Pathfinder Adventure Path #129: The Twilight Child (War for the Crown 3 of 6)

****( ) (based on 2 ratings)
Pathfinder Adventure Path #129: The Twilight Child (War for the Crown 3 of 6)

Add Print Edition $24.99

Add PDF $17.99

Facebook Twitter Email

The Worst in Others

Dark shadows haunt the trade city of Yanmass, spreading chaos even as the city's leaders debate which royal heir to support in the growing civil war. Their soldiers are vanishing, bandits attack without fear, and a mysterious plague of nightmares rattles the populace—are these troubles random, or part of a larger conspiracy? And what role do the mysterious Twilight Child and the cultlike following he has attracted play in the chaos?

This volume of Pathfinder Adventure Path continue the War for the Crown Adventure Path and includes:

  • "The Twilight Child," a Pathfinder adventure for 7th-level characters, by Ron Lundeen.
  • A gazetteer of the city of Yanmass, the caravan hub of northern Taldor catering to travelers from across two continents, by Ron Lundeen.
  • An ecology of the mysterious and bureaucratic servants of death known as psychopomps, by F. Wesley Schneider.
  • A thoughtful exploration of resurrection, the strange role it plays in the world of Golarion, and how the various gods react to this violation of the natural order, by Patchen Mortimer.
  • A collection of strange beasts that roam the Whistling Plains, from the thieving grassling to the explosive bloodplate burster, by Ron Lundeen, Andrew Mullen, Richard Pett, and David Schwartz.

ISBN-13: 978-1-64078-032-3

Note: This product is part of the Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscription.

Product Availability

Print Edition: Ships from our warehouse in 1 to 7 business days.

PDF: Will be added to your My Downloads Page immediately upon purchase of PDF.

Are there errors or omissions in this product information? Got corrections? Let us know at store@paizo.com.

PZO90129


See Also:

Average product rating:

****( ) (based on 2 ratings)

Sign in to create or edit a product review.

****( )


A change of pace for good or ill

****( )

Once again a really good one, however it has far less diplomcy than the onthers, its more a sandbox investigation. This isn't nescerly a bad thing tho some players may find it dispoting, that said its still a great one, with some really fun enemys and neat concepts. It also has some great npcs. The support articles as always are great


51 to 100 of 101 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | next > last >>

Yes, it's how the kids today say something is totally gnarly, dude!


Pathfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber

Im so excited for this mod i could scream

Dark Archive

2 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

Looking forward to the 'pomps, and hopefully, a couple Ushers!

Paizo Employee Developer

2 people marked this as a favorite.
ratcatbo wrote:
Im so excited for this mod i could scream

Go ahead--it's not against the law or anything.

Dark Archive

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Companion, Modules, Roleplaying Game Subscriber

So anyone got there subscriber PDF copy yet?


Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

If last month's processing -> shipment pattern was any indication, it'll still be another week or so!


3 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

(not that anyone's counting the days or anything)


Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

The confirmation email came in last week, so fingers crossed for tomorrow!

I'm very excited for the resurrection article. How the gods actually look at this practise has always been kind of glossed over in my games since they all grant the spells. Hoping to bring in some nuance on the topic with this new perspective.


Pathfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber
Ron Lundeen wrote:
ratcatbo wrote:
Im so excited for this mod i could scream
Go ahead--it's not against the law or anything.

good point ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dark Archive

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Companion, Modules, Roleplaying Game Subscriber

Soooo how about now?


Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

Some site issues are holding up shipping, folks are working on it (o'-')b


Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

Got mine today!

Dark Archive

Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

How's the 'pomp article, Wight?


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber
DeciusNero wrote:
How's the 'pomp article, Wight?

I may not be Wight, but I'll answer! The Psychopomp article is quite interesting!

It starts off with some basics: Ecology and Society. What you'd expect from an "Ecology of" article. Then it goes into detail about how Psychopomps view and interact with the dead, the living, the undead, and the immortal. After that it gets into the different types of general roles psychopomps might take and how different psychopomps might perform them.

It doesn't have any new statblocks, rules, or a detailed list of all psychopomp variants though, if anyone was looking for that. This is more of an overview of the general mentality and social structure of the 'pomps.

I'll gladly answer any other questions people might have. Of course while endeavouring to remain within the bounds of spoiler-free territory.

Dark Archive

Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

Thank you, Trichotome. Was there mention of the Ushers?


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

Sure thing!

As for Ushers, there are only a few small mentions. The largest chunk is a paragraph describing how they are perceived by their fellow psychopomps as demigods in comparison to how psychopomps view other deities. Short answer: psychopomps aren't especially impressed by gods, and while ushers get a bit of extra respect due to their seniority, they're viewed pretty much the same way.

Dark Archive

Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

Interesting, thank you!


Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

The Encircling Bower L9:
As far as I know, outsiders in the material plane are permanently killed, as long as they traveled there or are called, not summoned. The Placid One is really on the Material Plane, so he would be truly dead if killed.


Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber
Amaranthine Witch wrote:
** spoiler omitted **

It's because of the specific creature involved.

Spoiler:
Denizens of Leng have an ability called Planar Fast Healing that prevents them from dying on the material plane just like a summoned creature.


Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber
Trichotome wrote:
Amaranthine Witch wrote:
** spoiler omitted **

It's because of the specific creature involved.

** spoiler omitted **

I was specifically looking at the creature's statblock searching for something like that... and still missed it. Sorry.


My question, can we get a bestiary list up and running Trich?


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Paizo Charter Superscriber; Pathfinder Deluxe Comics Subscriber; Pathfinder Legends Subscriber; Pathfinder Tales Subscriber; Starfinder Charter Superscriber

Bestiary entries:

Spoiler:

  • Black Shuck, CN Large magical beast, CR 7.
  • Bloodplate Burster, N Huge plant, CR 9.
  • Grassling, CN Small fey, CR 6.
  • Sishkanset, NE Medium incorporeal outsider, CR 8.
  • Vovorak, N Huge magical beast, CR 10.


Zaister!

Spoiler:
Could I get some more details on Sishkanset?


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

Sishkanset:

Spoiler:
Psychic imprints of souls that died isolated in the wilderness. They roam the countryside, causing light winds and seeking out mortals to afflict with their madness to temporarily relieve their own. Lots of whispers of madness in the wind thematics.


Trichotome wrote:

Sishkanset:

** spoiler omitted **

Weird that they're outsiders, not undead.


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber

The ethereal plane does crazy things to people, see the Adherer. :-)


3 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

A note on the sishkanset: when I was writing it, I had the "opportunity" to stand out in 20mph winds, the upper bound of Pathfinder's moderate wind category.
They don't feel particularly moderate!


Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber
Xenocrat wrote:
Trichotome wrote:

Sishkanset:

** spoiler omitted **
Weird that they're outsiders, not undead.

I believe my first description of them to my players was "I Can't Believe It's Not Undead (tm)", so I feel you there. Captain Yesterday does have the right of it though: the Etherial Plain does indeed do weird stuff to people.

Dark Archive

Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

Hmm, bit disappointed there isn't social combat in this one, but it is still full of intrigue, investigation, mind control, betrayals, assassinations etc so all good. I don't have time to read it in detail right now though :'D

I do wonder one thing though:
Does the future AP parts take in account what happens if party gets unlucky and Xan kills Cassius or something else happens to him like players being overly paranoid due to Xan's words?


Zaister wrote:

Bestiary entries:

** spoiler omitted **

Thanks for the Bestiary. Can we know how they look please? a brief description of their images. Thanks a lot.


Pathfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber

a black shuck looks like a dog with one green eye

Blood plate butster is kind of hard to describe its sort of like part snale with vine arms and no face

Grassling is a four armend plant man

Vorvorock is a crocodile with dragon wings


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

This module is full of people casting spells and spell-like abilities (mainly charms) stealthily, without any of the feats that make it possible.
Paizo made the rule that all spells have "manifestations", they really should stop putting that tactic in adventures.

Silver Crusade

2 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Modules, Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Roleplaying Guild, Tales Subscriber; Pathfinder Comics Subscriber
Amaranthine Witch wrote:

This module is full of people casting spells and spell-like abilities (mainly charms) stealthily, without any of the feats that make it possible.

Paizo made the rule that all spells have "manifestations", they really should stop putting that tactic in adventures.

It's full of people using charm effects in the background. The only NPC I've seen in it that actively attempts to use charm it just says that he "attempts" to use it, it does not state how he goes about attempting, that's up to the GM. It also goes on to state that if he is confronted about it he immediately panics and attacks.


Pathfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber

If you don't like their tactics, change them. :-)


As for the Resurrection topic, I think many of the gods would not be that bothered due to some factors,

Resurrection takes a lot of money as well as a suitably high level cleric. Such things are out of reach of many people and so the number who come back will be much much less than those who don't. Plus eventually money+clerics will run out and people hit old age and won't be able to come back. Those who go immortal tend to get tired eventually or have unfortunate adventurer accidents.


ratcatbo wrote:

a black shuck looks like a dog with one green eye

Blood plate butster is kind of hard to describe its sort of like part snale with vine arms and no face

Grassling is a four armend plant man

Vorvorock is a crocodile with dragon wings

Excellent, thanks.

Dark Archive

Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

Oooh, Black shuck <3


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

Black Shuck

Spoiler:
What you get when you mix a feral dog with a...bog witch, I guess? Kinda nasty and generally unpleasant. (8/10 should probably not pet but will still be tempted)


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Roleplaying Game Subscriber

Question about the resurrection article:
It mentions a type of undead called "reviviphages" that feed pretty much exclusively on resurrected people. What the heck ARE "reviviphages"? I've searched the PF wiki, archives of N, and d20pfsrd, and gotten nothing. Even a straight google search gives me "no results." I didn't even think that was possible.

Dark Archive

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

I don't think it was meant to be type of undead, I thought it was term equivalent to "vegetarian", you know undead who have culinary taste for resurrected people


Pathfinder Adventure Path, Roleplaying Game Subscriber
CorvusMask wrote:
I don't think it was meant to be type of undead, I thought it was term equivalent to "vegetarian", you know undead who have culinary taste for resurrected people

That makes sense.


Pathfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Adventure Path Subscriber
CorvusMask wrote:

Hmm, bit disappointed there isn't social combat in this one, but it is still full of intrigue, investigation, mind control, betrayals, assassinations etc so all good. I don't have time to read it in detail right now though :'D

Very odd, especially since I've come across a few encounters that seem like they should be social combat. I'll probably stat up a couple NPCs, just for practice.


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Adventure Path Charter Subscriber; Pathfinder Companion, Modules, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber
Nate Z wrote:

Question about the resurrection article:

It mentions a type of undead called "reviviphages" that feed pretty much exclusively on resurrected people. What the heck ARE "reviviphages"? I've searched the PF wiki, archives of N, and d20pfsrd, and gotten nothing. Even a straight google search gives me "no results." I didn't even think that was possible.

CorvusMask has it right, Nate. At present, reviviphages are a plot seed left for the GM to flesh out (pun absolutely intended). An easy shortcut would be to assume that these are powerful specimens (Advanced and/or with class levels) of the various flesh-eating undead types—think ghouls, ghasts, ghuls, etc.—who seek out and devour the revived (hence the name). What benefits they might gain when they've had such a meal is up to you...


Pathfinder Adventure Path, Roleplaying Game Subscriber
DJ Patch wrote:

CorvusMask has it right, Nate. At present, reviviphages are a plot seed left for the GM to flesh out (pun absolutely intended). An easy shortcut would be to assume that these are powerful specimens (Advanced and/or with class levels) of the various flesh-eating undead types—think ghouls, ghasts, ghuls, etc.—who seek out and devour the revived (hence the name). What benefits they might gain when they've had such a meal is up to you...

Thank you for the clarification. :)


3 people marked this as a favorite.
Adventure Path Charter Subscriber; Pathfinder Companion, Modules, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber
Nate Z wrote:
DJ Patch wrote:

CorvusMask has it right, Nate. At present, reviviphages are a plot seed left for the GM to flesh out (pun absolutely intended). An easy shortcut would be to assume that these are powerful specimens (Advanced and/or with class levels) of the various flesh-eating undead types—think ghouls, ghasts, ghuls, etc.—who seek out and devour the revived (hence the name). What benefits they might gain when they've had such a meal is up to you...

Thank you for the clarification. :)

Anytime! (And thanks for checking out the article!) If your party's PCs make it to Nemret Noktoria, have them send me a postcard.


Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

Have people received their copy yet? Mine has not yet been delivered.


Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

So, to second a point made above, are the future adventures in the path going to account for the possibility that an evil or neutral party might just decide to eliminate the threat to Eutropia's claim?


DJ Patch wrote:
Nate Z wrote:

Question about the resurrection article:

It mentions a type of undead called "reviviphages" that feed pretty much exclusively on resurrected people. What the heck ARE "reviviphages"? I've searched the PF wiki, archives of N, and d20pfsrd, and gotten nothing. Even a straight google search gives me "no results." I didn't even think that was possible.
CorvusMask has it right, Nate. At present, reviviphages are a plot seed left for the GM to flesh out (pun absolutely intended). An easy shortcut would be to assume that these are powerful specimens (Advanced and/or with class levels) of the various flesh-eating undead types—think ghouls, ghasts, ghuls, etc.—who seek out and devour the revived (hence the name). What benefits they might gain when they've had such a meal is up to you...

Mention it temporarily give them the sensations they had when living (like taste and smell).

This seriously need to be answered.

CorvusMask wrote:
I do wonder one thing though:
Does the future AP parts take in account what happens if party gets unlucky and Xan kills Cassius or something else happens to him like players being overly paranoid due to Xan's words?

President, SmiteWorks

This was just now released for play on Fantasy Grounds.

Get it for $7 if you already own the PDF.
Pathfinder Adventure Path #129: The Twilight Child (War for the Crown 3 of 6) for Fantasy Grounds


From Ron Lundeen in:

Spoiler:
Ron Lundeen wrote:
Seannoss wrote:

From what we know so far, isn't Xan right about Carrius being resurrected outside the natural process? Would Xan know about the extra souls coming back with him? It seems like he should.

This could be a bit early but are there contingencies for what happens if the prince doesn't make it? I could easily see PCs turning him over, or Xan killing him, or defeating the PCs considering they could fight him at 7th or 8th level.

Xan knows something strange has occurred with Prince Carrius, but he doesn't know about extra souls; he's going off half-cocked in his investigation, and overreaching in what he assumes to be Pharasma's will. (Pharasma doesn't want Carrius killed, but only studied to see what happened and whether it's a larger danger; see the sidebar on page 22.)

The need for the contingencies you mention should be small; the PCs heard right at the beginning that they should bring Carrius back to the Palace of Birdsong for more investigation, and Xan wants him dead, dead, dead. I have a hard time seeing the PCs siding with an aggressive and bloodthirsty outsider over their patron for the last several adventures. It wouldn't be much of a situation if Xan were some other type of outsider--a demon, say; the PCs would more naturally oppose him. But because he's a purportedly neutral agent of death, it's important to frame his as an antagonist throughout the adventure, and there should be enough interaction with Xan before the fight for the PCs to get this.

Also, Xan doesn't just murder Carrius if the PCs are around; he specifically targets the PCs first, to get them out of the way--but, from a narrative perspective, it's so they have an opportunity to defend the prince.

The last point you mention is a good one: the PCs know something is up with the Cult of the Twilight Child, so they might just make a beeline for the Encircling Bower, nab the prince, and jet out of Yanmass. That would trigger the confrontation with Xan while they're still a lower-than-expected level. The GM has several tools to discourage this path.

First, the Mercantile Council plainly considers the cult to be a lesser priority over the disturbing dreams and disappearance of the Taldan Horse. Except for the Chief Enumerator--who's worried about his church's reputation being harmed--the leaders in town all want the PCs to tackle the first two items first. Since the PCs' primary goal is to sway the Mercantile Council, these other activities should probably come first.

Second, most investigation of the Encircling Bower is sloooow. The PCs probably want to ask around town about the cult (which takes some time to gather information), and probably want to attend a service (which is only at dusk) and maybe plan an insertion during a later service or at a later time. All these things present a great opportunity for the PCs to investigate the other troubles at the same time, and some of those investigations have more concrete leads that the PCs can follow. In particular, the locations of Sanguine Brothers and Tallgrasses have several encounters and are likely to grant the PCs XP and treasure useful to fight Xan.

Xan is intended to be the final encounter of the adventure; that might not work out to be the case, but the GM has a lot of tools to make it so.

But let's circle back to the question: what if Carrius is killed? That would require a little bit of work to get the adventure path back on track. Some actor other than the PCs need to bring him back. Perhaps the Immaculate Circle installed a "spiritual contingency" that restores Carrius to life fairly quickly; or perhaps Pharasma does so, as part of her investigation into why the prince is unique. Whether that requires extra legwork or complications for the PCs would be up to the GM.

51 to 100 of 101 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Paizo / Product Discussion / Pathfinder Adventure Path #129: The Twilight Child (War for the Crown 3 of 6) All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.