Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
About Paizo Messageboards News Paizo Blog Help/FAQ
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

What's in your collection?


D&D 3.5/d20/OGL

51 to 100 of 112 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | next > last >>

Gavgoyle wrote:
I collect comic books and works from several authors. I have a bit of a thing for scorpions, so I have lots of scorpion bric-a-brac.

scorpion bric-a-bric - Those two words just sound cool together.

Besides books, comics, DnD stuff, Star Wars figs, etc... I tend to collect cheap beer coasters from bars around the world. It was always the last thing I did after I paid my tab. Pick it up and slap it in my back pocket.

Osirion

Pathfinder Battles Case Subscriber; Pathfinder Modules, Roleplaying Game Subscriber

Stuff I collect

Single Malt Scotch (although I keep drinking my collection)
Really Bad MST3K-worthy movies (368 and counting...)
Fantasy Miniatures
Dwarven Forge Master Maze
and of course...
additional house space to store all this clutter.

Gary


I collect lots of things, comics being the main and longest running thing, followed by music and films.

Other stuff I collect: D&D products including Dungeon and Dragon mags, metal and plastic miniatures, dwarven forge master maze and simular 'dungeon stuff', books, posters, journals, weapons of all varieties including many kung-fu related things.
(We moved home a couple of years ago and now have a spare room full of weapons, shields, halberds and all kinds of stuff, unfortunately we’ve really lost interest in it all and don’t know what to do with it, I should just sell it all off or give it away but part of us really wants the world to go Mad Max at some point so we can one day get some use out of it – not that we’re crazy or anything… honest!) ;)

I also like McFarlane’s toys (movie maniacs and things like that), Aliens, Predator, Big Trouble in Little China and other memorabilia from favorite movies, silver jewelry (but never really wear it), shiny objects, art supplies, stones and pieces of wood I find outside that look interesting, boxes, wooden and metal chests, candles, dog collars, fashion items, bondage/fetish gear, old coins, Edward Hopper art prints, cats, old things from places I’ve been or from people I’ve met, Author signatures etc.

However, I do all this rather passively and haven’t got any major ‘must have’ collective urges I’m not really a completist either (apart from when it comes to music and film and I must have all the entire collection of a certain artist or series) so I mainly just go with whether I like something or not and don’t feel a have to own it like some collectors do.
I have a friend of a friend who collects empty lager, bitter and beer cans obsessively and he spends a lot of time hunting them out or spending cash in order to get them, I don’t have anything like that really, more power to the people who do though. I think it would be cool to have a hobby or collection I was super-passionate about.

edit: I forgot to mention my collection of Street Fighter 2 and related Streetfighter items. I can beat anyone one at those games. I don't mind shouting I totally rule with Ken or Guile. ;)


I'm not obsessive enough to collect things, but I do buy a lot of books, mainly fantasy, science-fiction and classics. I used to collect seashells, colourful insects and gemstones when I was a teenager, but that's all gone now.


A friend of mine collects Hello Kitty stuff, much to her anoyance. She's not sure why, or how it started, but apparently just about everyone she knows eventualy buys her something of Hello Kitty. So far I'm one of the only people who hasn't yet, though I did just about get her a pair of Strawberry Shortcake undies.

As for myself, weirdest thing I collect would be penguins. A girl I was dating got a rather big kick out of that, then introduced me to the Anita Blake series. Good books up until they turned into little more than erotica. Other than that it's pretty basic, knives, books, miniatures, dead poodles. I guess technicaly I collect piercings also, and will so be collecting tattoos.


Lilith wrote:
Carnivore wrote:
I collect pin-up art.
Rock on! Any Vargas stuff in there? Vargas is good stuff, along with any of the Bomber nose art stuff. :D

The only Vargas stuff I have is an incomplete collection of Vargas trading cards. I do have a full collection of Elvgren trading cards, some lithographs from Elvgren and a couple calendars.

I have a coffee table book called "Bomber Art of WWII" that I got last year at Powell's for real cheap. It's great stuff and contains art other than chicks in bikinis.


Carnivore wrote:
I have a coffee table book called "Bomber Art of WWII" that I got last year at Powell's for real cheap. It's great stuff and contains art other than chicks in bikinis.

Powell's is always a required stop for me, though I have yet to make it to the Cookbook store, as well as thoroughly peruse the Art section.


LOTS of Books (including D&D books and college textbooks)(thanks for the inspiration to add some additional description, Heath), atlases and maps, cds, dvds, newspaper articles that have caught my interest, magazines (Discover, National Geographic, Canadian Geographic), weapons (any sort) (decorative and possibly functional), coins, assorted miscellaneous stuff (arrowheads, rocks, various other things), computer games (ST:Armada series, Alpha Centauri, Civilization series, LotR:Battle for Middle Earth), board games (chess, risk), posters of wildlife, nature scenes, some movie posters, notes from college classes. I'm a pack rat, possibly it's genetic or learned or a combination of the two (everyone in my family is a pack rat)

Collected some D&D minis when the WotC ones first appeared but after buying couple random packs each of Harbinger, Dragoneye, and Archfiends, decided to buy the individual minis either from Paizo or FLGS rather than random boxes, and the Icons Gargantuan Black (relatively cheap on Amazon.ca, esp. since figures are Canadian $). Colossal Red not sure about, and Gargantuan Blue hasn't been released yet. I'd be interested to see Icons Colossal Gold, Colossal Silver, Gargantuan Bronze, Roc and Tarrasque.

Andoran

Books. Books. Books.
Books.
I rarely part with a book.
Books.
Books and Books. And books.
If I laid them end to end, I'd have a really long line of books.

Andoran

And book cases.


1 - postcards.
I buy them, I get people to get send them to me and I pick up free ones. I only keep the ones I really like in photo albums and I "prune" every six months or so, at the moment ( mid prune ) I probably have about 400+. I just really like the idea of squeezing an image into a 4 by 6 inch space and keeping it an effective image.

2 - old gamebooks.
Fighting fantasy, Lone wolf, way of the Tiger etc. BUT they have to be second hand...I swear I could call up at least a dozen previous owners who actually wrote their details on the inside covers of their books as young teenagers..

3 - Six sided dice. I'm like the pom-pom girl ( see first post ) in this regard. If I enter a shop with six -sided dice for sale I'll by one of each colour. In Toy stores I'll actually search them out.
And yes, I WISH i knew why...

I actually made a NY resolution last year NOT to buy any DVDs until I sat thru the 19 I had bought in the previous 12 months and NOT gotten around to watch. the result? ..I havn't bought a single one and 10 months later I've only got abput 14 DVDs to go...


bal3000 wrote:
I actually made a NY resolution last year NOT to buy any DVDs until I sat thru the 19 I had bought in the previous 12 months and NOT gotten around to watch. the result? ..I havn't bought a single one and 10 months later I've only got abput 14 DVDs to go...

I do follow the same principle with DVDs as with books: my collection does not refer only to what I have read/seen but also what I aspire to read/see. Thus I have books which will probably stay unread for a long while and DVDs I quite haven't got around to watching yet...

Or maybe I am just making excuses on not making resolutions like you have done :)


ZimlonBane wrote:
Gavgoyle wrote:
I collect comic books and works from several authors. I have a bit of a thing for scorpions, so I have lots of scorpion bric-a-brac.

scorpion bric-a-bric - Those two words just sound cool together.

Besides books, comics, DnD stuff, Star Wars figs, etc... I tend to collect cheap beer coasters from bars around the world. It was always the last thing I did after I paid my tab. Pick it up and slap it in my back pocket.

I used to collect matchbooks from different bars and clubs from the far and not-so-far corners of the world, but matchbooks with bar logos are rare in these parts, and anyway, since I left the military, I don't really get to the far corners anymore. :)

Andoran

Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Companion, Modules Subscriber
silenttimo wrote:

Apart tenth of D&D books & magazines (& minis), I also collect films.

If I include short feature films / movies, I think I have more than 2,000 movies (about 600 to 700 DVDs)...

And they're from the beginning of the movie history (several hundreds of short & long feature silent movies, from Hitchcock, John Ford, Chaplin, Keaton, Walsh, Fritz Lang, Murnau, Stroheim, Harold Lloyd, Lubitsch, ...) to movies like "Spiderman" 1 & 2 or "million dollar baby"...

I just love movies (even more than RPG !).

If I add the 500+ CDs we both own with my wife, about 250+ european comic books, and more than 500 books, we have a house full of various cultural things... and soon the baby to come will mess this up !, it's great !!

Actually, even if most of our stuff has been in box for too long (we moved and are still working in our new home to accomodate it !), the various collections we have with my wife are more like :

- 750 to 800 original DVDs,
- 550 to 600 original CDs,
- 500+ european comics,
- more than 60 books about movies / cinema / directors / hollywood / silent movies,
- 400 books (mostly novels or essays),
- 30+ boardgames other than RPG,
- 50+ various D&D books or adventures, about a 100 D&D mags, more than 1.000 minis.

Phew, I didn't know our collections were so big, since most box / package have not been opened for the last 18 months !!!!

Andoran

Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Companion, Modules Subscriber
magdalena thiriet wrote:
I do follow the same principle with DVDs as with books: my collection does not refer only to what I have read/seen but also what I aspire to read/see. Thus I have books which will probably stay unread for a long while and DVDs I quite haven't got around to watching yet...

I DO know what it's like...

My wife doesn't always understand !

I give you all my sympathy !!

;-))


The only thing I "collect" for collection's sake are:

souvenir golf balls from courses I've played
souvenir shot glasses from new places I've been

I put the golf balls into the shot glasses and then put them on this little golf ball collector's rack that's way overflowing now.

My friends also accuse me of collecting firearms, and I suppose that's true....I have 3 assault rifles, 2 shotguns, 2 hunting rifles, 4 revolvers and four semi-automatic pistols....but I live in Texas and if I don't keep buying them, my neighbors will have more guns than I do and we can't have that now, can we?

Plus, one of the shotguns, one of the assault rifles and two of the semi-automatic pistols don't count, because I use them at work.

My latest acquisition was a Marlin lever action rifle in .357 Magnum...really cool little rifle that shoots handgun ammunition. Great for camping, since it's so easy to carry. My wife actually liked it because she says it reminds her of Marshall Dillon and it was "cute." Joy......


Pathfinder Adventure Path Charter Subscriber; Pathfinder Comics Subscriber; Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Cards, Companion, Modules Subscriber
farewell2kings wrote:


My latest acquisition was a Marlin lever action rifle in .357 Magnum...really cool little rifle that shoots handgun ammunition. Great for camping, since it's so easy to carry. My wife actually liked it because she says it reminds her of Marshall Dillon and it was "cute." Joy......

Hmm... "cute" is not a word that would come to my mind describing firearms... But then, I don´t claim to comprehend that fascination with guns to start with. To each his own, I guess.

Stefan

Andoran

Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Companion, Modules Subscriber
Stebehil wrote:
farewell2kings wrote:


My latest acquisition was a Marlin lever action rifle in .357 Magnum...really cool little rifle that shoots handgun ammunition. Great for camping, since it's so easy to carry. My wife actually liked it because she says it reminds her of Marshall Dillon and it was "cute." Joy......

Hmm... "cute" is not a word that would come to my mind describing firearms... But then, I don´t claim to comprehend that fascination with guns to start with. To each his own, I guess.

Stefan

I guess owning firearms is not in any european constitution (I think...).

I have never thought of owning or collecting a firearm.

Th last weapon we bought are competition fencing swords of early 20th century (or late 19th), since my wife is a fencer and found them very nice (and they are !).

Ouside of those, I guess any saucepan in our kitchen, and some knives in our kitchen also could make good weapons...

But that's not their primary usefulness !!

However, as Stefan said, different countries, different customs !

Kudos, F2K...


I collect spores, molds, and fungus.

Andoran

Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Companion, Modules Subscriber
Keoki wrote:
I collect spores, molds, and fungus.

I've heard this one before...

"Ghostbusters" ??


Magic systems.

Small children.

Fairy tales.

Droids, Stormtroopers, and Bounty Hunters.

(oh, and more books than the Library of Alexandria!)


I'd love to say my days of collecting are over, but we all have made that promise to ourselves at one time or another now haven't we? :-)

I used to collect "good" books and movies, preferably stuff I thought would stand the test of time. Somewhere in the back of my head I have this vauge notion of passing these great titles on to another generation I think.

I've been good for about a year and a half now, but staving off the urge to buy "just one more" title gets harder all the time.

-Roth

Cheliax

Erotic photog.......wait, are we talking about the stuff we collect in public?

Taldor

*clapping hands with glee*
BOOKS, BOOKS, BOOKS! On my 4th birthday, my grandparents sent me a bunch of presents, all wrapped up in shiny, pretty paper. They also sent me a little stack of books tied up with a plain piece of cord, sitting on top of a little desk. Didn't even glance at the shiny, pretty presents until my parents tore me away from the books. I don't think I could even read yet! lol
Thus began my fascination....

Aside from an immense collection of fiction, I love collecting unique old school books. One of my favorites is a funky pop-up picture book explaining how a computer works. Another favorite is a copy of Les Miserables from 1864...it's gorgeous, and it's the first present I bought for my husband when we were dating. AND, I'm pathetically proud to say I've read every book I own (except George MacDonald's Salted with Fire - the Doric dialect was...problematic). But I almost never read during the day...I love being transported away after dark. Staying up all night with a cup of tea and a tattered, gilt-edged copy of Treasure Island -- wonderful! *ahem* Anyway, yeah, I know I'm crazy...

Other collections: records from second-hand stores, quotes, vivid descriptions, ticks and cow blood (for work...hehe)


Pathfinder Adventure Path Charter Subscriber
Elora wrote:

Aside from an immense collection of fiction, I love collecting unique old school books. One of my favorites is a funky pop-up picture book explaining how a computer works. Another favorite is a copy of Les Miserables from 1864...it's gorgeous, and it's the first present I bought for my husband when we were dating.

Get OUT! ::shoves like Elaine Bennis::

I've collected a few textbooks from the 1800's as well. The lithographs alone make them worth the price. It's also utterly fascinating to see the standard of rational thought at the time. And they're very well written.

I love antiquarian books. If I made more money, I'd definitely consider owning a fleet of first editions. As it stands, I have a few and they are magical to me.


I collect girls with pom-poms...

Mental Note: Need a bigger basement.


farewell2kings wrote:


Plus, one of the shotguns, one of the assault rifles and two of the semi-automatic pistols don't count, because I use them at work.

You're Homer Simpson, right? I thought you lost that job ?

seriously though, that attitude could take my Retail Manager job to a WHOLE new level.... :)

Fewer customer complaints, a compliant staff, a raise every other week....HOT DAMN, I'm buying a gun....:P


silenttimo wrote:

I guess owning firearms is not in any european constitution (I think...).

I have never thought of owning or collecting a firearm.

I know people who have quite a large collection of various arms, these are people who are interested in hunting. And as some have pointed out, number of firearms per capita is higher in Canada and probably also in Finland than in US, mostly because of bigger number of hunters.

Qadira

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Modules Subscriber
farewell2kings wrote:

My friends also accuse me of collecting firearms, and I suppose that's true....I have 3 assault rifles, 2 shotguns, 2 hunting rifles, 4 revolvers and four semi-automatic pistols....but I live in Texas and if I don't keep buying them, my neighbors will have more guns than I do and we can't have that now, can we?

Now, I know this is a bit of an American, and particulalry Texan, thing but......

What does an ordinary citizen need an assualt rifle for? In a sense, I know it is a cultural difference, and I can handle the shotguns and hunting rifles as they have a use outside of killing people, but the rest? Surely assault rifles are simply weapons of war intended to effectively kill lots of people relatively cheaply? Do you hunt with assault rifles? Do you use them at all, such as for target shooting, or do you just like to caress their smooth, clean lines? (Hmm, actually, that sounds OK when I put it like that...) Is it connected with your work as a policeman?

I'm not aiming at a "Europeans are better because we don't have guns" sort of thing. In any case, I know you have German antecedence. I just want to understand, because I simply fail to comprehend. I would welcome any enlightenment. Sorry if this is a retread of old ground.

Qadira

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Modules Subscriber

Anyway, just to move things on a little, I don't really have a "collection" habit as such, but I like reading and have accumulated a fairly large collection of books. Mostly SF and fantasy, a bit of history, some science, a little bit of business and investment.... And D&D, of course.

Not really a collection as such, but I'm loath to get rid of a book once I have read it.

Cheliax RPG Superstar 2013 Top 32

Aubrey the Malformed wrote:
What does an ordinary citizen need an assualt rifle for? Surely assault rifles are simply weapons of war intended to effectively kill lots of people relatively cheaply? Do you hunt with assault rifles? Do you use them at all, such as for target shooting, or do you just like to caress their smooth, clean lines?

As an American and a member of the NRA, I can answer this one.

The 2nd Amendment to our constitution supports the right to keep and bear arms. The reason this right exists is because America was founded on the concept of freedom (whether that foundation is applicable today is debateable, but a subject for another time...) and, as a tool to maintain that freedom, the general public is not forbidden from possessing weaponry with which to defend its way of life. Yes, you CAN hunt with assault rifles, but you're mostly right. The purpose of an assault rifle is to kill people. If our government wanted to convert to some crazy fascist regime that the public did not approve of, the government would have 100+ million armed citizens to contend with. Thus, it is a system of maintaining some semblance of governmental control amongst the masses. Is this event likely to happen? No. Is this Amendment the REASON its not going to happen? Probably.

As for my collections, I don't really have one besides my collection of gaming books. My gaming collection is rather extensive, however. I couldn't even begin to estimate the number of books I have stashed away, but I'm sure the value is well in excess of $2k.

Osirion

Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

Not that I actually collect weapons, but I've always found things like that to be fascinating from a strictly scientific/engineering background. It is interesting to see how warfare, and the weapons used to fight it, has evolved over the years. It also serves as a healthy reminder of just what the human race can be capable of.

Qadira

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Modules Subscriber
Fatespinner wrote:

As an American and a member of the NRA, I can answer this one.

The 2nd Amendment to our constitution supports the right to keep and bear arms. The reason this right exists is because America was founded on the concept of freedom (whether that foundation is applicable today is debateable, but a subject for another time...) and, as a tool to maintain that freedom, the general public is not forbidden from possessing weaponry with which to defend its way of life. Yes, you CAN hunt with assault rifles, but you're mostly right. The purpose of an assault rifle is to kill people. If our government wanted to convert to some crazy fascist regime that the public did not approve of, the government would have 100+ million armed citizens to contend with. Thus, it is a system of maintaining some semblance of governmental control amongst the masses. Is this event likely to happen? No. Is this Amendment the REASON its not going to happen? Probably.

Understood, but...

Is that the reason to own an assault rifle? I mean, does every citizen fear the emergence of a repressive fascist state in the US, or at least everyone with an assault rifle? That sounds a bit survivalist/nutcase sort of reasoning. I don't doubt the reasoning behind the 2nd Amendment (hell, I think it was partly to ward off us Brits after the War of Independence too) but I doubt it is the basic reason to own an automatic rifle. I.e. why do YOU (or someone else, as it happens) own an assault weapon, as opposed to why did the founding fathers want you to have the right to own one? If it is the threat of totalitarianism, why doesn't everyone have one?

Andoran

I just don't think a passel of disorganized U. S. citizens with assault rifles could fight off a totalitarian regime any more.
I personally don't have one, because I think statistically an accident is more likely than a home invasion which I could fight off, or Big Brother comes with the jack boots to haul me off for "retraining."

Cheliax Bella Sara Charter Superscriber

Aberzombie wrote:
Not that I actually collect weapons, but I've always found things like that to be fascinating from a strictly scientific/engineering background. It is interesting to see how warfare, and the weapons used to fight it, has evolved over the years. It also serves as a healthy reminder of just what the human race can be capable of.

I read a great book in college (in a class called "War, Weapons, and Arms Control) that traced the history of weapons technology and how things designed for domestic use became weapons and vice versa. I can't remember much of the book at this point, but it was very interesting. I remember a significant portion on the use of the horse, the chariot, the bow, and of course, the gun.

Cheliax Bella Sara Charter Superscriber

Heathansson wrote:

I just don't think a passel of disorganized U. S. citizens with assault rifles could fight off a totalitarian regime any more.

You're missing the point. There are certain "undead" elements in our society (some of whom even post in our midst), which me must stand ready to fight!

And bears. Can't forget the damn bears.


Books, i just weeded my collection of 5 boxes and you cant even see a dent.

comic books; have half a closet of them in plastic with cardboards in special boxes; havent bought any in years though.

Warhammer miniatures; both fantasy and 40k; yes, it is a sickness.

Cookbooks; this is my favorite collection.

I have a good friend who collects swords; they are all over the place at his house.
I have another friend who seems to collect girlfriends; sheesh seems like ever month he has a new one.

hehe my navel seems to collect a lot of lint, but I havent thought of anything clever to do with it.

Andoran

Sebastian wrote:
Heathansson wrote:

I just don't think a passel of disorganized U. S. citizens with assault rifles could fight off a totalitarian regime any more.

You're missing the point. There are certain "undead" elements in our society (some of whom even post in our midst), which me must stand ready to fight!

And bears. Can't forget the damn bears.

The dolphins beat them. I ain't scairt of the bears.

Cheliax RPG Superstar 2013 Top 32

Aubrey the Malformed wrote:


Is that the reason to own an assault rifle? I mean, does every citizen fear the emergence of a repressive fascist state in the US, or at least everyone with an assault rifle?... ...I.e. why do YOU (or someone else, as it happens) own an assault weapon, as opposed to why did the founding fathers want you to have the right to own one? If it is the threat of totalitarianism, why doesn't everyone have one?

There are various reasons that everyone doesn't have one. First of all, many people are opposed to firearms in general. I don't agree with them, but that's their right and their decision. Secondly, they are fairly expensive. I don't own an assault rifle for that reason. If I could afford one, I would get one. Finally, as for the reason for having one, its the same as the reason for having a Lambourgini. Would a Toyota Camry do just as good a job getting you to and fro? Sure. Would a pistol be just fine as a method of self-defense? Absolutely. Are Lambourginis and assault rifles just effing cool? You're damn right they are.


I really dont believe in owning an arnsenal or collecting that many guys; really; who needs more than 9? i think it is everyones abligation to own an assault type rifle just to keep our government honest; well, a bit more honest. I don't own one, but that is only because I dont have the disposable income yet and having been a soldier I am a bit picky.

I like to collect things that dont take up a lot of room; and gun safes take up a lot of room; of course, so do books so hmm, but gun safes are really expensive. I believe in protecting my collections, hence the comic book boards; platics and special boxes.

My mom collected spoons; she had spoons from all over the world; some were really great either humorous or a real piece of art.

My wife collects black and white cow stuff for the kitchen; if any of you surfers out there know a good site to pick this place up; I would appreciate a post. She is still a bit teed at me as one of my gamer friends dog ate her black and white cow patterned hot pad.

Cheliax RPG Superstar 2013 Top 32

Heathansson wrote:
I just don't think a passel of disorganized U. S. citizens with assault rifles could fight off a totalitarian regime any more.

Most of the U.S. Military would join the citizens on this one, I'm willing to bet. All tanks, bombs, and aircraft aside, the armed resistance would outnumber the fascist military roughly 100-to-1. Add to this the fact that the enemy is literally ALL AROUND YOU and I would say that a fascist regime that started on American soil would be crushed before you could say 'Nuremburg.'

Andoran

Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Companion, Modules Subscriber
Fatespinner wrote:
Heathansson wrote:
I just don't think a passel of disorganized U. S. citizens with assault rifles could fight off a totalitarian regime any more.
Most of the U.S. Military would join the citizens on this one, I'm willing to bet. All tanks, bombs, and aircraft aside, the armed resistance would outnumber the fascist military roughly 100-to-1. Add to this the fact that the enemy is literally ALL AROUND YOU and I would say that a fascist regime that started on American soil would be crushed before you could say 'Nuremburg.'

Ok, we're threadjacking !!

And I wouldn't us, players from all around the world, quarelling over owning or not weapons.

For myself, I wouldn't, and I don't really understand...

And I am not sure you're right about citizens & the army fighting off a potential fascist regim.

If I speak about what I know here, in France, my country, I am not sure everybody would fight off a fascist regim !!

And I am certain that the rise of a fascist (or close to fascism) regim would mean a kind of civil war, since I don't see our "WASPs", known as the WFCC (copyright : myself) or White Franco-Celtic Catholics fighting side by side with french born from arabian, african or asian parents.

And I guess this would be the same in the UK (I don't imagine pakistanese-born or indian-born people fighting side by side, unfortunately), or in the States (afro-american, hispanic, WASP or asian US citizen fighting side by side : you must be joking !!).

My 2-cents !

What could be better than to hijack this thread, would be to open a new one...

Andoran

Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Companion, Modules Subscriber
Woontal wrote:

I collect girls with pom-poms...

Mental Note: Need a bigger basement.

I love that one !!

Qadira

Woontal wrote:

I collect girls with pom-poms...

Mental Note: Need a bigger basement.

Nah, just a more efficient stacking method.

FH (save the cheerleader, save the world)

Qadira

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Modules Subscriber
Fatespinner wrote:
Finally, as for the reason for having one, its the same as the reason for having a Lambourgini. Would a Toyota Camry do just as good a job getting you to and fro? Sure. Would a pistol be just fine as a method of self-defense? Absolutely. Are Lambourginis and assault rifles just effing cool? You're damn right they are.

Fair enough if it rocks your boat - I assumed it was something like that. It really is about the clean, smooth lines. :-)

Cheliax Bella Sara Charter Superscriber

Fatespinner wrote:
one, I'm willing to bet. All tanks, bombs, and aircraft aside, the armed resistance would outnumber the fascist military roughly 100-to-1. Add to this the fact that the enemy is literally ALL AROUND YOU and I would say that a fascist regime that started on American soil would be crushed before you could say 'Nuremburg.'

I would take the other side of that bet in a hearbeat. The military is (by necessity) run as a mini-facist government. The group/state is above the individual, dissidents are not tolerated, and absolute obedience is expected. Were facism to arise, it would be through the natural extension of this mindset into civillian institutions. The military embraces not questioning leadership as a core value; I don't see why that value would be abandoned in the face of a government type that operates through a similar level of obedience.

Now, if there were some communist/socialist takeover of government, then I think you would see a military coup.


Two quick points on the assault rifles...

Even though I agree that we should be able to keep arms, the 2nd Amendment is specifically intended to provide for militias since we lacked a regular army as it were. This is often misinterpreted as "I can and should have a full arsenal." I think guns are ok for responsible citizens, but I also don't knwo why I would need an assault rifle.

Second, there is a great quote from the Simpsons: "You need an assault rifle to deal with todays superanimals like the Flying Squirrel and the Electric Eel."

Taldor

The Jade wrote:

Get OUT! ::shoves like Elaine Bennis::

I've collected a few textbooks from the 1800's as well. The lithographs alone make them worth the price. It's also utterly fascinating to see the standard of rational thought at the time. And they're very well written.

I love antiquarian books. If I made more money, I'd definitely consider owning a fleet of first editions. As it stands, I have a few and they are magical to me.

Ooph. *getting up off the floor* Hey! No need for the shoving.

Almost all of my old books are from random second-hand stores. I spent two days of my last vacation wandering around a St. Vincent de Paul I found at the coast that had one of the most amazing collections of books. They had two entire shelves, hidden way up top, devoted to first editions! How?! So, aside from the $70 I paid for Les Mis (and even that was an incredible steal), I've never paid more than $2/book for my "antiquarian" books. ;-p

Anyway, on the topic of collections, I forgot to mention the most bizarre collection I've ever run across. My best friend moved into her grandma's house for a while to clean it up before they sold it. So she takes me out to the garage and shows me this plain brown grocery sack. I look inside, and it is full of TEETH. Human teeth. After I crawled back into my skin, we asked around and found out that her great-grandpa used to make dentures, and the bag was full of individual sample teeth he had made. Still - very morbid and creepifying.


Dungeons & Dragons stuff primarily.

However, I'm starting up a collection of Gorillaz peraphanilia. (sp)


I collect the bottle tops from various beers I try. Got about a bajillion, all different brands, styles, parts of the world.

51 to 100 of 112 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Gaming / D&D 3.5/d20/OGL / What's in your collection? All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.