Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
About Paizo Messageboards News Paizo Blog Help/FAQ
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

Is there a black hole in the submissions room at Paizo?


Dungeon Magazine General Discussion

1,301 to 1,350 of 1,820 << first < prev | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | next > last >>

Pathfinder Adventure Path Charter Subscriber; Pathfinder Companion Subscriber
Hal Maclean wrote:

For what it's worth, since most folks already know this, I'll share one tip I got from a query that failed to make the final cut.

(paraphrasing Jeremy's comment :) )

Even evil, "village of the damnned"esque children with strange powers and glowing red eyes are still kids,and heroes don't fight them.

Makes sense to me :) Should have thought of that myself.

Thanks for the heads-up, Hal.

Any other good Samaritans out there have tips for the rest of us -- the innocent, the eager, and the doomed?

Contributor

YEA! I got the greenlight to write my sequel to "Chimes at Midnight." So excited!!! This adventure has consumed my imagination since Gencon! I already have a bajillion notes scrawled all over everything from napkins to pieces of cardboard boxes to the more conventional notebook. I even started using the "record voice memo" function on my cellphone in fear that I would forget some wild idea for it.

I've got two projects to clear off my plate first, but I can't wait to get to this!!!


CONGRATULATIONS!!!!


Koldoon wrote:
farewell2kings wrote:

Thanks a lot, guys....let's hope I can write a worthy manuscript.

Steve--thank you for the offer--I will certainly take you up on it, because we all know how important a second set of eyes is.

You know I'm always available as a third set of eyes also, should you need it. You know how to reach me.

- Ashavan

Thank you Ashavan. I appreciate it greatly!

Contributor

Shroomy wrote:
Based on Monday's submission meeting, what themes, settings, and/or monsters should queries try to avoid in the near future? Conversely, what specifically are you on the look out for? Thanks.

Hags. Hags are now on the list. Stay away from them for now.


Pathfinder Adventure Path Charter Subscriber; Pathfinder Companion Subscriber
Jeremy Walker wrote:
Hags. Hags are now on the list. Stay away from them for now.

Crud! Five days ago, I submitted a query for an adventure titled, "Dreams of a Forgotten God," featuring (you guessed it) a whole COVEY of night hags. It wasn't among the recent batch of green lights or rejections, so I'm guessing its still in the hopper.

Jeremy, is that proposal effectively dead? I presented the night hags in a context unlike any that I've seen, but, when the rubber meets the road, they're still a bunch of hags fixated on causing horror and corruption through dreams. Would it be wise for me to just go ahead now and rethink, rewrite, and re-submit that query without waiting for the rejection?

- Ted


Pathfinder Adventure Path Charter Subscriber; Pathfinder Companion Subscriber
Nicolas Logue wrote:

YEA! I got the greenlight to write my sequel to "Chimes at Midnight." So excited!!! This adventure has consumed my imagination since Gencon! I already have a bajillion notes scrawled all over everything from napkins to pieces of cardboard boxes to the more conventional notebook. I even started using the "record voice memo" function on my cellphone in fear that I would forget some wild idea for it.

Way to go!! Given how much the sequel has been on your mind, it sounds like this was simply MEANT to be!

Congrats!!


Pathfinder Adventure Path Charter Subscriber; Pathfinder Modules Subscriber

Hey Steve- Cheers on the DCC! Just saw it.

Contributor

Ashenvale wrote:
Nicolas Logue wrote:

YEA! I got the greenlight to write my sequel to "Chimes at Midnight." So excited!!! This adventure has consumed my imagination since Gencon! I already have a bajillion notes scrawled all over everything from napkins to pieces of cardboard boxes to the more conventional notebook. I even started using the "record voice memo" function on my cellphone in fear that I would forget some wild idea for it.

Way to go!! Given how much the sequel has been on your mind, it sounds like this was simply MEANT to be!

Congrats!!

Thanks Ash!

I had a really really good feeling about this one. Writing the proposal happened so fast, I could see it all so clearly, usually I hem and haw over details of a prop for at least a few days, but I pumped out this one in under two hours. Then sent it to some of my esteemed colleagues (Tim, Amber, and Brendan) and one of my less esteemed (Rich Pett) just to make sure I wasn't crazy.

Which segues to good advice - get a second set of eyes on things...it really really helps. Tim gave me a couple of great tweaks for the "Chimes" sequel that helped make the grammar run nice and smooth.

Congrats to everyone who pulled down a greenlight this time around, and good luck to everyone in the next round!

I for one am going buckey next round! More props than the gods ever intended shall be flung at the Gray Render!!!

Contributor

Good job, Nic! I knew you'd do it!


Nicolas Logue wrote:

YEA! I got the greenlight to write my sequel to "Chimes at Midnight." So excited!!! This adventure has consumed my imagination since Gencon! I already have a bajillion notes scrawled all over everything from napkins to pieces of cardboard boxes to the more conventional notebook. I even started using the "record voice memo" function on my cellphone in fear that I would forget some wild idea for it.

I've got two projects to clear off my plate first, but I can't wait to get to this!!!

I already ran the "official" sequel to Chimes at Midnight, lol

Viktor and Scrimshaw (the only surviving henchman) ended up in Blackmaw Prison, much to the party's surprise when they neglected to do their homework.

Seriously though, I'm looking forward to this sequel.


Does anybody need art for ther submission? I'm trying to figure out how to contribute art to Dragon or Dungeon. I've only been able so far to find material related to submitting adventures, artcles,etc. Maybe someone would like to team up with me and submit art along with their writing?

Joe Calkins
www.cerberusart.com

Contributor

Talion09 wrote:
Nicolas Logue wrote:

YEA! I got the greenlight to write my sequel to "Chimes at Midnight." So excited!!! This adventure has consumed my imagination since Gencon! I already have a bajillion notes scrawled all over everything from napkins to pieces of cardboard boxes to the more conventional notebook. I even started using the "record voice memo" function on my cellphone in fear that I would forget some wild idea for it.

I've got two projects to clear off my plate first, but I can't wait to get to this!!!

I already ran the "official" sequel to Chimes at Midnight, lol

Viktor and Scrimshaw (the only surviving henchman) ended up in Blackmaw Prison, much to the party's surprise when they neglected to do their homework.

Seriously though, I'm looking forward to this sequel.

Nice!

Are you going to run "Chains of Blackmaw" and incorporate them into the plot?! That'd be awesome!

Don't worry the sequel will be very playable even if you didn't play the first one, or played it and it came out in any number of ways at the end.

I'm glad Viktor lived in your "Chimes" he makes good nemesis material.

Contributor

Medesha wrote:
Good job, Nic! I knew you'd do it!

Thanks Medesha!!!


Jeremy Walker wrote:


Hags. Hags are now on the list. Stay away from them for now.

They own a lot of cats and you know how allergic you are to them. And me with my hag submission. Oh well, at least I got the option to resubmit next year. I am aquiring quite a collection of those. Guess I won't have to write proposals next year.

Congrats to all you green leaf-heads out there (and even those who aren't), who did get the awesome duty of writing up a killer adventure!

Oh, and to the editors out there that hag who shows up in my latest submission could very easily by substituted with a dire corbie, lava child, yak folk, human bard, or some other uber-popular monster. Ooo, how about daleks?

Ex-tem-min-nate! ::sound of a photo-negative x-ray particle beam firing::
GGG


joecalkins wrote:

Does anybody need art for ther submission? I'm trying to figure out how to contribute art to Dragon or Dungeon. I've only been able so far to find material related to submitting adventures, artcles,etc. Maybe someone would like to team up with me and submit art along with their writing?

Joe Calkins
www.cerberusart.com

Joe,

It's my understanding that Paizo does not publish submitted artwork. Instead, they contract various artists. The best way to get your art published is to create a strong portfolio and make sure the Paizo team has access to it.

Looking at yuor website I see a lot of good work. I especially like your first piece: "Believe in Me." Very bold to place our Lord and Savior next to demons, faeries, and a scantily clad vampiress.

If I may be honest I think that while there's some great work on your site there is also some inconsistent quality throughout your pieces. I suggest that you trim it up a bit: choose only your best work. Also, instead of putting them all on the one page, try and break them up thematicaly, stylistically, or however you choose. It's very daunting to see so many pieces at once and try to click on them all to see more.

Good luck!


You know - I think you're right. In fact, now that I look at it again I think I'm going to rework my site. It's very busy and you're right about the consistency of the work. Some images were done for CCGs so they didn't need to contain much detail. You're right, I should only post my best stuff. Thanks for the compliments and advice!


Congratulations to everyone who got a greenlight this round. I look forward to reading your finished products in the future.


joecalkins wrote:
You know - I think you're right. In fact, now that I look at it again I think I'm going to rework my site. It's very busy and you're right about the consistency of the work. Some images were done for CCGs so they didn't need to contain much detail. You're right, I should only post my best stuff. Thanks for the compliments and advice!

Glad I could help. But I want to reiterate this again: there are some great pieces up there. Keep up the great work and I look forward to seeing your stuff published in Dungeon and Dragon!


BTW, is it too early to ask when the next submissions meeting will be?


Pathfinder Adventure Path Charter Subscriber; Pathfinder Companion Subscriber
Timault Azal-Darkwarren wrote:
BTW, is it too early to ask when the next submissions meeting will be?

I posed that question several days ago. Great Green God kindly advised it could be as many as four months before the next meeting.

Contributor

I would wager one of two guesses.

Either late November/early December, assuming they can work around pesky little things like Thanksgiving, and before the end-of-year holidays.

Or it'll fall in February, with January being a month where they catch up from the holidays.

Of course, I've been wrong once or twice before in my life...


Well, I've rejoined the ranks of the waiting with my first submission in many, many months. Here's hoping that render shows mercy!


Pathfinder Adventure Path Charter Subscriber; Pathfinder Companion Subscriber
Shroomy wrote:
Well, I've rejoined the ranks of the waiting with my first submission in many, many months. Here's hoping that render shows mercy!

"It is not in the nature of a dementor to be forgiving."

Cheliax Contributor

Ashenvale wrote:
"It is not in the nature of a dementor to be forgiving."

One of my favorite Harry Potter quotes. Ashenvale, you get a cookie. If we ever meet in person, remind me and I'll get you a cookie. :)


Mike McArtor wrote:
Ashenvale wrote:
"It is not in the nature of a dementor to be forgiving."
One of my favorite Harry Potter quotes. Ashenvale, you get a cookie. If we ever meet in person, remind me and I'll get you a cookie. :)

I've got a stack of leftover chocolate-white chocolate-caramel cookies...:P


Pathfinder Adventure Path Charter Subscriber; Pathfinder Companion Subscriber
Mike McArtor wrote:
Ashenvale wrote:
"It is not in the nature of a dementor to be forgiving."
One of my favorite Harry Potter quotes. Ashenvale, you get a cookie. If we ever meet in person, remind me and I'll get you a cookie. :)

I get a cookie! I get a cookie!

Wait, is this a "come over to the darkside, we have cookies" cookie? Ah, who cares. I'm takin' it. It's not in the nature of a dementor to be forgiving, but maybe this render likes cookies.


Pathfinder Adventure Path Charter Subscriber; Pathfinder Companion Subscriber
Ashenvale wrote:
Mike McArtor wrote:
Ashenvale wrote:
"It is not in the nature of a dementor to be forgiving."
One of my favorite Harry Potter quotes. Ashenvale, you get a cookie. If we ever meet in person, remind me and I'll get you a cookie. :)

I get a cookie! I get a cookie!

Wait, is this a "come over to the darkside, we have cookies" cookie? Ah, who cares. I'm takin' it. It's not in the nature of a dementor to be forgiving, but maybe this render fancies cookies!


Pathfinder Adventure Path Charter Subscriber; Pathfinder Modules Subscriber

'sup? Hammerbeard? Render? Cujo?

Have they left the front gate open for raiding? Did 'Talk Like a Pirate Day' confuse them?

It seems quiet around here...too quiet

...I've got a bad feeling about this...

RPG Superstar 2013 Top 16

drunken_nomad wrote:

'sup? Hammerbeard? Render? Cujo?

Have they left the front gate open for raiding? Did 'Talk Like a Pirate Day' confuse them?

It seems quiet around here...too quiet

...I've got a bad feeling about this...

Me too, I sense a disturbance in the rejection flow....it's like a billion submissions cried out in terror.


Darkjoy wrote:


Me too, I sense a disturbance in the rejection flow....it's like a billion submissions cried out in terror.

Oh, that's just the editors laughing at my latest CW submission.


The Waiting Game: Chapter Two

We usually know when the submission meetings are. But now I'm curious as to when one might hear about an adventure that's been green lighted and when one would hear about their first draft of a manuscript.

Is it the same timeline/schedule? That is to say, would I hear about my manuscript after the next schedule submission meeting (whenever that is) or does the next stage have a different timeline all together?


Timault Azal-Darkwarren wrote:

The Waiting Game: Chapter Two

We usually know when the submission meetings are. But now I'm curious as to when one might hear about an adventure that's been green lighted and when one would hear about their first draft of a manuscript.

Is it the same timeline/schedule? That is to say, would I hear about my manuscript after the next schedule submission meeting (whenever that is) or does the next stage have a different timeline all together?

It has been my experience that after the meeting during which you have an adventure accepted you get an email outlining when they want the initial draft in the past it has been up to a month after meeting to get an acceptance reply. Usually the draft is due a few months later. If you are lucky enough to get multiple acceptances they tend to space the due times out (i.e. We need this one by November 1st and this other one by April 1st). As to when you might hear that a manuscript is hitting the magazine, that depends on how busy they are. I know that some people on the Campaign Workbook side of things sometime don't find out until they get the paperwork in the mail. Regardless they have to pay you within a certain amount of time from the article's release (like a month or so). You would definately find out then. Otherwise you can just wait a bit after you submit the piece and then ask. The editors seem happy to share the info once it is established, but remember there is always the chance it gets rejected after the manuscript is in their hands (for any number of reasons).

Hope that helps,
GGG


Ok, this is probably going to sound like a really stupid question, but I can't find the answer to it anywhere on the boards. Do contributors get paid for the content they get published?


buddhaSMASH wrote:
Ok, this is probably going to sound like a really stupid question, but I can't find the answer to it anywhere on the boards. Do contributors get paid for the content they get published?

Yes. The info used to be in the Writing Guidelines, but I haven't checked in a while.


Great Green God wrote:
buddhaSMASH wrote:
Ok, this is probably going to sound like a really stupid question, but I can't find the answer to it anywhere on the boards. Do contributors get paid for the content they get published?
Yes. The info used to be in the Writing Guidelines, but I haven't checked in a while.

Where can I find the Writing Guidelines?


Here they are:

Writer's Guidelines

I think it's .05 a word.


Oh yeah? My last time out I made a whole nickel a word!

GGG

Paizo Employee Creative Director

We pay five cents per word as a baseline. After several adventures, and after you've prooven you can get us cool adventures without blowing deadlines, this rate goes up. Payment goes out about a month after an issue hits the newsstand.


James Jacobs wrote:
...and after you've prooven you can get us cool adventures without blowing deadlines....

I am so never getting a raise.

GGG


Pathfinder Adventure Path Charter Subscriber
Great Green God wrote:

Oh yeah? My last time out I made a whole nickel a word!

GGG

I got paid $38 for my first article ever to be published. Just so happens it was for Dragon. I think I was paid 3 cents a word. A nickel a word? Now that's the Life of Riley callin'! I'll be able to retire! :)


The money from the three small articles I had published this year are going towards my GenCon 2007 trip. There, I plan to spend money on gaming stuff, so I'm recycling my author's pay back into the gaming industry. I'm all ecological about stuff like that ;)

I'm just tickled pink that I was able to write something of sufficient quality to be published by Dragon and Dungeon, even if it was just two pages each time. Nice little boost of confidence to stave off my mid-life crisis.


Great Green God wrote:

Hope that helps,

GGG

As always GGG, you've been quite helpful.

The reason I was asking was that I submitted an adventure manuscript in late August and hadn't heard yay or nay as of yet. Thought I would put the question out there to you more regular authors without having to fill an editor's mailbox. I figure that if I haven't heard anything by Thanksgiving (puts the waiting at about three months since manuscript submission) than I'll drop them a friendly note.

Although I also realize that James, Erik, and the crew are regulars on the boards my question should not be considered a form of harrassment in any way to the Paizo staff's sensibilities or other such affront to their ego's.


Pathfinder Adventure Path Charter Subscriber
farewell2kings wrote:

The money from the three small articles I had published this year are going towards my GenCon 2007 trip. There, I plan to spend money on gaming stuff, so I'm recycling my author's pay back into the gaming industry. I'm all ecological about stuff like that ;)

I'm just tickled pink that I was able to write something of sufficient quality to be published by Dragon and Dungeon, even if it was just two pages each time. Nice little boost of confidence to stave off my mid-life crisis.

lol... I like your reinvestment strategy.

And yes, is there anything finer than making it into D&D print? I had something published in Esquire many a moon ago but, though high paying, it did not touch that feeling that comes with being published in Dragon. I consider it a major accomplisment and if I crack into Dungeon as well it'll be my Rosebud.

::close in on my black and white lips::

"Pai-zo..."

The End.

Taldor

Timault Azal-Darkwarren wrote:


The reason I was asking was that I submitted an adventure manuscript in late August and hadn't heard yay or nay as of yet. Thought I would put the question out there to you more regular authors without having to fill an editor's mailbox. I figure that if I haven't heard anything by Thanksgiving (puts the waiting at about three months since manuscript submission) than I'll drop them a friendly note.

I sent a completed adventure manuscript out to Dungeon at the same time. Sending an email around Thanksgiving to "make sure they got your submission" seems very reasonable. I'll probably do the same.

If it was an adventure proposal, campaign workbook or class act I'd probably let it go longer, but an adventure is just too darn much work to leave to chance. Hope all goes well.

Russ


Russell Brown wrote:
Hope all goes well.

Thanks, Russell. I appreciate it and I hope you well also.

RPG Superstar 2013 Top 16

baudot wrote:
Darkjoy wrote:


Me too, I sense a disturbance in the rejection flow....it's like a billion submissions cried out in terror.
Oh, that's just the editors laughing at my latest CW submission.

Speaking of CW submissions, a one month reponse time is an anomaly, right? Because now I am spoiled and itching for feedback.......

Contributor

I have CWs that are months old that I've heard nothing about. Looking at my files, one is from September 30 2005 (!!!) and the other is from January 3, 2006. Yikes! I need to stay on top of these more.

Um, James, Jeremy, somebody... should I drop you an e-mail about these? :)

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Zherog wrote:

I have CWs that are months old that I've heard nothing about. Looking at my files, one is from September 30 2005 (!!!) and the other is from January 3, 2006. Yikes! I need to stay on top of these more.

Um, James, Jeremy, somebody... should I drop you an e-mail about these? :)

Yup; you probably should. They're likely in limbo or the nothing or the In Ovo or somewhere dark.

Contributor

My poor little articles are afraid of the dark; we can't have them stuck there. :) E-mail sent. Thanks, James.

1,301 to 1,350 of 1,820 << first < prev | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Publishing / Older Products / Dungeon Magazine / General Discussion / Is there a black hole in the submissions room at Paizo? All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.