Starfinder Society Roleplaying Guild Quest: Into the Unknown PDF

****( ) (based on 17 ratings)

Our Price: FREE

Add to Cart
Facebook Twitter Email

A series of five Starfinder Quests designed for 1st-level characters.

When a mysterious visitor comes to Absalom Station selling items belonging to a lost Starfinder, the Starfinder Society takes note. The PCs are dispatched to discover out how the recent arrival found these items, leading them on a series of quests beyond the Pact Worlds and into the stars.

"Into the Unknown" includes five, 1-hour adventures that take the PCs from exploring Absalom Station, to partaking in starship combat, to exploring an alien world. The fifth adventure in the series provides a stunning conclusion that takes the PC's previous accomplishments into account for a climactic final showdown against an enemy starship.

Written by Ron Lundeen.

Starfinder Society Scenario Tags: Quest, Repeatable, Starship

Product Availability

Will be added to your My Downloads Page immediately upon purchase of PDF.

Are there errors or omissions in this product information? Got corrections? Let us know at store@paizo.com.

PZOSFQ0001E


See Also:



1 to 5 of 17 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | next > last >>

Average product rating:

****( ) (based on 17 ratings)

Sign in to create or edit a product review.

A good start for new players

****( )

I have found Into the Unknown gives everyone a little taste of each section of Starfinder.


*****


Awesome Intro!

*****

This quest was a phenomenal intro into Starfinder. It displayed and helped explain many pivotal concepts to Starfinder (i.e. starship combat, the SF action system, the new DC system, etc..). Also, when played in order, it had a great, albeit segmented, storyline.


Nice 2nd scenario

*****

Story-wise it seems it is best to run this scenario as the 2nd adventure...
Otherwise, it is a nice adventure, that can easily be broken down into two sessions (the first 3 parts, then the second 2).
Good intro' to space combat.
A nice varied scenario.


Good intro to Starfinder

****( )

From my experiences as a player on roll20 and a GM at my local gaming store:

All in all, this series of quests has a little bit of everything and serves as a good intro into Starfinder (Society) play. The plot isn't super complex and nobody would confuse the quest series for a sandbox, but for introducing players and GMs to starship combat, normal combat, some skill checks, and even an environmental hazard, the quest series gets the job done.

Not 5 stars, though, because for PCs entering into Starfinder Society play I think 1-01 The Commencement does a much better job of making the setting (and the scenario) come alive for the PCs. Still recommended for newbies to get acquainted with the game, just as their second scenario!


1 to 5 of 17 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | next > last >>
1 to 50 of 61 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | next > last >>
Paizo Employee Pathfinder Society Lead Developer

2 people marked this as a favorite.

Maps Appearing in Starfinder Society Quests: Into the Unknown:

  • Starfinder Flip-Mat: Basic Starfield
  • Starfinder Flip-Mat: Basic Terrain
  • Pathfinder Map Pack: Starship Chambers
  • Pathfinder Map Pack: Starship Corridors
  • Grand Lodge

    Pathfinder Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Society Roleplaying Guild Subscriber

    Nice, the product page is there :D

    Need to favorite this one so I don't lose sight of it.

    Scarab Sages

    Adventure Path Charter Subscriber; Pathfinder Battles Case Subscriber; Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Companion, Maps, Modules, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Maps Subscriber

    So does this include the pregens, or do they come separately?

    Paizo Employee Pathfinder Society Lead Developer

    2 people marked this as a favorite.
    sanwah68 wrote:
    So does this include the pregens, or do they come separately?

    Pregenerated characters for this adventure would be the seven iconic characters set to be released for use in Starfinder Society Roleplaying Guild as a whole. I anticipate the pregenerated characters will be a separate download on a Starfinder Society resources page, much as are the pregenerated characters for Pathfinder Society now.

    Scarab Sages

    Adventure Path Charter Subscriber; Pathfinder Battles Case Subscriber; Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Companion, Maps, Modules, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Maps Subscriber

    Thanks John.

    I have an event planned for that first weekend, so I am just making sure my ducks line up :)

    Grand Lodge

    1 person marked this as a favorite.
    Pathfinder Starfinder Society Roleplaying Guild Subscriber

    Why have the Quests been taken off the Available list with a release date of August 17th and made unavailable?


    Mad Chemist wrote:
    Why have the Quests been taken off the Available list with a release date of August 17th and made unavailable?

    Seconded. I'm tentatively planning to run these back home during Gencon, but if that's not in the cards, it would be great to know...

    Dark Archive

    I guess that means that they won´t be available before august 17th?

    Is there an ETA for the downloadable iconic Starfinder pregenerated characters?

    Paizo Employee Pathfinder Society Lead Developer

    2 people marked this as a favorite.
    Marco Massoudi wrote:

    I guess that means that they won´t be available before august 17th?

    Is there an ETA for the downloadable iconic Starfinder pregenerated characters?

    The pregenerated characters are in the later stages of production, so they should be showing up soon.

    As for having these quests available earlier, the public release date is the date at which they're released to the public. Our digital-only products do not have an early PDF granted in the same way that physical subscription products do, and the only people who get early access to these adventures are the volunteer GMs who are preparing to run them at Gen Con. For all other intents and purposes, August 17th is the release date, so plan your events accordingly.

    Dark Archive

    John Compton wrote:
    Marco Massoudi wrote:

    I guess that means that they won´t be available before august 17th?

    Is there an ETA for the downloadable iconic Starfinder pregenerated characters?

    The pregenerated characters are in the later stages of production, so they should be showing up soon.

    As for having these quests available earlier, the public release date is the date at which they're released to the public. Our digital-only products do not have an early PDF granted in the same way that physical subscription products do, and the only people who get early access to these adventures are the volunteer GMs who are preparing to run them at Gen Con. For all other intents and purposes, August 17th is the release date, so plan your events accordingly.

    Thank you, John. Much appreciated! :-)


    John Compton wrote:

    The pregenerated characters are in the later stages of production, so they should be showing up soon.

    As for having these quests available earlier, the public release date is the date at which they're released to the public. Our digital-only products do not have an early PDF granted in the same way that physical subscription products do, and the only people who get early access to these adventures are the volunteer GMs who are preparing to run them at Gen Con. For all other intents and purposes, August 17th is the release date, so plan your events accordingly.

    John:

    Thank you for confirming that this will in fact be available on the 17th.

    Dark Archive

    1 person marked this as a favorite.
    Pathfinder Battles Case Subscriber; Starfinder Superscriber

    Can you tell me what the cost for this PDF is?

    Dark Archive

    2 people marked this as a favorite.
    Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Roleplaying Game Subscriber; Pathfinder Comics Subscriber; Starfinder Charter Superscriber
    Mine all mine...don't touch wrote:
    Can you tell me what the cost for this PDF is?

    Normally Quests are free, although not sure if a pack of them would be charged for.

    Personally I'd hope they would be free - This sounds like it would work well as a 'introducing people to Starfinder' product.

    Paizo Employee Community & Digital Content Director

    8 people marked this as a favorite.

    These Quests will be free! :)


    1 person marked this as a favorite.

    Yay!

    Dark Archive

    1 person marked this as a favorite.
    Chris Lambertz wrote:
    These Quests will be free! :)

    Incredible! You guys and gals are the greatest!

    That's the sort of "entry-drug" i was hoping for. ;-)

    Silver Crusade

    2 people marked this as a favorite.
    Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

    FREE QUESTS? WUNDERBAR!


    1 person marked this as a favorite.

    SWEET!!, can't wait to run this for some of the 40+ players in my SF Roll20 group!!

    Bless you :)

    Tom


    1 person marked this as a favorite.
    Pathfinder Adventure Path, Card Game, Class Deck, Maps, Roleplaying Game Subscriber; Pathfinder Comics Subscriber; Starfinder Charter Superscriber
    John Compton wrote:
    Pregenerated characters for this adventure would be the seven iconic characters set to be released for use in Starfinder Society Roleplaying Guild as a whole. I anticipate the pregenerated characters will be a separate download on a Starfinder Society resources page, much as are the pregenerated characters for Pathfinder Society now.

    The Starfinder pregenerated characters can be located here.

    Paizo Employee Contributor

    5 people marked this as a favorite.
    Chris Lambertz wrote:
    These Quests will be free! :)

    You're giving away my hand-crafted, expertly-written quests for...FREE?

    That's awesome! :-)


    1 person marked this as a favorite.
    Pathfinder Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Roleplaying Guild Subscriber

    Checks to see if it's available.. it says today.. but it is today! :) ah well Ill check back


    Maybe we have to wait for a different today?


    Starfinder Charter Superscriber

    Because I live overseas, the site has been telling me that the PDFs will be available "today" for approximately 36 hours now :)

    Paizo Employee Community & Digital Content Director

    2 people marked this as a favorite.

    I kicked it, should be ready for y'all now :)


    1 person marked this as a favorite.

    YAY!

    Thankies Chris!


    1 person marked this as a favorite.
    Pathfinder Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Roleplaying Guild Subscriber

    Are these quests evergreen?


    1 person marked this as a favorite.
    Starfinder Charter Superscriber
    caps wrote:
    Are these quests evergreen?

    Yes, it is tagged as replayable.

    On that topic, I'm not entirely clear what is meant by this...

    Quote:
    Into the Unknown can be replayed for credit, but the credit must be applied to a different 1st-level character each time. When a GM runs a quest, she also gets credit applied to a character. However, each time she runs one, she can check off any one of the quest boxes on her Chronicle sheet. In this way, a GM can continue to earn credit toward a character even if she runs the same quest several times for different groups.

    What "quest boxes" is it talking about? There don't appear to be any boxes on the chronicle sheet for each quest completed, just for clues found. Is the idea that whenever you run a quest from this you can treat it as if your character that's getting GM credit has completed an arbitrary one of the quests (so you can always make progress to having done all of them, even if you ended up rerunning the same one for multiple different groups)?

    Dark Archive

    Usually on the chronicle sheet each quest has a check box preceding it for the GM To check to show the character has played through that one. It's entirely possible the boxes went missing (I haven't downloaded it yet), but the idea is the same. In an effort to not penalize GMs at conventions (or the like) who run the same one over and over, every quest run counts as a quest of their choice for their GM chronicle.


    Starfinder Charter Superscriber
    Alanya wrote:
    Usually on the chronicle sheet each quest has a check box preceding it for the GM To check to show the character has played through that one. It's entirely possible the boxes went missing (I haven't downloaded it yet), but the idea is the same. In an effort to not penalize GMs at conventions (or the like) who run the same one over and over, every quest run counts as a quest of their choice for their GM chronicle.

    Ok, that makes sense. Thanks.

    Dark Archive

    Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Roleplaying Game Subscriber; Pathfinder Comics Subscriber; Starfinder Charter Superscriber
    Alanya wrote:
    Usually on the chronicle sheet each quest has a check box preceding it for the GM To check to show the character has played through that one. It's entirely possible the boxes went missing (I haven't downloaded it yet), but the idea is the same. In an effort to not penalize GMs at conventions (or the like) who run the same one over and over, every quest run counts as a quest of their choice for their GM chronicle.

    The chronicle instruction says to circle the quests as and when, which might mean that it's a case of some standard text being copied in and not updated


    Hey, all - first time running quests in the organized play format. Just to make sure I have it right, if a player runs a pregen through all 5 components of this quest, they'd end up with:

    A) 2120 Credits, 5 XP, 7 Fame/Reputation, and two boons

    or

    B) 720 Credits, 1 XP, 2 Fame/Reputation, and two boons

    Thanks!

    Dark Archive

    2 people marked this as a favorite.

    Option B. They apply the credits/XP/Fame/Reputation of the highest amount completed. The listed amounts at lower quest completed levels are what they get if they choose to apply another chronicle sheet to the character before finishing them all (which prevents them from ever going back and playing more of the quests with the same character).


    2 people marked this as a favorite.
    Pathfinder Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Society Roleplaying Guild Subscriber

    In area C should the party be heading north or south? I'm pretty sure it's meant to be north but my map doesn't have C1,2 or 3 marked anywhere.

    Grand Lodge

    1 person marked this as a favorite.

    Do you have to play pregens in these? Or can you bring your own character?


    1 person marked this as a favorite.
    Jurassic Pratt wrote:
    Do you have to play pregens in these? Or can you bring your own character?

    You may bring your own.

    Scarab Sages

    Pathfinder Starfinder Maps, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Roleplaying Guild Subscriber
    rooneg wrote:
    Yes, it is tagged as replayable.

    I keep hearing about scenarios being tagged as this or that, but _where_ are these tags displayed?

    RPG Superstar 2009 Top 32

    How are the crew numbers for the two NPC starships calculated? They seem a bit high for the intended player levels.

    Silver Crusade

    Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber
    Lord Fyre wrote:
    How are the crew numbers for the two NPC starships calculated? They seem a bit high for the intended player levels.

    Starfinder NPCs aren't built by the same rules as PCs.


    Pathfinder Adventure Path, Maps Subscriber; Pathfinder Battles Case Subscriber; Pathfinder Deluxe Comics Subscriber; Starfinder Charter Superscriber
    doktorJung wrote:
    rooneg wrote:
    Yes, it is tagged as replayable.
    I keep hearing about scenarios being tagged as this or that, but _where_ are these tags displayed?

    The front page, under the table of contents.

    I don't know if there's a way to find the tags if you don't own the scenario.


    Pathfinder Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Society Roleplaying Guild Subscriber
    Steve Geddes wrote:
    doktorJung wrote:
    rooneg wrote:
    Yes, it is tagged as replayable.
    I keep hearing about scenarios being tagged as this or that, but _where_ are these tags displayed?

    The front page, under the table of contents.

    I don't know if there's a way to find the tags if you don't own the scenario.

    Could be something they put into the product descriptions (if there was a way to see which scenarios had which tag in a big list or searchable way that would be great), or people who have the scenario could add it to the related pages wiki.

    RPG Superstar 2009 Top 32

    Gorbacz wrote:
    Lord Fyre wrote:
    How are the crew numbers for the two NPC starships calculated? They seem a bit high for the intended player levels.
    Starfinder NPCs aren't built by the same rules as PCs.

    I know. I meant that they seem too high for the intended challenge level; a recipe for a TPK.


    Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

    I know this is picky, but, I have been playing with creating a Mystic character, and saw this with the pregens.

    Nowhere in the character sheet, on the Mystic pregens, does it say what the connection is. It is easy to figure out because of two of his SA, but I was thinking that instead of just:

    Male shirren priest mystic 1

    that the connections is added like this:

    Male shirren priest mystic(healer) 1

    thanks for listening.

    -- david

    Scarab Sages

    Pathfinder Starfinder Maps, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Roleplaying Guild Subscriber
    Steve Geddes wrote:

    The front page, under the table of contents.

    I don't know if there's a way to find the tags if you don't own the scenario.

    Aha, thanks! And yes, showing tags somewhere in the description here or in a combined document would be nice.

    Liberty's Edge

    Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Modules, Roleplaying Game Subscriber; Starfinder Charter Superscriber
    Lord Fyre wrote:
    Gorbacz wrote:
    Lord Fyre wrote:
    How are the crew numbers for the two NPC starships calculated? They seem a bit high for the intended player levels.
    Starfinder NPCs aren't built by the same rules as PCs.
    I know. I meant that they seem too high for the intended challenge level; a recipe for a TPK.

    The PCs have a much faster and more maneuverable ship. It makes a HUGE difference.

    Even the team I mistakenly did double damage to with the big gun on round 1 Was able to defeat the enemy through piloting properly.


    Good to have some free Starfindin' Unknown Guild Questin' stuff out there. ;)

    Dataphiles

    Expecting to run this a couple times I entered all the ships on the Starship Control sheet with extra GM notes. Can someone tell me where I got the math wrong for the first enemy ship? When I calculated the AC and TL out it came to AC: 10 TL: 10. +1 for Piloting but -1 for Large Size. But the scenario shows AC:11 and TL: 11. No armor or defensive systems listed.

    Sovereign Court

    Pathfinder Adventure Path, Card Game, Class Deck, Starfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

    The pilot has 2 ranks in Piloting (+2), and the ship is Large size (-1), so an AC & TL of 11 is correct.

    Dataphiles

    Iammars wrote:
    The pilot has 2 ranks in Piloting (+2), and the ship is Large size (-1), so an AC & TL of 11 is correct.

    Then shouldn't the Loreseeker's AC & TL be 12 not 13?

    RPG Superstar 2009 Top 32

    7O1 wrote:
    Iammars wrote:
    The pilot has 2 ranks in Piloting (+2), and the ship is Large size (-1), so an AC & TL of 11 is correct.
    Then shouldn't the Loreseeker's AC & TL be 12 not 13?

    They didn't want to pre-figure it, because, while unlikely, it is possible that the party may be forced to use the Piloting skill untrained.


    1 person marked this as a favorite.

    Will they fix the ship map to show where is C1, C2 and C3?

    1 to 50 of 61 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | next > last >>
    Community / Forums / Paizo / Product Discussion / Starfinder Society Roleplaying Guild Quest: Into the Unknown PDF All Messageboards

    Want to post a reply? Sign in.