Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
About Paizo Messageboards News Paizo Blog Help/FAQ
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

What books are you currently reading?


Books

201 to 250 of 6,500 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>

Ralph 124C41+, by Hugo Gernsback. And I won't say any more because the language filter will mongle it anyway.


John Marco's "Eye of God"

So far this book keeps changing directions in better and more interesting ways. I'm about 2/3 through and loving it.

Just finished the first of Simon Green's Nightside books "Something From the Nightside". And it was enjoyable.


Just started "Hunters of Dune" by Brian Herbert and Kevin Anderson.

I love "Dune" books...all of them....even the ones that are slow....


I'm about 1/2 thru The Adventure's of Kavalier & Clay. Interesting read.


lol; I just reread the PHB, DMG, and Spell Companion as I dont yet have them entirely memorized.


Lilith wrote:


Haven't read it yet, I'm speed-reading through the Lackey trilogy. Finished the first, almost done with the second. :)

What do you think, so far? I've always struggled to get through Mercedes Lackey's stuff. The characters usually seem very fleshed out, but for the most part, the adventures themselves fail to hold my interest.


Troy Taylor wrote:
What do you think, so far? I've always struggled to get through Mercedes Lackey's stuff. The characters usually seem very fleshed out, but for the most part, the adventures themselves fail to hold my interest.

I'm finding that I enjoyed them a heckuva lot more when I was a kid. Maybe I'm being overly critical, but it seems she spends a lot of time developing the characters, but not developing the plot. It's a bit of this, a bit of that, then *BOOM* - story rushes from about the last third to the end. :? The trilogy I read was the Last Herald-Mage, in case you're interested.

However, I did enjoy the Black Magician Trilogy (The Magician's Guild, The Novice, and The High Lord) by Trudi Canavan. The world described in the books intrigued me and I wondered if there was a Campaign Setting book for it. She has some other books that I'm now interested in as well.


The Lies of Locke Lamora - by Scott Lynch. Urban adventure and the first in a (of a?) trilogy (Sigh).

Andoran

I started "White Night", the latest Dresden book by Jim Butcher last night.

Osirion

Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

Yesterday I started Unclean - the new FR novel by Richard Lee Byers. I'm about half-way through and it looks like some major s@#t is happening in Thay.

Osirion

Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber
farewell2kings wrote:

Just started "Hunters of Dune" by Brian Herbert and Kevin Anderson.

I love "Dune" books...all of them....even the ones that are slow....

You should try some of his other, non-Dune books. They just did a reprint of Hellstrom's Hive - weird, but I liked it. Picked up my new copy this past Saturday, even though I own an older copy.


S.Baldrick wrote:
I started "White Night", the latest Dresden book by Jim Butcher last night.

Funny. I started Storm Front last night. Never read butcher before... I'm digging the maginoir.


I'm trying to read the realms novel: Depths of Madness.

Osirion

Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber
R-type wrote:
I'm trying to read the realms novel: Depths of Madness.

I've thought about getting that one, but I'm leery of something by an author I'm unfamiliar with. I bought Realms of the Dragons II, which was mostly by new writers, and never could bring myself to finish it.

Oh yeah, and regarding the new Byers book Unlcean and the land of Thay...

Spoiler:
Can you say Civil War? Szass Tam vs the remaining Zulkirs!


I just started re-reading the Dray Prescott books by Alan Burt Akers. It’s 38 volumes long, so I have my work cut out for me.

For those unfamiliar with it, the series came out in the 70’s right along with John Norman’s GOR books. Prescott was much better. The theme runs along the line of the old Edgar Rice Burroughs’ Barsoom sort of thing (earth man transported to another world where he becomes a hero).

If you’ve never read it, by all means have a blast, but they’re awfully hard to find.


Aberzombie wrote:
You should try some of his other, non-Dune books. They just did a reprint of Hellstrom's Hive - weird, but I liked it. Picked up my new copy this past Saturday, even though I own an older copy.

Ooh, really? I remember that book scared the bejeebus out of me when I was a teenager. Time to get a copy.


The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich, by William L. Shirer

I would suggest that everyone read this book. As I am reading it, I feel like I am watching a film of a train wreck in slow motion. ~shakes my head~ It is amazing what a crazy person can do when other people are too stupid, gullible, or foolish to do anything about it. I hope that nothing like this ever occurs again, but unfortunatly, I think it will sooner or later.


Krypter wrote:
Aberzombie wrote:
You should try some of his other, non-Dune books. They just did a reprint of Hellstrom's Hive - weird, but I liked it. Picked up my new copy this past Saturday, even though I own an older copy.
Ooh, really? I remember that book scared the bejeebus out of me when I was a teenager. Time to get a copy.

Yea. Hellstrom's Hive was a freaky book.


Sharoth wrote:

The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich, by William L. Shirer

I would suggest that everyone read this book. As I am reading it, I feel like I am watching a film of a train wreck in slow motion. ~shakes my head~ It is amazing what a crazy person can do when other people are too stupid, gullible, or foolish to do anything about it. I hope that nothing like this ever occurs again, but unfortunatly, I think it will sooner or later.

Yes; that one should be required reading for the entire human race.


Amen, Kirth. Amen.


Sharoth wrote:
Amen, Kirth. Amen.

Adding my "amens" as well. Train wreck in slo-mo is a good way to describe it.


Aberzombie wrote:
R-type wrote:
I'm trying to read the realms novel: Depths of Madness.
I've thought about getting that one, but I'm leery of something by an author I'm unfamiliar with.

So far it's quite good, a real page turner. There's a goliath and a warlock! It reminds me of the Cube movies. :)

Osirion

I'l be finishing book 6 of the 'War of the Spider Queen' series today. I found these books to be both excellent and fulfilling of my Underdark cravings.

Thoth-Amon

Cheliax

Pathfinder Adventure Path Charter Subscriber; Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Card Game, Modules Subscriber

I'm currently reading They Hunger by Scott Nicholson. Excellent so far. Highly recommended.

Taldor

Pathfinder Adventure Path Charter Subscriber; Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Cards, Companion, Maps, Modules, Roleplaying Game, Tales Subscriber

I've just finished "Honoured Enemy" by Feist/Forstchen (1st in the Legends of the Riftswar novels). One of the best Riftwar tales I've read in a long time.

Andoran

Pathfinder Adventure Path Charter Subscriber; Pathfinder Tales Subscriber

Just started China Mieville's _Looking for Jake_ collection. The first story, of the same title, is very postmodern Lovecraft, with some slight Rapture (the Christian Rapture) overtones. Totally, entirely, completely engrossing. I'm heading off to B&N this afternoon to pick up _King Rat_ and _Perdido Station_.

Andoran

Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

A local bookstore was having a big sale last week, and I picked up Looking for Jake and a Lovecraft compliation for $6 and $5 respectively.

At the moment though, reading Iron Council, finding it a little hard to get into.


I finished Depths of Madness the other day. It was enjoyable and I'm glad I read it but the end seemed a little slap dash. I will read the next ones featuring these characters if there are any coming. The goliath was great. I can't help but wonder what classes some of the characters are/were?

I'm going to read Unclean by Richard Lee Byers and Edward Bolme next.


Just completed

War of Spider Queen Series
Road of the Patriarch Sellswords Book 3 (R.A. Salvatore)

Just started

Lisa Smedman - Sacrafice of the widow (Continuation of WotSQ?)
R.A. Salvatore - Highwayman
John Steakly - Armor
Stephen King - Gunslinger (again)

Andoran

I'm halfway through the Anansi Boys. It's funny as hell; it also reminds me eerily too much of life in general.

Andoran

I'm just finishing up John Steakly's "Vampire$".

Cheliax RPG Superstar 2013 Top 32

S.Baldrick wrote:
I'm just finishing up John Steakly's "Vampire$".

From what I understand, the movie 'John Carpenter's Vampires' is based on that one.

Andoran

Fatespinner wrote:
S.Baldrick wrote:
I'm just finishing up John Steakly's "Vampire$".
From what I understand, the movie 'John Carpenter's Vampires' is based on that one.

You are correct although there are significant differences. Both the movie and the book feature a team of professional vampire hunters that work for the Vatican and are lead by a man named Jack Crow. Also, early in both the book and the movie, nearly the entire team is wiped out by a a vampire that ambushes the team while they are partying in a hotel room. After that, they go in different directions.

I am big fan of the movie but I have also enjoyed the book as well.

Andoran RPG Superstar 2011 Top 32

I just discovered Vicki Pettersson. I'm reading Scent of Shadows.

A female superhero/demonslayer comes into her power at the age of 25. Despite calling the demon fighters superheroes, the book is gritty and violent but also has lots of emotional themes. Very cool.


Currently reading "Anok, Heretic of Stygia" in the new line of Conan Hyboria Age novels. Not bad, but nowhere near or imaginative as Robert E Howard's world.

Hard to get good writing in comparison to Stackpole's writing skills, the previous author of my last novel. That's the unfortunate part about reading talented fantasy writer's works like Stackpole or Martin. The genre is flooded with so much crap that everything else pales in comparison.

Andoran

Pathfinder Adventure Path Charter Subscriber; Pathfinder Tales Subscriber
Paul McCarthy wrote:

Currently reading "Anok, Heretic of Stygia" in the new line of Conan Hyboria Age novels. Not bad, but nowhere near or imaginative as Robert E Howard's world.

Hard to get good writing in comparison to Stackpole's writing skills, the previous author of my last novel. That's the unfortunate part about reading talented fantasy writer's works like Stackpole or Martin. The genre is flooded with so much crap that everything else pales in comparison.

The Anok books have OK writing, but a few really great scenes; also, I'd say the _memory_ of the books is better than the actual _reading_.

Andoran

Paul McCarthy wrote:
I am reading "A Game of Thrones" by George R R Martin. I am currently on page 4 so I can't give you guys an in depth analysis. Gimme a couple of days.

I just finised "Feast for Crows" and I have to say that these books have renewed my hope for the fansaty genre. They are very adult orriented and the characters are deep and feel like real people.


Martin's books are like Gold Treasure, each one is a masterpiece. Although my scales tip more towards Robert E Howard's imagination, setting and sheer flowing action and violence, Martin is a poet of Fantasy. In terms of character development, structure and attention to detail, got to give it up to Martin. Robert E Howard is the Chaotic Neutral writer while Martin is Lawful Evil.

As I said before in another post, any fan of Martin should check out Stackpole's Dragoncrown war series. His world is a little more of a D&D setting and has some great scenes.

Taldor

Quote:


I just finised "Feast for Crows" and I have to say that these books have renewed my hope for the fansaty genre. They are very adult orriented and the characters are deep and feel like real people.

I never thought I'd say this, but "A Feast for Crows" had too much gratuitous porn, IMO. By the end, I knew waaaay more about the moisture level of Cercei's girl-parts than I needed to.

She wanted to be dominant, fine. She used sex as a tool and a weapon, fine.
I didn't need to smell it.

I'll read the next one, but my opinion is that the series is losing quality from book to book, so whether I stick it out beyond "A Dance With Dragons" or whether Martin goes the way of Jordan in my book, remains to be seen.

As for what I'm reading right now, just finished "Proven Guilty" by Jim Butcher, and "Three fron the Legion" by Jack Williamson. I'm digging through "Heimskringla: or The Lives of the Norse Kings" by Snorre Sturlason.


"I never thought I'd say this, but "A Feast for Crows" had too much gratuitous porn, IMO. By the end, I knew waaaay more about the moisture level of Cercei's girl-parts than I needed to.
She wanted to be dominant, fine. She used sex as a tool and a weapon, fine.
I didn't need to smell it."

LOL, that's hilarious. I thought about that when I was reading the book, but you just jogged my memory again. I guess Martin may have been just a little too into it when he was writing. Good one.

Taldor

I just finished "Villains By Necessity" by Eve Forward. (I assume her middle name begins with an 'R')

Fun fantasy novel, good length without being long-winded. I recommend it for those looking for a twist on the classic heroic adventuring party.

Basically, the novel follows the adventure of a group of villains who are trying to undo the "Triumph" of good and light in their world, and not kill each other doing it.


Just Finished Ravenor by Dan Abnett (had a little too much 200oad feel, than pure 40k feel for me personally)

Just Started Dark Adeptus by Ben Counter, half way through so far and I'm enjoying it as much as his other novels.

Just recently purchased and ordered a lot of Black Library books to read through.


Currently I'm...
Waiting for the next Hobb book
waiting for the next Feist book
waiting for the next Sara Douglas book
waiting for the next Harry Potter book
and waiting for the next book in the Inkheart series
I'm in the middle of a great readers digest though.


I've just started rereading (for the third time) David Brin's "Brightness Reef." After I finish its two sequels, I'm going to work on Raymond E. Feist's "Flight of the Nighthawks" and "Into a Dark Realm." I've got Neil Gaiman's "Anansi Boys" on reserve.


I STILL haven't unpacked my books so I'm reading the last book from the Series of Unfortunate Events.

After that, if I've still been lazy, is Son of a Witch. I love Gregory Maguire's stuff.

Andoran

Reading old issues of Dungeon and Dragon,

and weeping...

*sob*


War of the Spider Queen

Andoran

"The Savage Tales of Solomon Kane" by Robert E. Howard. I actually read all of these stories around 11 years ago but they are still worth revisiting.


I'm reading Son of a Witch by Gregory Maguire (nope, still didn't unpack my books)

AND

Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman.

Paizo Employee Publisher, Chief Creative Officer

Lawgiver wrote:

I just started re-reading the Dray Prescott books by Alan Burt Akers. It’s 38 volumes long, so I have my work cut out for me.

For those unfamiliar with it, the series came out in the 70’s right along with John Norman’s GOR books. Prescott was much better. The theme runs along the line of the old Edgar Rice Burroughs’ Barsoom sort of thing (earth man transported to another world where he becomes a hero).

If you’ve never read it, by all means have a blast, but they’re awfully hard to find.

I stalled out at about a third of the way into "Transit to Scorpio" when work demanded I read books we were planning to publish. It's surprisingly competent for the genre, which is not known for its lyrical writing. I'll get back to it soon, but I've got to first negotiate several Leigh Brackett science fantasies.

Poor me.

--Erik

201 to 250 of 6,500 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Gamer Life / Books / What books are you currently reading? All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.