Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
About Paizo Messageboards News Paizo Blog Help/FAQ
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

JSL's Runelords Campaign


Play-by-Post

2,401 to 2,450 of 2,491 << first < prev | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | next > last >>

Male Human (Varisian) Spellthief 4 (XP = 6405) as of 7/28, Wrathspawn and Shrine (10,000xp = 5th level)
Slidell Stormraven wrote:

He sits back and takes another sip.

"So, how was your afternoon?"

Vesh scratches his forehead a moment before saying, "Well..."

He then relates the story of his encounter with Hannah in great detail, hoping that the mage might have some insight into her evasive behavior.


As you all go about your business, the shadows grow long and the late afternoon gives way to evening. Salome wanders the mercantile district examining fine yarns and used looms. Zieke fusses with his new outfit in the privacy of his room at the garrison. Vesh, Mal, and Slidell spin tales of the day's adventures at the Rusty Dragon. And Ehlissa cleans up after a day of hard training at the garrsion practice grounds.

Finally, the sense of anticipation that has built over the day comes to a head. The first indication of something happening is a lone rider galloping through town at full speed. Heads turn and doors open. Minutes later, the call goes up, "The Sheriff has returned! Belor is back!" Youth run in the streets and people old and young crowd to the windows and doors as nearly the entire town turns out to watch a troop of ragged Magnimarian recruits march through town to the garrison. The show is quickly over as the last of the soldiers disappears into the walled fort and the giant double doors swing closed.

You know what is coming and don't have long to wait. Within the hour, guardsmen seek you out and invite you to an audience with the Mayor and Sheriff.

After a moment of preparation, you are escorted to the Town Hall and assembled in the same room where you had your earlier meeting with Sandpoint's Finest. Mayor Deverin and Sheriff Hemlock are there waiting for you. The Sheriff looks haggard and exhausted, but is standing ramrod straight and wearing a fresh dress uniform complete with a red sash and ceremonial sword.

He returns Zieke's salute and greets the others with a curt Shoanti bow.

The Mayor greets everyone by name and invites you all to be seated. Sheriff Hemlock is last to take his seat. Water is brought in a large pitcher and glasses are placed before everyone. After a few nervous moments, the Mayor addresses those assembled.

"Welcome home, Belor. I have received your unofficial report and that will suffice for now. However, while you were away, these folks have uncovered more evidence of evil happenings within - and below - the town. I would like you to hear their report before you retire for the night. Then we can discuss a course of action tomorrow. I would like to be resolved on a course of action before the coming council meeting."

The Sheriff nods, "Very well. Proceed."

The floor is yours...

ASIDE: the council meeting is not today. Today is Wednesday. The council meets on Monday. That is probably not enough time to finish the module, but definitely enough to resolve pending business in town and be on to whatever comes next.


Male Half-Elf Fighter 1 / Monk 1
JSL wrote:
The Sheriff nods, "Very well. Proceed."

"Apparently, Sandpoint is built upon extensive ruins below the Glassworks," Zieke begins, "These heroes found them after rescuing Ameiko, slaying several more goblins, and capturing her half-brother Tsuto...who murdered Lonjiku Kaijitsu. The little monsters found their way up into the Glassworks using an old smuggler's tunnel...and that's probably what they used on the attack at the Swallowtail Festival, too."

He gestures vaguely towards Slidell and Vesh. "They also found a journal on Tsuto," he continues, "Seems like he helped plan the attack. But he also goes on about another one. A bigger attack that will overwhelm Sandpoint. He claims Nualia...Tobyn's daughter who supposedly burned up in the cathedral fire...is leading it. She's tied up with Lamashtu somehow and planned on using this she-devil from those ruins to help her. Only we found the...quasit?...first. Killed it before it could do anymore harm. Lots of strange creatures down there, too. Wrathspawn I believe someone called them?"

He then indicates Salome. "This lady of Sarenrae led the fight, and with her goddess' blessing, removed the taint of Lamashtu from an ancient shrine belowground. The threat to the town should now be ended...at least from that source."

"But if Tsuto's journal can be trusted," he adds, "And I assume it can. Then Nualia is alive and well. She's got every intention of putting together an army of goblins backed by more of Lamashtu's followers...and then razing all of Sandpoint. It appears she might be putting this force together somewhere around Thistletop. Now before you decide to rouse the newly-arrived recruits and ride out to meet them, I think it would be better if me and these heroes investigated first. Give us a chance to undo what Nualia might be planning...to take out whatever lieutenants she's picked to lead such a force. And, in the meantime, you and maybe Corran, could see that the new recruits are trained and ready in the event the goblins march on the town."

He glances around at the others. "Did I leave anything out?"


Male Human Wizard 2/Sor 1

Other than we didn't capture Tsuto, he got away in the tunnels when we first met the wrathspawn, a very good summary. And thank you for skipping the part where I lit myself on fire! :)

"Not That I can think of." Slidell says, rubbing his chin. "I believe that you have covered all the highlights. A very succinct synopsis, thank you Zieke." He stretches, his long legs reaching out, and sits up taller.

"I have to agree with Zee here, there are several clues, both blatant and subtle, that all seem to indicate Thistletop." He says with a swift glance at Salome. "Whatever is going on, It does seem to be centered there. And in general, a small group of specialists historically have more success with a quiet infiltration than a large group would have 'storming the castle', as it were."

"Not to mention, there are indications that this Nualia has, made deals with dark powers. If Tsutso's diary/sketchbook is at all accurate, there are at least physical transformations involved, and possibly other abilities as well. I'm sure that your recruits are willing and able, but I highly doubt they are prepared to counter either demonic or mystical abilities, whereas Salome and I are both well-trained and experienced in such matters."

Room for response,...

"Mayor, I do have one request. You were kind enough to offer us a retainer to help protect the town. That offer was originally made to our former companion as well, whom regrettably has chosen to leave us. Salome's assistance was more than vital in the last few days. I think I speak for all of us when I say that we wouldn't have been able to do it, Shards and Shells, we probably wouldn't be alive, without her. I wonder if you might consider extending your previous offer to her? I can assure you from experience that her faith and skill are unparalleled. Um,... IF she wants it, of course." He says with a questioning look at Salome. "I can assure you, between keeping us alive despite all odds, and sanctifying an unholy shrine, she's defintely earned it!" He smiles.


Female Human Cleric
Slidell Stormraven wrote:
"...And in general, a small group of specialists historically have more success with a quiet infiltration than a large group would have 'storming the castle', as it were."

Quiet? Salome thinks to herself. With him around? But she wisely holds her tongue.

Slidell Stormraven wrote:
"Mayor, I do have one request..."

By way of response, Salome simply offers a Qadiran bow to the mayor. "As you so choose," she says, respectfully not making eye contact.


Female Human (Chelaxian) Knight 1/Fighter 1/Paladin 1 (2)

"Good Lady!" cries Ehlissa with feeling, "What more do we need? Whilst we're talking, that witch is concocting some new scheme to raze her former home. It's very clear what our next move is."

She addresses the room, "I believe that we have enough evidence to indicate that Thistletop is where we need to be. The time to be there is now! Anything else is academic and will waste time. Lady willing, we'll bring the traitoress back here, and she will answer any questions you lot have anyway!"

"Any supplies that the town can provide would be gratefully received, Mayor. Would mounts for my companions stretch the town's finances? I am reluctant to leave my steed behind when her speed could be to the advantage."


Male Half-Elf Fighter 1 / Monk 1
Ehlissa Briez wrote:
"Any supplies that the town can provide would be gratefully received, Mayor. Would mounts for my companions stretch the town's finances? I am reluctant to leave my steed behind when her speed could be to the advantage."

"Horses might get us there faster, sweetheart," Zieke replies, "And they'd strike fear in the hearts of any goblins we might charge into...but rest assured, if they find them while we're trying to get into Thistletop, there won't be anything left of them when we get back."

"As for the priestess here," he adds, nodding toward Salome, "I agree with the wizard. She was absolutely instrumental in eliminating ever threat under the Glassworks. And I have no doubt she'd prove valuable if we head for Thistletop as well."

OOC: Apologies on the earlier gaffe regarding Tsuto. I thought you guys captured him. But if he got away...hmmm, it ought to be fun catching up with him again. And this time, with Zieke on your side...! ;-D


Female Human (Chelaxian) Knight 1/Fighter 1/Paladin 1 (2)

"Hmm well I suppose you're right, the beasts! I just think we should get there as soon as possible. And of course Salome should be counted as one of our number, we wouldn't be here without her!" she says passionately.


The Mayor and Sheriff patiently listen to your exploits of the last several days. Although he is following every word, you also see the Sheriff rub his temples and blink his eyes more than once. Clearly the man is hanging on the verge of total exhaustion. Though less haggard, you also see lines of concern and worry etched in the Mayor's expression.

As you wrap up the summary with your suspicions about Nualia, the Mayor and Sheriff exchange another worried glance, but hold their peace.

Perception DC 18:

Spoiler:

In the brief instant their eyes lock, the Mayor mouths "Hannah" and the Sheriff nods slightly.

Finally, the Mayor sighs heavily and looks squarely at Sheriff Hemlock. He rises and bows again to each of you, pausing to shake Zieke's hand, and then somewhat to your surprise, takes his leave.

Before you can question the Sheriff's departure, the Mayor settles everyone down. But before she can speak, Slidell begins:

Slidell wrote:
"Mayor, I do have one request. You were kind enough to offer us a retainer to help protect the town. That offer was originally made to our former companion as well, whom regrettably has chosen to leave us. Salome's assistance was more than vital in the last few days. I think I speak for all of us when I say that we wouldn't have been able to do it, Shards and Shells, we probably wouldn't be alive, without her. I wonder if you might consider extending your previous offer to her?

"As long as we are on the subject," Mayor Deverin replies, "Here is the 2,000 crowns I promised for removal of the Glassworks threat." She places a heavy bag of coins on the table before you.

"Now, as regards your retainer with the Town of Sandpoint, it is with a heavy heart that I must thank you for your service and release you from your obligation. The Sheriff's return bolsters our defense and makes your continued employment unnecessary. There is enough beyond the 2,000 in that bag to cover all that you are owed - including Salome, if that is your wish."

"Again, I'm sorry, but this applies to Zieke as well." She addresses the warrior directly, "We are in your debt, but the time of your employment by Sandpoint must come to an end."

"Thank you all again." She says earnestly and rises to leave, but pauses as Ehlissa speaks.

Ehlissa wrote:
She addresses the room, "I believe that we have enough evidence to indicate that Thistletop is where we need to be. The time to be there is now! Anything else is academic and will waste time. Lady willing, we'll bring the traitoress back here, and she will answer any questions you lot have anyway!"

"If that is your wish. I only ask that you finish your business in town tomorrow and depart with all haste." And with that, she exits leaving you to consider the bag of coins and your newfound freedom.

Wisdom or Nobility DC 12:

Spoiler:

Although she has just "dismissed" you from the Town, you also realize that the Mayor has uncluttered the political turmoil surrounding your employment. By releasing you from service, she bears no responsibility for your actions. She also allows the Sheriff to maintain his honor by not undercutting his authority. And finally, even though she is not directly paying you, your relationship is clear enough that Scarnetti will not be able to capitalize overmuch on your success (if any).

The bag:

Spoiler:

The bag contains 250 platinum coins and a parchment bearing the Mayor's personal seal. It is a map of the Lost Coast region showing Sandpoint and a dot off the coast about a day's ride to the north labeled "Thistletop".

To the side is scratched "Good Luck!" in the Mayor's handwriting.


Female Human (Chelaxian) Knight 1/Fighter 1/Paladin 1 (2)

Wisdom (1d20+0=13)

Gosh, she's a clever cove!

When the bag is opened, Ehlissa is gratified to see the contents.


Male Human Wizard 2/Sor 1

Sli's Wis check: (1d20=19)

OK, I think that IC is trying to lull me into a false sense of security,... ;P

"Ah, I understand. I am only glad we could be of some small service." Slidell says calmly. TOO calmly, considering his usual reactions.
Slidell stands and bows as the Mayor departs. As the door door closes behind her, he claps softly, smiling. "Well done. Well done indeed m'lady."

The mage joins Ehlissa in grinning as the contents of the bag are revealed.


Female Human (Chelaxian) Knight 1/Fighter 1/Paladin 1 (2)

"So, we're off! And not a moment too soon, eh, Professor?" the young warrior says to Slidell.


Male Half-Elf Fighter 1 / Monk 1
JSL wrote:
As you wrap up the summary with your suspicions about Nualia, the Mayor and Sheriff exchange another worried glance, but hold their peace.

Perception check... (1d20+6 = 19)

Zieke just happens to be sitting at an angle where he can see the Mayor's mouth move and he frowns, not completely understanding the significance of her words to the Sheriff, but noting them for later in case they prove important.

JSL wrote:
"Now, as regards your retainer with the Town of Sandpoint, it is with a heavy heart that I must thank you for your service and release you from your obligation....Again, I'm sorry, but this applies to Zieke as well." She addresses the warrior directly, "We are in your debt, but the time of your employment by Sandpoint must come to an end."

Zieke seems stunned and crestfallen by this news. His mouth opens, but he's completely at a loss for words. His gaze, however, holds the Mayor's eyes for a long moment.

'Is this because of our talk together?' he wonders, 'Was I too forward to encourage her to confide in me about her troubles with Scarnetti? Or did she cut some kind of deal with Hemlock to persuade him to stay in Sandpoint and train the recruits as long as she could cut me free? What the hell is she doing? This isn't a time to cast off potential allies...including all of these other folks. They're the real heroes of Sandpoint...the ones who made a difference! And the ones that can continue to make a difference if she would only...'

Zieke's thoughts are scattered as Ehlissa makes her bold statement and intentions about heading to Thistletop clear to the Mayor. He almost misses Deverin's reply...

JSL wrote:
"If that is your wish. I only ask that you finish your business in town tomorrow and depart with all haste." And with that, she exits leaving you to consider the bag of coins and your newfound freedom.

Wisdom check... (1d20 = 6)

Slidell Stormraven wrote:
"Ah, I understand. I am only glad we could be of some small service." Slidell says calmly. TOO calmly, considering his usual reactions. Slidell stands and bows as the Mayor departs. As the door door closes behind her, he claps softly, smiling. "Well done. Well done indeed m'lady."

Zieke looks at Slidell like he's lost his mind again.

Ehlissa Briez wrote:
"So, we're off! And not a moment too soon, eh, Professor?" the young warrior says to Slidell.

Finally Zieke can no longer hold his tongue.

"What are you two talking about?!" he exclaims, "Don't you see?! She's cast us off! Here we are trying to help this town and she takes away every bit of support for our efforts except a thank-you-very-much-please-be-on-your-way! Is she kidding? This is ridiculous! Has someone duped her? Did some witch allied with Nualia put a charm on her?! I've got half a mind to march out there and tell her off right to her face! And to think I bought this damn suit to try and fit into the local politics!"

Zieke punctuates his last statement by tugging at the uncomfortable collar that's been choking him all night...

"And why the hell was she saying the name 'Hannah' to the Sheriff?" he asks aloud, "What part does she have to play in all this...? Did she somehow convince them of this madness?"

OOC: Yeah, that 10 Wis and 10 Cha are rearing their ugly head again. Zieke is too thick-skulled to pick up on the subtlety of Deverin's move and proceeds to shoot his mouth off in a complete misunderstanding. Hopefully, one of you wiser folks can set him straight before he causes any permanent damage to his relationship with the powers-that-be in Sandpoint. ;-D


Female Human (Chelaxian) Knight 1/Fighter 1/Paladin 1 (2)

Ehlissa looks at Zieke and very gently adjusts the collar, "Shh, it's fine. The cut of this particular collar is rather high, and I think she might have put too much starch in it. Once you've worn it in, you'll not notice it, trust me. It suits you. Seriously."

After distracting him with a discussion of noble attire, she continues with a smile, "The Mayor has just got herself and us out of a very tricky situation politically. And rather well too. She's paid us off, yes, but more than enough, and in one lump sum. We're no longer part of her 'faction' as it were, and we're free agents. That and we have a map." At that she grins.

"Don't worry; this is even better than before in many ways. Be careful though; wearing suits like that can lead you into more danger than if you went around showing a longsword. But for tonight, enjoy it. Like you say, it will be a difficult journey ahead... Zieke." she adds, not without some warmth.


Female Human Cleric

Cross-post. I'm too lazy to re-edit everything I just wrote.
Perception check (1d20+6=24)

Salome notes the Mayor and Sheriff's discomfort then notices the Mayor mouth something to Hemlock. Hannah? What does she have to do with this? Salome wonders.

Wisdom check (1d20+3=22)

Re-post:
By way of response, Salome simply offers a Qadiran bow to the mayor. "As you so choose," she says, respectfully not making eye contact. "May the Lady of the Dawn smile upon you, Sandpoint, and those who protect it."

Once the mayor leaves, Salome feels impressed to calm the exuberance of the youths as the coinage glitters in their eyes. "I know almost nothing of Thistletop, but it sounds like we are heading into the snakes' den. Let us be certain that we are fully prepared before we leave. We all need to replenish our gear. And I believe there are still some questions remaining that require answers," she looks directly at Slidell. Then, addressing the group she adds, "Meet me at the White Deer for dinner tonight. There are fewer ears in the walls."


Male Half-Elf Fighter 1 / Monk 1
Ehlissa Briez wrote:
Ehlissa looks at Zieke and very gently adjusts the collar, "Shh, it's fine. The cut of this particular collar is rather high, and I think she might have put too much starch in it. Once you've worn it in, you'll not notice it, trust me. It suits you. Seriously."

Zieke's anger seems to sputter out like a candle in a windstorm, replaced by utter confusion and awkwardness as Ehlissa fusses with his collar.

Ehlissa Briez wrote:
"The Mayor has just got herself and us out of a very tricky situation politically. And rather well too. She's paid us off, yes, but more than enough, and in one lump sum. We're no longer part of her 'faction' as it were, and we're free agents. That and we have a map." At that she grins.

"A map?" Zieke pauses as he sees Slidell holding up the parchment, "Let me see that..." After taking the map in hand and recognizing the Mayor's scrawl, realization starts to dawn on him.

"By the gods," he mutters, "That is one cagey woman."

Ehlissa Briez wrote:
"Don't worry; this is even better than before in many ways. Be careful though; wearing suits like that can lead you into more danger than if you went around showing a longsword. But for tonight, enjoy it. Like you say, it will be a difficult journey ahead... Zieke."

Zieke exhales, releasing any of his remaining adrenalin at being cut loose from the town guard. As he considers the freedom this will now afford him, he understands the Mayor gave him exactly what he wanted...as well as what she needed, politically-speaking. A wry grin crosses his face and he regards Ehlissa once more.

"That it will, sweetheart." He slowly starts nodding as he imagines the trail ahead and what they'll need to plan out their trip. "That it will..."

OOC: Ah, perfect, Fabes!


Female Human Cleric

...As everyone leaves the mayor's office, Salome lags behind to converse with Zieke. "Sometimes in times of darkness, the path is lit only one or two steps ahead, but it is still your path. And you are still blessed for you walk with friends." Without waiting for an invitation, Salome follows Zieke into the cool evening air.

It seems like Salome and Zieke are both in planning mode. Salome is also inclined to offer some words of comfort or wisdom as Zieke vacates the barracks.

One more thought. Would it be appropriate for Zieke to roll a Knowledge(Local) check for information about Hannah and other oddities?


Male Half-Elf Fighter 1 / Monk 1
Salome wrote:
As everyone leaves the mayor's office, Salome lags behind to converse with Zieke. "Sometimes in times of darkness, the path is lit only one or two steps ahead, but it is still your path. And you are still blessed for you walk with friends." Without waiting for an invitation, Salome follows Zieke into the cool evening air.

"Friends?" Zieke wonders aloud as he falls into step with the priestess, "Can't say as I have that many friends in these parts. Acquaintances, yes. People that count on me to do a job, certainly. But I'm an outsider here. I wandered into Sandpoint and stayed for awhile. Now I'm free to move on, but I'm not so sure I want to anymore. Besides, I think I've got a lot more in common with you five. I'm confident I can make a difference here, even if I have to do it outside the 'official' sanction and support of the council."

"And you're right about Thistletop," he tells her, "A bigger snake's den of goblins you'll never see. We'll have our work cut out for us there. But I think we'll do fine as long as we keep faith in one another, as well as your Lady of Light. She certainly saw us through those last couple of scrapes."

Salome wrote:
One more thought. Would it be appropriate for Zieke to roll a Knowledge(Local) check for information about Hannah and other oddities?

Unfortunately, I didn't have Zieke take any ranks in Knowledge (local)...though in retrospect, I regret that, given that he's supposed to be helping guard the town...but I guess with him being on the outskirts and patrolling the wilderness more, it makes some sense that he doesn't have it yet. It also appears Knowledge (local) can't be used untrained, so I can't even make an Intelligence check for it, unless JSL rules otherwise.


Male Human Wizard 2/Sor 1

Slidell chortles at Zieke's initial outburst, but seems content to let the ladies explain the situation to him. HE is steepling his fingers, and staring at what appears to be a spot in space. but he smiles as realization dawns on Zieke.

"Yes. She is very clever. She has managed to get us 'out of the way', where she cannot be blamed for any toes we might step on, and yet our relationship is with her is well-known enough that there is no way others could claim any success we might have as their own. I knew I liked her!" He grins, looking back at the others once more.

"You are correct Salome, as usual,... Let us retire to more friendly walls, and lay out our plans. I could use a week or more to make some preparations, but Mayor Deverin was quite clear that she would like us to get started as soon as possible. She is obviously as concerned as we are."

HE follows the others out, unaware, or uncaring, that they are holding their own conversations.

"Now, what was all that about Hannah Zieke? Vesh, when we get back to the Dragon, maybe you should tell everyone what you told me earlier,..."

NICE work everybody! SOrry I missed entering the usual Sli chatter at teh right moments, I could have REALLY confused Z! ;)


Female Human (Chelaxian) Knight 1/Fighter 1/Paladin 1 (2)

Anyone can make Knowledge checks untrained but they can only get up to DC 10 information

"I don't know why I called you Professor, just then," Ehlissa says to Slidell, "I suppose... you reminded me of someone. But I don't know who! How silly!"


Male Half-Elf Fighter 1 / Monk 1
Ehlissa Briez wrote:
Anyone can make Knowledge checks untrained but they can only get up to DC 10 information

Well, in that case, I'd roll a Knowledge (local) check, but Invisible Castle is down. Rolling here at work yields a... 1d20+2 = 13+2 = 15. So clue me in if Zieke knows anything helpful, JSL.


Male Human Wizard 2/Sor 1
Ehlissa Briez wrote:

Anyone can make Knowledge checks untrained but they can only get up to DC 10 information

"I don't know why I called you Professor, just then," Ehlissa says to Slidell, "I suppose... you reminded me of someone. But I don't know who! How silly!"

Slidell smirks slightly at Ehlissa, "No problem. It's certainly not an insult! At least where I come from. I kind of like the sound of it actually,... 'Professor Slidell',... No. 'Professor Stormraven'! Yes, that has a nice ring to it, don't you think?" HE winks at Ehlissa, then turns to the raven.

"What do think Veran? Shall I introduce myself as 'Professor' from now on?"

The look the raven gives 'The Professor' sends the tall mage into fits of laughter as he strides down the street.

So, FAbes, are you psychic? Or did I mention that earlier? Because my OTHER primary username, also an RPG character based on the "good Doctor", is 'The Professor'! ;D


Female Human (Chelaxian) Knight 1/Fighter 1/Paladin 1 (2)

Ehlissa joins in with Slidell's laughter as they walk into the clean, bright air.

Well we did say earlier that Slidell and Ehlissa are rather like the Doctor and Ace!


Zieke Halveran wrote:
Ehlissa Briez wrote:
Anyone can make Knowledge checks untrained but they can only get up to DC 10 information
Well, in that case, I'd roll a Knowledge (local) check, but Invisible Castle is down. Rolling here at work yields a... 1d20+2 = 13+2 = 15. So clue me in if Zieke knows anything helpful, JSL.

The following info on Hannah is common knowledge:

Hannah has lived in Sandpoint practically since the town's founding 40+ years ago. She is half-elven, which explains her still relatively youthful appearance. She is a lay healer (i.e., not a classed cleric) and is not associated with any one faith; but she is known to make offerings to Iomedae, Sarenrae, and Pharasma as suits the occasion. Throughout her tenure in Sandpoint, she is best known for her work as a midwife. Though not the only such person in town, she is clearly the most experienced and trusted. She also brews potions and provides care (think hospice) for the sick and dying.


Male Half-Elf Fighter 1 / Monk 1

"You know, I'm still confused about something the Mayor said to the Sheriff," Zieke confides in Salome as they continue walking, "I could've sworn she mouthed the name of Hannah to him when we were telling them about Nualia. I wonder what that could mean? Is there something they're not telling us about the fire at the cathedral all those years ago?"

"I mean, I know a little bit about Hannah," he shares, "She's half-elven. And so she's been in Sandpoint long enough to see just about everyone come and go since its founding. She's also a healer...of sorts. Not exactly a follower of Sarenrae or Irori or anything like that. Just more of a natural healer, I guess. She usually works as a midwife and sometimes cares for the sick and the dying."

"Knowing what we know about Nualia and Father Tobyn, could there be some kind of connection there?" he asks, "Was Nualia pregnant? Or could one of them have sought out Hannah for something? Maybe we should talk to her before setting out for Thistletop. And by 'we'...I mean you. I think you two have enough in common, that she might open up to you more than most. What do you think?"


Female Human Cleric
Zieke Halveran wrote:
"You know, I'm still confused about something the Mayor said to the Sheriff," Zieke confides in Salome as they continue walking, "I could've sworn she mouthed the name of Hannah to him when we were telling them about Nualia..."

"I saw that, too," replies Salome.

Zieke wrote:
"...I wonder what that could mean? Is there something they're not telling us about the fire at the cathedral all those years ago?"

"The others were digging up Father Tobyn and Nualia's grave the first time I saw them, and there seemed to be enough there for them to question whether Nualia died in the fire. I had been told that Father Tobyn died in the fire, but when we were talking by the river, Nafir told me that he pulled Father Tobyn out of the fire himself, and Father Tobyn was still breathing. He died soon after from the smoke."

Zieke wrote:
"I know a little bit about Hannah..."

"I had not realized she is a half-elf. I worked with her for a couple of days after the goblin attacks. She is a skilled healer and was invaluable to the town. It seems like Father Zantus trusts her with much of the laywork at the cathedral."

Zieke wrote:
"Knowing what we know about Nualia and Father Tobyn, could there be some kind of connection there?" he asks, "Was Nualia pregnant? Or could one of them have sought out Hannah for something? Maybe we should talk to her before setting out for Thistletop. And by 'we'...I mean you. I think you two have enough in common, that she might open up to you more than most. What do you think?"

"I am not sure what we do know about Nualia and Father Tobyn. That is, I do not know what everyone else has learned. I have not spoken to Hannah in more than a week. As a healer, she keeps people's confidences, but it does seem that she has been even less talkative than usual. Perhaps even avoiding us. But with that majji around, I cannot say I would blame her..." she trails off.

"If I were to talk with her, I do not even know what I would say, or what I should ask."

It's time to pool our knowledge on this, maybe in the discussion thread. Past attempts to speak to Hannah have been fruitless, though she is becoming more suspicious. How should this best be approached?


Male Half-Elf Fighter 1 / Monk 1
Salome wrote:
"I am not sure what we do know about Nualia and Father Tobyn. That is, I do not know what everyone else has learned. I have not spoken to Hannah in more than a week. As a healer, she keeps people's confidences, but it does seem that she has been even less talkative than usual. Perhaps even avoiding us. But with that majji around, I cannot say I would blame her..." she trails off...."If I were to talk with her, I do not even know what I would say, or what I should ask."

"I'm sure you'd do a better job of it than I," Zieke confesses, "I'm more likely to just be blunt with her. At this point, I don't think it's so much about what we know regarding Nualia and Father Tobyn as what we suspect. And I can tell you from patrolling and cavassing Sandpoint's criminal elements, sometimes it's better just to play your hunch and see what kind of reaction it gets. Because even if it doesn't get you an immediate answer, it gives you a better read on people so it eventually leads to one."

"Somebody should just tell her we've found evidence that Nualia's alive," he suggests, "That she never burned up in the fire. Hannah probably has heard by now that Father Tobyn's remains are missing. If Nualia is behind the attack on Sandpoint and the goblins used the Swallowtail Festival to dig up Tobyn's bones, that's got to mean something. Let's put it to Hannah and ask her what really happened at the cathedral that night. And all the days leading up to it. She may give us some insight into Nualia that none of us have right now. And that way, if we do find her at Thistletop, we might have a psychological edge on her...or at least, be able to anticipate her most likely reactions or responses to us."

"If you want someone to come with you," he adds, "I'll be happy to assist. And if you want to check with everyone else about Hannah first, that might be time well-spent, too. I know I haven't had any reason to talk to her since returning from Magnimar. But maybe someone else has?"


Male Human Wizard 2/Sor 1
Zieke wrote:
"Was Nualia pregnant?

Slidell begins walking slower as he ponders this innocuous statement,...

Once again, the sound of clicks as the tumblers fall into place.

"I'm surrounded by geniuses. Why didn't I think of that?" He turns to Veran,

"Why didn't YOU think of that?! Hey, wait up!" He calls as he jogs to catch back up to the others.

"Zieke, Salome, Follow me on this for a moment,..." HE rubs his chin in a now familiar way as he lines up his thoughts."

"OK, in a nutshell, we know that Nualia was different, and was not generally accepted in Sandpoint. She didn't have a lot of friends. And it seems that her adopted father was a bit of a,... well, let's just be nice and say it seems he was strict."

"Now, there's really only two places to go to for healing if your sick or injured in this town. One is the temple, formerly Father Tobyn, and the other is Hannah. Both do top-notch work, I'm walking proof!" The mage grins, rubbing at a still-itchy spot of his otherwise perfectly healed burns.

"Now, as Tobyn's adopted daughter, she had instant access to the best possible care in Sandpoint. I don't care how many troubles or difficulties your having with your parent, if you are seriously hurt or sick, you are going to go to your parent first! "

"The only reason for her to go to Hannah for help is if it was something that wasn't serious. OR,... if it was for something that you DIDN'T want your father to find out about, OR if it was something that a young girl would be more comfortable talking about with another woman in the first place!" He grins at Zieke. "And a pregnancy fits Both of those perfectly!"

The mage rubs his chin again. "What I don't understand is why, if this theory is correct, no else seems to know about it. A pregnant girl in a town this size is hardly easy to HIDE, the gossip mill should still be talking about it, along with, everything,... else."

"Oh. Spellfire."

"Guys, and ladies, the fire in the church wasn't the ONLY thing that happened a few years ago. It was only the LAST." He looks at the others, wide-eyed, but speaking softly now. He begins ticking off thoughts on his fingers.

"First, the Chopper's rampage, killing many people before he was finally stopped."
"His last victim was the former Sheriff. "
"The unfortunate death of Ameiko's mother, ruled an accident, but that never settled well with some people in town."
"The fire at the church, now it seems like that it was set by Nualia. And NOW we have motive. IF she had gotten pregnant, and her foster-father found out about it, his reaction couldn't have been pleasant."

The mage removes his hat, and is almost pulling at his hair now.
"No! Nonono! It still doesn't fit!" He snarls in frustration.

"IF she was pregnant, why doesn't anyone know about the baby? What ties it all together? What causes many people to act in a way totally unlike their normal selves? All at the same time?"
" What would make a quiet woodcarver go on a killing spree? What makes wife either commit suicide, or someone else to kill her? What makes a quiet, unassuming girl burn down her home and burn her foster father alive?!?!" He looks at the others, Zieke, Salome, Ehlissa, Malcolm, Vesh.
"I'm sorry, I know it right there in front of me, but I just can't see it,.."

He looks at Vesh,... and blinks.

"OhNethysSweetMotherofMagic! That's It!!!!" He cries.

"Salome! Down below,... before you purified it,... you said if left unchecked the pool of poison would spread and build in strength, until it became strong enough to influence the town above! What if,... no! IT ALREADY HAPPENED!" He cries, speaking so fast you can hardly understand him.

"The Quasit had no one to feed the poison to, the pool grew in strength, it began affecting the townspeole, the weaker-willed ones first. A quiet woodcarver becomes a killer, someone, either Tsutso or his father, kills Ameiko's mother, a quiet, unassuming, meek girl sets fire to a church to kill her foster father!"

"IF Nualia was pregnant,then the reason no one knows about it is because she left after the fire, so no one found out,... or something happened to the baby,..."
Slidell calms down Looks the others in the eye, and speaks very quietly.

"The baby. Lamashtuu. The Mother of all monsters. Something happened to the baby. Something that set Nualia off completely. And Hannah knows. That's her secret."

'Sli, Private Eye!' Hows THAT for circular logic! You guys tell me if you think I missed something in all of that! Thx!


Male Half-Elf Fighter 1 / Monk 1
Slidell Stormraven wrote:
"Zieke, Salome, Follow me on this for a moment,..." HE rubs his chin in a now familiar way as he lines up his thoughts."

Are we all walking together? I had imagined Zieke and Salome's conversation was taking place separate from everyone else as she followed him back to the garrison to remove his things...

Not that I don't appreciate the circular logic and all...and we can just as easily say the absent-minded Slidell fell in step with them and nobody noticed. ;-)


Male Human Wizard 2/Sor 1

Ack! I can't believe I missed that! (Actually, yes I can, been under a lot of stress lately) Ok, so either Slidell followed you guys, as he was thinking and not really paying attention to whom he was walking with, (A very possible 'Sli' thing) OR this came out later, over dinner! Either way. Sorry guys, didn't mean to intrude upon your private chat! ;)


Male Half-Elf Fighter 1 / Monk 1
Slidell Stormraven wrote:
Ack! I can't believe I missed that! (Actually, yes I can, been under a lot of stress lately) Ok, so either Slidell followed you guys, as he was thinking and not really paying attention to whom he was walking with, (A very possible 'Sli' thing) OR this came out later, over dinner! Either way. Sorry guys, didn't mean to intrude upon your private chat! ;)

I'd prefer to say Sli followed along with Zieke and Salome, too lost in his thoughts to realize the three of them were separating from Vesh, Mal, and Ehlissa. That way, Sli would be around to hear Zieke suggest Nualia might have been pregnant. Otherwise, I don't really imagine that line coming out over dinner. It's just something Zieke felt comfortable confiding to Salome during their walk. And having Sli there to both overhear it and then click all of his tumblers into place is just a good story mechanic. Not to mention Zieke will find it annoying that the wizard was around to eavesdrop. Ah...the lovely relationship between a fighter and a spellcaster... ;-)

Slidell Stormrave wrote:
"IF Nualia was pregnant, then the reason no one knows about it is because she left after the fire, so no one found out... or something happened to the baby..." Slidell calms down and looks the others in the eye, and speaks very quietly. "The baby. Lamashtuu. The Mother of all monsters. Something happened to the baby. Something that set Nualia off completely. And Hannah knows. That's her secret."

Zieke wheels around at Slidell's voice, half-annoyed to find the wizard trailing after them and eavesdropping on what he thought was a private conversation. But as the wizard carries on and unleashes one connection after another between various pieces of information, the big warrior's annoyance turns into a dubious expression that, while somewhat skeptical of Sli's conclusions, continues to hear him out.

Once Sli finishes, Zieke turns to Salome and asks, "You buy any of that?" He gestures back at Sli with his thumb. "I know Ehlissa referred to him as the smartest man she knows, but I'll be damned if I can follow all that logic. Does he know half the stuff he's talking about...? Because if he's right, I'm even more convinced we need to talk with Hannah."


Male Human Wizard 2/Sor 1

Sli being to lost in his own little world, and Veran letting him, certainly works for me! Let's go with that!

Zieke wrote:
Ah...the lovely relationship between a fighter and a spellcaster... ;-)

Gotta luv it! ;)

"Yes, we need to talk to Hannah." The mage echoes softly. "We need to find out what, exactly, happened,..."

With that, the tall Chelaxian turns on his heel and begins striding down the street. He is staring at the ground, cloak flapping in the evening breeze, one hand in one of his many pockets, the other rubbing furiously at his chin. He is aimed roughly at the waterfront, and Hannah's place.

The bird turns and looks over his shoulder, sending a plaintive look back towards Zieke and Salome.

Feel free to stop me! Going with the "Sli followed them because he was in his own world" train, this seems appropriate! ;)


Male Half-Elf Fighter 1 / Monk 1
Slidell Stormraven wrote:
Feel free to stop me! Going with the "Sli followed them because he was in his own world" train, this seems appropriate! ;)

I'm going to wait for Salome to yell, "Majji!" That ought to get his attention back to us. ;-)


Zieke Halveran wrote:
I'm going to wait for Salome to yell, "Majji!" That ought to get his attention back to us. ;-)

That's assuming she would want to talk to him. :)

Zieke wrote:
Once Sli finishes, Zieke turns to Salome and asks, "You buy any of that?" He gestures back at Sli with his thumb. "I know Ehlissa referred to him as the smartest man she knows, but I'll be damned if I can follow all that logic. Does he know half the stuff he's talking about...? Because if he's right, I'm even more convinced we need to talk with Hannah."

Salome thinks for a moment. I wonder how many men Ehlissa knows? "He may be smart, but his logic is not tempered by wisdom. And once he has reached a conclusion, he rushes headlong in that direction, without considering the consequences or any other evidence around."

"Hannah is well-trusted in this community. Trusted as a healer, and trusted as a layworker in the church. And she is entrusted with people's secrets, which she is very good at keeping. I hesitate to jump to conclusions like our majji; before confronting someone, I prefer not to be wrong."

I don't want to answer completely yet. I seem to recall that there have been at least three, maybe four attempts to talk to Hannah so far, all of which have failed. If Salome (and perhaps Ehlissa too) tries to talk to her, I think it will be our last chance to get it right. High Diplomacy will be helpful, but I want to make sure I have my facts straight so I can RP it right, too.

I'm also getting tired of all the suspicion around pregnancy in this game! First Lamashtu, then Shayliss' sister, and now Nualia... I get enough pregnancy comments in real life!


Female Human (Chelaxian) Knight 1/Fighter 1/Paladin 1 (2)

Ehlissa looks at Slidell seriously, "I think you're exactly right," she says, "It all fits together perfectly. Hannah was quite cagey when I spoke to her before, but not unpleasant. Maybe I should try talking to her again?"


Male Human Wizard 2/Sor 1
Zieke wrote:
I'm going to wait for Salome to yell, "Majji!" That ought to get his attention back to us. ;-)
Salome wrote:
That's assuming she would want to talk to him. :)

Touche'!

Salome wrote:
Salome thinks for a moment. I wonder how many men Ehlissa knows?

Yeah, I,... Hey! ;P


Male Half-Elf Fighter 1 / Monk 1
Salome wrote:
"He may be smart, but his logic is not tempered by wisdom. And once he has reached a conclusion, he rushes headlong in that direction, without considering the consequences or any other evidence around."

"You got that right," Zieke agrees, watching Sli rather aimlessly walk away. Though impressed with Salome's read on the wizard, the big warrior can't help but wonder how the priestess sees him, too.

Salome wrote:
"Hannah is well-trusted in this community. Trusted as a healer, and trusted as a layworker in the church. And she is entrusted with people's secrets, which she is very good at keeping. I hesitate to jump to conclusions like our majji; before confronting someone, I prefer not to be wrong."

"Generally, I agree with you," Zieke nods, "But there's something to be said for rattling somebody's cage now and then just to play your hunch." He starts after Sli, but tosses one last comment over his shoulder as he looks back at Salome. "Besides," he adds, "You can always apologize later if you're wrong. Reasonable people usually don't mind if they've got nothing to hide and they take the time to understand your motives."

Ehlissa Briez wrote:
"I think you're exactly right....It all fits together perfectly. Hannah was quite cagey when I spoke to her before, but not unpleasant. Maybe I should try talking to her again?"

Zieke is brought up short as he hears Ehlissa's voice from the shadows.

"Hell's bells!" he mutters, "Is everyone tagging along behind us?"

He finally reaches out and grabs Slidell's cloak as it billows behind the lanky wizard. Meeting Veran's eyes, he pulls the garment taut to prevent Sli from going any further.

"Hold your horses there, Stormraven," Zieke demands, "There are better folks to pry information out of Hannah than you...or me. Let's give Salome a chance to talk to her about it."


Male Human Wizard 2/Sor 1
Zieke wrote:

He finally reaches out and grabs Slidell's cloak as it billows behind the lanky wizard. Meeting Veran's eyes, he pulls the garment taut to prevent Sli from going any further.

"Hold your horses there, Stormraven," Zieke demands, "There are better folks to pry information out of Hannah than you...or me. Let's give Salome a chance to talk to her about it."

"That's 'Professor' Stormraven", Slidell responds without looking, absent-mindedly batting as his cloak as if trying to unhook it from a nail. Then he stops, blinks, and turns around.

"Hm? Yes,... Yes. I think you may be right there Zieke." He responds, actually focusing on the larger warrior intently, as if inspecting him. He indicates Salome with a wave of his hand.

"By all means, Let Salome talk to her first. Speaking Healer to Healer, that may be the best approach."


Mal speaks up "I hate to be the one to suggest this, but Hannah might not be just a midwife. Think about it; Nualia's pregnant. I'm guessing her father isn't happy about it, or at least she knows he won't be happy whe he finds out. She has nowhere to go, and she can't hide being pregnant for long, especially not here. What if the reason that no one knew about her being pregnant, is because she didn't stay pregnant?"


Male Human (Varisian) Spellthief 4 (XP = 6405) as of 7/28, Wrathspawn and Shrine (10,000xp = 5th level)
Sir Malcolm of Riddleport wrote:
Mal speaks up "I hate to be the one to suggest this, but Hannah might not be just a midwife..."

"She isn't just," says Vesh. "I've already talked to Hannah today. Let's go to the White Deer and talk, just like Salome suggested. Confronting Hannah might not be the best thing to do just now." Vesh seems weary, like he just climbed out of a dungeon this morning.

When the party arrives at the White Deer and settles into a private dining room where they can be served refreshment, but are out of earshot of the common room, Vesh tells the party about his encounter with Hannah.

(See posts on this thread on pg. 48 and Dreamer's clue list in the discussion thread.)

"I think that we might be able to draw her out. She's a healer, and I've whetted he appetite with what I've told her so far. Also, it seems like the Sheriff might be paying her a visit--as fast as he left the table tonight."


Male Half-Elf Fighter 1 / Monk 1
Vesh wrote:
"I think that we might be able to draw her out. She's a healer, and I've whetted he appetite with what I've told her so far. Also, it seems like the Sheriff might be paying her a visit--as fast as he left the table tonight."

"Maybe," Zieke nods, remembering the worried exchange of Hannah's name between the Sheriff and Mayor, "If so, perhaps we can capitalize on that? Not me, certainly. I'd be viewed as just an extension of the Sheriff and Hannah wouldn't be any more apt to share information with me when she'll have already spoken to the Sheriff."

"But Salome here's got an angle I think might work," he shares, "Her faith in Sarenrae and Hannah's profession as a healer should establish some common ground. And given she often deals with...and presumably is confided in...by mostly other women, I think a conversation with Salome or Ehlissa would get a lot farther than any of the rest of us."

"What to ask her though?" Zieke ponders, "For me, I think the obvious question has to involve Nualia. What really happened during the fire at the cathedral all those years ago? Did she ever truly see any evidence that Nualia perished along with Father Tobyn? If not, and seeing as how a lot of evidence is pointing to Nualia being behind the attack on Sandpoint, then we need to know everything about Nualia that Hannah might know. Her personality...her hopes and dreams...her jealousies and secrets...anything to help us know her well enough to anticipate her next moves or how she'll react to us when we arrive at Thistletop."

"I'm concerned about this Tsuto character, too," Zieke confides, "Seeing as how he escaped, he's bound to have returned to Nualia. Presumably, he's told her something about all of you. We need to even the battlefield by gathering some intelligence on her, as well. What do the rest of you think?"


Male Human (Varisian) Spellthief 4 (XP = 6405) as of 7/28, Wrathspawn and Shrine (10,000xp = 5th level)
Zieke Halveran wrote:


"But Salome here's got an angle I think might work," he shares, "Her faith in Sarenrae and Hannah's profession as a healer should establish some common ground. And given she often deals with...and presumably is confided in...by mostly other women, I think a conversation with Salome or Ehlissa would get a lot farther than any of the rest of us."

Vesh nods, "Perhaps you're right. Okay then, Salome it is ... or perhaps Ehlissa."

Vesh listens as Zieke speaks about Hannah's possible involvement with the mysterious Nualia. He rubs his head and frowns, "we've got many threads, but still no rope." He looks to Slidell, "How are we to put all of this together? You're the wizard, conjure us up an answer."

*Punt*


Male Half-Elf Fighter 1 / Monk 1
Vesh wrote:
*Punt*

*nudging* Rags..."Get under the ball...and no fair catch! Run with it!" ;-)


Male Human Wizard 2/Sor 1
Vesh wrote:

Vesh nods, "Perhaps you're right. Okay then, Salome it is ... or perhaps Ehlissa."

Vesh listens as Zieke speaks about Hannah's possible involvement with the mysterious Nualia. He rubs his head and frowns, "we've got many threads, but still no rope." He looks to Slidell, "How are we to put all of this together? You're the wizard, conjure us up an answer."

*Punt*

After a head butt from Veran, Slidell looks up from where he is trying to rub his chin raw. He smiles.

"Ah! But if you twine enough threads together, you get a good, strong rope!" He raises an eyebrow at Vesh.

"And I'm a Conjurer, not a street magician!" He says petulantly. He then winks at Vesh, and looks at everyone around the table.

"Alright, Surmising will only get us so far. I think we have almost all the pieces of the puzzle, but Hannah probably has the one part that will let us put them all together. We need to talk to her. If the sheriff is paying her a visit, then she will probably be upset and Salome's presence might even be appreciated right about now. Her information might not be earth-shattering, but we need to know what happened to Nualia. We've seen how powerful and pervasive the charm and foul Milk can be. If Nualia is under it's effects we may be able to save her."
He leans low over the table, looking at the others intensely. "We have to at least try. Having an unhappy childhood, overbearing parental figure, and exposure to a malign influence is no reason to condemn someone. If there is even a chance we can turn her away from Lamashtuu, we have to try!" He says fervently.

After a moment, he realizes that everyone, including Veran, is staring at him and his unusual fervor. He clears his throat self-consciously, and leans back, continuing as if there had been no break.

"And then there's the thorny problem of Thistletop. As much as I personally would relish marching up to the front door and knocking on it, that path will undoubtedly be the best guarded. Since it is a known goblin camp, I can't imagine the Sheriff has let it go unscouted. Zieke, do you know, or can you find out, if there are any 'backdoors' onto that rock? I'll check with Quint and see what the local legends say."

"Then we just need to equip ourselves for an enjoyable little jaunt to find a possibly possessed or mutated young lady filled with hatred, in the middle of a goblin infested rock, behind a tribe of goblins and the best defenses they can muster!"

Sounds easy enough!" He says, taking a peanut from the table and munching on it.

Hows that for 'running with it?' ;P


Male Half-Elf Fighter 1 / Monk 1
Slidell Stormraven wrote:
Hows that for 'running with it?' ;P

In the spirit of kicking off the NFL regular season, I'd say you managed to get us good starting field position. ;-)

Slidell Stormraven wrote:
"Sounds easy enough!" He says, taking a peanut from the table and munching on it.

"If this Nualia is under the influence of that stuff we found under the Glassworks, it'll have had a long time to work on her," Zieke comments. He can't help but stare at Vesh as he contemplates his next words, "But if we can shake him out of it, maybe we can do the same for her. Frankly, I'm more worried over what that quasit said about her 'daughter' attempting to free some champion of Lamashtu. Let's make sure that doesn't happen first. Then, we can worry about what's in Nualia's best interests if anything's left of her."

"As for Thistletop," Zieke continues, "I know a bit about it. Mostly things Shalelu has shared. It's an island, so what kind of backdoor could it possibly have? Can't say I get up that way very often anyway. Usually, I'm patrolling the south road to Magnimar to keep it safe for Sandpoint merchants. But I'll find out what I can and meet the rest of you when we're ready to go."

"In the meantime," he suggests, "Why don't you and Vesh and maybe Mal see what the three of you can get for all that stuff we collected from those ruins. If there's something we can use against Nualia or the goblins or Lamashtu's champion, we might as well prepare it now. That should leave Salome and Ehlissa to pay Hannah a visit. If either of you need help, come get us and we'll come running."

Hopefully, that should sum up our intended activities. Zieke will gather intelligence about Thistletop. The selling or modifying of treasure and equipment can be left to Sli, Vesh, and Mal. And the girls can handle the tea party at Hannah's place. ;-)


Male Human Wizard 2/Sor 1

Slidell nods at Zieke's suggestions.
"I have a few ideas for some items that should be useful in a crowded goblin warren. Fairly easy to make too. My main concern at this point would be affording the materials. Let me see what I can help everyone with as far as mystically enhancing their items, and I'll work with what we have left."


"Well, as for a backdoor, what if we sailed to Thistletop rather than going by land? We could probably cut down on time, and avoid whatever goblins are between here and there. Plus, I'm guessing that the goblins aren't ready for an assault from the sea. They aren't renowned as sailors."


Female Human (Shoanti) Druid 3, Sorcerer 1 6,000 XP

As the men discuss plans for approaching Thistletop, a somewhat dusty woman enters the inn. Casting her eyes about, she spies some of her friends - Slidell Vesh and Malcom, all sitting together and chatting with a tall, blonde, muscular-looking stranger. At her heels is Naelah's ever present companion, Veren.

"We are brought together once more!" She says joyfully, her face lighting up despite her tiredness. To any who knew her before, Naelah looks different. Not in any real physical way, but she immediately seems to possess a deeper level of tranquility, but also a greater presence. Veren bounds forwards and 'greets' the three men with a playful head-butt, as Naelah approaches the table.

Responses...

"I think I know where the goblins came from!" She says excitedly without preamble. "They traveled west along the coast, and there are signs of heavy traffic within one of the larger forests in the area."

Belatedly, she seems to realise that Vesh, Malcom, and Slidell have all changed.

"What has happened to you all? And where are the others? Ehlissa? Corran? The desert-woman?" She asks, still wondering who the blonde stranger is.


Malcolm looks up at Naelah's greeting. He smiles broadly and beckons her over to where he sits with Slidell and Vesh. "Naelah! I didn't expect to be seeing you again any time soon. Come on, have a seat."

"Yes, Thistletop seems to be the source of our troubles. Its where we're going next, actually."


Male Human Wizard 2/Sor 1

Malcolm's looking over Slidell's shoulder as someone enters the Inn doesn't seem to faze the skinny mage in the least. At least not until a warning screech from Veran sends Slidell dodging to the side out of habit.

The Raven's large wings beat Slidell's hat about his eyes as the bird attempts escape. Blinded by his hat, Slidell is knocked from his seat by an impact from a large, furry form. He can feel the hot breath on his neck as he struggles to right himself, muttering muffled counter-curses against hellhounds as he tries to get his hat off, waiting for the inevitable snarling attack.

When the attack doesn't come, the mage finally manages to get an arm under him, and slowly pries his hat from his eyes,...

Right in time to get a face-full of wolf tongue.

"Veren!" Slidell sputtered, trying to sound stern. Which is extremely difficult to do when covered in wolf greeting. "Get off me you great fuzzy behemoth! Go on, before I turn you into a kitten!" He says pushing futilely at the heavy wolf leaning over him.

Veran, now safely ensconced in the rafters, alternates between hurling screeching birdie-curses at the large wolf, and what sounds suspiciously like laughter. For his part, Veren remains unmoved by either avian curses or wimpy magelings, his tongue still hanging out in canine laughter.

"Aw, come on now Veren, this is no way to treat a mage. If Neahlah were here she'd,..." He looks Veren in the face. "But if your here,..." HE says, his face in danger of completely splitting from the grin that appears on it. Impulsively, he hugs the wolf. Then, coughing and sputtering, he manages to get himself and his cloak untangled from the wolf's paws, and gathers what remains of his dignity as he rises to look at the slight Shoanti woman.

Slidell is obviously happy to see Neahlah, but seems unsure of how to greet her. So he bows, slowly this time, and manages not to hit his head on anything. "Neahlah. You look fully recovered. It's good to see you. I,.. that is we,.. were wondering what had happened to you. I mean, you were recovering, and then you were gone, and,..." He coughs.
"It's good to see you." He finishes lamely.

However, as his mouth struggles to catch up to his brain, his eyes take in the details of Neahlah's dusty, traveled appearance and new demeanor. The quiet self-confidence is still there, but the shy, reserved part seems to have been replaced with something more,... energetic. A wry grin tugs at the edge of his mouth as her sky-blue eyes fearlessly meet his.

'So, the gentle breeze has become a Zephyr!'

The mage blinks as he realizes that thanks to his distraction by Veren, and his own greeting, he has missed a portion of conversation that has already taken place. "I'm terribly sorry, you were saying? Candy?"

Welcome back Neahlah!!! ;)

2,401 to 2,450 of 2,491 << first < prev | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / JSL's Runelords Campaign All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.