Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
About Paizo Messageboards News Paizo Blog Help/FAQ
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game

Starfinder


Pathfinder Society


Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

A Ship Without a Crew!

Starfinder Adventure Path: Incident at Absalom Station (Dead Suns 1 of 6)

Add PDF $15.99

Print Edition Unavailable

First Starfinder Adventure Path Release!

The first Starfinder Adventure Path is here! The Dead Suns Adventure Path begins with Starfinder Adventure Path: Incident at Absalom Station.

When a brutal gang war breaks out on a docking bay in Absalom Station, the player characters are recruited by the Starfinder Society to investigate the unexpected bloodshed. Delving into the station's seedy Spike neighborhoods, the heroes confront the gangs and discover that both were paid to start the riot and that the true conflict is between two rival mining companies battling over a new arrival in orbit around the station: a mysteriously deserted ship and the strange asteroid it recovered from the Drift. To head off further violence, the heroes are asked to investigate the ship and discover what happened to its crew, as well as the nature of the asteroid it tows. But what the players find there will set in motion events that could threaten the entirety of the Pact Worlds and change the face of the galaxy forever...

This volume of Starfinder Adventure Path launches the Dead Suns Adventure Path and includes:

  • "Incident at Absalom Station," a Starfinder adventure for 1st-level characters, by Robert G. McCreary.
  • A gazetteer of Absalom Station, by James L. Sutter.
  • Magical relics inspired by the lost planet Golarion, by Owen K.C. Stephens.
  • An archive of new alien creatures, by Jason Keeley and Robert G. McCreary.
  • Statistics and deck plans for a new starship designed just for the player characters, plus details on a new planet in the Codex of Worlds, by Robert G. McCreary.

Take a look at the other great Starfinder products here on paizo.com!

More Store Blog.
Dark Archive

Why is the print edition not pre-orderable?

Is it already sold out?

Paizo Employee Webstore Coordinator

2 people marked this as a favorite.

The print version has been moved from Preorder to Backorder on paizo.com. However, because we are in the middle of generating orders, the option for Backorder is temporarily unavailable.

We will be getting the Backorder option back as soon as possible. We apologize for any inconvenience.


Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber, Campaign Setting, Companion, Maps, Pawns, Roleplaying Game Subscriber; Starfinder Charter Superscriber

Is that a good sign that you ran out of print options?

Also how does that affect those of us that subbed?

Paizo Employee Webstore Coordinator

6 people marked this as a favorite.

The response to Starfinder has been amazing, and we're really excited about its future.

The status change will not impact anyone who is a subscriber, or anyone who placed a preorder before we moved it to Backorder status.


Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber, Campaign Setting, Companion, Maps, Pawns, Roleplaying Game Subscriber; Starfinder Charter Superscriber
Rick Kunz wrote:

The response to Starfinder has been amazing, and we're really excited about its future.

The status change will not impact anyone who is a subscriber, or anyone who placed a preorder before we moved it to Backorder status.

That is awesome

And good deal, didn't think it would mess anything up, but you never know

THANKS!!!!!

Dark Archive

If this were the first part of a Pathfinder AP, the print run would be (roughly) more than 1500 issues, maybe 2000.

With Starfinder i expect the print run to be close to 1000 copies.

What's with the people who ordered this from their local hobby store?
Will they get no copies, because Paizo.com orders are fullfilled first?

How does "backorder" work?
Is that a reprint?

If i (and many other people i know) won't be able to get AP #1 in august or september, my enthusiasm for Starfinder will drop significantly and i may cancel my pre-order for the first AP entirely, because having the rules but no adventure is pretty useless.
I would order the pdf, but as paizo only allows credit cards and not paypal, i'm not able to buy any pdfs. ;-(


3 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber, Companion, Modules, Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber
Marco Massoudi wrote:

What's with the people who ordered this from their local hobby store?

Will they get no copies, because Paizo.com orders are fullfilled first?

I believe that distributor copies to go into LGSs get their own shipment direct from the printer. I don't know how many copies that amounts to or if it's enough to fulfill the preorders made through local stores.

I believe that, for GenCon releases, there is also a separate shipment made direct to Indianapolis so that there will be some copies to sell at GenCon.

Paizo has just already accounted for all the copies they are receiving in their warehouse of this first shipment.

Marco Massoudi wrote:

How does "backorder" work?

Is that a reprint?

I believe so, yes. From Sara Marie's post in the subscription thread, it sounds like they are not expecting new copies of Dead Suns #1 until after #2 goes on sale, at least. Sounds like a new printing to me.

This is all just based on my observation of past Paizo roll-outs; I could be wrong.

Dark Archive

Thx, Joana.

It would be sad if people won't be able to play Starfinder, because no adventures are available.

That would be "A ship without a crew" indeed.

I'll ask germany's largest supplier on monday, but any official word would be much appreciated.

Paizo Employee Community & Digital Content Director

6 people marked this as a favorite.
Marco Massoudi wrote:

If this were the first part of a Pathfinder AP, the print run would be (roughly) more than 1500 issues, maybe 2000.

With Starfinder i expect the print run to be close to 1000 copies.

What's with the people who ordered this from their local hobby store?
Will they get no copies, because Paizo.com orders are fullfilled first?

How does "backorder" work?
Is that a reprint?

If i (and many other people i know) won't be able to get AP #1 in august or september, my enthusiasm for Starfinder will drop significantly and i may cancel my pre-order for the first AP entirely, because having the rules but no adventure is pretty useless.
I would order the pdf, but as paizo only allows credit cards and not paypal, i'm not able to buy any pdfs. ;-(

Hey Marco, right now the backorder status only effects orders made through paizo.com, and does not effect the availability through distribution, so folks should be able to pick up through their local game stores without an issue. We plan on fulfilling backorders and subscriptions started after this point starting with issue #1 under the process that Sara Marie, our Customer Service Manager, has outlined in this post.

We would also appreciate folks not giving out numbers for stock levels or print runs for our products. This is not information that we share publicly, and is speculative data that can be potentially confusing to our customers or community members, which can make it more difficult for the webstore and customer service teams to communicate effectively and be seen as official sources of information.


3 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber, Pawns, Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Accessories, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber
Marco Massoudi wrote:

Thx, Joana.

It would be sad if people won't be able to play Starfinder, because no adventures are available.

That would be "A ship without a crew" indeed.

People often run their own adventures, an official Paizo AP is not required to play Starfinder.

Dark Archive

Chris Lambertz wrote:
Marco Massoudi wrote:

If this were the first part of a Pathfinder AP, the print run would be (roughly) more than 1500 issues, maybe 2000.

With Starfinder i expect the print run to be close to 1000 copies.

What's with the people who ordered this from their local hobby store?
Will they get no copies, because Paizo.com orders are fullfilled first?

How does "backorder" work?
Is that a reprint?

If i (and many other people i know) won't be able to get AP #1 in august or september, my enthusiasm for Starfinder will drop significantly and i may cancel my pre-order for the first AP entirely, because having the rules but no adventure is pretty useless.
I would order the pdf, but as paizo only allows credit cards and not paypal, i'm not able to buy any pdfs. ;-(

Hey Marco, right now the backorder status only effects orders made through paizo.com, and does not effect the availability through distribution, so folks should be able to pick up through their local game stores without an issue. We plan on fulfilling backorders and subscriptions started after this point starting with issue #1 under the process that Sara Marie, our Customer Service Manager, has outlined in this post.

We would also appreciate folks not giving out numbers for stock levels or print runs for our products. This is not information that we share publicly, and is speculative data that can be potentially confusing to our customers or community members, which can make it more difficult for the webstore and customer service teams to communicate effectively and be seen as official sources of information.

Thank you for the info, Chris.

It's good to hear that Starfinder being a sellout is not affecting initial store availability.

The print run numbers are just a speculation on my part from watching your stock blogs, i have no real knowledge about them.
I'll try not to speculate openly about them anymore. :-)

I'm a very avid follower of your stock blogs, as they tell me which print products i need to buy before they're gone, even though i have reached a point where i already have most Pathfinder print products.

Thank you for your relentless great work and have a nice weekend. :-)

Paizo Employee Community & Digital Content Director

Removed an off-topic post. Let's keep the Store blog discussions focused on the individual product discussed, thanks!


Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber, Starfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

Come on subscription!


Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber, Campaign Setting, Companion, Modules, Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Tales Subscriber; Pathfinder Comics Subscriber
Toblakai wrote:
Marco Massoudi wrote:

Thx, Joana.

It would be sad if people won't be able to play Starfinder, because no adventures are available.

That would be "A ship without a crew" indeed.

People often run their own adventures, an official Paizo AP is not required to play Starfinder.

+1 to this. I all ready have outlined several adventure ideas.


Marco Massoudi wrote:

Why is the print edition not pre-orderable?

Is it already sold out?

It hasn't been released yet but you can find it for sale on sites like amazon.


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Adventure Path Charter Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber

Wow. The portion of the initial print run reserved for direct orders through Paizo.com (after subscriptions and the stock going to Gen Con for booth sales) is sold out before release?

This is good news for the line. It shows there is even more demand than projected.


Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Society Roleplaying Guild Subscriber

Awesome news! So glad I subscribed, I really hope the SFS response is just as good and the release volume gets bumped up to 2 a month!


Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Society Roleplaying Guild Subscriber; Pathfinder Legends Subscriber

Will there be a player's guide?


Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber, Companion, Modules, Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber
Silver Scarab wrote:
Will there be a player's guide?

No.

Robert G. McCreary wrote:

From the Department of Expectation Management:

Dead Suns will not have campaign traits (as stated, themes are replacing traits in Starfinder), campaign-specific themes, or a player's guide.

Scarab Sages

Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber, Starfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

The print run would be much more than 1500 or 2000 copies. Probably 10x that number, or more. Otherwise the cost to print it, and therefore the retail price, would be a LOT higher.

In fact, most printers wouldn't even bother with an ultra-small print run.

Liberty's Edge

9 people marked this as a favorite.
Marco Massoudi wrote:

If this were the first part of a Pathfinder AP, the print run would be (roughly) more than 1500 issues, maybe 2000.

I had to reply to this, because it is possible that somebody might actually believe you and that isn't helpful.

Pathfinder Adventure Path is the flagship product for Paizo. Its subscriber base is what keeps the lights on.

Paizo now has about 60-something full time employees. The majority of those people are involved in creating products for the Pathfinder line, or in servicing those products in some capacity (sales, customer service, shipping, accounting etc.).

If you can figure out on how to pay 60+ full time employees from the gross revenue of a product line where your best selling FLAGSHIP product has a PRINT run of only 2,000 copies a month,(which won't even sell out for a half dozen years) I'd love to hear that accounting explanation. Add up ALL the other products, and realize that every one of them has a print run SMALLER than the flagship you say is only 2,000 copies printed. (We have not even got to numbers sold yet).

You simply can't get there if that is your starting point. Not even close.

If you stop and think this through with a pencil in one hand and a scratch pad in the other, you will realize that you really do not know what you are talking about in the slightest. Which is okay. You aren't in the 1st party RPG publishing business.

What isn't okay is pretending that you do.

As for Starfinder AP, a reaction and purchase orders flooding in for a product that nobody has even seen yet nor has any experience with is a great sign for the health of Starfinder in the short to medium run.

As long as they aren't cannibalizing too many sales from their other products to create this demand, this is tremendous and positive news.

Dark Archive

Steel_Wind wrote:
Marco Massoudi wrote:

If this were the first part of a Pathfinder AP, the print run would be (roughly) more than 1500 issues, maybe 2000.

I had to reply to this, because it is possible that somebody might actually believe you and that isn't helpful.

Pathfinder Adventure Path is the flagship product for Paizo. Its subscriber base is what keeps the lights on.

Paizo now has about 60-something full time employees. The majority of those people are involved in creating products for the Pathfinder line, or in servicing those products in some capacity (sales, customer service, shipping, accounting etc.).

If you can figure out on how to pay 60+ full time employees from the gross revenue of a product line where your best selling FLAGSHIP product has a PRINT run of only 2,000 copies a month,(which won't even sell out for a half dozen years) I'd love to hear that accounting explanation. Add up ALL the other products, and realize that every one of them has a print run SMALLER than the flagship you say is only 2,000 copies printed. (We have not even got to numbers sold yet).

You simply can't get there if that is your starting point. Not even close.

If you stop and think this through with a pencil in one hand and a scratch pad in the other, you will realize that you really do not know what you are talking about in the slightest. Which is okay. You aren't in the 1st party RPG publishing business.

What isn't okay is pretending that you do.

As for Starfinder AP, a reaction and purchase orders flooding in for a product that nobody has even seen yet nor has any experience with is a great sign for the health of Starfinder in the short to medium run.

As long as they aren't cannibalizing too many sales from their other products to create this demand, this is tremendous and positive news.

First, i never pretended to know anything about actual print run numbers.

That being said, i watch the numbers sold to subscribers, amazon sale numbers, numbers left in stock and some other things very closely and often and you absolutely CAN extrapolate from these.

I also have some insight in how many issues are orderd for the european market.

That being said, i won´t speculate openly anymore about print run numbers, because i promised Chris Lambertz not too.

Dark Archive

By the way, amazon lists the Starfinder initial releases for a september 5th release date.

I know they are often not very reliable, but personally i expect a little delay, at least for some suppliers. ;-(


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber
Steel_Wind wrote:
Marco Massoudi wrote:

If this were the first part of a Pathfinder AP, the print run would be (roughly) more than 1500 issues, maybe 2000.

I had to reply to this, because it is possible that somebody might actually believe you and that isn't helpful.

Pathfinder Adventure Path is the flagship product for Paizo. Its subscriber base is what keeps the lights on.

Paizo now has about 60-something full time employees. The majority of those people are involved in creating products for the Pathfinder line, or in servicing those products in some capacity (sales, customer service, shipping, accounting etc.).

If you can figure out on how to pay 60+ full time employees from the gross revenue of a product line where your best selling FLAGSHIP product has a PRINT run of only 2,000 copies a month,(which won't even sell out for a half dozen years) I'd love to hear that accounting explanation. Add up ALL the other products, and realize that every one of them has a print run SMALLER than the flagship you say is only 2,000 copies printed. (We have not even got to numbers sold yet).

You simply can't get there if that is your starting point. Not even close.

If you stop and think this through with a pencil in one hand and a scratch pad in the other, you will realize that you really do not know what you are talking about in the slightest. Which is okay. You aren't in the 1st party RPG publishing business.

What isn't okay is pretending that you do.

As for Starfinder AP, a reaction and purchase orders flooding in for a product that nobody has even seen yet nor has any experience with is a great sign for the health of Starfinder in the short to medium run.

As long as they aren't cannibalizing too many sales from their other products to create this demand, this is tremendous and positive news.

Considering that Ruins Of Azlant is the current top seller on Paizo and Starfinder Core Rulebook is number three I probably wouldn't worry about that last part.

As someone that works in a toy store with board games, rpgs, and collectible card games I can say the adult gaming industry is stronger (and faster growing) than people here give it credit for. :-)

Silver Crusade

2 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber, Campaign Setting, Companion, Starfinder Adventure Path Subscriber
Marco Massoudi wrote:


First, i never pretended to know anything about actual print run numbers.

"If this were the first part of a Pathfinder AP, the print run would be (roughly) more than 1500 issues, maybe 2000." sounds like pretending to know actual print run numbers to me.

Marco Massoudi wrote:


That being said, i watch the numbers sold to subscribers

This ain't public data. The only thing we know is the rough number of charter subscribers who are still subscribed to PF AP line.

Marco Massoudi wrote:


amazon sale numbers

This isn't public data. Sale rankings are, and even those are semi-trustworthy because what's stopping Amazon (or Paizo) from listing something as a #1 bestseller when the publisher pays for that?

Marco Massoudi wrote:


numbers left in stock

Pretty useless without knowing what the print runs were, eh?

Marco, I'm not exactly sure where you're going with your armchair business analysis. You're certainly not helping Paizo by generating confusion about their business practices. If you're trying to force Paizo to deny or confirm your theories, well, that won't happen, because you don't run business like that, letting yourself be at the mercy of every guy or girl with a theory about how your business works, but the fact that nobody insofar has come out and flatly said "Marco, your estimates are incorrect" does not make you correct.

You're passionate and fascinated by RPG industry. Yep, that's clear. But every fascination has some red line.

And digging this hole deeper gets you dangerously close to legal territory. Of course, this is merely my moderately educated speculation based on quite a few years of dealing with law and business.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Gorbacz wrote:
Sale rankings are, and even those are semi-trustworthy because what's stopping Amazon (or Paizo) from listing something as a #1 bestseller when the publisher pays for that?

The bookstore chain I worked at for many many years had what they called 'Make Books'. They were called that because the company was going to make them best sellers. A publisher would pay the company to get a new release onto the company's make book list. The company would then push and sell the holy crap out of the book. Employees were expected to know about the make books, talk them up, recommend them, and sometimes even had a daily quota to sell. If there was ever anything that high-lit how meaningless sales rankings or being a bestseller are it was that.

Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo / Starfinder® / Starfinder Adventure Path / Dead Suns / Store Blog: A Ship Without a Crew! All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

Paizo.com Gift Certificates
On Sale and Clearance!


©2002-2017 Paizo Inc.® | Privacy Policy | Contact Us
Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours, Monday through Friday, 10:00 AM to 5:00 PM Pacific time.

Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, Starfinder, the Starfinder logo, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc. The Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Legends, Pathfinder Online, Starfinder Adventure Path, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.