Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
Pathfinder Adventure Card Game Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Pathfinder Adventures Pathfinder Campaign Setting Pathfinder Player Companion Pathfinder Accessories Pathfinder Miniatures Pathfinder Fiction Pathfinder Society Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Compatible Products Pathfinder Apparel & Gifts Pathfinder Licensed Products
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game

Starfinder


Pathfinder Society


Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Player Companion: Blood of the Coven (PFRPG)

Our Price: $14.99

Preorder expected

Add to Cart
Facebook Twitter Email

Discover the mysteries of witchcraft and natural magic inside Pathfinder Player Companion: Blood of the Coven. Whether you've tapped into the magic of the wilds or you're a changeling who's inherited the blood of hags, now's your chance to indulge in some of the Pathfinder world's most enigmatic mystical secrets. New curses, hexes, and patrons further explore the witching world, while hosts of new archetypes, spells, magic items, rituals, and stranger practices unleash a cauldron of supernatural potential. Unlock the power inside your character and make the might of the coven yours to command!

ISBN-13: 978-1-60125-982-0

Note: This product is part of the Pathfinder Player Companion Subscription.

Product Availability

Preorder - Expected approximately .

Are there errors or omissions in this product information? Got corrections? Let us know at store@paizo.com.

PZO9485


See Also:



Product Discussion (90)
51 to 90 of 90 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | next > last >>

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Companion, Maps, Modules, Roleplaying Game Subscriber; Starfinder Charter Superscriber
tthorn3 wrote:
I am hoping that this book will fix the height discrepancy between the changeling table and description, but that may be a false hope.

That was actually correctly fixed in the errata to the Advanced Race Guide.


All I care about is more spells for witches and maybe a few for changelings.

Contributor

1 person marked this as a favorite.

Sounds good. More witch love.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Well you would know Christina. ;) But yes. Witch love is good loving.

Silver Crusade

I hope they add something to make Patrons more flavourful, all they give is bonus spells. Every other class's starting choice has some extra power, +1 to a skill, or something.

Compare Witch Patrons to Shaman's Spirits, Oracle's Mysteries, Cavalier's Orders, or Wizard Schools.

I like Witches, and I'd want more choice in my Patrons than just spells.

Dark Archive

2 people marked this as a favorite.
Laird IceCubez wrote:
I like Witches, and I'd want more choice in my Patrons than just spells.

An Archetype that developed the Patron a bit more, either including some built-in drawbacks, such as the Oracle Curse, or had some balancing factors to counter any increased power, such as reduced hexes or spells / day or something, could be neat.


Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber, Companion Subscriber

I just want a ton more hexes, especially some elemental ones and other types that would fit the various patrons out there.

Dark Archive

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Dragon78 wrote:
I just want a ton more hexes, especially some elemental ones and other types that would fit the various patrons out there.

I amused myself for awhile coming up with hexes themed for the various Golarion gods (vengeance and trickery and lust themed hexes for Calistria, for instance), so, yeah, it's a fertile field to play around in.


Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber, Companion Subscriber

I would also like to one day see a martial class that uses hexes but I doubt we see anything beyond a few archetypes.


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Companion, Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber
Dragon78 wrote:
I would also like to one day see a martial class that uses hexes but I doubt we see anything beyond a few archetypes.

Yeah, I've thought I'd like to see a martial that uses the same design space as the witch, drawing their power from a pact made with an otherworldly power like the witch, but groomed to be a martial champion to serve their purposes instead. Full BAB, 4th-level Intelligence-based spellcasting, and some access to hexes or similar things...something like 3.5's hexblade, but better designed. Perhaps rather than a familiar, instead they are granted a runic weapon - usually two-handed - that acts as their link to their patron, as well as providing an self-improving weapon as their link broadens. Though rather than hexes, something that acts like the mesmerist's hypnotic stare with various bold stare improvements could also be cool and potentially work better with the action economy of a martial character...

Well, at least partially just because I want a few more classes in the design space of a full BAB, 4th-level caster. I'd really like a psychic class with full BAB and 4th-level spellcasting...

Edit: Though, obviously, a new class isn't going to show up in a player's companion! Just musing a bit. Archetypes might be possible...an accursed bloodrager would be pretty neat, especially if they can grab a few hexes as bloodline powers. A hexslinger gunslinger archetype that shoots cursed bullets would be fun too...and a vigilante talent for the cabalist vigilante only (like Harsh Judgment for the zealot) that grants a hex or two could be fun as well. A feat to let the magical girl vigilante archetype snag some witch spells along the lines of the Unsanctioned Knowledge feat for paladins could be fun as well...and a monk or ninja archetype that uses ki to curse people sounds very thematically fun as well...


Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber, Companion Subscriber

I would also like a few psychic based martial classes. But of course full classes would only be in the RPG line.

I see we are getting some new curses for witches though I wonder if maybe we will get at least one new oracle curse or maybe some curse based story feats.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

This Hag-themed thread *here* ... is an incredibly comprehensive list of all the hag, hag-offspring and hag-related creatures in D&D 3.5, D20/OGL 3PP, Paizo PF and some 3PP PF. It hasn't been updated in a while. But still, the list entries are numerous and impressively comprehensive. I'm sure some of you hag-fans could update the list with some more up-to-date Paizo and 3PP hags if they so desire.

That all said, I'm excited about Blood of the Coven! I hope we get at least a dozen more hags or thematically-related beasties included in this upcoming book.


Luthorne wrote:
Dragon78 wrote:
I would also like to one day see a martial class that uses hexes but I doubt we see anything beyond a few archetypes.

Yeah, I've thought I'd like to see a martial that uses the same design space as the witch, drawing their power from a pact made with an otherworldly power like the witch, but groomed to be a martial champion to serve their purposes instead. Full BAB, 4th-level Intelligence-based spellcasting, and some access to hexes or similar things...something like 3.5's hexblade, but better designed. Perhaps rather than a familiar, instead they are granted a runic weapon - usually two-handed - that acts as their link to their patron, as well as providing an self-improving weapon as their link broadens. Though rather than hexes, something that acts like the mesmerist's hypnotic stare with various bold stare improvements could also be cool and potentially work better with the action economy of a martial character...

Well, at least partially just because I want a few more classes in the design space of a full BAB, 4th-level caster. I'd really like a psychic class with full BAB and 4th-level spellcasting...

Edit: Though, obviously, a new class isn't going to show up in a player's companion! Just musing a bit. Archetypes might be possible...an accursed bloodrager would be pretty neat, especially if they can grab a few hexes as bloodline powers. A hexslinger gunslinger archetype that shoots cursed bullets would be fun too...and a vigilante talent for the cabalist vigilante only (like Harsh Judgment for the zealot) that grants a hex or two could be fun as well. A feat to let the magical girl vigilante archetype snag some witch spells along the lines of the Unsanctioned Knowledge feat for paladins could be fun as well...and a monk or ninja archetype that uses ki to curse people sounds very thematically fun as well...

Hexcrafter Magus ?


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Companion, Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber
nighttree wrote:
Luthorne wrote:
Dragon78 wrote:
I would also like to one day see a martial class that uses hexes but I doubt we see anything beyond a few archetypes.

Yeah, I've thought I'd like to see a martial that uses the same design space as the witch, drawing their power from a pact made with an otherworldly power like the witch, but groomed to be a martial champion to serve their purposes instead. Full BAB, 4th-level Intelligence-based spellcasting, and some access to hexes or similar things...something like 3.5's hexblade, but better designed. Perhaps rather than a familiar, instead they are granted a runic weapon - usually two-handed - that acts as their link to their patron, as well as providing an self-improving weapon as their link broadens. Though rather than hexes, something that acts like the mesmerist's hypnotic stare with various bold stare improvements could also be cool and potentially work better with the action economy of a martial character...

Well, at least partially just because I want a few more classes in the design space of a full BAB, 4th-level caster. I'd really like a psychic class with full BAB and 4th-level spellcasting...

Edit: Though, obviously, a new class isn't going to show up in a player's companion! Just musing a bit. Archetypes might be possible...an accursed bloodrager would be pretty neat, especially if they can grab a few hexes as bloodline powers. A hexslinger gunslinger archetype that shoots cursed bullets would be fun too...and a vigilante talent for the cabalist vigilante only (like Harsh Judgment for the zealot) that grants a hex or two could be fun as well. A feat to let the magical girl vigilante archetype snag some witch spells along the lines of the Unsanctioned Knowledge feat for paladins could be fun as well...and a monk or ninja archetype that uses ki to curse people sounds very thematically fun as well...

Hexcrafter Magus ?

Definitely not a full BAB, 4th-level spellcaster. I mean, if you want a magus with some hexes and curse spells, that's fine, I'm more interested in someone that's primarily a martial with some magic or supernatural abilities that fills in a similar concept as the witch. Just instead of a patron cultivating a spellcaster, they're training up a warrior with a smattering of spells and other supernatural abilities...closer to a bloodrager or ranger.

Liberty's Edge

Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber, Companion, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber
Luthorne wrote:
...a full BAB, 4th-level spellcaster. ... someone that's primarily a martial with some magic or supernatural abilities that fills in a similar concept as the witch. Just instead of a patron cultivating a spellcaster, they're training up a warrior with a smattering of spells and other supernatural abilities...closer to a bloodrager or ranger.

I want to see this.


Luthorne wrote:
nighttree wrote:
Luthorne wrote:
Dragon78 wrote:
I would also like to one day see a martial class that uses hexes but I doubt we see anything beyond a few archetypes.

Yeah, I've thought I'd like to see a martial that uses the same design space as the witch, drawing their power from a pact made with an otherworldly power like the witch, but groomed to be a martial champion to serve their purposes instead. Full BAB, 4th-level Intelligence-based spellcasting, and some access to hexes or similar things...something like 3.5's hexblade, but better designed. Perhaps rather than a familiar, instead they are granted a runic weapon - usually two-handed - that acts as their link to their patron, as well as providing an self-improving weapon as their link broadens. Though rather than hexes, something that acts like the mesmerist's hypnotic stare with various bold stare improvements could also be cool and potentially work better with the action economy of a martial character...

Well, at least partially just because I want a few more classes in the design space of a full BAB, 4th-level caster. I'd really like a psychic class with full BAB and 4th-level spellcasting...

Edit: Though, obviously, a new class isn't going to show up in a player's companion! Just musing a bit. Archetypes might be possible...an accursed bloodrager would be pretty neat, especially if they can grab a few hexes as bloodline powers. A hexslinger gunslinger archetype that shoots cursed bullets would be fun too...and a vigilante talent for the cabalist vigilante only (like Harsh Judgment for the zealot) that grants a hex or two could be fun as well. A feat to let the magical girl vigilante archetype snag some witch spells along the lines of the Unsanctioned Knowledge feat for paladins could be fun as well...and a monk or ninja archetype that uses ki to curse people sounds very thematically fun as well...

Hexcrafter Magus ?
Definitely not a full BAB, 4th-level spellcaster. I mean, if you want a magus with some hexes and curse spells, that's fine, I'm more interested in someone that's primarily a martial with some magic or supernatural abilities that fills in a similar concept as the witch. Just instead of a patron cultivating a spellcaster, they're training up a warrior with a smattering of spells and other supernatural abilities...closer to a bloodrager or ranger.

I don't know if this is what you want or not, but Jon Brazer Enterprises Advanced Changelings book has an Accursed bloodrager bloodline, as well as lots of other information on changelings.


2 people marked this as a favorite.

New hexes and curses? Sign me up! Super psyched about this as I am currently playing a witch - and loving it. It is definitely my new favorite class.


Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber, Companion Subscriber

Hopefully it will be at least a dozen new hexes if not more.


I'd really like to see either a re-tooling/re-balancing of the Hag Coven mechanics. Or different options to allow for a reasonable party cooperative involvement in a Coven.

http://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/monster-listings/monstrous-humanoids/hag/


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber, Campaign Setting, Cards, Companion, Maps, Modules, Pawns, Roleplaying Game Subscriber; Pathfinder Battles Case Subscriber; Pathfinder Deluxe Comics Subscriber
Crai wrote:

I'd really like to see either a re-tooling/re-balancing of the Hag Coven mechanics. Or different options to allow for a reasonable party cooperative involvement in a Coven.

http://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/monster-listings/monstrous-humanoids/hag/

Hags Linkified


Brinebeast wrote:


If I am counting correctly we have gotten 9 Hags so far, I hope we get bloodline details for all of them!

Annis Hag
Ash Hag
Blood Hag
Dreamthief Hag
Green Hag
Mute Hag
Night Hag
Sea Hag
Storm Hag

Pit Hag, previously mentioned

Winter Hag

Also Graeae, Witchfire, and Swaithe demons can join covens.

Vildravens, Witchcrows, Crone Queens, and Glaistig have racial hexes, so could join a coven if the Coven hex was selected.

Class-wise; Witches, Hexcrafter Magus, Accursed bloodline Sorcerer, Shaman, Blood Arcanist, Spirit Summoner, and anyone with Shawl of the Crone.

And of course the Collar of the Unbound Coven removes the need for a Hag.


I am hoping for some official version of Hag Disciple PrC, from Wayfinder.

A feat or trait to allow Changlings to join a coven regardless of class.

Maybe a feat or trait to count as a full hag to form a coven.

Additional (lower level) options for a hag cohort (currently only the Blood Hag, 15th equivalent cohort level).

Options for fey-influenced witches. Options for infernal-influenced witches.

Just please make it awesome!

Anyone know when we might get a bit more info on the contents?


Oh, and the Stargazer PrC works to join a coven too (though it is good-aligned).

An option for Wizard and Druid to join covens would be great additions as practically the only casting class that can't (hopefully an archetype, but would love a PrC dedicated to Mestama or Gyronna).

Lamashtu certainly seems like she patrons many witches. The Bouda archetype is associated with gnolls, which almost universaly worship the Mother of Monsters. And the aforementioned Swaithe demons serve her as well.

As a strange idea for a divine patron of witches, one of Asmodeus's titles is Master of Witches.....


Not sure about wizards, but druids joining a coven would be kind of neat. or else Shamans.

Dark Archive

2 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber Subscriber

A witchfire inspired power/hex would be cool


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Dear Paizo, pretty please can you sneak in a one line, PFS legal errata to the cackle hex that says something like "the witch must cackle, chant or recite mystic words of power". Then I will love this book forever.

Scarab Sages

5 people marked this as a favorite.

What I, for one, would REEEAAALLY like is options/add-ons that add more to a Witch's Patron. As is, they're Domains without the Domain Powers or bonus spell slot. They could use a LOT more.

One idea I had for that was a small custom list of appropriate bonus feats for each Patron - maybe you just get one at 1st level and that's it (but without needing to meet prerequisites, because it's an arcane gift), or perhaps you would need prerequisites (or maybe certain kinds thereof, like ability score minimums, but not others, like other feats), but you'd get a few of them as you gained levels (like Bloodline feats). Not much, but something.


I hope they add the missing patron familiars from the faniliar folio. I want an healing patron familiar

Scarab Sages

Time for me, thank you.


Thomas Seitz wrote:
Not sure about wizards, but druids joining a coven would be kind of neat. or else Shamans.

??

Shamans can already join covens.

As for Wizards, they already get so close. There is a Wizard archetype to have a Witch Patron, multiple Wizard archetypes to store spells in your Familiar, and a Wizard archetype that lets them gain Shaman Spirit Hexes.

Just no way to get the Hex coven specifically.

A 1 level dip isn't too onerous, so if they don't add an option it's not the end of the world, I just think it would be nice.

Especially since only Wizards (and Arcanists, but it doesn't help in this case) can take Arcane Discoveries. Which allows Truename so you can have a Night Hag buddy.

I guess that would be a great option instead, add a Greater or Grand Hex to access an Arcane Discovery.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber, Companion Subscriber

I wonder what other classes will get some curse, witch, and/or hag themed love in this one.

Dark Archive

2 people marked this as a favorite.
Neriathale wrote:
Dear Paizo, pretty please can you sneak in a one line, PFS legal errata to the cackle hex that says something like "the witch must cackle, chant or recite mystic words of power". Then I will love this book forever.

Ooh, yes. A gnoll witch that chortles like a hyena, instead of cackling, or a cultist that chants, or a dire corby that just mutters 'doom, doom, doom' to maintain their 'Cackle,' would be cool.

Dark Archive

I'm Hiding In Your Closet wrote:
What I, for one, would REEEAAALLY like is options/add-ons that add more to a Witch's Patron. As is, they're Domains without the Domain Powers or bonus spell slot. They could use a LOT more.

There are already a few winter-witch-themed hexes that work well for a Winter patron, but they could totally use some hexes that specifically resonate with other patrons, to help tie a witch together, thematically. There aren't a ton of hexes that really scream 'Agility' or 'Wisdom' or 'Plague' or whatever, at least not to the sense that Ice Tomb screams 'Winter.'

To take another tack, a 'Pact Witch' whose patron had suggested familiar types, suggested hexes, and some other patron-tied features could be a neat AT.

Liberty's Edge

Well a witchlike gunslinger(or gunslinging witch) could be cool. I doubt it would be in this book(the people of the wastes is better for that thematically), but having them using a pact gun(broken gun + familiar) to deliver touch spells, curses, and various hex-like deeds from a firearm isn't exactly a bad idea.

If not that, Maybe various hex/spell enhancer options. Like maybe using tress tincture to enhance the range or power on strangling hair or a few use of prehensile hair hex.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber, Companion Subscriber

Hex-shooter?


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Dragon78 wrote:
Hex-shooter?

If I can recommend something third party here, Legendary Games did do a 'Deadeye Hexer' class that combines the witch and the gunslinger to good effect.

Grand Lodge

It would fit the theme if they used something like the Breathing Gun from the Hellstorm comics of the Saint of Killers guns from the Preacher series as the weapon template for a gun-slinging witch archetype. I'm thinking of something like a black blade but in a gun form.

SM


Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber, Companion Subscriber

Breathing gun?

Grand Lodge

"Only two Breathing Guns were ever made. The guns can kill demons and angels, hiss in the presence of danger or occult forces, and their bullets may be sentient. There were made for Al Capone, but disappeared soon afterwards."

They're from the Hellstorm: Prince of Lies series from '93-'94. Warren Ellis wrote the scripts for the last part of the series.

SM


Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber, Companion Subscriber

Ok, thanks for the info StarMartyr365.

The ability to add hexes to spells, weapon attacks, and/or kinetic blasts would be interesting.

51 to 90 of 90 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo.com / Product Discussion / Pathfinder Player Companion: Blood of the Coven (PFRPG) All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

Paizo.com Gift Certificates
On Sale and Clearance!


©2002-2017 Paizo Inc.® | Privacy Policy | Contact Us
Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours, Monday through Friday, 10:00 AM to 5:00 PM Pacific time.

Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, Starfinder, the Starfinder logo, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc. The Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Legends, Pathfinder Online, Starfinder Adventure Path, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.