Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
About Paizo Messageboards News Paizo Blog Help/FAQ
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

PaizoCon 2014!

JSL's Runelords Campaign


Play-by-Post

701 to 750 of 2,491 << first < prev | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | next > last >>

Male Human (Varisian) Spellthief 4 (XP = 6405) as of 7/28, Wrathspawn and Shrine (10,000xp = 5th level)

Climbing the walls, indeed!

Vesh starts as Malcolm confronts him. "You're here! Where have you all been?!" He is about to rush past Malcolm when he stops. "Ameiko's wha..."

He looks at the dagger, "Oh! No! I wasn't." Vesh stops and collects himself, "I think we're going to need it. Slidell...But,I think I know where Ameiko might be!" He pulls out the dagger and hands it to Mal, pommel first. "If you'd rather, I don't care! But it'll do us more good if one of us carries it than it would in a desk drawer! Now come, before the guards overhear."

I am assuming that Malcolm now carries the dagger.

Returning to the common room, Vesh looks to Slidell. "Thank Desna you've returned! I was about to go out the window!" He pulls out the letter that Bethana has minimally translated. "Look! I think I know where Ameiko might be. Her family owns the--."

But Slidell finishes the sentence for Vesh...

I'm serving this up for you, Rags. Spike it.


Male Human Wizard 2/Sor 1

Aaaaaand,... SPIKE!

,... the Glassworks in town. Specifically the 'Kaijtitu Glassworks'. 'K.G.W.' I presume the ladder used in the graveyard came from there. What IS this?!?" Slidell finishes Vesh's statement for him, and then snatches the letter that Vesh is waving about in front of him.

Slidell looks at the letter, gives a 'Hm.' Then flattens the letter on a table and pulls out a slim stick of charcoal from one of his pockets. He begins making his own notations on the page as he continues speaking.

"Anyway, the 'inside man' that the goblins had helping them undoubtedly works there. And as Ameiko's family owns the glassworks, her abduction must be related. And this proves it!" He exclaims as he presents the letter back to Vesh with a flourish.

"That letter is signed by Tsuto, Ameiko's half-Elf half-brother. I heard that he left town five years ago? About the time of their mother's death, and the fire?" He looks to Bethana for confirmation, then continues. "If I translated it correctly, the letter is from Tsuto asking Ameiko to see him. Something about their father. An estranged sibling returns after being gone five years? AND returning just before the sister is kidnapped? AND Just in time for a brilliantly-coordinated goblin attack? AND the families' company ladder was used in the grave robbing? I think we just ID'd the town's traitor! By NETHYS I'm good!" Slidell crows, preening so badly even the familiar takes a break from eating table scraps to shake his head at him.

"Well? What are you all waiting for? An engraved invitation? Let's go visit the Glassworks! I have a couple of questions I'd like to ask Mr. Kaijtistu."

He turns to Ehlissa, and in a much calmer voice says, "If your feeling up to going, might I suggest you wear your armor this time?" He says with a grin. "We don't want you having a relapse!"

"How about you?" He asks suddenly, turning on Salome. "From the blood in her room, Ameiko may be injured. We could probably use your assistance. You were ready to use that thing earlier,..." He indicates her scimitar. "If Tsuto IS involved with the goblins, I'll bet I can promise you a more tempting target for your blade than me!" Or not! :P

"I just need to grab my crossbow and staff from the room,..." He begins muttering as he walks toward the door. He stops halfway there and turns back to the others. Then makes a grand sweeping 'after you' gesture towards the door. "Shall we?!"

I'm assuming that Slidell can read the letter. I don't know EXactly what it says, but I got the gist from your earlier sketch of it. Right or wrong, Sli has a clue! And he's not letting it go! To the Glassworks!


Male Human Ranger 1/Fighter 1 (xp: 1920)
Slidell Stormraven wrote:


"Well? What are you all waiting for? An engraved invitation? Let's go visit the Glassworks! I have a couple of questions I'd like to ask Mr. Kaijtistu."

"Indeed." Says Corran simply. "This inactivity is...irritating."

He then busies himself helping Ehlissa don her armor. Under his breath he asks her, "Are you up for this?"


Male Human (Varisian) Spellthief 4 (XP = 6405) as of 7/28, Wrathspawn and Shrine (10,000xp = 5th level)

Vesh hefts his pack. "Ready," he says.

A calm feeling soothes his nerves as he feels the butterfly medalion against the skin of his chest. At least I think I'm ready. Vesh swallows, adjusts his pack once more, and thumbs his short sword in its sheath.

Desna be with us.


"Let's go then." I say, following Slidell out the door. On my way out I toss Vesh the dagger "I'm guessing we'll need it."


Male Human (Varisian) Spellthief 4 (XP = 6405) as of 7/28, Wrathspawn and Shrine (10,000xp = 5th level)

Vesh catches the dagger and spins it blade first to feels its weight for throwing. "Right." He says to Malcolm's back and tucks the dagger back into his belt.

Turning to Bethana, he takes her hands in his and gives her a peck on the forehead. "I'm sure we'll find Ameiko." He says, more to reassure himself than her. Taking his leave he adds, "Keep the lamps lit for us..."

"Oh, and if Shayliss should call. Tell her I'm off to do something ... dangerous." He says with a crooked smile and a tone of carefree bravado that he does not, in fact, feel.


SUB_Corran wrote:

"Indeed." Says Corran simply. "This inactivity is...irritating."

He then busies himself helping Ehlissa don her armor. Under his breath he asks her, "Are you up for this?"

Smiling at the ranger, Ehlissa stretches a little as she settles the armor, grateful for the help. "I certainly hope so. I won't let Sandpoint down." She says, strapping her new blade securely to her hip. Tying her hair back to stop it bothering her, she faces Corran squarely, a smile on her face.

"Shall we?"


Female Human Cleric
Slidell wrote:
"How about you?" He asks suddenly, turning on Salome. "We could probably use your assistance. You were ready to use that thing earlier,..."

Salome's eyes narrow and her amber eyes flash dangerously. "You presume much, majji." She turns away, but continues to observe their hasty preparations.

What have I to do with these people? I am a stranger, and I owe them nothing...

Mentally, she circles them. Lady Ehlissa, the indomitable warrior-woman. Another warrior -- Kuhrran, was it? -- quiet, dependable. Impulsive, but sincere Vesh. The mysterious sailor and Sulidella the majji. There's plenty of bravado and valor there, a willingness to fight for the town. She can certainly help put them back together after the fighting is done...

"Tat tvam asi," explained Garjjan De when Salome looked questioningly into his eyes. "We are all connected. We cry in the face of sadness. We share laughter, anger, and song. I could not be a good man and stand idly while you are harmed. Tat tvam asi."

Salome awakens from her reverie to see Slidell's expectant face looking down at her, as if waiting for a response. "Tat tvam asi," she states matter-of-factly. "Thou art that. You need a healer and I'll go." As he walks off, satisfied, she adds under her breath, "But I still don't know if you can turn cream into butter."

Assuming Salome is equipped adequately -- she seems like one who would be prepared for anything -- she will accompany the group to the glassworks.


The Sandpoint Glassworks is an imposing stone and mortar building that juts out of a cliff above the sea at the western edge of town. It towers above the ramshackle warehouse district that makes up Industrial Sandpoint. Approaching late in the day, the sun in your eyes, you squint in a futile attempt to make out the details of the building. The roof is a flat plane broken here and there by chimneys puffing faint streams of acrid black smoke into the blue sky. The smells of salt water and heavy industry mingle in the air.

Suddenly the clatter of iron-shod hoofs on the cobbles tears your eyes from the building and back to the road in front of you. A grey horse gallops towards you. Caught in a moment of hesitation, you freeze in the middle of the road. Just as you make to dash into the cover of a nearby building, the horse abruptly veers to the north, the blue-grey cloak of its rider flapping furiously.

Perception DC 20:

Spoiler:

As the horse turns, the rider looks back at you. He is wearing the colors of the town guard and has a droopy brown mustache.

As the echoes of steel on stone fade into the distance, a dreary silence interrupted only by the cawing of seabirds settles over the company. This area of town is practically deserted. You are well beyond the shops and taverns, now. Warehouses line the streets and crowd narrow, twisting alleys.

It is in one of these, not two short blocks from the Glassworks that you hear the plaintive whining of an animal in distress. A flicker of movement - grey and white fur - catches your eye. Then, from the darkenss of a shadowy overhang, a pair of yellow eyes catch yours as they glimmer in a mote of stray sunlight.

The creature lets out a familiar yip and hobbles gingerly towards you. It is Veren - Naelah's wolf. And it is injured.

Veren is reduced to 2 hp


Male Human (Varisian) Spellthief 4 (XP = 6405) as of 7/28, Wrathspawn and Shrine (10,000xp = 5th level)

Vesh's NON-perception check (1d20-4=5)

"Veren!" Vesh rushes to the wolf, and his heart momentarily soars--until he sees Veren's condition. "What has happened to you?"

"You and the wolf are the same." He hears her voice in his ears. By Desna! Can Naelah be in there as well? His heart sinks as he thinks this.


Male Human Wizard 2/Sor 1

"Crazy Templeday drivers!" Slidell shouts at the driver as he rounds the corner. "Somebody outta figure out a way to regulate people who drive those things,..." He mutters as he collects himself and makes sure he still has all of his gear.

JSL wrote:

you hear the plaintive whining of an animal in distress. A flicker of movement - grey and white fur - catches your eye. Then, from the darkenss of a shadowy overhang, a pair of yellow eyes catch yours as they glimmer in a mote of stray sunlight.

The creature lets out a familiar yip and hobbles gingerly towards you. It is Veren - Naelah's wolf. And it is injured.

Slidell taps Vesh on the shoulder. "Hey Vesh. If I didn't know any better, I'd say that looked like Veren." He says distractedly.

"But that can't be Veren, because Neahlah,...left,... VEREN?!" HE exclaims, his brain finally catching up to what he is seeing. He runs to the wolf with the others. When he tries to touch him, Veren growls half-heartedly at Slidell, but when Vesh whispers something in Shoanti, he wearily accepts the attention from the others.

"The canine prints in the alley, we were both wrong Corran, it must have been Veren here. And that means that the soft shoe prints you found are probably,... Neahlah! What in Nethys' name was she doing in the alley?!? And more importantly,... where is she now?!?" He looks wide eyed at the others.

"Oh, Desna." Slidell says when Veren whimpers under his touch, and his hand comes away bloody. "He's hurt pretty bad." He turns to Salome, "Salome, this is Veren, he is the companion of Neahlah, the woman I was telling you about. We thought she had left, but if HE's still here, then SHE's still here too! I'm not asking you to use up all of your deities' blessings when we may have to enter 'agressive negotiations' soon, but is there anything you can do for him?" He asks, Almost plaintively.

For just a moment, the others can see a side of Slidell that they haven't seen before, but before they can identify what that might be, the moment is gone, and Slidell looks as he always has. At the moment that is concerned but distracted, obviously already contemplating another clue. Or something,...

Yeah, not even posting my spot checks. Even the BIRD is embarrassed! Lol! (Cry)

Cheliax

My post here (just preceding Slidell's) and several posts on the discussion thread have disappeared. If you wait a bit, they might show back up. I'm certainly going to wait until the morning before I bother to repost.

EDIT: And...there it is!


With a colorful curse I leap out of the horseman's way a moment before he veers off. Under my breath I mutter "I never did like horses."
Perception 24 (19+5)
"Mustachioed idiot! And they let someone like that by a watchman."

Slidell Stormraven wrote:
"Crazy Templeday drivers!" Slidell shouts at the driver as he rounds the corner. "Somebody outta figure out a way to regulate people who drive those things,..." He mutters as he collects himself and makes sure he still has all of his gear.

"I've heard caltrops are quite effective against speeding...Veren?!" I say in surprise, interuppting my previous line of thought. I look around "Where's Naelah then? I don't think that Veren would just wander off without her."

Slidell Stormraven wrote:
"The canine prints in the alley, we were both wrong Corran, it must have been Veren here. And that means that the soft shoe prints you found are probably,... Neahlah! What in Nethys' name was she doing in the alley?!? And more importantly,... where is she now?!?" He looks wide eyed at the others.

"But why would She have been at the Rusty Dragon? Unless she was helping the goblins, which is completely immprobable, she should be long gone by now."


Male Human (Varisian) Spellthief 4 (XP = 6405) as of 7/28, Wrathspawn and Shrine (10,000xp = 5th level)
Sir Malcolm of Riddleport wrote:


"But why would She have been at the Rusty Dragon?

"Good question," Says Vesh. As he scratches Veren behind the ears, he absently asks, "Ehlissa, didn't you see her last night at the White Deer? Did she say anything about going to the Rusty Dragon?"

But, before Ehlissa can answer, he just realizes what Malcolm has said:

Sir Malcolm of Riddleport wrote:


"Mustachioed idiot! And they let someone like that by a watchman."

"Wait!" He exclaims startling Veren some. "Did you just say Mustachioed? Was that Horatio who just rode by?"

I'm having difficulty with the spacial relationships (and don't have my player's guide handy), was the rider going towards the glassworks or away? Are we approaching from the South?


Male Human (Varisian) Spellthief 4 (XP = 6405) as of 7/28, Wrathspawn and Shrine (10,000xp = 5th level)

Nevermind the spacial relationship comment, above. Once I re-read the post and looked at the map in the player's guide, I think I know what direction we're going in. Thx.


Almost ridden over, Ehlissa spits out an unladylike curse in surprise, before letting out another surprised sound, decidedly a happier one.

"Iomedae's Grace! Veren!" She cries, tears springing to her eyes at seeing the stalwart wolf in such a condition. Thinking quickly, she realizes, along with the others, that Naelah must be nearby.

"Salome, can you help him? I know he is a wolf, but he is a dear companion." She asks, turning pleading eyes on the desert woman.


Vesh wrote:


But, before Ehlissa can answer, he just realizes what Malcolm has said:
Sir Malcolm of Riddleport wrote:


"Mustachioed idiot! And they let someone like that by a watchman."
"Wait!" He exclaims startling Veren some. "Did you just say Mustachioed? Was that Horatio who just rode by?"

"Could've been. He was moving too fast ofr me to get a clear view of his face, He had a mustache and I think he was wearing a guard's uniform."


Female Human Cleric

Perception (1d20+4=11), - if relevant.

A wolf! They really do want me to stand in for their friend! she thinks to herself.

She looks at the injured beast and takes a breath. "I will see what I can do. Can someone hold him please?" Veren is surprisingly (to Salome, who has never been this close to such an animal) compliant. She kneels next to the animal and feels his warm breath on her arm as she places a hand on his head.

Casts Cure Light Wounds (1d8+3)

Then, remembering, she quickly rises. "What about the girl? Does anyone know where she is? My guess is that if her wolf is injured like this, she cannot be well herself." She feels an urgency she cannot put words to.


Male Human Wizard 2/Sor 1

When Salome heals Veren, Slidell releases a breath he had not even realized that he was holding. "Thank you." He says simply, watching a much happier Veren accepting an ear scratch from Vesh.

Vesh wrote:
"Wait!" He exclaims startling Veren some. "Did you just say Mustachioed? Was that Horatio who just rode by?"

Slidell looks puzzled, "Waitaminute,...I thought you had decided that the 'mustached man' who you saw watching you was Horatio? Did you ever figure out where you know him from? And if that WAS Horatio, where has he been all day? And where in Nethys' Name was he going in such a Haste spell hurry?!?!"

Salome wrote:
"What about the girl? Does anyone know where she is? My guess is that if her wolf is injured like this, she cannot be well herself." She feels an urgency she cannot put words to.

At this question, Slidell's mind slips back on track with an audible click.

"Vesh! You speak Shoanti!" He bobs his head from side to side, "Well, more or less. Try telling Veren to 'find Neahlah'. If that doesn't work, we can keep him with us until we find her. But I suspect that if she was at the site of Ameiko's kidnapping, we will probably find those two not so very far apart!" He finishes grimly.

"And, if as I suspect, Veren leads us to across the street to the glassworks,... I suggest that we let him have his way with those responsible." He adds in a tone that does not bode well for those aforementioned people.


Male Human (Varisian) Spellthief 4 (XP = 6405) as of 7/28, Wrathspawn and Shrine (10,000xp = 5th level)
Slidell Stormraven wrote:

And where in Nethys' Name was he going in such a Haste spell hurry?!?!"

Gary Gygax called, he wants his writing style back :P Vesh is going to steal "Haste Spell Hurry" and using it a sentence before post #800. Not only a Spellthief, but a spell-joke-thief.

Slidell Stormraven wrote:


"Vesh! You speak Shoanti!" He bobs his head from side to side, "Well, more or less. Try telling Veren to 'find Neahlah'..."

Vesh does a double-take. "I think he speaks Common, but--" Turning to Veren he says, "Veren nath Naelah, pe nath Naelah."

-----------------------
Shoanti Fun:

Spoiler:

nath=find; pe=go


Salome wrote:
She looks at the injured beast and takes a breath. "I will see what I can do. Can someone hold him please?" Veren is surprisingly (to Salome, who has never been this close to such an animal) compliant. She kneels next to the animal and feels his warm breath on her arm as she places a hand on his head.

Your hands warm as positive energy flows through them and into Veren. The wolf responds instantly, stiffening at first, then relaxing, as its torn flesh mends.

Usual rule applies for cure spells; they are Maximized if cast outside of combat and casting time is increased to one minute. Veren now has max HP, I believe.

Vesh wrote:
Vesh does a double-take. "I think he speaks Common, but--" Turning to Veren he says, "Veren nath Naelah, pe nath Naelah."

Veren looks at you curiously, his tongue lolling and eyes bright. He then takes a few cautious steps until he is sure of his footing. Pausing a moment to stretch, he bounds down the street towards the Glassworks. However, before reaching the towering stone ediface, he veers to the side leading you out towards the cliff and around the back of the building. The ground is rocky and trecherous; however, you are in no danger as the cliff face is 20 yards farther west.

Running to keep up with the lanky wolf, you round the building and stop dead in your tracks stunned.

The backside of the Glassworks - what you had expeted to be monolithic grey stone - is resplendant with gorgeous windows glimmering in the afternoon sun. All of the windows are stained plate glass of myriad colors and they are huge - each measures easily 20 feet high. Just looking at them you are lost in the swirling mixture of colors and shapes. Geometric designs interweave with naturalist vistas and abstract sworls of color.

Unfortunately, the windows are nearly opaque and you can only see the barest hints of movement inside the building.

An iron banded wood door is located at one side of the building. It is here that Veren patently awaits you.


Male Human (Varisian) Spellthief 4 (XP = 6405) as of 7/28, Wrathspawn and Shrine (10,000xp = 5th level)
JSL wrote:


Veren looks at you curiously, his tongue lolling and eyes bright.

I have that effect on people.

JSL wrote:


Unfortunately, the windows are nearly opaque and you can only see the barest hints of movement inside the building.

I've got a bad feeling about this, thinks Vesh as he moves past the windows. He feels exposed on this side of the glass with the sun to his back.

JSL wrote:


An iron banded wood door is located at one side of the building. It is here that Veren patently awaits...

Vesh waits until the others have taken up positions and examines the door and lock closely (for traps) before gingerly testing the door to see if it is locked. If it is locked, Vesh kneels and picks it. If it is not locked, he looks to double-check that everyone has weapons ready, draws his own short sword, and then opens it.

---------------------------------------
JSL, can Malcolm move up to aid me with any of these checks?

Search check (1d20+7=16)
Pick lock (1d20+9=23)
Oh, if necessary here's Vesh's Disable device roll (1d20+9=26)


Vesh wrote:

Vesh waits until the others have taken up positions and examines the door and lock closely (for traps) before gingerly testing the door to see if it is locked. If it is locked, Vesh kneels and picks it. If it is not locked, he looks to double-check that everyone has weapons ready, draws his own short sword, and then opens it.

The door is locked, but not with a key lock. It is barred from the inside. Fortunately, the door's construction was not perfect and you are able to slip the blade of your sword between the two halves of the door and lift the bar enough for Malcolm to ease one of the door open slightly.

So you can open the door, but you have the bar awkwardly perched on your sword. Make a DC 15 REF save (aid another can help) to catch the bar as you (or someone else) opens the door.


Male Human (Varisian) Spellthief 4 (XP = 6405) as of 7/28, Wrathspawn and Shrine (10,000xp = 5th level)
JSL wrote:


So you can open the door, but you have the bar awkwardly perched on your sword. Make a DC 15 REF save (aid another can help) to catch the bar as you (or someone else) opens the door.

Vesh whispers to Malcolm, "I've got the bar up, but I'll have to catch it as you open the door. Corran, or someone, can you hold the other door steady?" He glances again to see that everyone is poised and then makes his move. "On three, Malcolm. One, two, three..."

Vesh's REF check (1d20+2=9) Bugger!

JSL, Can both Corran and Malcolm roll to aid Vesh? I guess it doesn't matter in that they could only contribute a total bonus of +4.


Male Human Ranger 1/Fighter 1 (xp: 1920)

Corran nods and holds the door steady, sword drawn.

Corran's REF check to aid (1d20+4=24)

JSL:

Spoiler:

Since Corran aced his check, can he make a grab for the bar? I thought I'd ask; I hate to see a Natural 20 go to waste!


As Vesh's balancing act falters, Corran lunges forward pulling the door open and diving to catch the bar an inch above the stone floor. Clambering to his knees, he hesitates, looking from his hands to the floor.

"There has been blood spilled here some nights ago. Look."

The floor is extremely smooth except for a pair of shallow ruts leading into the building.

Corran takes his dagger and scrapes some of the dirt from one of the ruts. Holding the weapon in the sunlight, you see that the "dirt" is rust colored. "Dried blood."

While looking around you also notice that the back side of the door is rent with deep scratches. A jagged piece of metal is wedged in the door at knee height.

The corridor before you is 10 feet wide. A second pair of double doors leading to the left is located at the far end.

Knowledge Architecture DC 10

Spoiler:
This door was likely used for delivery of large items, such as finished glasswork. The interior door probably leads directly to the workroom.


I flash a wide smile at Salome "Many thanks to you. It seems we owe you another debt of gratitude."
I follow everyone else to the back of the building and I look around, admiring the view and looking for any danger while Vesh works on the door.
Perception 25
I lunge forward to catch the bar just as Corran catches it. I peer in the door and mutter "I don't like this. Let's be careful; if I were a traitor inside the Glassworks or a kidnapper of Ameiko I'd anticipate someone investigate and leave a few nasty surprise for any investigators." I catiously advance to the doors and quitely ask "Left or right?"


Sir Malcolm of Riddleport wrote:
I catiously advance to the doors and quitely ask "Left or right?"

These doors are quite heavy and are also bound with iron bands. They are faintly warm to the touch. From beyond you hear muffled sounds: nothing distinct, mostly crashing and banging punctuated by an occasional high pitched screech. The door is latched with an iron pin, but does not appear to be locked.

Earlier when I posted on my work computer I did not have access to the map, which is on my laptop. My description of the hallway was a little off. HERE is the map. Mal is standing by the double door at F5. The corridor continues into darkness. You are welcome to continue or take the door. However, I will note that in the interest of making this playable as a PbP, I have simplified the dungeon crawling. Don't expect dungeons to be too dynamic. Otherwise if we had to go through standard issue DnD dungeon procedures, we'd never finish. ;)


Male Human (Varisian) Spellthief 4 (XP = 6405) as of 7/28, Wrathspawn and Shrine (10,000xp = 5th level)
JSL wrote:


The corridor before you is 10 feet wide. A second pair of double doors leading to the left is located at the far end.

So our options are, what, down the hall further or through the double doors?

Also, can Vesh identify the jagged metal shard in the door?
------------
Vesh's muscles tense as he feels the bar slipping as he whispers "two," but Corran...

JSL wrote:
...lunges forward pulling the door open and diving to catch the bar an inch above the stone floor. Clambering to his knees, he hesitates, looking from his hands to the floor.

"Nicely done," he whispers to Corran and moves into the room where the backside of the doors catch his attention...

Sir Malcolm of Riddleport wrote:
I catiously advance to the doors and quitely ask "Left or right?"

Vesh turns from examining the backside of the door and the metal shard, once again wearing the furrowed brow and frown that have become trademark for him.

"What do you hear at the doors?" Vesh asks Malcolm through a combination of whispers and hand signals.


Male Human Wizard 2/Sor 1

Confused on the map. If the door is at F5, leading into what looks like a big room (that we can't see), is that another door 'behind' us in the hallway?

Slidell looked confused when Veren turns away from the front of the Glassworks. "I was so sure,..." He mutters. Then regains his grin as Veren heads to the back of the building. "Hah! Told you so!" He stage whispers to Vesh.

He is momentarily dazzled by the unexpected beauty of the windows on the back of the building. But is drawn back to the present by Vesh's whispered curse when the bar slips, only to be caught by Corran.

He takes a moment to pull out and load his crossbow, then joins the others in the careful examination of the entrance.

"If the blood is this dry, it has been here for a while." He whispers to Malcolm. "Remember when I said that the first attackers came TOO fast? Some of them must have already been INSIDE the town? Well, they came from THIS direction!" He looks around outside once more, then fully enters the building. "Now, how did they get into HERE?!?" He looks both ways down the hallway. "Wagons? Crates? Boxes?"

He resettles his wide brimmed hat, and brings his crossbow into the ready position. Salome may not know whether or not he can turn cream into butter, but it looks like he knows how to handle the weapon at least.

He listens as Malcolm whispers the description of what he is hearing through the double doors.

"???,... That doesn't sound like good manufacturing techniques to me. At least not for a glass factory!" He slips the safety off his crossbow.

"Just assuming the worse." He looks at the others. "Hey, just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they AREN'T out to get me! What's the order of entry?"


Vesh wrote:


So our options are, what, down the hall further or through the double doors?

Also, can Vesh identify the jagged metal shard in the door?

Yes, those are your choices. The piece of metal looks like the business end of a dogslicer.


Male Human (Varisian) Spellthief 4 (XP = 6405) as of 7/28, Wrathspawn and Shrine (10,000xp = 5th level)

Vesh spits. "Goblins," he whispers. He joins Malcolm at the other doors.

Marching order, everyone? EDIT: see discussion thread.


Female Human Cleric

"Goblins?" Salome tenses and grasps the amulet hanging around her neck. "Goblins attacked the caravan I was in on my way to Sandpont. They were really vicious. If there are goblins behind that door, what should we do? I can offer [i]some[i/] protection i.e., Bless..."


Male Human Wizard 2/Sor 1

"Goblins?!" Echoes Slidell, soundly vaguely like a parrot.

He then nods at Salome's offer of protection for the group. "MInd your timing, if your protections don't last long, wait to cast them until combat is close or started. This spell, on the other hand,..." He pulls out an unidentifiable bit of mystic flotsam from a vest pocket, gestures briefly, ending up with his hand up, palm facing out, and mutters "Teiros Eisys" There is a brief shimmer of light in the air surrounding him, which settles onto his lanky frame and coalesces into a faintly shimmering field.

"... lasts for a good three hours. I'm set. IF these are goblins, and by Desna's blessing they happen to be huddled up, try to keep them that way, I have a spell that may help take a group down faster." He brings his crossbow back up to ready, but keeps it pointed high so he can't shoot a teammate in the back.

He looks around, "Enter quiet until spotted, then let 'em have it?" He asks, taking up his position at the rear of the group.

Elvish Translation,...

Spoiler:
Teiros Eisys="Mage Armor" (As if you didn't know!)

Goblins are not usually the most tactically brilliant creatures, as we saw earlier, but they ARE clever, in their own, sick, twisted way. Slidell is suggesting that we sneak in as a group, and either attack all at once, (surprise round) or attack/cast bless once they spot us. Trying to let them come to us is also sound strategy, but we all know that NO plan survives contact with the enemy!


Slidell Stormraven wrote:
Confused on the map. If the door is at F5, leading into what looks like a big room (that we can't see), is that another door 'behind' us in the hallway?

Yes, it's the one you came in. I goofed the description of the place so badly without the map and I had only a few minutes before needing to catch the train home that I just posted the map instead of trying to revise the description.

Whoever is opening the door must make a Stealth check DC 12 to achieve surprise and cannot act in the surprise round (opening the door is their action) others can take a single action (move or standard) if you surprise the guys on the oher side of the door.


"Vesh, will you do the honors?" Ehlissa asked, drawing her new longsword after ensuring her shield was secured to her arm. "I will take point." Despite her illness, she was still willing to enter the fray. "Corran, enter behind me, fan left. Vesh, Mal, and Salome, you're next. Slidell, bring up the rear, if you would. Lets try and stick together."

Her recent battle experience seemed to have changed her - she was stronger, more sure of herself, willing to lead.

"Ready?"

Okay, Ehlissa would have to be Zoe - she's tough enough.


Male Human (Varisian) Spellthief 4 (XP = 6405) as of 7/28, Wrathspawn and Shrine (10,000xp = 5th level)
Ehlissa wrote:
"Vesh, will you do the honors?"

Vesh quietly drops his pack and stows it by the entrance they've just come through (leaving him with weapons, armor, and material components).

Sheathing his sword, he pulls out his bow instead. He grasps the iron pin with his off-hand. He smiles at Ehlissa and tips his head. "Milady," he says, "on three?"

When it appears that the others are in position, he starts, "One."

Good luck my friends. "Two."

May Desna be with us. "Three."

He pulls the pin and swings the door open in one smooth motion.

Vesh's Stealth check (1d20+7=16).

And, just in case we need it coming up, Vesh's initiative roll (1d20+6=23).


Male Human Ranger 1/Fighter 1 (xp: 1920)
Ehlissa the Stand-In wrote:

"Corran, enter behind me, fan left...Ready?"

Corran unsheathes his sword and nods at Ehlissa. "Ready," he says. His muscles flex as Vesh counts. As the pin slides and the door opens, he springs...

Corran's initiative roll, if necessary (1d20+2=16).


The moment the door is open, Ehlissa is through, moving clear of the entrance and scanning for any of the little creatures.

Perception (1d20+1=5)

Initiative (1d20+5=19)


Male Human Ranger 1/Fighter 1 (xp: 1920)

Good point! Corran's Perception check, if necessary (1d20+5=20)

Corran moves in and to Ehlissa's left.


Female Human Cleric

Salome falls in behind Ehlissa and Corran. She grasps her scimitar with her right hand and her ankh with her left.

Initiative (1d20+1=2)

FYI: Bless works in a 50ft. radius around the caster, lasts 1 min./level (2 minutes in this case), and gives a +1 morale bonus on attack rolls and saving throws against fear. Even though I have low initiative, you'll all probably be within range regardless of the first action you take.

Shadow Lodge

Male Human (Sometimes) Gamer 10/ Writer 7/University Student 5.
Salome wrote:


Initiative (1d20+1=2)

Worst roll ever. I feel really bad for you, lol.


Male Human Wizard 2/Sor 1

Slidell follows Salome through the door, stepping only far enough to the side to try and keep a clear line of fire that doesn't include his companions. He and his familiar look like a children's puppet show as they both first look one way, and then the other.

Slidell Initiative roll (1d20=10+2=12)

Slidell & Veren perception checks (1d20-1=9, 1d20+5=19)

Have I mentioned how much I love this bird?!? ;P

Cheliax

PsionicFox wrote:
Salome wrote:


Initiative (1d20+1=2)
Worst roll ever. I feel really bad for you, lol.

Watch. All this and there won't be anything in the darn room!


At Vesh's shove, the door swings open smoothly on well oiled hinges and a blast of hot, smoky air greets you, stinging your eyes and causing you to instinctively cover your mouths with loose clothing. The room before you is a long workshop that must measure close to the length of the building. The lighting is lurid and disconcerting - a combination of sunlight through the stained windows to your left and smoke and flames of all colors and strengths spewing from the series of glass ovens lining the right wall. The contents of the room are in utter disarray. Tools and broken glass are scattered on the tables and floor. Among them lie items of a more grotesque nature: severed human limbs and even a head, partially encased in molten glass. Propped near to you against one of the tables is an intact human body encased in glass - apparently while still living. The features are distinct though burned and melted and the family resemblance is apparent: this is (or was) Ameiko's father. Face frozen in agony, tattered flesh hanging from crystalized bones, the corpse of Lonjiku Kaijitsu surveys the empire he built while living - now in its death throes.

Throughout the room, scattered on top of and under tables, gazing at you from the windows and the ovens are goblins. Eight of them. The beady-eyed freaks are in the process of destroying everything they can get their hands on and stuffing anything that will fit - or that can be broken, smashed or crushed to fit - into the ovens. At the opposite side of the room a slender man in a white clothes is hastily stuffing some items and papers into a canvas sack. Seeing you, he gives a shout and the goblins turn towards you, a mixture of hatred and hunger in their toothy grins. Grabbing up whatever they have at hand, - from dogslicers to shards of glass and flaming brands - they rush to the attack.

In order to prevent having a ton of goblins all go at once, I've split them into groups with different initiative counts. The goblins are surprised, the man at the back of the room is not. Therefore, you can each take a single action on your initiative count and so can he, but the goblins cannot. Please start your movement from the doors. Whoever goes first can charge to square J9. After that, there are no charge lanes open, so others will probably be stuck just moving during the surprise round. If that is the case and your init is better than the gobbos, post your surprise round and first round together.

MAP

Initiative Order:
?? Malcolm
23 Vesh
19 Ehlissa
16 Corran
15 Tsuto
13 Goblins (red)
12 Slidell
07 Goblins (blue)
02 Salome


Male Human Ranger 1/Fighter 1 (xp: 1920)

Following Ehlissa through the door, Corran breaks left as instructed. Far left. "Sandpoint!" He cries.

Surprise round: He moves six squares to D8.

Round 1 action: He moves around the table to D10 and attacks the gobbo at E10 with his longsword.

Corran's longsword attack on goblin at E10 (1d20+6=10, 1d8+3=8). The love affair with Invisible Castle begins!!!


Male Human (Varisian) Spellthief 4 (XP = 6405) as of 7/28, Wrathspawn and Shrine (10,000xp = 5th level)

Vesh opens the door and follows Corran as he breaks left.

I hope he knows where he's going!

He stops short at the table and fires across it to the goblin that Corran is engaging.

Surprise round: Vesh open door.

Round one: Vesh moves 4 squares to E7 and fires an arrow at the gobbo at E10:

Vesh's arrow attack at goblin at E10 (1d20+4=16, 1d6+1=3).
----------------------------------

Once again, JSL, thanks for taking the time to prep a battle map. It makes this so much easier!


Ehlissa will not take the charge action. The Goblins count as being flat-footed, so she can't attack them yet (It breaks her knightly code).

Clearing the doorway, Ehlissa points her sword at the nearest goblin, her voice becoming strong and resolute. "Die, goblin scum!"

Move to J6. Using Knight's Challenge on Goblin in J10.

Veren: Veren will most likely move to attack the goblin in G11. Charging if he can, and making a trip attack. Unless you just want to NPC him JSL.


Ehlissa the Stand-In wrote:


Veren: Veren will most likely move to attack the goblin in G11. Charging if he can, and making a trip attack. Unless you just want to NPC him JSL.

Please go ahead and play Veren. I don't think he can charge because of the angle, but he can certainly make the attack on the first full round. He needs his init rolled, too. If he moves on the surprise round, he can attack and potentially move away on the first round.

The man scans you, his face impassive, but his eyes radiate hatred and anger. He closes up his bag, slinging it over his shoulder and readies a bow. That is his action for the surprise round. Waiting for Mal and Sli...

701 to 750 of 2,491 << first < prev | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / JSL's Runelords Campaign All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.