Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
About Paizo Messageboards News Paizo Blog Help/FAQ
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

PaizoCon 2014!

JSL's Runelords Campaign


Play-by-Post

801 to 850 of 2,491 << first < prev | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | next > last >>

Male Human Wizard 2/Sor 1

Slidell reloads his crossbow and takes a position behind and to the side of Corran and Malcolm where he can (hopefully) see past them and maybe get a shot by if needed.

His black feathered familiar still sits on his shoulder, looking intently at the door.


Corran adds his shoulder to Malcolm's and their combined push is met with the sound of cracking wood as the door buckles and sways on its hinges. With a second effort, Corran pushes the door through the opening and tumbles after it to a tumultuous crash. As he struggles to regain his footing, he is enveloped in a rain of debris - everything from books and crockery to stone statuettes and an old suit of armor - from above and to the side of the opening. The falling rubbish kicks up quite a cloud of dust and you all hack and cough trying to clear your throats and eyes. Corran and Malcolm take 8 pts of damage from falling debris Ref DC 12 for half.

The room beyond is faintly lit by a small skylight. It is large and the walls are lined with shelves - most of them empty. A tottering shelf near the door appears to be the source of the makeshift trap. A desk and chair sit against the wall to your left. A single door is located in the far left corner of the room.

In the darkness ahead you can make out a prone figure lying on the floor. Not waiting for an invitation, Veren nudges past you and rushes over to the figure. He nuzzles it with his nose and looks at you pleadingly.

XP for goblins is 150 for the six participants. Can someone update me on the XP total including Monday 1/28? I'm thinking 1,870 for some reason.


Female Human Cleric

Salome looks at the tied up goblins with disgust and gives them a wide berth as she silently joins the rest of the group behind the door. As Vesh works on the lock, she grasps her ankh: "Watch us, Sarenrae, and protect me from evil," she whispers...

Startled by the falling shelf, she impulsively rushes into the room to check for injuries. But her attention is drawn away by a brush of fur past her legs. "Is that your friend?" she asks, sheathing her scimitar. She approaches the figure for a closer look.

Amulet: Protection from Evil.
Checking body: Perception check (1d20+4=11)


Male Human Wizard 2/Sor 1

Slidell awaits with the others anxiously as Corran adds his strength to Malcolm's and the door finally, with much complaint, gives way. HE is as blinded by the dust and debris as the others, waving his hand to try to clear the air in front of his face.

"Not bad, for someone in a hurry." He mutters as the dust clears enough for him to see the tottering shelf used as a booby trap. "He's as clever as me! Well,... almost." He grins.

Slidell is bumped in the knees by the heavy form of Veren as he pads quickly by to the heretofore unnoticed figure lying on the floor. Slidell tilts his head sideways trying to get a better look as the wolf turns back towards the group and whines. "Is that,..." he mumbles, unwittingly echoing Salome.

Veran launches from his shoulder in a sudden burst of speed, "Neahlah! Neahlah!" he cries as he lands on a table near the wolf and form on the floor.

"Neahlah?" Slidell echoes, the whispered word barely passing his lips. He blinks.

"NEAHLAH! He shouts, all pretext of caution gone as he hurls himself through the doorway, using a plank from a broken shelf as a teeter-totter pathway over the warriors still struggling to their feet, bringing another grunt from Corran as he does so.

He rushes past the cautious Salome and slides to a stop on his knees next to the bound figure, hesitant to touch it at first as if afraid of what he'll find. Cautiously at first, then firmly he grabs the person's shoulders and tries to get a look at their face. "Neahlah? Is that you?"
He asks, coughing on the dust. "Are you alright?"

I just realized that if this is another booby-trap, or better yet, a goblin in a wig, then I'm officially hosed! YAY High INT, low WIS! ;P


Male Human Ranger 1/Fighter 1 (xp: 1920)

Corran's REF check (1d20+4=24)

Corran senses the door shaking even as he's pushing through it. What seems like the ceiling caving in does so in slow motion to him. "Oh sh--" Says Corran despite himself as he tries to spring past the oncoming objects, an expletive cut short by a brick that strikes a glancing blow off his temple.

Corran remains on all fours as the others rush past him. His ears are ringing...and his head is bleeding.

Corran is at 5/17.


Male Human (Varisian) Spellthief 4 (XP = 6405) as of 7/28, Wrathspawn and Shrine (10,000xp = 5th level)

Vesh once again readies his bow as Corran and Malcolm rush through. As they push their way through, he sees the door jam shaking in a very strange way. "Wait--" But his warning is cut short by the ensuing cloud of dust and choking and coughing.

Clearing his eyes as the others rush into the room, Vesh sees Corran on his hands and knees. "Are you okay?" He says as he enters and kneels beside the warrior.

Slidell wrote:


"Neahlah?" Slidell echoes, the whispered word barely passing his lips. He blinks.

"NEAHLAH! He shouts, all pretext of caution gone as he hurls himself through the doorway

"Naelah?" Momentarily forgetting his friend, he rushes to the corner after Slidell. As Slidell rolls her over, Vesh gasps. "By Desna, she's hurt!" With a series of swift motions Vesh produces Ameiko's dagger and cuts Naelah's bonds.

"O vala shikeshal the daja ranh ish shtev-karath," whispers Vesh as he works, fearing her dead, "hith theth rata thash, khasha Kashta, theth rata thash."

Shoanti translation:

Spoiler:

"You were supposed to have left us snow-child," whispers Vesh as he works, fearing her dead, "but not like this, please Desna, not like this."

I like the the Shoanti translation of Desna's name. Neat.


Naelah is alive, but in bad shape. She is fluttering in and out of conciousness. Her armor and clothes are torn and her body is covered by scratches, scars, and what appear to be severe burn marks. Her clothing/worn equipment is intact, but weapons and carried items are not to be seen.
At 0 HP and unconcious.

For PsiFox:

Spoiler:

Sorry that took so long, but you are back! Naelah returned to the Rusty Dragon in the early morning figuring she owed Vesh and the others more of an explanation or something (I'll let you fill in the details). She saw a man (Tsuto) dragging an injured woman (Ameiko) out of the alley window. As she rushed to find out what was going on she was intercepted by a Town Guard who told her to leave. When she pressed, she saw a flash of lightning and blacked out. She has been unconcious until our heroes rescued her. Feel free to embelish as you wish.


Male Human (Varisian) Spellthief 4 (XP = 6405) as of 7/28, Wrathspawn and Shrine (10,000xp = 5th level)

Where is Naelah in the room? I mean, which corner?


She is near L27/28.


Male Human (Varisian) Spellthief 4 (XP = 6405) as of 7/28, Wrathspawn and Shrine (10,000xp = 5th level)

As Naelah's bonds come loose, Vesh stands and looks at Slidell move about her, support her, with a care and grace he has not seen in the mage. Vesh stands, a mixture of irrational jealousy and sadness, loss, burning in his chest. He wants to both strike Slidell and weep over what he is seeing in the man. He again remembers Naelah's parting words...

Naelah" wrote:


"You and the wolf are the same...this passion you feel inside is not for me. You have a higher road to travel, and your devotion belongs to another."

He assumed that Naelah had meant his devotion to Desna. But, now, looking at her slack face, he sees another Shoanti girl. A girl on the plains. A ghost from the past. She could not have meant--

But his thoughts are interrupted by Salome who moves in front of him to get a better look at Naelah.

Shaking himself out of the past, he turns his attention to the door. "Malcolm? Corran? Are you okay?" He says absently as he moves across the room. Before they can answer, he kneels and puts his ear to the door.

Not even going to post the result of the perception check. Too embarrassing. I'm not sure why I even try.

The noise of activity from behind him, as hushed as they are, distract Vesh and obscure any noise from the other side of the door. His brow furrows again.

He turns, "Malcolm? Corran?"


Male Human Ranger 1/Fighter 1 (xp: 1920)
Vesh wrote:


Shaking himself out the the past, he turns his attention to the door. "Malcolm? Corran? Are you okay?"

Corran shakes his head and tries to get up. Big mistake. Eventually, he collects himself and gathers around the others. He is overjoyed to see Naelah, but his reaction is tempered when he sees her condition.

Vesh wrote:
"Malcolm? Corran?"

He walks over the Vesh, "I'd hold a moment before opening that." He whispers. "I'm a bit banged up, and if Ameiko is on the other side, that's one thing. If Tsuto on the other side, that's another." Turning back to the others, he adds, "We should move quickly, though," he adds. "If this is what he did to Naelah, Ameiko might be dead already."


Female Human Cleric

Seeing that the walking wounded are at least walking, Salome completes her triage and decides to heal this new stranger. All business, she pushes her way closer, irritated at the apparent gawking. "If you are done looking," she addresses the men who have gathered, "I think this young woman needs some help." She kneels by the body, across from the wolf. Placing her left hand on Naelah's head and holding her hand with her right, she once again recites her healer's prayer.

Under her facade of calm control, Salome mentally adds the day's healings. They need a Garjjan. I am not enough! she thinks desperately to herself.

Since this is a non-combat situation, I'm assuming maximum healing: 1d8+2. FYI: I now have 3 HP worth of CMW and two CLW potions left.


Male Human Wizard 2/Sor 1

Slidell carefully lays Neahlah's head back down after Vesh cuts her bonds. He continues to gently try to awaken her, unaware of the holes Vesh attempts to burrow into the back of his skull with his eyes. He finally looks up at his familiar, still perched on the nearby table. Only his familiar and the wolf can see the single tear tracking through the dust on his cheek.

When Salome approaches and brusquely indicates he should move so she can help, he does so with out his usual retorts. He stands up and coughs, using the motion to hide the fact that he is clearing the betraying tear from his face, as well as the dust.

He turns and looks over the others as Salome works, noting that he and Salome are the only ones NOT injured, and some look almost as bad as Neahlah.

"Heroes of Sandpoint,... my skinny @$$!" He mutters, barely audible. Seeing Corran and Vesh whispering and pointing at the next door, he takes a step towards them, but is distracted by the sound of movement from behind him, where Salome has finished chanting.

Slowly, he turns,...

AND,... batter up Psifox, you're on! :D


Female Human (Shoanti) Druid 3, Sorcerer 1 6,000 XP

As her gaze swims slowly into focus, Naelah frowns in confusion. Her vision hazy, she sees a female face looking at her.

"Shethal*?" She asks, not realizing she is speaking her native language. "Vala ash a*?"

The room coming into focus, Naelah spies her beloved Veren, Slidell, Vesh, and all the others. "You have rescued me?" She asks, her voice soft. "It seems I was wrong, the wind will not let us part yet." Feeling life return to her body, Naelah hauls herself to her feet, using those nearby to assist her.

In a flash on insight, she realizes that the strange woman before her has brought her from the brink of death. "You have my thanks, the Shaman's touch is strong with you." She states, her voice warm and polite.

"What has happened? Where are we? Do you know that Ameiko has been kidnapped by a pointy-eared man?"

Assuming that JSL lets me (as she had rested, after all), Naelah will have her full complement of spells, allowing me to pull a few healing spells out of the hat.

----------
Shoanti:

Spoiler:
Shethal? - Mother?

Vala ash a? - Where am I?


Male Human Wizard 2/Sor 1

Slidell blinks, hearing but not hearing Nealah's words.

Once again he rushes by Salome, grabbing up Nealah in what would be a bear hug if he were not so skinny. He puts her down, but holds onto her arms as if afraid that she will fall over again. Smiling like a kid in a candy store, he looks her in the eyes and starts to say,... "OW!"

Releasing her, he grabs his temple with one hand. He blinks a couple of times, and shakes his head a little as Veren flaps to his shoulder.

"Wow. That was,... weird." He says as he looks back up. He grins at both Nealah and Salome. "Thanks Salome. Your here! I knew you couldn't leave! This is Salome. Your in the Glassworks, The pointy-eared guy is Tsuto, he's Ameiko's brother. We're pretty sure Ameiko's here too. How are you feeling? If your up to it, I think that the guys could use some help from you and Salome. We should hurry. There's no telling what he's done to poor Ameiko, and with up to 5 tribes of goblins to call on, we shouldn't let him get too far ahead!" He turns and surveys the room and his fellows, still rambling, the 'wind' obviously fully back in his sails.

"Well, what are you waiting for?!" He asks when he notices everyone staring at him. "The 'Heroes of Sandpoint' are back together, there's nothing can stop us now!" He hefts his crossbow and smiles as if looking forward to a brisk morning walk.


Female Human (Shoanti) Druid 3, Sorcerer 1 6,000 XP
Slidell Stormraven wrote:

Once again he rushes by Salome, grabbing up Nealah in what would be a bear hug if he were not so skinny. He puts her down, but holds onto her arms as if afraid that she will fall over again. Smiling like a kid in a candy store, he looks her in the eyes and starts to say,... "OW!"

Releasing her, he grabs his temple with one hand. He blinks a couple of times, and shakes his head a little as Veren flaps to his shoulder.

*Trimmed Slidell's rambling*

Laughing as he hugs her, Naelah returns the hug, but doesn't really notice Slidell's discomfort.

At his wild rush of words, Naelah smalls at him, placing a hand to his mouth. "Peace. Otherwise you will tire yourself, and be of no use to anyone."

"I am well enough to help the others, who is hurt?" She asks the group, mentally steeling herself for the tasks to follow.

Remember, Naelah, the wind never truly stops blowing. So to, you must always be ready to act...


12 (6+6). Whew.
“Stupid son of a whore!” I mutter, extricating myself from the debris and standing. I notice Naelah and start to move over to her while holding my hand to a painful wound on the back of my hand. Seeing that Vesh and Slidell are helping Naehlah I start to search the room. “How is she?” I ask, as I look for any other nasty surprises.
Spot 16 (11+5). Rolled by hand because IC just gave me a bunch of error messages.
When she rises I say "Seems as thought the winds of Fortune have blown us together again eh? We're like a bad mold, you can't get rid of us." with a grin "Glad to have you back.".
When she offers healing I reply "Yeah, Something hit me in the head when we came in here; I think it was a flowerpot or something. Anyway its not that bad." I say, touching the swelling bump on my head. "Alright, so it hurts like hell but it isn't life-threatening."


There is nothing in the rules to indicate one would lose prepared spells when knocked out, so Naelah has a full complement as far as I'm concerned.

Malcolm, something glistening on the floor catches your eye. A closer inspection reveals a faint smear of blood leading to the door Vesh and Corran were investigating. It is fresh.


Male Human (Varisian) Spellthief 4 (XP = 6405) as of 7/28, Wrathspawn and Shrine (10,000xp = 5th level)
Naelah wrote:


The room coming into focus, Naelah spies her beloved Veren, Slidell, Vesh, and all the others. "You have rescued me?" She asks, her voice soft. "It seems I was wrong, the wind will not let us part yet."

"Nor would the wolf," says Vesh, turning from the door. "I am," he says with a pause, "glad that you are okay." He smiles weakly as Slidell hugs her. His voice lost in Slidell's excited commotion.

Slidell wrote:


"Well, what are you waiting for?!" He asks when he notices everyone staring at him. "The 'Heroes of Sandpoint' are back together, there's nothing can stop us now!" He hefts his crossbow and smiles as if looking forward to a brisk morning walk.

Vesh turns from Slidell's exuberance to concentrate fully on the door, his frown in full-effect (or, more accurately, full-affect *drum riff*).

Vesh searches the door for traps or anything strange. (1d20+7=25)


Male Human Ranger 1/Fighter 1 (xp: 1920)

Corran does the same (1d20=7).

Did Tal really not take any ranks in Search for Corran?


Female Human Cleric

Stepping back and observing the exuberant reunion, Salome realizes her error: The striking blue-eyed white-haired patient isn't the stranger; she is. "bajAtru!" she whispers to herself, takes a deep breath and stands straight. Her amber eyes clear and she watches her... companions? acquaintances? comrades? no such thing... this group coalesce around this new mystery.

The majji thought I was her??? she thinks to herself. Then observing young Vesh, she nods. "Without love, there is no pain."

I think it was Steven Wright who said, "I love reminiscing with strangers. Granted, it takes longer."


Female Human (Chelaxian) Knight 1/Fighter 1/Paladin 1 (2)

"Naelah! Thank the Lady!" Ehlissa hugs the Shoanti girl, and a smile lights up her face.

"Let's see what these little beggars have to say for themselves," she says grimly, moving back to the goblins.

"Now, look here! You're going to tell us what's been going on here or things will get very difficult for you!" she says sternly.


Male Human Ranger 1/Fighter 1 (xp: 1920)

Corran moves to Ehlissa's side and puts his hand on her shoulder. "Ehlissa," he says quietly, "let's deal with these creatures later, we must keep moving if we're to find Ameiko."


Vesh wrote:
Vesh searches the door for traps or anything strange.

Sorry, missed this in all the excitement.

The door appears perfectly ordinary, if a little on the low end for quality. It is not even fitted with a lock, having instead a simple wooden pull. You do not hear any noises from beyond the door.


Male Human (Varisian) Spellthief 4 (XP = 6405) as of 7/28, Wrathspawn and Shrine (10,000xp = 5th level)

"There's no lock on this door," Vesh says to everyone. "Let's get ready."

Vesh watches the others get healed and ready their weapons. When they are in position, he draws Ameiko's dagger and uses his free hand open the door.


Male Human Ranger 1/Fighter 1 (xp: 1920)

Corran is going to need a CLW potion or spell before going on.

After being administered to, and after waiting until everyone else is ready, Corran stands shoulder-to-shoulder with Ehlissa, ready to go through the door when Vesh opens it.

He looks at Vesh. "Once again? One...two..."

He grips his sword.

"Three."


SUB_Corran wrote:
Corran is going to need a CLW potion or spell before going on.

I'll assume he gets it from somewhere...

The door opens into what appears to be a small stockroom. There is a hook for a lantern on the inside of the door jamb, but no other source of light in the room. It is pretty dark. Shelves - mostly bare - frame out from the other three walls and a broom is leaning in the far corner. You do not see any other exits.


Female Human Cleric

As everyone assesses their readiness and prepares again for confrontation, Salome hands Corran and Malcolm each a flask. She interrupts their thanks with, "The best thanks is if you just--" she pauses, frustrated she can't quite say what she's thinking, "do not get hurt!"

Whatever is behind that door had better watch out, she thinks, her golden eyes narrowed and scimitar ready, I am ready to pounce the first thing that crosses me!

CLW potions to the most wounded. Cheers!


Male Human Wizard 2/Sor 1

Slidell pokes his head into the room, his eyes narrowed as he looks from side to side. Satisfied, he sets the safety on his crossbow and lets it dangle from it's strap. He pushes the wide brimmed hat back farther onto his head and rubs his chin.

"Hmmm,... What goes in, must go out,..." He says softly in a sing-song voice. He pulls his small traveling lantern from his pack and lights it. He places it on the hook by the door, and turns once more to survey the room.

"Malcolm, Vesh. Would you two be so good as to tell me if you see anymore blood trails like the last one?" He asks, inspecting a shelf. "Everyone else, look for something that doesn't belong. A shame that lady ranger isn't here to help. I hear that elves are very good at this sort of thing." He muses as he picks up the broom from the corner, inspects it, then looks around to see if anything has actually been swept.

"Of course! This is a dusty storeroom! Corran! Can you find and follow any tracks? He came in, there HAS to be something!"

Slidell SEARCH check, and the bird-brains' SPOT check,...

Slidell SEARCH & Veren SPOT checks: (1d20+3=15, 1d20+5=19)


There is something. And as soon as Slidell sheds some light on the subject, it becomes pretty obvious what that something is: a two foot square panel in the apparently stone floor. The bloody trail ends at the edge of a lip used for raising the panel.


Male Human (Varisian) Spellthief 4 (XP = 6405) as of 7/28, Wrathspawn and Shrine (10,000xp = 5th level)

"Looks like we're going down."


Male Human Wizard 2/Sor 1
Vesh wrote:
"Looks like we're going down."

"And we aren't the only ones,..." Slidell retorts with a dark grin, loudly releasing the safety from his crossbow,...


Female Human (Chelaxian) Knight 1/Fighter 1/Paladin 1 (2)

"Remember, we need to be cautious!" whispers Ehlissa urgently to the manic mage. "If you go in there all fingers blazing we could end up getting trounced, or worse hurting Ameiko."


Male Human Wizard 2/Sor 1

Slidell manages to look hurt, if not embarrassed or cowed, at Ehlissa's statement.

"Of course dear Lady, this IS a rescue mission after all. We have one, all we need is Ameiko. And 'caution' is my middle name!"

He turns to the bird on his shoulder. "What do I look like, a pyromaniac? 'FIngers blazing', Indeed." The raven leans close and mutters something into Slidell's ear.

"Well, yes, There WAS that one time in,... Hey! THAT was an accident!"

Indignant, he turns his attention back to the group. "Alright, let's presume there is a ladder under the door, once we have determined that no one waits below to shoot at us, who is going first to cover the rest as they descend?" He asks.


Female Human Cleric

I propose that Veran (or another volunteer) descend first, scout ahead, and tell us what we're dealing with. Slidell and Salome have crossbows and can cover group's descent. Vesh or Malcolm locate and rescue Ameiko; "tanks" engage bad guys in melee; Slidell covers from range. Will we have help from Veren?


Male Human (Varisian) Spellthief 4 (XP = 6405) as of 7/28, Wrathspawn and Shrine (10,000xp = 5th level)

Perhaps we should just shove the tied-up goblins down there--see what goes boom. Kidding.


I take the proffered potion with a nod of thanks and drain the vial of curative.
Since healing is maximized that brings me up to 14/14hp.
"Nothing wrong with a little fire." I mutter, eyeing the trapdoor dubiously.
Salome's plan sounds good to me.


Male Human (Varisian) Spellthief 4 (XP = 6405) as of 7/28, Wrathspawn and Shrine (10,000xp = 5th level)

Sounds good to me, too.

Vesh drops to his hands and knees. He begins to search the ground around the trapdoor and the trapdoor itself (1d20+7=14). His frown deepens as he concentrates on finding traps.


Because you are so close on your Search, I'm going to rule that someone used Aid Another to get you up to 16.

Vesh finds a small indentation in the panel near the lip. It is about the diameter of a copper coin. The Kaijitsu family crest (which you recognize from the painting in Ameiko's room) has been engraved in the indentation.


Male Human (Varisian) Spellthief 4 (XP = 6405) as of 7/28, Wrathspawn and Shrine (10,000xp = 5th level)
JSL wrote:

Because you are so close on your Search, I'm going to rule that someone used Aid Another to get you up to 16.

Vesh finds a small indentation in the panel near the lip. It is about the diameter of a copper coin. The Kaijitsu family crest (which you recognize from the painting in Ameiko's room) has been engraved in the indentation.

Is this part of a device or mechanism to get the trapdoor open? Or, is it some sort of lock? Is it a trap, or just something interesting about the door?


Vesh wrote:


Is this part of a device or mechanism to get the trapdoor open? Or, is it some sort of lock? Is it a trap, or just something interesting about the door?

It appears to be part of the stonework. It does not appear to be mechanical (i.e, a lock or latch). However, it is located about the width of your hand from the "lip" that serves as a handle for the hatch.


Male Human (Varisian) Spellthief 4 (XP = 6405) as of 7/28, Wrathspawn and Shrine (10,000xp = 5th level)
JSL wrote:


It appears to be part of the stonework. It does not appear to be mechanical (i.e, a lock or latch). However, it is located about the width of your hand from the "lip" that serves as a handle for the hatch.

Vesh stands and puts a hand up in a gesture suggesting that the others "hold-tight." His frown deepens; he rubs his chin.

I wonder if this is like that time in Riddleport when...

Closing his eyes briefly, Vesh makes a circular gesture with his left hand and quietly but emphatically says "eisae."

Vesh casts Detect Magic.

When he opens his eyes, his irises are jet black*. He looks down at the trapdoor (and looks for an aura, using a full 3 rounds if necessary).

Vesh's Spellcraft check to determine school of magic, if applicable (1d20+6=25)
------------------------------------
*Remember what Tom Cruise's eyes looked like when he first swapped them out in Minority Report? That's what I'm picturing here.


Female Human (Shoanti) Druid 3, Sorcerer 1 6,000 XP

Her head clearing, Naelah follows the others, Veren at her heels. Once they reach the 'trapdoor', Naelah stays back, her knowledge of hidden things being sketchy, at best.

"I have no weapons, but I can still assist." Naelah chimes in during the discussion, "Veren will help too." The wolf's ears prick up at the sound of his name.


Female Human Cleric

"Do you know how to use one of these?" Salome asks Naelah, holding out her scimitar. Masterwork scimitar; I think it has the same stats as yours, if you think it would be useful. "I cannot use both at the same time," she pushes her robe aside and motions to the crossbow hanging from her belt. "Sarenrae be with you," she bows.


Male Human Wizard 2/Sor 1

Slidell raises an eyebrow, then exchanges a quick glance with his familiar, when Vesh casts the detect magic. He makes no comment, (unusual in itself), but seems to regard Vesh with a keener, possibly critical, eye.


Vesh wrote:
He looks down at the trapdoor (and looks for an aura, using a full 3 rounds if necessary)

Vesh:

Spoiler:

At first you see nothing. Then a faint reddish tinge, soft and glowing like a morning fog struck by the rising sun begins to emanate from the edges of the hatch. As you concentrate, the mist forms into tendrils which grow and shift - coiling and twining together - until they form a translucent web covering the entire hatch. You notice that the web is denser and darker, taking on a somewhat purple hue, at the indentation.

Beads of sweat form on your brow and roll down your face as you peer closer, hoping to get some clue as to the nature of this aura. For an instant, you feel as if you are in another time, another place. Energy courses through the tendrils causing them to bend and flail madly until the web is undone and searing heat envelopes you.

You stagger to your feet, the spell ended.

[ooc]aura of faint evocation - good thing no one opened the hatch


Male Human (Varisian) Spellthief 4 (XP = 6405) as of 7/28, Wrathspawn and Shrine (10,000xp = 5th level)

Vesh wipes the sweat from his brow, and his eyes return to their normal dark brown color. He sways a little, as if coming out of a dream.

"This is bad." He says still frowning. "The trapdoor will explode if we open it."

He looks up at Malcolm. "I'm going to need your help." He takes off his pack and retrieves his lock-picking tools.

"The rest of you might want to stand back."
-----------------------------------------
It's late, so I'll do the rolls tomorrow morning. Suffice to say, I'll probably have Vesh use the medalion on this one. JSL: Neat description in the spoiler above. Everyone should read it now that the cat is out of the bag--neat stuff.


"What? I don't see anything." I say, kneeling to look at the trap door and wondering what Vesh sees.
Aid another I presume? If so 7 (2+5) I think you'd be better off without my help.


Male Human (Varisian) Spellthief 4 (XP = 6405) as of 7/28, Wrathspawn and Shrine (10,000xp = 5th level)
Sir Malcolm of Riddleport wrote:

"What? I don't see anything." I say, kneeling to look at the trap door and wondering what Vesh sees.

Aid another I presume? If so 7 (2+5) I think you'd be better off without my help.

As Malcolm stands up, Vesh lays-out his tools and swallow hard. Beads of sweat again form on his brow.

You've done this before, Vesh. You've done this before. He swallows again. Once.
-----------------------------
A pregnant pause here to consider some thoughts about this situation that I explore in the discussion thread. And now back to our regularly scheduled program...
-----------------------------
Vesh grasps the butterfly medallion and starts to work, all frown and sweat...

And...invisible castle is down, so we'll use scout's honor (and perhaps a screenshot from http://www.penpaperpixel.org/tools/d20dicebag.htm).

Oh man! <click here>

EDIT: Of course, Invisible Castle's back up now. If you want a re-roll, I'll do it. I'll cry, but I'll do it.


Vesh wrote:
You've done this before, Vesh. You've done this before. He swallows again. Once.

That roll works for me.

Working from memory, you lay out your tools then position a series of mirrors and reflectors around the perimeter of the hatch. In the exact center, you place a pure crystal, perfectly cut and sized, on a black wooden pedestal. Then you gently nudge the hatch, opening it just enough to start triggering the trap. As the magical energy begins to flow, the hair on your arm and neck stands up and the sweat on your fingers makes it difficult to hold the hatch in position. However, a cool, calming influence enters your mind and you are suddenly aware that the medallion about your neck is twirling from side to side with its own energy. You count the seconds "1...2...3...4...5..." and then release the hatch to fall back into place. Quickly, you pick up your tools, replace them in their bag and sit up on your knees. A quick prayer on your tongue, you grab the hatch and yank upward. A gentle hissing sound greets you as the remaining mystic energy surges, then fades into nothing.

(I had never given much thought to how a thief would disable a magical trap - that was kind of fun)

Vesh:

Spoiler:

The trap will stay deactivated for one minute. If the hatch is not closed by then, it will recharge and probably detonate. However, once detonated, it cannot recharge, so that might be a good thing if you want to come back this way. The energy harvested by your crystal will fade harmlessly over 24 hours.

The hatch swings open on a pivot near the far end revealing a square opening in the floor. With the aid of Slidell's lantern, you can see that you are looking into a cavern that is much larger than the room you are currently in. The cavern floor is about 10 feet below. There is a ladder, but it has been kicked to the side and now lies on the cavern floor. The air from below is cold and moist. You hear the dripping of water into a pool and other sounds - scraping and muttered curses - from the darkness.

100xp to all for defeating the trap

801 to 850 of 2,491 << first < prev | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / JSL's Runelords Campaign All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.