to speak with Ehlissa and then strides off berating his raven. As the tall mage disappears down the alley, Vesh turns to Naelah, but his voice seems catch in his throat, so he returns to scratching Veren's ears.

"Ala o shila thath o ala nhesh tha Tamiir-Quah ath theth Slidell? Da shasht the daja athep 'vath' nel a vera khath!" He finally says to her in Shoanti with a smile.

As he looks her in the eyes, his face starts to flush. "Corran!" He says suddenly. "He was wounded. Stay here!" Vesh jumps off the cart. "I'll be back to..." He trails off. "I'll be back."

Vesh turns and walks towards Corran, his face burning red. Fool that I am! He thinks. Am I a giddy boy to be so flustered! I sound like Slidell!

Reaching Corran, he says abruptly, "You were hit!" Looking at the man's shoulder wound, he asks, "Are you alright?"

-----------------------------------------
Shoanti translation:

Spoiler:

"Are you sure that you are from the Wind Clan and not Slidell? He seems to have enough 'wind' for a whole clan!"


Female Human (Shoanti) Druid 3, Sorcerer 1 6,000 XP

Finally, wound-shock from the previous battle set in, and she numbly followed Slidell, her brain not truly registering his concern. When Vesh came to her, he broke her from her torpor when he spoke in her native tongue - it was a slightly different dialect, and the accent could be worked on, but she understood him, responding in kind. "Ash shikh ash etha verath thath she, da ash theth."

When he ran off to see to Corran, she followed feebly. "A kath darath dash, a ratha."

Translations:

Spoiler:

As much as one would think so, he is not. - Ash shikh ash etha verath thath she, da ash theth.

I can help him, a little. - A kath darath dash, a ratha.


Male Human Ranger 1

"I'm fine" Corran says stoically, as he holds a bandage in place over his wounded shoulder. He ignores the footman comment, as he was dealing with his wounds

"At least as long as I don't let another goblin stab or shoot me" Stupid! I practiced for countless hours, and I come up with a boneheaded move like charging an archer with an arrow on his string. I should have used cover, and them I wouldn't be bleeding like a stuck pig. At least my arm seems operational, the arrow went straight through the muscle and didn't break or cut up anything vital.

Gripping his bloody sword in one hand, the other hand pressing the bandage tight, Corran levers himself to his feet and looks around. "Are we needed elsewhere? I don't hear any more alarms, maybe the watch has the goblins under control now?

Corran winces. "And can someone help me secure this bandage? I might need both hands free again soon if more goblins come."

"Is anyone else wounded? I can still fight, so..." He indicates the healing potion. This isn't quite pure bravado and adrenaline from Corran, as he is "only" down to 3 HP out of 10 max. But I won't turn down the potion if no one else needs it more. Or maybe we could save it for later.

And if Corran was paying attention to that "he should try using a shield comment" instead of tending his wounds, Aldern might have been punched in the face ;-)


Female Human (Shoanti) Druid 3, Sorcerer 1 6,000 XP

Her response almost automatic, Naelah quickly binds the bandage around his wounds, helping to stem the blood flow, before muttering something under her breath no-one can quite catch. In response, a soft, warm pulse of energy drifts through the wounded man, the blood flow slowing a little and the sharp edge of his pain fading slightly.

"Better? Even a little? It is not much, what I can do. You need rest. We all do."

Sacrificing a 0-level spell for cure minor wounds.


Male Human (Varisian) Spellthief 4 (XP = 6405) as of 7/28, Wrathspawn and Shrine (10,000xp = 5th level)
Naelah wrote:


"You need rest. We all do."

"Agreed." Vesh regains his composure, and his focus, around Corran. He hands Corran the silver flask of alcohol. "Not a healing draught," he says, "but a draught nonetheless."

"I think Ehlissa and our Noble Cartmeister have the elixir that might help that wound," Vesh says, looking up at Corran as he retrieves his shortsword from the neck of the dead goblin champion, "perhaps there is enough for you both." He looks at Naelah but thankfully does not blush this time.

A frown returns to Vesh's face as he turns his attention to the dead champion, crouching to examine its body and equipment.

Vesh is looking for things that distinguish this goblin from his smaller, non-championish, brethren. He is also looking for anything of value. Vesh's search check is (1d20+6=23).

As he pokes around the goblin's body, he says to Corran without looking up, "It seems as though you've been given a new title." He pauses from his search and with a wry grin at Corran asks, "shall we all call you 'Footman' now?"


Vesh wrote:


A frown returns to Vesh's face as he turns his attention to the dead champion, crouching to examine its body and equipment.

Vesh is looking for things that distinguish this goblin from his smaller, non-championish, brethren. He is also looking for anything of value. Vesh's search check is (1d20+6=23).

Vesh:

Spoiler:

Indeed, the champion is better equipped than his mates. He wears chain armor, that were it not so small, is of fine enough quality that it would do any of you proud. Also, his daggers are not the shiv-strapped-to-a-handle affairs of his fellows, but are forged from pieces of scrap iron. Even the jagged edges appear deliberately designed to maximize the weapons' effectiveness. His bow was shattered by Corran's stroke, but among his arrows, you find two that are of fine quality. Careful examination reveals an arcane rune on the head of each. The other 10 or so arrows are typical goblin junk. In terms of coin, he has little - turning out his belt pouch reveals a handful of coppers so old they are turning green and a half-eaten rat.

The two arrows are +1; the chain shirt and the knives are masterwork quality, though due to their size and origin, don't expect to get much for them


Aldern's invite was for tomorrow. It is very late evening now and you probably all stuffed yourselves at the festival...

Ehlissa wrote:
She continues, "I am aware of the Foxglove family, sir, and it heartens me to see that their line continues, and produces stock worthy to bear the family name." (the latter delivered with a deadpan expression). With an icy regality that her friends have heretofore not seen displayed, she appears to consider the man's offer and says, "Very well, I shall accept your gracious offer; we shall all be seated as one party however. I will not tolerate any division of this band; if you have something to say to me concerning our actions today, then it is also for the ears of my comrades-in-arms. I hope we are agreed on this... So we shall look for you tonight at The Rusty Dragon, sir."

"My Lady, my humblest apologies", Foxglove bows deeply again, thankfully not kissing your hand this time, "I was caught off guard by your noble bearing and sword-skill and mistook these, your companions, for mere servants. Again, I am sorry if I have offended. It has been a trying day. And yes, I very much would like the pleasure of your company ... all of you!"

Slidell wrote:
"The Rusty Dragon..."

"Yes, lad, the Rusty Dragon - and you will have more fish than you can shake your stick at! I will send someone for you tommorrow evening, then. In the meantime, I have a dog to bury and horse to collect."

Foxglove turns to go, then turns back, bows again, and tosses the potion flask to Corran, "Do drink it, sir, you have earned it."

He flashes a brief smile and then trots off calling, "Come back here you blasted nag!", after his skitterish horse.


The following occurs a few minutes after Aldern leaves, but while you are still at the scene of the last fight...

The shadows on Cliff Street have darkened considerably in just the last few minutes. It has been at most half-an-hour since sunset and the initial attack. Here and there, you can see a light in a house, but those around you are dark. Belatedly, a man accompanied by two town guards is making his way towards you lighting the streetlamps.

Your attention is quickly drawn to a commotion from the north. Rounding the corner towards you are a group of town guards lead by Sheriff Hemlock. They are laughing and boasting, but there is also an air of concern and somberness about the group. A few guardsmen are limping or nursing other injuries.

Perhaps, you think, this is the first time they have been in a fight for their lives.

The sheriff calls a halt and a pair of guardsmen bearing lanterns come to the fore illuminating your group. Sheriff Hemlock bows to Naelah and says something in a Shoanti dialect that you are not familiar with and then flashes a quick smile in her direction. It is the first hint of emotion any of you have ever seen in the man.

Naelah:

Spoiler:
Wind daughter, my brother had asked me to keep an eye for you. He worries. I shall tell him to worry more for the goblins.

Addressing the group, "You folk have done well today and earned the thanks of Sandpoint. My men and I have work left to do, but you may go your ways now. I do ask that you stay in town through tomorrow, though. I may want to ask you somewhat concerning this," he gestures to the fallen goblins and blood-stained cobbles of Cliff Street.

Bowing again, the sheriff makes to move on, but is interrupted by Father Zantus. Accompanied by his acolytes, the good Father runs into the middle of the party and pulls the sheriff aside, whispering to him frentically. He then calls over one of the acolytes who also whispers to the sheriff while the other acolyte casts suspicious glances at the party and the guards.

Peception DC 15 to be nosy (come on, you know you want to)

Spoiler:

"Sheriff, there has been a problem at the boneyard. A grave has been dug up! It happened sometime in the last hour. Tevim here was first to notice, when he went to look in on the Shoanti girl..."

"Yes Father, Sheriff; Tobyn's grave it was, Sheriff. And his body is gone though they left the casket. Who done this is evil as they come - diggin' up a priest an' all."

Amid all the hubub, everyone seems to have forgotten about you. As the Father and Sheriff converse off to the side, the lamplighter makes his way past and the town guards, at least those who are not resting by the side of the road, begin to drag the dead and dying goblins out of the street and toss them into a heap in the gutter.

This basically concludes Part 1 of the adventure. 200XP each for the fight + 200XP each for part 1 story award. I think that gets everyone to 920 or something, right?


Female Human (Chelaxian) Knight 1/Fighter 1/Paladin 1 (2)

Nosiness (1d20+1=19)

Watching the retreating figure of Aldern, Ehlissa exhales, and slumps slightly from tiredness, "Gosh," she says, "I think this has to be the most eventful day I've had in quite some time... How are you, Corran? And you, Vesh? I think we made a jolly good team today!" she finishes with a tired smile.

Turning to the indefatigable Slidell and Naelah, she places her hand gently on the Shoanti girl's shoulder, "I knew we had not seen the last of you. Thank you again." she says kindly.

"And, Mr... Stormraven? Well done on your part in the fight, you show rare courage. Or maybe you're as bonkers as I am!" she says more warmly.


Male Human (Varisian) Spellthief 4 (XP = 6405) as of 7/28, Wrathspawn and Shrine (10,000xp = 5th level)

Vesh approaches the group, oblivious to the whispered conversation of the Sheriff and Father Zantus. Vesh's perception check to be nosy (1d20-4=0).

Looking at the exhausted Ehlissa, he says, "Ha! To think I just arrived in Sandpoint this morning! It feels like I've been here for years."

"We have a saying on the Uplands," Vesh continues, addressing the group, " 'To the victor go the spoils.' Unfortunately, the spoils include a half-eaten rat. But," He pauses and produces the champion's two knives and two rune-inscribed arrows, "the big one was carrying these. It's also wearing a nice hauberk. These won't go for much, but a little coin is a little more than I have, at present. And the arrows might prove--useful."
----------------------------
JSL, are you saying that the knives are too small to be used by Medium creatures? And, the arrows? If so, I'd just as soon keep the weapons for the party and divide the few gold pieces that the chain shirt might get us. The half-eaten rat is up-for-grabs.


Female Human (Chelaxian) Knight 1/Fighter 1/Paladin 1 (2)

Ehlissa doesn't really listen to Vesh, having overheard the conversation between the two worthies. When she realises that he's holding the revolting creature's belongings a look of distaste crosses her face. "I really don't think many people will want to buy any of that..." she says with disgust.


Male Human (Varisian) Spellthief 4 (XP = 6405) as of 7/28, Wrathspawn and Shrine (10,000xp = 5th level)
Ehlissa Briez wrote:
Ehlissa doesn't really listen to Vesh, having overheard the conversation between the two worthies. When she realises that he's holding the revolting creature's belongings a look of distaste crosses her face. "I really don't think many people will want to buy any of that..." she says with disgust.

Ignoring her look of disgust, Vesh says, "A well made Hauberk is a well made Hauberk, my lady. I don't hunt for sport, and I don't waste the gifts that others discard. Hard years in Riddleport, I guess."

Addressing the group he continues, "Perhaps we should take the items and decide what to do with them indoors. Is everyone staying at the Rusty Dragon? We could return there. And return these on the way," Vesh indicates his borrowed bow and arrows. "Speaking of which, where is the sailor, Malcolm?"


Female Human (Chelaxian) Knight 1/Fighter 1/Paladin 1 (2)

"That seems like an eminently sensible plan, Vesh." comments Ehlissa, "And as Naelah rightly says, we all need some rest."


Vesh wrote:
JSL, are you saying that the knives are too small to be used by Medium creatures? And, the arrows? If so, I'd just as soon keep the weapons for the party and divide the few gold pieces that the chain shirt might get us. The half-eaten rat is up-for-grabs.

They are light weapons for small creatures so, as medium creatures, you would have a -2 penalty with them. However, since they are masterwork, it would only be -1 total. Still probably worth more in coin than as daggers, if you can find a buyer (see discussion thread)

Sli:

Spoiler:
The most recent group of goblins all have a bird feather motif in their dress and markings. By your reckoning, this is the third distinct set of markings in as many encounters. Very unusual.


Sorry for the delay. I wil post Slidell's usual over-the-top responses when I have more time to write his typical verbose barrage! Should be tonite! :)


Male Human Wizard 2/Sor 1

I WANT to be nosey, I'm just too easily distracted! Got a 9! (THPPT!)

Slidell is within easy listening range of the conversation between the sheriff and the Priest, but doesn't seem to hear a thing they say. He is obviously pre-occupied and pondering aloud. Not bothering to look to see if anyone is paying him any mind.

"Did anyone else notice the feather/bird motif of this last group? I swear that makes at least 3 different, separate tribes of goblins all attacking at the same time. I've never heard of that level of cooperation between goblins before. They are so voracious that they usually spend most of their time fighting among themselves for available resources..." He continues conversing with himself and Veran until he is distracted by being directly addressed by Ehlissa.

Ehlissa wrote:
"And, Mr... Stormraven? Well done on your part in the fight, you show rare courage. Or maybe you're as bonkers as I am!" she says more warmly.

"What?!" Slidell looks up from his one-sided conversation, and seems to recognize Ehlissa as the impact of her words hit him.

"Bonkers? I don't know. I make it a point never to ask a question that I really don't want to know the answer to! As for courage," He continues, looking at her bloodied and disheveled appearance as if a sergeant conducting an inspection, "I at least had my Art to protect me," he taps his still active mystical shield, popping a spark from it to emphasize his point.
"Seems to me that courage is throwing oneself into battle headfirst with 'naught but a 'bit of borrowed lumber twixt yerself and an unknown number of assailants. AND the first command from yer lips bein' the protection of the youngins'." He finished in a distinct brogue.

Ehlissa blinked, for a moment he sounded almost exactly like one of her old drill instructors,...

"All the same," he continued in his normal voice, "If you think I'm as bonkers as you, I'll take that as a compliment!" He grins.
"If you don't mind me saying though,..." He leans forward, looking around conspiratorially to make sure no one else was listening. Which of course they were. And then continues in a stage whisper that carried quite clearly.
"I would be careful of any attention from Mr. Peacock, er,... Foxglove. I don't think he means any HARM, but I did notice slipping his ring off of his finger right before he went to,... 'talk' to you. And judging by the lack of a tan line on his ring finger, AND the well-practiced motion he used to doff it, I suspect that he does so,... frequently."

"With that he straightens back up and continues normally. "Actually, I'm staying at the White deer Inn, as I believe that Naelah is?"

Sorry, have to stop now, will continue later! "to be continued",...


Male Human (Varisian) Spellthief 4 (XP = 6405) as of 7/28, Wrathspawn and Shrine (10,000xp = 5th level)
Slidell Stormraven wrote:
"Actually, I'm staying at the White deer Inn, as I believe that Naelah is?"

Vesh opens his mouth as if to speak, thinks better of it, and remains silent.

Desna has a sense of humor! Vesh looks for the flask and frowns as he remembers he gave it to Corran. Ameiko gives a free room for a good story, perhaps she'll give a drink for a goblin head ... or a half-eaten rat ... or a well crafted hauberk that none will buy!

Vesh walks over to the dead champion, starts to strip off the hauberk, and curses as he unsuccessfully tries to avoid kneeling in blood and viscera. Something is eating at him, and it isn't just his confused feelings for the strange, beautiful Shoanti girl or his inability to decipher the nature of Slidell's friendship with her.

As the bloody hauberk slips free of the champion's corpse, the memory comes rushing back to Vesh, as though removing the hauberk allows him to remember. "Ehlissa! Corran!" He yells as he returns near the group, looking more a butcher than a thief for all the blood on his clothes, "Didn't you tie one of them up?"


Male Human Wizard 2/Sor 1

Meanwhile, back at the insane guys' brain,...er, the ranch!

"Actually, I'm staying at the White deer Inn, as I believe that Naelah is?" He finished with the question looking to Naelah for confirmation.

"At least, that was impression I received when I met her,... This Morning?!? That can't be right!?!,..."

He turns around, muttering, while looking and pointing around in different directions. Finally it becomes obvious that he is literally retracing his steps throughout the day, right up until the final battle a few moments ago.

"Has it only been 4 hours?!?" He asks at last, turning back towards the group, "It seems like I met her at least,... 3 weeks ago!" He turns to Vesh. "And I feel like I've known you at least two!" He stops and grins his irrepressible, contagious grin. "Time flies when your having fun!"

When Naelah makes the comment that everyone needs rest, it is echoed by everyone, including Slidell.

"Well, truth be told, I'm exhausted. And out of spells. I mean OUT. Well,... I do have ONE left,..." He smirks, claps his hands together, and says,
"Now you see it,..." and waves his hand over the torn and bloody clothing covering the wound in Corran's shoulder. After the second pass, the material is as clean as it was that morning. "And now you don't!"

Slidell moves around the small group, giving them all the benefit of his Prestidigitation spell to remove the worst of the day's exertions from their clothing. "Sorry I can't actually repair the clothing itself, That's another spell. Tho why they can't be combined is beyond me. For now." He finishes with a loud grumble.

"OK!" he finishes the last person with a flourish. "THAT'S it. I'm done. Finished. Kaput. No more tricks in the bag! The shows over! ELVISH has left the building! I'm going to bed! As soon as I talk to Quint. QUINT!"
He smacks his forehead, which brings a sharp wince, as if he had injured that spot earlier. "I was supposed to meet with him after the festivities! He had something he wanted to tell me,..."

Slidell begins walking off in an obvious hurry. After about 3 steps he stops and turns around. "I've got to see a man about a,... something. Important. I'll see you in the morning!"
At this point the raven, which been sitting dozing on Slidell's shoulder since he had returned, perks up and caws in his ear.
"What do you mean, 'too late'?!? Of course he'll still want to see us, he said it was important!" Slidell responds as he begins walking again.
The raven comment is lost in the growing distance.
"YOU'RE tired!?! You were on the roof! I was the one casting spells with the buggers trying to chew my leg off!
The exchange continues as the pair pass around the corner.

Slidell will go to Quints' house to see if he is OK, and talk to him about whatever it was that Quint wanted to tell him. Something about the 'Old Light' I think? He will then go crash at his room at the White Deer Inn. When he wakes up,...eventually. He will go and search for his new friends at the Rusty Dragon.

Sorry, BUT I had to end this part with a "Slidell moment!" I will be VERY busy next week. And probably won't be able to post as often as I want. Or at least I wont have time to type my usual novels! The GOOD news is I should be back to 'normal' after Thanksgiving! (Praying to God that I'm right!) So Slidell may be a bit more 'preoccupied than usual,...man thats a scary thought actually,...


JSL wrote:
This basically concludes Part 1 of the adventure. 200XP each for the fight + 200XP each for part 1 story award. I think that gets everyone to 920 or something, right?

Actually, My math currently has Sli at 830XP. Did I miss an 100XP post somewhere?!? (Probably. Comes from playing characters like this. Can you say "TYPECASTING?!?")

Great work everyone. For a minute I thought that 'Champ' was gonna go all Conan on us! This is fun! Thank you all for letting me be a part of this!

@JSL- Keep up the good work! I'm having as much fun in this as I ever have. And I've had some fun games!

@everybody else- keep up the great characterizations, etc. I'm having as much fun reading all your work as I am writing mine!


Female Human (Chelaxian) Knight 1/Fighter 1/Paladin 1 (2)

I also put it at 830 but assumed there was something else to be added.

Ehlissa rises above the seemingly crazed wizard's barrage of talk, "THANK YOU, Mr Stormraven. I shall keep your... observations in mind. Now I suggest you get some rest before your jaw gets worn out."

After he has left... "What a bizarre man..." comments Ehlissa, "I'm glad he was on our side! For a moment there I could have sworn he sounded like old Donnely, the captain of father's household guard... odd."

When vesh comes running over, Ehlissa almost slaps her head in annoyance at herself, "Gosh, yes! Well done, Vesh. I'd completely forgotten! We better go and see what the little blighter has to say for himself."


Female Human (Shoanti) Druid 3, Sorcerer 1 6,000 XP

Perception Check: Perception. (1d20+6=22)

As the storm of activity swirls around her, Naelah slumps back to the place Slidell had led her to only moments ago. Rubbing Veren's head, she hears the healer and one of his followers speaking. Do they think I dug up this person? But, that is not our way? She stays seated where she is as she ponders this conundrum, and gradually, her eyes begin to droop. The combination of radically new experiences, a long journey and a hard battle all converge on her at once. Shaking herself awake, Naelah staggers to her feet. "May the wind carry you all safely." She murmurs tiredly as she limps away from the group towards the Shoanti-owned inn, her grey (and somewhat blood-splattered) wolf following close behind.

I needed to end her this way - I'd been working up to her falling asleep on her feet, so this works good.

920XP? Awesome. 80XP to go! Great job everyone, and thank you JSL for making this game as fun as it is. 5,000 DMXP for JSL!


Male Human (Varisian) Spellthief 4 (XP = 6405) as of 7/28, Wrathspawn and Shrine (10,000xp = 5th level)
Naelah wrote:

"May the wind carry you all safely." She murmurs tiredly as she limps away from the group towards the Shoanti-owned inn, her grey (and somewhat blood-splattered) wolf following close behind.

"Hold," says Vesh to Naelah, "I will walk with you." With that he shoves the goblin's chain shirt at Corran. "Take this to the Rusty Dragon, please. I'll meet you there after a while."

Vesh accompanies Naelah to the White Stag (?) Deer(?) Whatever. We don't have to RP that. He's mostly quiet, anyway. After seeing her safely to the Inn, he says in Shaonti, "I will call upon you and Slidell tomorrow:"

"A var kar iketh o ath Slidell theshelev." He says to Naelah. "Good night."

Vesh, though tired, takes a circuitous route home. Mostly he wants to see what he can see, to sort out his thoughts and feelings, and to "come down" after the battle and the eventful day. JSL, I'm looking for a brief description of the extent of damage that the goblin's caused--whether it was wide-spread or localized. Halfway through his wandering, he finds his way to Ven's house to check on him. An hour or so after taking leave of Naelah, Vesh has seen enough, fatigue sets in, and he heads "home" to the Rusty Dragon.


Male Human Ranger 1

Corran is going to clean his sword blade off, retrieve his shield from Ehlissa, and then head back to the church.

He is going to seek out whoever is in charge of triage, probably Father Zanthus, and then offer them the potion I was given but haven't used yet. I'm assuming that there are many wounded people in town, and others are going to be in need more than I. Corran is at 4/10 HP, so I'm not bad off, essentially a few days rest away from being back to full health

After that, I'll head back the Rusty Dragon, get a meal and say hi to everyone else, then go to bed.


Sorry about the XP confusion. See the discussion thread for an explanation. Basically, I've started handing out 50 x CL /week and have rolled that in with the previous encounter XP.

Is anyone going to get the tied-up goblin?

I'll post updates for everyone tomorrow AM


Male Human (Varisian) Spellthief 4 (XP = 6405) as of 7/28, Wrathspawn and Shrine (10,000xp = 5th level)
JSL wrote:


Is anyone going to get the tied-up goblin?

Not Vesh! He's got other things on his mind. Typical teenager wandering the streets at night.


Male Human Ranger 1
JSL wrote:


Is anyone going to get the tied-up goblin?

It totally slipped Corran's mind in the aftermath of his first real battle... but he'll remember in time to go and collect the little bugger and give him to Hemlock to interogate. Maybe bash him a few times if he is struggling ;-)


Slidell:

Spoiler:

You find Brodert Quink to be his curmudgeonly self. After nearly taking your head off for calling so late, he nearly takes it off again - this time with a mug of spiced tea.

You settle into a less than comfortable chair amongst his endless piles of old books and scrolls. Somewhere in there is a table - you're sure of it - but you dare not set down your mug in case you are wrong. The tea itself is boiling hot and not terribly spicy. In fact, you strongly suspect Brodert has served you a mug of boiling water and whatever flavor it has comes from its last usage, not its current one.

Once you are seated, Brodert, the self-styled "Sage of Sandpoint", lights a stinky old pipe and, mindlessly paces the floor as he regales you with a series of far-fetched asssumptions and theories about supposed remnants of ancient Thassilon in the Sandpoint area. He seems very knowledgable, and his arguments are well constructed, but each of his ideas seems to be missing something vital.

For example, he has a theory that the ruin on the edge of town known as the Old Light was once a war machine capable of spewing fire 50 or more miles across a battlefield. But ask why it is here, or how it was used and he becomes silent for a moment before changing the subject and telling you about some strange symbols carved in the wall of a sea cave not far from the harbor.

Eventually your attention wanes and you find yourself mindlessly flipping through one treatise on Thassilon after another. Suddenly brought to attention by a splash of lukewarm water on your arm, you see that your "tea" has overturned and Brodert has collapsed on a couch and is snoring loudly.

It looks like you will have to let yourself out.

Vesh:

Spoiler:

After escorting Naelah the short distance to the White Deer, you wander aimlessly back towards the Rusty Dragon. Looking more at the shimmering starlight on the water and the cobbles in the streets than where you are going, you are abruptly snapped back to the present as you round a corner and find yourself face to face with a torch wielding pair of town guards. You shink back as you recognize one of them - tall and with a dark, drooping moustache.

"Whoa there, lad. 'Tis not safe to be out - there may still be goblins about. Get ye'self indoors if ye ken what be good for ye."

The guardsman tips his cap, adjusts his torch and they move on. As they disappear, you think you see the moustached guard look back in your direction.

You walk more swiftly now, at first berating yourself for the lapse in attention, then, as your mind begins to process the events of the day, you have a sickening feeling in the pit of your stomach that today is not the first time you have encountered the moustached guard - now that you got a good look at his face you are sure you have seen him before somewhere else.

When you reach the Rusty Dragon, you are relieved to find that Ameiko has set aside a room for you. Your gear is there, neatly laid out at the end of the bed. A bowl of bread and fruit sits on a small table next to a decanter of water and a pair of clean mugs. Though you know in your mind you are hungry, right now it is all you can do to strip off your blood-stained clothes and armor and collapse into bed.

Will do more as I have the time


Female Human (Chelaxian) Knight 1/Fighter 1/Paladin 1 (2)

Ehlissa will also check on the goblin, as well as getting cleaned up. The next morning she'll try to buy some more more impressive clothes than her travelling gear... Kind of weird after a night of goblin attacks but she likes shopping!


Finally - I'm going to be pretty busy this week, so updates might be a bit sporadic. I will try for at least once a day, though

Ehlissa & Corran:

Spoiler:

You return to Church Square. The doors of the cathedral have been propped open casting eerie orangish light about the north end of the square. Guards patrol the perimeter in twos and three, poking their spears under tables and into barrels.

Inside the cathedral you find Father Zantus, Sheriff Hemlock, and a beautiful half-elvish woman who is introduced as Hannah. She is attending to many of the injured, who are spread about the cathedral atrium on a number of benches and couches that have been gathered for that purpose. You are somewhat relieved to see that most of the wounded are guards and that most of the civilian casualties are middle-aged men and women. Given the number of children and older folks you saw at the festival, this could have been much worse.

Father Zantus thanks you for the potion and gives it to Hannah. He is clearly distracted by something. He appears to be trying to have a private conversation with the Sherrif, but is continually interrupted by the milling congregation of wounded.

After just a few minutes in the hot, crowded cathedral you are relieved to return to the cool night air. Across the Square you find your goblin captive in the hands of two burly guardsmen. It looks like they've knocked him about a bit, but since neither of them speaks a word of goblin, they haven't gotten any information out of him.

"Yer welcome to try ye'selves, though," they say, depositing him at your feet heading off to join their fellows.

You can attempt to bully the goblin into giving some useful info. Make a DC 9 Intimidate check. You get a +4 bonus for being bigger.

Success:

Spoiler:
"Don't hurt us poor Mosswoods. It not our fault. Ripnugget - he make us attack longshanks. Ripnugget's fault. Not Mosswoods'." The goblin trails off into unintelligible whimpers...

Failure:

Spoiler:
"You longshanks ain't getting anything out of me!"

Corran & Ehlissa

Spoiler:

You make your way back to the Rusty Dragon. The common room is subdued - only a few patrons are seated around the fire. Ameiko is cleaning up and preparing to lock the doors and close the common room for the night. Given what has transpired this evening, you can't say you blame her. She wishes you well and offers you each a basket of bread and fruit to take to your rooms.

Unless anyone has pressing business to accomplish tonight, I will pick this up tomorrow - both literally and figuratively.


Female Human (Chelaxian) Knight 1/Fighter 1/Paladin 1 (2)

1d20+11=24

Ehlissa will confer with Corran over this info tomorrow


Male Human (Varisian) Spellthief 4 (XP = 6405) as of 7/28, Wrathspawn and Shrine (10,000xp = 5th level)

Zzzzzzz.


Female Human (Shoanti) Druid 3, Sorcerer 1 6,000 XP

Lol.

Also zzzz-ing. No fun for you Slidell!

Oh, and Veren is zzzz-ing also.


Male Human Wizard 2/Sor 1

Slidell Snaps his fingers and says 'Shucks!' Lol

Slidell looks at the loudly snoring Quint, then explaims "Doh!" And starts to smack his forehead. But stops half thru the motion, obviously thinks better about mistreating his oft-abused forehead anymore today, and sighs as he lowers his hand.

"I was going to ask him about the Ripper case, to see if he knew if there were any other unusual happings at the same time. Oh well, there's always tommorrow, right Veran? Veran?" He looks around to find his familiar perched on top of a particularly unstable looking pile of books, his head under his wing.

Smiling, Slidell covers Quint with what looks to be either a very thin sheet, or a very dirty tablecloth that belongs to the undiscoverable table. Still smiling, he picks up his familiar, tucks him into his cloak, and lets himself out of Quint's abode, closing the door behind him.

'Ye gods and goddesses, but I AM tired! I don't think I've ever cast EVERY spell I had memorized in such a short amount of time before. And then there was that, acid blob, I didn't even know I could cast. That Varisian Tattoo certainly was worth all of the trouble I went thru to aquire it! Interesting reaction tho, I feel like I'm on the verge of, something. If I could only put my finger on it.

Slidell walks doggedly thru the now empty streets, his staff the only sound he hears in the night as he leans on it more than would care to admit. Finally he stumbles up to the door of the White Deer Inn, and is admitted by the Shoanti innkeeper himself. Slidell smiles at the man's dedication to the safety of the guests under his roof. But to the large Shoanti's relief, Slidell is too tired to do more than nod in appreciation and stumble up the stairs.

He pauses only once more on the way to his room. At a door that carries the distinctive sound of a canine snoring from the other side. Smiling wryly at something only he can see, as well as at his own unusual feelings, Slidell stumbles to his own room.

Slidell go nighty-night now! Sorry to dissapoint you Naelah! But,...ZZZzzzzzzz,...;P


You awake the next morning to urgent knocking at your door. Pulling on some clothes and grabbing a weapon or wrought iron candlestick, you open the door a crack expecting the worst only to see a fellow dressed in a fine suit of blue-grey trousers and a white tunic emblazoned with the Seal of the Town of Sandpoint. He is accompanied by two dour looking town guards. Blissfully unaware of the early hour, the fellow breaks into a wide grin and bows foppishly before presenting you a sealed parchment and a small velvet bag. Not waiting for any response, he bows again, still smiling and backs away down the hall. The guards, shrugging apologetically, follow him.

The parchment is sealed with the personal crest of the Deverin family - crossed sheaves of wheat against a background of rolling hills with a stylized letter D in the foreground. Opening it you find it addressed to you personally:

The Town of Sandpoint is fortunate to have Heroes such as you and your Companions to Aid us in our time of Need. Please accept the enclosed as a Gift of our Humble Gratitude.

I would also like to formally invite you to a Ceremony in your Honor to be held at City Hall in Three Days time. My fellow Councilors and I hope you have an Enjoyable and Pleasant remainder of your stay in Sandpoint.

Warmest Regards

Mayor Kendra Deverin

The bag contains 15 platinum coins bearing the royal seal of Magnimar.

After you clean up and get dressed, you head downstairs to the common room, hoping for a good, quiet meal and looking forward to rejoining your comrades from the previous night.

Instead, you are greeted with cheers and warm applause from the gathered citizens. Men and women both crowd about to pat you on the back or shake your hand. As you search the crowded room for a familiar face, people move over and squeeze together offering you vacant seats at their tables. Finally, you spy those who you are looking for, themselves navigating the sea of exuberance and praise. Relieved, you settle together at a table. Plates of steaming food arrive, courtesy of the House, you are told, and the crowd abates somewhat. However, you still have the vague feeling that many are eyeing you expectantly.

Let me know if you have any specific plans for the day. Otherwise, there is supper with Aldern Foxglove in the evening.


Female Human (Chelaxian) Knight 1/Fighter 1/Paladin 1 (2)

Buying noble outfit (fashionable yet understated) if poss. with jewellery (the same qualification applies)! :D


Male Human (Varisian) Spellthief 4 (XP = 6405) as of 7/28, Wrathspawn and Shrine (10,000xp = 5th level)
JSL wrote:


The bag contains 15 platinum coins bearing the royal seal of Magnimar.

Vesh shakes his head in disbelief. Never in his life has he had 15 platinum coins that he could call his own. He adds the fifteen coins to his money pouch and then, yawning, reaches to the fruit basket from last night and munches on a very sweet late-season grape. Spitting the seed out, he crosses the room--limping slightly from a soreness in his left leg--and considers himself in the cloudy mirror over the small table that holds a wash basin and a jug of water.

He has blood on his forehead and in his hair and on his arms. Stripping his long undershirt off, he begins to scrub the blood off of his skin. The weight of the battle seems to tumble down upon him as he sees the water in the basin become redder and redder.

His clothes are a mess, but there is not as much blood as there ought to be. He wonders on this and has a vague memory of Slidell casting some sort of spell on his clothing; he has a vision of the mage practically prancing around the party, magically siphoning blood and dirt from their clothes. The image makes Vesh laugh. Vesh is thankful to the mage for his prancing as he pulls the well-used, if not completely soiled, clothes on.

A frown returns to his face as he dons his armor. I will have to get my hauberk sand-cleaned, he decides. Vesh draws his shortsword and makes sure it is clean before returning it to it sheath and wearing it. He does the same with his daggers and his bow and arrows, along with the borrowed bow and arrows. I wonder where Malcolm 'procured' these? He leaves the balance of his gear locked in his room, but feels the weight of the money pouch on his belt; it feels foreign to him to be so full.

JSL wrote:

After you clean up and get dressed, you head downstairs to the common room, hoping for a good, quiet meal and looking forward to rejoining your comrades from the previous night.

Instead, you are greeted with cheers and warm applause from the gathered citizens...

Vesh is stunned. The sea of smiling faces and the mixed sounds of clapping and cheery voices are overwhelming, and for a moment he considers returning to his room and leaving out the window. He thinks better of it, and. Seeing Corran, Ehlissa, and Malcolm, Vesh wades through the crowd towards them.

JSL wrote:
Relieved, you settle together at a table....

"Good morning!" Vesh says to his companions, "I trust that you were awakened by the same skinny messenger as me?"

I've read through JSL's post on resizing loot on the discussion thread, and I think I get it. Let's start a conversation over there on what we're going to do with the goblin stuff.


Male Human Ranger 1

Corran is going to stare awestruck at the 15 platinum coins, then go looking for a sparring partner or a practice field of sorts.

Then I'll spend the day working on my melee skills, since I feel I was lacking in the last fight. The arrow in the shoulder was unavoidable in that situation, but letting the goblin leader through my guard to slice me? Unacceptable.

I'll be back in time to wash up before dinner.


Female Human (Chelaxian) Knight 1/Fighter 1/Paladin 1 (2)

ok... looking at prices... maybe just a courtier's outfit... :D


Corran wrote:

Corran is going to stare awestruck at the 15 platinum coins, then go looking for a sparring partner or a practice field of sorts.

Then I'll spend the day working on my melee skills, since I feel I was lacking in the last fight. The arrow in the shoulder was unavoidable in that situation, but letting the goblin leader through my guard to slice me? Unacceptable.

I'll be back in time to wash up before dinner.

For Corran:

Spoiler:

You take your leave of the party and head for the town garrison figuring they should have enough space and proper equipment for military drills. Outside you notice that the goblin damage at this end of town was minimal - the occasional overturned cart or freshly rummaged garbage pile being the only indication of last night's events. But as you approach the north end of town, signs of violence are more common. You see blood spattered on the cobblestones, discarded weapons, dead animals, and even the occasional goblin (or portion thereof) lying in a ditch.

A pair of guards is making their way through town with a wagon collecting what debris and offal they can. Townsfolk mill about aimlessly or peer out from behind curtained windows apparently undecided as to whether they want to get involved. The guards acknowledge you with a curt nod as you pass. Taking this as a cue, a pair of young boys begin following you and an old lady presses a loaf of warm bread into your hand, thanking you profusely.

You find the garrison as you expected. There are only half a dozen guards here and, though they all seem to be nursing injuries, their spirits are high. They are practicing with swords and spears on the dry field in the center of the garrison. Recognizing you as a fellow man-at-arms, they hail you and invite you to drill with them.

The day passes quickly and you find the guards to be good company. Many are from backgrounds similar to yours - sons of farmers following family traditions of service. They speak of marriage and settling down to their own homesteads some day. The goblin raid was a concern, but they defended the town and are quite proud of the accomplishment. The goblins are fast and troublesome, but not that well organized.

As the day wears on, guards come and go. Eventually Sheriff Hemlock pays a visit to the field. At first he sternly watches over the drills in progress. Then he steps in to demonstrate or assist a guardsman. He watches you drill first with an air of indifference, then amusement as you demonstrate your sword-and-shield technique to the detriment of your sparring partner. Ever soft-spoken, the sheriff gives you a few words of advice: "keep your weight back, remember your footwork", that sort of thing. Fundamentals. He is very precise - for a Shoanti.

By the end of the day, you have made frieds of several of the guardsmen and feel that you have learned a thing to two besides.

If you want to talk to the sheriff or guardsmen, let me know and we can work that in.


Ehlissa Briez wrote:
ok... looking at prices... maybe just a courtier's outfit... :D

Ehlissa:

Spoiler:
The Sandpoint Boutiqe across the street from the Rusty Dragon offers a number of fine Varisian goods including clothing. You could probably find something there quite unlike the shops in Magnimar. I think a noble's outfit is 75 gp, right?

351 to 400 of 2,491 << first < prev | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / JSL's Runelords Campaign All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.